You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    Going back a few years to when you and Julian were first starting out. Do you think there were many players around who could have made a real fist of it but for leaks? 

Probably not this gentleman but this sort of thing springs to mind. I remember seeing this older Welsh chap win the nightly rebuy for just over £2000. He didn't make it to the cash desk. The roulette wheel had caught his eye en route. 
  • edited August 2014
    Nice read TK.   You really should write a book!   Or post at least one "ramble" in diary per week?
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay,
    The Commonwealth Nations Bridge championships are taking place September 8th -15th in Glasgow. Please could you come along with your camera crew and cover it for a couple of days. Lots of bridge players like playing Poker so it would be great publicity for Sky Poker. 
    Go to www.bridgewebs.com/dereksanders and click the link for more details or just contact me.
    Sky Poker is an excellent channel and many bridge players would play on your site if they knew how good it was!
    There is a big market of bridge players out there who would really enjoy playing but dont know about it.
    Kind Regards 
    Derek
     AKA Deek10

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    If you do go fri/sat do let us know not played omaha 4/5/6 before but might try it out if the poker glitterati are going to be there. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Morning Gelders.

Apologies, I did go on Friday, but I had a challenging day, (phone battery died, left the charger at work, could not access internet for long periods) so I was unable to let you know. 

Sadly, I will NOT be playing tonight's PLO8 @ The Vic.

Why? The structure is so good that if you make the final, it will not end until around 3 or 4am, maybe later, & I have to be at work early on Monday morning.

Friday's PLO started at 7pm, & finished, unbelievably, at 0530am.

Sunday's PLO8 is a 5pm, start, so 2 hours earlier, but generally, PLO8 lasts longer, so a 5am finish is quite possible. 

It's a real shame, as I'd love to play it, but I just can't take the chance of being there all night when I need to be at work on Monday.

• edited August 2014

I have not updated the last few days, what with work, & real-life stuff getting in the way, so here goes.....
  • edited August 2014

28th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 12

Lost 18

£3.30, P 19, W 8, L 11

£5.50, P 9, W 3 L 6

£11, P 2, W 1, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,329.90

Closing Balance = £1,293.70

Profit Loss on Night - £36.20

Profit Loss on Month = £0.50

REWARD POINTS on night = 125

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,881 (= £28.81)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 716

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 403

JULY WIN % = 56.3%
  • edited August 2014

Terrible night.

Played bad & ran bad, in equal measure.

My old problem surfaced again - poor concentration.

Bad time - just before the month end - to return such bad numbers, too.

I really need to do better than this.

• edited August 2014

29th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 21

Lost 9

£3.30, P 23, W 18, L 5

£5.50, P 3, W 3 L 0

£11, P 2, W 0, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,293.70

Closing Balance = £1,310.70

Profit Loss on Night - £17.00

Profit Loss on Month = £17.50

REWARD POINTS on night = 110

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,991 (= £29.91)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 746

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 424

JULY WIN % = 56.8%
  • edited August 2014

Much better night, & did great @ £3.30 & £5.50, but messed up what might have been a great night by losing the only 2 @ £11 I played. That is potentially a £40 swing, & meant instead of a great night, it was fairly average.

To make matters worse, I made a bad error in one of the £11 affairs, so it was an unforced error really.

Reminds me of one of my School Reports.

Tony has some ability, but needs to apply himself better

• edited August 2014

30th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 15

Won 8

Lost 7

£3.30, P 12, W 6, L 6

£5.50, P 3, W 2 L 1

£11, P 0, W 0, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,310.70

Closing Balance = £1,310.60

Profit Loss on Night - £0.10

Profit Loss on Month = £17.40

REWARD POINTS on night = 51

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 3,042 (= £45.63)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 761

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 432

JULY WIN % = 56.7%
  • edited August 2014

My final session for July, as I was working the next night.

Just a short session, as I was not feeling too good, but really, I just wanted to get past the 3,000 Reward Point mark, as that gave me a 50% Uplift, worth £15.

Would like to have had a good night to end July, but ended up losing 10p! Could be worse, I suppose.

End of month summary to follow.
  • edited August 2014

In this month-end summary, I've changed my accounting method so as to INCLUDE the Reward Points money for July within them.

Normally, I include it in the next month, but as I'll be playing MUCH less in August, due to diary problems (mainly 11 days up at UKPC) it would skew August's figures badly.

Also, it is quite possible that in constructing my daily numbers, I may make minor errors, either way, but the true test is the "Account Balance" which is always 100% accurate, & which I simply copy from my Account. So the Account number I report will include the Reward Point money for July (£45.63) even though it is not yet in the Account.

All numbers & %'s will reflect the Reward Point money. Arguably, it massages the numbers favourably, but really, over the long term - the ONLY way to judge numbers, & progress - it makes no difference really.

• edited August 2014

JULY CLOSING SUMMARY

Profit/Loss = £63.02

Closing Account balance - £1,356.23

Total Profit/Loss to date = £1,156.23

Games played = 761

Games won = 432

% of Games won = 56.7%

Reward Points = 3,042

Reward Points Payment = £45.63

Profit/Loss per game, July = £0.08
  • edited August 2014

Some random thoughts on those numbers......

I returned to these games after an absence of several months, & a long trip to Vegas.

I initially under-estimated how ring-rusty I would be, & performed badly until I found my rhythm & made the necessary adjustments. These play very shallow, whereas in Vegas, it is all deep stacks & long clocks. Very different.

I also needed to tinker with a few things in my game, make a few strategic changes to how I play. These were badly needed, & produced better results.

My major failings were in concentration & focus. When 6 Tabling, it really affects my results if I engage in chat box chit-chat. But I do so enjoy chatting with my Plopper friends, so that one is a bit awkward, as I want my cake & eat it, so to speak.

Overall, I was disappointed with my performance, I think I can & should do better.

Even so, I set out to tick certain boxes, in particular.....

ENJOY my poker. Deffo ticked that one, best fun ever. This is, far & away, THE most important thing.

ENJOY my poker AND make a profit. Ticked that one too, but human nature being what it is, I thought I should have won more. Why didn't I? Never played well enough, in short. 56.7% of games won is less than I aim for - I think 57.5% should be a minimum target. I'm grateful that I managed to beat 55% though.

Anyway, on balance, enjoying it as much as ever, & making a little profit, I have to be happy with that, & I am.

I have a tremendous hobby, I play it each night with generally lovely people, who mostly take their beats like grown-ups should, & are gracious in defeat & victory.

What's not to like?

All good.   
  • edited August 2014
    how about this for profit and loss. played the 1 and 2 game at the hippodrome last night amid stupid opening raises of £25, ran £100 into £490 then lost it on the train back to aldershot. dont feel great...
  • edited August 2014

And finally, some random memories from the July PLO8 DYM's.

If I omit your name, please don't take offence, as I have a leaky memory these days.

Firstly, amazing how the PLO8 liquidity has stood up, despite this being the worst time of rthe year. Roll on the dark cold nights, the traffic will be amazing.

Macacgirl1 decided to quit PLO8 early in the month, which made me very sad. She is a tremendously game opponent, & never ever moans & groans. Later in the month, she returned, happy days, I was so pleased, she is "furniture" here.

Gerardirl (aka "Ger"), what a fine Ambassador for the game he is. Made the transition from PLO to PLO8 very well, too.

Vespa, he had THE most vicious downswing & run of bad luck. I know it got to him a bit, but he's a proper bloke, & his form returned.

seanallen. Not seen Sean in the DYM's previously, but I know, as I like to keep an eye on who does what, that he is a VERY good PLO8 Heads Up player, very profitable I imagine. He sat in last night, & you know within a few hands whether a player can play or not. Oh my, he can play, he is technically VERY good indeed, did all the right things, & never wasted a chip. Nice bloke too. Has the coveted "Yellow" Colour Code in my notes. Not many have that. 

Enut & Gelders. I call these "senior" players & I don't mean age. Always good to see them at the Tables.

Alexis, John, tomgoodun & all the other regulars. Never a bad word from any of them.

gollygosh. Seems to have come across from NLH, & has become a PLO8 regular these days. Lovely person. Good addition to Team Plop.

x. (No names please). Sadly, but deservedly imo, seems to have had a temporary chat ban. I mean, really, in what parallel universe can we go round calling folks "clowns & idiots" every time we lose a hand, or chasing people across various tables to berate them for a "bad" call? We WANT bad calls, & we win 80% against them, so we ought to accept the few we lose. If we spoke to others like that in "Live" poker, we'd get a broken nose pdq. And ESPECIALLY describing opponents as retar*s is simply not EVER acceptable in decent society. He's a very good player, & I hope he is soon back chatting with us.      

MOTHER. I give her shocking gip in the chat box, & sometimes follks don't realise why. It's because she is the greatest, & I love her to bits.

Those are just a few who spring to mind, please don't take offence if I forgot to include you.      
  • edited August 2014
    how about this for profit and loss. played the 1 and 2 game at the hippodrome last night amid stupid opening raises of £25, ran £100 into £490 then lost it on the train back to aldershot. dont feel great...
    Posted by robertod
    Ouch!
  • edited August 2014

August?

Will be too busy to play as much as usual, maybe 15 nights at best, so no special targets this month, except to get the 'roll above £1,400.  

Starting with £200, the highest I have been is a shade under £1,400 (currently £1,356). I seem to have hit a point of resistance, & have been hovering around this number for ages. Every time I approach £1,400, I seem to have a downswing. Once I get over that line - & if I do - I hope I can psah on. £2,000 by the end of the year would be worth aiming for. We shall see, I'll need to improve a few things to do that, but we have to keep tweaking things to improve them.

Love PLO8, & the people who play it.

• edited August 2014

Guess I had better start the August numbers.....
  • edited August 2014

2nd August Daily Numbery things

Played 15

Won 9

Lost 6

£3.30, P 11, W 6, L 5

£5.50, P 4, W 3 L 1

£11, P 0, W 0, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,356.23

Closing Balance = £1,363.53

Profit Loss on Night - £7.70

Profit Loss on Month = £7.70

REWARD POINTS on night = 53

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 53 (= £0.53)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 15

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 9

JULY WIN % = 66.6%
  • edited August 2014

Only played a mini-session, as I was incredibly fatigued. Did Thursday's Show, (Midnight finish) then was up all night Friday playing Live Poker, literally, so I was shattered.

Was playing pretty well untl 2 horrendous errors late in the session took the gloss off the numbers.

In one, I was typing some chat into the box, and it caused me to RAISE on another table, ugh. I never intended to raise, it was a standard fold, but it just happened. As I pressed "Enter" for the chat, it must have switched Tables as it was me to act next. Must be careful to avoid that in future. I blame MOTHER.

Will be on the Tables tonight, & Monday, am working Tuesday, playing again on Wednesday, then that's me done until August 18th, due to UKPC.

Hope to see a few of you tonight, the games on Sunday are usually good, with plenty of £11ers running.

• edited August 2014
    I love reading these posts Mr K please dont stop, my usual morning routing is: chores done; coffee made; open PC read 'Can an old dog learn new tricks?' and then laugh for the rest of the day - what more can a girl want? (but I do get a bit grumpy when you miss a couple of days!!)

Well done on your fantastic win on Friday/Saturday, but was wondering how on earth do the dealers cope with working out pot limits, then having to split pots etc they must have to be mathematical geniuses - so well done to them as well.

See you at the tables tonight 

Mother
    (from Rochdale, not Bury or Burnley or even Oldham its ROCHDALE)

XX
    ;)

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Morning Gelders.   Apologies, I did go on Friday, but I had a challenging day, (phone battery died, left the charger at work, could not access internet for long periods) so I was unable to let you know.  Sadly, I will NOT be playing tonight's PLO8 @ The Vic. Why? The structure is so good that if you make the final, it will not end until around 3 or 4am, maybe later, & I have to be at work early on Monday morning. Friday's PLO started at 7pm, & finished, unbelievably, at 0530am. Sunday's PLO8 is a 5pm, start, so 2 hours earlier, but generally, PLO8 lasts longer, so a 5am finish is quite possible.  It's a real shame, as I'd love to play it, but I just can't take the chance of being there all night when I need to be at work on Monday.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    no problem tk
    do I take it you did well on Friday to know what time it finished!? if so then vwp
    and thks for the hu on the structure - best I leave it to the kids as well - I need my beauty sleep
  • edited August 2014

3rd August Daily Numbery things

Played 30

Won 21

Lost 9

£3.30, P 20, W 12, L 8

£5.50, P 9, W 8 L 1

£11, P 1, W 1, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,363.53

Closing Balance = £1,399.43

Profit Loss on Night - £35.50

Profit Loss on Month = £43.20

REWARD POINTS on night = 115

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 168 (= £1.68)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 45

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 30

JULY WIN % = 66.6%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.96
  • edited August 2014
    I'll second the commendation from Mam, please continue the stories, they're not rambles, pure entertainment.

I have finally managed to learn a new trick (as of today) it's called, not having a drink and playing. Two big glasses of wine with dinner yesterday and I promptly played like a baboon and lost 11 of the next 12 games!  Managed to scrape it back with a great end to the night, but what a disastrous day that could have been.

I am amazed when I read in the chatbox that some are drinking x, y and z and still are playing, Gawd knows how people manage it. Two drinks and my brain may as well be a pot noodle.
  • edited August 2014

Really fun evening last night, & knocked off 30 games in 4 hours flat. Still very tired, so decided to quit then, especially as I was starting to lose games due to failing concentration.

Won 21 of 30, which I was chuffed to bits with, & achieved the rare (for me) triple slam of winning the Game Count at all 3 Levels played, £3.30 (12-8), £5.50 (8-1) & £11 (1-0).

Late on Sunday evenings there are generally plenty of £11 games running, but I was just too tired to continue, & it would be a shame to give back a very solid profit on the night.

My concentration early doors was perfect, I got right into the zone. Later, I could not resist chatting, & this coincided with my performance tailing off. I'm sure if I turned the chat off I'd have better results, but that's too big a price to pay, & I don't intend to do that, chatting with the regulars is part of the attraction.

There was a very odd game late on, in which one guy & myself had 10,000 of the 12,000 chips in play, & there were 2 Shorties left, and the blinds were big.

He kept limping into the 2 shorties, instead of folding or raising, so they were allowed free flops &, inevitably, kept getting there. This, really, is not good play. So I decided that I would put pressure on the shorties, raise into them whenever I had a hand. But, of course, I had no intention of going to war with the other Biggie. That'd be plain daft. But.......every time I raised, the Biggie flatted me! This really makes no sense, no sense at all. It is perfectly standard DYM strategy in these situations NOT to take on the other biggie, but pressurise the shorties. Nothing is ever said in the Chat Box of course - that would amount to collusion - but it's just DYM common sense.

Inevitably, I busted the other biggie when I flopped the world & he took off, betting into me. I scooped, Biggie busted, & the 2 shorties both survived.

Makes no odds to me, but I'm pretty sure a lot of players don't consider the dynamic in these situations.

Of course, I could have bust, but I'd never bust by calling the other biggie, that'd be just crazy. In fact he raised once into me, & I folded good Aces. There is just no point going to war with him when there are 2 shorties on the table.

Anyway, August has begun very well, & I'm now just over 10/- (that's 10 bob to youngsters) short of the magical £1,400 balance, which seems to be a point of resistance. Cue the inevitable downswing......         
  • edited August 2014

One rather pleasing surprise last night was to win 15 games on the bounce. Not sure I'd ever done that before. Obviously, some proper run-good in there, but I did play well & really concentrate. Shame I lost 9 of the other 15, marv.

I really have no idea how some guys run up these streaks of 20, 30 & even 40+ consecutive wins, it's quite beyond my imagination.

Anyway, 15 may be modest, but it was really quite exciting until the run ended. 

I really can't see me ever doing that again. It's almost like flipping a coin & it coming down "heads" 15 times running.

• edited August 2014
    I'll second the commendation from Mam, please continue the stories, they're not rambles, pure entertainment. I have finally managed to learn a new trick (as of today) it's called, not having a drink and playing. Two big glasses of wine with dinner yesterday and I promptly played like a baboon and lost 11 of the next 12 games!  Managed to scrape it back with a great end to the night, but what a disastrous day that could have been. I am amazed when I read in the chatbox that some are drinking x, y and z and still are playing, Gawd knows how people manage it. Two drinks and my brain may as well be a pot noodle.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Fellow Ploppers,

Have you noticed how Mac HAS to make a food reference in every conversation?

Literally, for the past week, every chat box convo with Mac has mentioned food.

Could it be because she knows I'm hard-dieting, & am confined to Ryvita & Cup-A-Soup Lite?

No need, no need at all.

One night last week Mac & Princess Burnley (Mother) must have listed EVERY one of my favourite foods. 

They shall pay. 

• edited August 2014
    I'll second the commendation from Mam, please continue the stories, they're not rambles, pure entertainment. I have finally managed to learn a new trick (as of today) it's called, not having a drink and playing. Two big glasses of wine with dinner yesterday and I promptly played like a baboon and lost 11 of the next 12 games!  Managed to scrape it back with a great end to the night, but what a disastrous day that could have been. I am amazed when I read in the chatbox that some are drinking x, y and z and still are playing, Gawd knows how people manage it. Two drinks and my brain may as well be a pot noodle.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Well done on pulling back that defecit, losing 11 from 12 really sucks. Been there, done that, and I can't even blame alcohol for it as I don't touch the stuff.

There was a regular on the tables last night. I know he can play OK, but he was playing dreadfully, & must have done his conkers. It makes me a little uncomfortable in truth, taking money from drunk players, but what are we supposed to do in these spots?

PS - I can confirm, your brain is a pot noodle.
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well done on pulling back that defecit, losing 11 from 12 really sucks. Been there, done that, and I can't even blame alcohol for it as I don't touch the stuff. There was a regular on the tables last night. I know he can play OK, but he was playing dreadfully, & must have done his conkers. It makes me a little uncomfortable in truth, taking money from drunk players, but what are we supposed to do in these spots? PS - I can confirm, your brain is a pot noodle.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Gosh! 
    I must have been really far gone last night.  I don't even recall playing your funny game