You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Paul Not The Poker Player Jackson now has a new nick. Paul With A Pimple On His Forehead Jackson it is.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Sigh 

Spose it's better than 

Paul 'The Spot' Jackson
  • edited September 2014
    In case you missed it, I saw this on last night's Show Thread. "...hi anna, i gave up with the jackpot updates a month ago and wrote a note on the forum thread that night. i was continally being flamed for the updates or getting abuse in the chat box (it happened again even today by a well known reg for the fourth time too). it is not worth it. regards rob Posted by aussie09....." How sad is that? It's amazing how much negativity & damage a small handful of trolls & idiots can wreak.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's so frustrating.
    I used to love that thread. Regulary I'd finish a session and have a look at Aussies updates to see if anyone I knew was still going strong, then go and rail.

I really hope that he realises how much that most people appreciated it that he did them.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sigh  Spose it's better than  Paul 'The Spot' Jackson
    Posted by Jac35
    Like that.

BOOKED

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's so frustrating. I used to love that thread. Regulary I'd finish a session and have a look at Aussies updates to see if anyone I knew was still going strong, then go and rail. I really hope that he realises how much that most people appreciated it that he did them.
    Posted by Jac35
    VERY frustrating & very sad.

I'm sure he does realise how much they were appreciated, but I don't blame him for quitting, trolls & the like are similar to toothache, they just nag away.
  • edited September 2014
    guess no-one interested in Chinese food on here
    suppose I need to grow a spot to get some conversation

& yes, very sad about the aussie09 trolls
  • edited September 2014
    In case you missed it, I saw this on last night's Show Thread. "...hi anna, i gave up with the jackpot updates a month ago and wrote a note on the forum thread that night. i was continally being flamed for the updates or getting abuse in the chat box (it happened again even today by a well known reg for the fourth time too). it is not worth it. regards rob Posted by aussie09....." How sad is that? It's amazing how much negativity & damage a small handful of trolls & idiots can wreak.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I saw his original comment and noted his lack of updates from then on, but I had no idea why (just thought he couldn't invest the time any longer).

He's giving useful information to a lot of people but if it doesn't interest you then fair enough you don't have to pay attention. But to actually troll someone for doing that? I've seen a lot of trolling on the web in my time for many reasons, but WTF sort of brain signals fire off to make someone attack a person for gathering that information and sharing it? It is beyond my comprehension.

• edited September 2014
    guess no-one interested in Chinese food on here suppose I need to grow a spot to get some conversation & yes, very sad about the aussie09 trolls
    Posted by GELDY
    Oops, sorry Gelders, I did read the two Posts, but plum forgot to reply.

I'm afraid I'm a bit funny with "foreign food". I could never go to China, or Thailand, or such places as I can''t face the food.

If I go to a Chinese Restaurant in the UK, as I am "forced to" sometimes by my young lady, I have plain boiled rice or chips & egg omelette. Thats as "foreign" as I get.

I visited St Petersburg in Russia a few years ago, I think it is, by far, the finest City in the world, bar none, (& I've travelled quite extensively in my life), & I loved it. But I could not face the food, so every single day I used to go eat at this place, on Nevsky Prospect......a KFC!

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oops, sorry Gelders, I did read the two Posts, but plum forgot to reply.   I'm afraid I'm a bit funny with "foreign food". I could never go to China, or Thailand, or such places as I can''t face the food.   If I go to a Chinese Restaurant in the UK, as I am "forced to" sometimes by my young lady, I have plain boiled rice or chips & egg omelette. Thats as "foreign" as I get. I visited St Petersburg in Russia a few years ago, I think it is, by far, the finest City in the world, bar none, (& I've travelled quite extensively in my life), & I loved it. But I could not face the food, so every single day I used to go eat at this place, on Nevsky Prospect......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Funny you should say that. One of my best mates regularly visits Thailand and he is SUPER fussy food wise. He goes all that way across the world and still manages to live off British fry-ups for breakfast and Cottage Pie for dinner!

• edited September 2014
     Reading the paper this morning it struck me how much you resemble Jack Straw, I have obviously 'slimmed' you picture down somewhat to heighten the effect......;-) 
        DDDAJAJ
  • edited September 2014
    Yikes. Thought I had booked a decent winning session, but I lost the last game of the night, an £11er, for a £20 swing the wrong way & that ruined the numbers, or seemed to. In truth, of course, whether it was the first or last game is irrelevant. A dubious play by me caused the exit, too, 2 of us were short of chips, my shove with poo was a bit premature, & I paid the bill.  The real problem - yet again - was the £5ers. Played 10, won 3. Terrible.   Anyway, I suppose I should be grateful I only lost a quid on the night, thanks largely to winning 3 from 4 @ £11. Concentration was a major issue last night, all sorts of stuff was going off, which I needed to deal with. I lost connection early evening, too, whilst playing 5 Tables, but managed to get back & rescue one of them, but losing 4 of the first 5 due to disconnection did not help I guess.  Need to do a lot better than this.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I must admit that last call on that last game was a crying call as I was sure you would have me. I didn't even look lol
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oops, sorry Gelders, I did read the two Posts, but plum forgot to reply.   I'm afraid I'm a bit funny with "foreign food". I could never go to China, or Thailand, or such places as I can''t face the food.   If I go to a Chinese Restaurant in the UK, as I am "forced to" sometimes by my young lady, I have plain boiled rice or chips & egg omelette. Thats as "foreign" as I get. I visited St Petersburg in Russia a few years ago, I think it is, by far, the finest City in the world, bar none, (& I've travelled quite extensively in my life), & I loved it. But I could not face the food, so every single day I used to go eat at this place, on Nevsky Prospect......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    sorry to hear that Tikay
    but you can still travel and eat very well these days - here is the breakdown on the 12,419 restaurants in Shanghai according to Tripadvisor, and I can assure you the quality of many of the European restaurants is very high, although I haven't tried the British ones (& don't worry, most of the ingredients in the good western restaurants are imported)

African (2)
    American (82)
    Asian (872)
    Bakery (268)
    Barbecue (306)
    British (7)
    Café (735)
    Cajun & Creole
    Caribbean (1)
    Chinese (5,288)
    Continental (8)
    Delicatessen (12)
    Dessert (184)
    Eastern European (5)
    European (51)
    French (104)
    Fusion (65)
    German (13)
    Global/International (101)
    Greek (6)
    Indian (33)
    Irish (3)
    Italian (213)
    Japanese (1,055)
    Mediterranean (28)
    Mexican/Southwestern (17)
    Middle Eastern (3)
    Pizza (209)
    Pub (158)
    Seafood (209)
    Soups (3)
    South American (12)
    Spanish (45)
    Steakhouse (76)
    Sushi (143)
    Thai (84)
    Vegetarian (51)
    Vietnamese (34)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : sorry to hear that Tikay but you can still travel and eat very well these days - here is the breakdown on the 12,419 restaurants in Shanghai according to Tripadvisor, and I can assure you the quality of many of the European restaurants is very high, although I haven't tried the British ones (& don't worry, most of the ingredients in the good western restaurants are imported) African (2) American (82) Asian (872) Bakery (268) Barbecue (306) British (7) Café (735) Cajun & Creole Caribbean (1) Chinese (5,288) Continental (8) Delicatessen (12) Dessert (184) Eastern European (5) European (51) French (104) Fusion (65) German (13) Global/International (101) Greek (6) Indian (33) Irish (3) Italian (213) Japanese (1,055) Mediterranean (28) Mexican/Southwestern (17) Middle Eastern (3) Pizza (209) Pub (158) Seafood (209) Soups (3) South American (12) Spanish (45) Steakhouse (76) Sushi (143) Thai (84) Vegetarian (51) Vietnamese (34)
    Posted by GELDY
    Just SEVEN British eateries?!

But I'm OK with American food, mostly, so there are 82 of them.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I must admit that last call on that last game was a crying call as I was sure you would have me. I didn't even look lol
    Posted by Hotwheals
    It was a HORRIBLE shove, & a good call but I had 2.5 Bigs, with the BB on me next hand, so I was sort of between a rock & a hard place. Usually, you'd be behind there.....;)

Was a grand game though, terrific. The three cashers were you, Chillie & D96NWE, well done all.

I was pretty cross with myself afterwards, but that's just hindsight really. 75% of my late stage shoves don't get a call, so mostly I get it through & don't give it a second thought, it only hurts when it goes wrong.

What annoyed me is that I have a VERY specific criteria for my "late stage shove hands", they MUST contain certain combos of cards, & that one did not, it needed everyone to fold. 

PLO8 being what it is, the flop was decisive, I was drawing dead, not even a sweat, lol. 

Good to see more £11 games going though, & you have helped with that, once 1 or 2 Regisrter, they soon fill, & 4 ran last night. Friday tonight, so we might get more.....

• edited September 2014
    Enjoyed bubbling you in one of the games last night. :-)
  • edited September 2014
    Enjoyed bubbling you in one of the games last night. :-)
    Posted by Matt237
    Good for you!

Your comments in the chat box were noted, too. ;)

Best regards,
    Donkey/Nutter.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It was a HORRIBLE shove, & a good call but I had 2.5 Bigs, with the BB on me next hand, so I was sort of between a rock & a hard place. Usually, you'd be behind there.....;) Was a grand game though, terrific. The three cashers were you, Chillie & D96NWE, well done all. I was pretty cross with myself afterwards, but that's just hindsight really. 75% of my late stage shoves don't get a call, so mostly I get it through & don't give it a second thought, it only hurts when it goes wrong.   What annoyed me is that I have a VERY specific criteria for my "late stage shove hands", they MUST contain certain combos of cards, & that one did not, it needed everyone to fold.  PLO8 being what it is, the flop was decisive, I was drawing dead, not even a sweat, lol.  Good to see more £11 games going though, & you have helped with that, once 1 or 2 Regisrter, they soon fill, & 4 ran last night. Friday tonight, so we might get more.....   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes will try get some more going tonight doing an afternoon on the heads up ho lo sit & Gos then will play some dyms from 8:30 onwards. :) let's keep the bandwagon rolling :)
  • edited September 2014
    I'll always play the £11 games if help needed to fill them. If someone gives me a nod I'll be in.
    I tend to load up with 4 £3 games and auto click new game each time the game is over, so rarely see the lobby you see.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Good for you! Your comments in the chat box were noted, too. ;) Best regards, Donkey/Nutter.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I only made 1 comment!

Just out of interest was getting in KK53 DS pre a mistake playing 4bb effective vs you blind on blind? Figured its ahead of your perceived range in that situation, or am I using too many holdem habits thinking you are using fold equity to steal blinds because we were both short?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I only made 1 comment! Just out of interest was getting in KK53 DS pre a mistake playing 4bb effective vs you blind on blind? Figured its ahead of your perceived range in that situation, or am I using too many holdem habits thinking you are using fold equity to steal blinds because we were both short?
    Posted by Matt237
    3 comments actually, in two separate games. ;)

"Donkey" (after I re-potted your UTG open - I had good aces).

"Why do I always get sat next to the table nutter"

Sigh, tikay has position on me.
    (You were sat to my immediate LEFT in that game).

I assumed they were all intended in good spirit, of course, though I do get some odd comments from time to time.

K-K-5-3? I don't like that hand at all, MUCH prefer a worse high & a better low, & with an Ace. But when short of chips, needs must as the devil drives & all that. I would rather shove with it than call with it, but we have to widen our ranges considerably when we are short of chip things in the DYM's. I don't recall the hand or the play, but it seems standard to me, hard to fold that with 4 Bigs.

Good to see you there, & I hope you enjoyed it, & will visit us again. I did notice you were very aggro early, & accumulated good stacks, which seemed to work nicely for you. I don't have the "game" to do that, I wish I had,  you'll have to teach me, I'm so bad at aggro early doors. Late on, I'm Aggro 'Arry, of course, pushing folks around with my 3 Bigs.  

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 3 comments actually, in two separate games. ;) "Donkey" (after I re-potted your UTG open - I had good aces). "Why do I always get sat next to the table nutter" Sigh, tikay has position on me. (You were sat to my immediate LEFT in that game).   I assumed they were all intended in good spirit, of course, though I do get some odd comments from time to time. K-K-5-3? I don't like that hand at all, MUCH prefer a worse high & a better low, & with an Ace. But when short of chips, needs must as the devil drives & all that. I would rather shove with it than call with it, but we have to widen our ranges considerably when we are short of chip things in the DYM's. I don't recall the hand or the play, but it seems standard to me, hard to fold that with 4 Bigs.   Good to see you there, & I hope you enjoyed it, & will visit us again. I did notice you were very aggro early, & accumulated good stacks, which seemed to work nicely for you. I don't have the "game" to do that, I wish I had,  you'll have to teach me, I'm so bad at aggro early doors. Late on, I'm Aggro 'Arry, of course, pushing folks around with my 3 Bigs.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I played one game and said at the start - Position on tikay, sigh. :-) Definitely meant in good spirit.

I think it was technically a call but i did move all my chips in first after you had potted on my blind vs blind, think you were never ever folding however. It was quite enjoyable and i'm actually enjoying DYMing more than standard MTTs, so i'll probably return sooner rather than later.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I played one game and said at the start - Position on tikay, sigh. :-) Definitely meant in good spirit. I think it was technically a call but i did move all my chips in first after you had potted on my blind vs blind, think you were never ever folding however. It was quite enjoyable and i'm actually enjoying DYMing more than standard MTTs, so i'll probably return sooner rather than later.
    Posted by Matt237
    Ahh, apologies Matt, you are quite correct. I just checked, & I played another player, same name but with slightly different numbers in 2 games 45 minutes apart. It did seem a bit odd at the time.

No, I was never folding, at that stage, I had no option. Your play (imo) was correct, given the size of the stacks.

Glad you enjoyed the DYM's, hope to see more of you in them.
  • edited September 2014
     Reading the paper this morning it struck me how much you resemble Jack Straw, I have obviously 'slimmed' you picture down somewhat to heighten the effect......;-)      DDDAJAJ
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    "slimmed me down". Err, thank you.....he is a year older than me, too!

I've read his biography actually, "Last Man Standing". 

He has done very well for himself, from humble beginnings in a "broken home" he studied Law, got a Degree, & held a number of senior Government positions, including Chancellor, head of the Foreign Office, & Leader of the House of Commons. In fact his real name is John Whittaker Straw. I love to see people do well for themselves against all odds.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes will try get some more going tonight doing an afternoon on the heads up ho lo sit & Gos then will play some dyms from 8:30 onwards. :) let's keep the bandwagon rolling :)
    Posted by Hotwheals
    Mission accomplished!

Hope you'll be back tonight.
  • edited September 2014
    I'll always play the £11 games if help needed to fill them. If someone gives me a nod I'll be in. I tend to load up with 4 £3 games and auto click new game each time the game is over, so rarely see the lobby you see.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Thanks Twiglet.

I've never used that "Auto-Click" thing, I might try it. I just keep checking the Lobby, and as soon as a game appears, I register. I try to work it so that I never have less than 4 or more than 6 games going at a time, & I'm not sure I could control that if I used "Auto-Click".

I sometimes, inadvertently, end up with 7 or 8 games on the go, & I'm pretty sure my win rate suffers when I do, as I only have a single screen lappie, & it all gets a bit frantic.
  • edited September 2014

5th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 31

Won 19

Lost 12

£3.30, P 14, W 7, L 7

£5.50, P 10, W 7 L 3

£11, P 7, W 5, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,355.55

Closing Balance = £1,389.15

Profit/Loss on Night - £33.50

Profit/Loss on Month = £30.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 162

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 621 (= £6.21)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 141

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 78

AUGUST WIN % = 55.32%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.21
  • edited September 2014
    Good stats on the £11s there :)
  • edited September 2014

Better!

Think I played pretty well, held my concentration well, & probably ran pretty well, too. There is a sort of cause & effect in our minds there, we always THINK we play well when we run well I suppose, or it may even be the other way round.

Anyway, that gives the September numbers a much better look, though it is early days yet.

I play SEVEN @ £11, the most ever. In fact I quit quite early, once I had passed my daily target of 150 Reward Points, but I saw some further games ran @ £11 later. The £11 games make SUCH a difference, & fingers crossed, as the winter approaches, we'll see more of them. I reduced the number of £3 games, too, so I could give better concentration to the £11ers. Won 7/10 in the £5 games, too, which makes a nice change, I have been doing badly in those of late.

The games were very competitive last night, with some really good players on the tables, Hotwheals, JACEON, Geldy, Tuney as well as the regular hot shots.

Tuney ran perfectly AWFUL, ugh. Did nothing wrong, but just kept getting coolered. Feel really bad when this happens to folks we regard as friends, but you can't play any different because of it. Hope he runs better tonight. 

Hotwheals, in the nicest possible way, is a right pain to play when he has position, which he seemed to have most times last night, as he is so aggro. Good fun though.

Think last night was the most competitive night I can recall in a while, actually.

Am back again tonight, then again Sunday & Monday, before an enforced 2 day break due to work & stuff. 

See you later.        
  • edited September 2014

JACEON is a most interesting newcomer, very very aggro, & extremely good, which kind of suits me, as I can employ a much wider range against aggro guys, but the key thing is to isolate them heads up, & so it all tends to go in quite early.

Twice in a row last night, I had the "nut seat" v him - 2 seats to his left, with a station between us. So it would go raise from JACEON, flatted, (always), by the Station, then I could pot it & they'd both be forced to fold. Proper squeeze job. When it works....

Once I potted, JACEON is good enough to know where he is, & of course the Station can't call now. Very rare it works out that nicely. JACEON must have been pretty miffed by the station, as it was messing with his style terribly. 

Sometimes, getting the "nut seat" really is part of run-good.

Great to see guys like JACEON (I assume he is a guy) becoming regulars here, & the more better players there are, the better it is, it's great to test our games against these really god players.   

• edited September 2014
    Good stats on the £11s there :)
    Posted by Matt237
    Thanks Matt, yeah, they made all the difference.

My last 2 games were both @ £11, so my P & L on the night could have gone either way, so it was really important that I concentrated hard in both of them.

In fact I won the last 4 games, £2 @ £11, 1 @ £5 & 1 @ £3. Lose those 4 & I make a loss on the night.

If I could win 5/7 @ £11 every night, I could retire, that'd be £200 per week, & I could sit at home every day playing poker in my jimjams. Ahh, we can but dream.....  

I did not see you last night, were you playing?

• edited September 2014
    When I started playing last night, three had registered already for an £11er so I jumped on board too, later on eon gave me a nudge for another one, so I jumped on that as well. Didn't hear anything else so I don't know if they filled quickly or stalled completely.
    To be honest, if they ran as often as the £3 games, the £11ers would be all I'd play. I can be up to all sorts of shenanigans at the £3 level and if I take a battering, it doesn't really matter to the old BR, with £11 every game, I might be tempted to play a bit more conservatively.
    Might be!

I enjoyed the two £11ers I played last night, was lucky in the first, hotwheals nearly killed me off in the first when he hit his set of fours, but I somehow recovered to cash. Second game was a disaster! Twice I folded good aces post flop & turn. pretty much had to given the board each time. Finally went busto with the "shut my eyes, please don't call my pot raise, but it's not a disaster if you do hand, A246 DS" Obviously did end in a disaster. Love this game!