You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited September 2014
    I wonder if it's Karma!
    I follow the unwritten rule of folding round when there's an 'away' player. Often I'll be folding 'big' hands. (I always smile when somebody has a pop at someone for continuing to play and they always respond with 'had aces') it's amazing how many times one player can get aces in one Dym.
    The karma bit is because it's happened many times now that the 'away' player has returned and gone on to knock me out.

It really is a tough one. It does feel wrong but at the same time, how silly do you feel when a guys been sitting out for 15 mins, unlikely to return, and you knock yourself out?
  • edited September 2014

Ooh, one more oddity from last night. Must have been quite a night!

In one game, I near busted Twiglet very first orbit, she was left with 30 (THIRTY) chips I think.

Somehow she ran that up to over 2,000 at one stage.

I don't recall if she won it though. Be epic if I busted her with a spite call after that comeback.

Please tell me I did?

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I wonder if it's Karma! I follow the unwritten rule of folding round when there's an 'away' player. Often I'll be folding 'big' hands. (I always smile when somebody has a pop at someone for continuing to play and they always respond with 'had aces') it's amazing how many times one player can get aces in one Dym. The karma bit is because it's happened many times now that the 'away' player has returned and gone on to knock me out. It really is a tough one. It does feel wrong but at the same time, how silly do you feel when a guys been sitting out for 15 mins, unlikely to return, and you knock yourself out?
    Posted by Jac35
    Which once again shows what an intersting & difficult area all this is.

• edited September 2014
    The four handed situation, with one player away, and two players still going at it, is about 78 thousand times more a common thing in NLH DYMs than in PLO8. Funny old world and all that, to each their own. You pays your money and all that malarkey. I don't understand what you meant tho Gelders, by saying this.. "Guess that'll have to be another group of ploppers that i upset with my play" I'm either blind or daft, but who on earth is upset?!  I wish we had a hundred more Gelders come play the game and I'm sure everyone who plays it a bit, feels exactly the same. PS. Tikay, top marks with your spite-call chat-box comment! Loved it.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    thanks for the kind words, I guess I don't need to fear any exploding twiglets, just dodge some spite-calls. But after the latest comments I've put in an order to some of my Taiwanese friends, just in case there's an away player on my table.

• edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Which once again shows what an intersting & difficult area all this is.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Are you going to keep me in suspense for much longer waiting for your response?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Are you going to keep me in suspense for much longer waiting for your response?
    Posted by Jac35
    Yes.

;)

Just so much going off right now.

Not reported my Daily Numbers for 2 days. The readers may be on the edge of their seat, wondering if I made a fortune during those 2 days, or held above the £1,400 threshold. Twiglet may be worrying about how I am managing financially. Might even put her off her food.   

PS - Your post (on your thread) needs a proper, considered, reply, as it was so good, & touched on some very delicate areas.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes. ;) Just so much going off right now. Not reported my Daily Numbers for 2 days. The readers may be on the edge of their seat, wondering if I made a fortune during those 2 days, or held above the £1,400 threshold. Twiglet may be worrying about how I am managing financially. Might even put her off her food.    PS - Your post (on your thread) needs a proper, considered, reply, as it was so good, & touched on some very delicate areas.
    Posted by Tikay10
    :)
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : :)
    Posted by Jac35
    talking about keeping in suspense when are you coming back to plopper land. last i saw was Tikay declaring war and since then zilch. hit & run or yellow?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : talking about keeping in suspense when are you coming back to plopper land. last i saw was Tikay declaring war and since then zilch. hit & run or yellow?
    Posted by GELDY
    Bit of both actually.
    Hit and run with a quick £50 loss from next to no games.
    Yellow when Tikay started threatening me
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Bit of both actually. Hit and run with a quick £50 loss from next to no games. Yellow when Tikay started threatening me
    Posted by Jac35
    touché

formatting hint: write some text after the point you want the smiley before inserting it - then there's a good chance you can continue where you left off.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Teeks, just catching up with your diary. Although I use ICM most of the time for DoN/SNGs I also find the figures/maths around it very heavy. I used to have one of the odds thingamebobs for ICM but sod if I could ever make much use out of it!!!   lol The thing I found with it is that it is just guesswork when putting oppos hands/ranges in, so gave up with the maths of it and got rid of said thingamebob. The best way to learn it is the graft of actually playing. I play it by feel, that has developed simply from playing games/hands. However ICM can be used in feel situations, you just adjust the ranges, such as for the Geldy situation someone posted. In your first v second hand that you posted, I personally fold as not only do you still have chips, but the chips you have put in are going to another big stack. If the chips stay with the big stacks you still cash. Good luck with the rest of the month. Make sure you break the 3k points level
    Posted by hagisboy
    ICM? Exactly. Lots of hot air in that department, imo.

3,000 Reward Points in September? No danger, I'm on course to reach 3,000 at 10.27 tomorrow evening. Just need to try & not lose the £45 back playing the games....

• edited September 2014

23rd SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 31

Won 14

Lost 17

£3.30, P 11, W 3, L 8

£5.50, P 14, W 7 L 7

£11, P 6, W 4, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,411.05

Closing Balance = £1,399.75

Profit/Loss on Night - £11.30

Profit/Loss on Month = £40.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 163

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,545 (= £25.45)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 552

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 313

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 56.70%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.07
  • edited September 2014

That was Tuesday, & I dropped back below £1,400 AGAIN.

Only by £0.25, but yikes, I'm struggling to gain traction here.
  • edited September 2014

24th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 31

Won 17

Lost 14

£3.30, P 15, W 9, L 6

£5.50, P 11, W 4 L 7

£11, P 5, W 4, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,399.75

Closing Balance = £1,408.75

Profit/Loss on Night - £9.00

Profit/Loss on Month = £49.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 150

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,695 (= £26.95)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 583

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 330

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 56.60%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.09
  • edited September 2014

...and back above £1,400, lol.

Not great numbers, but the £11ers saved me, won 8 from 11 over the last 2 days. About time too.
  • edited September 2014
    ...and back above £1,400, lol. Not great numbers, but the £11ers saved me, won 8 from 11 over the last 2 days. About time too.
    Posted by Tikay10
    They would probably be the same 8 from 11 £11ers that I have lost over the same period. Happy to help out, don't want to think of you having to go to the food bank again!
  • edited September 2014
    There was a really curious dynamic in one game last night. I'm sure those involved will not mind me mentioning names, none of what I am saying is negative or critical, but it was all a bit odd & I'm trying to better understand the correct line here. I could try & explain it using "anon" names, but real-life works better.   We were playing a standard PLO8 DYM. "trevil" had doubled up early, but then disconnected. I had plenty of chips, so did gelders.  Soon, we were 4 handed. Gelders, "plywood", me, & the now long "AWAY" "trevil".  In these spots, ASSUMING poor Trevil remains "AWAY", we are all guaranteed to win, & we all had more chips than Trevil now.   The "etiquette" here is NOT to mention anything in the chat box, (& nothing was mentioned) but generally, everyone either folds, or if in the SB to the "AWAY" BB, they raise, so every pot is uncontested, & we await the poor absentee to blind away.   However, in the game last night, whilst I was merrily clicking "FOLD" every hand, Gelders & plywood were going at it hammer & tongs, contesting every pot. It's possible one or both had not realised trevil was AWAY, but unlikely I 'd have thought.   I was folding every hand because I was pretty much guaranteed to win if Trevil failed to return, & he'd been absent 20 minutes. I had more chips than trevil, simple. We all did. I did sort of "expect" Geldy to give me a free ride in my BB (he was button, trevil SB, me BB) but he raised 80% of the hands. I was not in the least bothered, not at all, I can't lose this, so I just kept folding.  I find these "AWAY" situations quite morally confusing, but I go with the flow. Anyway, we all cashed, as trevil eventually bled dry, so it all ended well, but it seemed a curious spot to me. For the record, I am NOT dissing Geldy at all, I just found it all interesting, & I'm curious as to his logic here. He is perfectly entitled to keep potting it, make no mistake there.  You could also argue that using my logic (just fold) we are not being fair to the away man, as we are, implicitly, sort of "colluding". We do it all the time though, if there are 3 biggies & one shortie, the biggies DO gang up on the shortie, nothing improper about that.   Interesting, I thought.            
    Posted by Tikay10

Just glad it did not happen on a table I'm on as I hate that as I find it disrespectful.
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just glad it did not happen on a table I'm on as I hate that as I find it disrespectful.
    Posted by Hotwheals
    but if you are playing hu with someone and he discos you wouldn't blind him out asap would you? And if not why shouldn't one be considerate in a dym? 
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : but if you are playing hu with someone and he discos you wouldn't blind him out asap would you? And if not why shouldn't one be considerate in a dym? 
    Posted by GELDY
    Different situation entirely.
    Could it not be argued that you're being inconsiderate to the 2 players that are there in the dym on the bubble when you're keeping the away guy in the game?
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Different situation entirely. Could it not be argued that you're being inconsiderate to the 2 players that are there in the dym on the bubble when you're keeping the away guy in the game?
    Posted by Jac35

Well that would seem to be what is being argued here. But they can play poker whereas the discoed guy can't. I'm playing to try to beat them at poker, not to mug the away guy. 

• edited September 2014

Quick shout-out to "retropete", who told me last night that he reads this every day.

You the man, Pete.
  • edited September 2014

There was blood on the walls last night, I got proper beaten up, worst night I can recall in an age, lost a bomb, woe is me, bla bla bla.

But we don't want to hear that, do we?

This photo (below) suddenly appeared on another forum this morning. It was the name of a Team of my friends (?) in the 2009 WSOP "Dream Team" thing.

Feel free to mock, all of you. 

Except Macac, of course, who described this Diary as "Miserable old g it talks about concrete".

No need, no need at all for all this abuse.

• edited September 2014
    WARNING - If your eating (Mac) you may want to look away now!

Well you asked me on the show the other night to send a selfie in !

Here it is, a few hours after fitting.

• edited September 2014
    Hi

Yes, i do read this every morning , the things I've learnt about concrete and trains is astounding ;)

Thanks for the shout out  - even got me to write my first forum post .

cheers

pete
  • edited September 2014

I'll post yesterday's numbers now.

With any luck, Vespa's photo of his head scaffold will divert attention away from my own little accident.....
  • edited September 2014

25th SEPTEMBER Scores on the Doors.

Played 30

Won 11

Lost 19

£3.30, P 9, W 3, L 6

£5.50, P 13, W 6 L 7

£11, P 8, W 2, L 6

Opening Balance - £1,408.75

Closing Balance = £1,337.55

Profit/Loss on Night - £71.20

Profit/Loss on Month = £21.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 167

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 2,867 (= £28.67)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 613

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 341

SEPTEMBER WIN % = 55.62%

SEPTEMBER Profit/Loss per game = £0.04
  • edited September 2014

Well at least it was consistent - lost at every level!

Ended up winning just 11 of 30.

The temptation is to blame variance, but hard to lose that many in one night & not do something wrong. Just seemed to lose every 60-40, even when I dominated both ends, I still managed to find ways to lose. Towards the end, I'm pretty sure my game suffered, too, I started getting all nitty & defensive.

Started off with a purler, when I flopped a boat on a 7-4-4 flop, I had the a pair of 7's AND the 4, BOOM. Matey Boy (who did nothing wrong, I might add), had the case 7, with an ace. Turn & river came running Aces, pfft. Awesome stuff!

Anyway, no point chuntering, it's done now, & I have 5 days left to get back into profit, & avoid my first losing month. I'm 'rolled ok to stand a night or two like that, but for those on thin bankrolls, that has to hurt a bit.

Had a GREAT game against Hotty, jod67, & another chap, £11er & we got to 400-800. That was one of the 2 @ £11 I won. Don't think we need to discuss the 6 I lost.....

Joddy is a great lad, Glasweigan I believe. Does not play conventionally, fold equity & stack sizes, or "big stack v big stack" never bothers him, he just plays most every hand, limpy limpy cally cally. Fearless, utterly fearless, & I love playing against him, as he is a real test. Anyway, he must have got the lot last night, good luck to him. 

See you later. 

The £1,400 threshold? Can't even see it now, it's way over the horizon. The £1,300 line is more of a worry now. ;)    

• edited September 2014
    WARNING - If your eating (Mac) you may want to look away now! Well you asked me on the show the other night to send a selfie in ! Here it is, a few hours after fitting.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Incred photo.

Must resist the temptation to start a Caption Comp.....
  • edited September 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Incred photo. Must resist the temptation to start a Caption Comp.....
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm sure i'll get a few.
    Hope your run bad turns around soon
  • edited September 2014

Oh, go on then.

Caption comp.....

A mod shows off Sky Poker's latest gadget to stop players limping....

Joking apart Mick, hope you are back on your feet soon mate and it isnt too painful for ya.