You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Happy birthday Tikay. 50 today. Hope Sky have bunged you a fiver
    Posted by Jac35
    Thanks Mr......

50? If only.

And yes, Sky Poker did send me £5 for my Birthday. Cue any number of "why not me?" posts.....

Had an extremely hectic few days, including Tuesday's Show, which finished at midnight, then left home @ 4am yesterday to drive up to Leeds, & returning home via an evening in Stoke of all places, & eventually arriving back home @ 2am this morning. Sheesh, need sleep.  
  • edited September 2014

Many thanks to Hotty, Gelders, Hendrik, Miss Spite-Call & Phantom for the comments & questions, especially as to the current becalmed bankroll challenge. Very interesting actually.

Will reply to them all soonest, & also do Monday's numbers.

Will be back on the Tables tonight, fingers crossed, (maybe start around 5pm), & that will be the start of a 7 night session, right through to next Wednesday, so hopefully I can regain some momentum.

See you tonight, am itching to play already!
  • edited September 2014
    Better polish my spanners for later then !
  • edited September 2014
    I am no longer fun-calling, don't worry bout me.
    On a seriouser note, regarding your bankroll challenge thingummy, you started doing something differently about five months ago. Something you didn't do previously when you would win a bit each month.
    As whatshisname used to say, can you tell what it is yet?
  • edited September 2014

8th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 35

Won 20

Lost 15

£3.30, P 19, W 11, L 8

£5.50, P 11, W 7 L 4

£11, P 5, W 2, L 3

Opening Balance - £1,380.95

Closing Balance = £1,375.45

Profit/Loss on Night - £5.50

Profit/Loss on Month = £19.10

REWARD POINTS on night = 162

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,117 (= £11.17)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 247

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 139

AUGUST WIN % = 56.27%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.08
  • edited September 2014

Was a good night until I somehow lost the last 5 on the bounce, including 2 @ £11, so that little lot came to a swing the wrong way of £60+. Bleurgh. In reality, we can't & should not look at 35 games in isolation, the real answer is over the whole month, which is 700 games or so. Can't be too many excuses over that sample size.

Witnessed some really nastly rail chat & trolling, jeez, what is the matter with people?

That apart, a really fun night.

Might change the style of these little daily reports, daily updates of why I won or lost a tenner (rarely much more or less) can't exactly be riveting reading, but I know a few peeps read them, so I'll try & spice them up with some real-life stories & tales.

I did have some awesome battles with Hotty & JACEON, I was getting SO many good hands, so that was great fun being able to play back at Team Aggro.

Lost one £11er after running up a BIG stack early, & I suppose I could & maybe should have shut up shop, but once I start pressing the aggro pedal, I can't seem to stop myself, I go a bit crazy-wazy. Anyway, Hotty opened with a raise (obv), & I had bad aces, DS but high only. The thing is though, he opens quite wide & I KNOW he'll fold to my re-pot unless he is mega-strong, & he's good enough to know my repot range. And if he comes along, fine, I can't be in terribad shape.

Then, the unexpected happened - chap behind me, yet to act, re-pots all-in! Yikes. OK sunshine, let's dance. He had A-2-10-10, & the 2-2-4 flop kinda sealed the deal. Next case.

Serves me right really, I did not need to get involved, especially as I never had a combo-hand. If my hand had held, of course, I'd have thought I was the bees-knees.....

What a great game this is.    

• edited September 2014
    Was a good night until I somehow lost the last 5 on the bounce, including 2 @ £11, so that little lot came to a swing the wrong way of £60+. Bleurgh. In reality, we can't & should not look at 35 games in isolation, the real answer is over the whole month, which is 700 games or so. Can't be too many excuses over that sample size. Witnessed some really nastly rail chat & trolling, jeez, what is the matter with people? That apart, a really fun night.   Might change the style of these little daily reports, daily updates of why I won or lost a tenner (rarely much more or less) can't exactly be riveting reading, but I know a few peeps read them, so I'll try & spice them up with some real-life stories & tales.   I did have some awesome battles with Hotty & JACEON, I was getting SO many good hands, so that was great fun being able to play back at Team Aggro.   Lost one £11er after running up a BIG stack early, & I suppose I could & maybe should have shut up shop, but once I start pressing the aggro pedal, I can't seem to stop myself, I go a bit crazy-wazy. Anyway, Hotty opened with a raise (obv), & I had bad aces, DS but high only. The thing is though, he opens quite wide & I KNOW he'll fold to my re-pot unless he is mega-strong, & he's good enough to know my repot range. And if he comes along, fine, I can't be in terribad shape. Then, the unexpected happened - chap behind me, yet to act, re-pots all-in! Yikes. OK sunshine, let's dance. He had A-2-10-10, & the 2-2-4 flop kinda sealed the deal. Next case.   Serves me right really, I did not need to get involved, especially as I never had a combo-hand. If my hand had held, of course, I'd have thought I was the bees-knees..... What a great game this is.       
    Posted by Tikay10

I remember that hand too, took me by surprise too lol.

• edited September 2014

A quick real-life story. Serious matter, too, but my interest is that it happened very close to where I live, & I've been observing the aftermath since. And also that I can't help but notice how, these days, little arguments seem to get out of hand.

This tragedy happened on Sunday evening.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/three-held-by-police-after-suspicious-death-of-tourist-outside-hampton-court-gastropub-9719802.html

If you don't have the time to read it, in short, there was an argument in a pub on Sunday, & a chap got killed after, somehow, a fight spilled onto the road & he got knocked over by a passing van.

So far....

The road was closed for a long period, so traffic was snarled up for miles.

The pub has remained closed ever since, 4 days now, so the locals can't drink there any more.

The Landlord has been charged with manslaughter, & conspiracy to pervert the course of justice, after a CCTV Camera, which "saw" it all mysteriously disappeared. If found guilty, he'll go to prison for a goodly while, & his pub will have to close.

The victim, from the USA, will go home in a coffin.

A dreadful thing, however you look at it.

But here's the thing. There were dozens of eye-witnesses to the whole thing, &, it seems, it all began after a minor, petty & trivial argument about something escalated & got out of hand. Now one chap is dead, & another, if found guilty, might find himself in prison for a few years. 

And it all began with a petty argument. 

You may or may not get my drift, but it just amazes me how we have become a society where so many seem so happy to argue & get uppity. Sometimes, the consequences of these petty arguments are not at all what we might imagine.

Peace, & all that. 

OK, back to poker.    
  • edited September 2014
    A quick real-life story. Serious matter, too, but my interest is that it happened very close to where I live, & I've been observing the aftermath since. And also that I can't help but notice how, these days, little arguments seem to get out of hand. 

His death has shocked residents in a road lined with gated homes worth millions of pounds.

You do know there is a BBV section!

Joking apart, amazing how little disagreements do escalate and get out of hand very quickly nowadays. It will be very sad news to his family when they are traced.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :
    A quick real-life story. Serious matter, too, but my interest is that it happened very close to where I live , & I've been observing the aftermath since. And also that I can't help but notice how, these days, little arguments seem to get out of hand.  His death has shocked residents in a road lined with gated homes worth millions of pounds. You do know there is a BBV section! Joking apart, amazing how little disagreements do escalate and get out of hand very quickly nowadays. It will be very sad news to his family when they are traced.
    Posted by MAXALLY

If only - I'm on the other side of the river, where the poor folk live.

And yes, these little tiffs do get out of hand so quickly. Aliens from another planet would look at us & assume we had not yet learned the art of turning the other cheek.
  • edited September 2014

Stop!....please dont turn this into another alien thread.
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Tikay
    Great fun tonight. I just wanted to say that your thread is the first thing I look for when I turn the computer on, I think quite a few people look forward to reading it and how you won or lost. You have undoubtedly brought a lot of new faces into the plo8 tables (me included) and that has meant that we have all found a "happier" place to play our poker.
    I also know that you secretly love all the food discussions :)
    Nick
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Tikay Great fun tonight. I just wanted to say that your thread is the first thing I look for when I turn the computer on, I think quite a few people look forward to reading it and how you won or lost. You have undoubtedly brought a lot of new faces into the plo8 tables (me included) and that has meant that we have all found a "happier" place to play our poker. I also know that you secretly love all the food discussions :) Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Sigh @ "food discussions".......

That apart, thanks Nick. ;)
  • edited September 2014

Ladies & Gents, let me tell you some of the tosh I have to read in the PLO8 chat boxes at night.

This conversation actually took place last night. I've had to resort to memory, so a few facts may be misplaced, or even wrong, but this WAS the gist of it. They were discussing some sort of game, I believe. 

Do you play blob on blob?

Only if you throw a six.

Oh, we go by stack size, biggest stack gets an extra blob.

No no, throw a 1, & the biggest stack gets the bonus blob.

And if that was not bad enough, the next convo was about Elephant's feet.

No, not these.....

They were discussing these. For an HOUR.

• edited September 2014

I SHALL reply to all the helpful comments about the current becalmedness of my bankroll challenge, but I'm a bit busy today, things to do, &, you know, stuff.

It's also pretty tough to concentrate on the finer arts of PLO8 when all around are discussing Elephants Feet & blobs
  • edited September 2014

11th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 36

Won 21

Lost 15

£3.30, P 22, W 13, L 9

£5.50, P 11, W 8 L 3

£11, P 3, W 0, L 3

Opening Balance - £1,378.25

Closing Balance = £1,375.15

Profit/Loss on Night - £3.10

Profit/Loss on Month = £16.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 162

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,271 (= £12.71)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 283

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 160

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 56.54%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.06
  • edited September 2014

All things blob related, the masterful game that is Uckers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uckers

• edited September 2014

Started like the proverbial train, won 11 of the first 15, held that profit all the way through until almost the very end, when I lost 5 of the last 6, including two @ £11, to destroy the nights numbers completely.

jftxdth,xfcrfdjfg.

£11 - Played THREE, lost THREE. 

Pfft.

Played pretty deece most of the evening, & one of the £11 losses was a tad brutal after I thought I had it locked up.

What a frustrating game this can be! Every night, a different excuse.....

Good fun though, the chat box was in great form.

Fairly new player joined us, "WINSHOES", seems a smashing lad, & VERY good from what I can see. 

One of the £11 jobbies had Hotty, JACEON & lala all lined up in a row with position on me. Guess I finished 4th then.

I'll get you boys one of these nights, I will. BE AFRAID.

• edited September 2014
    All things blob related, the masterful game that is Uckers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uckers
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    What?

What is this nonsense on my thread?

Never heard of it.

Wiki explains it all.

If a piece lands on a square with a playing piece of the same colour then this is known as a blob and is basically a barrier. An opposing piece is not allowed to jump over them, but friendly pieces can. The only way an opposing piece can get by a blob is to destroy it. A player can do this by landing on an opponent's 'blob' with a 'blob' of their own or to 'six' the 'blob' off. To do this they will need to have a playing piece adjacent to the blob and then on their turn throw X + 1 sixes where X = the number of playing pieces forming the blob. Note that if the blob is on its own colour doorstep, then an additional six (i.e. X + 2 sixes) must be thrown to remove the blob and exit the homebase.

If one succeeds in knocking the blob off then the single playing piece used to attack the blob is moved to the square that the blob was on and the pieces forming the blob are returned to the base. Play then continues to the next player.

If a player's piece lands on a square with a playing piece that belongs to their partner or is their other colour, then this is called a mixi blob (or a mixed barrier). Unlike blobs, a mixi blob is equivalent to a single playing piece so the opponent can land on the square and send all the playing bits back to their relevant bases. The opponent can pass over a friendly mixi blob as it provides no barrier to movement; a blob may not be attacked by a piece from an adjacent opposing mixi blob. A player can either move normally or attack (or six) a blob. A piece cannot be moved next to a blob and then, on the same go, attack it

You all got that? Thought not.

Get this tosh outa here, this is a grown-up thread, for grown-ups, & MEN. We don't play childrens games here.

THIS is a blob. (No, the one dressed in pink).

• edited September 2014
    Paging Vespa.

Given the choice of Uckers or Poker, for the banter and fun and abuse, poker I am afraid would be second.
  • edited September 2014

Same time, same place, tonight.

Be there.

And blob talk will be BANNED.
  • edited September 2014
    Paging Vespa. Given the choice of Uckers or Poker, for the banter and fun and abuse, poker I am afraid would be second.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Ooooooooooooo Uckers wins every time !
  • edited September 2014
    Same time, same place, tonight. Be there. And blob talk will be BANNED.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Given that you are the poker equivalent of an Uckers 'six throwing *******' I doubt the 'blob' talk as you put it will stop!

Seeya tonight, will be late, going out for early dinner but home straight after so I will be able to delight you with details of everything I had to eat, possibly what I didn't eat, what I drank etc etc.  And after those two hours are up, we can get back to mixey blob chat if vespa or nic turn up.

Bet you can't wait!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Given that you are the poker equivalent of an Uckers 'six throwing *******' I doubt the 'blob' talk as you put it will stop! Seeya tonight, will be late, going out for early dinner but home straight after so I will be able to delight you with details of everything I had to eat, possibly what I didn't eat, what I drank etc etc.  And after those two hours are up, we can get back to mixey blob chat if vespa or nic turn up. Bet you can't wait!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Won't be around tonight im afraid as our daughter is coming to stay and we're having a big chinese take away:-)
    (more food talk !!)
    Probably be back at the weekend for a game or 2.
  • edited September 2014
    Have fun vesp, I'll try to put a few timber shifting type moves on TK in your absence.
  • edited September 2014
    Thats a choux bun not an elephants foot
    Never mind we will be able to talk for hours about the finer points of cakes and uckers
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Won't be around tonight im afraid as our daughter is coming to stay and we're having a big chinese take away:-) (more food talk !!) Probably be back at the weekend for a game or 2.
    Posted by VespaPX
    don't forget to ask for your kung pao chicken the traditional sichuan way.
  • edited September 2014
    Thats a choux bun not an elephants foot Never mind we will be able to talk for hours about the finer points of cakes and uckers
    Posted by pompeynic
    that's a relief - I thought they were talking about Chernobyl - and I know not of these blobs of which you speak - whoosh straight over my head.

A monster was born in the Chernobyl disaster. Lurking in the depths of the reactor ruins, the monster is one of the most dangerous things in the world. In the immediate aftermath of the meltdown, to spend 300 seconds in its presence would bring certain death. Even today, it radiates heat and death, though its power has weakened.

http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/the-elephant-foot-of-the-chernobyl-disaster-1986/

• edited September 2014
    Have fun vesp, I'll try to put a few timber shifting type moves on TK in your absence.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    your turn

I seem to remember winning every big pot i played vs Teeks last night, most of which he potted first, as i was always to his left. Didn't see whether i was being lucky or good (too many tables for that), but i'm sure i wasn't respecting his raises as much as he'd like me to, but my hands definitely weren't full of spanners! they weren't were they Teeks? no, i'm sure they weren't that imaginative - optimistic maybe but imaginative, no.
  • edited September 2014
    Mornin' Tikay, I trust you'll be attending the big 50th birthday bash today?