You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Thanks again for all your posts and updates Tikay. As others have said it's one of the first things I check each morning before starting work. I really liked your post showing your tournament buy ins this year. I think we all get given the impression that the top players (and you obviously) just win, win, win when, in reality. the big pay days - excellent and news worthy though they are - are often few and far between.    I had the pleasure of playing at the £3.30 tables a few nights ago (no £5.5 or £11 running). What a laugh they were, the only difficulty was finding time to join in with the banter in between fits of laughter and whilst trying to keep up with the tables! Great fun.  
    Posted by Enut
    Thanks Tuney.

Really, it's all about having fun. And if we can make a liitle money, or even break-even, then we are freerolling. Great value that.

As to the "paydays" in poker, yes, it's nice to relate them, but it's important not to just "sing when we win", so balance is needed.

When I started daily "reports" on my DYM challenge, I was reminded of something GaryQQQ wrote, along the lines of "they only have credibility if you report the wins AND the losses", so I've tried to stick to that, good or bad. It's quite painful to come on here some days & say I've dropped £30 or so, it's a blow to the ego, of course it is, but a single night viewed in isolation is meaningless, it's the long term results that count.  

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : i think we are pretty even on horror beats TK - really enjoying the plo8 - used to play them ages ago then got sidetracked but it seems to be building up again nicely! - not qualified for notts but might pop in if i am at a loose end - always good for a laugh
    Posted by imber
    Yes, I guess you are right, we've put a few on each other, but defeat is always accepted with a smile & "wp, gl all" sorta thing.

Hope to see you up at DTD for the UKPC thing.

• edited August 2014

Chap arrived at a PLO8 DYM last night & promptly announced he had regged by mistake, & did not how how to play.

This was greeted with a degree of doubt, as we have a guy that tries that trick regularly, & so nobody believes such statements any more.

Anyway, it soon became evident that he had no idea, & was just raising every single hand from every position.

He is to my immediate left, & it's folded round to me in the SB, & I have A-A-2-K DS.

I know he's going to pop it up, so I just make up.

He raises, I re-raise, & we gradually go pot pot pot & get the lot in. On their backs, he has something like Q-9-7-6. And flops 2 pairs!

Luckily (for me) I got the low. Phew. 

MacacFood tried to help him, "stop keep raising, just sit & watch for a few ortbits & you'll soon get the hang of it".

So he promptly raises her BB, lol. Typically, she busted him, & then said something like "nuts", "sweet", Twiglet time", "the cat got the cream" or whatever. Standard.

She can't help herself with this food thing. She told us all she was "going away on Sundae".

In betting terms, she'd want to be an ice-cream.     

• edited August 2014
    i am the guy who says that im rubbish all the time and i can assure you it is no trick. im useless. my luck ran out the day i was born...
  • edited August 2014

Time to get this re-started, & back on track.

I've been waylaid the last 2 weeks, & have miuch missed playing the PLO8 DYM's, so I dived straight back in yesterday, & had a simply wonderful evening with so many of my friends here. 

I'll Update the numbers next, but I've just realised I never Updated my last session pre UKPC (a BADDDD one), so I'll do that first. 

With so few available nights this month, my targets will have to be modest, but I plan to return full-on in September, I SO enjoy playing these.

As for August, I only have 9 days left on which I'll be available, but I'll try & get 30 games in every session, so that'll add 270 or so to August. Be nice to turn a profit, too, my bankroll seems to have been stuck around the same level for ages, time to try & push on a bit.

It would help if Mother & Twiglet stopped being disrespectful, if I may say so, calling my raises, or betting into me with poo. Outrageous.

• edited August 2014

6th August Daily Numbery things

Played 31

Won 15

Lost 16

£3.30, P 21, W 12, L 9

£5.50, P 8, W 3 L 3

£11, P 2, W 0, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,425.53

Closing Balance = £1,387.23

Profit/Loss on Night - £38.30

Profit/Loss on Month = £32.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 123

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 370 (= £3.70)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 96

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 59

JULY WIN % = 61.5%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.33
  • edited August 2014

What a dreadful set of numbers, & they have made a right mess of my August stats!

I don't recall the details, but only winning 3 from 8 @ £5.50, & losing the only two I played @ £11 was always going to be a disaster I suppose, & comes down to sample size, & lack of volume at £5 & £11. Such a shame we can't get more going at £11, but I am pretty sure they'll run more come the winter.
  • edited August 2014

18th August Daily Numbery things

Played 30

Won 19

Lost 11

£3.30, P 25, W 15, L 10

£5.50, P 5, W 4 L 1

£11, P 0, W 0, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,387.23

Closing Balance = £1,407.23

Profit/Loss on Night - £20.00

Profit/Loss on Month = £52.00

REWARD POINTS on night = 100

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 470 (= £4.70)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 126

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 78

JULY WIN % = 61.9%

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.41
  • edited August 2014

Better!

Winning 15 from 25 @ £3.30 was just about acceptable, & 4 from 5 @ £5.50 was excellent, & was, effectively, where the profit arose.

I was a bit ring-rusty first 15 games, (lost 3 of the first 4, groan), & just edged the Game Count 8-7, which is not good enough, but I finished with a storming 11 wins from the last 15, so that was good. Considering the terrible start, was very pleased overall.

Lovely, lovely, atmo on the Tables, I've missed it so much.

A nasty spot arose in the very first game I'd played for a fortnight. I have a reasonable "read" on Twiglet Lady, who is very good at stealing from the Button in the mid to late stages, & we can re-pot it with a wider range in certain spots. I identified the spot perfectly, & we got it all-in, on their backs. She had absolute poo, NO outs at all, I had her completely drawing dead. Somehow the Manual RNG intervention must have been invoked, as she got there somehow. Ridiculous. She shall pay.

Oddly, later on, I busted her with a bit of a shocker outdraw, & a chap wrote "well done, nice one, very poor player", which seemed a bit churlish. I said "she's probably one of the best PLO8 players here", to which he retorted "I don't know how you get that daft idea". A Sharkscope graph to die for is the clue, my friend. 

That apart, not a bit of bad blood in the chatbox, & I can't help but think what a friendly bunch the Ploppers are. I know I say it a lot, but we play poker to have fun, right?

Good to see FCHD on the tables last night. Think I'll give him the nick "The Barnacle", he is near impossible to get rid of. 

"John10878" impresses me greatly, too, plays the game very well & takes his beats like a proper grown-up. I coolered him last night when I flopped the nut flush, & he flopped the top set, (Kings), tough spot for him, impossible to fold as played. An identical scenario arose later, but he somehow got off on that occasion. It's not easy to fold top set. He's running a bit bad at the mo, just timing really, but his game is very solid, & it's just variance. It'll turn soon enough.

See you guys tonight, maybe even this afternoon. I have unfinished business with Twiglet Lady.                 

• edited August 2014
    "well done, nice one, very poor player"

I quite like that! I must be doing something right if how I play is getting under his skin.
    It's somewhat flattering really.
    To be fair to him, I don't think he likes the fact he is muted every game.

Good to have you back TK, was a lot of fun last night.

• edited August 2014
    Nice to see u back at the tables Tony.
    Had to cut short my play last night as one on my cats caught a bat and bought it in the house!
    Wife was having a fit, i couldn't stop laughing :-))
    Off to watch Bournemouth tonight so won't be around to donate.
  • edited August 2014
    Nice to see u back at the tables Tony. Had to cut short my play last night as one on my cats caught a bat and bought it in the house! Wife was having a fit, i couldn't stop laughing :-)) Off to watch Bournemouth tonight so won't be around to donate.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Did you know that bats are a protected species? Your cat might get sued.

How many working legs does your cat have? (Serious question).

I was chatting with Jen Mason last week, she has a disabled cat, think it only has one leg or something.

The convo was typical Jen, we were discussing me going down to Rendezvous Brighton to hook up with her & play some PLO8 Cash, which we do once a year or so, in sort of all-night fun sessions.

Anyway, she said "you can stay at my place, there is only the two of us & most of a cat".

I nearly died laughing, "most of a cat". Only Jen Mason could say such a thing. She is, absolutely, the best, & it was so good to see her last week.   
  • edited August 2014
    " well done, nice one, very poor player " I quite like that! I must be doing something right if how I play is getting under his skin. It's somewhat flattering really. To be fair to him, I don't think he likes the fact he is muted every game. Good to have you back TK, was a lot of fun last night.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Just a bit!

Honestly, I just play small-ball poker these days, but I've never enjoyed poker so much as I do now. There's much to be said for keeping stakes sensible.

See you later. And no, I have not forgotten that shocker of a shove you made which busted me. Please don't apologise, I shall not accept it. No no, I MEAN it.    

• edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Did you know that bats are a protected species? Your cat might get sued. How many working legs does your cat have? (Serious question). I was chatting with Jen Mason last week, she has a disabled cat, think it only has one leg or something. The convo was typical Jen, we were discussing me going down to Rendezvous Brighton to hook up with her & play some PLO8 Cash, which we do once a year or so, in sort of all-night fun sessions. Anyway, she said " you can stay at my place, there is only the two of us & most of a cat ". I nearly died laughing, " most of a cat ". Only Jen Mason could say such a thing. She is, absolutely, the best, & it was so good to see her last week.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have 3 cats.
    Joey is the one with a fused spine and she has good days and bad days.
    Got all 4 legs but the back legs get sort-of dragged around some days.
    Been like it for about 3 years now.
    Keep saying this will be her last year but she's a trooper and keep soldering on.

It was Daisy our youngest cat who caught the bat!
    Luckily i got to it in time and released it back in the garden.

Alfie is our Tom cat - miserable old **** !

As the wife says "Its the cats house we just pay the mortgage"

Gl on the felt later.
  • edited August 2014

19th August Daily Numbery things

Played 40

Won 19

Lost 21

£3.30, P 32, W 14, L 18

£5.50, P 6, W 3 L 3

£11, P 2, W 2, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,407.23

Closing Balance = £1,400.63

Profit/Loss on Night - £6.60

Profit/Loss on Month = £45.40

REWARD POINTS on night = 142

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 616 (= £6.16)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 166

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 97

JULY WIN % = 58.43

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.27
  • edited August 2014

Hmmph.

Was going along nicely, not great, but a nice profit. Plenty of games, was getting through them well ahead of schedule, so I decided to play an extra 10 games. And promptly lost the last 6 in a row, to end up losing the Game Count, & turning a small loss.

What a wonderfully challenging thing this variance thing is, I mean, how does that happen, six straight losses?

Just as well, I suppose, that I won the only two games that ran @ £11, they helped avoid what could have been a bit of a mare. I was a little lucky in both of them, in a way, as in both, I was plum last with 4 left, but somehow managed to win both.

In one of them, a chap got a bit uppity with me, as 4 handed, especially when short of chips, i tend to get very aggro indeed. Bizarre, really, I had been card-dead earlier, & anyway, I play very few hands indeed early doors, & can sometimes pass every hand for the first 3 or 4 Levels. And he had limped in to EVERY pot during the game!

In another oddity, a good friend of mine, who came to Vegas with Sky Poker & myself a few years ago, re-potted me after I potted it on his Big Blind. I had no fold equity - which he knew - but he still re-potted me. Oops. Aces?

Well I had to go with it, & I liked my hand, A-K-2-4. He turned over J-6-5-3! And won, obv. I'm deffo not complaining - do that all day mate, please - but why would someone do that, what is the thinking, & logic? 

Gotta love this game, you never do quite know what to expect.

Another chap had a little chat-box chunter - at himself really - after he flopped the world, but could not get paid. "Story of my life", he whined. The thing is, in PLO8 we can flop TOO good, & when we do, we can't get paid. Cake & eat it, & all that.    

Anyway, good to have a 40 game session, even though I got slightly the worse of it. 

Will be back on it tonight, tomorrow too, then I'll be taking Friday, Saturday & Sunday off, as I have plans this weekend. So, fingers crossed, will try & get another long session tonight. Just need to avoid losing the last 6 again.     

• edited August 2014

I wave a white flag and promise to stop the shenanigans, no more calling any raise you make, regardless of my cards, just because it's funny.
    I thoroughly enjoyed it though, I could just imagine your expression.

The welcome back is over, now it's on!

• edited August 2014
    I wave a white flag and promise to stop the shenanigans, no more calling any raise you make, regardless of my cards, just because it's funny. I thoroughly enjoyed it though, I could just imagine your expression. The welcome back is over, now it's on!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Ha!

That was SO much fun.

For those not in the loop, Twiglet Lady was raising me & spite-calling me with all sorts of nonsense holdings. And generally getting there.

I'm not sure what strangers must have made of some of the plays, mind......!

She called him with WHAT? 

Cheap advertising, as they say.  

• edited August 2014
    I wish I had been at the tables last night to see Twiglet Lady messing with your head Tikay. That's what you get for leaving us all on our own for so long. I think in your previous post you mentioned that another player thought she was awful and said as much, it would be interesting if they read this thread or watch her normal play as they would have to amend their player notes accordingly!

I have tried deliberately playing very badly to give others the wrong impression, so far for about 2 years on Sky, you wait when my master plan reaches phase 2 and I suddenly turn into Phil Ivey!

Welcome back and I hope to get back on the Omaha HL tables soon myself.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay
    I thoroughly enjoyed playing a few games last night, winning 5 -1 makes it better.
    I have only played about 30-40 games now but the amount I have learnt in the last 3 weeks is unbelievable.

I genuinely didn't have a clue about HiLo but with your (and fellow ploppers) encouragement I am beginning to understand more.
    A particular mention to gerardirl who has often offered the odd friendly encouragement in the chat box.

I was beginning to go a bit stale playing NLH DYMs but this has given me a new interest.

Keep up the good work encouraging others to join.

I may see you at the tables later.

• edited August 2014
    Hello all PLO8ers

I have put a couple of hands in the poker clinic.
    I would appreciate any advice because I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks
  • edited August 2014
    I wish I had been at the tables last night to see Twiglet Lady messing with your head Tikay. That's what you get for leaving us all on our own for so long. I think in your previous post you mentioned that another player thought she was awful and said as much, it would be interesting if they read this thread or watch her normal play as they would have to amend their player notes accordingly! I have tried deliberately playing very badly to give others the wrong impression, so far for about 2 years on Sky, you wait when my master plan reaches phase 2 and I suddenly turn into Phil Ivey! Welcome back and I hope to get back on the Omaha HL tables soon myself.
    Posted by Enut
    Twiglet Ladys behaviour was an outrage, an OUTRAGE I tell ya. Was at it again last night, too. Shameful.

Hiope to see you soon on the Tables, you always add a fun dimension.
  • edited August 2014
    Hi Tikay I thoroughly enjoyed playing a few games last night, winning 5 -1 makes it better. I have only played about 30-40 games now but the amount I have learnt in the last 3 weeks is unbelievable. I genuinely didn't have a clue about HiLo but with your (and fellow ploppers) encouragement I am beginning to understand more. A particular mention to gerardirl who has often offered the odd friendly encouragement in the chat box. I was beginning to go a bit stale playing NLH DYMs but this has given me a new interest. Keep up the good work encouraging others to join. I may see you at the tables later.  
    Posted by dragon1964
    Yo Dragon.

Always great to hear people saying how much more fun we have @ PLO8, & I've much enjoyed your table company the last few days.

So many folks are struggling these days to beat NLH, but at PLO8, we have more chance, as less folks play it well. And we can add the fun bonus, too.

A newbie joined us last night, but got a little ahead of himself, when announcing, "we get 4 cards, so we cant really miss any flop, might as well just limp in every hand, no point raising".
    Nobody replied.....later, he limp called a shove in into obvious Aces with the PLO8-tastic 9-4-4-3. You can't get value like that in NLH. ;)

See you later.  
  • edited August 2014
    Hello all PLO8ers I have put a couple of hands in the poker clinic. I would appreciate any advice because I don't know what I'm doing. Thanks
    Posted by dragon1964
    OK Dragon, I'll have a look in a bit & reply. If Macacgirl (Twiglet Lady) has already replied, I'll not need to - she is rarely wrong.

Except when spite-calling me......
  • edited August 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yo Dragon. Always great to hear people saying how much more fun we have @ PLO8, & I've much enjoyed your table company the last few days. So many folks are struggling these days to beat NLH, but at PLO8, we have more chance, as less folks play it well. And we can add the fun bonus, too. A newbie joined us last night, but got a little ahead of himself, when announcing, "we get 4 cards, so we cant really miss any flop, might as well just limp in every hand, no point raising ". Nobody replied.....later, he limp called a shove in into obvious Aces with the PLO8-tastic 9-4-4-3. You can't get value like that in NLH. ;) See you later.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    The flop came A25 surely, surely it did, oh go on tell me......
  • edited August 2014

20th August Daily Numbery things

Played 40

Won 18

Lost 22

£3.30, P 32, W 15, L 17

£5.50, P 7, W 3 L 4

£11, P 1, W 0, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,400.63

Closing Balance = £1,365.63

Profit/Loss on Night - £35.00

Profit/Loss on Month = £10.40

REWARD POINTS on night = 141

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 757 (= £7.57)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 206

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 115

JULY WIN % = 55.83

August Profit/Loss per game = £0.05
  • edited August 2014

Boo!

What a mess.

Had a clean sweep - lost the game Count at all three levels. Ugh.

Early doors, just standard run-bad, nothing we can do about that, it happens, move on, variance is what it is.

But then I lost the only £11er of the night, & this skews the figures due to sample size, exactly as winning 2/2 @ £11 the previous night skewed the numbers the other way.

Was pretty cross with myself in that £11er. As played, was pretty sure my man had a big pair & was playing them NLH style. I flopped nut low draw, + Top & Bottom pair, so bet out, he re-popped as expected, & we got it in. I have to win at least half here, with a great chance to scoop. 

The flop was 10-6-2. 

My read was spot on - he had the Aces. 

BOOM, my two pair was good. 

Then I saw his danglers - 6-6! 

UNBOOM. Just need the low to hit for half, then. 

It might seem a standard spot, but the point was.....it was early doors. I almost never "play for stacks" early doors, there seems no point, we can be risk-averse early on, & see how the game pans out before risking our stack. Dumb play, & I was mortified at my play. Proper numcompoop, me.  

And after that, I'm pretty sure I lost a bit of discipline, & donked off a few stacks when, again, I had no need. It felt like mistake after mistake.

Anyway, whats done is done. Have runied my August stats, & it'll be uphill to respectability now. Amazing how poker does not allow us to take liberties, & punishes our mistakes.

Move on, nothing to see here.

My last session tonight until Monday, got plans over the weekend. Ooohhhhh. Best try & rwepair a bit of damage tonight then.
  • edited August 2014

Part of the problem the last 2 nights was MOTHER, who had been AWOL, & never even asked me for a Pass. I rely on MOTHER to be able to pinch her Big Blinds.

Twiglet was on Sentry Duty instead, making spite calls. She did me in one abso shocker, so bad we both had to laugh. She was at it, as per, I re-potted, she was committed, & typed "uh-oh" in the chat box. We both knew what would happen next......
     she hit runner-ruunner-runner-runner-runner-runner. 

• edited August 2014

I'm not sure it is right & proper to C & P chat box stuff, but I'm pretty sure neither player involved will mind on this occasion.

Must say, the last 2 comments by FCHD in the exchange had me rofling. 

The thing is, if folks are getting a bit fed up with a few long faces at NLH, come across to PLO8 & rekindle the poker fun factor. This exchange was fairly typical.

FCHDEvening (or is it still afternoon?) everybody

17:34tikay1;)

richards33Hi

Macacgirl1hiya, i aint posh enough to know the difference

tikay1"tea time"

17:35tikay1I shall not be engaging in convo with player"macacgirl1".

tikay1OFFICIAL

FCHDNot even if she offers you some Twiglets?

17:36tikay1pfft, like she would offer ANYONE a twiglet

Macacgirl1he wont take any, he's sulking

17:37tikay1I can't see what she just wrote, I've muted her

tikay1And I'm not sulking anyway

tikay1Maybe a teeny bit

17:38Macacgirl1be careful when you walk, dont want u tripping over your bottom lip!

tikay1I had A-A-A-A-2-2-K-K-Q, & she called me with poo-poo-poo-poo

tikay1unsuited poo, too

FCHD: Does Quad poo's beat Quad Aces?

17:39tikay1Yes, it would appear so

FCHDMust get it added to the list of hand rankings, somewhere near the "Orford straight"  

FCH

• edited August 2014

21st August Daily Numbery things

Played 40

Won 24

Lost 16

£3.30, P 31, W 18, L 13

£5.50, P 8, W 5 L 3

£11, P 1, W 1, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,365.63

Closing Balance = £1,386.23

Profit/Loss on Night - £20.60