You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2014
    You've upset me Tikay
  • edited November 2014
  • edited November 2014

25th November

£3.30, P8, W3, L5

£5.50, P2, W1, L1

£11,00, P0, W0, L0

TOTAL for the session, P10, W4, L6 = 4
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P70, W47, L23, = 67%

Opening Balance - £1,485.38

Closing Balance = £1,475.98

Profit/Loss for Session = £9.40

Profit/Loss for November £133.23
  • edited November 2014

Boo!

Well the heater ended in spectacular style last night, when I lost the last 5 games in a row, after winning 4 of the first 5.

Can't complain, I've run incredibly hot recently, so it was payback time.

• edited November 2014

One of the hands made me really think last night.

We see this scenario EVERY day, & we love it, because, invariably, we win these coups & so don't think too deeply about it.

But it's so odd the way people think. 

The coup was pretty standard, but for context, 4 of us left, Blinds 150-300, & we all have approx equal stacks.

Chap now LIMPS in first to speak, Button folds, SB makes up. Great spot for me to jam my A-A-2-x, which I do.

Mr Limp now re-shoves for very little more, which is of course better than peeling & leaving no Fold Equity.

His hand was A-J-9-6. 

Why would you do that? If we think our hand is worth going to war with, why would we limp for 300 & then be prepared to get the lot in? Why not raise in the first place? It's not that A-J-9-6 - or ANY PLO8 hand - is a "trapping hand", is it?

The first fundamental of poker I ever learned was "two ways to win" (being the shover not the caller) is always better than one way to win (calling).

The mysteries of poker, eh?

PS - Oh yeah, the flop was 9-9-J, SCOOPIO!

• edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    One of the hands made me really think last night. We see this scenario EVERY day, & we love it, because, invariably, we win these coups & so don't think too deeply about it. But it's so odd the way people think.  The coup was pretty standard, but for context, 4 of us left, Blinds 150-300, & we all have approx equal stacks. Chap now LIMPS in first to speak, Button folds, SB makes up. Great spot for me to jam my A-A-2-x, which I do.   Mr Limp now re-shoves for very little more, which is of course better than peeling & leaving no Fold Equity. His hand was A-J-9-6.  Why would you do that? If we think our hand is worth going to war with, why would we limp for 300 & then be prepared to get the lot in? Why not raise in the first place? It's not that A-J-9-6 - or ANY PLO8 hand - is a "trapping hand", is it? The first fundamental of poker I ever learned was "two ways to win" (being the shover not the caller) is always better than one way to win (calling).   The mysteries of poker, eh? PS - Oh yeah, the flop was 9-9-J, SCOOPIO!   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Holding A9 - how dare he !!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    VespaPX Small blind   100.00 100.00 1750.00
    hellofishy Big blind   200.00 300.00 1920.00
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • Q

churchy18 Fold        
    XXKIPXX Fold        
    tikay1 Raise   700.00 1000.00 235.00
    VespaPX Call   600.00 1600.00 1150.00
    hellofishy Fold        
    Flop

• A
    • A

VespaPX Bet   800.00 2400.00 350.00
    tikay1 All-in   235.00 2635.00 0.00
    VespaPX Unmatched bet   565.00 2070.00 915.00
    VespaPX Show
    • A
    • Q

tikay1 Show
    • A
    • K

Turn

• J

River

• K

tikay1 Win high Full House, Aces and Kings 2070.00   2070.00
      No qualifying low hand        
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Holding A9 - how dare he !!! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance VespaPX Small blind   100.00 100.00 1750.00 hellofishy Big blind   200.00 300.00 1920.00   Your hole cards A Q 5 2       churchy18 Fold         XXKIPXX Fold         tikay1 Raise   700.00 1000.00 235.00 VespaPX Call   600.00 1600.00 1150.00 hellofishy Fold         Flop     9 A A       VespaPX Bet   800.00 2400.00 350.00 tikay1 All-in   235.00 2635.00 0.00 VespaPX Unmatched bet   565.00 2070.00 915.00 VespaPX Show A Q 5 2       tikay1 Show 6 A K 9       Turn     J       River     K       tikay1 Win high Full House, Aces and Kings 2070.00   2070.00   No qualifying low hand        
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha!

Except I RAISED, & I only had 4.5 Bigs..........

That's the WHOLE point!

If I limped-called, yeah, shocker, but I RAISED.

Obv, being me, I flopped a boat, then improved to a bigger boat. I run good. ;)
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Except I RAISED, & I only had 4.5 Bigs.......... That's the WHOLE point! If I limped-called, yeah, shocker, but I RAISED.   Obv, being me, I flopped a boat, then improved to a bigger boat. I run good. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yeh i know.
    Just wanted to show how badly i've been playing recently.
    I mean why did i just call.....should have re-potted.

Itching to get back playing but know i'm not in the right frame of mind just yet.

7 days to go before the scaffolding comes down !
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yeh i know. Just wanted to show how badly i've been playing recently. I mean why did i just call.....should have re-potted. Itching to get back playing but know i'm not in the right frame of mind just yet. 7 days to go before the scaffolding comes down !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ahh, gotcha.

Yes (you already know this) but you have to either fold or re-raise all-in there, as it's obvious that after investing 700 of my 935 pre-flop, I sure ain't folding.

For balance, in your shoes, I happily get it all-in with your hand, A-Q 5-2 must be crushing my 4.5 Bigs "range".

You had nut low, & were only a spot behind for the high, but because you are running bad, there was no low.

It'll turn soon enough, & you are good enough to beat the game.

I do think that "run-bad" makes us "play-bad" though, I'm pretty sure that's the case with me.

• edited November 2014
    I do think that "run-bad" makes us "play-bad" though, I'm pretty sure that's the case with me.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'd go along with that. I've had a pretty brutal stretch at the £3.30s over the last couple of weeks, losing 12 out of the last 13 (and 20 of the last 23) with the result that I've decided to swerve them for a while and try and rebuild both my bank roll and my confidence at the lower levels. Looking back at hand histories it is a real combination of run band and play bad coming together which has hit me.

Lucky I'm still doing OK at the 60p ones to main a more-or-less 60% on Macac's challenge although I will end up showing a loss in financial terms even if I creep that up to over 65%
  • edited November 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'd go along with that. I've had a pretty brutal stretch at the £3.30s over the last couple of weeks, losing 12 out of the last 13 (and 20 of the last 23) with the result that I've decided to swerve them for a while and try and rebuild both my bank roll and my confidence at the lower levels. Looking back at hand histories it is a real combination of run band and play bad coming together which has hit me. Lucky I'm still doing OK at the 60p ones to main a more-or-less 60% on Macac's challenge although I will end up showing a loss in financial terms even if I creep that up to over 65%
    Posted by FCHD
    Wow, I know I say it again & again, but what an incredible thing variance is.

I've shared scores (hundreds) of tables with you, & you do everything correctly. Very good starting ranges, prefer to bet than call, almost never peel, & don't bleed chips by limping into every hand, or even worse, the ultimate sin in all forms of poker, limp-call. 

I'm stunned you could lose 20 of 23, I really am.

But as you say, & I said yesterday, I'm pretty sure when we are running bad, we don't play as well as we can.  

I very much hope it soon turns for you. When it does, you'll really be all the more thankful.

All the regulars have had to endure it from time to time - Macac, Vespa, Nick, Old Eon, it's part & parcel of poker. Don't make it any easier to bear though.

• edited November 2014

26th November

£3.30, P9, W4, L5

£5.50, P1, W0, L1

£11,00, P0, W0, L0

TOTAL for the session, P10, W4, L6 = 4
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P80, W51, L29, = 64%

Opening Balance - £1,475.98

Closing Balance = £1,464.78

Profit/Loss for Session = £11.20

Profit/Loss for November £122.03
  • edited November 2014

Well after 7 winning sessions in s row, I've now lost 2 nights running.

I was lacking a bit of focus last night, so may have made a few weak plays (I can clearly recall 2 of them), but it was just one of those nights.

Anyway, even after those two bad nights, I'm still on 64% of games won in November. I'd have happily accepted 60% before the month started. Doubt I've ever managed much more than 60% over a month, & I'm perfectly happy with 60%. 

Anyway, the month has 4 days left, so I could yet sink below 60%! 

I plan to get the 100 game challenge wrapped up by tomorrow (maybe even tonight), then maybe have two big sessions at the weekend to finish the month & get some volume in.

It's Thanksgiving in the USA today (I think), so a big programme of NFL games on Sky Sports tonight, which I hope to watch, really looking forward to that.

• edited November 2014

Just a quick look at the results gives an easy conclusion. Accept you are getting old and play less games in a night.

So not accepting getting old  and playing 10 games = 4/10 and 4/10
      Accepting getting old and only playing 4 games  =  4/4 and 3/4

But in all seriousness these are overall good numbers and a lot of run good could still grab you the plopper title
  • edited November 2014
      Just a quick look at the results gives an easy conclusion. Accept you are getting old and play less games in a night.   So not accepting getting old  and playing 10 games = 4/10 and 4/10   Accepting getting old and only playing 4 games  =  4/4 and 3/4  But in all seriousness these are overall good numbers and a lot of run good could still grab you the plopper title
    Posted by Talon
    ;)

Thanks Colin.

I look like finishing in the low sixties, 62% or 63%, give or take, so I'll be reasonably happy with that. It beats my long term average, so have to be pleased & either I played better than normal, or I ran above ev. More likely a bit of both, I think.

I shall finish my first 100 tonight.

I might just then go on a big DYM weekend to pump up my Reward Points before Midnight Sunday, when the Reward Points close for the month, maybe play 30 or 40 per day. November has been my lowest volume since my DYM challenge began actually.   
  • edited November 2014

27th November

£3.30, P8, W6, L2

£5.50, P2, W1, L1

£11,00, P0, W0, L0

TOTAL for the session, P10, W7, L3 = 7
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P90, W58, L32, = 64%

Opening Balance - £1,464.78

Closing Balance = £1,473.38

Profit/Loss for Session = £8.60

Profit/Loss for November £130.63
  • edited November 2014

Got back on the winning trail last night, won 7 from 10. Oddly, lost the first 2, then won 7 of the next 8, finishing with a five timer.

The month ends on Sunday, & despite low volume this month, I am £130 ahead at the moment, so unless I blow it in the next few sessions, it'll be a satisfactory month.

I seem to have at last got over the £1,400 barrier, which had been a problem for months, so the next obstacle is getting above £1,500. It feels SO close, & yet....... 

• edited November 2014

As Ambo is not only representing Sky Poker, but in part, each and every one of us, can you please ask him to brush his hair before the live thingy starts. Thanks. I wouldn't be too impressed if he makes a show of us all by turning up looking like Wurzel Gummidge.

No doubt C. Moorman will also be playing at the live wotsit. Now that Chris is playing here, I hope that our Ambo, reminds him of the Sky Poker Rewards scheme. It would clearly be a neglection of duty if he didn't.

• edited November 2014
    [QUOTE]As Ambo is not only representing Sky Poker, but in part, each and every one of us, can you please ask him to brush his hair before the live thingy starts. Thanks. I wouldn't be too impressed if he makes a show of us all by turning up looking like Wurzel Gummidge. No doubt C. Moorman will also be playing at the live wotsit. Now that Chris is playing here, I hope that our Ambo, reminds him of the Sky Poker Rewards scheme. It would clearly be a neglection of duty if he didn't.
    Posted by Macacgirl1

Any better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSFEoP3YY3g&feature=youtu.be
  • edited November 2014

28th November

£3.30, P7, W6, L1

£5.50, P2, W0, L2

£11,00, P1, W1, L0

TOTAL for the session, P10, W7, L3 = 7
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P100, W65, L35, = 65%

Opening Balance - £1,473.38

Closing Balance = £1,484.28

Profit/Loss for Session = £10.90

Profit/Loss for November £141.53
  • edited November 2014

Now that 100 game thingie is finished (for me) I might just have a big weekend today & tomorrow, & get some volume in.

I'll not be best pleased if I blow that profit though.

Am earning an abverage of £0.69 per game in November so far, which is good for me, but 100 games is not much of a sample size really.

I only have 550 Reward Points so far this month, so I'm half-tempted to go for 1,000 points, which is a big ask in 2 days. Or I might just slob in front of the TV, & lock up a pleasingly profitable month.....
  • edited November 2014
    Hi ,well done on your results,am so pleased for you. Just thought I would pop in to let you know I have an update on my up coming you know what as I know you like to keep up to date. Good luck with your next 100 and I hope to join in at some point.oh and Neil Channing, fantastic scoop for sky, I could listen to him all day long,he seems like a really nice down to earth bloke with a shed load of interesting stories, I so much look forward to seeing more of him,and your good self on TV.
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Tony
    It is good to be back although I would prefer not to play like a wally.
    Pity about Karen who else will help me torture you in the chat box?.................MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR
    Seriously good to see you all on the tables not sure how much I will be able to play but will try to play more in December.
    Nick
  • edited November 2014
    Hi Tony It is good to be back although I would prefer not to play like a wally. Pity about Karen who else will help me torture you in the chat box?.................MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRRR Seriously good to see you all on the tables not sure how much I will be able to play but will try to play more in December. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Great to see you back nic, and of course; torture, MOTHERRRRRR and mr k go very well together muahahaha

See you at the tables

Mother
    xx
  • edited December 2014

Time to do my end of month numbers.

Feels a bit like when we used to get a "School Report" at the end of each term. 

First, the last 2 days numbers then....

• edited December 2014

29th November

£3.30, P19, W12, L7

£5.50, P9, W3, L6

£11,00, P2, W0, L2

TOTAL for the session, P30, W15, L15 = 5
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P130, W80, L50, = 62%

Opening Balance - £1,484.28

Closing Balance = £1,446.08

Profit/Loss for Session = £38.20

Profit/Loss for November £103.33
  • edited December 2014

BOOM - not.

Incred really, how I always seem to throw a really bad session in close to the month end.

Suppose it makes no difference in the greater scheme of things, but psychologically, it just feels bad.

No real excuses, don't think I was quite on my game, & the ones I lost were the bigger ones which distorts the totals disproportionately.

Onwards &......

• edited December 2014

30th November

£3.30, P14, W9, L5

£5.50, P11, W7, L4

£11,00, P6, W3, L3

TOTAL for the session, P31, W19, L12 =
    %

TOTAL for the Month, P161, W99, L62, = 61.5%

Opening Balance - £1,446.08

Closing Balance = £1,457.38

Profit/Loss for Session = £11.30

Profit/Loss for November £114.63
  • edited December 2014

Coulda-shoulda-woulda.....

Better night, though I was more than a shade unforch two lose 2 of the £11ers in comedy circumstances, which makes a monsta difference to the night's numbbers.

Anyway, overall not too bad a night, & most enjoyable.
  • edited December 2014

November Summary

I have added in my Reward Points cash (not received yet) of £8.29.

The numbers also include a small sum (£45 I think?) I won in the UKOPS Omaha Tourney, which sort of flatters the figures a bit.

TOTAL for the Month, P161, W99, L62, = 61.5%

November Opening Balance - £1,342.65

Closing Balance = £1,465.76

Profit/Loss for November £123.11

Profit/Loss per game = £0.76 (reduces to approx £0.50 per game after netting off the Omaha MTT)