You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    When I started playing last night, three had registered already for an £11er so I jumped on board too, later on eon gave me a nudge for another one, so I jumped on that as well. Didn't hear anything else so I don't know if they filled quickly or stalled completely. To be honest, if they ran as often as the £3 games, the £11ers would be all I'd play. I can be up to all sorts of shenanigans at the £3 level and if I take a battering, it doesn't really matter to the old BR, with £11 every game, I might be tempted to play a bit more conservatively. Might be! I enjoyed the two £11ers I played last night, was lucky in the first, hotwheals nearly killed me off in the first when he hit his set of fours, but I somehow recovered to cash. Second game was a disaster! Twice I folded good aces post flop & turn. pretty much had to given the board each time. Finally went busto with the "shut my eyes, please don't call my pot raise, but it's not a disaster if you do hand, A246 DS" Obviously did end in a disaster. Love this game!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Same here, I treat them much more seriously, & they are far more "competitive".

I saw Eon nudge you, so knew that one would start pretty quickly.

Fingers crossed they run again tonight. Eon will always play them, he registers for them every night, as will hotwheals when he is around, & a few others such as MOTHER, Geldy, Nomadicus, Yorkie, Tuney & JACEON. Some DYM players cba with £3 & £5 games, but when they see £11 games going they get interested.

• edited September 2014

One chap who sometimes joins us is "tomgoodun".

If you have played against him, you know what a top bloke & proper gent he is.

Anyway, thanks to Matt237, I saw a thread of his today, & I hope you will take a moment or two to read it please, it is
    HERE 

• edited September 2014
    Having made back my losses from earlier in the week, yesterday was a real kick in the teeth. Never before has this happened to me, I lost every single game I played. Two during the day at £3.30 four  at £5.50 and one at £11.00. 
    Has anyone else ever had that kind of run? A couple were standard lost flips three were just spiteful by the poker gods and one was just plain frustration by me. I am sure I had steam coming out of my ears last night, and if I had a cat the R.S.P.C.A would have been in business but today is another day and as MacArthur once said I shall return.
    Nick 
  • edited September 2014
    Don't be daft nic, it's easy to lose that many. I'd estimate that it happens to everyone at one time or another.
    It's why personally I don't get all giddy when I win 8 or 9 on the trot, I am just as likely to lose the next 8 or 9.
  • edited September 2014
    Having made back my losses from earlier in the week, yesterday was a real kick in the teeth. Never before has this happened to me, I lost every single game I played. Two during the day at £3.30 four  at £5.50 and one at £11.00.  Has anyone else ever had that kind of run? A couple were standard lost flips three were just spiteful by the poker gods and one was just plain frustration by me. I am sure I had steam coming out of my ears last night, and if I had a cat the R.S.P.C.A would have been in business but today is another day and as MacArthur once said I shall return. Nick 
    Posted by pompeynic
    Ugh.

Yes, VERY painful, on the bankroll and the ego, but it happens to all of us.

Your game is solid, you have all the fundamentald spot on, you'll bounce back.

Vespa had a similar run a while back, but then......well, he ended up with his head supported by a scaffold.
  • edited September 2014
    Having made back my losses from earlier in the week, yesterday was a real kick in the teeth. Never before has this happened to me, I lost every single game I played. Two during the day at £3.30 four  at £5.50 and one at £11.00.  Has anyone else ever had that kind of run? A couple were standard lost flips three were just spiteful by the poker gods and one was just plain frustration by me. I am sure I had steam coming out of my ears last night, and if I had a cat the R.S.P.C.A would have been in business but today is another day and as MacArthur once said I shall return. Nick 
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick
    Yep as TK said, i had a really,really bad time in July and start of August.
    Couldn't win a sausage.
    Probably lost about a third of my modest BR.
    Was tempted to reload , but didn't.
    Just kept plugging away, doing the right things.
    It'll turn around ................. eventually!
    GL
    Mick

PS
    TK - how dare you insinuate i would raise you with Spanners ! :-)
  • edited September 2014
    One chap who sometimes joins us is "tomgoodun". If you have played against him, you know what a top bloke & proper gent he is. Anyway, thanks to Matt237, I saw a thread of his today, & I hope you will take a moment or two to read it please, it is HERE    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Lovely to see a few of you Posting on that thread, it will mean a great deal to Tom.

As a gentle nudge to others, it is
    HERE
  • edited September 2014

pleased to see your bounceback Tikay, and did I detect a little more aggro in your game against me?

I do enjoy these PLO8 games even if they are dyms, and part of that is definitely the community spirit as shown here and in the chatbox. not sure that I should play a PLO mtt at the same time again though. I kept catching myself checking for the low and wanting to fold 89TJ in the Omaha mtt, and having to focus to get over that, which meant I wasn't concentrating on the PLO8. still managed a cash (3/20) in the Omaha and 50/50 in the dyms, but probably more through luck than judgement.

I can play NLHE mtts & sats at the same time as PLO8 dyms no trouble, but not it would seem PLO.

• edited September 2014
    Better! Think I played pretty well, held my concentration well, & probably ran pretty well, too. There is a sort of cause & effect in our minds there, we always THINK we play well when we run well I suppose, or it may even be the other way round. Anyway, that gives the September numbers a much better look, though it is early days yet. I play SEVEN @ £11, the most ever. In fact I quit quite early, once I had passed my daily target of 150 Reward Points, but I saw some further games ran @ £11 later. The £11 games make SUCH a difference, & fingers crossed, as the winter approaches, we'll see more of them. I reduced the number of £3 games, too, so I could give better concentration to the £11ers. Won 7/10 in the £5 games, too, which makes a nice change, I have been doing badly in those of late. The games were very competitive last night, with some really good players on the tables, Hotwheals, JACEON, Geldy, Tuney as well as the regular hot shots. Tuney ran perfectly AWFUL, ugh. Did nothing wrong, but just kept getting coolered. Feel really bad when this happens to folks we regard as friends, but you can't play any different because of it. Hope he runs better tonight.  Hotwheals, in the nicest possible way, is a right pain to play when he has position, which he seemed to have most times last night, as he is so aggro. Good fun though. Think last night was the most competitive night I can recall in a while, actually.   Am back again tonight, then again Sunday & Monday, before an enforced 2 day break due to work & stuff.  See you later.        
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for that Tikay, I think I started by winning a 5.50 and an 11 and then lost every other one I played - and most of them were 11's. I think I played some badly but it didn't help that I couldn't win a hand when called!

The evening started badly in the main event with someone going all in on me when I had the nut flush on the flop and he had Q2 for bottom pair and a useless Q high flush draw. Next two cards were Q's! I had a number of bad beats (as we all do) yesterday evening and some were quite cruel (KK v 55 AIP pre and the first card on the flop is a 5 but what do you expect from Ben Nuttal?) I did however manage to final table the mini (finished 5th out of 550ish) to at least recouped my losses on the Omaha HL tables. The guy that won the Mini just ran like God all game, I saw him play 92 and 72 when in the money and both hands he ended up with a FH! My exit hand was against him (obviously) when I raised pre flop with a good ace, he called and the flop came three spades, happy days as I had As. Anyway I bet, he min raised and then I shoved thinking I could push him off and had the nut flush draw if he called. He tanked, for quite some time, then called with the flopped Q high flush!   Oops.

Anyway as I finished at about 12.30 this morning I am banned from a long session this evening but may try and squeak a couple in early evening after some tennis.

Run well and good to see you banking a good profit at my expense!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks for that Tikay, I think I started by winning a 5.50 and an 11 and then lost every other one I played - and most of them were 11's. I think I played some badly but it didn't help that I couldn't win a hand when called! The evening started badly in the main event with someone going all in on me when I had the nut flush on the flop and he had Q2 for bottom pair and a useless Q high flush draw. Next two cards were Q's! I had a number of bad beats (as we all do) yesterday evening and some were quite cruel (KK v 55 AIP pre and the first card on the flop is a 5 but what do you expect from Ben Nuttal?) I did however manage to final table the mini (finished 5th out of 550ish) to at least recouped my losses on the Omaha HL tables. The guy that won the Mini just ran like God all game, I saw him play 92 and 72 when in the money and both hands he ended up with a FH! My exit hand was against him (obviously) when I raised pre flop with a good ace, he called and the flop came three spades, happy days as I had As. Anyway I bet, he min raised and then I shoved thinking I could push him off and had the nut flush draw if he called. He tanked, for quite some time, then called with the flopped Q high flush!   Oops. Anyway as I finished at about 12.30 this morning I am banned from a long session this evening but may try and squeak a couple in early evening after some tennis. Run well and good to see you banking a good profit at my expense!
    Posted by Enut
    You must have somehow found favour with your good lady, as you played plenty last night, & from what I saw, won a lot more than you lost.

Good comeback, wp.

• edited September 2014

Anorther regular on the comeback trail is pompeynic. Nick had a torrid evening on Friday, & started off badly last night, but the last I saw of him, he was winning more than he was losing.
  • edited September 2014

6th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 37

Won 22

Lost 15

£3.30, P 14, W 12, L 2

£5.50, P 18, W 8 L 10

£11, P 5, W 2, L 3

Opening Balance - £1,389.15

Closing Balance = £1,380.95

Profit/Loss on Night - £8.20

Profit/Loss on Month = £21.80

REWARD POINTS on night = 182

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 803 (= £8.03)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 178

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 100

AUGUST WIN % = 56.18%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.12
  • edited September 2014

Lost £8, but it felt like a win.

Had a torrid mid-session, could not do much right & made an unforced error or two, including busting in Orbit One of an £11er. I mean, he could not possibly have that hand......

Turning into the home straight, I was in a big hole, but won the last 5 (£1 x £11, 2 x £5 & 2 x £3) to nearly get out of it, so that was a bit of a result really.

Had some titanic battles with JACEON, the sort of New Kid On The Block. He is very aggro, so I decided to fight fire with fire, & I played back at him a great deal. You can't just call pre-flop raises v this lad, as if you miss the flop he kills you, so when he raises pre, it's re-raise or fold, so some big pots were played much earlier than I'd normally wish. Generally, though, when I played back at him, he let go. Gotta be done. Don't think I flatted him once, it was all or nothing.     

Wonderful atmo again, & tremendous fun all evening. Thoroughly enjoyable.

Another session planned for this evening, probably starting around 5pm, hope to see some of you later.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You must have somehow found favour with your good lady, as you played plenty last night, & from what I saw, won a lot more than you lost. Good comeback, wp.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Tikay you need to up the medication mate, I didn't play last night!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Tikay you need to up the medication mate, I didn't play last night!
    Posted by Enut
    Ha!

Plot.

Lost.

Official.
  • edited September 2014
    pleased to see your bounceback Tikay, and did I detect a little more aggro in your game against me? I do enjoy these PLO8 games even if they are dyms, and part of that is definitely the community spirit as shown here and in the chatbox. not sure that I should play a PLO mtt at the same time again though. I kept catching myself checking for the low and wanting to fold 89TJ in the Omaha mtt, and having to focus to get over that, which meant I wasn't concentrating on the PLO8. still managed a cash (3/20) in the Omaha and 50/50 in the dyms, but probably more through luck than judgement. I can play NLHE mtts & sats at the same time as PLO8 dyms no trouble, but not it would seem PLO.
    Posted by GELDY

More aggro, & earlier per game, against everyone really, not just you Gelders. Just a bit of a tactical tweak, to see if I can find a way to kick on, as my 'roll has been becalmed, neither up now down, for a while now. Once we get beyond Level 3, I never limp, & once we get down to 4 players, I up the aggro dial considerably. 

Well done on cashing in the PLO8 Tourney.

Personally, I can't mix PLO or PLO8 with NLH, NLH seems so "flat" with 2 cards & the lack of creative options it gives us compared to 4 card games.

One thing I could never do is play PLO & PLO8 @ the same time. Totally different mindset required, totally different starting hand criteria. Maybe my mental dexterity is not what it was - well no maybe about it, it must be in decline now, its a fact of life & ageing - but I just can't manage both at the same time. Reckon I could do OK @ PLO DYM's if I had a bash, and I get by @ PLO8, but both at the same time, no way Jose, it is way beyond my abilities.

I enjoy the battles with you, you have become pretty aggro yourself! Good to see.     
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Plot. Lost. Official.
    Posted by Tikay10
    On the plus side, I broke even!
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : On the plus side, I broke even!
    Posted by Enut
    That's the way to look at it.

Love glass half-full types.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Tikay for rating my game so highly and for giving a little bit back about your tactics against me. It's now exactly 2 weeks since I've been playing PLO8 - so a real 'newbie' but I've played NLH for a few years.  I think I've taken to it like a fish to water (I'll leave it to the community to decide if the fish part of the phrase is apt!).  When I started PLO8 93 games ago I didn't have a style in mind and aggression just came naturally - thinking about it more, there are a good percentage of split pots (with the low hand always there to save the day for someone on the river) so the blinds can catch up with everyone before anyone is out - so aggression seems to works well. Currently my cash percentage is 64% so reasonably pleased with that - as anything over 55% should mean I'm making profit (taking into account the table fee).  This may of course just be positive variance and I could be broke in a few days! By the way - I am a guy, or a least I was the last time I looked. I'm sure this will give you more thoughts on how to out-wit me and look I forward to playing with you and community some more. ps - think Sky should show some of our games on TV and get Richard to commentate and see how he struggles to keep up LOL!
    Posted by JACEON
    I'm not normally bothered about aggressive players to be honest but there is something about your game that's really tricky to play against, keep up the good work.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Tikay for rating my game so highly and for giving a little bit back about your tactics against me. It's now exactly 2 weeks since I've been playing PLO8 - so a real 'newbie' but I've played NLH for a few years.  I think I've taken to it like a fish to water (I'll leave it to the community to decide if the fish part of the phrase is apt!).  When I started PLO8 93 games ago I didn't have a style in mind and aggression just came naturally - thinking about it more, there are a good percentage of split pots (with the low hand always there to save the day for someone on the river) so the blinds can catch up with everyone before anyone is out - so aggression seems to works well. Currently my cash percentage is 64% so reasonably pleased with that - as anything over 55% should mean I'm making profit (taking into account the table fee).  This may of course just be positive variance and I could be broke in a few days! By the way - I am a guy, or a least I was the last time I looked. I'm sure this will give you more thoughts on how to out-wit me and look I forward to playing with you and community some more. ps - think Sky should show some of our games on TV and get Richard to commentate and see how he struggles to keep up LOL!
    Posted by JACEON
    Yay, welcome aboard JACEON.

And no, I honestly don't mind people knowing how I play. Anyway, you don't need any help to best me, you are doing a pretty good demolition job on me already. Remember though, when I squeeze, I have it. Sometimes.

I lolled last night when I limped with bad aces UTG (it was Level 2, no way I could raise with them & take on 3 callers), & you raised from the BB, & then I potted it. You snap-folded & remarked that the UTG limp from me looked sussy. ;)   

As hotwheals notes (another VERY good player), something about your game is quite tricky to play against. I try to devise a standard strategy aqainst all the very good players (they get the "YELLOW" colour code), but when you have position on me, you are a proper headache. With position, I can just about cope.

What made you make the switch from NLH to PLO8? And how much more fun is it?

More & more players are making the switch, & loving it. 

Been an absolute joy to lock horns with you,. & I hope we have namy more battles. 

A 64% Game Win % is awesome, abso incred in these games, long may it last.

See you later. Don't forget, you raise, I re-raise, and then you.......fold. Please? 
  • edited September 2014

7th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 34

Won 19

Lost 15

£3.30, P 19, W 10, L 9

£5.50, P 11, W 7 L 4

£11, P 4, W 2, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,380.95

Closing Balance = £1,383.75

Profit/Loss on Night - £2.80

Profit/Loss on Month = £24.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 152

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 955 (= £9.55)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 212

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 119

AUGUST WIN % = 56.13%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.12
  • edited September 2014

Strange session that.

Played 2 @ £11 early doors, lost them both, & as not many of them run, & they "skew" the numbers being worth so much more than the bulk of them, things were looking grim. On top of that, was not feeling so good, or "feeling" the game, so was on the point of drawing stumps early.

But slowly-wowly, it began to turn. Just 2 more ran @ £11 before I quit, & I won both of them, to end up all square on them, & a mini-profit on the night. Phew, result.

The 2 @ £11 I managed to "win" were both absolute corkers, in both cases the line-up included aggro hot-shots hotwhealsJACEON, as well as Tuney who can be a right handful, but has a different style.

I managed a near 2xUp early on in one, when I check-called a lad every street but missed the lot - but to my amazement, the chips slid across to me, & I'd won with A-high! A-high scoops in PLO8, what?!

So, armed with a healthy stack, I decided to fight fire with fire & played really aggro, sort of retaliating first. Makes such a difference to have a big stack, you can really pile the coals on. I only eased off when we were 4 handed, 3 big stacks & a shortie. Makes no sense to take the Big Stacks on when there is a shortie in town. All three of us understood that. Nothing said in the chatbox, but good players know these things & don't mess about. Usually it is me who is the shortie, & it's quite frustrating to realise they are all targeting me & "walking" each other, but that's just good DYM strategy. Anyway, one of the most enjoyable games I've played in a while. A-high, BOOMIO.

Plenty of traffic, though it went very quiet whilst the Football was on, but recovered quickly afterwards.

England play Switzerland tonight, as well as some other more interesting fixtures - Luxembourg v Belarus, San Marino v Lithuania (wowzer), & Montenegro v Moldova - so poker traffic is likely to be a little thinner than normal. I'm trying to average 150 Reward Points every session, so I can top 3,000 points this month & get the 50% Bonus, so fingers crossed there'll be enough traffic tonight. 3,000 Reward Points = £45, that's proper money, & worth going for. 

No poker tomorrow - working - or Wednesday, as I have to go up to Leeds in the morning, & then on to a private engagement in the Midlands in the evening, so looking to have a winning session tonight.

See a few of you later, all being well.
  • edited September 2014
    We want more 'Jaceons' to join us from NLH!
    Jace has proved that it's an easy transition to make from NLH to PLO8.
    I love how you play Jace, I'd much, much rather sit at a table with five aggro players than 5 limpy Larrys.
    I made a decided effort two months ago to play silly aggro sometimes. Sometimes it goes atrociously wrong, sometimes ends in a long streak of wins. My overall stats haven't changed since the 'experiment' started (I have 160ish more games to play this way) so I am even more convinced that aggression is the way ahead.
    This is the third of my 'experiments' within the PLO8 DYMs. When this is completed will start a thread in the strategy section about them all.
    The most startling of these experiments was my pot raise/all-in trick when I was on button or SB, level 6 onwards (with nobody acting before me) and the guys to follow me, were stacked to fold. By that I mean if they folded they still had 1500+ chips. I did the shove thing with anything, for continuity sake of the experiment. Anyone care to guess what percentage of the time I was called/re-raised, pretty much meaning an all-in situation, or us both being pot commited? If you think it was less than 50% of the time, try again!
    Best of luck all, see you laters.
  • edited September 2014
    WARNING!  new 'aggrotikay1' is crushing at a table near you.......

Got my botty spanked good and proper last light (so to speak), as usual great fun.......most entertaining banter on the site lol

I actually went and played a little £3.30 PLO MTT last night as well, made final table out of 30ish then bubbled the cash, enjoyable game though.

Neil
  • edited September 2014
    I also noticed the new aggro tikay at the 11s. I thought it was an imposter a new kid off the block ;)
  • edited September 2014

More aggro, & earlier per game, against everyone really, not just you Gelders. Just a bit of a tactical tweak, to see if I can find a way to kick on, as my 'roll has been becalmed 
    Posted by Tikay10
  • edited September 2014
    interesting question as to why it had become becalmed

1. variance
    2. improving standard of opposition
    3. villains learning how to exploit the old Teeks

although i would hazard that 1 and 2 are playing their part i think that 3 might be the key. ie the strategy you developed is a winning one in a vacuum, but can be exploited once peeps knows how you play

• edited September 2014
    And if that is the case what would be the best tweak? i surmise adding something non tikay like ie extra aggression without necessarily having the nuts might do it.

It certainly has been noted and will make everyone have to think a lot harder about their play against you. 

gl

ps if that doesn't work i guess the next thing to try will be to limp in every hand! 
  • edited September 2014
    Happy birthday Tikay. 50 today.

Hope Sky have bunged you a fiver
  • edited September 2014
    Perhaps TK you are simply the victim of your own success in promoting PL08 and developing a resource bank of great advice on how to play it?

I have been away from said tables for 6 months or so and the standard has much improved.

Back then - even though I was a PL08 newb myself - I came armed with a pretty good grasp of DYM strategy and the fundamentals of PL08 thoroughly researched. I found it relatively easy to win because there were usually 1 or 2 players who were having a try at the game with neither of those and were exploitable. 

I recently dabbled in a couple of PL08 SNGs £3 and £5 and found them stacked with site "names" and the ones I didnt recognise seemed on the whole to know what they were doing. 

On a very short sample I didnt fair too well and only felt I could realistically claim to have been unlucky once.

I really enjoy the game though and the chat at these tables.

I will continue to dabble and try and improve my game - but I will have to watch the bankroll as I dont think I would be playing winning poker at £5. 

Luckily I play for recreation so that wont be an issue as long as I can earn my stake money in more familiar territory.

GL at the tables!