You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited August 2014

Better!

Won @ all three levels, a rare thing indeed, scoopio.

These sessions are a bit like a round of golf, we can always look at them & realise we made a few mistakes.

I played well, concentrated, ran about neutral (LOVE to run neutral), but made THE most ridiculous error on the penultimate game, which was, to compound it, a fiver jobbie.

With one eye on "ooh, a winning session, & now I'm gonna enjoy my dinner", I absent-mindedly potted it with 4 left, & a decent stack, failing to notice there was a player on the Table with just 45 chips @ 300-600! As dumb things go, that was pretty dumb. Now the play every hand guy behind me wants to call my pot bet........

You know how it ended. I'm not sure who was dafter, him or me, (his hand was 3-4-9-9!), but it was my fault for not watching the table properly. I had good aces, but it was the easiest fold ever.    

• edited August 2014

So, since returning post UKPC, that is exactly 150 games in 4 sessions. Profitable? Err, no, I lost a quid overall. In fact, add in Reward Points, & I made about £3. Epic stuff. I absolutely loathe the expression, but thats not exactly crushing.

Even so, I'll settle happily for that, especially after the £35 loss on Tuesday.

4 nights fun, playing a game I love, with good friends, & it cost me nothing? It can't get much better than that really.

I ought to do better, & think I can & should, but best to look on the bright side.

That's me done until Monday now. Then, except Tuesday, I'll be playing every night next week, fingers crossed, so I might just make the month a respectable one yet. I'll settle for a profit, however small.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

• edited August 2014
    Have a good weekend Tony.
    I'm off to the IOW Scooter Rally later today, so won't be back myself until next week.
    Mick
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Have a good weekend Tony. I'm off to the IOW Scooter Rally later today, so won't be back myself until next week. Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Oh my, enjoy!

It'll be a good weekend for Red Funnel then.

I actually tried to book the car on the IOW Ferry earlier this week, thought I'd pop across for the day, but it was fully booked, so I changed plans.

• edited August 2014
    Have a good weekend Tony. I'm off to the IOW Scooter Rally later today, so won't be back myself until next week. Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    I didn't realise that you were a Bournemouth fan Mick.
    What do you think to Miles Addison? 
    We were so sorry to lose him. Another baffling Clough decision. For a season it looked as though he would be a real star. He was injured for some time and struggled to regain his form.

He doesn't seem to play much for you?
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I didn't realise that you were a Bournemouth fan Mick. What do you think to Miles Addison?  We were so sorry to lose him. Another baffling Clough decision. For a season it looked as though he would be a real star. He was injured for some time and struggled to regain his form. He doesn't seem to play much for you?
    Posted by Jac35
    I'm a Villa fan but since i moved down here a few years ago i thought i would go support a local team.
    Only go to a few games a season so really don't know that much about to goings on there.
    As for Miles Addison, haven't seen him play yet, but Eddie is a shrewd manager and has his reasons for buying players.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oh my, enjoy! It'll be a good weekend for Red Funnel then. I actually tried to book the car on the IOW Ferry earlier this week, thought I'd pop across for the day, but it was fully booked, so I changed plans.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    I usually go from Lymington on Wighlink but they were fully booked today so having to go to Southampton.
    I'd swim if i had to.
    A weekend not to miss !
    I feel a hangover coming on :-))
  • edited August 2014
    Spanners are good !
    Sorry nic :-)
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    pompeynic Small blind   200.00 200.00 3344.99
    VespaPX Big blind   400.00 600.00 1928.75
      Your hole cards
    • J
    • A
    • J

hellofishy Fold        
    tikay1 Fold        
    pompeynic Raise   1000.00 1600.00 2344.99
    VespaPX All-in   1928.75 3528.75 0.00
    pompeynic Call   1128.75 4657.50 1216.24
    pompeynic Show
    • A

VespaPX Show
    • J
    • A
    • J

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

VespaPX Win high Four 9s 4657.50   4657.50
      No qualifying low hand        
  • edited August 2014

Incred!

I always consider a 9 in my hand to be a "dead-dangler", no use to man or beast, in fact I bin any hand that contains any two cards between 7 & 10,  but sometimes they can hit spectacularly.

Poor old Nick.

On which note, Nick, aka "pompeynic" has been missing from the tables for a month or so, but returned last night.

It appears he has been very unwell, hospital & all sorts.

Good to see he is on the mend, & back with us.

• edited August 2014
    Right thats me done for the weekend.
    Off to iron my pants.
    See you on the other side
    Over and out
  • edited August 2014

25th August Daily Numbery things

Played 50

Won 32

Lost 18

£3.30, P 36, W 22, L 14

£5.50, P 13, W 10 L 3

£11, P 1, W 0, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,386.23

Closing Balance = £1,410.93

Profit/Loss on Night - £24.70

Profit/Loss on Month = £55.70

REWARD POINTS on night = 183

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,083 (= £10.83)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 296

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 171

AUGUST WIN % = 57.78%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.19
  • edited August 2014

A whopping 50 game session, & apart from losing the night's only £11er, went pretty well, & finished with a right rattle, winning the last 8 games.

Won the Game-Count 32-18, which is a very pleasing 64% strike-rate.

Managed to concentrate really well, which I'm sure makes a huge difference.

Ran about neutral as to luck, I think.

Lots of new faces last night, great to see. To be able to play 50 PLO8 DYM's @ £3.30 & above in a single session is really quite something, the traffic in these things is building nicely. It'll be great in the winter.

Nice atmo at the tables, people just enjoying themselves, & taking their beats like grown-ups. Love it.

I got hilariously slow-rolled by a chap who flopped the nut flush, (I had 2nd nut flush) but my low got there & we chopped. This lad does it regularly, & it does not bother me one iota - but it does make me wonder what sort of person enjoys slow-rolling others. Bet he's a lovely guy in real-life. Arise Sir Schadenfreude.

No play for me tonight, as I have to endure an evening in the Studio with Orford. Now THAT is run-bad.

Back tomorrow, keep my seat warm please. 

Fingers crossed, will be playing the rest of the week, Wednesday - Sunday inclusive, to try & rack up some Reward Points before the Month end on Sunday. Been a thin month, due to UKPC, but I hope to reach 1,500 Reward Points, as £15 is a very handy bonus at the stakes I play.

People don't seem to bother too much with end of month Reward Points targets, but let's be honest, if you saw a £15 note blowing down the street, you'd soon pick it up.    
  • edited August 2014
    If I saw a fifteen pound note anywhere, I'd be very... oh I get it...
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay,

Quick Sky PLO/PLO8 Q - why do you think that so little of the traffic you've helped build up makes its way across to the cheapskate-stakes cash tables?  It's definitely a game I'd like to play some more of, but I'm not a massive DYM fan and much prefer games where I'm deeper stacked.

Apart from the chance to take-on-Tikay, is there a reason that DYM is the more attractive format for this game?

This thread is still a great advert for the games, showing people what can be achieved from low buy-in games if you put the effort and focus into your poker!
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay, Quick Sky PLO/PLO8 Q - why do you think that so little of the traffic you've helped build up makes its way across to the cheapskate-stakes cash tables?  It's definitely a game I'd like to play some more of, but I'm not a massive DYM fan and much prefer games where I'm deeper stacked. Apart from the chance to take-on-Tikay, is there a reason that DYM is the more attractive format for this game? This thread is still a great advert for the games, showing people what can be achieved from low buy-in games if you put the effort and focus into your poker!
    Posted by shakinaces
    Hi Shaky,

I've no idea really, but as a guess, DYM's are fairly low variance, & no matter what ability players have, they all have a chance of cashing in a reasonable % of them. I very much doubt the chance to "take on tikay" has much to do with it. Generally, all DYM's on Sky Poker are immensely popular, & are showing great y-o-y growth.

One thing I do, though, which helps, is insta-register for every PLO8 DYM @ £3.30 & above - that definitely helps liquidity. Of the 50 I played last night, I'd be surprised if I were not the first to register for 45 of them. Once it is seen that someone wants a game, others soon follow. 

Do you register @ the PLO8 Cash Tables? That might help.

I keep thinking I'd like to try other Formats - Cash & MTT's, but I'm pretty lol-bad at Cash. Guess I might throw in a Tourney or two next month, & see how they go. 

Maybe I should try & rev up PLO DYM's. Gerardirl used to rule those, & is VERY good at them, & I know he'd bring along a bunch of players. 

My problem is there are not enough hours in the day, & I SO love what I'm currently doing. 

The other thing with DYM's is that people don't seem to moan or groan much. We see some shocking outdraws - Macacgirl1 is easily the worst culprit, she spite-calls - but folks just take it in their stride, & move on to the next one, like grown-ups should.

Love the game, never enjoyed it more in all the years I've played.    
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay, Quick Sky PLO/PLO8 Q - why do you think that so little of the traffic you've helped build up makes its way across to the cheapskate-stakes cash tables? Posted by shakinaces
    In a word, rake.

a) It's high at micro stakes cash anyway, and

b) As a high percentage of pots are split, rake gets taken from both the high and the low pot so even if you win one of the two pots you are losing money. Certainly speeds up the losses and makes it very hard to keep your head above water.
  • edited August 2014
    Right thats me done for the weekend. Off to iron my pants. See you on the other side Over and out
    Posted by VespaPX
    We'll that didn't go as expected.
    Good job I ironed my pants!

Currently laid up in Southampton General with 4 fractured vertabrae.
    Halo jacket fitted with 4 bolts in my skull holding it together.
    So may be a while before I see u all on the felt, but..................

I'll be back!!!!

Oh and the next person that winges about a game of cards is gonna get punched (obv when I'm better)
    See you soon
    Mick
  • edited August 2014
    Honestly Mick I was not sending evil thoughts after the quad nines!
    Having recently spent time in hospital myself I wish you all the very best for your recovery.
    Hope you come back to the tables soon
    Nick
  • edited August 2014
    Honestly Mick I was not sending evil thoughts after the quad nines! Having recently spent time in hospital myself I wish you all the very best for your recovery. Hope you come back to the tables soon Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Thanks Nick
    Much appreciated
    Mick
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Vespa....Im feeling a bit better about my 8 losing streak ...and counting. Thanks for making me feel better!!

On a serious note though what the heck happened?? Jeez hope your ok soon mate! That must have been on hell of an iron!

Have a speedy recorvery.

All the best
    Ger
  • edited August 2014
    Hey Vespa....Im feeling a bit better about my 8 losing streak ...and counting. Thanks for making me feel better!! On a serious note though what the heck happened?? Jeez hope your ok soon mate! That must have been on hell of an iron! Have a speedy recorvery. All the best Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    Cheers Ger
    Drunken antics at the IoW Scooter Rally at the weekend!
    I will grow up one of these days !
    Can you keep your losing streak going until I get back !
    Gl
    Mick
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay
    I loved the coment in tonights show :-
    Petrified I have not seen him move yet
    It sailed over Richards head like concorde
    Superb
    Nick
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : We'll that didn't go as expected. Good job I ironed my pants! Currently laid up in Southampton General with 4 fractured vertabrae. Halo jacket fitted with 4 bolts in my skull holding it together. So may be a while before I see u all on the felt, but.................. I'll be back!!!! Oh and the next person that winges about a game of cards is gonna get punched (obv when I'm better) See you soon Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
     all the best mate hope its a speedy recovery.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : We'll that didn't go as expected. Good job I ironed my pants! Currently laid up in Southampton General with 4 fractured vertabrae. Halo jacket fitted with 4 bolts in my skull holding it together. So may be a while before I see u all on the felt, but.................. I'll be back!!!! Oh and the next person that winges about a game of cards is gonna get punched (obv when I'm better) See you soon Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    What?

Terrible news, Mick.

Hope you are soon on the mend, & back home.

You'll be much missed.
  • edited August 2014

26th August Daily Numbery things

Played 4

Won 2

Lost 2

£3.30, P 3, W 2, L 1

£5.50, P 1, W 0 L 1

£11, P 0, W 0, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,410.93

Closing Balance = £1,407.53

Profit/Loss on Night - £3.40

Profit/Loss on Month = £52.30

REWARD POINTS on night = 14

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,097 (= £10.97)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 300

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 173

AUGUST WIN % = 57.66%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.17
  • edited August 2014

Just a brief session yesterday, which did not go quite as planned, & ended up costing me £3.

Won 2, lost 2, but of those, three were @ £3.30 only 1 was @ £5.50, & I made a bit of a pigs ear of that £5.50 affair.

First up, I flopped the lot with A-3 of spades on an all spade flop of K-J-2. Thought I'd check & see if I can get a bit of action, as I have nuts & nut low draw. Ended up chopping that one.....

Later, it became clear that Matey Boy was calling EVERY hand EVERY street if he had ANY low draw. Time to set a trap methinks.

Found the right hand, flopped beautifully, it all goes in, he is in a world of pain, & have nut nut at present, only a non-heart 4 can get him out of it.

Bink!

• edited August 2014
    "The other thing with DYM's is that people don't seem to moan or groan much. We see some shocking outdraws - Macacgirl1 is easily the worst culprit, she spite-calls - but folks just take it in their stride, & move on to the next one, like grown-ups should."

There isn't an ounce of spite in anything I do.
    A lb of spanners maybe, but never spite!
  • edited August 2014
    "The other thing with DYM's is that people don't seem to moan or groan much. We see some shocking outdraws - Macacgirl1 is easily the worst culprit, she spite-calls - but folks just take it in their stride, & move on to the next one, like grown-ups should." There isn't an ounce of spite in anything I do. A lb of spanners maybe, but never spite!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    A lb of twiglets more like.
  • edited August 2014
    Ruddy Nora Vesp, hope you mend with no problems.