You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014

I forgot to mention a new player in our midst, who has absolutely murdered the games the last few days, "dutyfree28".

Don't think I saw him lose a single game yesterday, & he played plenty, & just kept running up huge stacks.

Welcome aboard Mr DutyFree.

The game just keeps getting harder, all these good new players, most of them members of Team Aggro.

• edited September 2014
    The team aggro lot are brilliant. It makes the game/s so much more fun.
    My theory is that most are coming from NLH and that's played differently with regard to stack sizes  and what people are comfortable with. In PLO8 most of us are, not exactly happy, but not worrying, if we have 1000 or 900 chips. In NLH I have noticed the shove threshold is higher than that. 1400/1500 chips seems to get people shoving with half a hand and it's like that in PLO8. Great stuff all around.
  • edited September 2014
    Hey Tikay, good luck tonight.

I reached a milestone 1000 PLO8 dym games yesterday. As you know I was a Omaha player and I've thoroughly enjoyed the move over. I've learned alot along the way and I'm still learning little tweaks as I go along. One thing has always stood constant though and its adjusting to each player which is the fascinating part of the game. I agree its great to see new faces and some good ones too as it tests us even more.

Most of all it is the great company at the tables that has me coming back time and time again.....what a great bunch and what great entertainment every night! Thanks to all the Ploppers.

I now start my mission to hit 2k games :).

See you all at the tables.

Ger
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    The team aggro lot are brilliant. It makes the game/s so much more fun. My theory is that most are coming from NLH and that's played differently with regard to stack sizes  and what people are comfortable with. In PLO8 most of us are, not exactly happy, but not worrying, if we have 1000 or 900 chips. In NLH I have noticed the shove threshold is higher than that. 1400/1500 chips seems to get people shoving with half a hand and it's like that in PLO8. Great stuff all around.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Agree, love to see it, love to play against them. Real helter skelter stuff, great fun.
  • edited September 2014

Heaven is......

• edited September 2014
    Throw that rubbish in the bin!

Look, listen and learn something.
    Gravy is very easy to make, this is one way, even a monkey could do this.

When you cook a chicken or joint of meat, sit it on some roughly chopped onions, carrots, celery, bit of garlic, sprig of fresh herbs, owt like that you have.
    When the chicken/joint is cooked, remove from tray and whilst it is resting, you can make the gravy.

Tip out most of the fat from the tray, you need to leave a tablespoon or two in there. Keep the vegetables in there. Put the tray on the hob over a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of flour, stir for about 5 minutes, obviously don't let it burn. It will look like a mess, don't panic. Add a small glass of wine, red for beef, white for chicken, maybe a splash of port, or brandy etc, let the alcohol cook out, add a pint of stock, bring to boil, simmer well for five minutes, sieve into a saucepan and add more stock if you want thinner gravy, or boil until the gravy is as thick as you want. Check for seasoning and serve.
  • edited September 2014
    Throw that rubbish in the bin! Look, listen and learn something. Gravy is very easy to make, this is one way, even a monkey could do this. When you cook a chicken or joint of meat, sit it on some roughly chopped onions, carrots, celery, bit of garlic, sprig of fresh herbs, owt like that you have. When the chicken/joint is cooked, remove from tray and whilst it is resting, you can make the gravy. Tip out most of the fat from the tray, you need to leave a tablespoon or two in there. Keep the vegetables in there. Put the tray on the hob over a medium heat. Add a tablespoon of flour, stir for about 5 minutes, obviously don't let it burn. It will look like a mess, don't panic. Add a small glass of wine, red for beef, white for chicken, maybe a splash of port, or brandy etc, let the alcohol cook out, add a pint of stock, bring to boil, simmer well for five minutes, sieve into a saucepan and add more stock if you want thinner gravy, or boil until the gravy is as thick as you want. Check for seasoning and serve.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Please.

I never have, do not, & never will, eat or even touch ANY of those things.

I do not eat any vegetables except potatoes, never have done. It's the clue to my health & longevity.

And all that work. Boil a kettle of water, pour it on some Bisto Gravy Granules, job done. Personally, I add a little mint jelly, as it forms into sort of congealed blobs. Lovely, almost as yummy as thick custard skin.   
  • edited September 2014
    Hey Tikay, good luck tonight. I reached a milestone 1000 PLO8 dym games yesterday. As you know I was a Omaha player and I've thoroughly enjoyed the move over. I've learned alot along the way and I'm still learning little tweaks as I go along. One thing has always stood constant though and its adjusting to each player which is the fascinating part of the game. I agree its great to see new faces and some good ones too as it tests us even more. Most of all it is the great company at the tables that has me coming back time and time again.....what a great bunch and what great entertainment every night! Thanks to all the Ploppers. I now start my mission to hit 2k games :). See you all at the tables. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Congrats on the 1,000 games Ger, & best of luck in the next 1,000. It's quite something to swap from PLO to PLO8 & still be successful, well done.

You are a wonderful ambassador for poker, you really are.
  • edited September 2014
    ggggrrrrrrr.
    Veg free gravy!

Add one tablespoon of oil or butter or dripping etc into a saucepan. heat. add a tablespoon of flour. Over a medium high heat, stir until the mix lightly browns. Gradually add a pint of stock, whisking as you go. When all the stock is added bring to boil then simmer for five minutes. Season. Better than any granule nonsense!
  • edited September 2014
    ggggrrrrrrr. Veg free gravy! Add one tablespoon of oil or butter or dripping etc into a saucepan. heat. add a tablespoon of flour. Over a medium high heat, stir until the mix lightly browns. Gradually add a pint of stock, whisking as you go. When all the stock is added bring to boil then simmer for five minutes. Season. Better than any granule nonsense!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Stock?

Stock contains all sorts of dreadful vegetable matter.

Please be clear on this. Vegetables are the work of the devil. I do not eat them.

I only eat wholesome foods, like Gala Slices, & Pork Pies. Full of goodness, them.

• edited September 2014
    Tikay the TWADDLER
    You do not like talking about food But here you are
    going on about pies. Well I never..........
  • edited September 2014

What?

Pork Pies & Gala Slices are the very stuff of life. Without them, life would be so dull.
  • edited September 2014
    I can just imagine TK sat in his car, end of a runway, planespotting and eating a gala slice.
    With a flask of sodding bisto.

I am intrigued by TKs allotment now. Nine varieties of spud?
  • edited September 2014

Lol, to be fair Pork Pies are definitely worth shouting about, obviously with a tasty condiment to compliment the flavour......

Nic how did your helmet wearing, forward passing rugby team get on?  ;-)
  • edited September 2014
    JETS
    JETS
    JETS
    JETS
    LOST
  • edited September 2014
    Interesting session yesterday.
    Needed to reach my 50 points for the Prem Promo, so needed to play 11 more £3 games.
    Played a few in the afternoon and some last night.
    Lost track of the numbers and found out this morning i only played 10 ! (2 points short of a free £5 bet).
    Not all bad news as i won 9/10 :-)

Also saw an interesting comment from a player i hadn't seen before.
    "It does my head in when i get dealt 3 of a kind"
    He limped in and lost a few chips with KKK6.
  • edited September 2014
    Interesting session yesterday. Needed to reach my 50 points for the Prem Promo, so needed to play 11 more £3 games. Played a few in the afternoon and some last night. Lost track of the numbers and found out this morning i only played 10 ! (2 points short of a free £5 bet). Not all bad news as i won 9/10 :-) Also saw an interesting comment from a player i hadn't seen before. "It does my head in when i get dealt 3 of a kind" He limped in and lost a few chips with KKK6.
    Posted by VespaPX
    9/10? Wowzer, well done Halo Bloke! That scaffolding seems to be doing you good.

Talking of the KKK6 hand, I got a full stack in pre-flop yesterday with good Aces & got called by another full stack who had Q-8-8-8. The flop was an emphatic 9-10-J. BOOMIO 

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 9/10? Wowzer, well done Halo Bloke! That scaffolding seems to be doing you good.   Talking of the KKK6 hand, I got a full stack in pre-flop yesterday with good Aces & got called by another full stack who had Q-8-8-8. The flop was an emphatic 9-10-J. BOOMIO    
    Posted by Tikay10

Cheers Tony
    Took some of your advice and didn't chat too much and concentrated on my game.
    Got some run good and coolered a few (you included if i remember right).
    Still its nice to have Miss Variance on my side.
    Gotta love this game.

Oh and i think i'm picking up Radio 4 on my scaffolding !
  • edited September 2014
    What? Pork Pies & Gala Slices are the very stuff of life. Without them, life would be so dull.
    Posted by Tikay10
    As a child I used to take out the pork and leave the pastry stuff.
    Still do that now 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 9/10? Wowzer, well done Halo Bloke! That scaffolding seems to be doing you good.   Talking of the KKK6 hand, I got a full stack in pre-flop yesterday with good Aces & got called by another full stack who had Q-8-8-8. The flop was an emphatic 9-10-J. BOOMIO    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Can you stop talking about 'good aces' Tikay? I only played 4 OHL STTs last night and managed to bust in, I think, 3 out of 4 with 'good aces'. From now on I am sticking to waiting for quad 2's before potting it.

• edited September 2014
    Good start to my road to 2k...played 9 won 1! 

HELP!!!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : As a child I used to take out the pork and leave the pastry stuff. Still do that now 
    Posted by Jac35
    Loving all this pork pie & Bisto talk.
  • edited September 2014
    I can just imagine TK sat in his car, end of a runway, planespotting and eating a gala slice. With a flask of sodding bisto. I am intrigued by TKs allotment now. Nine varieties of spud?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    You've got me to a tee there.

Not just spuds, no, I grow beetroot, too. Beetroot is my other exception to the "no veg" rule, it's wonderful stuff.

My diet meals are usually 2 chicken breasts, a tin of sliced toms, add an Oxo cube to give it some bite & zing, plus cold pickled beetroot slices & some fresh pineapple.

Living the gourmet life, me.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Can you stop talking about 'good aces' Tikay? I only played 4 OHL STTs last night and managed to bust in, I think, 3 out of 4 with 'good aces'. From now on I am sticking to waiting for quad 2's before potting it.  
    Posted by Enut
    Thats the very beauty of the game!

I admit, sometimes when I have a big stack & get dealt good Aces, I'm sorely tempted to fold pre, in fact I folded Aces pre THREE times last night as I had no need to get involved. Probably get mocked for it, but thats how it is.

Good Aces are the best starting hand in PLO8 (A-A-2-3 DS is THE best hand) but even those are never THAT far ahead of 4 random cards.
  • edited September 2014
    Good start to my road to 2k...played 9 won 1!  HELP!!!
    Posted by gerardirl
    There's the thing, Ger, you lost 9 from 10, & Vespa, complete with scaffold, WON 9 from 10. What a formidable thing Variance is.

You'll be just fine. Keep doing the right thing, & your luck will turn soon enough. You have all the right fundamntals, you cannot lose long term.

The only think you can't do is overcome Variance when she has the hump. Nobody can. She's a fickle mistress though, you'll be fine tonight.

• edited September 2014

Just realised, this "challenge" has been going a year now, started 2nd September last year. How time flies.

Pretty pleased I managed to win £1,200 over that period, but equally a bit disappointed I have not done better.

Not exactly a cost-efrective use of my time I suppose, but then again, I've had an absolute TON of fun, made a lot of lovely friends, & made a shilling or two along the way. Freeroll City.

Can't be many hobbies where a recreational can have all that fun at no cost, with a £1,200 bonus on top.

Love the game, & the people.

• edited September 2014

I never had time to do Sunday's numbers, so two sets of daily numbers follow. Real curate's egg stuff it is, too.
  • edited September 2014

14th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 35

Won 18

Lost 17

£3.30, P 19, W 7, L 12

£5.50, P 15, W 11 L 4

£11, P 1, W 0, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,361.65

Closing Balance = £1,357.45

Profit/Loss on Night - £4.20

Profit/Loss on Month = £1.70

REWARD POINTS on night = 152

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,818 (= £18.11)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 402

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 224

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 55.72%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.00
  • edited September 2014

Was never quite "feeling it" on Sunday night, I tried my very best, but just could not get any winning momentum. No lack of concentration, no excuses, it just never happened. Thank goodness for the £5 games, which paid for most of the damage. Thought I played OK, but I just could not book enough wins.  

Anyway, that moved me into loss for September (excluding Rewards Points money), which is not exactly great.

Only played 1 game @ £11 (weird, there were so many of them running the previous few nights), & somehow managed to lose that in spectacular fashion.

I near trebled up in Level onme, & was sat there, 4 handed, with 5,500 chips. Now what? Super Aggro, sit quietly, or just await the right spots? Decided to be patient, but with blinds only 10-20, I had a LONG wait in prospect.

And I waited, & waited, & waited.....

The other 3 players were ALL very good, so were not getting out of line or doing anything silly, & the chips just seemed to go round & round. And my stack just dwindled, & dwindled, 5,000, 4,000, 3,000, 2,500..... now I NEEDED a spot, but could not find one. 

Now the Blinds were 400-800, & I had to do something, & soon. Luckily, there were no stations, everyone was playing properly, not even "making up" in the SB, but the guy to my immediate left had a really tight calling range, so I decided to make a move on him. I really hardly EVER shove unless I have an Ace in my hand, in fact I almost never play ANY hand that does not contain an ace, but I had to go with some ace-less combo spanners in the end. What were the chances he would wake up with the aces?........ But he did, & that was that, lol. 

Love this game, love it to bits.   

• edited September 2014

15th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 16

Won 14

Lost 2

£3.30, P 9, W 8, L 1

£5.50, P 6, W 5 L 1

£11, P 1, W 1, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,357.45

Closing Balance = £1,401.75

Profit/Loss on Night - £44.30

Profit/Loss on Month = £42.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 67

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,885 (= £18.85)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 418

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 238

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 56.94%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.10