You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    Caption comp:-

New Grinders Headset designed to ensure no slumping over the computer during 24 hour poker sessions.

or

Haha, with this and dark glasses on they'll get no read off me as I can't move a muscle.

ps Hope the recovery is going well.
  • edited September 2014
    WOW Mick!  Hope ya get better soon!

Caption.....Well I just couldn't resist !

Mick is looking in a mirror and thinking ....Jeez, you'd have thought they would have sorted my nose when I was under!   ;-))))

Pad

P.S. look on bright side... you'll always get a seat on bus/train/tube!
  • edited September 2014
    Breaking news......live from the Mirage Hotel Las Vegas

An unknown female entered the 11.00 am $60 tournament with 29 runners with 4 getting paid, she hung on til the final table of 10 where she proceeded to knck out several players with three left she is chip leader. On the button she raises with AK dd gets re raised by the sb who is 2nd chip leader shortie folds, the unknown female from Rochdale (or is it Bury?) tanks not knowing whether to call raise or fold, she flat calls, flop comes k high sb shoves and the female calls he shows A Q, she wins a humongous pot and is now heads up with the shortie, meanwhile the father is texting the daughter saying mother is hu. The shortie cheekily asks for a chop, the female gives a little chuckle and he says 'thought not' he then says all in the female looks at her cards sees 44 and calls he turns over AQ he hits nothing on flop turn or river, before the father can finish his text the mother has won $600 in her first poker game in Las Vegas!!!

sorry to hijack your thread Mr K but can't stop smiling

Mother
    Xxx
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Breaking news......live from the Mirage Hotel Las Vegas An unknown female entered the 11.00 am $60 tournament with 29 runners with 4 getting paid, she hung on til the final table of 10 where she proceeded to knck out several players with three left she is chip leader. On the button she raises with AK dd gets re raised by the sb who is 2nd chip leader shortie folds, the unknown female from Rochdale (or is it Bury?) tanks not knowing whether to call raise or fold, she flat calls, flop comes k high sb shoves and the female calls he shows A Q, she wins a humongous pot and is now heads up with the shortie, meanwhile the father is texting the daughter saying mother is hu. The shortie cheekily asks for a chop, the female gives a little chuckle and he says 'thought not' he then says all in the female looks at her cards sees 44 and calls he turns over AQ he hits nothing on flop turn or river, before the father can finish his text the mother has won $600 in her first poker game in Las Vegas!!! sorry to hijack your thread Mr K but can't stop smiling Mother Xxx
    Posted by Amarie

Nice one x
  • edited September 2014
    Breaking news......live from the Mirage Hotel Las Vegas An unknown female entered the 11.00 am $60 tournament with 29 runners with 4 getting paid, she hung on til the final table of 10 where she proceeded to knck out several players with three left she is chip leader. On the button she raises with AK dd gets re raised by the sb who is 2nd chip leader shortie folds, the unknown female from Rochdale (or is it Bury?) tanks not knowing whether to call raise or fold, she flat calls, flop comes k high sb shoves and the female calls he shows A Q, she wins a humongous pot and is now heads up with the shortie, meanwhile the father is texting the daughter saying mother is hu. The shortie cheekily asks for a chop, the female gives a little chuckle and he says 'thought not' he then says all in the female looks at her cards sees 44 and calls he turns over AQ he hits nothing on flop turn or river, before the father can finish his text the mother has won $600 in her first poker game in Las Vegas!!! sorry to hijack your thread Mr K but can't stop smiling Mother Xxx
    Posted by Amarie
    Now that's a result. Well played.
  • edited September 2014
    Well played Mother.
    Hope you enjoy your holiday and maybe take a few more tournies down
    Nick
  • edited September 2014
    Mother!!!! Well done !! Your crushing on Sky and now crushing in Vegas! 

Go Mammy! Dont forget us when your famous ok?

Ger
  • edited September 2014
    Posted by Amarie
    Wonderful news, well done Mother!

You must be a better player than The Daughter, imo.

For those not familiar with Vegas, note the time that Tourney started - 11am!

In Vegas, MTT's start every hour of the day, all 24, you can ALWAYS find a game starting somewhere, even at 2am or 3am. It's like Online poker live.

Very well done Mother, & if you get chance, please keep us updated with further stories from Vegas - you have a lot of friends here.

• edited September 2014

This is the Mirage Hotel, where Mother is currently staying.

In the foreground, that is part of the Venetian Gondola Canal, with the replica "St Marks Campanile" (the big sticky up tower), on the left, & The Mirage is the other side of the famous Strip.

• edited September 2014

...and the Mirage card room.

• edited September 2014

Meanwhile, back at the PLO8 tables........

• edited September 2014

26th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 45

Won 23

Lost 22

£3.30, P 24, W 13, L 11

£5.50, P 18, W 10 L 8

£11, P 3, W 0, L 3

Opening Balance - £1,337.55

Closing Balance = £1,298.85

Profit/Loss on Night - £38.70

Profit/Loss on Month = £60.30

REWARD POINTS on night = 192

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 3,059 (= £45.89)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 658

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 364

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 55.3%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.09
  • edited September 2014
    ul Teeks
    meanwhile I've updated the sng theory thread for hilo with some alternative theory!
  • edited September 2014

It's always painful to do the Report after a night like that, I'll spare you the woe is me stuff, who wants to read that sort of poo? So just some bullet points.

2 days ago I was chirping that I'd won 8 from 10 @ £11. Now I've lost 9 of the last 11.

I've been trying to break clear of the £1,400 bankroll level all month. In 2 days I've done £100, & now I'm fighting to regain the £1,300 level.

With 4 days left in the month, the threat of my first losing month looms very real.

Managed to get above 3,000 Reward Points in the month, BOOM, so that will come in handy for the month end reconciliation.

£100 in 2 nights sounds awful. Well it IS awful, lol. But I THINK it is mostly just variance.

...but I do think it is mostly variance. 

I lost 5 of the first 6 last night without, I thought, doing much wrong. Then I sort of grafted away & eventually won the game count - just - 23-22. I won- again narrowly - at £3 & £5 too. 

The big prob was the £11ers. Only 3 ran last night, & I contrived to lose all three. That's a £60 swing right there.

The first two were just perfect coolers. No complaints, they go both ways, but I went in miles ahead in both. In one, my good aces ran into the one-sided K-K-9-9 which setted up. Played itself, can't complain about those, we give 'em, we get 'em.

The third one was a bad mistake by me, where I got it in bad & came out bad. I had an awkward sized stack, too big to raise, as I did not want 3 callers, but big enough to re-raise, so that was the plan.

Hotty opened - he opens a lot, & presumably, occasionally, quite wide. He can find the fold, too. So I went for it with A-J-4-5, & he called with A-Q-4-5, near identical but one crucial pip better. We both blanked everything, so that pip was enough to bust me. Was quite cross with myself over that one, it was the wrong time & place, though he does not HAVE to be ahead, even so, a daft gamble which backfired.

Interesting to see how most of us go up & down, whilst Hotty just makes a bit almost every day. Class will out, cream rises to the top & all that.

Back on the bike tonight, trying to get those wheels back on.

Have a great Saturday, see you guys later.   

• edited September 2014
    ul Teeks meanwhile I've updated the sng theory thread for hilo with some alternative theory!
    Posted by GELDY
    Excellent, I'll go look in a bit.
  • edited September 2014
    The wheels coming off and the head in the sand pics gave me a right chuckle.  
    Isn't it always the way that when playing various buy in levels the bad run always hits at the higher level?!!
    I think it is a good idea after a downward blip, to adjust buy in ratios towards the lower end (regardless of bankroll status)..e.g was playing 80% @ £5 LEVEL 20% @ £10...after blip change to 90/10.. until back to even keel and positive mindset.. 

Says me, the man who played under the influence last night and blew a chance to take a tournament down. 
  • edited September 2014
    The wheels coming off and the head in the sand pics gave me a right chuckle.   Isn't it always the way that when playing various buy in levels the bad run always hits at the higher level?!! I think it is a good idea after a downward blip, to adjust buy in ratios towards the lower end (regardless of bankroll status)..e.g was playing 80% @ £5 LEVEL 20% @ £10...after blip change to 90/10.. until back to even keel and positive mindset..  Says me, the man who played under the influence last night and blew a chance to take a tournament down. 
    Posted by The_Hux
    It FEELS like we run bad in the biggies when we are running sub par, but it is probably all in the mind.

You must have seen all those bizarre "the big stack always win" posts, our perceptions are warped by how we are doing génerally.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi tikay just wondering your views on this hand? 

You had got yourself short and shoved on my big blind.

From the little I have played with you and from the lot I have read of you on PL08 I knew I was in terrible shape - just felt that as you are never too far behind in PLO8 and given you being short cant afford to wait for premium hands I had to call. I figured you would definitely have an ace and either some good high hand combos or some scoop draws so in the end I was lucky to hit a low and split the pot.

I guess its not an untypical situation in PLO8 dyms - I definetely didnt want to call with that but was it "correct"?

Hand History #821233988 (20:34 26/09/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    muzz13 Small blind   200.00 200.00 2881.25
    Phantom66 Big blind   400.00 600.00 2120.00
      Your hole cards
    • Q

tillpoll Fold        
    tikay1 All-in   830.00 1430.00 0.00
    NE47 Fold        
    muzz13 Fold        
    Phantom66 Call   430.00 1860.00 1690.00
    Phantom66 Show
    • Q

tikay1 Show
    • A

Flop

• A

Turn

River

tikay1 Win high Three 9s 930.00   930.00
    Phantom66 Win low 7-low 930.00   2620.00
  • edited September 2014

Hi Phantom,

Your call was correct, imo, you HAD to call. It's never easy to call with the likes of Q-10-7-3, but it is not a disaster, as it is a combo-hand, containing both high & low cards.

I had 2 Bigs. You had 5 bigs with one big already invested, so 1 Big to call. I think you have to call there with almost any hand.

In pre-flop equity my hand is a little bit better, but its not ideal & is not a balanced hand, but at least, crucially, it contained an ace, which is very very important imo.

I think both hands play themselves, & I'd sigh-call with your hand if the positions were reversed.

Hope you are enjoying the PLO8 stuff. An amazing amount of traffic there now.   

• edited September 2014

Winshoes - got your PM, & have replied.

Good luck tonight!

winshoes, who plays some of the PLO8 DYM's with us, & evidently reads this Diary, has freerolled into tonight's £30,000 Guaranteed Super Roller, biggest tourney he has ever played.

• edited September 2014

27th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 35

Won 23

Lost 12

£3.30, P 20, W 15, L 5

£5.50, P 11, W 5 L 6

£11, P 4, W 3, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,298.85

Closing Balance = £1,324.15

Profit/Loss on Night - £25.30

Profit/Loss on Month = £35.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 155

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 3,221 (= £48.31)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 693

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 387

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 55.8%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.05
  • edited September 2014

Well that was a bit better, won 75% @ both £3 & £11, the night only marred by losing the £5 jobbies 6-5.

So a £25 hole knocked in the £100 loss from the two previous days, but only 3 days left before the month end.

Could be a close run thing.....

• edited September 2014

Very enjoyable evening, though the traffic went very light mid-session. Decided to quit early, as I was a little tired.

Saw a really nasty slowroll, msade worse by the fact that the guy on the wrong end of it was brand new to PLO8 DYM's, so, as per usual, most of us had welcomed him in the chat box, & made him feel comfortable. Then, on his exit, when the villain had flopped the abso world, came what appeared to be the slowroll of all time. Mr Villain has history of this, repeatedly. You do wonder what sort of person thinks that's clever. Actually, you don't wonder, you know.

I inadvertently upset a newish regular, too. I seem to run particularly good against this lad, who is a good, winning, regular. I've outdrawn him a few times this week, & he gives me a bit of chatbox grief aftewards, every time, & it's getting quite heavy now. I never reply, there's no point having a barney, & I don't play poker to have petty arguments over a £3 DYM. Nobody, NOBODY, sets out to deliberately get lucky, it just happens, we can't control it.

Over the long-term he'll get it all back. 

Always strikes me as very odd when people complain that other players get lucky sometimes. We all do. 

That apart, great atmo last night, as per usual.

See you later, & remember, if I pot it, I got it.*

T & C's apply.      

• edited September 2014
    First time in the roller for a year. Got in through a freeroll sat. I really love this tournie so I will not be around to play with my fellow ploppers tonight........ as long as I do not bust early.
    Wish me luck
    Nick
  • edited September 2014

Good luck Nick, he of the Pompey.
  • edited September 2014
    First time in the roller for a year. Got in through a freeroll sat. I really love this tournie so I will not be around to play with my fellow ploppers tonight........ as long as I do not bust early. Wish me luck Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    glgl
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Phantom, Your call was correct, imo, you HAD to call. It's never easy to call with the likes of Q-10-7-3, but it is not a disaster, as it is a combo-hand, containing both high & low cards. I had 2 Bigs. You had 5 bigs with one big already invested, so 1 Big to call. I think you have to call there with almost any hand.   In pre-flop equity my hand is a little bit better, but its not ideal & is not a balanced hand, but at least, crucially, it contained an ace, which is very very important imo.   I think both hands play themselves, & I'd sigh-call with your hand if the positions were reversed.   Hope you are enjoying the PLO8 stuff. An amazing amount of traffic there now.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for the feedback. Definitely a sigh call - think that's the worst I have had to call with in those sort of situations - I was just relieved to see you had a hi only hand.

Overall I think the standard is pretty solid on these thanks to the interest you have generated. It seems Geldy is stirring things up for the regs. Being the only LAG on a tight table can obviously be a good thing. 

Definitely enjoying the PL08 - sticking to the £3s - actually on a bit of mini-streak at the moment but way too low a volume to draw any conclusions.

• edited September 2014
    First time in the roller for a year. Got in through a freeroll sat. I really love this tournie so I will not be around to play with my fellow ploppers tonight........ as long as I do not bust early. Wish me luck Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Ooh, 55th, you could almost smell the money, 55th of 323, very creditable effort Nick.

Did you enjoy it?

Close but no......

• edited September 2014
    Winshoes - got your PM, & have replied. Good luck tonight! winshoes, who plays some of the PLO8 DYM's with us, & evidently reads this Diary, has freerolled into tonight's £30,000 Guaranteed Super Roller, biggest tourney he has ever played.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    From GaryQQQ's results thread......

winshoes020£277.78
    BOOMIO!

Delighted for you Andrew, very welll done. £278 from a Freeroll? Not so bad.

Want to give us a brief Tourney Report?

What a buzz that must have been, very well played.