You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    First day back at work after nine weeks off ........... URGH The only thought getting me through the day is that when I get home I can enjoy some poker............... Get back to play five @£5.50........ Lose four.........URGH I just cannot wait to get back to work............URGH
    Posted by pompeynic
    Oops!

It always seems to happen when we most want to play, too.

You'll be fine Nick, your game is too solid for you to lose over the long term, but we all have bad nights.

Glad you are back at work though, must be a relief?

• edited September 2014

22nd SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 35

Won 22

Lost 13

£3.30, P 9, W 6, L 3

£5.50, P 18, W 14 L 4

£11, P 8, W 2, L 6

Opening Balance - £1,411.75

Closing Balance = £1,411.05

Profit/Loss on Night - £0.70

Profit/Loss on Month = £51.90

REWARD POINTS on night = 197

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,382 (= £23.82)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 521

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 299

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 57.39%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.10
  • edited September 2014

Wow, what a night.

Back from a 4 day break, gagging to play, but my first priority was not to drop back beneath £1,400.

Despite winning a good % of games, I kept losing the £11ers - lost SIX won two (!), & I was soon in a mighty big hole, some £70 down, ugh.

But I was playing really well, or as well as I can, & never tilted or got in a flap, just kept playing my game, & ended up winning 9 of the last 11, though the two losses were, groan, both £11ers.

When I came to check my balance at end of play, was pretty sure I'd lost £30 or £40, so it was such a lovely surprise to see I'd lost......£0.70! Happy with that, all things considered.

And 26 games @ £5 & £11 on a Monday night? Never been known, bodes well for the winter, these games will be fantastic in a month or so's time.

197 Reward points, too, BOOM.

Won 63% of my games last night, & my overall rate for September is now 57.4%, which is quite acceptable.

Loads of new players last night, too.

Was pleased to see JACEON back amongst us, & I think he had a good night.

The revelation was Gelders, wow at how he has changed his game.

Lovely night, one of the most enjoyable I can recall.

Will be trying again tonight. See you later.
  • edited September 2014

Two interesting spots came up in the £11ers last night.

In the first, I had doubled up early - too early really, so with low blinds, a long wait followed.

Every now & then I'd find a hand, potted it, everyone dutifully folded, & I'd maintain my healthy stack. Unusually, & with good reason, I "showed" my hand every time so they knew I was only playing premium hands.

Then I found A-K-9-2 DS, so potted it, & got re-raised. We can never be in terrible shape here, but did I need to risk it? I can fold & still be chip leader, & to make it more awkward, the raiser - Gelders - was 2nd in chips. Pre-flop I'm pretty sure I probably have the better hand.

Bit of an awkward spot, but I could not find the fold, & was never peeling, so in they went, & I got turned over.

It was quite a spectacular bad beat, (or so I thought at the time) but it never bothered me a jot, & I never complained, just typed "N1 Gelders". A geezer not in the pot then pipes up "you should have folded pre, for ICM reasons". He may have been right, in truth, though the timing of his comment was a tad off I thought. Several people typed "WHO should have folded?", lol, as the two hands were very different.  

Anyway, maybe I should hsave found the fold? Dunno, my hand was really strong.

I looked it up later on an odds calculator, as I was intrigued.

I was 54% - 46% fave pre-flop in equity terms.

I scoop 35% of the time, v 29% the "villain" scoops.

So, remarkably, I'm not THAT far ahead pre-flop, though I'd love to take that match up 10,000 times. Perhaps a bad play in a DYM, & a great play in a Cash game?

On balance, & with hindsight, think I should have folded pre.

Goodbye £11.....
  • edited September 2014
    Just a quick observation tikay but I notice you are not in the premiership promo,
    Any reason for this? Or do you always choose  not to partake in the promos.
    It's just if I read you well and it's because you work for sky and all that, you pay the rake like everyone else,
    Just seems that it could help with your challenge.all bases covered and all that
    Also nice diary one of the first I look for in the morning (sad life I know )
    Run well
    Iah

• edited September 2014

The other interesting (?...) spot was versus Hotwheals.

We both had full stacks, I had good Aces, A-A-2-x, can't recall exactly.

We both know & understand each others ranges. He knows I am strong here. As he had opened, I re-potted, & he flatted, I'm pretty sure he had a combo hand, some combo of A-K-Q-2 or A-K-Q-3. I can, pretty closely, assign a range to him here. He's never going to show up with a weirdo holding.

The flop raised a red flag immediately - paired Kings, K-K-x.

I insta thought "does he have the King?"

The King forms a sizeable part of his range in this very specific spot, so yes, he can have it. But if I check, or show weakness, even without the King, he can steal it off me.

I dithered momentarily, & decided to press on, even though he re-potted me. He does not HAVE to have the King. 

But he did. ;)

Think his hand was the very respectable A-K-3-2 or somesuch.

Think I should have folded when he took off on that flop, but that's easy to say with hindsight. He is huge fun to play, & a real test. I generally keep out of his way, but if I have a hand, we'll go to war.     

• edited September 2014
    Just a quick observation tikay but I notice you are not in the premiership promo, Any reason for this? Or do you always choose  not to partake in the promos. It's just if I read you well and it's because you work for sky and all that, you pay the rake like everyone else, Just seems that it could help with your challenge.all bases covered and all that Also nice diary one of the first I look for in the morning (sad life I know ) Run well Iah
    Posted by iatehorse
    Thank you!

Always good to know that people read this, I do try to make it interesting. I'm not one for flop stories (except this morning, lol) or "woe is me" stuff, & I just love playing the game, & hope the enthusiasm rubs off on others.

The Sky Poker Premiership? Incidentally, I've never known a Promo which is so overwhelmingly popular, I've hardly ever seen a bad word about it, everyone seems to love it, even the serial Moaning Minnies seem to have been quiet.  

You are partly right I suppose. I do get a lot of "you work for Sky" digs, but anyone with an iota of common sense knows that makes no sense. I played for 4 hours last night & lost 70p, so the "advantage" does not seem to be much.....

There is a sidestory though.

As you know, when we play poker, we are NOT playing against the "house", we are playing against other players. The Site just collects the Reg Fee or rake, drip drip drip, thats where the income arises. 

But when we bet, we are playing against the house. (Ditto Sky Vegas). 

Now, I'm part of a sort of "Betting Club" elsewhere, & we bet a goodly amount. We've had 4,000 bets over 3 years, average bet size £30, & we make an average ROI over the 3 years of around 3.5%. (Every bet, every penny, validated & "proofed" on a Spreadsheet). But I've never once placed a bet with Sky Bet, as it just feels wrong somehow. In fact, I am running out of Online Bookies who will accept a bet from me, I've been barred by 4 different Sites & am Restricted at 6 others.   

I suppose I should or could have entered it, but the idea of placinhg a bet with Sky Bet just does not quite feel right.

Great question actually, now I sort of wish I had entered!

Thanks.
  • edited September 2014

As there was brief mention of betting, a quick sidetrack/mini-chirp.

Of all those bets I place, NONE of them are selected by me. People make suggestions, &, in theory, a team of experts, Pro Bettors & "Elders" decide if the bet is value or not. If it is value, either Tighty or me (mostly him these days) place the bet, & the regular followers all get on, too.  

The key to successful betting is not, as many seem to think, picking winners. That's easy. The key is finding VALUE. We might well think that, say, Chelsea will beat Swansea, but if we can get the right value price on Swansea, we should bet them, not Chelsea, even if we think Chelsea will win. VALUE. We might then change our mind if the Chelsea price gets longer, now we think THEY are the value. So we are not interested in finding winners per se, we are interested in finding VALUE.

Anyway, poker players may have heard of a chap named Dave Shallow, who won a WPT, & also holds the distinction of being the British player to have had the biggest MTT Online win ever, think it was in a WCOOP, $700,000 or so.

Anyway, he is a fearless but incredibly shrewd bettor, mainly greyhounds, but everything really. He really "gets" value, & understands betting mechanics.  

So, 2 weeks ago, looking ahead, he identified Leicester v Man U as a good "value spot".

Not content with suggesting the Outright (Leicester to win) he proposed FOUR bets. 

Leicester to win.

Leicester DNB

Leicester with a 1 goal start. 

Leicester OR the Draw. 

So we were exposed every which way......

I watched the Singapore F1 GP, & flicked across to Leicester v Man U. Within 20 minutes (?), Man U were 2-0 up & coasting, so I went for my afternoon nap, as I was doing the Show that night. Not too bothered, but at 0-2, we'd obviously done our conkers. 

Woke up with 10 minutes remaining, & Leicester were 4-3 ahead, happy days!

scoopio
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thank you! Always good to know that people read this, I do try to make it interesting. I'm not one for flop stories (except this morning, lol) or "woe is me" stuff, & I just love playing the game, & hope the enthusiasm rubs off on others.   The Sky Poker Premiership? Incidentally, I've never known a Promo which is so overwhelmingly popular, I've hardly ever seen a bad word about it, everyone seems to love it, even the serial Moaning Minnies seem to have been quiet.   You are partly right I suppose. I do get a lot of "you work for Sky" digs, but anyone with an iota of common sense knows that makes no sense. I played for 4 hours last night & lost 70p, so the "advantage" does not seem to be much..... There is a sidestory though.   As you know, when we play poker, we are NOT playing against the "house", we are playing against other players. The Site just collects the Reg Fee or rake, drip drip drip, thats where the income arises.  But when we bet, we are playing against the house. (Ditto Sky Vegas).  Now, I'm part of a sort of "Betting Club" elsewhere, & we bet a goodly amount. We've had 4,000 bets over 3 years, average bet size £30, & we make an average ROI over the 3 years of around 3.5%. (Every bet, every penny, validated & "proofed" on a Spreadsheet). But I've never once placed a bet with Sky Bet, as it just feels wrong somehow. In fact, I am running out of Online Bookies who will accept a bet from me, I've been barred by 4 different Sites & am Restricted at 6 others.    I suppose I should or could have entered it, but the idea of placinhg a bet with Sky Bet just does not quite feel right. Great question actually, now I sort of wish I had entered! Thanks.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Rubbish Promo !
    None of my teams have come anywhere near the top 5 and doesn't look like this week is going to be any different.

Only kidding- good promo if you get lucky!
  • edited September 2014
    It was quite a spectacular bad beat, (or so I thought at the time) but it never bothered me a jot, & I never complained, just typed "N1 Gelders". A geezer not in the pot then pipes up " you should have folded pre, for ICM reasons ". He may have been right, in truth, though the timing of his comment was a tad off I thought. Several people typed "WHO should have folded?", lol, as the two hands were very different.   Anyway, maybe I should hsave found the fold? Dunno, my hand was really strong. I looked it up later on an odds calculator, as I was intrigued. I was 54% - 46% fave pre-flop in equity terms.   I scoop 35% of the time, v 29% the "villain" scoops.   So, remarkably, I'm not THAT far ahead pre-flop, though I'd love to take that match up 10,000 times. Perhaps a bad play in a DYM, & a great play in a Cash game? On balance, & with hindsight, think I should have folded pre. Goodbye £11.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks for your kind words Teeks. as for that hand iirc i potted it and you then came over the top. so you also put me in a tough ICM spot. however i decided that i wouldn't let you exploit my wider opening range without the occasional fight back just to keep you honest. also, without knowing the odds i did reckon my cards would be live as high cards with A2 were right in your repotting range, so i felt the odds weren't too bad. my turn to get lucky.

and just to confirm that Teeks is an absolute gent. even though at the time he may have felt he'd just been done over by a bag of spanners he was very gracious in the chat box.
  • edited September 2014
    "& decrease the £3ers" I have just registered for and playing my very last £3 game! I ain't good enough to play them, I'm lost with them post flop like I am with the two pound games. £5 only from now on.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    this thread is so full of gems. i noticed last night that my raises were getting less respect in the £3.30s, so after 0/2 and given your comments on here i decided to give up on them and play more £11s instead, where i managed a better 5/8.
  • edited September 2014

Leicester DNB

^^ what does that mean please?

oh....and orford plays that premiership promotion BTW. He hasnt won anything, ofc.

Amazed you dont actually use Sky Bet TBH. You promote their services when you do them special betting shows so why not?
  • edited September 2014
    'It was quite a spectacular bad beat, (or so I thought at the time) but it never bothered me a jot, & I never complained, just typed "N1 Gelders". A geezer not in the pot then pipes up "you should have folded pre, for ICM reasons". He may have been right, in truth, though the timing of his comment was a tad off I thought. Several people typed "WHO should have folded?", lol, as the two hands were very different. '

I'm sure i'll regret replying, as someone usually replies and an argument ensues but here goes.
    yeah hands up TK, sorry if you thought my comment was off. Geldy was right, he max opened and you re-potted. IMO you should fold because 1) they always call, 2) at best its 60:40, more likely 55:45, 3) you had 3600 chips, 4) the sum of all ROI is -10% for the rake, so if you always take flips, you reduce your edge and maybe can never win in the long run.

anyhow, I enjoy your thread and playing with you so long may it continue. laterz
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : thanks for your kind words Teeks. as for that hand iirc i potted it and you then came over the top. so you also put me in a tough ICM spot. however i decided that i wouldn't let you exploit my wider opening range without the occasional fight back just to keep you honest. also, without knowing the odds i did reckon my cards would be live as high cards with A2 were right in your repotting range, so i felt the odds weren't too bad. my turn to get lucky. and just to confirm that Teeks is an absolute gent. even though at the time he may have felt he'd just been done over by a bag of spanners he was very gracious in the chat box.
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks Geldy.

You were spot on as to my range in this spot. I don't mind who knows this, but the fact is, with that stack (I had something silly, 20+ Bigs or whatever) I 100% ALWAYS have a "good ace" in my hand, usually with a deuce, too. In that spot, pre-flop, I NEVER go to war without an ace, ever ever. Maybe a bad thing, but thats how it is.  

So your "read" that 3-4-5-7 were" live" was 100% correct.

I was a little sad to see you getting a few snidey comments as to your ranges last night. It was all that "really?" sort of innuendo, because they disapproved of your (new) style of play. I really don't like seeeing that sort of stuff. We pay our own Entry Fees, we can play any way we like. In reality, of course, it's "bad losers".  

It's fair to say you are trying something very different. I could not play 3-4-5-7 in a month of Sundays, but as we saw, when we run it through an odds calculator, it is only 54%-46%, & I can think of far worse match-ups.

As to that hand last night, my only cdoncern was mY play, not yoors. I can decide what I play or don't plsy, I can't decide what you want to play, so I'm never going to be cross with anyone but myself.

You must have seen all those threads, "how could the idiot call?" I have to excercise maximum self-restraint not to reply to those.....

If the hands were face up pre, do we want a that call? Of course we do. So we can't have it both ways, "yes please, unless you win, in which case you are an idiot".

Put in a way that MaCac would understand, "cake & eat it". ;)   

• edited September 2014
    Leicester DNB ^^ what does that mean please? oh....and orford plays that premiership promotion BTW. He hasnt won anything, ofc. Amazed you dont actually use Sky Bet TBH. You promote their services when you do them special betting shows so why not?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Hi Alan,

"DNB" means "Draw No Bet". So if it ends as a draw, you get your money back.

Sky Bet? I just don't feel comfy betting with them, it sort of feels wrong somehow. Not sure why, tbh.  

• edited September 2014
    ' It was quite a spectacular bad beat, (or so I thought at the time) but it never bothered me a jot, & I never complained, just typed "N1 Gelders". A geezer not in the pot then pipes up " you should have folded pre, for ICM reasons ". He may have been right, in truth, though the timing of his comment was a tad off I thought. Several people typed "WHO should have folded?", lol, as the two hands were very different. ' I'm sure i'll regret replying, as someone usually replies and an argument ensues but here goes. yeah hands up TK, sorry if you thought my comment was off. Geldy was right, he max opened and you re-potted. IMO you should fold because 1) they always call, 2) at best its 60:40, more likely 55:45, 3) you had 3600 chips, 4) the sum of all ROI is -10% for the rake, so if you always take flips , you reduce your edge and maybe can never win in the long run. anyhow, I enjoy your thread and playing with you so long may it continue. laterz
    Posted by suzy666
    Suzy the Geezer!

Welcome to the thread, & I'm glad you read, & replied.

I fully understand ICM, & if I thought Gelders was likely to call, I'd have played it differently, but I was pretty sure I could force the fold there - he often folds to my re-pots. I was wrong.

You ARE correct of course, in ICM terms it was a clear fold, "find a better spot". I always prefer taking it down pre-flop, for obvious reasons. That was why I posted the hand, because, on balance, I think I made an error, & your comment was correct.

There won't be an argument, trust me, we don't have rucks on this thread, we are grown-ups.

I do happen to think that when chatting to players immediately after a beat, we need to tread warily, or even just dissecting each others play. The chat-box is such an awkward medium to debate these things, with the attendant risk of misunderstandings going off. In truth, I thought the comment was fine, but the timing was a tad borderline. Be assured, no offence taken, but I like this Diary to be honest. I'd also just lost my 5th £11er in 7 attempts, so maybe I was in defensive mode. ;)

Anyway, it got you to Post, as you are, presumably, a regular reader, so I'm chuffed to bits with that, boomio!

See you tonight.     

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :  
    I was a little sad to see you getting a few snidey comments as to your ranges last night. It was all that " really ?" sort of innuendo, because they disapproved of your (new) style of play.......
    If the hands were face up pre, do we want a that call? Of course we do. So we can't have it both ways, "yes please, unless you win, in which case you are an idiot".   Put in a way that MaCac would understand, "cake & eat it". ;)      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think it is an occupational hazard with unconventional play. I may have mentioned my experiment here was inspired by a chat i had with IrishRose. She has an unconventional style in NLHE that is hard to play against, and she mentioned that she occasionally gets these types of comments as well.  I'm pretty thick-skinned so it's not a problem for me, so please don't worry about it either. To me the fact they don't understand what i am doing is a good thing, i'm more worried about those that do understand. (and some comments may have been inspired by seeing their hero & mentor being carried off injured after being hit by what seemed to be a bag of spanners)

do feel free to question my play though, that's how we all get better.
  • edited September 2014
    ''I was a little sad to see you getting a few snidey comments as to your ranges last night. It was all that "really?" sort of innuendo, because they disapproved of your (new) style of play. I really don't like seeeing that sort of stuff. We pay our own Entry Fees, we can play any way we like. In reality, of course, it's "bad losers".  

It's fair to say you are trying something very different. I could not play 3-4-5-7 in a month of Sundays, but as we saw, when we run it through an odds calculator, it is only 54%-46%, & I can think of far worse match-ups.''

I played in a £5 PLO8 MTT the other night (came 2nd out of 32....BRAG ;-)), but I saw a number of, either newish(considering how new I am to the game, this may sound a bit odd) or 'inventive' players with some really odd holdings, and it made it very, very difficult to play against them. 
    It took me ages to put them on any kind of ranges (and even then it was at best a bit of a stab in the dark). IMO the best NLHE players are those that constantly keep you off balance and I can't see any reason PLO8 would be any different, the moment we become too predictable it becomes a leak. 
    Just a thought.
    Neil

• edited September 2014
    ICM?
    In Cake Mode, obviously.

Can I borrow your diary please TK to answer a question somebody asked me in a chat box last night.

So, playing last night, someone asked me why I play so differently at night than I do during the day. Almost immediately someone else at the table, piped up and said something along the lines of 'I've wondered that'.

I said in the chat box, too long to explain whilst playing and to read the diary, so here goes.

During the day, I find the games very much a challenge, there are some very good players who if at a table make it very difficult.  I like that challenge, I like to try to play my best during the day. It's during the day that I play (usually!) a standard, solid game. Or as solid as I am able, anyways, that's how I play during the day.

Evening time is a different matter entirely.  I then play entirely 100% for fun.  I enjoy the chat (if I'm able to participate) and donking certain people! I don't exactly play like a lunatic, but, I don't play in a way in which I would advocate anyone follows or replicates!  I'll call light, come over the top with nowt if I think I can force a fold, I'll see more flops, I'll limp in etc etc.  I have a stack size threshold, in relation to levels,  in which I won't go below and will get my chips in the middle with average (to say the least) hands, when during the day, I'd be folding.
    Winning money playing this game has never bothered me one ounce.  If I played my A game all the time, I'd possibly be a wee bit more profitable, but it's not enough to make any difference in the grand scheme of things anyway.

Sorted.
  • edited September 2014
    ''I was a little sad to see you getting a few snidey comments as to your ranges last night. It was all that " really ?" sort of innuendo, because they disapproved of your (new) style of play . I really don't like seeeing that sort of stuff. We pay our own Entry Fees, we can play any way we like. In reality, of course, it's "bad losers".   It's fair to say you are trying something very different. I could not play 3-4-5-7 in a month of Sundays, but as we saw, when we run it through an odds calculator, it is only 54%-46% , & I can think of far worse match-ups.'' I played in a £5 PLO8 MTT the other night (came 2nd out of 32.... BRAG ;-)), but I saw a number of, either newish(considering how new I am to the game, this may sound a bit odd) or 'inventive' players with some really odd holdings, and it made it very, very difficult to play against them.  It took me ages to put them on any kind of ranges (and even then it was at best a bit of a stab in the dark). IMO the best NLHE players are those that constantly keep you off balance and I can't see any reason PLO8 would be any different, the moment we become too predictable it becomes a leak.  Just a thought. Neil
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    +1 to all that Neil.

I really think Gelders experiment is fascinating, & has opened the eyes of many of us.

I'm a little too "A-B-C", and it just about works, but only just, & I'm keen to look at ways of trying to get a bit better.

Broadly, I win around 57% of my games long-term. I need to get that to 60%, so I have to keep tweaking, fettling & faffing.  

• edited September 2014
    ICM? In Cake Mode, obviously. Can I borrow your diary please TK to answer a question somebody asked me in a chat box last night. So, playing last night, someone asked me why I play so differently at night than I do during the day. Almost immediately someone else at the table, piped up and said something along the lines of 'I've wondered that'. I said in the chat box, too long to explain whilst playing and to read the diary, so here goes. During the day, I find the games very much a challenge, there are some very good players who if at a table make it very difficult.  I like that challenge, I like to try to play my best during the day. It's during the day that I play (usually!) a standard, solid game. Or as solid as I am able, anyways, that's how I play during the day. Evening time is a different matter entirely.  I then play entirely 100% for fun.  I enjoy the chat (if I'm able to participate) and donking certain people! I don't exactly play like a lunatic, but, I don't play in a way in which I would advocate anyone follows or replicates!  I'll call light, come over the top with nowt if I think I can force a fold, I'll see more flops, I'll limp in etc etc.  I have a stack size threshold, in relation to levels,  in which I won't go below and will get my chips in the middle with average (to say the least) hands, when during the day, I'd be folding. Winning money playing this game has never bothered me one ounce.  If I played my A game all the time, I'd possibly be a wee bit more profitable, but it's not enough to make any difference in the grand scheme of things anyway. Sorted.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Lol, only YOU could come up with that.
  • edited September 2014
    I just googled ICM and after reading about it for five minutes, I have almost lost the will to live.
  • edited September 2014
    I just googled ICM and after reading about it for five minutes, I have almost lost the will to live.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    !

It is a bit "heavy", but it is essential to know.

However, many people instinctively "feel it", which is fine.

It's like the maths & odds in NLHE, people argue about a few %. Thewy, for example, does not "know" any of the exact numbers, but has a perfect "feel" for pot odds. I would imagine Matt bates, Scotty, TommyD & the like are the same. 

I do smile a little when I see a PHA debate arguing about a few % points. It's all guesswork UNLESS we exactly know villain's hand.

ICM is a bit uphill to learn at first, but once you get a feel for it, you sort of no longer need it - because it gives you the logic, the theory, the "feel" of what we should do.

And you soon know who does not understand it, when they limp-fold  from a, say, 4 BB stack, or call 80% of their stack when, in reality, they can - or SHOULD - never fold now. Betting 1,000 from 3,000 & a player with 1,200 flat calls is a bit bizarre, but we see it every night.    

• edited September 2014
    Had an interesting comment in the chat last night. There was an UTG raise and then 3 calls. I pass my BB and UTG guy says something like, you seriously folding there you're getting 7/1. Playing my last 10 or so BBs it's like 25% of my stack and with K6o and that action it's never going to be pretty. I can shove of course but I'm getting at least one call in a BH there, I can wait.

The maths of it doesn't not only apply to that instant decision, there are reverse implied odds of calling there, and a loss of fold equity that I retain by keeping the extra chips for the following hands. A lot of the %s we need to make the correct decisions must be estimated, so for most situations a 'feel' for it is enough.
  • edited September 2014
    Had an interesting comment in the chat last night. There was an UTG raise and then 3 calls. I pass my BB and UTG guy says something like, you seriously folding there you're getting 7/1. Playing my last 10 or so BBs it's like 25% of my stack and with K6o and that action it's never going to be pretty. I can shove of course but I'm getting at least one call in a BH there, I can wait. The maths of it doesn't not only apply to that instant decision, there are reverse implied odds of calling there, and a loss of fold equity that I retain by keeping the extra chips for the following hands. A lot of the %s we need to make the correct decisions must be estimated, so for most situations a 'feel' for it is enough.
    Posted by bbMike
    Agree.

There was a similar comment in a PLO8 DYM last night, when the BB folded to an all-in shove of 2 Bigs, (one caller already) even though it was very little more to call. He is not OBLIGED to call here if he has spanners.

The SB maybe should call here, but.....the shortie was a very good player.

The thing here is how wise is it to treble up a very good player, especially at a stage when we are all playing relatively shallow, around 8 Bigs average?

I found myself in the same spot later when the Shortie SB shoved on my big, & I folded to a chorus of "really?"

My hand was 4-4-4-4.
  • edited September 2014

The thread is rocking & rolling today!

Back to fun for a moment, I deliberately made a horrendous play last night, when I was monsta chippie, I just could not help myself. I knew how terribad it was, but I could not resist, especially as Twiglet was in the BB.

So I potted it with the old A-A-A-A, then showed after they all folded. 

They were not even suited. 

Them's me dancing shoes.

• edited September 2014
    Two interesting spots came up in the £11ers last night. In the first, I had doubled up early - too early really, so with low blinds, a long wait followed. Every now & then I'd find a hand, potted it, everyone dutifully folded, & I'd maintain my healthy stack. Unusually, & with good reason, I "showed" my hand every time so they knew I was only playing premium hands. Then I found A-K-9-2 DS, so potted it, & got re-raised. We can never be in terrible shape here, but did I need to risk it? I can fold & still be chip leader, & to make it more awkward, the raiser - Gelders - was 2nd in chips. Pre-flop I'm pretty sure I probably have the better hand. Bit of an awkward spot, but I could not find the fold, & was never peeling, so in they went, & I got turned over. It was quite a spectacular bad beat, (or so I thought at the time) but it never bothered me a jot, & I never complained, just typed "N1 Gelders". A geezer not in the pot then pipes up " you should have folded pre, for ICM reasons ". He may have been right, in truth, though the timing of his comment was a tad off I thought. Several people typed "WHO should have folded?", lol, as the two hands were very different.   Anyway, maybe I should hsave found the fold? Dunno, my hand was really strong. I looked it up later on an odds calculator, as I was intrigued. I was 54% - 46% fave pre-flop in equity terms.   I scoop 35% of the time, v 29% the "villain" scoops.   So, remarkably, I'm not THAT far ahead pre-flop, though I'd love to take that match up 10,000 times. Perhaps a bad play in a DYM, & a great play in a Cash game? On balance, & with hindsight, think I should have folded pre. Goodbye £11.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    It all depends on table situations. ICM can be helpful in some formats of the game however in hi lo dyms I feel it to be a negative factor. The reason for this is because it can lead you down the wrong path. What ICM can't tell you is about table situations and I feel table situations is the biggest factor in this form of the game. Its OK saying the percentages say x y z, and if you want to play and make small profits here and there then yes use ICM and fold the hand. However to be more advanced you have to get a grip of situational play. For example, I noticed very early on that geldy was playing with a wider range than normal. Now in the pot talked about if noticed that has to be taken into account and even gives tiks more fuel to make the call even if ICM is saying differently. Therefore its a call for me. Trust me play the situation and not the stats in this game you will be amazed just how clearer this game becomes instead of the confusing mind blowing world of ICM :)
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Tony
    Question for you:

I was playing in a PLO8 MTT on Sunday and got to final table.
    It became quite obvious that the chip leader was playing hands more suited to PLO than PLO8 (Broadway type hands,etc.)
    Ended up losing to him HU.

Given that there is always a Hi winning hand, what do you think of this type of play in an MTT?

Cheers
    Mick
  • edited September 2014
    The other interesting (?...) spot was versus Hotwheals. We both had full stacks, I had good Aces, A-A-2-x, can't recall exactly.   We both know & understand each others ranges. He knows I am strong here. As he had opened, I re-potted, & he flatted, I'm pretty sure he had a combo hand, some combo of A-K-Q-2 or A-K-Q-3. I can, pretty closely, assign a range to him here. He's never going to show up with a weirdo holding.   The flop raised a red flag immediately - paired Kings, K-K-x.   I insta thought "does he have the King?" The King forms a sizeable part of his range in this very specific spot, so yes, he can have it. But if I check, or show weakness, even without the King, he can steal it off me.   I dithered momentarily, & decided to press on, even though he re-potted me. He does not HAVE to have the King.  But he did. ;) Think his hand was the very respectable A-K-3-2 or somesuch.   Think I should have folded when he took off on that flop, but that's easy to say with hindsight. He is huge fun to play, & a real test. I generally keep out of his way, but if I have a hand, we'll go to war.       
    Posted by Tikay10

Now I have explained situational play here is a good example of it. If I had been playing tiks hand I would have given up once I had seen the K. The reason for this is because tiks already has two of the aces and he knows my game well enough to know that I have something decent so with that in mind the likelihood of me having one king is almost certain in this spot, so yes in this situation it has to be a fold.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now I have explained situational play here is a good example of it. If I had been playing tiks hand I would have given up once I had seen the K. The reason for this is because tiks already has two of the aces and he knows my game well enough to know that I have something decent so with that in mind the likelihood of me having one king is almost certain in this spot, so yes in this situation it has to be a fold.
    Posted by Hotwheals
    Thanks Hotty, & yes, I eventually realised that I made the wrong decision.

The fact that I lost the hand is irrelevant, of course. It was just a piece of poor judgement.

Against some players, it would be the correct play, of course. A serial tea-leaf, (mention no names) can easily try & rep the king here.