You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Dohhhhhhh (is that the right number of h's?) you've hit the nail on the head.

It's like people say "I'm in the middle of a hot streak right now" - they have no way of knowing if in fact they're at the very end of the hot streak.  Luck (sorry poker peeps, variance) has now way of interacting with what's gone before,
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You ride on a Hot strike ... play Nit on the down...... MTTs are a different kettle of fish completely. My opinions are based on my experience in HU and 6 seat Sit n go`s. NOT MTTs Nonsense....yes must be why I have never gone Bust.  ;p Each to there own. I guess. Best Regards
    Posted by footsie66
    ....really??
  • edited November 2013
    Probably a more valid tactic in MTTs as you can afford to & often should (?) decline some marginal +ev spots sometimes in weak fields/slow structures.

Can't see any reason to do so in sngs though.
  • edited November 2013
    Probably a more valid tactic in MTTs as you can afford to & often should (?) decline some marginal +ev spots sometimes in weak fields/slow structures. Can't see any reason to do so in sngs though.
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    ICM applies in SNGs too, esp on the bubble obviously.

Footsie -my really wasn't referring to you not busting online. You are a good player, and probably practice good bankroll management, so I can quite believe that. I was suprised that you think downswings/upswings are predictable - because your a good player, I thought you'd know better. I wonder if in fact you could be winning more if you didnt change your style when you thought a downswing was about to hit?

SNGs/MTTs/Cash - it doesnt matter what you play - you still cant predict a downswing - unless you are predicting that you are going to play bad, but thats different. It sounds like you might be missing out on some value footsie..

all you can do is make the most +ev decision...
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi chickn, If you read my post again you will notice   I never stated upswing been predictable ........ That's m8s responding to my post and disagreeing adding bits on  about upswings .  :) Everyone really should  in all reality know when they are on a downswing by observing the way the cards shift  ...it`s how you adjust your style or game to deal with this .. is the Key. Best Regards
    Posted by footsie66
    ok, my mistake :)

yeah, its fairly obvious when your in a downswing - If by adjust your style you mean correcting mistakes, then I agree with you - downswings are a perfect time to be reviewing your game, but, if you mean switch to a different style of play all together: when in a downswing I play it like X, when not in a downswing I play it like Y - then I disagree with you, sorry. If anything, I think this approach will cost you money in the long run - you can't be passing up on +EV spots because you know you're going to lose - it doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Sorry Tikay for hijacking your thread!...

• edited November 2013
    Really enjoyed the games this week Tikay And yes an old dog can learn new tricks With help from this diary prior to this week I had been a losing hilo dym player played 5 won 2 loss £13 but thanks to this diary I have improved this week played 13 won 10 profit £53 roi 43% have to mention it now because I know it cannot last
    Posted by GELDY
    and he can forget them really quickly too
    so, to get this thread back on track, but linking in the most recent topic, we have

yes you can predict a downswing
    easy peasy
    take one newbie hilo dym player who didn't sleep well the previous night, and put him on the shark infested dym hilo tables
    then step back and watch the carnage
    it was an out of body experience watching myself play, incredulous at what i was doing, but unable to stop it
    like watching one of the more cringe-worthy episodes of the office
    you only need one mistake to wreck your chances in a dym, whereas i was making at least one, EVERY orbit
    #sighfail

but i'm not going to change how i am trying to play in the slightest
    just need to do a better job at it

over to you TK, was looking like you were playing as solid as ever

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Afternoon Mr Mum. Sorry for delayed reply. Yes, definitely, if I were a Pro, my views would change, that's natural. But if I were a Pro, & I was not enjoying the beats & downswings ("enjoying" is the wrong word, but you get my drift) I'd snap quit. I've worked non-stop, bar a short break, for over 40 years, but I'd not stay in a job I did not enjoy. Of course we all have bad days at the Office, be daft to say otherwise, but you have to love your job, or life would be very tiresome. I am associated with another poker forum, which has all the Big Boys & High Rollers on it. Monday morning, after the Sunday "grind" (how I LOATHE that word in the poker context!), you would not believe all the angst, "ffs", "I HATE POKER", "I was so unlucky", "how could the idiot call?" sorta stuff, it is a sickening thing to see & read. Ugh. Some of these lads need a serious slap, the real world is out there & it is a tough gig for many people. Watch some Documentaries on how the other half live. Jeez, we are so blessed in Europe. You can't get used to the new software? Please try, I know it takes a while, & there are bound tio be a few souls overboard in unsettled seas, but the reality is.....they can't & won't revert to the old, no way. They may try to find some halfway house sort of thing, but it'll mainly be based on the new software. You just can't run an unlimited number of old systems & maintain them all, it just won't work. Imagine 10 years from now, they'd have to maintain & tweak 4 or 5 different platforms! I had a bit of a struggle at first, I'm very methodical with how I "organise" my 4 or 5 tables on my screen (lol, I'm old, leave me alone), but I've sussed it now, & it's much much better overall. Much faster, too, or it seems so to me, which helps a lot. There are still a few tweaks needed, but nothing 10 minutes with a big hammer won't fix.   Hang in there, we need you!       
    Posted by Tikay10

Thank you for the reply Tikay.  Enjoy the show and your night out.  One day I too will leave my poker office :)

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ok, my mistake :) yeah, its fairly obvious when your in a downswing - If by adjust your style you mean correcting mistakes, then I agree with you - downswings are a perfect time to be reviewing your game, but, if you mean switch to a different style of play all together: when in a downswing I play it like X, when not in a downswing I play it like Y - then I disagree with you, sorry. If anything, I think this approach will cost you money in the long run - you can't be passing up on +EV spots because you know you're going to lose - it doesn't work like that unfortunately. Sorry Tikay for hijacking your thread!...
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Not at all Mr Cluck, I'm glad people come here & debate stuff, & even more so, that they do so like grown-ups. So many threads end up with acrimomy, & juvenile name-calling, I can't bear to read or engage with that sort of nonsense.

Just got back from the posh do I attended - ooh, way too posh for me - but I met some proper famous peeps, including Frankie Dettori, Claire Balding, Sir Peter O'Sullivan, Martin Pipe, Lord Grimthorpe, Lady Astor, Lady Oakley, Tom Segal, Graham Bradley, & others too many to mention. I must pass on thanks to Russ Wiseman & Lord Grumpy for the invite. Bumped into Sean Boyce, too, he had an interesting Table & Seat Draw, as he was on the same table as John McCririck. John, it would seem by his mode of dress, is currently appearing in Panto.

Got the Show tonight, so a bit busy, but will do yesterday's Update later, or in the morning, & try to catch up on replies, too.

Run well at the Tables tonight, I'll be back tomorrow.

Might try & play the £2.20 @ 2.20pm NLH Freezeout tomorrow afternoon, to help Rainman out, who asked me earlier this week, & I promised I'd try & play it.  

• edited November 2013

Wednesday 27th November

Played 23

Won 10

Lost 13

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 10, won 1, lost 9

£11.00 - Played 13, won 9, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £8.00

REWARD POINTS = 180

BANKROLL at close of Play = £481.39

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,579

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 513

Won 299

Lost 214

Win-rate, November, 58.28%
  • edited November 2013

What a weird set of results.

Did great in the £11ers, won 9 from 13, happy days, but look at those £5.50's - played TEN, lost NINE!

I never even realised that until I totted up the days results.

I was conscious that I was weighting my attention & focus on the £11 ones, & that I was playing a bit "faster" in the £5.50's, but the extent of the damage, & loss, really surprised me.

Big FAIL for that, for me to make a profit here I need to give max attention to every single game, as my margin of profit is very small.

Will send myself a memo, & give myself a good slap round the chops, that is just so bad.

No play today, obviously, but hope to put in two good sessions on Friday & Saturday, & that will be it for November. Am on 3,570 Reward Points, so I'm going to try & get to 4,000, which would be a £60 bonus to the 'roll. 

No play Sunday, as I'm working again, but Monday sees DOUBLE REWARD POINTS all week, so I plan to try & knock up a big total next week, especially as my Diary is a buit crammed for December, & so I won't be playing as many nights as I did this month. 

Enjoy your evening, I'm off to do my day job.

• edited November 2013
    shame about the sound problems for the first 45 mins of the show tonight

i did play 1 hilo dym tonight, which i lost, but i was much happier with my play
    but there were no others registering, so i went over to the MC tables
    besides not sure if playing hilo dyms, nlhe mtts and cash, and watching the show, and playing the UKPC sats is a good combination
    off for a while now so gl at the hilo dym tables everyone
    and you'll just have to find another fish to fry
  • edited November 2013
    shame about the sound problems for the first 45 mins of the show tonight i did play 1 hilo dym tonight, which i lost, but i was much happier with my play but there were no others registering, so i went over to the MC tables besides not sure if playing hilo dyms, nlhe mtts and cash, and watching the show, and playing the UKPC sats is a good combination off for a while now so gl at the hilo dym tables everyone and you'll just have to find another fish to fry
    Posted by GELDY
    Yes, apologies for the audio issues at the top of last night's Show.

Good to hear you were happier with your PLO8 game last night. I'm pretty sure, from my own experience, that the game requires full focus, as it is quite complex at times, especially of multi-tabling them, & judging by your Post, you were thissing & thatting.

I've not specifically studied your play, but judging by my Notes on you, & what I can recall, you are generally pretty solid & don't lack for the basics, far from it.

• edited November 2013

I was monitoring the PLO8 DYM Lobby during last night's Show, & unless I missed them traffic was very low indeed, barely any ran @ the £5.50 & £11 Level.

On a normal night I get to play around 20 or more of these. Where was everyone?

I'll be back on tonight, or that is the plan, but it'd be a shame if the traffic has dried up.
  • edited November 2013
    I was monitoring the PLO8 DYM Lobby during last night's Show, & unless I missed them traffic was very low indeed, barely any ran @ the £5.50 & £11 Level. On a normal night I get to play around 20 or more of these. Where was everyone? I'll be back on tonight, or that is the plan, but it'd be a shame if the traffic has dried up.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I have a funny feeling the games will be in full swing again tonight...where there is fish, there will be sharks. ;)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I have a funny feeling the games will be in full swing again tonight...where there is fish, there will be sharks. ;)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Ha! I hope so.

Be weird if the tables are busy again tonight, after being near empty last night. We shall see.

I always look around each of my tvbles to spot the value, but I've never seen anyone who is value yet......

• edited November 2013
    lol, your setting me up on purpose now...

It probably only takes one or 2 of the regs to not be playing one night and the games completely dry up... people dont like to be the first to reg. I checked a few times when I had space for a table and there was no one registered so i didnt bother... sounds like Geldy did the same. The one game I did play wasnt full of the usual regs, so i suspect some of them were having a night off too.
  • edited November 2013
    lol, your setting me up on purpose now... It probably only takes one or 2 of the regs to not be playing one night and the games completely dry up... people dont like to be the first to reg. I checked a few times when I had space for a table and there was no one registered so i didnt bother... sounds like Geldy did the same. The one game I did play wasnt full of the usual regs, so i suspect some of them were having a night off too.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Makes sense I guess. My "system" to prime the games, & get as many as possible running, is to enter each one the moment it spawns. The "next one" spawns when the current "first" one has 4 or more runners, I believe.

It's amazing, but once one name goes in the Lobby, they generally fill quite quickly.

Anyway, a session planned for later today, & all this evening, & again tomorrow.

• edited November 2013
    Wiiiiiiiiiiii
    Just played my first ever PLO8 MTT

Came 2nd
    Well chuffed :-))
  • edited November 2013
    Wiiiiiiiiiiii Just played my first ever PLO8 MTT Came 2nd Well chuffed :-))
    Posted by VespaPX
    Legend!

Did you enjoy it, though?
  • edited November 2013

CAR CRASH ALERT, CAR CRASH ALERT.....

• edited November 2013

Friday 29th November

Played 29

Won 13

Lost 16

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 18, won 7, lost 11

£11.00 - Played 11, won 6, Lost 5

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £32.20

REWARD POINTS = 202

BANKROLL at close of Play = £449.19

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,781

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 542

Won 312

Lost 230

Win-rate, November, 57.56%
  • edited November 2013

Had a shocker, a right shocker!

My Lappie failed mid-session, whilst I was playing 4 DYM's, & I'd pre-regged for 3 others. I eventually got back on, but I'd incurred a bit of serious damage by then.

Could have been a lot worse, too, as I won the last three I playerd for a £25 dent in the losses. Yikes.

Lost £2.20 in the afternoon £2.20 @ 2.20, too, though it was well worth it for the banter.

Anyway, nobody wants to read moans & groans, suffice to say the wheels came off a bit.

Had some fun with a keyboard warrior, though, who mocked EVERY player on the table, if he won a hand "lol @ the bad call you fish", & when he lost "lol, you are so lucky".

He had over 5,000 chips (there are only 12k in play!) with 6 players left, but he somehow managed to bust out first. I was plum last with 900 chips, but I got lucky with nice cards, he never folded any hand, & he doubled me up twice, & then exited to me when I found really good two way Aces & they held.

At which point, he chased me around on my other Tables (he was out by now, of course....) he called me something I've never been called before, definitely original. I've been called a few things, lol, but I loved the originality.

U r  a putz, tekayy, a rite putz

Putz! Love it.

Sort it out, putz.

Big session planned today, want to get as near to 4,000 Reward Points (£60) as possible. Hopefully, not lose as much as I did yesterday, too......

Best regards,

putz

• edited November 2013
    putz
    a stupid, ignorant person; someone who doesn't pay attention to anything going on; one who makes stupid remarks

Just so you know what it is :) (I wasnt the abuser)
  • edited November 2013
    putz a stupid, ignorant person; someone who doesn't pay attention to anything going on; one who makes stupid remarks Just so you know what it is :) (I wasnt the abuser)
    Posted by julie19770
    Julie
    Your first 2 post have been wonderful.
    Jobbies and putz.
    You definitely need to post more. :)
  • edited November 2013
    putz a stupid, ignorant person; someone who doesn't pay attention to anything going on; one who makes stupid remarks Just so you know what it is :) (I wasnt the abuser)
    Posted by julie19770
    Ha, thanks Julie. He summed me up perfectly, eh?

I knew what it meant, but it's not a word I'd seen before on an online poker site, ever. Love a bit of originality. Quite flattered, actually, much more classy than "donk", fish", idiot" & the like.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Julie Your first 2 post have been wonderful. Jobbies and putz. You definitely need to post more. :)
    Posted by Jac35
    No no no!

When Julie posted previously about the J word, that was spelt differently to my version. We must differentiate between "jobby" & "jobbie". Very different things. Oh yes.

• edited November 2013
    i had to look it up too - never heard that word in my life!

lol @ him (or her) following you around to abuse you. funny stuff. are you ever tempted to provoke them one they start abusing TK? I have to say, I do enjoy doing it occasionally when I have been abused in the past after getting lucky and hitting a draw or something...

something along the lines of

abuser: "your such a lucky ****"
    abuser: "**** you, how can you shove there"
    abuser: "such a fish"

me: "completely out skilled you mate" (obv it was all luck, but he doesn't need to know I know that)

abuser: some other rant about how rubbish you are

probably shouldnt do it, but I find it entertaining + quite often they will end up dpewing their stack to me. oh well. hehe.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Legend! Did you enjoy it, though?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Really enjoyed it thanks.
    Plays a lot different to the DYM's
    Lots of limping at high blind levels , so of course i potted it each time! :-)

Just like to say thanks for your advice on this thread, really helped me play better.