You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 348

Won 207

Lost 141

Win-rate, November, 59.48%
  • edited November 2013
    See, that's two thirds of the previous day's losses recouped already.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    See, that's two thirds of the previous day's losses recouped already.
    Posted by FCHD
    I was never worried, not for a second. Much........
  • edited November 2013

Good session last night, marred only be being much shorter than usual. 11 wins from 14, including all 3 @ £11 that ran whilst I was on, was more than I could ever have hoped for, & recouped £40 of Monday's £60 debacle.

I changed a few things to my game at the start of November - aggression-based - & these have harvested better results, but it comes with the risk of increased variance of course. So I turned the dial down a bit last night, & played quite snug, which helped. I ran pretty good, too - obviously - & most of my hands held. Variance is much-maligned, but she is a decent old girl really.

In one almost comical game, I busted THREE players on the very first hand! I had good Aces, (A-A-2-3 Double Suited) & whilst it was maybe not optimal to go to war on Hand # 1, it just sort of happened. I was up against bad Kings, bad Queens, & K-Q-J-10. Incredibly, my danglers - 2-3 - won the high (two pairs) although my Aces held, too, & I took the low, as nobody else had any low cards & the board came all-low. That is deffo run-good.

Once I realised I was well ahead on the night, & with barely any £11 games running at the time (due to England v Germany I guess), I decided to lock up the profit & have an early night. I had already Registered for an £11 game, so I un-regged, but noticed that the Heavy Crew has just started regging for it. Once they start, the £11 games run back to back, but it would have been a 2am finish, & I decided an early night was in order.

I've decided I am going to go for 3,000 Reward Points in November, too. I have 2,300+ & there are 11 days left in November. I've got 2 Shows in that period, leaving me 9 days I can play. 3,000 points would give me a £45 Bonus. Given my 'roll size, that's a hefty lump. Just need to make sure I don't blow my profit in the interim. 

All good.    
  • edited November 2013

I just remembered, I also folded good aces - A-Q-Q-2 double-suited in one game last night.

I was sort of middle-chip, but the BB had half a Big Blind behind. I was UTG, but the Button was a chap who paid no heed to table or "stack-size" considerations, & was almost certain to pot it if I limped in. It just made no sense to get involved, so I found the Pass, & it all worked out nicely.

Folding Aces pre, what a thing, but excactly correct in that spot.
  • edited November 2013
    Unless I'm mistaken AQQ2 is called queens not aces ;)

In our game last night I also folded AQQ2ds. Also it seems every time I have a really nice looking playable hand you come along and raise me ;) First time of playing a PLO8 DYM and losing. Don't think I did anything wrong. AA into AA and losing the low half and splitting the high. Then the exit hand was somewhat unfortunate when BTN limp/call off my just less than 2bb stack with K435os. Only to hit a K and take it down (when I had all his other cards covered with an A)
  • edited November 2013
    so it's not just me then - in my 2nd hilo dym and first loss (of many to come no doubt)
    AK53ds vs AK431s
    split the hi, lose the lo
    it's such an amazing game

ps ivan, think you will find the esteemed mr kendall better at recognizing aces than typing them :)
  • edited November 2013
    Unless I'm mistaken AQQ2 is called queens not aces ;) In our game last night I also folded AQQ2ds. Also it seems every time I have a really nice looking playable hand you come along and raise me ;) First time of playing a PLO8 DYM and losing. Don't think I did anything wrong. AA into AA and losing the low half and splitting the high. Then the exit hand was somewhat unfortunate when BTN limp/call off my just less than 2bb stack with K435os. Only to hit a K and take it down (when I had all his other cards covered with an A)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic[/
    QUOTE]

Lol, I can always rely on my Typos being corrected. ;)

You look to me that you play PLO8 DYM's pretty good, & I am ever wary of you. So if I Pot it, be afraid......

I truly believe that beyond Level 4 or 5, these things are raise or fold, limping makes no sense at that stage. 

Keep it up Constable.   
  • edited November 2013

Wednesday 20th November

Played 25

Won12

Lost 13

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 19, won 10, lost 9

£11.00 - Played 6, won 2, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £36.00

REWARD POINTS = 160

BANKROLL at close of Play = £423.64

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,471

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 373

Won 219

Lost 154

Win-rate, November, 58.71%
  • edited November 2013

Not a great session, no matter how hard I tried, I could never quite get my head in front of the game-count, though it was touch & go all evening.

Losiong 4 of the 6 @ £11 made all the difference of course, extra painful as I won the first 2, then lost the next 4 of them, ugh.

Was not quite on my A-game, not entirely sure why, but I did seem to get the wrong side of the crucial flips more than normal. There are tons of 55/45 & 60/40 shots in these, on the crucial double or bust shove spots, & so over, say, 10,000 flips, it'll be fine, as I generally get it in good, but there are bound to be short runs which defy the maths.

Plenty of games for a Wednesday night, 25 is a goodly number, & huge compared to 2 months ago.

Doubt I'll play today, as I have the Show tonight, though I may open up a few before then, just to have a play on the new Software. Can't wait, to be honest, it should make a big difference to how many I play at a time, & I'm hoping there is enough liquidity eventually such that I can go from 2/3 on average, to between 4 & 6. We shall see. At the moment, I just feel I need to up the volume to make better progress, it's a numbers game, small return over a large sample works for me. 

All being well, I'll try & have a big weekend on these, hopefully without dropping too much money. ;)

Hope some of you come along & give The Beautiful Game a try out.    

• edited November 2013
    tried a PLO8 DYM last night for the first time - I can definately see why you find it relaxing: you expect bad beats more, and when they do happen you've only lost a tenner (I played an £11 one)... compare that to a holdem MTT, getting a bad beat on a final table or just before the big money etc can be soul destroying!

Sky have you to thank for increasing lquidity and encouraging players like me to give it a go. Part of the reason I played was to steal your blinds :D
  • edited November 2013

Quick shout-out to "footsie66", who generously done his own "Happy Hour" last night in PLO8 DYM's by entering loads between 8pm & 9pm at all levels, then deliberately sitting out.

Inevitably, some cynic asked "what is in it for him?". Clearly, he hoped to increase interest in the game, which would get more players in them. He is a winning player, so yes, he'd benefit, but it was an extraordinary gesture on his part, so fair play to him.

It did make the game dynamic VERY odd though! He actually "won" three of them, lol. 

I managed to lose one of them, too. The logic is very simple. 4 handed, as long as you have more chips than the "away" player, & everyone has sussed the situation, you can't lose. But not everyone realised the score, & so it was all a bit odd really.  I lay in 4th spot in one, behind the "away" players chip count, so I had to find a way to win a pot. The other lads - quite correctly of course - exercised their right to play back at me. Very odd dynamic, & I'm not sure it suited me, I just like to be able to play "naturally", but as long as there is no collusion, all's fair I suppose.

One of THE most fascinating aspects of these DYM's is when there are 4 left, & one player is very short. You'd think the tactics would be obvious, but in practice, it rarely works that way, & the big stacks often go to war, because of, I suppose, ego. As I'm often the shortie though, I'm not complaining.....;)   

• edited November 2013
    Quick shout-out to "footsie66", who generously done his own "Happy Hour" last night in PLO8 DYM's by entering loads between 8pm & 9pm at all levels, then deliberately sitting out. Inevitably, some cynic asked "what is in it for him?". Clearly, he hoped to increase interest in the game, which would get more players in them. He is a winning player, so yes, he'd benefit, but it was an extraordinary gesture on his part, so fair play to him.   It did make the game dynamic VERY odd though! He actually "won" three of them, lol.  I managed to lose one of them, too. The logic is very simple. 4 handed, as long as you have more chips than the "away" player, & everyone has sussed the situation, you can't lose. But not everyone realised the score, & so it was all a bit odd really.  I lay in 4th spot in one, behind the "away" players chip count, so I had to find a way to win a pot. The other lads - quite correctly of course - exercised their right to play back at me. Very odd dynamic, & I'm not sure it suited me, I just like to be able to play "naturally", but as long as there is no collusion, all's fair I suppose.   One of THE most fascinating aspects of these DYM's is when there are 4 left, & one player is very short. You'd think the tactics would be obvious, but in practice, it rarely works that way, & the big stacks often go to war, because of, I suppose, ego. As I'm often the shortie though, I'm not complaining.....;)      
    Posted by Tikay10
    I guess its an ICM thing, incase someone doubles you they put pressure on eachother. 

I donno im not an expert on ICM but ive heard of many much greater mtt players discussing this kind of thing. 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I guess its an ICM thing, incase someone doubles you they put pressure on eachother.  I donno im not an expert on ICM but ive heard of many much greater mtt players discussing this kind of thing. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    ICM would say don't take risks while you are the bigstack, especially if losing will put you in danger - its not your job to bust people. its better to let the shortstack stay short, and you not risk any chips - that way someone else can take the risk for me. Personally, I would be attacking the short stacks blinds until they got to the ponit of desperation (and will get it in light - around 3bb in a dym?) then I would leave it up to the others to find a hand and finish the job
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ICM would say don't take risks while you are the bigstack, especially if losing will put you in danger - its not your job to bust people. its better to let the shortstack stay short, and you not risk any chips - that way someone else can take the risk for me. Personally, I would be attacking the short stacks blinds until they got to the ponit of desperation (and will get it in light - around 3bb in a dym?) then I would leave it up to the others to find a hand and finish the job
    Posted by chicknMelt
    BOOM!

It's quite common to fold good Aces in such situations, too. I really subscribe to "let the others do the work/take the risks", too.

It is counter-intuitive to many though.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ICM would say don't take risks while you are the bigstack, especially if losing will put you in danger - its not your job to bust people. its better to let the shortstack stay short, and you not risk any chips - that way someone else can take the risk for me. Personally, I would be attacking the short stacks blinds until they got to the ponit of desperation (and will get it in light - around 3bb in a dym?) then I would leave it up to the others to find a hand and finish the job
    Posted by chicknMelt
    yeah im not sure how an mtt icm mindset would change for dyms, i dont play dyms dont have the right mentality for them, although thats not a discussion for tikays diary. 

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : BOOM! It's quite common to fold good Aces in such situations, too. I really subscribe to "let the others do the work/take the risks", too. It is counter-intuitive to many though.
    Posted by tikay1
    :-O  no...tikay...tight?! never!

I may have missed you doing it because I was playing lots of other tables, but, If I were you, I would take advatage of my image a wee bit more and steal a blind or 2. Of course, I know very little about PLO8, so it could be a stupid idea
  • edited November 2013
    Best of luck Tikay, rooting for you. If you ever want to play some HU 0/8 SNGs feel free to drop me a pm!
  • edited November 2013

Thursday 21st November

Played 1

Won1

Lost 0

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 1, won 1, lost 0

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £4.50

REWARD POINTS = 5

BANKROLL at close of Play = £428.14

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,476

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 374

Won 220

Lost 154

Win-rate, November, 58.82%
  • edited November 2013
  • edited November 2013

There, the shortest Daily Report ever!

I was working last night, but I was impatient to try the new software, & so managed to slot in one game.

Really, I need to try multi-tabling on it before I can form a balanced view of how it works, & all being well, I'll be doing so this weekend, when I plan to have a few major sessions, & get at least 80 games unfer my belt.

Lots of people are commenting strongly on the new software, but I think it needs a few days "getting used to", like a wife's new hairdo, before jumping to conclusions. My view is hardly likely to be unbiased, either, I guess, but by nature, I'm less inclined to be overly critical that most, I suppose, as I like to understand both sides of any debate.

Either way, it's a bit of software on a poker site, so nobody is gonna die.

Here, some perspective......

• edited November 2013
    Morning Tikay
    I agree with your comments on the new software.
    Its like when you've had a dog for years , then its gets ill so you decide to look for a new puppy.
    The new puppy arrives , but it takes you a while to get used to its character and different habits.
    You can resent it in the short term as its not like your old faithfull dog but you get to love it over time.

Have a good day
    Mick
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : :-O  no...tikay...tight?! never!   I may have missed you doing it because I was playing lots of other tables, but, If I were you, I would take advatage of my image a wee bit more and steal a blind or 2. Of course, I know very little about PLO8, so it could be a stupid idea
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I actually watched you very closely, as I was keen to see how you'd adjust to short-stacked PLO8. Most NLH players who try it are far too aggressive early doors. It simply does not work in these, not in the early levels, as people will call very wide, because there is such a variety of staring hands, & of course two pots up for grabs.

You looked a bit too aggro to me at first, & you soon won a few pots, but then you were taken to showdown a few times, & in fact you had excellent starting hands.

Remember, in PLO8, we get to Showdown most of the time, unlike NLH. I think you had K-K-x-x on one occasion, which, in truth, & imo, plays very badly in the early levels. One pair is rarely going to hold multi-way, & the low-chasers can so easily hit 2 pair. Early levels, I bin K-K-x-x pre-flop, unless it has an A and another low card with it.

Later, when the Blinds are big, & we are 4 handed, it's an OK hand to shove with I guess, but only if we desperately need to gamble. I'd shove with K-K-x-x late on, yes, but preferably I need a two way hand, with an emergency low. K-K=x-x with an Ace & another low card is of course a magnificent hand, as if an A falls, it does not kill our hand. K-K-x-x is SO vulnerable in PLO8. 

For what it's worth, I thought you adapted very well. Stay away, please.;)

Me, tight? Of course! VERY tight early, obsessively so. I pass pretty much 95% of hands, & don't even make up the Small Blind in Levels 1. Chip-preservation is vital. 

Use my "image" to steal? Early doors, no way. It is VERY hard to attempt to steal (at small blind levels) in PLO8, as we get called so wide by low-chasers. 4 handed, with the Blinds so big & when there is no post-flop play, yes, we steal then, even my range widens considerably. But even then, I have a preferred type of hand to shove with.

K-K-x-x with no low, or no Ace, I don't much like, I'd rather have two paint, an ace, and another low card. This gives me a shot at both ends, & in most cases we are being called by a one-way hand, so we are rarely in terrible shape.

The abso nuts late on, of course, is something like A-K-2-x, nothing will stop me shoving with this, unless of course there are two players already all-in, in which case it goes in the bin. My bin gets very full in a DYM, you know......

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, but I fear you are a fast learner, & might wreak havoc with my stats, so feel free to abstain from PLO8 DYM's in future, right?               

• edited November 2013
    Morning Tikay I agree with your comments on the new software. Its like when you've had a dog for years , then its gets ill so you decide to look for a new puppy. The new puppy arrives , but it takes you a while to get used to its character and different habits. You can resent it in the short term as its not like your old faithfull dog but you get to love it over time. Have a good day Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yes, a fair analogy that, Mick.

I am not saying the early angst & criticisms are wrong, or out of order, but I just believe we should not jump to conclusions too quickly over superficial bits & pieces. Most of them could, if bad, be easily changed, that's the very beauty of HTML5, a "fix" is almost instant in most cases.

I watched Michael Carberry in the first Ashes Test last night. Remarkable man, & story. He almost gave the game up, & became an electrician, but suddenly "found" his game @ County Level, then got selected as (presumably) a fall-back # 5 or 6 in the Test squad, then found himself opening in the first Test! Wow. And then some daft commentator commented after one over that he did not think Michael had the class necessary. Jeez, give the man a chance first! 

Have a great weekend, Mick.  

• edited November 2013
    I wasn't going to mention the cricket :-(
  • edited November 2013
    I wasn't going to mention the cricket :-(
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ugh, what gloomy news that was. 

I wrote the following little tale elsewhere this morning.....I have permission to steal it. ;)

"....Worked until midnight last night, then home, cook & eat dinner, & watch the Cricket until lunch before toddling off to bed.

Good start by England, Carberry going along well, decent score is probable.

As I drive to work this morning, the silly mare on Radio 4 says "Australia are in a commanding position in the first Test".

Why do they employ women to comment on sport, it's no surprise she got the two teams confused, only a woman could do that. Australia in a commanding position, don't be daft, we were well in control when I went to bed, with Lord KP about to enter the arena for Test # 100.

If only I had not opened Cricinfo when I got to work...."

I hasten to add, because this is a slightly different readership, less used to my dubious wit, that the piece was entirely tongue-in-cheek. Even Anna showed a deep insight into cricket on last night's Show, though she asked for a rain check when I suggested wo go watch every ball of a 5 day Test.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I actually watched you very closely, as I was keen to see how you'd adjust to short-stacked PLO8. Most NLH players who try it are far too aggressive early doors. It simply does not work in these, not in the early levels, as people will call very wide, because there is such a variety of staring hands, & of course two pots up for grabs.   You looked a bit too aggro to me at first, & you soon won a few pots, but then you were taken to showdown a few times, & in fact you had excellent starting hands. Remember, in PLO8, we get to Showdown most of the time, unlike NLH. I think you had K-K-x-x on one occasion, which, in truth, & imo, plays very badly in the early levels. One pair is rarely going to hold multi-way, & the low-chasers can so easily hit 2 pair. Early levels, I bin K-K-x-x pre-flop, unless it has an A and another low card with it. Later, when the Blinds are big, & we are 4 handed, it's an OK hand to shove with I guess, but only if we desperately need to gamble. I'd shove with K-K-x-x late on, yes, but preferably I need a two way hand, with an emergency low. K-K=x-x with an Ace & another low card is of course a magnificent hand, as if an A falls, it does not kill our hand. K-K-x-x is SO vulnerable in PLO8.  For what it's worth, I thought you adapted very well. Stay away, please.;) Me, tight? Of course! VERY tight early, obsessively so. I pass pretty much 95% of hands, & don't even make up the Small Blind in Levels 1. Chip-preservation is vital.  Use my "image" to steal? Early doors, no way. It is VERY hard to attempt to steal (at small blind levels) in PLO8, as we get called so wide by low-chasers. 4 handed, with the Blinds so big & when there is no post-flop play, yes, we steal then, even my range widens considerably. But even then, I have a preferred type of hand to shove with. K-K-x-x with no low, or no Ace, I don't much like, I'd rather have two paint, an ace, and another low card. This gives me a shot at both ends, & in most cases we are being called by a one-way hand, so we are rarely in terrible shape. The abso nuts late on, of course, is something like A-K-2-x, nothing will stop me shoving with this, unless of course there are two players already all-in, in which case it goes in the bin. My bin gets very full in a DYM, you know...... Anyway, I hope you enjoyed it, but I fear you are a fast learner, & might wreak havoc with my stats, so feel free to abstain from PLO8 DYM's in future, right?                 
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks for the advice... I'll learn even quicker now ;) My weakness in NLH is being too agressive at times too. about people calling very wide: yeah I noticed that early doors, there was one guy in particular that seemed to limp call every hand!

I'm not likely to become a "reg" - but I did enjoy it alot, so I'll probably play the odd one or 2. Its a nice break from the brutal NLH MTTs.

speaking of NLH MTTs...if your "roll" continues to grow, are we likely to see you dabbling in the odd main event or 2?

**EDIT** ...or possibly more likely, the PLO8 £5.50 tourney that runs nightly?

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks for the advice... I'll learn even quicker now ;) My weakness in NLH is being too agressive at times too. about people calling very wide: yeah I noticed that early doors, there was one guy in particular that seemed to limp call every hand! I'm not likely to become a "reg" - but I did enjoy it alot, so I'll probably play the odd one or 2. Its a nice break from the brutal NLH MTTs. speaking of NLH MTTs...if your "roll" continues to grow, are we likely to see you dabbling in the odd main event or 2? **EDIT** ...or possibly more likely, the PLO8 £5.50 tourney that runs nightly?
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Main Events - no, unlikely, as the lads play too good at NLH for me these days, they just do. I would like to play Sunday's Super Roller though, just for the sense of occasion, it is a truly beautiful Tourney, imo, & you never know, even a blind squirrel & all that. Whether I will, I don't know, probably not, it'd be daft out of my current "Challenge 'Roll" & set a bad example. I am working the Show for the 2nd of the two, too, so this Sunday is my only chance. We'll see.

"10Bite14" always comes onto the DYM Tables & spams that nightly PLO Tourney, & I'm always tempted, but a totally different mindset is needed for MTT's compared to DYM's, hard to adapt when doing both at the same time, so I generally resist, but yes, I might sling a fiver at those on the occasional night.  

The chap you mention who limps every hand is a bit of a PLO8 "character". He limps EVERY hand, & makes up the SB even when the Blinds are huge. There is no PLO8 starting hand that he does not feel able to play......sometimes he'll limp in for 20 chips, then it'll go POT POT POT, & he'll now call. Even with 4 Bigs, 4 handed, with huge blinds, he "makes up" in the small blind. I can't begin to imagine what hand we think is worth limping for 20 chips with, then calling 1,000, but he's doing his thing, enjoying his game, & he gets his share of results, so good luck to him. It can be a little frustrating when his bag of spanners gets there, but you just have to do the right things often enough, & the maths does the rest.