You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014

"....at the recent Sky Poker UKPC 6 Max* thing......"

An opportunity for some shameless spam.

You can vote for the Sky Poker UK Poker Championship as "Best UK Tournament" in the British Poker Awards, here
  • edited October 2014

I'd best get the Diary back on track, update my results for October, & the challenge thing against Lady Spite Call, & reply to all the questions, all of which, fingers crossed, I'll try & do today. Life's been a bit hectic, & I've been a bit out of it for the last week or so.

But BEFORE I do, I promised something completely different.

Here we go then.

I do hope you enjoy this. If you own a dog, or ever have in the past, I'm sure you'll enjoy this.

First, some context.....
  • edited October 2014

My greatest & closest friend in life is a chap called Tom.

He used to be very good at Online Poker back in the day, 8 or 10 years ago, & was a regular winner of that famous "Daddy" Online Tourney every week on Ladbrokes. (Amazing how Ladbrokes Poker has completely imploded, compared to previously, but thats another story).

If you have ever been to an SPT, or Tourney at DTD, & Tom was there, I would have introduced you to him. I introduce him to everyone, because I am so proud to have him as my mate. I love that man to bits, in every way.

He is a Barnsley lad, but these days he lives in Leicestershire - in a field, actually - with his wife, & has four grown up daughters.

He is very good with all animals, but especially horses & dogs.

You've seen Caesar Milan, "The Dog Whisperer" bloke on TV? He's got nothing on Tom, nothing at all, when it comes to training dogs. 

It's all about understanding how a dog, instinctively, thinks. He NEVER hits or chastises his dogs, it's all about tone of voice, & understanding their mind. 

One more sidestory before we start.

Many of you know, or know of, "SPT-Rich", aka TightEnd, aka Tighty, aka Rich Prew

Well this whole thing began because Tighty has a dog, & was struggling to train him properly, so he asked Tom to help.

Tom then made three little You Tube Videos. 

Please have a look, they are only 2 or 3 minutes each.

• edited October 2014

The first video is about understanding the difference - to a dog - between "possession" & "chase".

You must have seen that thing when you throw a ball for your dog to fetch, the dog then fetches it back excitedly, but refuses to give you the ball back. Well here's the reason, & answer.   

Note also how Tom hypnotises the dog.

PS - The dogs name is Kizzy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR-GU20VFEE&list=UUJ74KM-PNISzu8jQjNtUxiQ&index=3

• edited October 2014

The second one is quite different.

In this one (in which Tom is "headless", as he filmed it himself).

This all stems from a dog understanding one word - "No".

Dinnertime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOsiHY5oIw0&list=UUJ74KM-PNISzu8jQjNtUxiQ&index=2

• edited October 2014

And finally, this was Kizzy's first lesson on "HOLD".

This was the question Tighty originally asked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkpIfogsA9k&index=1&list=UUJ74KM-PNISzu8jQjNtUxiQ

• edited October 2014

Good vids. Talks sense. 

Met Tom at my 1st ever SPT at DTD a few years ago. Splendid chap.

Has the best diary by far next door too.....so I hear.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Good vids. Talks sense.  Met Tom at my 1st ever SPT at DTD a few years ago. Splendid chap. Has the best diary by far next door too.....so I hear.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Splendid chap, absolutely.

Best Diary? Don't be silly. He does poetry & stuff, yuk, never writes about tractors or pylons.

• edited October 2014
    Can you see this one? Current total, after 54 DYMs. Team Concrete 21 Team Twiglet 41 Not gonna be playing so many for a while. am trying to challenge myself with a mental crazy NLH task. Using points only to enter freerolls and freeroll sats etc, am gonna task myself with winning £100 from nothing. Will keep track of the NLH as I will still be using BR for the PLO8.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I originally thought you were leaving PLO8, so I was pleased to hear I was wrong, you are the backbone of the PL8 DYM's, we can't be having you wandering off.

Last night was the first night since the "Challenge" (you & me) began that I actually "won", I think. 

I don't really know how the scoring works, but I ran sizzling HOT last night, & of the 7 Tables we shared......

We BOTH lost in one game. 

We BOTH cashed in 3 games.

I cashed, & you did not, in 3 games.

Too little, too late, I fear, but at least I did a little better. 

Course, I'm more into longer challenges, 500 games or more, I'm not so good at these "turbo-wurbo" over in a flash things......

Was pleased to see Ger have a few cashes last night, he's been on a shocking downswing. It happens, nowt you can do about it.

• edited October 2014
    I like the videos Tikay, is there one where the dog plays the guitar? The dog training bit is very relevant to us at the moment.

We sadly lost one of our rescue German Shepherds a couple of months ago. We now have our male rescue GSD (Teddy, who's a star) and now have a rescue Husky cross GSD which we are fostering until they can find a permanent home for her and also took on another rescued GSD on a permanent basis last Sunday.

The Husky cross is a little madam, she has destroyed a number of things in the 'dog room' and knows exactly what you want her to do - she just decides sometimes that she doesn't want to do it!  She also wants to be alpha female which means she is aggressive to our new dog. GSDs are apparently the second most intelligent dog breed, Huskies are the 47th, it looks like she is more Husky than GSD!

Our new GSD is a lovely girl, about 3 years old and was used for breeding until they decided they didn't need her anymore, then they just dumped her. She is stick thin but is responding very well to a bit of TLC. She is a bit nervous of our horses and barks at them at the moment but we will get her out of that. Her reaction when we got her home and let her into the garden was amazing, she just brightened right up, tail wagging and went off to explore, the look on her face was just classic, very much a 'what? I can go anywhere? (we have about 5 acres for them to run around in) Blimey, this is good!

I'm waffling and need to do some work.....have a good day!
  • edited October 2014
    I never meant to imply that I was leaving PLO8 you silly sausage, just wouldn't be playing so many whilst I concern myself with my other challenge too.

The scoring of the 100 game challenge is simples.
    You (or I) score a point each time we cash in a DYM, so each game has to be scored 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1.

The 100 Game Challenge.
    Current total, after 60 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 25
    Team Twiglet 43
  • edited October 2014
    I never meant to imply that I was leaving PLO8 you silly sausage, just wouldn't be playing so many whilst I concern myself with my other challenge too. The scoring of the 100 game challenge is simples. You (or I) score a point each time we cash in a DYM, so each game has to be scored 0-0, 1-0, 0-1 or 1-1. The 100 Game Challenge. Current total, after 60 DYMs. Team Concrete 25 Team Twiglet 43
    Posted by Macacgirl1[/QUOTE

You can't help yourself, can you?

Food food food.

• edited October 2014
    Hi all Just a quick update, we left Vegas on Thursday wow what a place played lots of poker and with my previous win it was all free money, made a couple more final tables with one min cash but I had a blast made me realise I have previously played way too tight when playing live (watch out next spt). Thank you for the recommendation of mount charleston we hired a bright red mustang for a couple of days (the father then kept calling me Sally!) and drove up there for lunch absolutely fantastic what an awesome drive,the following day we went to hoover dam again fantastic but why did they name a dam after a vacuum cleaner? flew to Miami last Thursday and drove down to the keys our plan was to have a couple of nights there at least but it was way too hot and humid so only stayed for one night. We are currently working our way up the east coast of Florida and on Thursday will be driving over to the west coast to our final destination Clearwater beach Hope you are all having fun at the tables See you soon Mother Ps loving the team cement v team twig let challenge - whoop him maca (oh yes you are doing) lol Xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    MOTHER!

I'm SO glad you went up to Mt C, I love that place.

Did you dine inside, or on the Verandah? It may be a bit too chilly for "outside" Dining now, but Brekkie on that Verandah in June was the best thing ever. (It was 25f @ 1am this morning!).

Oddly, I had a red Mustang, too, or similar.

• edited October 2014
    Our dog is called Noodle.

• edited October 2014
    Our dog is called Noodle.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Noodle !!!

Why am i not suprised.
  • edited October 2014
    dog is better than cat apparently

but the closest i've got to that is donkey
    fitting given my results last night (other than winning a hilo mtt)
  • edited October 2014
    dog is better than cat apparently http://migrationology.com/2012/06/eating-dog-cat-meat-china/ but the closest i've got to that is donkey fitting given my results last night (other than winning a hilo mtt)
    Posted by GELDY
    You deffo seemed to ran a bit bad last night Gelders, hope tonight is better. 
  • edited October 2014
    I like the videos Tikay, is there one where the dog plays the guitar? The dog training bit is very relevant to us at the moment. We sadly lost one of our rescue German Shepherds a couple of months ago. We now have our male rescue GSD (Teddy, who's a star) and now have a rescue Husky cross GSD which we are fostering until they can find a permanent home for her and also took on another rescued GSD on a permanent basis last Sunday. The Husky cross is a little madam, she has destroyed a number of things in the 'dog room' and knows exactly what you want her to do - she just decides sometimes that she doesn't want to do it!  She also wants to be alpha female which means she is aggressive to our new dog. GSDs are apparently the second most intelligent dog breed, Huskies are the 47th, it looks like she is more Husky than GSD! Our new GSD is a lovely girl, about 3 years old and was used for breeding until they decided they didn't need her anymore, then they just dumped her. She is stick thin but is responding very well to a bit of TLC. She is a bit nervous of our horses and barks at them at the moment but we will get her out of that. Her reaction when we got her home and let her into the garden was amazing, she just brightened right up, tail wagging and went off to explore, the look on her face was just classic, very much a 'what? I can go anywhere? (we have about 5 acres for them to run around in) Blimey, this is good! I'm waffling and need to do some work.....have a good day!
    Posted by Enut

What a lovely picture that paints, Tuney.

What part of the UK do you live in?

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : What a lovely picture that paints, Tuney. What part of the UK do you live in?
    Posted by Tikay10
    We live in Battle down near the south coast (the actual site of the Battle of Hastings), it's a nice area and we back onto Battle Great Woods. which is good for dog walking and horse riding. We are down a farm track so it's quite peaceful, only this morning I was watching a kingfisher feeding from the bridge over one of our ponds.

Not much concrete but, if you really try, you can just about hear the occasional train in the distance.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : We live in Battle down near the south coast (the actual site of the Battle of Hastings), it's a nice area and we back onto Battle Great Woods. which is good for dog walking and horse riding. We are down a farm track so it's quite peaceful, only this morning I was watching a kingfisher feeding from the bridge over one of our ponds. Not much concrete but, if you really try, you can just about hear the occasional train in the distance.
    Posted by Enut
    That sounds idyllic, you are a very lucky man, & I'm a tad envious.

Hope you are running a little better at the Tables, I know you have had a bit of a bad run the previous few days. Just think of that kingfisher, that must ease the pain.

• edited October 2014

I'm going to, belatedly, get up to date on reporting my numbers, which I have yet to do even once in October.

I remember, on a similar "Challenge" thread, a long time ago, GarryQQQ saying "the key thing is to update DAILY, win or lose". And I have, every single day, until this month. Some of those Updates have been painful, but I Updated come rain or shine.

I achieved my Challenge some time ago, but I so love the game, & the thread, that I just continued. 

I had a bad September, & lost money for the first month ever, & I was a bit under the weather. I'd also played a lot of volume in September, & lost a bit of "life balance". I LOVE poker, but I also cherish some balance, too, time to read books, watch documentaries, do other stuff. 

Anyway, bla bla bla, I'm mostly over whatever ailed me, man flu or whatever, & intend to continue for a while. I think I'll tweak a few things (again...) & one of those is to try & maybe turn down the volume a bit, rather than break my neck to get 3,000 Reward Points & the extra 50% that goes with that, & concentrate more on playing better. I have reduced my maximum number of Tables from 8 to 6, to, to help me play better - 6 seems to be my optimum. I've also reduced my session lengths a bit, it used to be enough to get 150 Reward Points per night, which was around 35 Games, but I've been playing between 15 & 25 per night this month. By choice, I'd play more £5 & £10 games, but the £3 games, for liquidity reasons, will always feature in my schedule.

So, there we are.

We left off at the end of September, when things were not good & I was losing, it felt, night after night.

Would October be any better?  
  • edited October 2014

Aarrggh.

Whilst I am busy having a mini-chunter because I lost £100 or whatever in September, I was reminded, by a good friend, of something very sad.

A word or two of encouragement from the Plop Crew would not go astray,
    HERE
  • edited October 2014

So, back to the Challenge.

For context, the cliffs are.....

The Challenge was to turn £200 into £1,200.

This was achieved in short order, nothing spectacular, just steady profits each month. Eventually, I peaked at around £1,450, some 3 or 4 months ago.

Since then, it has been treading water at best, & in September, I lost around £100, all of it in a "disastrous" final week.

So I headed into September a little warily.....

My opening balance on 1st October was £1,271.91. I included the £55.31 of September Reward Points money in that figure, & all updates subsequently, even though it was not received until Tuesday of this week.

• edited October 2014

1st October.

Played 15

£3 P10, W5 L5

£5.50 P4 W1, L3

£11 P1 W0 L1

Won/Lost £20

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £1.33

October, Games Won/Lost

£3.30, 5 from 10 =  50%

£5.50 1 from 4 = 25%

£11 0% 0 from 1 - 0%

Played 15, W6 L9 (40%)

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £1.33

October Overall -£20

Account Balance £1,251.91
  • edited October 2014

Marv, great start!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That sounds idyllic, you are a very lucky man, & I'm a tad envious. Hope you are running a little better at the Tables, I know you have had a bit of a bad run the previous few days. Just think of that kingfisher, that must ease the pain.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not really lucky Tikay, I have worked hard for over 25 years building up my business. For example I took last week off, it was my first week off this year and even then I ended up doing a bit of work at the start of the week and finished it with man flu! That'll teach me to take a week off! 

'Bad run?' well a bit I suppose but I am doing ok at a little cash and holdem DYMs so bankroll is actually increasing. As I have said before I play PLO8 (and all poker) for fun really.

I seem to usually get to the last 4 and then go out in 4th! Running card dead at that stage is a speciality of mine, I played one a few days ago and ended up shoving with spanners (but double suited spanners) into your BB knowing that you will fold most hands and if you called I had 2 suits to hit, anyway you called, turned over a premium hand which also had the same 2 suits! Needless to say one of the flushes hit but your was obviously better than mine!

You did it again in the last one I played last night and called my shove with a premium hand, will you stop doing that?

Have a good day!
  • edited October 2014

2nd October.

Played 18

£3 P14, W9 L5

£5.50 P4 W1, L3

£11 P0 W0 L0

Won/Lost £4.20

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.23

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 14 from 24 = 58%

£5.50 2 from 8 = 25%

£11 0% 0 from 1 - 0%

Played 33, W16 L17 (48%)

October Overall -£14.20

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.43

Account Balance £1,247.70
  • edited October 2014

3rd October.

Played 15

£3 P13, W4 L9

£5.50 P2 W2, L0

£11 P0 W0 L0

Won/Lost £9.90

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.66

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 18 from 37 = 49%

£5.50 4 from 10 = 40%

£11 0% 0 from 1 - 0%

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.50

Played 48, W22 L26 (46%)

October Overall -£24.10

Account Balance £1,223.60
  • edited October 2014

Going like a train, then. Backwards.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not really lucky Tikay, I have worked hard for over 25 years building up my business. For example I took last week off, it was my first week off this year and even then I ended up doing a bit of work at the start of the week and finished it with man flu! That'll teach me to take a week off!  'Bad run?' well a bit I suppose but I am doing ok at a little cash and holdem DYMs so bankroll is actually increasing. As I have said before I play PLO8 (and all poker) for fun really. I seem to usually get to the last 4 and then go out in 4th! Running card dead at that stage is a speciality of mine, I played one a few days ago and ended up shoving with spanners (but double suited spanners) into your BB knowing that you will fold most hands and if you called I had 2 suits to hit, anyway you called, turned over a premium hand which also had the same 2 suits! Needless to say one of the flushes hit but your was obviously better than mine! You did it again in the last one I played last night and called my shove with a premium hand, will you stop doing that? Have a good day!
    Posted by Enut
    good on you tuney
    same as with poker, in life a bit of luck helps but where we get to will gererally depend on the amount of blood, sweat & tears that we spiil along the way.