You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014
    That is quite the norm enut.
    A raise is no longer respected, but seen as an opportunity to gamble.
  • edited October 2014
    Omaha, Omaha, Omaha, Did someone say Omaha?
    hmmm, oh, it must have been me. that's right guy's, I mention it because I've just won my first ever tourney in Omaha. How pleased am I? I'll tell you. Very, very pleased in deed.
       Only my second or third tourney in this format, albeit a small stakes tourney but, we all have to learn somewhere.
       I do like this format, but have recently discovered another game with four cards
    PLO8. Now, this is a different ball game altogether high cards and low cards.
    what's that all about? Either way, they both make you think about the game in a different way. I think the Omaha type game can improve your NLHE GAME imo.

ajmilton260001£6.50Insomniac102£3.901234dave03£2.60
    Gl GUY'S  CYA SOON

Regards Alan
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    That is quite the norm enut. A raise is no longer respected, but seen as an opportunity to gamble.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Its actually getting ridiculous, I played a PLO8 tournament tonight and some of the cards I saw being played made me nervous to open a pot, trying to put people on a range is impossible. 
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Its actually getting ridiculous, I played a PLO8 tournament tonight and some of the cards I saw being played made me nervous to open a pot, trying to put people on a range is impossible. 
    Posted by HENDRIK62

I think i was at your table for a while and i agree some of the hands were optimistic at best!
    I just sat there patiently, saw cheap flops and stacked them when i had the nuts as they were calling with anything:-)

Came 2nd in the end :-)
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I think i was at your table for a while and i agree some of the hands were optimistic at best! I just sat there patiently, saw cheap flops and stacked them when i had the nuts as they were calling with anything:-) Came 2nd in the end :-)
    Posted by VespaPX

Yes we did Vespa, very well played waiting them out, unfortunately I lost patience lol.

I guess in many ways we just need to adjust the thinking somewhat, expect the unexpected, and in my case not leading out into a supposedly dry board have had a pot raise called pre flop......obviously the 'dry' board smashed his range completely.......bye bye me ;-)
  • edited October 2014
    That game with Jac was weird, 'twas over in about 15 minutes! Anyway, to shame TK into trying harder and not simply giving up when he plays me, the current challenge figures are as follows. After 49 DYMs. Team Concrete 19 Team Twiglet 37 ps. I don't swig wine from the bottle, only rum.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    OBJECTION!
  • edited October 2014
  • edited October 2014
    Omaha, Omaha , Omaha , Did someone say Omaha? hmmm, oh, it must have been me. that's right guy's, I mention it because I've just won my first ever tourney in Omaha. How pleased am I? I'll tell you. Very, very pleased in deed.    Only my second or third tourney in this format, albeit a small stakes tourney but, we all have to learn somewhere.    I do like this format, but have recently discovered another game with four cards PLO8. Now, this is a different ball game altogether high cards and low cards. what's that all about? Either way, they both make you think about the game in a different way. I think the Omaha type game can improve your NLHE GAME imo.    ajmilton 26000 1 £6.50 Insomniac1 0 2 £3.90 1234dave 0 3 £2.60 Gl GUY'S  CYA SOON Regards Alan
    Posted by ajmilton
    Just a bit!

Good stuff Alan, & I hope you stay with the game.
  • edited October 2014
    Thinking about optimistic hands...
    I was playing a £3 DYM yesterday.  Level 3, all players remaining. I'm on the BB and am dealt AAA9. It's a snap fold hand.  Anyways, first to act pot raises it, so, there's the other ace I think... what followed left me laughing actually... everyone called around to me, I fold.
    So it's five handed and the flop comes A4J!
    What then happened, amazed me, it became an all-in between four players.
    Someone will have a set of jacks I think, someone will have a set of fours I think, that was a big fat NOPE! One player had Queens and no lo draw and the other three players have four random low cards.
    Turn and river come Q9.
    Everything about the game was crazy.
    How could mr QQ think he was winning, why were three players all-in on a lo draw, why were they playing those hands to start with. Puzzling stuff!
  • edited October 2014
    That is quite the norm enut. A raise is no longer respected, but seen as an opportunity to gamble.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    (In reply to Tuney, also).

Yup, & a perfectly legit tactic to just go bananas with "any four".

As more & more people are now playing the game here, it is quite natural to expect more of this.

Personally, I LOVE to play against these guys, they really add spice to the game, & make you think tactically.

There were 2 games last night where a player just raised EVERY HAND pre-flop, then potted every street. It's scary, but huge fun, & if you play technically correct, & keep getting it in with the correct hands, you'll always beat them long term, but you'll take a few flesh wounds along the way.

In one of the 2 games last night, I knew what the guy was doing, & decided that once I found the right hand, I'd take him on. We MUST fully commit when we do, get the lot in pre if we can, because we WILL be favourite. Don't mean we'll win, but we just need to keep getting it in good, & it'll be fine.

My man & I went to war, me with A-2-8-K DS, & he turned over the extraordinary J-9-2-2. (!)The flop was 7-7-2 (yup, the case 2) & so he flopped the boat, but my emergency low gave me the chop.

The guy busted 2 players early, & so had 6,000 chips, so it was all very tactical, & tremendous fun.

We want a table full of these guys every game.
  • edited October 2014
    Thinking about optimistic hands... I was playing a £3 DYM yesterday.  Level 3, all players remaining. I'm on the BB and am dealt AAA9. It's a snap fold hand.  Anyways, first to act pot raises it, so, there's the other ace I think... what followed left me laughing actually... everyone called around to me, I fold. So it's five handed and the flop comes A4J! What then happened, amazed me, it became an all-in between four players. Someone will have a set of jacks I think, someone will have a set of fours I think, that was a big fat NOPE! One player had Queens and no lo draw and the other three players have four random low cards. Turn and river come Q9. Everything about the game was crazy. How could mr QQ think he was winning, why were three players all-in on a lo draw, why were they playing those hands to start with. Puzzling stuff!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Bizarre - but good. It's almost impossible to imagine that FIVE players could take a flop without an Ace between them. An ace is HUGE in PLO8.

There was a comical situatiuon last night involving Maca actually.

Chap got a little "cross" with her, & after he lost the hand called her a "fish".

I suggested that she might just be the most consistently profitably & technically correct PLO8 player on the site at PLO8.

He replied "what is PLO8?", followed by "is this PLO8?"

Epic scenes.

• edited October 2014

I've not posted any results for October yet, I've only been playing a small session each evening, but I'll resume @ full chat soon I expect.

I can tell you that last night was my first winning session in October (£6.20!), so yeah, going well, send more money, sorta thing.

But before that, I have something completely different for you. Not even poker-related, but it fascinated me. Need to get a bit more balance into this Diary, we can't haver poker poker poker, or we'll all fall asleep.

Will try & Post it today, in between watching Arc day, the football & the NFL. 

Deffo something completely different......

• edited October 2014
    I It's scary, but huge fun, & if you play technically correct, & keep getting it in with the correct hands, you'll always beat them long term, but you'll take a few flesh wounds along the way.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Or lose an arm &  a leg?  Not been able to play much this week.  Love PLO8!  
    Strangely, I "discovered" PLO by accident one night when I reg'd for a PLO dym by mistake.  I  asked in chat box if everyone else had got 4 x cards!  :-(   When it became obvs I wasn't joking I got some help from a couple of the other players.  I also googled PLO to try and learn a bit more about it and much to my surprise..I cashed! 

Been downhill ever since........

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Or lose an arm &  a leg?  Not been able to play much this week.  Love PLO8!   Strangely, I "discovered" PLO by accident one night when I reg'd for a PLO dym by mistake.  I  asked in chat box if everyone else had got 4 x cards!  :-(   When it became obvs I wasn't joking I got some help from a couple of the other players.  I also googled PLO to try and learn a bit more about it and much to my surprise..I cashed!  Been downhill ever since........  
    Posted by Glenelg

i played and cashed my first ever plo mtt on that same basis. Just played ultra aggro to make up for my lack of knowledge. 

• edited October 2014
    Current total, after 53 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 20
    Team Twiglet 41
  • edited October 2014
    Owned by Mr Kendall !
    My thoughts

1. TK's limping range in early levels would include hands like AK36 AK27 AK46 etc...
    2. Didn't think he would have 2 Aces as i had 2.
    3. If he had a 7 i'm only looking at winning the low end but there would be a chance i would be quartered.
    4. Still an early level to put all my chips at risk.

Yeh i know its too tight so flame away :-))

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    barca8 Small blind   25.00 25.00 2292.50
    VespaPX Big blind   50.00 75.00 1965.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q
    • A

tikay1 Call   50.00 125.00 1840.00
    w4rlock Fold        
    koko10 Fold        
    daverozz Fold        
    barca8 Call   25.00 150.00 2267.50
    VespaPX Raise   150.00 300.00 1815.00
    tikay1 Call   150.00 450.00 1690.00
    barca8 Fold        
    Flop

VespaPX Bet   450.00 900.00 1365.00
    tikay1 All-in   1690.00 2590.00 0.00
    VespaPX Fold        
    tikay1 Show
    • A
    • A
    • K

tikay1 Win   1350.00   1350.00
    tikay1 Return   1240.00 0.00 2590.00
  • edited October 2014

Ha!

Thanks Mick.

Been a bit busy today, & not put my "And Now For Something Completely Different" up yet, but I'll answer you first.

So......
  • edited October 2014

...that hand v Vespa.

I thought it was really interesting actually.

When I suggested (on the table "chat box") that you ought to Post it, one chap said "no, don't, tikay wants to look good & make Vespa feel bad".  Nothing could be further from the truth, & you know that.

It was one of those hands where, I think, we both out-thought ourselves, & it could have panned out so many different ways as it happens.

For starters, your hand was much better than mine, in that you had a good low drawing hand, whereas I did not have a low, which, partly, accounts for my rather odd play here.

I think we both made mistakes here, but my play was probably the worse of the two.

So, my thinking.

It was early in the game, 25-50 Blinds, & I'm UTG with bad aces, & no low. If I pot it here & get 4 callers (most likely) I'll struggle to continue on most flops. 

Could I fold it pre? Don't think so, bit tight that.

Ideally, I want this heads up. Even better, if I limp here & someone behind does pot it, then I've got some leverage to re-pot, & we can go to war. I can take on one oppo, but not 2 or 3.

It really wrong-footed me when you raised me, oop, as I know you will have noted my suspicious limp. I do limp early doors sometimes, but only with a pre-set plan.

When you pot it OOP, I was really confused, as you don't raise lightly against me.

I tried to evaluate your range here. K-K with a nice low maybe? Maybe, but I have a blocker king, so unlikely.

Eventually, I decided you had a strong low, A-2-3-x, even though I had blocker aces. Never for a moment did I consider you might also have the aces!

So, I'm looking for a high flop, ideally with 2 clubs, even more ideally with an Ace, & without a King. I planned to give this up on any other flops.  

It came 3-7-7. 

OK, I'll have to give up, as I'm gonna be drawing to half at best, so time to abandon ship. 

But when you snap-potted it, without even waiting a moment, it suddenly occured to me that it was a standard c-bet, almost certainly with an A-2-x-x hand.  

So I reasoned that I could steal this now, & re-potted.

I'm thinking that if you DO have an A-2-3-x sort of hand, even though you are drawing to the nut low, you cannot POSSIBLY call my re-raise on the flop, you are too good to continue when you now know you are drawing to half at best. (If you have the 7, so be it, you get the lot). It was a sort of squeeze.

So I re-potted. 

As we never saw a turn or river, we'll never know how it may have ended, but you still had low outs to three-quarter me.

The odd thing here is that if we both play it "properly" (?) pre, then we get the lot in pre-flop, & we get to see the whole board. In which case, you had far more equity, as you had the low draw.

Lovely hand, really made me think.

Pretty sure we both out-thought ourselves tbh.

• edited October 2014
    Current total, after 53 DYMs. Team Concrete 20 Team Twiglet 41
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Sorry, for some reason, I can't see that Post.
  • edited October 2014
    Thanks for the detailed reply Tony, more food for thought, love it cheers.

Yup i think we out-thunked ourselves ! :-)

Hope you finished your homework and got it in on time this morning.
    Hate to see you in detention !
  • edited October 2014
    Can you see this one?

Current total, after 54 DYMs.
    Team Concrete 21
    Team Twiglet 41

Not gonna be playing so many for a while. am trying to challenge myself with a mental crazy NLH task.
    Using points only to enter freerolls and freeroll sats etc, am gonna task myself with winning £100 from nothing.

Will keep track of the NLH as I will still be using BR for the PLO8.
  • edited October 2014
    Can you see this one? Current total, after 54 DYMs. Team Concrete 21 Team Twiglet 41 Not gonna be playing so many for a while. am trying to challenge myself with a mental crazy NLH task. Using points only to enter freerolls and freeroll sats etc, am gonna task myself with winning £100 from nothing. Will keep track of the NLH as I will still be using BR for the PLO8.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Good Luck - Will you be posting a diary?
  • edited October 2014
    Ta, I think there's enough diary postings tbh! As and when I post details of team concrete vs team twiglet, I'll put a little footnote type thing, if anything of note happens regarding the NLH freeroll thingummy.
  • edited October 2014
    Ta, I think there's enough diary postings tbh! As and when I post details of team concrete vs team twiglet, I'll put a little footnote type thing, if anything of note happens regarding the NLH freeroll thingummy.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    You should have a diary entitled...

GONE FISHING !
  • edited October 2014
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Surely team concrete will have to concede defeat soon, perhaps they should allow substitutes as team concretes star player seems a little out of form at the moment. 

Good luck with the NLH freeroll thingummy, I have about 18000 points and can't for the life of me bring myself to enter freerolls with them (veiled brag?) 
  • edited October 2014
    Hi all

Just a quick update, we left Vegas on Thursday wow what a place played lots of poker and with my previous win it was all free money, made a couple more final tables with one min cash but I had a blast made me realise I have previously played way too tight when playing live (watch out next spt). Thank you for the recommendation of mount charleston we hired a bright red mustang for a couple of days (the father then kept calling me Sally!) and drove up there for lunch absolutely fantastic what an awesome drive,the following day we went to hoover dam again fantastic but why did they name a dam after a vacuum cleaner?

flew to Miami last Thursday and drove down to the keys our plan was to have a couple of nights there at least but it was way too hot and humid so only stayed for one night.

We are currently working our way up the east coast of Florida and on Thursday will be driving over to the west coast to our final destination Clearwater beach

Hope you are all having fun at the tables

See you soon
    Mother
    Ps loving the team cement v team twig let challenge - whoop him maca (oh yes you are doing) lol
    Xxx
  • edited October 2014

Hi Enut, my challenge is simply because I wanted something which would be extremely difficult to do.  From a theoretical BR of zero (I can't withdraw my actual BR as I still want to play PLO8 simultaneously) to £100, has to be difficult, and that's the point.
    Challenge currently sits at £1.11p, check me out!

Team Concrete vs Team Twiglet is the last of these daft things I ever do! It goes against my nature to play properly in every PLO8 game just to try and cash.

• edited October 2014
    ok
    moving onto phase 2 of my new approach
    there are a few tweaks i will be applying
    but that's all i will say for now
    loving the challenge but feel that having teams of 1 is somewhat exclusive and debatable in nomenclature.
  • edited October 2014
    Have you taken a week off from the show to concentrate on your pokerz Tikay?  Have to give Laura some credit she's been doing a great job.
  • edited October 2014
    Have you taken a week off from the show to concentrate on your pokerz Tikay?  Have to give Laura some credit she's been doing a great job.
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Ha! Plenty of time for poker now, I only do 2 Shows per month these days, though Laura is a Presenter, & I'm an Analyst - they are different jobs completely.

I agree, though, she is very good at her job. Oddly, I can't recall ever doing a Show with her, I am usually "paired" with Anna these days, or Boycey, when I do the "Betting Preview" Shows, which I almost always get given to do. Both my October Shows are "Betting Preview Shows. I did do some work with Laura in Las Vegas this year though, &, extensively, at the recent Sky Poker UKPC 6 Max* thing.  

Now & then - very rarely these days - I work with that other fella, the Voice Over bloke, can't remember his name right now. The smug looking one, did that "spot the sausage" thing on children's TV.

Here he is, back in the day when we were in that 3D Studio, apparently perched on poles.