You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Tony,

Happy New Year, and thanks for your support and advice in 2014.
    Looking at your figures, i think that you should be very proud of those numbers. 
    You are earning on average £10 per week in 2014, to do something you love and enjoy.You are also being entertained for numerous hours with friends, so PL08 must be the best value for money entertainment in the world. 
    Congratulations on the numbers, they are a great achievement.
    See you on the PL08 tables,
    Be lucky,

Andrew.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    ...and Finally. So, my poker P & L for 2014 was..... Operning Balance £955.81 Closing Balance, incl Reward Points due but not yet paid = £1,520.48 I have not Deposited or withdrawn in 2014, so...... 2014 Profit = £565.29
    Posted by Tikay10
    Pretty good Tikay and remember along the way you have helped many, many players become acquainted with the lovely game of PLO8 as well as fighting enough fires at Sky that they should make you honorary Fire Chief.

I hope 2015 brings you everything you want and look forward to a few more battles and chats on the tables.

p.s. If Macca doesn't point out that she won 4 times that amount in 5 hours in essentially a freeroll then she is missing a trick! 
  • edited January 2015

Whilst on the subject (sort of) of declining mental capacity, three weeks ago I came out of ASDA and to my dismay found that the car had been stolen. Phoned home to ask to be picked up and explained what happened. Response I got? "You dippy $%^&$$£, you didn't drive there, you got a taxi"

Very Happy New Year Mr. K and one and all.

• edited January 2015
    Mr Tikay sir,

If you are not too busy providing care in the community to disgruntled promotion seekers could you please spare a moment to read and comment on this thread...

1. I would be really interested to know your views
    2. It would be great to draw more attention to the thread and hopefully fellow ploppers will follow suit

Cheers,

A.Fellow Plopper
  • edited January 2015
    Mr Tikay sir, If you are not too busy providing care in the community to disgruntled promotion seekers could you please spare a moment to read and comment on this thread... https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=show_static&page=poker_community_forums&plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3a57795ac2-1793-4377-b4cf-e124b0f555f4Forum%3adf77f82c-151f-4bea-aae1-fb423dcae1faDiscussion%3afb5801d8-17eb-4c52-9068-6fbd952c128e 1. I would be really interested to know your views 2. It would be great to draw more attention to the thread and hopefully fellow ploppers will follow suit Cheers, A.Fellow Plopper
    Posted by Phantom66
    Ha!

It's not been the easiest of weeks on the Community, has it?

I was expecting it, though. The Business is giving away (in exchange, of course, for extra traffic) over £60,000, which seems to be a very hard thing to do without upsetting a lot of players. We live in such strange times. if I hear or read "it's not fair" one more time I think I'll throw a hissy fit. Quietly, & under my breath, of course.

Anyway, no, I had not visited that thread, not really had time, been so busy, here & elsewhere, with various, you know, stuff & things.

I'll go take a proper look now, & comment accordingly.

Thanks for the nudge.
  • edited January 2015

3rd January today, & I've yet to play a single hand of poker in 2015. 

Think I'll rectify that today, & hit the tables later. 

Not really decided "where to go" next, whether to stick with the PLO8 DYM's, maybe try the same trick in PLO, or even have a bash at MTT's for a week or two.

When I started the Challenge, I was making pots of money every month, but the standard of play improved dramatically (or my standard declined) & it became a lot tougher. No less enjoyable, though, that litle "buzz" we feel before every session never goes away. "Tonight, I'm going to get the lot" sorta thing.

Maybe the same cycle would repeat at PLO?  

• edited January 2015

I returned to the Tables yesterday for my maiden outing in 2015.

As I've not yet decided what my "challenge" will be this month/year, or whether I'll just continue "as is", so I will not do a full "Daily Numbers Update" yet awhile. It must be a pretty boring read anyway, I only do it because it's very importsnt to keep a handle on numbers as we go along, so as we can a) keep accurate records & b) know when things are going wrong, so at to make adjustments before the problem gets too bad.

So, a sort of interim mini update follows.

• edited January 2015

2015 Opening Balance = £1,520.48*

3rd January.

£3.30, P1, W1

£5.50, P3, W2

£11, P1 W1

Total = P5, W4, L1

Profit on day £15.20

Closing balance £1,535.68*

* - These numbers include £52.50 Reward Points payment due from December but not yet received.
  • edited January 2015

So, I eased my way back in yesterday with a short, sharp, mini-session of 5 games.

I had been thinking about making a few tweaks to my game, mainly calling ranges, so I thought I'd try my ideas out, nice & gently in a quiet session.

I had planned just to play £5.50 & £11 games, but I eventually sat in a £3.30 game to help me keep my focus, I can't really concentrate properly when single-tabling.

Anyway, the £11er soon started, & it was a pretty tough table, too, but that's OK, I don't mind, & in a way, it's easier, as we can better "read" their plays. 

Very first hand I find Aces, good ones too, (Happy New Year!), A-A-3-7 DS, that's a Top 25 hand.

Good Aces late in a DYM are very very simple to play. Pot Pot Pot, it is what it is.

EARLY in a DYM, no, not so easy, as at, say, 10-20, if we pot it, we tend to get 3 or 4 callers, & unless we hit the flop hard, we have to let go on the flop.

So what we really need is someone in front of us to pot it first, that then gives us leverage to make a decent bet, & we can get it Heads Up. We MUST get this hand Heads Up if we want to get the lot in, 3 way is a disaster.

And we prefer them to REPOT, not "call", as that saves us from difficult flop decisions. 

And guess what - we had a "pot" bet in front of us, from the most improved PLO8 player in 2014, old Eon. He has a very good grasp of ranges, so we know he has a decent hand. 

So much for a nice quiet start, tweaking my ranges, lol.....

Anyway, we got it in, he had a nice hand, suited A-2-J-x I think. 

On the turn, EVERY result was possible - he can scoop, I can scoop, we can both three quarter each other. 

The river was kind to me, a blank, & I three-quartered him, & so I was sitting with 3,000 after one hand.  

Really, from that position, with 3,000 chips, we cannot lose this DYM now unless we do something daft. We do not need to get involved, let the rest of them sort it out, & just pick up the binds now & then later, when the Blinds get big. It all went to plan, & we won that one on the bridle, so a bit of an anti-climax really.

Meanwhile, in one of the games, we saw incred scenes. 4 of us left, me with 800 (TWO BIGS!), 2 stacks of about 2,000, & one chap with 7,000.

And 7,000 man, instead of going to sleep, wanted to play EVERY hand. Inevitably, he came a tumble, & lost the lot. It's pretty sad really that some players just don't "think" about these things, but I guess that is where we find our edge, if indeed we have one. 

If I have 7,000 with 4 left, trust me, I'm gonna let the other 3 sort it out, I don't wanna know. Let the others do all the work? Just a bit. 

Might have another short session later today.

See you later.

• edited January 2015

I return to the Office tomorrow, I've been working from home all Xmas, since Friday 19th I think.

I can work just as well from home, but I need to be in the Office when the 861 guys are in.

So, I go back tomorrow, which means I have to get up at 5am, & be in the car by 5.15am, to avoid the traffic, & find a car park space. After 7am, I can't get parked.

I get up at 0530 even if I am working from home, so it makes little odds really.

I do try & grab an hour in bed every afternoon, though, at around 3pm if I can. I really need that hour.

I don't have defined working hours, it's more sort of "as & when". So I keep an eye on the Community from early morning until late at night, just to ensure everything is cool.  

There are usually a bunch of e-Mails to sort first thing, too, I generally do them first.

I am hoping - fingers crossed - to be writing a lot more stories in 2015, it's called "Content" really, not on the Community, but on Sky Poker friendly sites such as SportingLife.com & the like. It's proving a bit difficult to get started though, which is kind of frustrating, to put it mildly. Trying to get that door open is incredibly difficult, & it is doing my head in. I'm not used to working with big Companies, all my experience was in smaller businesses, wher it was easy to "open doors" & get things done. 

Oh, & another thing. My Cleaner comes tomorrow, so tonight, I have to tidy the house, top to bottom, ugh. I have to do my washing, too, or hide it somewhere, I have a phobia of her finding any of my dirty washing. If I don't have time to wash it, I hide it in all sorts of odd places in case she stumbles across it. Sometimes I completely forget I have hidden it, & it turns up 9 months later. Deffo losing the plot here.    

• edited January 2015
    Tony, Happy New Year, and thanks for your support and advice in 2014. Looking at your figures, i think that you should be very proud of those numbers.  You are earning on average £10 per week in 2014, to do something you love and enjoy.You are also being entertained for numerous hours with friends, so PL08 must be the best value for money entertainment in the world.  Congratulations on the numbers, they are a great achievement. See you on the PL08 tables, Be lucky, Andrew.
    Posted by winshoes
    Very kind of you Andrew, thank you.

I enjoy sharing tables with you, but generally try to keep out of your way, as you generally turn up with nice balanced hands.

I guess I am proud of my numbers, yes. PLO8 is quite a complex game, & I'm nearer 70 than 65, playing against young guns most of the time. So yes, I am a bit proud of them. I'm not actually making any money right now though, (except Reward Points), but I'm not losing it either, just treading water really, so I need to find a way to start making more profit. Modest profit will do, £10 or £20 a week is all I need to tick my boxes. It soon adds up.

Imagine making £5 per day, every day of the year. That pays for a Vegas trip, just like that. Sounds simple, but it's not!

Happy New Year Andrew, I hope you continue to enjoy our wonderful game.   

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Pretty good Tikay and remember along the way you have helped many, many players become acquainted with the lovely game of PLO8 as well as fighting enough fires at Sky that they should make you honorary Fire Chief. I hope 2015 brings you everything you want and look forward to a few more battles and chats on the tables. p.s. If Macca doesn't point out that she won 4 times that amount in 5 hours in essentially a freeroll then she is missing a trick! 
    Posted by Enut

Ha! "Fire Chief", I like that.

It does feel that way sometimes. I only carry messages, I'm not allowed to make any decisions, & rarely get consulted about stuff I think I can help with, but the Business seems to go along very nicely, so I can't complain, they have some very bright suits in the Office who probs know better than me. It was a bit "hot" here on Jan 1st though, it's fair to say. ;)

Always a pleasure to see you on the Tables, & the VBOL to you & your family in 2015.

PS - Who is this "Macca" bloke?   
  • edited January 2015
    Whilst on the subject (sort of) of declining mental capacity, three weeks ago I came out of ASDA and to my dismay found that the car had been stolen. Phoned home to ask to be picked up and explained what happened. Response I got? "You dippy $%^&$$£, you didn't drive there, you got a taxi" Very Happy New Year Mr. K and one and all.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    You are so dippy.

Did you really used to run marathons? I'm not 100% convinced I believe that.....

Happy New Year Karen.

xx

• edited January 2015
    The running? Oh yes, I used to run a lot. Never to a high standard, but long distance is more about finishing for most and beating or coming close to a PB.
    I didn't start running until I was in the Navy, was forced into it really!  At the time if anyone was discovered to have a knack for a sport they'd be fully encouraged to do it, and it helped when being considered for promotions and things.  So, within 18 months I did my first Great North Run and the following year my first full marathon. It was easy to get involved in the sport if in the Forces, it wasn't a solitary thing.  We'd train and run together, four of us actually finished the first marathon within seconds of each other! My best friend and I finished it holding hands! NYC was the last of three full marathons I ran, running it alone so to speak. That mentally added ten miles to the distance, very hard for me to complete. The next day we stayed in the hotel room all day as I couldn't walk and ordered room service every few hours, brilliant!
    Every morning I still jump on the treadmill as soon as I wake up. Walk 5 minutes, light jog 20 minutes, walk 5 minutes.

Happy New Year to you too Mr. K
    xx
  • edited January 2015
    The running? Oh yes, I used to run a lot. Never to a high standard, but long distance is more about finishing for most and beating or coming close to a PB. I didn't start running until I was in the Navy, was forced into it really!  At the time if anyone was discovered to have a knack for a sport they'd be fully encouraged to do it, and it helped when being considered for promotions and things.  So, within 18 months I did my first Great North Run and the following year my first full marathon. It was easy to get involved in the sport if in the Forces, it wasn't a solitary thing.  We'd train and run together, four of us actually finished the first marathon within seconds of each other! My best friend and I finished it holding hands! NYC was the last of three full marathons I ran, running it alone so to speak. That mentally added ten miles to the distance, very hard for me to complete. The next day we stayed in the hotel room all day as I couldn't walk and ordered room service every few hours, brilliant! Every morning I still jump on the treadmill as soon as I wake up. Walk 5 minutes, light jog 20 minutes, walk 5 minutes. Happy New Year to you too Mr. K xx
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    That's an amazing story.

Love the fact that, running with your mates helped you do better, whereas running solo seemed to make it more difficult. Almost a metaphor for life, that.

• edited January 2015

I'll let Vespa explain this rather exciting photograph.

• edited January 2015

4th January.

£3.30, P2, W2

£5.50, P2, W1

£11, P1 W1

Total = P5, W4, L1

Profit on day £13.40

Month to date;

£3.30, P3, W3

£5.50, P4, W3

£11, P2, W2

Total, P10, W8, Game-Count 80%

Closing balance
    £1,549.08*

* - These numbers include £52.50 Reward Points payment due from December but not yet received.
  • edited January 2015
    I'll let Vespa explain this rather exciting photograph.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Apparently it was grounded deliberatley to save it from capsizing.
    Top work Captain.
    Contained 1400 cars !

Bramble Bank where it ran aground hosts a cricket match every summer at low tide !!
  • edited January 2015

Another mini-session last night, & it went very well again, winning 4 from 5, & nicking £13.

It's not much, I know, & it'll never make me rich, but small is beautiful, especially if I could do that repeatedly, even £5 or £10 a day adds up nicely over time.

Some interesting games though, especially one in which there was a real loosey-goosey "any 4 cards" player at the table, & he created havoc.  

Technically, his hand ranges were, well, awful, literally any 4, but you can overcome those deficiencies with sheer aggression sometimes.

I sussed the coup early, & decided to sit it out & see how things transpired before getting involved.

He then opened with a raise, as per - MUCH better than limping, especially with poor holdings - & Macac re-potted it. I think she probably had the aces, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, the board was all paint, very co-ordinated, & she bet flop & turn & got snap-called. She wisely gave up on the river, checked, & folded to the all-in. She may even have been ahead (the board paired, so she beats any 2 pair), but you can't really call in that spot. 

I just waited, & waited, & eventually found my hand to take Mr Loose Aggro on with. 

He re-potted - exactly as expected & planned, & we got it all in pre. I did not have the greatest hand, & I don't make this play v many others, think I had something like A-Q-4-3, the main thing was I had a balanced, combi hand to take him on. 

He turned up with pure spanners, 9-7-6-4 or somesuch, I flopped my ace & the Board ran out all high, job done.  

Think that was the only hand I played all game!

Mr Loosey Goosey ended up with 7,000 chips, I think. Amazing what aggression can do.

The only £11er I played was a really hot table, & included Whizzy, Trevil & Eon.

Again, there was a loosey goosey wreaking havoc, & I decided to sit quietly & let him bust the others if possible. 4 handed, I started to run a bit thin, so made a few standard shoves & got them all through. Because I'd been so quiet, these shoves got more respect.

I noticed that xx was raising my BB VERY light, so decided I'd call him down if I found something half decent. I much prefer being the aggressor & forcing folds than to be the caller, but thats one of the "tweaks" I've been experimenting with, so I looked him up with A-Q-9-5, & we had him strangled both ends, no dramas, job's a good 'un. 

Not sure whether to repeat the 5 game "mini-sessions" that have worked so well so far, or play a bigger session tonight, but I'll do one or the other.   

£28 profit from the first 2 sessions, really pleased with that. It'll not get me to Vegas, but it beats losing.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Apparently it was grounded deliberatley to save it from capsizing. Top work Captain. Contained 1400 cars ! Bramble Bank where it ran aground hosts a cricket match every summer at low tide !!
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yes, a great story, a "disaster" with no serious injury to anyone.

Apparently, some of the cars on board were Bentleys & Rolls Royces.

Cricket match? Yup, see....

http://www.strangebritain.co.uk/allthingsodd/bramble.html

Mind you, the pitch can get a bit damp at times....

• edited January 2015

Hi Tikay
    Happy new year and all the best for 2015.Did you manage to read the two documents I e mailed

• edited January 2015
    Hi Tikay Happy new year and all the best for 2015.Did you manage to read the two documents I e mailed
    Posted by JCG45
    Hi JG,

Yes, I read them, & I took some action, & will hopefully have some better news for you soon.

• edited January 2015

5th January.

£3.30, P2, W2

£5.50, P2, W0

£11, P1 W1

Total = P5, W3, L2

Profit on day £3.40

Month to date;

£3.30, P5, W5

£5.50, P6, W3

£11, P3, W3

Total, P15, W11, Game-Count 73%

Closing balance £1,552.38*

• edited January 2015

6th January.

£3.30, P3, W1

£5.50, P8, W3

£11, P1 W1

Total = P12, W5, L7

Profit/Loss on day £8.90.

Month to date;

£3.30, P8, W6

£5.50, P14, W6

£11, P4, W4

Total, P27, W16, Game-Count 59%

Closing balance £1,543.48*

• edited January 2015

7th January.

£3.30, P4, W3

£5.50, P1, W1

£11, P0 W0

Total = P5, W4, L1

Profit/Loss on day £9.30.

Month to date;

£3.30, P12, W9

£5.50, P15, W7

£11, P4, W4

Total, P31, W20, Game-Count 65%

Closing balance £1,553.44

Profit/Loss on Month £32.96

NB - The January Rewards Points payment has now been received, & is included.

I've also gained or lost a game somewhere, but no matter, the opening & closing balances are the main thing, I'll correct the Game Count when I find trhe time.
  • edited January 2015

I think reward points were paid yesterday Tikay. You may need to check your transactions.....or just start a thread with #sortitoutsky.
    *edit - you checked before I posted this! So....ignore.

Just catching up on your Diary/blog/thread, any more thoughts on playing/pushing the PLO game?
  • edited January 2015
    I think reward points were paid yesterday Tikay. You may need to check your transactions.....or just start a thread with #sortitoutsky. *edit - you checked before I posted this! So....ignore. Just catching up on your Diary/blog/thread, any more thoughts on playing/pushing the PLO game?
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Morning Alan.

Yes, quite happy to give the PLO DYM's a bit of a push, & for starters, maybe devote a night or two per week to playing them. I have to say, I've never played a PLO DYM in my life, but I'm happy to give it a whirl.

I almost registered for a few last night, but the traffic looked very thin & I gave up eventually.
    We'll sort out a night, make a bit of noise, & do it.
  • edited January 2015

8th January.

£3.30, P5, W1

£5.50, P4, W4

£11, P1 W0

Total = P10, W5, L5

Profit/Loss on day £3.46.

Month to date;

£3.30, P17, W10 (59%)

£5.50, P19, W11 (58%)

£11, P5, W4 (80%)