You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It all depends on table situations. ICM can be helpful in some formats of the game however in hi lo dyms I feel it to be a negative factor. The reason for this is because it can lead you down the wrong path. What ICM can't tell you is about table situations and I feel table situations is the biggest factor in this form of the game. Its OK saying the percentages say x y z, and if you want to play and make small profits here and there then yes use ICM and fold the hand. However to be more advanced you have to get a grip of situational play. For example, I noticed very early on that geldy was playing with a wider range than normal. Now in the pot talked about if noticed that has to be taken into account and even gives tiks more fuel to make the call even if ICM is saying differently. Therefore its a call for me. Trust me play the situation and not the stats in this game you will be amazed just how clearer this game becomes instead of the confusing mind blowing world of ICM :)
    Posted by Hotwheals
    That was the first thing I considered - the fact that Geldy has widened his range.

Against, say, Alexis74, or Pompeynic, & most others "Team Solid Crew" I NEVER make that play.

I'm a little distrustful of all that GTO stuff, I think individual opponents need to be treated differently.

Much appreciate the advice, by the way, thank you.

This is not in any way dissing Geldy, it's just something that was relevant to the play. He has widened his range, so I can widen mine.

It was too good a spot to turn down. Or so I thought. ;)

LOVE this "learning together" stuff.  
  • edited September 2014
    Hi Tony Question for you: I was playing in a PLO8 MTT on Sunday and got to final table. It became quite obvious that the chip leader was playing hands more suited to PLO than PLO8 (Broadway type hands,etc.) Ended up losing to him HU. Given that there is always a Hi winning hand, what do you think of this type of play in an MTT? Cheers Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Personally, I'm not mad keen on that. I prefer some insurance at both ends.

Heads up in an MTT though, the options do change significantly, as we need to widen our range considerably.

• edited September 2014
    Sorry hottie but I'm not buying the argument that tikay should call just because he is well ahead of my range. He is risking his dym on an unnecessary gamble. i totally agree that he can try to get me to fold but the ICM of getting it all in vs the other big stack is so -ve ev. i am definitely in Suzy's camp with that one. 
  • edited September 2014
    Sorry hottie but I'm not buying the argument that tikay should call just because he is well ahead of my range. He is risking his dym on an unnecessary gamble. i totally agree that he can try to get me to fold but the ICM of getting it all in vs the other big stack is so -ve ev. i am definitely in Suzy's camp with that one. 
    Posted by GELDY
    That would be VERY exploitable Geldy.

If I should ALWAYS fold there, then you (or anyone else, with ANY holding) would ALWAYS reraise a big stack there & force them to fold. That can't be right, can it?

The equation is a basket of things to consider.

ICM

The Opponent's likely holding

The % chances of winning or losing.

The % chance of forcing villain to fold.

They all need taking into consideration.

Don't think we MUST fold just because ICM says so, it feels more "informal" & position specific to me.

Forget last night's hand, I'm talking generally.

• edited September 2014
    Posted by GELDY
    Its just a way of thinking and what has improved my game massively. I would have even called with a wider range than what he had in that spot purely because of the situation. Next pot could of come up the same against someone different and I could well fold. Its situations styles of play were up against and different scenarios. On average I have taken my game from a 55% ish player to a 65% ish player by playing less ICM and more situations, but each to there own :)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Its just a way of thinking and what has improved my game massively. I would have even called with a wider range than what he had in that spot purely because of the situation. Next pot could of come up the same against someone different and I could well fold. Its situations styles of play were up against and different scenarios. On average I have taken my game from a 55% ish player to a 65% ish player by playing less ICM and more situations, but each to there own :)
    Posted by Hotwheals
    >jealous<

;)

There's a road to that 65%, but my sat-nav keeps sending me the wrong way.
  • edited September 2014
    There's a glaring error and lack of judgement in this thread.

That picture of Twiglets is for a multipack.
    They are a snap-fold.

£2.30 for 6 x 24 grams, which is 1.6p per gram.

The big 150 gram bags are currently £1. which is 0.7p per gram.

Proper ICM that.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : />jealous< ;) There's a road to that 65%, but my sat-nav keeps sending me the wrong way.
    Posted by Tikay10[/QUOTE

The road is forever long and winding lol, has lots of bumps along the way too haha
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That would be VERY exploitable Geldy. If I should ALWAYS fold there, then you (or anyone else, with ANY holding) would ALWAYS reraise a big stack there & force them to fold. That can't be right, can it? The equation is a basket of things to consider. ICM The Opponent's likely holding The % chances of winning or losing. The % chance of forcing villain to fold.   They all need taking into consideration. Don't think we MUST fold just because ICM says so, it feels more "informal" & position specific to me. Forget last night's hand, I'm talking generally.   
    Posted by Tikay10

i agree totally
    what i meant was if you knew i would call then shoving just because you are ahead of my range i don't think is a good idea. 
    If you think i might fold then yes
    to keep me honest then yes
    to teach me a lesson then yes
    but just because you are ahead of my range not so sure

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : i agree totally what i meant was if you knew i would call then shoving just because you are ahead of my range i don't think is a good idea.  If you think i might fold then yes to keep me honest then yes to teach me a lesson then yes but just because you are ahead of my range not so sure
    Posted by GELDY
    All agreed Geldy, but it's never ONE thing we base our decison on, is it? It's always a basket of different elements - opponent, stack sizes, ICM, likely range v range match up, da de da.

Anyway, enough talk, it's time to play some pokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

See you in a bit.  
  • edited September 2014
    this 'debate' has kind of kicked up an interesting point.
    if a large open is made and almost certainly wont fold to a RR, what can the larger (RR AI ) stack do about it.

my initial assessment was that 2 large stacks collide and posses probably undominated ranges, that gives a flip and all the equity goes to the other players.
    I guess the point is how long should a big stack go before fighting back-which is a situational thing base on opponents and stack sizes.

I know I fold my blinds too much and the others know, but then again I steal and don't expect calls much, I've said too much...

• edited September 2014
    Second day back at work after nine weeks off.......URGH
    Better news tonight Won three @&pound;5.50 Lost one. Won one at £11.00
    The £11 game was wierd. I am sitting 5th out of 5 with 1000 chips thinking it is going to be tough to cash here, when, out of knowhere ,all I can here in my head is the base line from Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Two Tribes. The two big stacks decide to go to war and one of them busts........ YIPPEE.
    Sometimes you just have to find a fold. (says the guy who could not win a bean on monday evening)
    I have that tune in my head and fully expect to hum it to myself every time I see this happen from now on.
    See you all tomorrow if I can get away from work.....URGH
  • edited September 2014
    Oh the irony.

Mr TK is away in Leeds and the PL08 chat box turns to - Golf and Trains.

Obviously saving all the cake chat for his return.
  • edited September 2014
    Oh the irony. Mr TK is away in Leeds and the PL08 chat box turns to - Golf and Trains. Obviously saving all the cake chat for his return.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Marv!

Just got home, after a truly challenging day, but now it is time to play some pokerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Honestly, can't wait. All my woes melt away when I'm playing our lovely game, it's like a break from real life reality.

Come on then lads, I'm waiting, tonight I am going to.....

Get the lot

Do my conkers

Play for 4 hours & end up where I started.

It'll be fun though.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ! It is a bit "heavy", but it is essential to know. However, many people instinctively "feel it", which is fine. It's like the maths & odds in NLHE, people argue about a few %. Thewy, for example, does not "know" any of the exact numbers, but has a perfect "feel" for pot odds. I would imagine Matt bates, Scotty, TommyD & the like are the same.  I do smile a little when I see a PHA debate arguing about a few % points. It's all guesswork UNLESS we exactly know villain's hand. ICM is a bit uphill to learn at first, but once you get a feel for it, you sort of no longer need it - because it gives you the logic, the theory, the "feel" of what we should do.   And you soon know who does not understand it, when they limp-fold  from a, say, 4 BB stack, or call 80% of their stack when, in reality, they can - or SHOULD - never fold now. Betting 1,000 from 3,000 & a player with 1,200 flat calls is a bit bizarre, but we see it every night.        
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Teeks, just catching up with your diary.
    Although I use ICM most of the time for DoN/SNGs I also find the figures/maths around it very heavy. I used to have one of the odds thingamebobs for ICM but sod if I could ever make much use out of it!!!   lol

The thing I found with it is that it is just guesswork when putting oppos hands/ranges in, so gave up with the maths of it and got rid of said thingamebob.

The best way to learn it is the graft of actually playing. I play it by feel, that has developed simply from playing games/hands.

However ICM can be used in feel situations, you just adjust the ranges, such as for the Geldy situation someone posted.

In your first v second hand that you posted, I personally fold as not only do you still have chips, but the chips you have put in are going to another big stack. If the chips stay with the big stacks you still cash.

Good luck with the rest of the month. Make sure you break the 3k points level

• edited September 2014
    Oh the irony. Mr TK is away in Leeds and the PL08 chat box turns to - Golf and Trains. Obviously saving all the cake chat for his return.
    Posted by Phantom66

Guilty as charged M'lud........lol
  • edited September 2014
    this 'debate' has kind of kicked up an interesting point. if a large open is made and almost certainly wont fold to a RR, what can the larger (RR AI ) stack do about it. my initial assessment was that 2 large stacks collide and posses probably undominated ranges, that gives a flip and all the equity goes to the other players. I guess the point is how long should a big stack go before fighting back-which is a situational thing base on opponents and stack sizes. I know I fold my blinds too much and the others know, but then again I steal and don't expect calls much, I've said too much...
    Posted by suzy666
    Thanks Suzy.

Well that's the key thing. Sure, if there are 2 shorties, the two biggies really ought to avoid each other. But what happens if Biggie One keep raising against Biggie 2? Eventually, something has to give, Biggie 2 has to protect his stack eventually, especially if they think Biggie 1 is exploiting the dynamic.

You fold your blinds too much? I disagree. You are a very good, & I imagine, profitable, player, so if it works, it's fine, never mind "conventional wisdom".

I know lots of the regulars read this thread, but I don't mind them knowing, I rarely, almost never defend my blinds unless I have something. And if I do, they'll soon know about it.

The odd spot for me is in the SB with a good hand, & it has been folded round. I very rarely rauise there, I want to see what Mr BB does first. If he thinks he can raise me off because I limped, he has a surprise in store. I ONLY limp in the SB with hands that I am going to defend a raise with, or even re-raise. Very rare actually, but if I "make up", then the red warning flags ought to go up.    

• edited September 2014

There was a really curious dynamic in one game last night.

I'm sure those involved will not mind me mentioning names, none of what I am saying is negative or critical, but it was all a bit odd & I'm trying to better understand the correct line here. I could try & explain it using "anon" names, but real-life works better.

We were playing a standard PLO8 DYM. "trevil" had doubled up early, but then disconnected. I had plenty of chips, so did gelders. 

Soon, we were 4 handed. Gelders, "plywood", me, & the now long "AWAY" "trevil". 

In these spots, ASSUMING poor Trevil remains "AWAY", we are all guaranteed to win, & we all had more chips than Trevil now.

The "etiquette" here is NOT to mention anything in the chat box, (& nothing was mentioned) but generally, everyone either folds, or if in the SB to the "AWAY" BB, they raise, so every pot is uncontested, & we await the poor absentee to blind away.

However, in the game last night, whilst I was merrily clicking "FOLD" every hand, Gelders & plywood were going at it hammer & tongs, contesting every pot. It's possible one or both had not realised trevil was AWAY, but unlikely I 'd have thought.

I was folding every hand because I was pretty much guaranteed to win if Trevil failed to return, & he'd been absent 20 minutes. I had more chips than trevil, simple. We all did.

I did sort of "expect" Geldy to give me a free ride in my BB (he was button, trevil SB, me BB) but he raised 80% of the hands. I was not in the least bothered, not at all, I can't lose this, so I just kept folding. 

I find these "AWAY" situations quite morally confusing, but I go with the flow.

Anyway, we all cashed, as trevil eventually bled dry, so it all ended well, but it seemed a curious spot to me. For the record, I am NOT dissing Geldy at all, I just found it all interesting, & I'm curious as to his logic here. He is perfectly entitled to keep potting it, make no mistake there. 

You could also argue that using my logic (just fold) we are not being fair to the away man, as we are, implicitly, sort of "colluding". We do it all the time though, if there are 3 biggies & one shortie, the biggies DO gang up on the shortie, nothing improper about that.  

Interesting, I thought.    

• edited September 2014
    Second day back at work after nine weeks off.......URGH Better news tonight Won three @&pound;5.50 Lost one. Won one at £11.00 The £11 game was wierd. I am sitting 5th out of 5 with 1000 chips thinking it is going to be tough to cash here, when, out of knowhere ,all I can here in my head is the base line from Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Two Tribes. The two big stacks decide to go to war and one of them busts........ YIPPEE. Sometimes you just have to find a fold. (says the guy who could not win a bean on monday evening) I have that tune in my head and fully expect to hum it to myself every time I see this happen from now on. See you all tomorrow if I can get away from work.....URGH
    Posted by pompeynic

• edited September 2014
    The "etiquette" here is NOT to mention anything in the chat box, (& nothing was mentioned) but generally, everyone either folds, or if in the SB to the "AWAY" BB, they raise, so every pot is uncontested, & we await the poor absentee to blind away. 

I find these "AWAY" situations quite morally confusing, but I go with the flow.

I'm curious as to his logic here. He is perfectly entitled to keep potting it, make no mistake there.  You could also argue that using my logic (just fold) we are not being fair to the away man, as we are, implicitly, sort of "colluding". We do it all the time though, if there are 3 biggies & one shortie, the biggies DO gang up on the shortie, nothing improper about that.   Interesting, I thought.            
    Posted by Tikay10

You hit the nail on the head with that middle comment Tikay, except I didn't want to go with the flow. That would have meant changing my play from loose aggressive to passive just to take advantage of an away player, and I would not have been happy doing that. If I keep playing my game and someone else joins in then we are at least giving the away guy a fighting chance. Ganging up on a shortie is good dym strategy so i have no problem there, but they still have a chance by playing poker. the away guy has no such luck.

I apologise if I am therefore appearing rude by breaking the social norms in that situation, but i'm not planning to change. Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play.

Happy to be named Teeks, great to discuss these situations, and I know you're not upset with me, just curious.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You hit the nail on the head with that middle comment Tikay, except I didn't want to go with the flow. That would have meant changing my play from loose aggressive to passive just to take advantage of an away player, and I would not have been happy doing that. If I keep playing my game and someone else joins in then we are at least giving the away guy a fighting chance. Ganging up on a shortie is good dym strategy so i have no problem there, but they still have a chance by playing poker. the away guy has no such luck. I apologise if I am therefore appearing rude by breaking the social norms in that situation, but i'm not planning to change. Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play.
    Posted by GELDY
    Absolutely NOT needed, & I half guessed that was your thinking which was why I particularly wanted to air the matter, & do so in a non-critical manner.

It tweaks my conscience to take advantage of the AWAY player, it really does, but when everone else is doing it, I sort of can't help myself, & I join in. Path of least resistance these days, me.

Bully for you for sticking to your principles.

It is quite a controversial/awkward situation really, I bet views will be polarised one way or the other.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :   You hit the nail on the head with that middle comment Tikay, except I didn't want to go with the flow. That would have meant changing my play from loose aggressive to passive just to take advantage of an away player, and I would not have been happy doing that. If I keep playing my game and someone else joins in then we are at least giving the away guy a fighting chance. Ganging up on a shortie is good dym strategy so i have no problem there, but they still have a chance by playing poker. the away guy has no such luck. I apologise if I am therefore appearing rude by breaking the social norms in that situation, but i'm not planning to change. Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play. Happy to be named Teeks, great to discuss these situations, and I know you're not upset with me, just curious.
    Posted by GELDY
    Incidentally, you were not alone - "plywood" was doing exactly the same as you, though I don't know if that was for the same reasons, or if he just did not realise the situation.

I knew you would not mind being named, and yes, I do think is it great to discuss these things like grown-ups, instead of all the "joke", "lol" & "sort it out" nonsense.

It's good to talk.
  • edited September 2014
    'The odd spot for me is in the SB with a good hand, & it has been folded round. I very rarely rauise there, I want to see what Mr BB does first. If he thinks he can raise me off because I limped, he has a surprise in store. I ONLY limp in the SB with hands that I am going to defend a raise with, or even re-raise. Very rare actually, but if I "make up", then the red warning flags ought to go up. '

interesting...however you give mr BB a free ride with whatever garbabe he has. I knocked someone out the other day with TTT3, flopped a T and bye bye limped A's. you could argue that raising in SB with med-good hands is better because they fold poor and some med hands. if its Sb med/good hand vs BB good hands so be it, by your method the moneys going in anyway.

away players are part of he game, If I get disconnected I expect the players to take advantage, and if you forgot you regged and are having tea-tough! IMO players who tangle during the bubble with an away player should be shot.

as for profitability I do ok. I think the £11s are the most profitable as long as theres 1-2 poorer players. at the 3.3 level, its actually harder, cos PF its 3/4 way to the flop=less stealing, at the bubble, people call more hence more variance

anyway, I lost a 5.5 last night RR AI AKQ2s over btn max PFR with BB only having 2.8BB-Doh (I lost)
  • edited September 2014

Incidentally, if the AWAY player had MORE chips than me & I had lost the game, I might just have been a bit peeved.

Which, in reality, does not change a thing, not one iota, as the "dilemma" thing remains exactly what it is.

So yes, I'd have been peeved, but I'd not have thought any less of you, it is your perfect right to play any way you wish within the rules.

• edited September 2014
    ' The odd spot for me is in the SB with a good hand, & it has been folded round. I very rarely rauise there, I want to see what Mr BB does first. If he thinks he can raise me off because I limped, he has a surprise in store. I ONLY limp in the SB with hands that I am going to defend a raise with, or even re-raise. Very rare actually, but if I "make up", then the red warning flags ought to go up. ' interesting...however you give mr BB a free ride with whatever garbabe he has. I knocked someone out the other day with TTT3, flopped a T and bye bye limped A's. you could argue that raising in SB with med-good hands is better because they fold poor and some med hands. if its Sb med/good hand vs BB good hands so be it, by your method the moneys going in anyway. away players are part of he game, If I get disconnected I expect the players to take advantage, and if you forgot you regged and are having tea-tough! IMO players who tangle during the bubble with an away player should be shot. as for profitability I do ok. I think the £11s are the most profitable as long as theres 1-2 poorer players. at the 3.3 level, its actually harder, cos PF its 3/4 way to the flop=less stealing, at the bubble, people call more hence more variance anyway, I lost a 5.5 last night RR AI AKQ2s over btn max PFR with BB only having 2.8BB-Doh (I lost)
    Posted by suzy666
    Well yes, on balance, I prefer not to play OOP with mediocre holdings. It's just part of my overall game plan. Unless I am short of chips, (don't go there....) I can find a better spot.

Tangling with AWAY players on the bubble? There you go, that's the thing, we all see that different. I tend to dislike it, & sort of think "sigh", but they do have the perfect right to do it.

Very interesting topic!

• edited September 2014

Whilst on the topic of "odd spots".....

In one £11 DYM last night, there were FIVE of us left at 400-800.

So, with 12,000 chips in play, the average stack was 2,400, which equates to THREE Bigs each!

Think that's called "shallow stacks". One chap - the chippie with 5 Bigs (!) actually LIMPED in twice.   
  • edited September 2014

The four handed situation, with one player away, and two players still going at it, is about 78 thousand times more a common thing in NLH DYMs than in PLO8.
    Funny old world and all that, to each their own. You pays your money and all that malarkey.

I don't understand what you meant tho Gelders, by saying this..
    "Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play"

I'm either blind or daft, but who on earth is upset?!  I wish we had a hundred more Gelders come play the game and I'm sure everyone who plays it a bit, feels exactly the same.

PS. Tikay, top marks with your spite-raise chat-box comment! Loved it.

• edited September 2014
    The four handed situation, with one player away, and two players still going at it, is about 78 thousand times more a common thing in NLH DYMs than in PLO8. Funny old world and all that, to each their own. You pays your money and all that malarkey. I don't understand what you meant tho Gelders, by saying this.. "Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play" I'm either blind or daft, but who on earth is upset?!  I wish we had a hundred more Gelders come play the game and I'm sure everyone who plays it a bit, feels exactly the same. PS. Tikay, top marks with your spite-call chat-box comment! Loved it.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Now then, several ppoints to make.

Fist up, the honour (?) of the 2,000th Post on the 100th page of this thread goes to Twiglet, congrats.

What Gelders meant, I believe, by "upset some more ploppers", is that some players were getting a bit hot under the collar with Geldy's aggressive style earlier this week, all that "really" nonsense. There is no evidence that Geldy has lost any sleep over it though....

Lol @ my "SPITE CALL".  I don't recall the exact hands, but I had a great hand, & you had a (much) greater hand (Aces I think) & Spite-Busted me. BOOM! That'll teach me.....

Love this game, we do our conkers & still lol about it.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now then, several ppoints to make. Fist up, the honour (?) of the 2,000th Post on the 100th page of this thread goes to Twiglet, congrats. What Gelders meant, I believe, by "upset some more ploppers", is that some players were getting a bit hot under the collar with Geldy's aggressive style earlier this week, all that "really" nonsense. There is no evidence that Geldy has lost any sleep over it though.... Lol @ my "SPITE CALL".  I don't recall the exact hands, but I had a great hand, & you had a (much) greater hand (Aces I think) & Spite-Busted me. BOOM! That'll teach me..... Love this game, we do our conkers & still lol about it.
    Posted by Tikay10

Excuse me !!!
  • edited September 2014
    Whilst on the topic of "odd spots"..... In one £11 DYM last night, there were FIVE of us left at 400-800. So, with 12,000 chips in play, the average stack was 2,400, which equates to THREE Bigs each! Think that's called "shallow stacks". One chap - the chippie with 5 Bigs (!) actually LIMPED in twice.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Pretty sure I was one of the players here (not the big stack obviously, I never am at the moment). I think it was this one where every time two other players got it all in pre they chopped it, happened so many times I was sitting here laughing at it, knowing that as soon as I got it all in pre I would be busted. I was right too.

Also  a couple of days ago Nick (pompeynic) was 'away' and got blinded down to less than 1 BB, he then won that one (while still away) and I think another hand while away. Then  he came back and I busted a couple of hands later.

I could play against 5 players who are 'away' at the moment and I suspect I would go out in 4th.

On the other side of variance was a small £5.50 PLO8 MTT last night when I won it !!!!! Must have run good then!