You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2015

February Sessions

1st +£51.00

2nd -£18.50

3rd +£19.40

4th +£1.20

6th + £24.80

7th + £68.10

Month to date Profit/Loss = + £146.00
    (excludes Reward Points)
  • edited February 2015

Biggest (most games) session I have ever played last night, I'd set myself a target of 500 points per day for Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, to take advantage of Double Points, but only 4 games ran at £11 last night, so it took much longer than expected. Eventually I got there though, so am on track for a 1,500 point weekend, as I'm trying to make 3,000 points in what will be a short month, as I depart for UKPC next Friday & that'll be that. (I now have 1,661, so whatever happens, I have another £16 in the kitty).

I can't stay up late tonight, as I'm up at 5am for work tomorrow, so I may fall short tonight if the £11 games don't run regularly. Never mind, I've given it my best shot.

I don't keep exact track of profit & loss during a session, but I was sure I'd done OK, maybe £25 or £30 profit, so when I finished, logged out & back in to check my balance, I had a lovely surprise - £68 profit, (£1.25 per game), one of my best nights ever.

Guess I must have run good, those numbers are way above my long term average.

So, another bigg(ish) session tonight, I hope, but I fancy I have a variance overdraft, so fully expect to drop a few bob tonight. Fingers crossed, not one of those car crash nights, it stings to "give it back".

• edited February 2015

There's much to be enjoyed about playing with "friends", good guys & girls, who, in our little PLO8 Community, we get to know so well.

There's a downside, though, too. When we run well, & our mates ran bad, it does cast a bit of a cloud. I got the impression that Vespa was running horribly last night. He's a good man, a really decent sort, takes his bad days on the chin like a proper grown-up should, but while I'm having a great night & loving life, I can't help but be a bit sad when its partly at the expense of my buds. It's poker, I suppose, maybe I don't have that killer instinct. Somehow, on a good night, I'd rather win off of strangers.
  • edited February 2015
    Got in a relatively big session (for me)in the DYM's last night (no MTT's except the UKPC FR's).

Mixed it between £5 and £3 games, really enjoyed it, had some epic tussles and a few good laughs.....

personal chatbox favourite.

irate villian: Idiot!

Macacgirl: ''Interesting fact; Idiot is czech for 'hung like a donkey'....... ''

• edited February 2015

We had to endure some trolling in the chat box last night, jeez, the same guy was moaning & groaning all night. He's very experienced, so should know how poker works by now. Over 8,000 games, & a stunning profit from them, the envy of us all (in that respect), & yet can't take a beat like a grown up. The software is fine when he wins, but a heap of poo when he loses. We are a funny bunch, us poker players.

Anyway, it got so bad that I had to turn my chat off. When I'm 6 Tabling, I need to really concentrate, but all the time I had one eye on this endless moaning, & trolling of different players, & it was really affecting my concentration. It looks so innocent, but it's not, it's nasty stuff. Good trolls are very hard to pin down, too. "What me?" they say.

Anyway, apologies I was not chatting much last night, but at my age, I can only spin so many plates at once, & I tend to drop a few if I don't really focus. 

Hope to see many of you later today, Double Points time, can't be wasting the opportunity.

Enjoy your Sunday.   

• edited February 2015
    "7th + £68.10"

Brilliant! It's obviously all the proof anyone needs for this being a rigged site, but very well done nonetheless.
    Lots and lots of new names playing yesterday, did you notice?  Hopefully they'll stick around after the promo has ended too. Onwards and upwards. If a UK based player, Sky could just become the site to play PLO8, no reason why not.
    I had a totally mind battering time yesterday.  Three games being played simultaneously, from level 1 through to the end, I wasn't dealt a single ace in any of them!  Seems amazing in a 4 card game and something for the maths bods to ponder. Each game got to level 6 or so before I was small stacked and surrendered.  Even with a conservative guess of one hand dealt a minute, that's thirty hands each game without a single ace. Ninety hands in total.  Amazing.  I've never experienced anything like that before. Not a moan of course, I just find these things interesting and weird, worthy of sharing.
    Poo Poo day for me yesterday, I don't take much note of my balance, but I know I either lost ten pounds or won ninety. I have the strangest feeling it's the former!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Got in a relatively big session (for me)in the DYM's last night (no MTT's except the UKPC FR's). Mixed it between £5 and £3 games, really enjoyed it, had some epic tussles and a few good laughs..... personal chatbox favourite. irate villian: Idiot! Macacgirl: ''Interesting fact; Idiot is czech for 'hung like a donkey'....... ''
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Ha!

That guy was incred.

Kept getting it in with any 4, chirped when he won, moaned when he lost, then turned on poor old Salazzarr & called him an idiot because "he hit a 2 outer".

How does hitting a 2 outer make someone an idiot? We have no control over what cards fall, winning a thin one neither makes us an idiot or a genius.

I could share tables with that guy 24/7, I'd be able to retire soon, but I can do without those sorts.

Another bad winner & bad loser. I often wonder if these sorts are an "only child", & have been spoilt. I really can't be doing with bad losers.

How did you end up last night? I got the impression you made a good few bob, you kept winning games. The games were VERY competitive last night, which is good. 

Geldy was out of order. He started off in GeldMode 17, then switched to GeldMode 7, then GeldMode 9. Bang out of order, that. I can decipher most of them, but I can't combat them easily.

I near felted him in one game, down to a bowl, but then he just pummelled the Raise button, & it's hard to defend with poo, & he went on to win the thing.

It's the great thing with poker, that few realise - we can raise with poo (if we are brave enough), but we can't call with poo. Not saying Geldy had poo every time, good Lord no.

MaCa must have been on the wine. She is VERY funny when she's had a few, & woe betide any Trolls who tried to get on her case. An uneven contest, that one. 

mmmchips is fast becoming one of my fave players, what a top bloke he is.    

• edited February 2015
    We had to endure some trolling in the chat box last night, jeez, the same guy was moaning & groaning all night. He's very experienced, so should know how poker works by now. Over 8,000 games, & a stunning profit from them, the envy of us all (in that respect), & yet can't take a beat like a grown up. The software is fine when he wins, but a heap of poo when he loses. We are a funny bunch, us poker players.   Anyway, it got so bad that I had to turn my chat off. When I'm 6 Tabling, I need to really concentrate, but all the time I had one eye on this endless moaning, & trolling of different players, & it was really affecting my concentration. It looks so innocent, but it's not, it's nasty stuff. Good trolls are very hard to pin down, too. "What me?" they say.   Anyway, apologies I was not chatting much last night, but at my age, I can only spin so many plates at once, & I tend to drop a few if I don't really focus.  Hope to see many of you later today, Double Points time, can't be wasting the opportunity.   Enjoy your Sunday.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't remember playing at all last night.
    I must have been exceedingly drunk
  • edited February 2015
    I was mega on the wine yesterday. A glass in the afternoon AND one in the evening. I also had four Cointreau chocolate doo-dars, which probably tipped me over the edge.
  • edited February 2015
    "7th + £68.10" Brilliant! It's obviously all the proof anyone needs for this being a rigged site, but very well done nonetheless. Lots and lots of new names playing yesterday, did you notice?  Hopefully they'll stick around after the promo has ended too. Onwards and upwards. If a UK based player, Sky could just become the site to play PLO8, no reason why not. I had a totally mind battering time yesterday.  Three games being played simultaneously, from level 1 through to the end, I wasn't dealt a single ace in any of them!  Seems amazing in a 4 card game and something for the maths bods to ponder. Each game got to level 6 or so before I was small stacked and surrendered.  Even with a conservative guess of one hand dealt a minute, that's thirty hands each game without a single ace. Ninety hands in total.  Amazing.  I've never experienced anything like that before. Not a moan of course, I just find these things interesting and weird, worthy of sharing. Poo Poo day for me yesterday, I don't take much note of my balance, but I know I either lost ten pounds or won ninety. I have the strangest feeling it's the former!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    New players last night? I counted no less than 17. (Welcome to my geeky stat side). I make a note on EVERY player, so if I have no note, I go to Sharkkscope & look them up - 17 new players to Sky Poker. Well they may have played cash here before, but never a MTT or SNG.

Love it when you get a bit short, & announce "I'm gonna put my Bingo boots on shortly, beware".

And as chance would have it, you busted a guy shortly after, & he then haraunged you endlessly in the chatbox for playing badly. Presumably he would prefer you to get it in with a better hand...... 

I so admire the way you handled that whingeing. As you said, it's a fiver game, move on. I don't engage, I'm not "sharp" enough with the bants.

• edited February 2015
    I was mega on the wine yesterday. A glass in the afternoon AND one in the evening. I also had four Cointreau chocolate doo-dars, which probably tipped me over the edge.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    And 7 Fish Cakes, as I recall?
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I don't remember playing at all last night. I must have been exceedingly drunk
    Posted by Jac35
    Lol, yba.

4-1, eh? Happy with that?

The Bees won at Leeds, too. The dream is alive.
  • edited February 2015
    "7th + £68.10" Brilliant! It's obviously all the proof anyone needs for this being a rigged site, but very well done nonetheless. Lots and lots of new names playing yesterday, did you notice?  Hopefully they'll stick around after the promo has ended too. Onwards and upwards. If a UK based player, Sky could just become the site to play PLO8, no reason why not. I had a totally mind battering time yesterday.  Three games being played simultaneously, from level 1 through to the end, I wasn't dealt a single ace in any of them!  Seems amazing in a 4 card game and something for the maths bods to ponder. Each game got to level 6 or so before I was small stacked and surrendered.  Even with a conservative guess of one hand dealt a minute, that's thirty hands each game without a single ace. Ninety hands in total.  Amazing.  I've never experienced anything like that before. Not a moan of course, I just find these things interesting and weird, worthy of sharing. Poo Poo day for me yesterday, I don't take much note of my balance, but I know I either lost ten pounds or won ninety. I have the strangest feeling it's the former!
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Interesting story attached to that.

If you want liquidity in ANY game, obv, 'Stars is the place, HUGE liquidity, & a great site. Tough to win there, mind.

But 'Stars apart, it really is hard to find any site with decent PLO8 liquidity.

About twice a year, I play those little FTOPS things on Tilt. Just one table, so I look for some PLO8 SNG's, DYM's, or cash to keep me concentrating. Almost NOTHING there.

2 days ago, for sort of awkward commercial reasons (DTD connected, obv, & I really want to support them, such as I am able), I was prevailed upon to open an account on Party Poker. However, it transpired I already had an Account there from years back. I had completely forgotten I had that Account.

So, I re-activated it, & thought I'd play a bit of PLO8 there, to sort of show willing to DTD. But there was NO PLO8 action there, none at all, & almost none of offer, in the Lobby.

Then for rubs, I discovered, quite by chance, that I had a few bob in there, it dated back to 2005, never even realised I had money on the site. And guess what - they had been deducting "Inactivity Fees" from my Account!

This is their T & C.....

".....All fees and charges are subject to change from time to time.

As set out in Clause 11 (Inactive Account Fees) of the Terms and Conditions of Use, the Inactive Account Fee is a monthly administrative charge that is deducted from your account balance if your account is inactive for more than 180 days.

The Inactive Account Fee will be deducted from your account balance on the day following the (end of the) 180-day grace period (i.e., day 181) and then every thirty (30) days thereafter if your account remains inactive.

For example: If the Inactive Account Fee is €5.00 EUR*, and your account is inactive for seven (7) months, then you will have to pay a €5.00 EUR* charge at the end of the 180-day grace period (day 181) and then every thirty (30) days thereafter if your account remains inactive....."

What a liberty!

So I decided to withdraw most of it, - if the Account is empty, they can't deduct money fom my Account, can they?

And then I discovered that I had to pay a 3% "currency vig" when withdrawing or depositing.

What?

WHAT?

Are you joking me?

I was like a supercharged Lord Miffed, what a thing. Imagine if Sky Poker did that, lol, there'd be murders.

Sky Poker has it's faults, plenty of them, but on balance, it is just fine.

There were some "Site Issues" on Sky Poker yesterday afternoon, as it happens. SB&G have a BIG, intregated platform, & sometimes problems in other parts of the site affect Poker. It was not the end of the world, & it never caused me much of a prob, just a bit of an irritation really. This morning, I got a "round robin" e-Mail from Sky Poker, apologizing for the probs. Nice touch, that.   

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Lol, yba. 4-1, eh? Happy with that? The Bees won at Leeds, too. The dream is alive.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Very happy
    We didn't play brilliantly but scored some nice goals. Tom Ince on that form could be a real star for us. He seems nearly as cheerful as his father did on the pitch as well.

Derby and Brentford automatic would be fun.

Read a report on a game a while ago about another son of a former United player, Alex Bruce
    Apparently,  he'd suffered a really bad facial injury during the match.
    The journalist remarked that after the incident he still was far better looking than his dad
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Very happy We didn't play brilliantly but scored some nice goals. Tom Ince on that form could be a real star for us. He seems nearly as cheerful as his father did on the pitch as well. Derby and Brentford automatic would be fun. Read a report on a game a while ago about another son of a former United player, Alex Bruce Apparently,  he'd suffered a really bad facial injury during the match. The journalist remarked that after the incident he still was far better looking than his dad
    Posted by Jac35
    Ouch!

I'm not a Tom Ince fan. Think he has problems upstairs, with his attitude, but at least McLaren is the sort of guy who can sort him. For all the dissing McLaren gets, he is a great, great, man-manager. Very bright bloke.
  • edited February 2015
    There's much to be enjoyed about playing with "friends", good guys & girls, who, in our little PLO8 Community, we get to know so well. There's a downside, though, too. When we run well, & our mates ran bad, it does cast a bit of a cloud. I got the impression that Vespa was running horribly last night. He's a good man, a really decent sort, takes his bad days on the chin like a proper grown-up should, but while I'm having a great night & loving life, I can't help but be a bit sad when its partly at the expense of my buds. It's poker, I suppose, maybe I don't have that killer instinct. Somehow, on a good night, I'd rather win off of strangers.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Cheers Tikay
    Yep, was a badish night but not a disaster.
    Must stop playing the £5 games, just can't crack them even though its usually the same players.......weird.

If i see "Ul Mick" in the chatbox again, the laptop's going out the window !! :-)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Cheers Tikay Yep, was a badish night but not a disaster. Must stop playing the £5 games, just can't crack them even though its usually the same players.......weird. If i see "Ul Mick" in the chatbox again, the laptop's going out the window !! :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha! I must have typed that to you 10 times last night.

I'll change tack in future, & give you the Maca/MOTHER treatment.

"GOOD, now get outa here".
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! That guy was incred.   Kept getting it in with any 4, chirped when he won, moaned when he lost, then turned on poor old Salazzarr & called him an idiot because "he hit a 2 outer". How does hitting a 2 outer make someone an idiot? We have no control over what cards fall, winning a thin one neither makes us an idiot or a genius.   I could share tables with that guy 24/7, I'd be able to retire soon, but I can do without those sorts.   Another bad winner & bad loser. I often wonder if these sorts are an "only child", & have been spoilt. I really can't be doing with bad losers.   How did you end up last night? I got the impression you made a good few bob, you kept winning games. The games were VERY competitive last night, which is good.  Geldy was out of order. He started off in GeldMode 17, then switched to GeldMode 7, then GeldMode 9. Bang out of order, that. I can decipher most of them, but I can't combat them easily.   I near felted him in one game, down to a bowl, but then he just pummelled the Raise button, & it's hard to defend with poo, & he went on to win the thing.   It's the great thing with poker, that few realise - we can raise with poo (if we are brave enough), but we can't call with poo. Not saying Geldy had poo every time, good Lord no.   MaCa must have been on the wine. She is VERY funny when she's had a few, & woe betide any Trolls who tried to get on her case. An uneven contest, that one.  mmmchips is fast becoming one of my fave players, what a top bloke he is.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Thankfully I only shared that one table with him.

I actually ran really well last night and ended up with a tidy wee profit (usually the opposite when theres a promo)

Lol, The Geldmodes are hard to decipher as he usually changes gear 3 or 4 times per game, actually the most fun game I had all evening was coming back to cash after potting The Geldmeister and him reducing me to a chip (or maybe 2) and a chair......:-)

She is a sharp cookie, must be a combo of training from the services (RAF I think you have mentioned) and the Hotel trade (look how tough that Alex Pollizi is....nuff said)

I don't know chips, seen some to and froing in the chatbox sometimes on a Monday DTD game (prob. history there that I know not about), but I have always found him pleasant.

playing golf early tomorrow but still intend a bit of a run at it tonight.

• edited February 2015

Nobody types UL Mac.
    All I get is 'Boom, where has she gone, Mother next'

IT'S JUST NOT FAIR.

ps. Thai crabcakes. 8 of them eventually.

• edited February 2015
    Hi Tikay
                   Talking about poker sites taking liberties I am still trying to unlock my £1100.OO bank roll after 15 months with titanpoker I have sent over 200 emails back and forward trying to convince them on my identity any news on the documents I sent
    I think it is now time for me to speak to the press and see if they can accept some publicity
  • edited February 2015
    It was fun last night. 
    After you lot slaughtered Geldmode 13 on Friday i was pleased to get some revenge last night. 
    saw a banterer in action so i decided to engage him in a convo for a few minutes. irony was clearly lost on him though. 
    90 hands with no A for macac eh? Looks like teeks has got one of those backdoor software switches. Either that or I've forgotten how to do maths as i certainly don't believe the answer. 
  • edited February 2015
    It was fun last night.  After you lot slaughtered Geldmode 13 on Friday i was pleased to get some revenge last night.  saw a banterer in action so i decided to engage him in a convo for a few minutes. irony was clearly lost on him though.  90 hands with no A for macac eh? Looks like teeks has got one of those backdoor software switches. Either that or I've forgotten how to do maths as i certainly don't believe the answer. 
    Posted by GELDY
    I've never encountered anything like it! 90 is probably very conservative a guess. Throw in all the times that hands are simply folded around, it's way more than that. As I'm a bit weird, I was actually peeved when an ace finally turned up in game 4!  Anyway, enough of that, wasn't a moan, simply something super odd which I've never seen before.
  • edited February 2015
    i use solver to calculate a value of x that zeroes the equation. You could do it iteratively i suppose but I'm happy using solver.  Start with an x at 1 or similar (ie result of previous solution) and it will always find the correct root. 
    Posted by GELDY

Hi Phantom66 
    did that help? 

• edited February 2015
    You do see some interesting plays. 
    level 2 of a 3.30
    utg limps in 30 out of a stack of 210
    and then folds when i pot it, even though i had just doubled him up playing a hi only hand. What exactly was he hoping for?  

• edited February 2015
    It was fun last night.  After you lot slaughtered Geldmode 13 on Friday i was pleased to get some revenge last night.  saw a banterer in action so i decided to engage him in a convo for a few minutes. irony was clearly lost on him though.  90 hands with no A for macac eh? Looks like teeks has got one of those backdoor software switches. Either that or I've forgotten how to do maths as i certainly don't believe the answer. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Loved it!

"So are you naked?"

• edited February 2015
    Hi Tikay                Talking about poker sites taking liberties I am still trying to unlock my £1100.OO bank roll after 15 months with titanpoker I have sent over 200 emails back and forward trying to convince them on my identity any news on the documents I sent I think it is now time for me to speak to the press and see if they can accept some publicity
    Posted by JCG45
    I agree, I've done all I can, but Titan refuse to answer e-Mails on the matter.

On the face of it, its disgraceful.
  • edited February 2015

Not easy to concentrate last night whilst reading this sort of stuff in the chatbox, I nearly wet myself laughing.

Do you have a horse, then?

Yes

Cool

Well, I DID have a horse, but not any more.

Oh, why?

I ate it

• edited February 2015

February opening balance = £1,623.59.

February 8th

£3.30, P12, W4 (33%)

£5.50, P22, W13 (59%)

£11, P10, W7 (70%)

Total - P 55, W37 (55%)

Profit/Loss on Day = £23.40

MONTH TO DATE

£3.30, P52, W29 = 56%

£5.50 P142, W89 = 63%

£11 P54 W32 = 59%

OVERALL P 248, W150 = 60%

Profit on Month = £169.40

Profit/Loss per game = £0.68

Balance = £1,792.99
  • edited February 2015

February Sessions

1st +£51.00

2nd -£18.50

3rd +£19.40

4th +£1.20

6th + £24.80

7th + £68.10

8th +23.40

Month to date Profit/Loss = + £169.40
    (excludes Reward Points)
  • edited February 2015

The heater continues, or it did until the last 9 games, of which I managed to lose 9. Fortunately, most were @ £3.30, so it never wiped out the night's profit, but it's amazing how the swings & swongs seem out of our control. Losing 7 from 9, ugh.

Anyway, finished with a £23.40 profit on the night, from 44 games, so I'm happy with that.

Been a good weekend, really good. Played 141 games, won on all 3 nights, turned a profit of £116, & earned 1,492 Reward Points, just shy of my ambitious target of 1,500. 

I might just have a squeak of making 3,000 Points this month now, am on 2,153, & have exactly 6 nights left when I'm available to play. 

Really enjoyable weekend. I've never done 3 sessions like that before, to take advantage of the Double Points thing, & I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Maybe if I had lost a few bob, I'd have seen it a little less pleasingly...... 

I was deffo on a heater - until those last 9 games, anyway - so I need to be ready for the other side of variance to kick in now. Can't have one without the other.

See you tonight.