You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2013

Thursday:  Played 11, Won 6, Lost 5  The 11 were composed of....

0 x £2.25.

8 x £5.50. Won 3, lost 5.

3 x £11.00. Won 3, Lost 0

Total invested yesterday = £77.00

Total invested this month = £1,171.65

Wednesday's Average Game Stake = £7.00

Average Game Stake = £7.10

Thursday’s Average Profit/Loss per game = £1.18

PLO8 DYM Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.27

Net Profit/Loss on Day = £13.00

Original Bankroll - £200

Current bankroll £226.20

Loss/Profit on month = £44.00

Loss/Profit overall = £26.20

Reward Points earned Wednesday - 70

Reward Points in month = 2,908 

These Profit & Loss numbers EXCLUDE October Reward Points payment, currently worth £29.08.
  • edited October 2013

PLO8 DYM's.....

Played 165

Won 93

Lost 72
  • edited October 2013

Mixed day yesterday, but ended with a £13 profit.

Managed to lose 5 out of 8 @ £5.50, but the balance was tipped by winning all three I played @ £11, which makes a huge difference.

Allowing for October Reward Points, the original £200 bankroll is now enhanced by around 25%, so that's pretty pleasing.

That's me done with these now until Monday, as I'll be at the SPT all weekend. I shall quite miss playing them, I enjoy it so much, & it is so relaxing to be able to get away from the stresses & strains of life for a few hours every evening, in peace & quiet.

Still undecided whether to stick with PLO8 next week, or revert to PLO. I can't really play both at the same time, the mindset & focus is so different, it just does not work for me. 

Think I'll stick to PLO8 until the month end (effectively next Wednesday, as I have the Show on Thursday), & then, for November, maybe give the PLO DYM's a spin. They presumably play out MUCH quicker, which means I could increase the volume played significantly. Not sure I'd be profitable, though, or whether I'd enjoy them quite so much - no game has the variety of decisions that every hand of PLO8 gives us, it's an incredibly interesting game. 

We shall see. 

First task is to ensure I concentrate properly on Mon/Tues/Weds next week, to ensure I have a profitable month. Not there yet, many a slip betwixt cup & lip.....   

• edited October 2013

Am I the only one who daydreams after a few winning nights?

I do these daft sums in my head.

"....So, I made £20 yesterday. If I could make £20 EVERY night (on average) over a year, & allowing a day or two per week off for work & other stuff, that'd be, say, 300 x £20 = £6,000. That would finance a trip to Vegas for the WSOP...."

Daft, eh?

Because it does not work like that, & a bit of negative variance or bad play next week & I'll be back in red numbers again. I can't help doing it though.

£20 profit in a day? It's ridiculously small when you see the huge numbers some players talk about, & some actually make. But a £20 note IS a lot of money, relatively, & if a £20 note was blowing down the street, you'd pick it up soon enough.

Grandad Angell told me a dripping tap soon fills a bath. Guess he never knew about leaky bathplugs.

Anyway, it's good to fantasise & dream these things, keeps us out of mischief.

Incredible game, poker, it kisses us one day, & slaps us round the chops the next, & very few people can tame it. 52 virtual playing cards & a set of hand rankings, so so simple, & yet so very ingeniously clever.

Love the game, I really do. Even now, after playing all these years, I still get a tingle of excitement when my first table launches, & even before every single hand, & then flop, turn & river.

I might also be the only one, sat all alone at home, who oohs & aahs when I win or lose an important pot. 

Yes, YESSS....nooooooooo!

ooooooh

Thinks it's time I started acting my age.    

• edited October 2013

Got a bit of stick in the chat box yesterday.

"Are you EVER going to play a hand, tikay?" my man repeatedly mocked.

I generally restrict my comments to saying "hi & gl" to everyone, & now & then I'll empathise with someone who has taken a beat, but that apart, I try to stay nice & quiet.

Whilst I was mentally composing a reply to my detractor - there was no rush, he was busy playing every hand - he got a bit of a bad beat, & busted out. I said nothing, but thought plenty. ;)

In fact he was a bit unlucky, it was only Level 2, & he somehow got the lot in pre against Mr Loosey Goosey. Both hands were similar, A-Q-2-5 sorta thing, but the worst hand won, as it so often does, & my man was a goner.

You could argue he was terribly unlucky. You could equally argue that it makes no sense, in one of these DYM's Level 2, to get the lot in with that sort of hand.

We are almost NEVER getting the lot in early in these things in PLO8, it's way too risky. Leave the shoves until we are 4 handed, imo. Less risk. Less risk I like. I can double my stack by little moves when the blinds are big without ever risking my whole stack, or even seeing a flop. Risk-averse, see.

Whisper it quietly, but I'm Lord Nit, & nits, for reasons which completely baffle me, are not very popular at the Tables. Go figure.   
  • edited October 2013

We had a young man (I have to assume he was young) who, because one of the regulars was having a few disconnects & was repeatedly slow to act, kept typing "zzzzzzzzz" in the Chat Box.

I got to thinking, I wonder how many times I've seen that on an Online Poker chatbox. A million? More? Do they not have an original or more creative line?

I form a mental image of folks who type that sort of thing. Intolerant, not the sharpest knife in the draw, & the sort that screams blue murder if THEY ever get disconnected.

Always worth wondering what it feels like to wear the other guys shoes.

"Joke" is another "favourite" of mine. Why do they say "joke" every time they lose a hand? what's funny or clever about about "joke"? Come come, try a little harder, show a little dignity in defeat. It's a hand of poker, there'll be another one along in a minute. Of COURSE we get a tad irked when we get outdrawn, but this is poker, it has, does, & will always happen, why not accept that? Getting uppity won't change a darn thing.

Chill, Winston...... 

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Got a bit of stick in the chat box yesterday. "Are you EVER going to play a hand, tikay?" my man repeatedly mocked . I generally restrict my comments to saying "hi & gl" to everyone, & now & then I'll empathise with someone who has taken a beat, but that apart, I try to stay nice & quiet. Whilst I was mentally composing a reply to my detractor - there was no rush, he was busy playing every hand - he got a bit of a bad beat, & busted out. I said nothing, but thought plenty. ;) In fact he was a bit unlucky, it was only Level 2, & he somehow got the lot in pre against Mr Loosey Goosey. Both hands were similar, A-Q-2-5 sorta thing, but the worst hand won, as it so often does, & my man was a goner.   You could argue he was terribly unlucky. You could equally argue that it makes no sense, in one of these DYM's Level 2, to get the lot in with that sort of hand. We are almost NEVER getting the lot in early in these things in PLO8, it's way too risky. Leave the shoves until we are 4 handed, imo. Less risk. Less risk I like. I can double my stack by little moves when the blinds are big without ever risking my whole stack, or even seeing a flop. Risk-averse, see.   Whisper it quietly, but I'm Lord Nit, & nits, for reasons which completely baffle me, are not very popular at the Tables. Go figure.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Morning Tikay,
    I get similar comments when i'm playing DYM's too , but it doesn't bother me either.
    As you say these type of players usually bust out early.

Was playing a PLO8 DYm last night , which was going at their usual pace , so decided to load up a Holdem DYM to keep me interested for a while.
    The Holdem DYM lasted exactly 5 hands!!

I busted 2 players when i woke up with Aces in the 3rd hand.
    Goes limp , limp , limp , big raise by me.
    2 Callers
    10 high flop - i bet pot - 2 callers
    Brick turn
    I shove - 2 callers
    Brick river

1 player has K 10os
    Other has JJ

2 hnads later it was all over.
    Happy Days :-)

Have a pleasant day Mr K

Regards
    Mick
  • edited October 2013

5 hands? Lovely jubbly!

So your rate per hour in that one would be HUGE!

In PLO8, of course, it is almost impossible for them to end quickly, because even if we have a monster & get it all-in, there are always "low-chasers" who, inexplicably, are happy to get it all-in pre-flop in Level One with an A-2-x-x sort of hand, & we end up with a chop-chop. I've yet to discover the logic in that, but I'll keep trying. Joke

I mean, we want to get ALL of our stack in, in the hope of getting half of the pot back? How that work?

You have a good weekend too, Mick, & I'll see you on the Tables next week.
  • edited October 2013
    Am I the only one who daydreams after a few winning nights? I do these daft sums in my head. "....So, I made £20 yesterday. If I could make £20 EVERY night (on average) over a year, & allowing a day or two per week off for work & other stuff, that'd be, say, 300 x £20 = £6,000. That would finance a trip to Vegas for the WSOP...." Daft, eh? Because it does not work like that, & a bit of negative variance or bad play next week & I'll be back in red numbers again. I can't help doing it though. £20 profit in a day? It's ridiculously small when you see the huge numbers some players talk about, & some actually make. But a £20 note IS a lot of money, relatively, & if a £20 note was blowing down the street, you'd pick it up soon enough.   Grandad Angell told me a dripping tap soon fills a bath. Guess he never knew about leaky bathplugs. Anyway, it's good to fantasise & dream these things, keeps us out of mischief. Incredible game, poker, it kisses us one day, & slaps us round the chops the next, & very few people can tame it. 52 virtual playing cards & a set of hand rankings, so so simple, & yet so very ingeniously clever.   Love the game, I really do. Even now, after playing all these years, I still get a tingle of excitement when my first table launches, & even before every single hand, & then flop, turn & river.   I might also be the only one, sat all alone at home, who oohs & aahs when I win or lose an important pot.  Yes, YESSS....nooooooooo! ooooooh .  Thinks it's time I started acting my age.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Think we all do that tikay.

If have set yourself a goal to use your hard won / luckily binked poker earnings I think it is important to keep an eye on 2 measures.

Not trying to teach an old dog new tricks, just opening the discussion for other followers...

What is your Return on Investment? - For every pound invested in entries/rake or played on a cash table, what returns do you get? Obviously these days anything above 2% is better than most savings accounts.

How much profit do you make/hour? This is the really important one as it dictates how long it will take you to reach your goal and whether you are better playing poker to reach it - or maybe just working harder to get a bonus/payrise or take a 2nd job delivering pizzas at night.

I have started tracking my stats on another thread. My ROI's are good but as I am only earning peanuts per hour I need to keep up with the day job!

I can still dream though of moving up through the levels and finding that way to make "just" £100/week.

In the meantime I'll just enjoy playing for the recreational element, the buzz of a successful move and the joy of learning and developing my skills.

• edited October 2013

Lovely Post Mr Phantom.

I don't use "£x per hour" because it does not really work for me, but yes, it's a good way to measure progress.

I get to play most nights, but for varying periods, & nothing will change that, it's not like I can say I'll always play x hours per day.

So, for me, "£x per day" works OK.

Incidentally, these dreams turn to dust when I have a few losing days on the trot - & I always do! Then, the run-good returns, & so do the dreams......

The human mind is a wondrous thing.

Today, I can beat the game. Tomorrow, not so much. Thats the whole beauty & fascination of poker.

• edited October 2013
    Think we all do the dreaming. 
    I never look ar stuff like hourly rates. That, to me, makes it seem like work.  It's anything but that. It's all about enjoying a hobby for me and hopefully making a few quid as well.

I know exactly what you mean with the small numbers actually becoming large numbers over a period of time. I think we are all guilty at times of trying to run before we can walk. Everyone seens to want to move up to the next level.  I tend to think that we should just enjoy where are sometimes.  I play pretty liw stake dyms but with enough volume, decent money can be made. It's been put to me before that I could make more if I played higher. Yep, possibly but I'm sure I wouldn't enjoy it as much.

Small number s becoming big numbers reminds me of the door to door salesman saying "it'll only cost yiu the price of a packet of cigs a week" true,  but you'll be buying that packet for the next 20 years.

Easy to lose the value of money when playing.  Difficult balance to try and strike.  You have to forget about tge money to a degree and make the best decision.  But for exampke the other night in Derby,  I made an awful call on the river in a hand for £126 and at the time thought nevermind I'm winning ok on the night. Wait a minute, that's a lot of money and if I told non poker people that, they would think I was mad. 

Sorry,  gone off in loads of different directions here, I tend to do that
  • edited October 2013
    I'm with you the "Zzzzzz" thing (actually I'm with you on most Omaha Hi-Lo things) - I usually take it as a sign that they're beginning to tilt and have it as something I may be able to exploit.

The second thing that comes with it is sometimes "you're only playing one table - come on" but expressed rather more agressively. Well yes I am. but I'm usually doing 2 or 3 other things as well
  • edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Think we all do that tikay. If have set yourself a goal to use your hard won / luckily binked poker earnings I think it is important to keep an eye on 2 measures. Not trying to teach an old dog new tricks, just opening the discussion for other followers... What is your Return on Investment? - For every pound invested in entries/rake or played on a cash table, what returns do you get? Obviously these days anything above 2% is better than most savings accounts. How much profit do you make/hour? This is the really important one as it dictates how long it will take you to reach your goal and whether you are better playing poker to reach it - or maybe just working harder to get a bonus/payrise or take a 2nd job delivering pizzas at night. I have started tracking my stats on another thread. My ROI's are good but as I am only earning peanuts per hour I need to keep up with the day job! I can still dream though of moving up through the levels and finding that way to make "just" £100/week. In the meantime I'll just enjoy playing for the recreational element, the buzz of a successful move and the joy of learning and developing my skills.
    Posted by Phantom66
    To make a fair comparison you really need to look at how much money you had 'tied up' in the poker account at the start, and what the balance is at the end of the year.

But it can never be a fair comparison, because I've never had fun handing money to a bank cashier and leaving it there!

I record my results. Tend not to look at them too much, as 'how I'm playing' is more important. But when I started about a year ago I said I'd try to win enough to buy a few nice things as treats - and I still have that to look forward to ;)
  • edited October 2013
    Got a bit of stick in the chat box yesterday. "Are you EVER going to play a hand, tikay?" my man repeatedly mocked . I generally restrict my comments to saying "hi & gl" to everyone, & now & then I'll empathise with someone who has taken a beat, but that apart, I try to stay nice & quiet. Whilst I was mentally composing a reply to my detractor - there was no rush, he was busy playing every hand - he got a bit of a bad beat, & busted out. I said nothing, but thought plenty. ;) In fact he was a bit unlucky, it was only Level 2, & he somehow got the lot in pre against Mr Loosey Goosey. Both hands were similar, A-Q-2-5 sorta thing, but the worst hand won, as it so often does, & my man was a goner.   You could argue he was terribly unlucky. You could equally argue that it makes no sense, in one of these DYM's Level 2, to get the lot in with that sort of hand. We are almost NEVER getting the lot in early in these things in PLO8, it's way too risky. Leave the shoves until we are 4 handed, imo. Less risk. Less risk I like. I can double my stack by little moves when the blinds are big without ever risking my whole stack, or even seeing a flop. Risk-averse, see.   Whisper it quietly, but I'm Lord Nit, & nits, for reasons which completely baffle me, are not very popular at the Tables. Go figure.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Loved reading that little section of the post. I have played quite a lot of PLO and PLO dyms and when the betting takes off preflop you can easily put people on ranges.

For some unknown reason people think it is standard to be all in preflop in PLO with  AAxx vs KKxx. And in PLO8 with AAxx vs A2xx. Cant get enough of it myself as i just sit back watch the carnage as i slowly chip up and take the nice easy cash.

This whole thread has been a breath of fresh air anyway. Talking about a lesser played variant with the passion it deserves. And the honesty of the comments like i played it bad or i got very lucky. Keep it going, always a pleasure to read stuff like this
  • edited October 2013
    played the gtd plo8 mtt last night
    decided to tighten up based on your comments tikay in this diary
    as it is I bubbled
    but it was much more relaxing playing than the usual white knuckle ride
    so might just continue with this
    thanks
  • edited October 2013
    Lovely Post Mr Phantom.   I don't use "£x per hour" because it does not really work for me, but yes, it's a good way to measure progress. I get to play most nights, but for varying periods, & nothing will change that, it's not like I can say I'll always play x hours per day. So, for me, "£x per day" works OK.   Incidentally, these dreams turn to dust when I have a few losing days on the trot - & I always do! Then, the run-good returns, & so do the dreams...... The human mind is a wondrous thing. Today, I can beat the game. Tomorrow, not so much. Thats the whole beauty & fascination of poker.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I don't normally use £/hour to track my overall play - that's usually a simple measure of cash balance. I think when daydreaming of using winnings or thinking about giving up a day job - it can be a very sobering measure. It also helps me prioritise if I have some work to do and fancy a game of poker - the work still pays more and there are customers to keep happy so that needs to be done first (or occasionally at the same time).

I am using £/hr on my thread to make a direct comparison between 6max and dym's at the same level. Intuitively I knew the ROI would be better on 6max - but I thought with shorter tourneys and more volume allowing multi-tabling that £/hr would be a closer run thing.

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : To make a fair comparison you really need to look at how much money you had 'tied up' in the poker account at the start, and what the balance is at the end of the year. But it can never be a fair comparison, because I've never had fun handing money to a bank cashier and leaving it there! I record my results. Tend not to look at them too much, as 'how I'm playing' is more important. But when I started about a year ago I said I'd try to win enough to buy a few nice things as treats - and I still have that to look forward to ;)
    Posted by bbMike
    Yes that's true Mike, your bankroll isn't earning interest in poker account so it's not just about ROI on your buy-ins.
  • edited October 2013

Due to workload, & the SPT, there have been no updates since Friday, so I'd best get sorted.

Played two very short sessions over the weekend, & a big session last night, so I'll consolidate them all into one report.

Some BAD news, & some GOOD news.......

Talk about swingy & swongy......

• edited October 2013

Monday:  

Played 19, Won 7, Lost12 

The 19 were composed of....

0 x £2.25.

19 x £5.50. Won 7, lost 12.

0 x £11.00.

Total invested yesterday = £104.50

Total invested this month = £1,276.15

Monday's Average Game Stake = £5.50

Overall Average Game Stake = £6.94

Monday’s Average Profit/Loss per game = £1.82

PLO8 DYM Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.05

Net Profit/Loss on Day = £34.50

Original Bankroll - £200

Current bankroll £191.70

Loss/Profit on month = £9.70

Loss/Profit overall = £8.30

Reward Points earned Wednesday - 95

Reward Points in month = 3,003

These Profit & Loss numbers EXCLUDE October Reward Points payment, currently worth £45.05
  • edited October 2013

PLO8 DYM's.....

Played 184

Won 100

Lost 84
  • edited October 2013

A dreadful session last night, winning just 4 of 14, & 7 of 19 over the 3 sessions.

Really don't quite know how that happened. Combo of poor concentration, a bit of bad play which proved crucial, maybe a bit of run-bad, thouigh not much, more an absence of run-good I suppose.

Coming on the back of a good run, & after aching to get back onto it after a weekend away at the SPT, a bit cross with myself really.

I made one dreadful error at the "shove" stage of one DYM, when 4 players were left, & I was in the BB next hand. I always prefer to shove with a particular hand texture, but I was being a bit sloppy, & hoped I could get the shove through without a call. Once called, my 10-10-2-2 HAD to be in trouble, especially as I only had the High to aim for. It came all low, & for the rubs, the deuce rivered, to give me a set, & Matey Boy the wheel. Cup runneth over & all that.....

Feel a bit like that dreaded day every year at School, when ther School Report was published......

• edited October 2013

But................

• edited October 2013

Yes, every cloud has a silver lining, because I got a pleasant surprise, which made me a good few bob.

I passed the 3,000 Reward Points threshold last night, so now I get 50% EXTRA Reward Points for the entire month, so £30 suddenly became £45.

How pleased was I?!

So, at least £45 to come in Reward Points Payment, and that is almost 25% of my Bankroll, & will make a huge difference once I add it to my Bankroll, & reported numbers. Effectively, my "bankroll" gets a 25% boost, just like that.  

Happy days.

• edited October 2013
    played the gtd plo8 mtt last night decided to tighten up based on your comments tikay in this diary as it is I bubbled but it was much more relaxing playing than the usual white knuckle ride so might just continue with this thanks
    Posted by GELDY
    "tighten up" in PLO8 is good Gelders.

I know a man who never saw a PLO8 he did not want to play, so he plays EVERY hand.

It's the quickest way for other players at the table to sort the wheat from the chaff, they don't need to check Sharkscope, immediately you see someone limping in every hand, you know their abilities.

Over time, they MUST lose a lot of money, whereas being more selective is the way to profitability. Or that's my theory, anyway. Good job I have a Plan B then..... 
  • edited October 2013

Tonight will be an awkward session, as I'm playing the UKOPS Main, & I also have to do a few phone-ins to the TV Show.

Concentrate.........

• edited October 2013

MUCH better day yesterday (Tuesday), where I swung better than I swong.
  • edited October 2013

Tuesday:

Played 15, Won 11, Lost 4

The 15 were composed of....

1 x £2.25, Won 0, lost 1

12 x £5.50. Won 10, lost 2.

2 x £11.00, Won 1 lost 1

Total invested yesterday = £90.25

Total invested this month = £1,366.40

Tuesday's Average Game Stake = £6.01

Overall Average Game Stake = £6.86

Tuesday’s Average Profit/Loss per game = £1.98

PLO8 DYM Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.20

Net Profit/Loss on Day = £29.75

Original Bankroll - £200

Current bankroll £221.45

Loss/Profit on month = £40.25

Loss/Profit overall = £21.45

Reward Points earned Wednesday - 83

Reward Points in month = 3,086

These Profit & Loss numbers EXCLUDE October Reward Points payment, currently worth £47.79
  • edited October 2013

PLO8 DYM's.....

Played 199

Won 112

Lost 86
  • edited October 2013

After the nightmare day on Monday, Lady Variance was in a much better mood yesterday, resulting in 11 wins out of 15.

It began badly, with 2 more losses to follow Monday's bloodbath,  but that was immediately followed by a run of NINE straight wins, 8 x £5.50 & one by £11.

It could only go downhill from there, & the final 4 were split 2-2, although that included an £11er loss, which caused a £20 swing the wrong way.

My luck came in an odd way, perhaps a way that many might not recognize. Three times I was the Table Shortie with 4 players left, but the Big Stacks decided to go to war, & one bust the other, so I sneaked wins by the back door, whilst doing nothing. How neat is that? And why would the Big Stacks do that? When I have a "winning" stack with 4 left, I let the others do all the work, why get involved? Proper lazy, me.

In two others, on the bubble, the shorter stack got it in good versus a bigger stack, but got outdrawn. Not sure why, but I find it strangely fulfilling to sit quietly whilst the other stacks bust each other un-necessarily.

Concentration was not a problem as such, despite playing the UKOPs Main (un which I made a proper fool of myself by mangling 2 hands dreadfully), & doing two phone-calls to the Show, which demsand quite a biot of mental juggling if plsaying several tables at the time. Had a bit of a minor domestic crisis mid-evening, too, which caused a flurry of texts & phone calls which I could have done without. 

Incredibly, whilst I was juggling the Main Event, several DYM's, the Live Phone-Ins to the Show & the domestic prob, IDCU came onto my Chat box & promptly announced I was being ripped a new one by James, Joe & Sam in the Studio. I was very grateful for that news at that time, Steve, thanks..... mind you, I deserved it, I proper mangled 2 hands.

Sam said some lovely personal things about me though, which heartened me muchly. Sugar-coating the lemon & all that. 

A very enjoyable day, overall.

Thought the Show was absolutely terrific, with tons of energy & enthusiasm. James is top class, & Joe & Sam were great guests.    

• edited October 2013
    "a run of NINE straight wins, 10 x £5.50 & one by £11."

Obviously your poker is better than your maths!

Seriously, I watched a couple of the Omaha Hi-Lo DYMs last night, I didn't see a single mistake.