You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013

Think I ran about neutral as to luck yesterday, got unlucky a few times, got lucky a few times. Standard stuff really.

The most satisfying win came in a £5.50, in which I got quartered in the very first level.

It was against my old & splendidly rotund Welsh friend, DAIBOOT.

I flopped the nut low, with 2nd nut flush re-draw, and top pair. Time to get some chips in the middle. I got there on the turn, & DAIBOOT was shovelling chips in. Pretty sure he has the same nut low as me, & I'm going to quarter him. "quartering" opponents is always good, one of those per DYM & you ought to win.

Instead, the biter got bit, as he had the nut low AND the nut flush, so it was me that got quartered.

Did I make a mistake here, in getting the lot in with nut/2nd nut?

I don't think so, oppo usually has one end locked in these spots, but we are playing for scoops or three quarters, & this was a tremendous & very rare spot. I nearly fainted when he showed up with nut-nut! "Nut-nut" is my favourite situation in PLO8, does not happen often, but it is a thing of beauty when it does.

So, we have a problem now, down to 1,000 chips (half starting stack) in Level One. In fact, more of a challenge than a problem.

Decided to seriously nit up, don't call ANYTHING, just fold fold fold. At 10/20, we don't want to raise out of a half stack, as it is PL, & nobody is going to be worried about calling 70 from a short stack. We'll likely end up with at least 3 callers, & we are a dog with ANY hand 4 way. 

So just sat there, fold fold fold. I needed to get to Level 5 or 6 with a full pot bet behind, & then do the old heave-ho thing.

With a little help from Lady Luck, it worked a treat. Was down to 825 @ 100-200, found the perfect shoving hand (A-K-K-2) & I made it 700, got re-raised by A-2-3-4 (!!!), & we scooped. BOOM! 

5 players left now, I have 10 Bigs (plenty in these DYM's) & I'm not even Table Shortie.

Without playing another hand, there were two quick KO's, & bingo, I've cashed. VERY satisfying, best win of the night. 

Less satisfying was a bad play I made earlier. Had 1,100 @ 150-300, a very playable stack, & was "looking for a spot" with a two-way hand. HAS to be a two way hand. Found Q-Q-3-6 Double Suited. It was early position, but not quite enough to get it in, & I could afford to wait another orbit if nesessary - 900 chips is the key number here.

For some reason, I decided to pot it with this very marginal affair, & walked into ALEXIS who had A-A-K-2! Alexis is as solid as they get in these PLO8 DYM's, he plays technically perfect, so I knew the score immediately, but I could not fold for 200 more, so I needed to get very lucky. I failed. Pretty cross with myself really, I could & should have shown more patience.

Thing is, in the late stages, we DO need to nick a pot or two. We do this, ideally, with any 2-way hands in late position, & if we know the Blinds are able to find a fold unless they have a monster. Easier to pot with a marginal than call with a decent hand, of course. Bit daft to pot with a marginal in early position, too, when I still had enough chips to let the blinds go through once more.

Oddly, ALEXIS outdrew me badly in another one. He was shortish, I had a giant stack, & I had good Aces, & he'd potted from the button. Generally we always want to be first to bet, especially against a good oppo, we csn even fold Aces in some spots, but this was too good to resist, & I twice-covered him in chips anyway. He showed up with spanners, K-9-9-7 or somesuch, but did a get. Bleurgh.

I folded Aces pre three times last night. Sometimes it is just better to do that rather than tangle, especially as I had the win locked up already.

I actually folded Aces once last night when I was 3rd in chips with 4 players left! One chap, playing 4 Bigs, was limping in every hand. As a general rule, this guy HAS to bust out very soon. Sad, but true.

An enjoyable & satisfying evening. 

More of the same tonight, & I hope any of you at a loose end will come & see what these PLO8 DYM's are all about - fun!

Ivanovic joined us for a few games yesterday.

He is "handy", & perfectly understands PLO & PLO8 calling & shoving ranges. He (correctly) folded K-K-x-x v me on one occasion.

If I pot-pot in early Levels, I HAVE to have the Aces, & good Aces. Nothing else, zilch, nada. Very few others can make that fold. We had plenty of banter, too. He plays good, & is young enough to be a policeman.             

• edited November 2013

Crikey, I did it again. Once I start, I can't stop. That Post is WAY too long to be easily digestible.

Have sent myself a Memo.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    With a little help from Lady Luck, it worked a treat. Was down to 825 @ 100-200, found the perfect shoving hand (A-K-K-2) & I made it 700, got re-raised by A-2-3-4 (!!!), & we scooped. BOOM! 
    Posted by Tikay10
    sorry Tikay, how did you scoop when he has the same/better lo
    or is scoop still the correct lingo for when it is a hi only board (i´d assumed it was for winning hi & lo but maybe that´s my mistake)

ps great read - keep it up - although slightly fewer words would be ok
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : sorry Tikay, how did you scoop when he has the same/better lo or is scoop still the correct lingo for when it is a hi only board (i´d assumed it was for winning hi & lo but maybe that´s my mistake) ps great read - keep it up - although slightly fewer words would be ok
    Posted by GELDY
    I scooped because the Low never came. It really is hard to grasp why so many players want to get it in with a Low only, but they do, & I'm not complaining!

A "scoop" is ANY pot where you get the lot, either both pots, or if there is no low, the high. However, when we are dealt two way hands, these are always deemed potential "scoop" hands. The whole idea of the game is to try for scoops, nothing else. 

"slightly fewer words"....lol, not wrong. Can't help myself at times.  
  • edited November 2013
    No, not "slightly fewer words" please!

There is precious little Omaha Hi-Lo talk on here, anything that helps spread the gospel and explains how things work is beneficial.

I prefer a long, rambling post that explains everything as we go to a short sharp one that is 50% abbreviations and assumes everyone knows why it is "obv" that he had to make that call anyday.
  • edited November 2013

FCHD, thanks, that is the other side of the coin, of course.

I start with the assimption that potential readers have never played the game, so yes, I do explain the basics at length.

I love that game, & want more people to discover the beauties of it. So the best way to do that is to try & explain it properly, in a way that newbies can understand.

A lot of people ask, or complain, to me, "why are there not more PLO PLO8 Tourneys in UKOPS, & on the daily schedule generally?"

The answer is simple, lack of interest/demand. No point saying "sort it out Sky", the answer is to spread the word. You can't blame the site, sometimes it is a 2 way thing, both parties need to do something.

PLO8 DYM liquidity has shot up during the last few months, so it can be done. PLO liquidity (DYM's) remains very very low, but I might try & persuade folks to try those soon, too.   

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : OK, no trains. Concrete interest you? Sorry to hear about Dad, hope things soon improve. Dads are the best thing in the world, ever ever ever.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I prefer planes to be honest as my father is a pilot and an aerospace engineer and I have an interest on them. My mum was also a flight attendant so when they both worked back in the days I had the opportunity to travel the world. I wish they were still working now as I have grown up and I could do more things in the plays we visited but can't change that. They gavem me the opportunity to visit the world. 

Thanks for the wishes TK. I appreciate it. Hopefully things will get better in the future. Fingers crossed. 
  • edited November 2013
    Hi TK

Just to let you know , i'm an avid reader of this thread.
    Please keep it up
    Cheers
    Mick
  • edited November 2013
    Mr K...
    Noticed that there is an omaha game in the February fest, and may give the sats a try but...not played omaha before, so any brief (BRIEF!!)  tips/hints/guides etc would be useful
    Ta
    Mother
  • edited November 2013
    Mr K... Noticed that there is an omaha game in the February fest, and may give the sats a try but...not played omaha before, so any brief (BRIEF!!)  tips/hints/guides etc would be useful Ta Mother
    Posted by Amarie
    MOTHER!

I'll reply after the Daily Groan/Update later this morning.

Can't promise "brief" though......

For those not aware, MOTHER plays tons of PLO8 DYM's, & is greatly respected by all the players who know what they are doing.

Her pre-flop hand selection is excellent, she understands calling & betting ranges though she may not even realise that. If she re-pots it, she is almost certainly ahead, or in good shape. Folds her SB if her hand is not good, too, happy to give "walks" in the mid stages onwards, which is EXACTLY correct in DYM's. Rarely limps into pots after Level 4.

Never complains when bad-beated, either.

Much respect, MOTHER.

If only the Daughter was half as good, eh?
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I prefer planes to be honest as my father is a pilot and an aerospace engineer and I have an interest on them. My mum was also a flight attendant so when they both worked back in the days I had the opportunity to travel the world. I wish they were still working now as I have grown up and I could do more things in the plays we visited but can't change that. They gavem me the opportunity to visit the world.  Thanks for the wishes TK. I appreciate it. Hopefully things will get better in the future. Fingers crossed. 
    Posted by GreekWay[/
    QUOTE]

That really is a bittersweet Post, George.

It's so good that you really appreciate what your parents did for you, but so sad that Dad is currently unwell.

Good-vibes sent, I really hope things improve soon.
  • edited November 2013

Tuesday 5th November

Played 22

Won 12

Lost 10

Split....

£2.25 - Played 2, won 1, Lost 1

£5.50 - Played 19, won 11, lost 8

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £6.00

REWARD POINTS = 111

BANKROLL at close of Play = £246.95

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 705
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 92

Won 53

Lost 39

Win-rate, November, 57.6%
  • edited November 2013

Really interesting & challenging sesion last night.

No matter how hard I tried, I coiuld not get ahead of the win count. Lost the first, won the next, then went W L W L W L L L W W & so on.

Eventually managed 4 wins on the pounce, promptly followed by 3 losses.

Only one x £11-er started all evening, & managed to lose that in hilarious fashion, when my good aces were busted by 9-9-9-3.

I kept trying, concentrating, really trying to get ahead. Was lucky enough to win the last 2 games, which got me the right side of the Win Count by 2, so that was a relief. Think I'd have played on if I lost those two.

A £6 loss on the day felt like a win in the end, to be truthful.

Wrong way to look at it, but if I'd have won that £11er, I'd have ended nicely ahead on the day. As it was, despite the 12-10 count, the loss of the £11er, meant that I did not win enough to cover the Reg Fees. In truth, a win rate yesterday of 54.5% is not good enough, 55% is needed to break even, & the target has to be 60%.

On the bright side.....

Loads of games going, despite the Champions League Football. Had 3 Tables on the go all evening, 4 sometimes, that's as good as it gets in PLO8 DYM's. Sadly, only the one @ £11 though. I register for EVERY £5.50 & up as soon as the Table spawns, & they fill pretty quickly once someone has regged.

On average, a new Table opened every 15 minutes. OK, it's not 'Stars, but for a UK facing independent site, that's astonishing considering it is PLO8.

Earned 111 Reward Points, so now have 705 (£7.05) after 5 days. Won't be able to play tomorrow (doing the Show), or put any volume in over the weekend (things to do, places to go, concrete to mix....), so today will be my last decent session until Sunday or Monday. 

Most enjoyable, a bit of uphill & into the wind is never a bad thing, it tests the resolve a treat. 

Overall, happy, the £200 is £246, the Octover Reward Points cash arrives tomorrow (£49.97) & has not been included in the numbers, & there is £7 on the board in Reward points for November already.

Bit like my old school reports.

Tony does try, but he needs to improve. Might help if he talked a bit less.
  • edited November 2013
    still enjoy reading this tikay ..keep it up. agree amarie is a very solid player..just like macacgirl,enabler and a few others ...have a good session today
    Posted by churchy18
    Thanks churchy.

Don't really want to name all the good or solid players, as it may offend those I miss, but yes, Amarie, macacgirl, whizzewky, DavidCassi, macacgirl1, & Alexis are all very much to be respected. 

Several of them have played over 10,000 of these games on Sky Poker, one has 38,000 games to his credit!   

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: That really is a bittersweet Post, George. It's so good that you really appreciate what your parents did for you, but so sad that Dad is currently unwell. Good-vibes sent, I really hope things improve soon.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I just feel that if my parents haven't done most of the things that they have I wouldn't be the person I am today and I would definitely not be here today.

Altough I have made their life tough as they had to deal with all my expenses I think they are proud of me (although I have let them down coupe of times) and I am proud of them.
  • edited November 2013
    Mr K... Noticed that there is an omaha game in the February fest, and may give the sats a try but...not played omaha before, so any brief (BRIEF!!)  tips/hints/guides etc would be useful Ta Mother
    Posted by Amarie
    OK MOTHERRRRR.

If I were you, & you want to brush up on, or learn, PLO, I'd start with DYM's.

In DYM's we need two basic skills.

1) An ability to play whatever the format is - NLH, Heads Up, PLO, PLO8 etc.

2) An ability to grasp DYM concept.

Those two things are NOT connected.

Of the two, DYM concept is far & away the most important. John Connor wrote a lovely piece about DYM Strategy on here a while back, try & give that a read. However, you already execute the strategy beautifully in PLO8 DYM's, so that one is easy, job done. 

So, now the PLO bit, & we'll assume you are on top of DYM strategy generally.

Simply, one-pair hands, multi-way, rarely win. Even Aces. We want rundowns, gapped rundowns, that sort of thing, or even a big pair with extensions - Say, K-K-Q-J.  

PLO is a game of BIG cards & NUT hands. For newbies, take the view that 2nd nut is very often not good enough.

So we are looking for big cards that work together.

If my opponent showed me he had Aces pre-flop, & I'm playing deep enough, I would NEVER fold hands like this....

8-9-10-J

9-10-J-Q

10-J-Q-K

Take a flop, see what comes & if the flop fits, you are favourite against Mr A-A.

With, say, 8-9-10-J, a flop of 6-7-x-x is good, or any flop combo that you "wrap", 7-8-J, that sort of thing, is golden.

Beware of....

Under-Houses

Under-Straights

Paired Boards.

If you want, we can play some budget PLO DYM's for practice purposes, perhaps set an evening aside & play them back to back.

PS - Never, like NEVER NEVER NEVER, try & play PLO & PLO8 at the same time, an accident is inevitable, the two games need completely different mindsets. You'd need to "adjust your thinking" every time you are due to act on PLO, & then again, on PLO8. Do that for 2 or 3 hours, & there'll be a mighty big accident eventually.

Good luck.
  • edited November 2013
    Wow - thank you

Will try the tables tomorrow night, might even just watch a few tonight

Thanks

Motherrrrrrr

xx
  • edited November 2013

Wednesday 6th November

Played 19

Won 15

Lost 4

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 16, won 12, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 3, won 3, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £59.00

REWARD POINTS = 105

BANKROLL at close of Play = £305.95

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 810
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 111

Won 68

Lost 43

Win-rate, November, 61.2%
  • edited November 2013
    Wednesday 6th November Played 19 Won 15 Lost 4 Split.... £2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0 £5.50 - Played 16, won 12, lost 4 £11.00 - Played 3, won 3, Lost 0 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £59.00 REWARD POINTS = 105 BANKROLL at close of Play = £305.95 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 810
    Posted by Tikay10
    guess the answer to your headline must be yes
    or have you sold your soul to the devil?
  • edited November 2013

Oi oi!

Cracking day yesterday, 15 wins from 19, & won all three x £11 ers. £59 profit on the day ensued, though sobering to think that if I lost the three @ £11, I make nothing on the day.

Variance deffo took a right shine to me all evening. I had concentration issues during the UKPC Freeroll, as I wanted to follow that, & Update the Thread, but I got away with it somehow.

Was outrageously lucky on three occasions, too. Once, I had ONE BB, another chap had TWO BB's, & the 2 big stacks got the lot in & one went busto!

In another, two of us were VERY short. If the other shortie survived the blinds, he would have 35 chips left @ 300-600. I was hoping he'd not, of course, but he passed to bets & was left with 35 chips. I had 867 chips, would be in the BB the hand after next, & not enough chips to let the Blinds go through. I got dealt bad Kings, K-K-x-x, with no low, & decided I had no choice. (I generally pass bad K=K=x-x hands pre-flop, they are not much cop). Both Blinds called, inevitably & correctly, & I flopped top set! Two clubs though, & vey straighty, eek. The Turn paired the board, triple up, home & hosed. How lucky was that?

Really strange how variance, luck, runs of form, seem to ebb & flow. I've done OK lately, but mainly 2 steps forward & one step back, & that will continue, & a very bad day is overdue, but these special days are the greatest.

Think that is my best day yet at PLO8 DYM's. If only I could do that more often, but I can't.

Anyway, the £200 has now gone north of £300, so that's good. Later today, I get my October Reward Points payment, a shade unfer £50, so I'll have £350+ by tonight, from the original £200. Chuffed to bits. 

No play for me today though, unless I find a spare hour to play 2 or 3 later, as I've got the Show tonight. Might struggle to get a decent session in all weekend, too, as I've got real-life things to do. Deffo back on it Monday latest though.

Reward Points for November total 810 (£8.10), a good start for me, but a repeat of 3,000 this month looks out of the question. Still, I'll give it a good try, time permitting.

All good.  

• edited November 2013

Ha! Just got the text from Sky Poker.

"Your Sky Poker Rewards payment has been paid, & is available in your account".

Off to take a look in my "tikay1" account. Ooohhhh.

• edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : guess the answer to your headline must be yes or have you sold your soul to the devil?
    Posted by GELDY
    The devil long ago re-possessed my soul Geldy.

I think you are nice though, 8.5+.
  • edited November 2013

Strangely, I quit quite early last night. Silly really, but I just thogh "this luck can't last".

We've all been there - £x ahead, try & make a bit more, then lose all the profit in the end. That would have messed with my head, so I decided an early night was in order.

The early  night was a fail, too. I noticed several friends of mine were all in the running for a Sky Poker Jackpot payout - Dooobs, JAKALLY, Mattbates, TommyD, so I had to go rail them. 

I've known JAKALLY since well before Sky Poker began, & he is a great & true friend, we met through golf. Had a night out with him & a bunch of degenerates at Wimbledon Dogs last week, to celebrate a good year for a punting collective called "FRED". Don't ask.

Doobs is a great friend, too. He was the first to insist on buying some of my action in my first (& every subsequent) WSOP PLO8 event, he takes a goodly % too, & has made a nice little profit from them. I had a bit of his action recently in a big Tourney on a French Site, the one which he won for €75,000 or so, & in which Scotty came 2nd for about €65,000. Lovely to have pals like that. 

Anyway, I bokked the lot of them! 

Good efforts last night though from JAKALLY, DOOOBS, TommyD, & of course, Matt "HighChair" Bates, who is on fire right now.    

• edited November 2013
    Seems like this is a win/win situation Tikay 
    You're making a few quid, which is always nice. More importantly though, you're having fun doing it.
  • edited November 2013
    Strangely, I quit quite early last night. Silly really, but I just thogh "this luck can't last". We've all been there - £x ahead, try & make a bit more, then lose all the profit in the end. That would have messed with my head, so I decided an early night was in order. The early  night was a fail, too. I noticed several friends of mine were all in the running for a Sky Poker Jackpot payout - Dooobs, JAKALLY, Mattbates, TommyD, so I had to go rail them.  I've known JAKALLY since well before Sky Poker began, & he is a great & true friend, we met through golf. Had a night out with him & a bunch of degenerates at Wimbledon Dogs last week, to celebrate a good year for a punting collective called "FRED". Don't ask. Doobs is a great friend, too. He was the first to insist on buying some of my action in my first (& every subsequent) WSOP PLO8 event, he takes a goodly % too, & has made a nice little profit from them. I had a bit of his action recently in a big Tourney on a French Site, the one which he won for €75,000 or so, & in which Scotty came 2nd for about €65,000. Lovely to have pals like that.  Anyway, I bokked the lot of them!  Good efforts last night though from JAKALLY, DOOOBS, TommyD, & of course, Matt "HighChair" Bates, who is on fire right now.      
    Posted by Tikay10

Sigh.  I was on for the jackpot too.  Thought we were best buds Tikay?  Obviously the admiration only goes one way.  I certainly don't have a poster of you on my wall... honest.  Seriously I don't.  ;)

Good to see that your making a decent profit on DYMs.  I've found that DYMs, for me at least, is one of the hardest forms of the game to beat.  Everyone is so incredibly nitty and it can become a lottery late on when everyone is so shallow.  That and I get bored relatively easily.  You obviously have a lot of patience sir and certainly know when to make your move.

Long may the good results continue.  Don't you ever fancy just treking over to NLHE once in a while to play the odd tournament?  Theres nothing better than winning a tournament...
  • edited November 2013
    Wow - thank you Will try the tables tomorrow night, might even just watch a few tonight Thanks Motherrrrrrr xx
    Posted by Amarie
    No offence but if TK calls you Mother how old are you?

Supposing that TK is close to 100 years old you must be at least one and a half century old.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No offence but if TK calls you Mother how old are you? Supposing that TK is close to 100 years old you must be at least one and a half century old.
    Posted by GreekWay
    Ooh.

I only call her MOTHER to distinguish her from the DAUGHTER, JamieLouis. There is a FATHER and an UNCLE, too, all from Bury or Rochdale or somewhere equally dreadful. They play all the SPT's, & are genuinely SPT "family".

Mother is not as old as you infer, she's about the same age as CTBN.