You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2014

11th October.

Played 20

£3 P13, W7 L6

£5.50 P7 W6, L1

£11 P0 W0 L0

Won/Lost £20.60

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £1.03

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 60 from 101 = 59%

£5.50, 31 from 50 = 62%

£11, 12 from 14 - 86%

Played 165, W103 L62 (62%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £158.40

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.96

Account Balance £1,409.10
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You must have seen enormous changes in those 25 years, most notably since regulation, & the FSA.   What is your view on the FSA? Regulatlon has - at last - come to Online Gaming, & poker, & it is long overdue, Sites could do pretty much what they wanted previously, as we have seen with the FT & 'Stars malarky in the USA, Lock Poker also, & any number of sites failing to pay players their dues.  We badly needed a regulatory framework, & it will be good for poker in the long term.  Was regulation, broadly, good for your profession, too? I can but imagine the reams of form-filling......
    Posted by Tikay10
    The FSA was abolished following the 'credit crunch' of 2008, finally being closed in 2013. There's now the FCA. My line of work is credit brokering so we're having to become fully FCA approved over the course of the next six months or so. Don't mention form-filling........... there's a lot of work - almost needs a full time employee to look after even for our little company (six people) - but they are very helpful and will work closely with us to ensure everything's right. They're flexing their muscles against some of the more 'iffy' practices though....

• edited October 2014
    The 100 Game Challenge
    Total after 90 DYMs.
    TK 44
    Mac 57

Well, the original challenge was to see who did the best after 100 games, but in the spirit of team Plopper, I'm happy to make it the first who gets to 100 if you want, fair enough?
    I'd rather win or lose by a couple, so 100 wins total, seems a betterer goal!
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You must have seen enormous changes in those 25 years, most notably since regulation, & the FSA.   What is your view on the FSA? Regulatlon has - at last - come to Online Gaming, & poker, & it is long overdue, Sites could do pretty much what they wanted previously, as we have seen with the FT & 'Stars malarky in the USA, Lock Poker also, & any number of sites failing to pay players their dues.  We badly needed a regulatory framework, & it will be good for poker in the long term.  Was regulation, broadly, good for your profession, too? I can but imagine the reams of form-filling......
    Posted by Tikay10
    Now it's the FCA, as the FSA morphed into the FCA and PRA in April 2013. The official answer is that I love the FCA and think they do a tremendous job. The truth of the matter is that, in my opinion, they are awful. I won't go into detail but give you a couple of examples.

Firstly all advisers had to pass much higher level exams by the end of 2012 or else we couldn't advise our clients. The exams were not easy and many advisers couldn't or wouldn't pass them, so we lost about 20% of the advisers, now for those of us left that was a good thing, however my point is that the vast majority of the FCA are not qualified to anything like the same level. When we pointed out that maybe they should be the answer was 'we don't have to be because we don't advise clients', our point was they should be because they regulate those that do. Surely the regulators should be better informed and qualified than those they regulate?  Obviously not.

Secondly it transpired recently that they had overcharged my sector of the industry (small IFAs and Networks) to the tune of £5 million. We asked for a refund. They said no because ' we spend all the money we get in every year, so if we had to refund you we would have to overcharge the rest (large banks and insurance companies)'.  By the way we weren't overcharged due to an 'error' but due to an 'anomaly' - apparently there's a difference! We considered suing the FCA to get our money back but we can't. They have statutory protection so can't be sued. They can in effect charge us whatever they want and we either pay it or go out of business.  

Regulation of the online gaming and poker a good thing? We'll probably, but let's just hope that it doesn't go the way that regulation of my industry has gone in the last 20 years. I often joke that if I to come back in life I would be a regulator.
  • edited October 2014
    If I came back for a second life I'd want to work in a twiglet factory or the deli counter at Tesco.
  • edited October 2014
    The 100 Game Challenge Total after 90 DYMs. TK 44 Mac 57 Well, the original challenge was to see who did the best after 100 games, but in the spirit of team Plopper, I'm happy to make it the first who gets to 100 if you want, fair enough? I'd rather win or lose by a couple, so 100 wins total, seems a betterer goal!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Considering you are almost a "lock" to win Version 1, that's a very generous gesture.

OK, we have a deal, first to win 100 games. You are currently 13 ahead, but I'm hopeful I can reduce that substantially, & the extended challenge will make for extended fun.

• edited October 2014

Yesterday's session, whilst not quite reaching the amazing heights of Friday, was another good one.

I won the first 6 in a row at £5, which really adds up, but then on the 7th game @ £5 I made an unforced error due to a concentration lapse, & so decided to curtsil the session after 20 games , & happily take the £20+ profit.

After starting October (as I ended September) with 3 straight losing sessions, I've now had 8 consecutive winning sessions, & all the KPI's look pretty decent, so I'm pretty pleased with that, although I know that its only because variance is smiling upon me for the moment. She's so fickle, her mood will soon turn.......

There were no games @ £11 last night, at least not whilst I was playing.

We saw some really eccentric play last night, yikes.

Something you'd never see in NLH, but in 20 games last night, I had Aces v Aces THREE times. 

Will be playing tonight, maybe an early start, see you later. Think England are playing @ 5pm, so traffic is likely to be light until that finishes, but we'll see.   
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : The FSA was abolished following the 'credit crunch' of 2008, finally being closed in 2013. There's now the FCA. My line of work is credit brokering so we're having to become fully FCA approved over the course of the next six months or so. Don't mention form-filling........... there's a lot of work - almost needs a full time employee to look after even for our little company (six people) - but they are very helpful and will work closely with us to ensure everything's right. They're flexing their muscles against some of the more 'iffy' practices though....
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Oops, correct, all those initials confuse me.

Just as in poker, it has to be good if they drive out the shady outfits though.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now it's the FCA, as the FSA morphed into the FCA and PRA in April 2013. The official answer is that I love the FCA and think they do a tremendous job. The truth of the matter is that, in my opinion, they are awful. I won't go into detail but give you a couple of examples. Firstly all advisers had to pass much higher level exams by the end of 2012 or else we couldn't advise our clients. The exams were not easy and many advisers couldn't or wouldn't pass them, so we lost about 20% of the advisers, now for those of us left that was a good thing, however my point is that the vast majority of the FCA are not qualified to anything like the same level. When we pointed out that maybe they should be the answer was 'we don't have to be because we don't advise clients', our point was they should be because they regulate those that do. Surely the regulators should be better informed and qualified than those they regulate?  Obviously not. Secondly it transpired recently that they had overcharged my sector of the industry (small IFAs and Networks) to the tune of £5 million. We asked for a refund. They said no because ' we spend all the money we get in every year, so if we had to refund you we would have to overcharge the rest (large banks and insurance companies)'.  By the way we weren't overcharged due to an 'error' but due to an 'anomaly' - apparently there's a difference! We considered suing the FCA to get our money back but we can't. They have statutory protection so can't be sued. They can in effect charge us whatever they want and we either pay it or go out of business.   Regulation of the online gaming and poker a good thing? We'll probably, but let's just hope that it doesn't go the way that regulation of my industry has gone in the last 20 years. I often joke that if I to come back in life I would be a regulator.
    Posted by Enut
    Perhaps not working as it should, but well-conceived, surely?

You seem to serve your Clients well, & have a strong & loyal Client base after working hard to look after them. On balance, it's worked out fine, yes?

All regulators get stick, sometimes deservedly, but it can't be an easy gig. They are like Customer Care staff, no matter what they do, they are going to get flak.  

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Perhaps not working as it should, but well-conceived, surely? You seem to serve your Clients well, & have a strong & loyal Client base after working hard to look after them. On balance, it's worked out fine, yes? All regulators get stick, sometimes deservedly, but it can't be an easy gig. They are like Customer Care staff, no matter what they do, they are going to get flak.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    For the public, the regulator or me, Tikay?

For the public it's tough to say, The general standard of advice is now higher than it's ever been (that's not saying much) but I do know that many clients cannot now afford decent financial advice, which is a real shame and a direct result of the Retail Distribution Review.  

On balance, for me, yes Tikay, but it is getting harder and harder to justify staying in the business because the costs of doing so are getting higher and higher. Many good, honest IFAs have thrown in the towel for that reason. If I did not have a loyalty to my clients I would have left the industry long ago. I think the problems with the banks 'miss-selling' and dodgy deeds of mainly larger companies means the regulator assumes that we all have the very poor standards and ethics. This is simply not true.   

For the regulator? Hell yes, they take no responsibility for anything going wrong, and effectively control their own income by billing the industry what they want. Take my earlier example of them overcharging us, they also pointed out that it was whilst the FSA were in charge and therefore nothing to do with the FCA!

I'm on my soap box again but you did ask, to lighten the mood here's my exit hand from a £11 Omaha DYM that did run last night.... 
  • edited October 2014

Exit hand from the only £11 DYM I played last night.

I went from 'OK, I can treble up here if I play this right' to 'I can at least get 1/2 a 3 way pot' to 'case ace, that's nice, gg ,gl all'

I've put a long post in BBV as this was only one of many in a very short session last night, I must be due some run good soon surely?

Hand History #826497920 (21:34 11/10/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    eddie2 Small blind 15.00 15.00 2075.00
    Dutyfree28 Big blind 30.00 45.00 2065.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • K

elleben2 Fold
    botneck Call 30.00 75.00 2140.00
    Enut Call 30.00 105.00 1735.00
    eon1961 Fold
    eddie2 Raise 135.00 240.00 1940.00
    Dutyfree28 Fold
    botneck Call 120.00 360.00 2020.00
    Enut Call 120.00 480.00 1615.00
    Flop

• K

eddie2 Bet 480.00 960.00 1460.00
    botneck Raise 960.00 1920.00 1060.00
    Enut Call 960.00 2880.00 655.00
    eddie2 Call 480.00 3360.00 980.00
    Turn

eddie2 Check
    botneck All-in 1060.00 4420.00 0.00
    Enut All-in 655.00 5075.00 0.00
    eddie2 All-in 980.00 6055.00 0.00
    botneck Unmatched bet 80.00 5975.00 80.00
    eddie2 Show
    • J
    • A
    • A
    • A
    botneck Show
    Enut Show
    • K
    • K
    River

• A

eddie2 Win high Full House, Aces and 2s 2987.50 2987.50
    botneck Win low 7-low 2987.50
  • edited October 2014

The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) Challenge
    Total after 99 DYMs.
    TK 51
    Mac 60

Check out TK! He's on a march!

Quite obviously, l=lose, w=win.

Game 91 tk  l  me l
    Game 92 tk  w  me w
    Game 93 tk  w  me l
    Game 94 tk  w  me l
    Game 95 tk  w  me l
    Game 96 tk  w  me w
    Game 97 tk  w  me l
    Game 98 tk  w  me l
    Game 99 tk  l  me w

• edited October 2014
    Exit hand from the only £11 DYM I played last night. I went from 'OK, I can treble up here if I play this right' to 'I can at least get 1/2 a 3 way pot' to 'case ace, that's nice, gg ,gl all' I've put a long post in BBV as this was only one of many in a very short session last night, I must be due some run good soon surely?
    Posted by Enut
    Ok so it's a bad beat story from flop onwards...

However I am not sure you should have seen a flop with that hand.

Not much going for it to be limping in the early stages of a DYM encouraging a multi-way pot and even less reasons to be caling a preflop raise.

No A, very weak low and only 1 flush option and no real str8 options. There are not many flops you are going to like - very lucky to hit a K+low pair. How many other flops are you going to like and stay in the pot with? Multi-way as a limp-caller you will be lucky to have a flop you can realistically bluff at.

• edited October 2014
    The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) Challenge Total after 99 DYMs. TK 51 Mac 60 Check out TK! He's on a march! Quite obviously, l=lose, w=win. Game 91 tk  l  me l Game 92 tk  w  me w Game 93 tk  w  me l Game 94 tk  w  me l Game 95 tk  w  me l Game 96 tk  w  me w Game 97 tk  w  me l Game 98 tk  w  me l Game 99 tk  l  me w
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    ;)

It was just one of those nights for me, I played 12 @ £3.30 & won 10 of them, so I was rather hoping I'd make a little ground on you.

At one time the gap was, I think, over 20, so I'm quite pleased to get it down to single figures.

Just need to sustain the momentum now.......

• edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : For the public, the regulator or me, Tikay? For the public it's tough to say, The general standard of advice is now higher than it's ever been (that's not saying much) but I do know that many clients cannot now afford decent financial advice, which is a real shame and a direct result of the Retail Distribution Review.   On balance, for me, yes Tikay, but it is getting harder and harder to justify staying in the business because the costs of doing so are getting higher and higher. Many good, honest IFAs have thrown in the towel for that reason. If I did not have a loyalty to my clients I would have left the industry long ago. I think the problems with the banks 'miss-selling' and dodgy deeds of mainly larger companies means the regulator assumes that we all have the very poor standards and ethics. This is simply not true.    For the regulator? Hell yes, they take no responsibility for anything going wrong, and effectively control their own income by billing the industry what they want. Take my earlier example of them overcharging us, they also pointed out that it was whilst the FSA were in charge and therefore nothing to do with the FCA! I'm on my soap box again but you did ask, to lighten the mood here's my exit hand from a £11 Omaha DYM that did run last night.... 
    Posted by Enut
    Well, ideally, I'd like to think for both you, & the public. I agree, though, that these things do not always pan out the way we would wish.
  • edited October 2014
    Exit hand from the only £11 DYM I played last night. I went from 'OK, I can treble up here if I play this right' to 'I can at least get 1/2 a 3 way pot' to 'case ace, that's nice, gg ,gl all' I've put a long post in BBV as this was only one of many in a very short session last night, I must be due some run good soon surely? Hand History #826497920 (21:34 11/10/2014) Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance eddie2 Small blind 15.00 15.00 2075.00 Dutyfree28 Big blind 30.00 45.00 2065.00   Your hole cards 8 K 5 K       elleben2 Fold botneck Call 30.00 75.00 2140.00 Enut Call 30.00 105.00 1735.00 eon1961 Fold eddie2 Raise 135.00 240.00 1940.00 Dutyfree28 Fold botneck Call 120.00 360.00 2020.00 Enut Call 120.00 480.00 1615.00 Flop     K 2 2       eddie2 Bet 480.00 960.00 1460.00 botneck Raise 960.00 1920.00 1060.00 Enut Call 960.00 2880.00 655.00 eddie2 Call 480.00 3360.00 980.00 Turn     3       eddie2 Check botneck All-in 1060.00 4420.00 0.00 Enut All-in 655.00 5075.00 0.00 eddie2 All-in 980.00 6055.00 0.00 botneck Unmatched bet 80.00 5975.00 80.00 eddie2 Show J A A A botneck Show 5 2 7 3 Enut Show 8 K 5 K River     A       eddie2 Win high Full House, Aces and 2s 2987.50 2987.50 botneck Win low 7-low 2987.50
    Posted by Enut
    Ha!

Wowzer, God bless Eddie, who got involved with no less than THREE Aces in his hand, (& not even a suit to draw to) & managed to find the case ace. Awesome optimism, that.  

Glad to see you won an £11er last night, hopefully you are now running into a bit of form.
  • edited October 2014

12th October.

Played 19

£3 P12, W10 L2

£5.50 P5 W4, L1

£11 P2 W0 L2

Won/Lost £10.90

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.57

October, % of Games Won

£3.30, 70 from 113 = 62%

£5.50, 35 from 55 = 64%

£11, 12 from 16 - 75%

Played 184, W117 L67 (64%)

October Overall PROFIT/LOSS £169.30

PROFIT/LOSS per game = £0.92

Account Balance £1,420.00
  • edited October 2014

Well the bad news first - played 2 @ £11 & lost them both, boo! Both were comedy outdraws, so I suppose I paid off a bit of my run-good overdraft.

The rest of the evening was just one of those where I found it hard to lose. Won 10 of 12 @ £3.30, & 4 of 5 @ £5.50. Good numbers, them.

All three levels (£3.30, £5.50 & £11) now have game count %'s in excess of 60%, first time I've ever been able to say that, & 64% overall for October is beyond my realistic goal. It was my 9th straight winning session, too.

"Heaters" are awesome, we have downswings (as I did last month) & they pinch a bit, but the other side of the variance coin is wonderful, & I can't wait to start each new session.

It will even itself out soon enough, you can be sure of that, but I'm £169 ahead after 12 sessions, so I have a bit of wool on my back.

Back again tonight, attempting to make it 10 straight winning sessions. If that's not tempting fate, I don't know what is. 

• edited October 2014
    Glad to see you are back in BLUE

I find dyms can be very frustrating when trying to turn around a bad run as it takes so long to overcome a bad run e.g. get 5 games behind you need to win 7 to get back ahead.

Although it does help when on a good run you can take a couple of hits on the chin knowing overall you are banking a positive run.

Given that you are consistently (all bar one month) in the BLUE - I am sure the positive feeling of winning carries you through most of the time.

I always try and have the mentality that I will try and win 2 out of the next 3 dyms. Long term that is obviously a nice % to have - plus it helps me focus on the upcoming games and not dwell on overall %'s and past win/losses whether running well or badly.
  • edited October 2014
     It will even itself out soon enough, you can be sure of that, but I'm £169 ahead after 12 sessions, so I have a bit of wool on my back. Back again tonight, attempting to make it 10 straight winning sessions. If that's not tempting fate, I don't know what is.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not heard this phrase before.  Is it a local saying?   Oh and #runbetter.  ;-)
  • edited October 2014
    careful,

"a bit of wool on your back"

in wales expect the men in wellies to arrive.
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ok so it's a bad beat story from flop onwards... However I am not sure you should have seen a flop with that hand. Not much going for it to be limping in the early stages of a DYM encouraging a multi-way pot and even less reasons to be caling a preflop raise. No A, very weak low and only 1 flush option and no real str8 options. There are not many flops you are going to like - very lucky to hit a K+low pair. How many other flops are you going to like and stay in the pot with? Multi-way as a limp-caller you will be lucky to have a flop you can realistically bluff at.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Yup you're perfectly right not an ideal starting hand. In my defence I do try and vary my play as it makes things more interesting and hopefully makes me more difficult to read. The call of the pre flop reraise was certainly suspect and I think I was tilting a little (see post in BBV for reasons why!)

Next time with a KKxx starting hand if I see a flop I shall be folding anything less than a KKx flop and even then if the Ace flops I shall consider folding - too much chance of being outdrawn by the case A with my opponent holding AAxx!
  • edited October 2014

TK 58
    Mac 68

• edited October 2014
    The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) Challenge TK 58 Mac 68
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    This is looking like Crisp and Red Rum in the 73 national,watch your back maca:) don't do a Richard Pittman and whip too much over the last fence :) 
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : This is looking like Crisp and Red Rum in the 73 national,watch your back maca:) don't do a Richard Pittman and whip too much over the last fence :) 
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Tom!

Was great to see you join us for some Plopper fun last night.

Hope you enjoyed it.

• edited October 2014
    The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) Challenge TK 58 Mac 68
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    So I lost a bit of ground last night, 1 game, I think?

All things considered, happy with that. Had a bit of a mare, to put it mildly.

Full numbers tomorrow, bit busy today. The winning run ended, suffice to say.......

In brief......

£3.30 - P15, W10, L5. 

Perfectly acceptable. LIKE. 

£11 - P 1, W1, L0

Small sample, but that'll do just fine. BOOMIO.

£5.50 - P11 W2 L9. (PLAYED ELEVEN, WON 2, LOST NINE)

What? Are you having a laugh? 
  • edited October 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not heard this phrase before.  Is it a local saying?   Oh and #runbetter.  ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    Great question.

Reply tomorrow. Brace yourself, it'll be a bit boring.
  • edited October 2014

TK 64
    Mac 77

• edited October 2014
    The (Race To) 100 Game (Wins) Challenge TK 64 Mac 77
    Posted by Macacgirl1

I demand a recount.

This is ridic.
  • edited October 2014
    It's not over until it's over!

It's not as though it really matters who wins though.  If I win, I wouldn't think of reminding you in the chat-box of the result. Almost hourly. Never tiring of it. Banging on and on and on about the final score. Nope. That just wouldn't happen. Telling you what I am having/had for dinner and reminding you (again, repeatedly) of the final score. No, not all. At all. Never. Just wouldn't happen.

Much.

PS. Just a reminder, below is what up to stake for the challenge!

As a forfeit, if Mr. K wins after 100 games, I promise wholeheartedly to never mention food or twiglets ever again in the chat-box.
    Mr. K has said (in front of witnesses I hasten to add) he will wear a tee shirt on TV, with the logo "I Love Macacgirl" whilst eating a packet of twiglets.