You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Shame, I thought this was going to be the first time ever that a "Sky is Rigged" post was going to be originated by one of the on-screen talent, as you'd have to admit, if there were 5 Jacks in play for a hand, that would have consitituted "rigged" poker!!!! Of course someone reads your thread, it is the only "diary" type thread that I read on a regular basis
    Posted by FCHD
    Groan, this is my little sanctuary away from all that "rigged" stuff!

I can lose my money quite easily without any jiggery-pokery. ;) 
  • edited November 2013

Saturday 8th November

Played 12

Won 7

Lost 5

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 8, won 3, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 4, won 4, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £22.00

REWARD POINTS = 80

BANKROLL at close of Play = £382.14

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 934
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 131

Won 79

Lost 52

Win-rate, November, 60.3%
  • edited November 2013

Brief session yesterday, as I had things to do, places to see, allotments to weed. 

Started terribly, when I made a dreadful newbie error, & this messed with my mind a bit.

It was early in a £5.50, I had two nut draws, (one to each end) but no made hand, just one pair, & somehow, THREE players got all-in, & it was down to me to call or fold.

This would be a daft call, my Low may get chopped 3 ways, there MAY be 2 Exits, & I don't need to take such a big risk, as I can win this without getting involved.

So I called...... Heaven knows what I was thinking.

It was THE most basic, Level One, dreadful error.  I missed the lot - deservedly - & two players exited, but I was down to a bowl, & could not recover.

Anyway, it was like a slap in the chops, & I got myself back on track & concentrated properly.

Enormously fortunate that despite my Batting Average not improving (P12, W7 L 5) I only played 4 @ £11, & won all four. That makes a HUGE difference to the P & L on the day, so a £22 profit ensued, which I'd deffo take every day of the week.

Been a great November so far, after treading water all of November, the £200 has near-doubled in 9 days. The downswing is expected any time now.....

• edited November 2013

Sunday 9th November

Played 12

Won 6

Lost 6

Split....

£5.50 - Played 11, won 6, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £11.50

REWARD POINTS = 65

BANKROLL at close of Play = £370.64

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 999
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 143

Won 85

Lost 58

Win-rate, November, 59.44%
  • edited November 2013

Missed break, slowly away, rapid late progress, badly bumped last, ran on well

Never at the races yesterday in a truncated session.

Couple of nasty spots early, (notably, quartered for the lot with nut low & 2nd nut high) then always on catch-up. Got back to blue numbers late on, then promptly lost the only £11 than ran all evening. Won the last two £5.50 jobbies to limit the damage to an £11.50 loss.

That loss in the £11 game was crucial, & turned an acceptable day into a losing day. The solution to this is volume - I need to pump up the volume considerably to massage these swings & swongs on a small sample size. 

Fun evening though, & the atmo on the Tables was good, with plenty of new faces to PLO8 DYM's on the tables. This has to be a good thing, & the liquidity is insreasing nice & steadily now.

Only had time to play for a few hours as my allotment needed weeding, but had 3 Tables on the go non-stop, 4 at times, which is really great news as to improved traffic in these.

10 days into November, & 999 Reward Points, so that's another tenner banked. 2,000 should be very achievable, 3,000 will be a real struggle, but I will have a good bash, as the 3,000 threshold makes such a huge difference on this low-margin stuff & a relatively small 'roll.  

More volume it is then, so that's the plan for this coming week. 750 Reward Points this week is a tall order for me, but I'll have a bash. 100 per day Monday to Thursday, 120 per day Friday thro Sunday. Easy. Ish. 

• edited November 2013
    It's a hand that I would probably shove in a MTT but maybe pass in a DYM
    Posted by FCHD

Hi FCHD,

So if I was in the same situation in a DYM, what hand would be the minimum for shoving in this spot?

• edited November 2013
    That very much depends on a) how many players are left in, and b) what the other stacks are. As the sole aim is to survive. these can be "won" with a fraction of a big blind, and having two or more players with 2BB or less on the bubble can be common. Allowing yourself to drift down well below what would normally be seen as a shoving stack is accepted DYM practice (at least it is on the low levels on which I play!)
  • edited November 2013
    That very much depends on a) how many players are left in, and b) what the other stacks are. As the sole aim is to survive. these can be "won" with a fraction of a big blind, and having two or more players with 2BB or less on the bubble can be common. Allowing yourself to drift down well below what would normally be seen as a shoving stack is accepted DYM practice (at least it is on the low levels on which I play!)
    Posted by FCHD
    I would agree with that. Let the others do the work where possible, more often than not they'll do the job for you.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I would agree with that. Let the others do the work where possible, more often than not they'll do the job for you.
    Posted by Tikay10
    HI TK,  enjoying the read/ride.  As you know I enjoy the odd plo8.  For some reason tho I cash more often in the £11 jobbies!  NOt sure why tho.  Maybe see you at the tables this week.  I' m still playing way too many hands but I'm trying!!   Also, re bold above,  I have actually cashed in a dym without playing a hand!

Slightly off topic but, did you notice google  had done a celebration in recognition of Raymond Loewy the other day? I'm guessing you will have heard of him.  TBH I hadn't but what an amazing man!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : HI TK,  enjoying the read/ride.  As you know I enjoy the odd plo8.  For some reason tho I cash more often in the £11 jobbies!  NOt sure why tho.  Maybe see you at the tables this week.  I' m still playing way too many hands but I'm trying!!   Also, re bold above,  I have actually cashed in a dym without playing a hand! Slightly off topic but, did you notice google  had done a celebration in recognition of Raymond Loewy the other day? I'm guessing you will have heard of him.  TBH I hadn't but what an amazing man!
    Posted by Glenelg
    Thanks Pads.

Your game has improved noticeably since you stopped playing so many hands, if you don't mind me saying so, & I don't want you on my left these days. Be good to see you on the Tables today, & this week, as I am trying to play more games this week. 

My record in £11-ers is similar, in November, something like P20, W14, L6, which is much better than I manage generally. Maybe I concentrate more, I'm just not sure.

I did see the Raymond Loewy thing, thanks to my favourite website on earth, google. I'd never heard of him, but I went-a-googling, & discovered he was an incredible force for change, & you can see his influence in all sorts of ways & places.

Here's a potted history of the great man, from my 2nd favourite website, Mr Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Loewy

• edited November 2013

Well that link to Raymond Loewy certainly set the thread on fire, exactly as designed.....
  • edited November 2013
    Monday 11th November

Played 21

Won 14

Lost 7

Split....

£2.25 - Played 3, won 2, Lost 1

£5.50 - Played 14, won 10, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £20.25

REWARD POINTS = 119

BANKROLL at close of Play = £390.89

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,118
  • edited November 2013
    I reckon we were all stunned into silence, while absorbing all that information and knowledge.
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 164

Won 99

Lost 65

Win-rate, November, 60.36%
  • edited November 2013

Started like a train yesterday, & was heading for a record daily profit with 14 wins from 17, but then the mood of Miss Variance - who had hitherto been all sweetness & light - turned sour, & I lost three in a row (£2 x £5.50 & 1 x £11) for a £40 swing the wrong way. She is such a diva.

Still, recouped Sunday's £11 loss, with £9 on top, so really cannot complain. Seemed to run unbelievably hot for most of the session.

Plenty of games going, too, with lots of newbies on the Table, & I had 3 or 4 Games going at a time, all evening, & got the 21 games finished inside 5 hours.

119 Reward Points was good, too, so with 1,118 in total for November now, that's £11 banked for next Month already, after 11 days.

Wonder what sort of mood SWMNBM (She Who Must Not be Mentioned) will be in tonight?

We shall see shortly, am about to get started.

All good.

• edited November 2013

Tuesday 12th November

Played 21

Won 11

Lost 10

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

£5.50 - Played 16, won 9, lost 7

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £4.25

REWARD POINTS = 123

BANKROLL at close of Play = £386.64

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,241
  • edited November 2013
    Shows how hard it is to beat the rake at DYMs.
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 185

Won 110

Lost 75

Win-rate, November, 59.45%
  • edited November 2013
    Shows how hard it is to beat the rake at DYMs.
    Posted by FCHD
    Yup, but it has to be part of the equation, so it does not trouble me.

At level stakes though, on the £5.50 & £11 jobbies, I need to win more than 55% of them, anything above that is clear profit, & then any Reward Points income counts as a Bonus. I received just shy of £50 for October, & I'm looking to get at least £25 this month, minimum.

The Double Rewards Week helped me in October, of course, so this month its a lot harder, but I am going to at least try for 3,000+ Points, which would be £45+. 

2,500 points is more likely though. I'm averaging just over 100 points per day at present, & hope to have a few big sessions this weekend of 150 each. We'll see.

Did you enjoy your PLO8 DYM's last night? Plenty of players limp/calling, I'm guessing?  

• edited November 2013
    Yes, I enjoyed them. I only played 4 (as I was watching the live show and had one or two other things to do), the first one played really free and loose, the middle two played much the same as the £2.25 ones, and the last one went on for ages, Over three quarters of an hour, I think the blinds got to 600/1200 (I was out by then), which four handed meant the *average* stack was 2.5BB if I'm doing my maths correctly. Small stacks were hitting almost every time, and there was a lot (and I would say 80% or more) of chopped pots.

One player whom I played on two tables really improved their game from the first game to the second. Good for the game, not good for my winning percentage.

Will do a few more tonight, always glad to help spread the word
  • edited November 2013

Interesting session yesterday, could never quite get my nose in front.

I deffo had some concentration issues, not an excuse, but thats the way it was.

I'd set off from home at 0430, driven 4 hours to Leeds, had 3 hours of Meetings about UKPC, then immediately driven the 4 hours back. My car is nice & comfy, & driving is not stressy, but 11 hours is a goodly time to be concentrating even before I began my poker session, especially at my age.

I'm dieting, too, so never ate anything until 6pm, which does not help.

Was watching the Dog racing on Sky Sports, too, then a Kennedy Documentary.

These things all take the edge off concentration.

My bad totally, daft really, but I should have had a night off maybe, but it does relax me so to play, sitting there nice & quietly on my own.

Twice during the evening an opponent complained at how long the games were taking. 2 players had 9,500 between them, & another chap & myself were clinging on, trying to find the right spot to shove, so we were passing everything, even the SB, until we found something, whilst the other two deep-stacked lads were both limping into every hand, so as to be 2 handed v us when either of us shoved. So one of them said "tikay is trying to win by default, he's just passing, but its making the game last too long".

Sorry 'bout that mate......

Later, exact repeat, & the Big Stack was really getting cross with the two shorties, one of whom was me. Eventually I found my spot, & got it in, & busted the other shortie. At which Mr Chunter says "there you go, thats how you should play the game". 

Much appreciated, bud, much appreciated......

Anyway, we got away with it for a £4 loss, quite pleased all things considered. No excuses today, though.....

I plan to make a further small tweak to my game today, as I'm still not happy with a 60% Win Rate (Games), & I need to add a few % points to that. 

LOT of games in the PLO8 DYM Lobby last night, as the £0.60 & £1.15 games were added, & it was a proper treat to see that Lobby so busy, I was chuffed to bits. 

It had no effect on the £5.50 or £11 games, either, I finished my 21 games in around 4 hours, so that's good, too.    

• edited November 2013
    Yes, I enjoyed them. I only played 4 (as I was watching the live show and had one or two other things to do), the first one played really free and loose, the middle two played much the same as the £2.25 ones, and the last one went on for ages, Over three quarters of an hour, I think the blinds got to 600/1200 (I was out by then), which four handed meant the *average* stack was 2.5BB if I'm doing my maths correctly. Small stacks were hitting almost every time, and there was a lot (and I would say 80% or more) of chopped pots. One player whom I played on two tables really improved their game from the first game to the second. Good for the game, not good for my winning percentage. Will do a few more tonight, always glad to help spread the word
    Posted by FCHD
    Wow, rarely do they reach that Level, I think 500-1,000 is the most I've seen. But a 2.5 or 3BB Average is not unusual at 300-600 or 400-800 when 5 or 6 handed.

Playing with a 3BB stack is quite interesting, & most unlike any other form of poker.

Amazingly, some folks still limp at that stage.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Wow, rarely do they reach that Level, I think 500-1,000 is the most I've seen. But a 2.5 or 3BB Average is not unusual at 300-600 or 400-800 when 5 or 6 handed.   Playing with a 3BB stack is quite interesting, & most unlike any other form of poker. Amazingly, some folks still limp at that stage.
    Posted by Tikay10
    And fold to a raise?
    Nothing wrong with that. Still got 2 bigs to play with
  • edited November 2013

Wednesday 13th November

Played 19

Won 11

Lost 8

Split....

£5.50 - Played 18, won 10, lost 8

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £15.50

REWARD POINTS = 95

BANKROLL at close of Play = £402.14

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,336
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 204

Won 121

Lost 83

Win-rate, November, 59.31%
  • edited November 2013
    Very impressive winrate for DYMs Tikay, wp.

I don't post here often but do read pretty much all your updates. I would like to get more into PLO in the near future... think I'll leave PLO8 til I have a good grasp of PLO though... one game at a time and PLO is the one I know more about at the mo
  • edited November 2013

Another fun evening, largely because it was all against the wind, & I could not seem to get a run of wins going, I started W-W-L-L-W-W-L-L, then I dug a hole by losing 3 on a row. In an odd way, I rather enjoy it when I have to really struggle.

Eventually, I found some form, & won 6 of the last 7 I played, including the sole £11er that ran all everning, & that got me over the line with a bit to spare.

Was a bit cross with myself for not one, but TWO misclicks, when I was not concentrating properly. One cost me a £5.50 win, the other I rather luckily got away with, when I somehow managed to hit a low with some spanners, against a top player who had Raised with the goods & had been a bit shocked when he saw my hand. Not as shocked as I was when I realised what I had done! The Chat Box suddenly came alive, as they know what hands I generally turn up with at Showdown, & this did not fit at all. Whoops. Cheap advertising, I suppose....

The Site seemed unusually quiet last night, & there were far less DYM's going at £5.50 & £11 than usual, so I often found myself one-Tabling, which is tough on the concentration, I need 2 or 3 minimum to play optimally & stop my eyes straying to poker forums, TV Documentaries, allotment dreams, & Concrete Society Newsletters. The new £0.60 & £1.15 ones seemed to be going well though, maybe because there was a glitch which appeared to give extra Reward Points!

I really hope there is more traffic tonight, & for the rest of the week, as I fell a little short of the "Games Played" Target last night, which I need for Reward Points.

I had a lovely surprise when I finished the session though - my Balance had popped its head above £400 for the first time since the Challenge began with £200. I have no doubt it will re-visit the 300's very soon again, though.....

A word at this time to put my "Challenge" into perspective - have you seen the amazing Challenge that GaryQQQ has just completed? In all the years I've been in poker, & on poker Forums, I've never seen anything as impressive. I know a lot of folks swoon at the thought of Tom Dwan or Phil Ivey, playing for eye-popping numbers, but it cuts no ice with me, & it is very rarely all their own money, often none of it is. It means nothing to me, they are not my "heroes" & never will be. What GaryQQQ did far exceeds any of that stuff, it really does. There is no such thing in my eyes as a "hero" in poker, that is such a nonsense term in that context, but if there were, it'd be chaps like Gary. Well done him.   
  • edited November 2013
    Very impressive winrate for DYMs Tikay, wp. I don't post here often but do read pretty much all your updates. I would like to get more into PLO in the near future... think I'll leave PLO8 til I have a good grasp of PLO though... one game at a time and PLO is the one I know more about at the mo
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks Paul.

It needs to be 55% to cover Reg Fees, so it is not that good, but it does the job. I am determined to improve that by a couple of % points though, I'm tweaking a few things. 60% or 61% would be perfect, over a sustained period, it would mean £25 or £30 per day profit (on average) & that'd do me nicely. Still, its easy to talk a good game, I now need to go do it!