You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Mornin' Tikay, I trust you'll be attending the big 50th birthday bash today?
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    You'll have to give me another clue......
  • edited September 2014

12th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 34

Won 23

Lost 11

£3.30, P 20, W 13, L 7

£5.50, P 10, W 8 L 2

£11, P 4, W 2, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,375.15

Closing Balance = £1,408.15

Profit/Loss on Night - £33.00

Profit/Loss on Month = £49.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 150

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,421 (= £14.21)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 317

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 183

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 57.72%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.15
  • edited September 2014

Better!

Just ran good, played OK, & concentrated really hard.

Won 67% of my 34 games, & so despite only splitting the £11ers 2-2, ended up with a healthy profit, & all the numbers look better now. Winning 8 from 10 @ £5 obviously helped. 

Managed - for whatr feels like the 17th time - to climb through the £1,400 barrier too. If past experience is a guide, I'll plummet back through it again in the next day or two. Sure as eggs are eggs.

I maybe over-analyse the "bad" nights, but that was my 8th session in September, & I've won the Game Count on 7 of those 8 nights. Just got the buy-in "mix" wrong, or not won enough of them. (55% are needed to break even).

The September game Count % is now 57.7%, which will do me nicely if I can sustain that over the rest of the month. If..... 

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You'll have to give me another clue......
    Posted by Tikay10
    HERE you go :-)
  • edited September 2014

Once again, a whole bunch of new players turned up, which was great to see, some of them, it seems, already read this thread. Feel free to post Lads, we don't bite.

One recent newcomer - who seems very adept at the game already, wrote a PM to me. I won't reveal his name of course, but this PM cheered me up a treat.....

"Hello,Just wanted to let you know that hearing you talking about PLO8 on television, got me interested in the game. After a bit of research online to learn the rules, I have to say that it is without doubt the most enjoyable form of cards that I have ever played. Congratulations on the games growth, and I look forward to playing against you in the future.Good Luck,.....

More & more are realising what fun we have in these. Play sensibly, & it's tough to lose much money, it really is, you are never far behind or in front in PLO8. 

There was one extraordinary £11 game which ended, I think, in Level 3, after one player - a very good player - went abso super-aggro, & just potted everything, awesome to watch, but very scary to play against. I let everyone else take him on, & it was over within 10 minutes!  TY TY Mr Aggro.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : HERE you go :-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    Ooh, how perfectly wonderful!

Happy 50th Forth.
  • edited September 2014

Amidst all the fun, there is some nonsense & twaddle though.

The Chat Log below is only about 20% of one convo, as it began during one game, & continued, as the story tellers variously won or busted, onto the next table, then the next, then the next, zzzzzzz....

It is bad form & a little rude to quote people's convos, so I've removed the names to protect the guilty.

You will note the complete lack of respect towards me. It's an outrage. 

Convo follows. I'll do different colour fonts for the different people involved.  
  • edited September 2014

hey, did you have a nice meal?
    lol
    oooh yeah
    talk us through the menu
    tikay1: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    well, it was a chinese buffet
    20:07tikay1: FML, here we go
    huge selection
    all u can eat
    tikay1: This will take HOURS
    yeah, one of them
    nice
    vey good quality for a buffet thingy
    i usually have hot and sour soup to start

the only thing they do not tend to have is the crispy aromatic duck
    they did here, pancakes etc
    ooooh vnice
    however
    back to starter
    break it down girl
    this might take a while
    20:10tikay1: You don't say?
    no tikay satay
    i thought for a change, i would have the chicken noodle soup
    was good but not brill
    so i left it
    and had a salad
    good decision
    with
    prawns
    the most amazing garlic cucumber

prawn cocktail always a winner
    never had it before
    was awesome
    mussels
    and althouh chinese, they had the sushimi rice things
    is that tikays new nickname
    mussels?
    mussels?
    from ilkeston does not have the van damme ring to it
    anyway back to the starter
    so, lots of seafood
    yum
    tikay1: Yes yes, we don't want to miss a course, do we?
    and i had a side plate of crispy seaweed to go with it
    dont you worry tk
    you could have been there b the time i have finished

(new game starts, new players, but convo continues)

Hi guys gl
    Evening all
    hiya
    gg guys
    hi all gl
    tikay1: Hi Barny, & all
    Friendly table, nice :)
    Most Omaha High/Low tables are friendly.
    Cool don't play much go easy on me!
    20:29tikay1: GL m8
    apart from Macac raises Tikay light of course. Then things get ugly
    tikay1: ;)
    Haha I've read his thread!
    tikay1: Really?
    anyways
    Yeah...it helps me sleep at night...good read!
    anyone have a nice dinner?
    Tikka masala me
    nice, a classic
    i have only told tk about a third of mine
    he cant wait to hear about the rest

Did it involve Twiglets?
    I know he likes his food chat and blobs apparently
    no, unfortuneately
    tikay1: Any chance you could all be QUIET?
    No
    tk never stops blathering about food
    Haha
    cake this
    pie that
    chips
    chips
    Whereas orford never stop blathering, full stop.
    is all we hear
    Hehe
    I used to love a decent portion of chips
    tikay1: CAN YOU ALL PLEASE SHUT UP?
    no
    tikay1: lol
    NO

• edited September 2014
    Sorry I was part of the second convo! Anyways, thought I would give PL08 a go after following this thread for a while and I must say what a friendly bunch of players to play against. I played 4 and won 3, so made a small profit and had fun.....win win. May give it another go tonight. Gl all.
  • edited September 2014
    Sorry I was part of the second convo! Anyways, thought I would give PL08 a go after following this thread for a while and I must say what a friendly bunch of players to play against. I played 4 and won 3, so made a small profit and had fun.....win win. May give it another go tonight. Gl all.
    Posted by Snuffer
    Ha!

Yes, you WERE part of the convo. As in "I read this thread at nights, it helps me go to sleep".......

Marv.

Welcome aboard snuffer, was good to chat last night, 3 wins out of 4 AND you had fun? Can't be bad, can it?

If you have any PLO8 questions, fire away.

Sorry about all that twaddle in the chat box last night from you know who & her mates. I have to endure that every night.

• edited September 2014
    Grabs bag of Twiglets and settles down to read chat log...........

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : HERE you go :-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk

Top quality pair of Bridges, I was born in Queensferry, woke up to them every morning. 

Interestingly 125,000 cubic metres of concrete was used in its construction.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Top quality pair of Bridges, I was born in Queensferry, woke up to them every morning.  Interestingly 125,000 cubic metres of concrete was used in its construction.
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Now that IS interesting.

Take THAT Twiglet Lady with all yer food twaddle.

I had "afternoon Tea" at Queensferry, in one of those lovely litle cafe's that front the river a couple of years ago. All those bridges. Proper bridge heaven that.
  • edited September 2014
    Twaddle?
    TWADDLE?

I will be mostly twaddle free in the chat-box today.  I have been challenged to play properly (which is pretty much impossible for me on a Fri-Sat as things so crazy and I get caught up in it all) for the next 48 hours. If I equal or better my usual ROI by close of play Sunday, I choose the next holiday, If I do my usual and lose all weekend, then the old man chooses. So, it's either a week in Rome or a week in Spain watching Mr Mac trying to eat and drink his own body weight daily with fry-ups and lager. 
    First game about to start, I'll give myself until 7PM before I snap and start the nonsense!
  • edited September 2014
  • edited September 2014
    Twaddle? TWADDLE? I will be mostly twaddle free in the chat-box today.  I have been challenged to play properly (which is pretty much impossible for me on a Fri-Sat as things so crazy and I get caught up in it all) for the next 48 hours. If I equal or better my usual ROI by close of play Sunday, I choose the next holiday, If I do my usual and lose all weekend, then the old man chooses. So, it's either a week in Rome or a week in Spain watching Mr Mac trying to eat and drink his own body weight daily with fry-ups and lager.  First game about to start, I'll give myself until 7PM before I snap and start the nonsense!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I RAISE.

If any spots the usual Macac twaddle in the chat box this weekend, just let me know, right?

The woman can't help herself. That Nick bloke is just as bad, he egged her on.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : your turn I seem to remember winning every big pot i played vs Teeks last night, most of which he potted first, as i was always to his left. Didn't see whether i was being lucky or good (too many tables for that), but i'm sure i wasn't respecting his raises as much as he'd like me to, but my hands definitely weren't full of spanners! they weren't were they Teeks? no, i'm sure they weren't that imaginative - optimistic maybe but imaginative, no.
    Posted by GELDY
    I'd say optimistic Gelders. ;)

Thing was, there had been a raise in front of me, & THEN I re-potted. Everyone knows my range there & runs for cover to watch the ensuing carnage one way or another. SOMEONE is going bust here, sorta thing.

And then you re-potted me. I nearly fainted.

It all worked out well in the end. You got the lot. ;)

Honestly, I love this game.

See you later.

• edited September 2014
    Egged her on, Egged her on, Now who can't stop talking about food Tikay!!!!
    As you have started the conversation, we will  have to discuss, at the soonest possible moment, the many different ways of eating said Eggs. +
    the discussion will have to include types of eggs and will probably cross over to chocolate eggs as well.
    looking forward to our cosy chats later
    Nick
  • edited September 2014
    Egged her on, Egged her on, Now who can't stop talking about food Tikay!!!! As you have started the conversation, we will  have to discuss, at the soonest possible moment, the many different ways of eating said Eggs. + the discussion will have to include types of eggs and will probably cross over to chocolate eggs as well. looking forward to our cosy chats later Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Tonight is going to be a...

Twaddle Free Zone
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I think you might be referring to when I went a little bit berserk! I went into the game with a plan of being aggro but maybe not that much.  You say it was scary to play against but it was also scary to play like it - to begin with anyway - but then it became addictive. Was that also the game when - I raised against a limper and you 3 bet from the blinds, I of course put you on a steal knowing that you would think I would raise with anything so 4 bet you at which point you went all-in - knew I was in trouble but in for a penny in for a pound - somehow I managed to split the pot - phew!  On this rare occasion I didn't have a hand when I raised. I've tasted hyper-aggro and I don't know if I can turn back - so everyone watch out!  
    Posted by JACEON
    Ha!

One & the same, one & the same.

It was AWESOME.

It was an £11er, so I had to clench the oild botty for a bity, & once we choppped it up, I was really rather relieved.

As it happened, an hour warlier, I had busted your aces horribly, & left you with 2 Bigs. Three hands of berserk-ness later you were chippy!

I think "adrenelin surge" takes us oveer sometimes, & we just can't stop pressing the old pot button. I scare the life out of myself when I do it, but I can't help myself.

I'll steer well clear of you tonight, I'm a path of least resistance guy, me.

See you later.  

• edited September 2014
    You cut off that chat log just as it was getting interesting, denying the community all the talk about pies.
  • edited September 2014
    You cut off that chat log just as it was getting interesting, denying the community all the talk about pies.
    Posted by FCHD
    Not sure about "interesting".

It went on for FOUR more games, pies, pies, pies this, pies that, pies the other.

• edited September 2014

13th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 50

Won 23

Lost 27

£3.30, P 20, W 9, L 11

£5.50, P 21, W 10 L 11

£11, P 9, W 4, L 5

Opening Balance - £1,408.15

Closing Balance = £1,361.65

Profit/Loss on Night - £46.50

Profit/Loss on Month = £2.50

REWARD POINTS on night = 250

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,671 (= £16.71)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 367

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 206

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 56.13%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.01
  • edited September 2014
    I'll never forget the advice my dad gave me about poker...
  • edited September 2014

Marv.

Well I enjoyed my brief foray into the £1,400+ department, which lasted exactly one day.

I was at least consistent last night - I lost at £3, £5 & £11.

Just one of those nights, the harder I tried, the worse it got.

Some run bad, sure, but my timing was spectacular all evening. When one of the Team Aggro boys raises, hands like A-K-2-4 are exactly what I want & I get it in pdq, but they kept turning up with the Aces last night, it was incred.

Think I knew things would be bad when I got a full stack in pre with the Aces & my man turned up with 8-7-3-3 & got there.

At one stage I was £95 in the hole, so I suppose a £46 loss was really quite a result.

An amazing amount of traffic last night, & at mid stage, I found I had way too many going, 6 is easy peasy comfort zone, but 9 is way too many for me & I got in a bit of a mess. There were so many games going that at mid stage, I stopped regging for £3ers & just played £5 & £11. I really should have done that earlier, as during the 15-30 game stage, I won exactly 3 games.....

Yeah yeah, variance & all that, but I ought to do better over 50 games.

So, back to £1,365. I feel I know the area well. 

Amazing how one night can mess the numbers up so totally. 

Back tonight, revenge mission.

• edited September 2014

In answer to all the helpful prompts & questions as to my current state of bankroll becalmedness....

I honestly don't know the answer, I suspect it is a combo of various things.

Maybe I was running good earlier? I suspect not though, 4,000 games is a decent sample size.

Has the general standard of play improved? Yes yes yes, so many better players are here now, but that's a good thing.

Am I making fundamental errors? Possibly, but I can't see what they are, technically I think I'm playing OK. Team Aggro have definitely changed the dynamic, but I think I know how to combat that.

What did I "tweak" a few months ago? Can't remember now, I tweak stuff all the time. It's a bit like a golf swing, we change one thing for the better, maybe our grip, but that causes something else to move, our stance or whatever. It never ends, this fiddling with the way we play.

Anyway, I'll keep twiddling & tweaking, fiffing & faffing.

It's a proper challenge this, really frustrating at times, but wonderfully satisfying.

LOADS of new players last night. Come the winter it will be awesome.  
  • edited September 2014

Quick shout out for JACEON, who looked to be having a worse time than me last night. I don't actually recall seeing him win a single game, he ran awful, really awful.

Hope you run better tonight mate.
  • edited September 2014

"What did I "tweak" a few months ago? Can't remember now"

Hand ranges when you're following a pot raise.

• edited September 2014
    "What did I "tweak" a few months ago? Can't remember now" Hand ranges when you're following a pot raise.  
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Ahh yes, so I did. Think I've tweaked them 97 times since then.....