You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Looks like how i ran i July/August.

September has been good for me as i've i've recovered my BR to where it was at the start of July.

Swings & Swongs and all that jazz !
  • edited October 2014

A good & a bad from last night.

The bad. 

A chap - BIG winner in MTT's but not so @ SNG's, limped from a 5 big stack. 

I had A-K-4-2 & jammed on him.

He called. He had the awesome 2-3-3-5. 

The flop was 3-5-5 - ship the boat - but I was nicely wrapped to redraw to the low. Blankety blank. 

And I'm thinking, why would anyone limp-call with that? Raise, fine, but limp-call for his whole stack? It's all a mystery to me.

The good.

Alexis - very solid was the villain. We both had playable stacks. I was being a bit gung-ho, & opened with A-2-7-9 hh.

He re-potted.

Now when Alexis repots me, HE HAS THEM ACE THINGS. 

For some reason, I could not find the fold (bad mistake, I was not pot stuck), & we got it in.

As expected, he has Aces, but I have the better low. 

Low cards please dealer....... 

It came J-J-7. 

Oops, I'm in trouble now. Running low cards please Dealer.

Turn.......7

River......7

So I snap thought "he has the house, 7-7-7-A-A", but then, when the chips slid across to me, I realised I had the quads.......;)

• edited October 2014

Gelders has been a revelation, love to see how he has re-invented himself.

We were on three tables at the same time at one point last night, & he had over 5,000 chips on each of them.

Eventually, I formulated a way to try & cope with his relentless aggression, but it really makes you think.

Some exciting games in store, for sure. 

Got some more September wrap-ups to do, (shortly) but I'll be back on the tables tonight.

As Mick the Scaffold notes, & Spite Call Twiglet, these are the swings & swongs.  

• edited October 2014
    Well Tikay I hate to say 'I told you so' but last night when you got off to a good start I said you should stop, bank the winning month and leave it there. Now look what you've gone and done!

One of the problems with the influx of good new players is that you're edge is going to be less and variance is just going to be a tart now and again. Never mind,  your mojo will return.

If it makes you feel better (it won't,  I'm just kicking you when you're down) I cashed in all but one STT last night (lost a 3.30 late on) AND 3 from 5 MTTs (albeit small cashes). The only downer was going out 3 from the bubble in the £55 BH when I had AQ on a AK7 board, allin on the flop and get called by 87 (!) Oppo obviously turns the trips and off I go. Ho hum, even then I made a small profit due to bounties.

Banned from playing tonight due to the late finish last night so have a good evening, it's a new month after all!
  • edited October 2014

Perhaps have a month on PLO in October with the odd PLO8 thrown in for the social side? 

A change is as good as a rest and all that.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Well Tikay I hate to say 'I told you so' but last night when you got off to a good start I said you should stop, bank the winning month and leave it there. Now look what you've gone and done! One of the problems with the influx of good new players is that you're edge is going to be less and variance is just going to be a tart now and again. Never mind,  your mojo will return. If it makes you feel better (it won't,  I'm just kicking you when you're down) I cashed in all but one STT last night (lost a 3.30 late on) AND 3 from 5 MTTs (albeit small cashes). The only downer was going out 3 from the bubble in the £55 BH when I had AQ on a AK7 board, allin on the flop and get called by 87 (!) Oppo obviously turns the trips and off I go. Ho hum, even then I made a small profit due to bounties. Banned from playing tonight due to the late finish last night so have a good evening, it's a new month after all!
    Posted by Enut
    You did, too.

I thought about it, but really, winning or losing, say, £30, does not make a deal of odds in the greater scheme of things. Anyway, I enjoy playing too much to stop early!

You & Trevil were both deep in the PLO8 MTT too, as I recall?
  • edited October 2014
    Perhaps have a month on PLO in October with the odd PLO8 thrown in for the social side?  A change is as good as a rest and all that.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    I'll try & play a bit of PLO, yes, but having, with the rest of the Ploppers, help to build up the PLO8 liquidity, it feels like a big challenge to repeat the trick at PLO.

Deffo tempting though, I do like a challenge.

Maybe I could do "split" evenings, a few hours of each.

I certainly could not play both at the same time. Carnage awaits for all who go down rhat road.....
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You did, too. I thought about it, but really, winning or losing, say, £30, does not make a deal of odds in the greater scheme of things. Anyway, I enjoy playing too much to stop early! You & Trevil were both deep in the PLO8 MTT too, as I recall?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes we were and Trevil duly spanked my botty in heads up battle. If I recall in the last hand I flopped the mother of all draws (nut flush and nut low) and proceeded to miss both. He played v well and deserved the win.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes we were and Trevil duly spanked my botty in heads up battle. If I recall in the last hand I flopped the mother of all draws (nut flush and nut low) and proceeded to miss both. He played v well and deserved the win.
    Posted by Enut
    Well 1-2 in either order is pretty good, well done both of you.

He's a proper handful in the DYM's, too, turns up with all sorts.
  • edited October 2014
    Posting this to give you a laugh Tikay...

I was going to post a couple of exit hands in the clinic but this is not worthy....

1. I had got short after letting the big stack bully me when I thought we were on the bubble (I hadn't realised it was a 6max)
    2. I had misread stack sizes and thought if both of us exited I would still get 2nd (wrong again)

Hence the rather poor call here...

Now there was no guarantee either was as strong as they were but still...

Hand History #822416682 (12:28 30/09/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    Phantom66 Small blind  200.00 200.00 70.00
    noviceplay Big blind  285.00 485.00 0.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

markmarkma Raise  800.00 1285.00 7645.00
    Phantom66 All-in  70.00 1355.00 0.00
    markmarkma Unmatched bet  515.00 840.00 8160.00
    Phantom66 Show
    • Q

noviceplay Show
    • K
    • A

markmarkma Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• J

River

markmarkma Win high Pair of Aces 420.00  8580.00
    markmarkma Win low 8-low 420.00  9000.00
    This wasnt much better - in my diary I had misrembered me having suited cards which may have made the reshove more pallatable. As it was OK PLO8 play to r/r = shocking DYM play when you look at stack sizes and know that big stack seems incapable of laying a hand down.

edit:2nd H/H withdrawn as it was causing a few problems! will try again later. But basically busted out when s/stack was risking his and I had AAKJos.

The morale boost for you Mr Tikay - apart from a chuckle at my ineptitude - is that I am on a streak of 9/10 at £3.30 DYMs and it took the above hand to break a run of 8 wins, which just goes to show how much variance is at play here - I have no doubt that it will be very tough for me to make a +ROI in the long run.
  • edited October 2014
    This is how Twiggy rolls ! :-)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    scank300 Small blind   500.00 500.00 1219.52
    Macacgirl1 Big blind   1000.00 1500.00 201.41
      Your hole cards
    • A

alexis74 Fold        
    VespaPX Raise   2000.00 3500.00 2461.57
    scank300 All-in   1219.52 4719.52 0.00
    Macacgirl1 All-in   201.41 4920.93 0.00
    VespaPX Unmatched bet   280.48 4640.45 2742.05
    scank300 Show
    • Q
    • A
    • J
    • J

Macacgirl1 Show

VespaPX Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

River

Macacgirl1 Win high Full House, 3s and 2s 1802.13   1802.13
    VespaPX Win high Full House, 2s and 10s 518.10   3260.15
    VespaPX Win low 5-low 2320.22   5580.37
  • edited October 2014
    starting to mix it up in NLHE
    chat box from tonight's main
    "what is geldy doing??"
  • edited October 2014
    Look great stuff lads, will comment properly in the morning.

Am having a mid-session break to watch Arsenal, will be back for part deux later.
  • edited October 2014

My 3377 all-in?
    That situation, it was the right thing to do I reckon.  I couldn't fold and rely on you (vesp) scooping to save me could I?
    Cracking result!

• edited October 2014
    My 3377 all-in? That situation, it was the right thing to do I reckon.  I couldn't fold and rely on you (vesp) scooping to save me could I? Cracking result!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I was fully expecting a call from you given your tiny stack, but i wasn't expecting the Small Blind to get involved!
    Epic game, i think the first time i've been to level 11.
  • edited October 2014

So Mr. K.
    We played 11 games together last night.

Scores On The Doors.
    TK - 6/11
    Mac - 8/11

Current total, after 31 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 12
    Team Twiglet 24

I am prepared to call it a draw if you promise to never give myself and Amarie verbal ever again.
    And to admit that you are scared as you might lose this challenge to a "girlie".
    And, you never mention bisto, trains, concrete and bridges in the chat-box ever again.
    And, you have to actively participate in the "what we have had/are going to have for dinner" discussions in the chat-box. For 60 days.

That sounds perfectly reasonable!

• edited October 2014
    So Mr. K. We played 11 games together last night. Scores On The Doors. TK - 6/11 Mac - 8/11 Current total, after 31 DYMs. Team Concrete 12 Team Twiglet 24 I am prepared to call it a draw if you promise to never give myself and Amarie verbal ever again. And to admit that you are scared as you might lose this challenge to a "girlie". And, you never mention bisto, trains, concrete and bridges in the chat-box ever again. And, you have to actively participate in the "what we have had/are going to have for dinner" discussions in the chat-box. For 60 days. That sounds perfectly reasonable!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Never, never, NEVER. Do you hear me? NEVER! *

* I reserve the right to re-negotiate if you reach 99 before me.
      That sounds perfecty reasonable.
  • edited October 2014
    Well, the challenge isn't who gets to 100 first, it's who has the most wins after 100 total games.
    So there.
    Final offer, no further negotiations allowed.
  • edited October 2014
    Current total, after 41 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 18
    Team Twiglet 30

Truce called to the challenge as I was fed up of trying!
    Had two glasses of wine, played like a baboon and promptly lost six games on the trot.
    Awesome stuff!
    Take that bank roll!
  • edited October 2014
    Current total, after 41 DYMs. Team Concrete 18 Team Twiglet 30 Truce called to the challenge as I was fed up of trying! Had two glasses of wine, played like a baboon and promptly lost six games on the trot. Awesome stuff! Take that bank roll!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I knew I should've played last nite!  Sigh...
  • edited October 2014
    Just stopping by to give my best Tikay! See you at the tables perhaps :)
  • edited October 2014
    Just stopping by to give my best Tikay! See you at the tables perhaps :)
    Posted by patwalshh

Pat!

Yeah, if you fancy a little PLO8, I'm the mark at the moment, I'm in the middle (well I hope near the end, lol) of my biggest downswong ever.

Fill 'yer boots!
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Mr Tikay sir,just wanted to post my best wishes and a huge thanks for you know what. You are a true gent. good luck on your quest for pl08 domination,  I may join you sometime on the virtual felt.its a fab game :)
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Mr Tikay sir,just wanted to post my best wishes and a huge thanks for you know what. You are a true gent. good luck on your quest for pl08 domination,  I may join you sometime on the virtual felt.its a fab game :)
    Posted by tomgoodun

Thanks Tom.

I cannot begin to imagine the mental turmoil you must be going through right now.

For those who have not followed Tom's Diary, over in "The Rail", this is the bottom line......

"...I have an appointment next Friday when they will be explaining the radiotherapy treatment,that is a rather daunting prospect...."

We can but imagine.

Tom's Diary is HERE
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Tikay if it makes you feel any better Im also in my biggest downswing ever! Waited and waited yesterday against team aggro. Got aa22 and shoved ... was called as expected flop comes 366 .....aggressor goes all in , I call . They have 36 in their hand....no low came ....same old story at the moment!

Hope it turns for us both. On the plus side im crushing on another site which makes it all the stranger why things are going so bad here!

Ger
  • edited October 2014
    Hi Tikay if it makes you feel any better Im also in my biggest downswing ever! Waited and waited yesterday against team aggro. Got aa22 and shoved ... was called as expected flop comes 366 .....aggressor goes all in , I call . They have 36 in their hand....no low came ....same old story at the moment! Hope it turns for us both. On the plus side im crushing on another site which makes it all the stranger why things are going so bad here! Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    It happens Ger, but I hope it soon turns for you.

Funny how it messes with our heads. I'm not sure if I'm currently on a Downswong, or the first 12 months were an Upswong.......!

Anyway, I'm keeping the volume low at the mo, until the storm passes.

It would help if I stopped raising into Macac when she has the Aces, lol. Did it twice last night, & once the night before. That's bad timing rather than bad luck or bad play, & I always had a genuine hand, just that hers was genuiner.......

I was very short in one last night, 4 of us left, I'm Button to Miss Twiglet's BB. She had around 5,000 chips or something ridic, & I had 2 Bigs I think but I found Aces, really good aces, so I shoved into her monster stack.

And what did she do?

Took another swig of wine from the bottle & SPITE FOLDED.

That woman is a menace.

• edited October 2014
    Not really sure why you're struggling with these. 
    Played one of your funny games last. I got it in with 2 others and I don't really know what i actually had but all the chips came my way.
    Played 1 Won 1 Booked the win.  Easy game

#inspiration
  • edited October 2014
    Not really sure why you're struggling with these.  Played one of your funny games last. I got it in with 2 others and I don't really know what i actually had but all the chips came my way. Played 1 Won 1 Booked the win.  Easy game #inspiration
    Posted by Jac35
    Love that, full of quality rubs.

Even a hashtag.

# sick, so so sick........

• edited October 2014
    That game with Jac was weird, 'twas over in about 15 minutes!

Anyway, to shame TK into trying harder and not simply giving up when he plays me, the current challenge figures are as follows.

After 49 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 19
    Team Twiglet 37

ps. I don't swig wine from the bottle, only rum.
  • edited October 2014
    This sort of thing is probably what Tikay is struggling with:-

£11 PLO8 DYM, I have 13 BB left (1370 chips blinds 50/100).

Early position raiser makes it 350 and I have AA2Q with 2 hearts, this used to be known as a 'premium hand'. Anyway I pot it to 1100 and the other guy calls.

Flop comes Jc 6c 6h, I go in for my remaining 270 chips and the other guy calls and turns over.......4c 6c 8 9.

Turn is the Qc so he improves to the flush and the river is a 10h and I am out in 5th position.

Lesson to be learned? Well obviously AA2Q is no longer a premium hand but 4,6,8,9 is the pre flop nuts and can't be folded to a reraise.

This sort of thing is what Tikay seems to be running into, PLO8 is a strange, strange game!

Run well!

ps it wasn't Twiglet either!