You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014

Played a weird one, & on the VERY first hand, geezer busts 2 players, & trebles up. Nice.

After a few levels, it became apparent that one player was AWAY. 

Go looking for them on other Tables, no sign. (It was "legassie").

So here we have one of those delicate spots. We are all in the money if legassie fails to show up, & we don't get involved with each other......

And soon, a pattern emerged. Everyone folds to the player in the SB to legassie's BB, who then pots it. You get the drift.

Makes me feel a tad uncomfortable, in truth, but the key thing was not a soul said a single word in the chat box. Once they do, of course, we are getting into the murky grey areas of collusion. But nothing was said, & we all knew what each other was thinking. I passed Aces several times, in fact.

Awkward. What would YOU do in that spot?

Anyway, legassie never showed up, & so you know how it ended. 

Oddly.....

Later the same evening, it hapened AGAIN, but this time legassie was present, & another player was AWAY. 

What goes round comes round, I guess.  

All a bit uncomfortable, but there was no messing about, just 3 players acting, it seems to me, sensibly.

You could of course take a different view - that we owe it to the AWAY player to try & bust each other. An equally valid view.

Not a big deal I suppose, but it deffo left me feeling a bit uncomfy.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    AWAY players. I meant to mention this a few days ago, but it's been a bit of an awkward few days. 3 little "AWAY" tales.  Twiglet was "AWAY" vin one, but was playing another table, No less than FOUR of us went to her other table to give here a nudge that she was "AWAY" on another table. That's exactly the spirit I love to see in poker.   But AWAY players can & do present us with some weird dilemmas.   More follows......   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks one and all for that nudge. For some reason the table hadn't opened for me when the game had commenced.

3000 points this month? Let's do oo oo it!

I had a fantastic start to the goal last night, reached 100 points without trying and the balance increased by, the absolutely outstanding, ploptastic, fifteen pence! To be fair, should have been a loss, was playing distracted and subsequently badly.

Lots of new faces playing, yeah, with lots of playing styles, it's fantastic.
  • edited September 2014

....that would be like letting Man utd having a cut of the Champions League money this season!

Yeah....I think sparky liked that result at the w'end  :)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks one and all for that nudge. For some reason the table hadn't opened for me when the game had commenced. 3000 points this month? Let's do oo oo it! I had a fantastic start to the goal last night, reached 100 points without trying and the balance increased by, the absolutely outstanding, ploptastic, fifteen pence! To be fair, should have been a loss, was playing distracted and subsequently badly. Lots of new faces playing, yeah, with lots of playing styles, it's fantastic.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Thanks Twiglet.

I only told the tale for balance to the other 2 stories, where we sort of farmed the AWAY player.

Nothing in life is ever simple, is it?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : El maestro? El Donkeyo more like. Anyway, wait for the numbers. I crushed. Ish. Good to see you back amongst us. You been to China-town again? How do you cope with the language over there? Does everyone speak English?  
    Posted by Tikay10
    it's not so bad with a bit of practice

服务员!再来两瓶啤酒

• edited September 2014
    服务员 fú​wù​yuán​ waiter / waitress / attendant / customer service personnel / CL:個|个[ge4],位[wei4]
    zài​ again / once more / re- / second / another / then (after sth, and not until then)
    lái​ to come / to arrive / to come round / ever since / next
    liǎng​ two / both / some / a few / tael, unit of weight equal to 50 grams (modern) or 1⁄16 of a catty 斤[jin1] (old)
    píng​ bottle / vase / pitcher / CL:個|个[ge4] / classifier for wine and liquids
    píng​ variant of 瓶[ping2]             
    啤酒 pí​jiǔ​ beer (loanword) / CL:杯[bei1],瓶[ping2],罐[guan4],桶[tong3],缸[gang1]
  • edited September 2014
    but the real secret is to surround yourself with people who speak mandarin better than yourself

• edited September 2014
    I am Fluent in Satsuma if that helps
  • edited September 2014
    careful referring to yourself as a donkey Teeks
    donkey stew is a known delicacy over there
    tastes ok as well

• edited September 2014
    No donkeys here
    but one ingredient that you need to be very careful with
    any guesses?

• edited September 2014
    And finally, before we start September, a nasty bit of bad blood in the Chat box last night, very unusual in PLO8.   4 of us left, I have about 5 bigs. HUGE chippe, calls EVERYTHING, & 2 medium stacks. It's all about busting me.   Anyway, I shoved, & Mr Station, the monsta stack, calls, obv.  Tuney was sat behind him, in the BB, with a medium stack, he's locked up, & passing to the near inevitable win.   It was very little for him to also call, but he folded, & got some nasty comments, "passing to your mate I see". He was also urged to call even before the action reached him, "YOU MUST CALL".  That's bang out of order, but anyway..... Thing was, it  WAS a "maths call" for Tuney, but - imo - it was NOT a DYM Bubble call.  Not only could he sensibly fold, but the threat of TREBLING me up was very real - I'd go 2nd in chips with a 3-xUp. Don't want to sound conceited, but trebling me up on the Bubble is rarely wise.   Anyway, he stood accused of "colluding with his friend". Marv.  I've played over 5,000 of these things, the vast majority against people I would call "friends" in the loosest sense, & I'm pretty sure every single one would say nobody colludes in these things, it'd stick out a mile if they did. Anyway, Tuney is a decent human being, just plays for fun, & I'm sure he must have been pretty upset by it all. Sorry 'bout that Tuney. Doubt he's ever been accused of cheating before, poor lad.    
    Posted by Tikay10

The 'Maths' is very different for DYMs, why woud you get involved when passing may well mean you 'win'. I expect for a DYM it wasn't a Maths call.

• edited September 2014
    Played a weird one, & on the VERY first hand, geezer busts 2 players, & trebles up. Nice. After a few levels, it became apparent that one player was AWAY.  Go looking for them on other Tables, no sign. (It was "legassie"). So here we have one of those delicate spots. We are all in the money if legassie fails to show up, & we don't get involved with each other...... And soon, a pattern emerged. Everyone folds to the player in the SB to legassie's BB, who then pots it. You get the drift.   Makes me feel a tad uncomfortable, in truth, but the key thing was not a soul said a single word in the chat box. Once they do, of course, we are getting into the murky grey areas of collusion. But nothing was said, & we all knew what each other was thinking. I passed Aces several times, in fact.   Awkward. What would YOU do in that spot? Anyway, legassie never showed up, & so you know how it ended.  Oddly..... Later the same evening, it hapened AGAIN, but this time legassie was present, & another player was AWAY.  What goes round comes round, I guess.   All a bit uncomfortable, but there was no messing about, just 3 players acting, it seems to me, sensibly. You could of course take a different view - that we owe it to the AWAY player to try & bust each other. An equally valid view. Not a big deal I suppose, but it deffo left me feeling a bit uncomfy.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Unless it's a friend i'm doing what you all did and just waiting for the away player to chip down and taking their blinds. Just the nature of the game, if I get disco'd I know there will be a free for all on my chips, just the way it is.
  • edited September 2014
    You're not playing tonight?!!

Such a shame, you're gonna miss a special treat, i got cakes, party streamers and funny little hats for all the regular ploppers, and later everyone will sing a liitle song to me i'm sure, goes something like....happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me...ah well maybe next year

Mother (aka 9542)

x
  • edited September 2014

Mother's BIRTHDAY?

Wowzer, have a lovely evening.

Will try & give you a shout out on the Show.

Sorry, can't play tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow.

9-5-4-2, outrageous stuff. You never learned that from me.

Me, I'm Ace Ace baby....

• edited September 2014
    Oh what a night you missed!!

We played. pass the parcel, musical chairs,  drank dandelion and burdock ate sausages on sticks and maca even passed around the twiglets!!

Thanks for the shout out but I did have to clarify to my friends at my party that i am NOT 65 nor do i come from Burnley!!

Mother

xx
  • edited September 2014
    Oh what a night you missed!! We played. pass the parcel, musical chairs,  drank dandelion and burdock ate sausages on sticks and maca even passed around the twiglets!! Thanks for the shout out but I did have to clarify to my friends at my party that i am NOT  65 nor do i come from Burnley!! Mother xx
    Posted by Amarie
    Ha! I was a buyer until you wrote "Maca passed round the twiglets". Not buying THAT.

You are not 65? I was being, as ever, polite.

Not from Burnley? Burnley, Blackburn, Bury, it's all the same.

See you tonight, don't be late.

• edited September 2014
    And finally, before we start September, a nasty bit of bad blood in the Chat box last night, very unusual in PLO8.   4 of us left, I have about 5 bigs. HUGE chippe, calls EVERYTHING, & 2 medium stacks. It's all about busting me.   Anyway, I shoved, & Mr Station, the monsta stack, calls, obv.  Tuney was sat behind him, in the BB, with a medium stack, he's locked up, & passing to the near inevitable win.   It was very little for him to also call, but he folded, & got some nasty comments, "passing to your mate I see". He was also urged to call even before the action reached him, "YOU MUST CALL".  That's bang out of order, but anyway..... Thing was, it  WAS a "maths call" for Tuney, but - imo - it was NOT a DYM Bubble call.  Not only could he sensibly fold, but the threat of TREBLING me up was very real - I'd go 2nd in chips with a 3-xUp. Don't want to sound conceited, but trebling me up on the Bubble is rarely wise.   Anyway, he stood accused of "colluding with his friend". Marv.  I've played over 5,000 of these things, the vast majority against people I would call "friends" in the loosest sense, & I'm pretty sure every single one would say nobody colludes in these things, it'd stick out a mile if they did. Anyway, Tuney is a decent human being, just plays for fun, & I'm sure he must have been pretty upset by it all. Sorry 'bout that Tuney. Doubt he's ever been accused of cheating before, poor lad.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sorry Tikay I was away yesterday so unable to reply to this until now. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of the above. It takes a lot more than one idiot to upset me but I was annoyed as other players can see the chat box and may have got the wrong idea, hence my response then and at the next table.

I do not and would not collude and the simple fact that the muppet typed 'YOU MUST CALL' in the chat before I had acted  actually meant that if I called I could have been accused of colluding with him! He was therefore partly hoist by his own petard (lovely saying - haven't a clue what it means really but seems apt).

Anyway onwards an upwards!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sorry Tikay I was away yesterday so unable to reply to this until now. You pretty much hit the nail on the head with all of the above. It takes a lot more than one idiot to upset me but I was annoyed as other players can see the chat box and may have got the wrong idea, hence my response then and at the next table. I do not and would not collude and the simple fact that the muppet typed 'YOU MUST CALL' in the chat before I had acted  actually meant that if I called I could have been accused of colluding with him! He was therefore partly hoist by his own petard (lovely saying - haven't a clue what it means really but seems apt). Anyway onwards an upwards!
    Posted by Enut
    I'm afraid bad losers will stoop to anything, but I felt really bad for you Tuney.

We shared tables with him again last night, & I felt positively uncomfortable, as I felt my plays v you, & yours v me, were being scrutinised!

I generally get a bit of stick from him when I beat him, too, "oh yeah, thats funny, you work for Sky, right" sorta thing. (Last month I earned nearly 1p per game.....).

Just lol at any of the PLO8 crew soft-playing each other, it's ridiculous. We seem to play "harder" against each other than those we don't know so well. MacacGirl spite calls me - SPITE CALLS - with absolute filth. And MOTHER has been revealed now as an at-it-merchant. But the thing is, we all play HARD v each other. That's half the fun.

And yes, saying "YOU MUST CALL" before the action is complete is bang wrong, & he knows that. 

Anyway, lets hope it does not happen again.

• edited September 2014

3rd SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 39

Won 18

Lost 21

£3.30, P 26, W 12, L 4

£5.50, P 12, W 6 L 6

£11, P 1, W 0, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,387.05

Closing Balance = £1,356.25 

Profit/Loss on Night - £30.80

Profit/Loss on Month = £2.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 152

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 304 (= £3.04)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 73

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 39

AUGUST WIN % = 53.42%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.04
  • edited September 2014
    The mystery ingredient by-the-way was Sichuan peppercorns.

Sichuan pepper has a unique aroma and flavour... and creates a tingly numbness in the mouth... "they produce a strange, tingling, buzzing, numbing sensation that is something like... touching the terminals of a nine-volt battery to the tongue... they appear to act on several different kinds of nerve endings at once, induce sensitivity to touch and cold in nerves that are ordinarily nonsensitive, and so perhaps cause a kind of general neurological confusion."

It's an important ingredient in Sichuan cuisine, and helpful in counteracting the impact of all the chili used.

Next time you go out for a Chinese meal make sure you order the Kung Pao chicken done the original Sichuan way including the Sichuan pepper.
  • edited September 2014

Shocking. SHOCKING!

Never won at ANY level. pfft.

Ran slightly bad + play very bad + don't concentrate at all = red numbers.

No more to be said, really. 

LOADS of traffic early doors, & was due to get my 150 Reward Points by 9pm, but the traffic fell off a cliff once the football started. It returned later, of course.

I trapped a guy a treat when I flopped the nut flush, I played it oh-so-slowly, & cleverly induced him to get the lot in on the river, drawing dead. Except it was me drawing dead - he had the straight flush, lol. Could not believe it when the chips went across to him. Yikes.

Great chat box atmo, & Vespa was back amongst us, happy days.

Ger got a Yellow Card, never turned up until after the football, tsk tsk.

Mother was a perfect pain.

Twiglet started a 3 hour discussion on pea fritters. Honestly, I kid you not. Then they all moved on to discussing scampi & chips. Ridiculous. Barely anyone wants to discuss "The UK's 10 favourite Motorway Junctions".

Back tonight, with no chat, I really have to concentrate better tonight.     

• edited September 2014
    You will chat.
    I demand as much.
    I have some wonderful topics already for debate, worthy of inclusion within Question Time.

Can dogs smile?
    Monkey Nuts vs Dry Roasted Peanuts.
    Why can't you get Turkey eggs in supermarkets?
    Who picks up a guide dog pooh?
    How old are your oldest pair of socks?
    Why do Scottish people refer to a swede, as a turnip? Furthermore, what do they call a turnip?
  • edited September 2014
    Haha...I didnt actually watch the football I stayed on late in work! Busy times September with next years planning!

Anyhow your probably sick of the sight of me!

Ger
  • edited September 2014
    Barely anyone wants to discuss "The UK's 10 favourite Motorway Junctions".   Back tonight, with no chat, I really have to concentrate better tonight.        
    Posted by Tikay10
    Who has 10 favourite Junctions? Once you get past the Almondsbury Interchange they're all, well, just there.

Worst 10 motorway junctions, I could start a thread on that - in fact the very next junction down from Almondsbury might well be top of the list.
  • edited September 2014
    You will chat. I demand as much. I have some wonderful topics already for debate, worthy of inclusion within Question Time. Can dogs smile? Monkey Nuts vs Dry Roasted Peanuts. Why can't you get Turkey eggs in supermarkets? Who picks up a guide dog pooh? How old are your oldest pair of socks? Why do Scottish people refer to a swede, as a turnip? Furthermore, what do they call a turnip?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    1. Yes,  BUT it looks like they are "snarling/baring their teeth" without making a noise.
    2. No-one -they are "exempt"
    3. Neeps

NEXT!!
  • edited September 2014
    You will chat. I demand as much. I have some wonderful topics already for debate, worthy of inclusion within Question Time. Can dogs smile? Monkey Nuts vs Dry Roasted Peanuts. Why can't you get Turkey eggs in supermarkets? Who picks up a guide dog pooh? How old are your oldest pair of socks? Why do Scottish people refer to a swede, as a turnip? Furthermore, what do they call a turnip?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Ha! Great stuff.

I could not chat much last night as early on I had severe connection problems, & then I had some other "Community business" to sort whilst trying to play my DYM's.
  • edited September 2014

4th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 37

Won 20

Lost 17

£3.30, P 23, W 14, L 9

£5.50, P 10, W 3 L 7

£11, P 4, W 3, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,356.25

Closing Balance = £1,355.55

Profit/Loss on Night - £0.90

Profit/Loss on Month = £3.50

REWARD POINTS on night = 155

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 459 (= £4.59)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 110

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 59

AUGUST WIN % = 53.64%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.03
  • edited September 2014

Yikes.

Thought I had booked a decent winning session, but I lost the last game of the night, an £11er, for a £20 swing the wrong way & that ruined the numbers, or seemed to. In truth, of course, whether it was the first or last game is irrelevant. A dubious play by me caused the exit, too, 2 of us were short of chips, my shove with poo was a bit premature, & I paid the bill. 

The real problem - yet again - was the £5ers. Played 10, won 3. Terrible.

Anyway, I suppose I should be grateful I only lost a quid on the night, thanks largely to winning 3 from 4 @ £11.

Concentration was a major issue last night, all sorts of stuff was going off, which I needed to deal with.

I lost connection early evening, too, whilst playing 5 Tables, but managed to get back & rescue one of them, but losing 4 of the first 5 due to disconnection did not help I guess. 

Need to do a lot better than this.

• edited September 2014

Paul Not The Poker Player Jackson now has a new nick.

Paul With A Pimple On His Forehead Jackson it is.
  • edited September 2014

In case you missed it, I saw this on last night's Show Thread.

"...hi anna, i gave up with the jackpot updates a month ago and wrote a note on the forum thread that night. i was continally being flamed for the updates or getting abuse in the chat box (it happened again even today by a well known reg for the fourth time too). it is not worth it. regards rob
    Posted by aussie09....."

How sad is that?

It's amazing how much negativity & damage a small handful of trolls & idiots can wreak.