You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Best of luck Tikay, rooting for you. If you ever want to play some HU 0/8 SNGs feel free to drop me a pm!
    Posted by patwalshh
    HU O8?

Well thank you, Mr W, that is most, err, thoughful of you.......

Think I'll pass if I may. Game selectiion & all that, yeah? I am, after all, the world's worst HU player, & it's not even close.

But thank you for your good wishes, & the same back at you.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes, a fair analogy that, Mick. I am not saying the early angst & criticisms are wrong, or out of order, but I just believe we should not jump to conclusions too quickly over superficial bits & pieces. Most of them could, if bad, be easily changed, that's the very beauty of HTML5, a "fix" is almost instant in most cases.   I watched Michael Carberry in the first Ashes Test last night. Remarkable man, & story. He almost gave the game up, & became an electrician, but suddenly "found" his game @ County Level, then got selected as (presumably) a fall-back # 5 or 6 in the Test squad, then found himself opening in the first Test! Wow. And then some daft commentator commented after one over that he did not think Michael had the class necessary. Jeez, give the man a chance first!  Have a great weekend, Mick.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Have Carberry top series run scorer as my 1 bet for The Ashes @ 10/1.

Looked really comfortable early on against the new ball, then the 'spinner' came on and he went into cricketing nit mode. Totally lost his way.

Glad he has a head start on Cook, Clarke, Bell, KP  & Aussies 9, 10 Jack, who I feared would be his main rivals in the market, but it's a shame he couldn't kick on and get a lead with all the others failing.

Another 517/1 in the second innings @ the GABBA is required.

With the time left in the game, that might be enough to win this 1, nevermind save it!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : This is just my observation after playing him a good few times. i would say yes maybe tikay is a bit tight when he plays the game. but everyone has they,re own opinions on how the game should be played. Me personally i think tikay could open up a bit more and use his presence and name more too his advantage.but thats just me and im not going too argue with his gameplay/strategy as he is making a nice profit playing his own game his own way. I also think tikay would be called too often by too many players who would see it as a challenge too knock him out as tikay knows. there are quite a few players that are happy too go for a flip. just so they can beat tikay. As i have said before it must be really hard for him too make any gains as there will be so many that will want too beat him just because of his day job and who he is! Also lots of players read this diary so he has pretty much told everyone the hands he plays by giving the advice he has so at certain stages and depending on the  player he is raising and the stage of the game there will be players who will call knowing he has a certain type of hand and willing too take a flip.. just my opinion though i may be wrong..it has been known too happen. I hope this has not come out the wrong way tikay as in no way am i meaning anything bad. Just my humble opinion. and thanks for all the advice and tips.....churchy
    Posted by churchy18
    Morning Soon To Be A Dad Mr Churchy Bloke.

No, it has not come out the wrong way at all, that is a very perceptive Post.

Open out a bit more? Not in the early stages, no, it would not work, more especially because, as you mention, I do get folks who just want to bust me. That works both ways, of course, & as long as I get it in with the right hands often enough, I'll take my chances with callers. The general rule still applies here - better to be the bettor than the caller. I am almost always the bettor, & almost never the caller. I will Pot with much worse hands than I will call with. It's just an instinctive thing with me, I loathe calling. If we call, we see a flop, anything can happen, if we bet, we often get a fold, & we can't lose if they fold. 

I modify my strategy quite often, too. At the start of November, after reviewing my October results, I decided some tweaks were needed. These seemed to have worked, but they increased my variance, which I'm not so keen on.

I look at every one I lose too, to try to see if I could have played better. We can all blame variance, bad luck, shocking calls by others, da de da, but that is deluding ourselves, we must look at OUR play first, before blaming others. More often that not we can find we made mistakes, or unforced errors.

I busted in one on Wednesday when I had 7 Bigs (4 players left) because I pot-stuck myself too early with K-K-4-2. Not a bad hand actually, as if the A falls, we are well on the way to a good low, & the chap who called with his A-2-x-x low has just been counterfeited, but with 7 Bigs & 4 players left, I could afford to wait a couple more orbits, & allow someone else to bust. Always good to let others do the work, eh? 

Have a good weekend bud.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Main Events - no, unlikely, as the lads play too good at NLH for me these days, they just do. I would like to play Sunday's Super Roller though, just for the sense of occasion, it is a truly beautiful Tourney, imo, & you never know, even a blind squirrel & all that. Whether I will, I don't know, probably not, it'd be daft out of my current "Challenge 'Roll" & set a bad example. I am working the Show for the 2nd of the two, too, so this Sunday is my only chance. We'll see.   "10Bite14" always comes onto the DYM Tables & spams that nightly PLO Tourney, & I'm always tempted, but a totally different mindset is needed for MTT's compared to DYM's, hard to adapt when doing both at the same time, so I generally resist, but yes, I might sling a fiver at those on the occasional night.   The chap you mention who limps every hand is a bit of a PLO8 "character". He limps EVERY hand, & makes up the SB even when the Blinds are huge. There is no PLO8 starting hand that he does not feel able to play......sometimes he'll limp in for 20 chips, then it'll go POT POT POT, & he'll now call. Even with 4 Bigs, 4 handed, with huge blinds, he "makes up" in the small blind. I can't begin to imagine what hand we think is worth limping for 20 chips with, then calling 1,000, but he's doing his thing, enjoying his game, & he gets his share of results, so good luck to him. It can be a little frustrating when his bag of spanners gets there, but you just have to do the right things often enough, & the maths does the rest.       
    Posted by Tikay10

he lads play too good at NLH for me these days, they just do. - Ever thought of re-learning? I watched a bit of the show last night, and you knew what players like mattbates were going to do, so I dont think it would be too much work..

tikay in the super roller: DO IT! I'm tempted to start a poll on the forum... :D   what about if you reach a certain profit on your saturday/sunday PLO8 grind?

playng different types of games at the same time: yeah, totally understand. The way I deal with it is to have my screen structured in a way that makes it a bit more obvious: MTTS on the left, with the biggest buy ins at the top (thats where my eyes seem to naturally go), satelites to the right of MTTs, SNGs on the far right. just need to find a place to slot in the PLO8 DYMs! You soon get used to swapping mindsets.

strange play: yeah, I guess he enjoys playing like that - each to their own n all that. personally, I would hope that he continues playing like that! I read somewhere that good players in PLO8 have very little edge between each other. Less than NLH. 

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Have Carberry top series run scorer as my 1 bet for The Ashes @ 10/1. Looked really comfortable early on against the new ball, then the 'spinner' came on and he went into cricketing nit mode. Totally lost his way. Glad he has a head start on Cook, Clarke, Bell, KP  & Aussies 9, 10 Jack, who I feared would be his main rivals in the market, but it's a shame he couldn't kick on and get a lead with all the others failing. Another 517/1 in the second innings @ the GABBA is required. With the time left in the game, that might be enough to win this 1, nevermind save it!
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    10/1 Carberry, Top Series Scorer? Pardon the chirp, but I've got £10EW @ 20/1. ;)

I have a few others, too, including Broad Top England Bowler @ 3/1 (great start), Bell to hit 2 or more centuries @ 9/5 (bad start), Cook Top Series Batter @11/2 (ditto), & KP Top England Bat, First Innings of the First Test (boo!).

Mixed bag then, but I rely on SPT Rich & others to guide me on Cricket, & generally do OK.

Guess you've been up all night watching it, yeah?

I did think Carberry looked very comfortable early doors, but I'd long fallen asleep before his demise. Shame really, quite a potential fairytale there.

Gotta love the Aussie Media, who "blank out" Broad's face in photographs! He was 14/1 for "England Man of the Series" before it began. Won't see 14/1 for that again......  
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 10/1 Carberry, Top Series Scorer? Pardon the chirp, but I've got £10EW @ 20/1. ;) I have a few others, too, including Broad Top England Bowler @ 3/1 (great start), Bell to hit 2 or more centuries @ 9/5 (bad start), Cook Top Series Batter @11/2 (ditto), & KP Top England Bat, First Innings of the First Test (boo!). Mixed bag then, but I rely on SPT Rich & others to guide me on Cricket, & generally do OK.   Guess you've been up all night watching it, yeah? I did think Carberry looked very comfortable early doors, but I'd long fallen asleep before his demise. Shame really, quite a potential fairytale there.   Gotta love the Aussie Media, who "blank out" Broad's face in photographs! He was 14/1 for "England Man of the Series" before it began. Won't see 14/1 for that again......  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wow, this must've gone on a long time ago????

btw, Donny are at home on a Friday night again for the first time since 'the last time' :(

We've only won once since then & are dropping like a lead balloon, can you have a fiver on Yeovil please? :D

That 14/1 on Broad looks v nice! gl with the bets, unless you do that ^^^
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Wow, this must've gone on a long time ago???? btw, Donny are at home on a Friday night again for the first time since 'the last time' :( We've only won once since then & are dropping like a lead balloon, can you have a fiver on Yeovil please? :D That 14/1 on Broad looks v nice! gl with the bets, unless you do that ^^^
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    The Carberry bet? Ist November. A chap called Nick Jenkins, aka "ripple11", a big cricket buff, gave it to me.  

The 14/1 Broad? Sadly, I am not on...... He gets it so far, for sure, nice 32 with the bat to add to his sixfer with the ball.

Donny? Pass......

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : he lads play too good at NLH for me these days, they just do. - Ever thought of re-learning? I watched a bit of the show last night, and you knew what players like mattbates were going to do, so I dont think it would be too much work.. tikay in the super roller: DO IT! I'm tempted to start a poll on the forum... :D   what about if you reach a certain profit on your saturday/sunday PLO8 grind? playng different types of games at the same time: yeah, totally understand. The way I deal with it is to have my screen structured in a way that makes it a bit more obvious: MTTS on the left, with the biggest buy ins at the top (thats where my eyes seem to naturally go), satelites to the right of MTTs, SNGs on the far right. just need to find a place to slot in the PLO8 DYMs! You soon get used to swapping mindsets. strange play: yeah, I guess he enjoys playing like that - each to their own n all that. personally, I would hope that he continues playing like that! I read somewhere that good players in PLO8 have very little edge between each other. Less than NLH. 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Oi, stop it with the great questions!

Re-learn NLH? Nah, bit late for me. I know EXACTLY what to do, that's the odd thing, but I don't have much "gamble" in me, I just try & hang in, I can't help myself. Analysing the play of chaps like MattBates is so easy, of course, you know EXACTLY what they will do next every time. I knew he'd push with that draw last night, & I was able to correctly predict every one of his plays.  But me play like that, no way, I just don't have the gamble in me.  

I might play Sunday's Super Roller, I dunno. I'd make a seperate Deposit if I did, it'd be wrong otherwise. Maybe I'll "flick it in" (God, I LOATHE that expression!) for a few Satellites though. 

If I made that much in PLO8 DYM's over the weekend, yeah, maybe, but that's a long slow "bit at a time" process, so that's not gonna happen. If I can make £50 over the weekend, I'd be chuffed to bits, & would take it right now.

I "organise" my Tables similar to you, in my case, "most important/stack critical" at the front right, & so on. But you play tons of Tables, I only play 4 at a maximum at present. I'm, hoping that the new Software, & increased liquidity, will help me gradually increase that number. Must remember, though, that I'm not a young man, & my mental dexterity is not what it was.  

"Good PLO8 players don't have much edge over each other"? Well that's true, very true, much less than in NLH I'd say, but it is also VERY misleading.  The "edge", or perceived edge, comes from the gulf in ability between the best & worst. In this year's $3,000 WSOP PLO8 Event, just before the money bubble, one kid got the lot in, & tabled his hand with his chest puffed out, sorta "ship it me baby, ship it". He had ONE heart in his hand on a 4 heart board, & genuinely thought his hand was a winner. How can someone SO bad get that far in a $3,000 Event?  In last year's $1,500 WSOP PLO8, with 3 tables left, a lad tabled three deuces, with 1 deuces on the Board, & claimed quads......how could he even BE IN THE HAND with 2-2-2 in his hand?! And that was with 25 players left out of a starting field just shy of 1,000.

Life's great mysteries, eh, but THAT is where the edge comes from.   

I know it's a bit early, but your initial thoughts on the new software?

• edited November 2013

If I might just say.....

I love it that so many of you "Big Boys" read & comment on this thread. I'm genuinely flattered, it means a lot, thank you. I'm not short of detractors, lol, so it's nice to see some of you take the time to Post & comment in such warm terms.

I care very much about keeping this Forum (jeez, I'm supposed to call it Community, but that word just does not work for me...) a decent place, which we can all enjoy & benefit from. The negativity scares me at times, & it must make the Suits scratch their heads & wonder why they bother with it. Very few "big" players were Posting, but of late, after a concerted effort to brighten the mood & tone, many of them are returning.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oi, stop it with the great questions! Re-learn NLH? Nah, bit late for me. I know EXACTLY what to do, that's the odd thing, but I don't have much "gamble" in me, I just try & hang in, I can't help myself. Analysing the play of chaps like MattBates is so easy, of course, you know EXACTLY what they will do next every time. I knew he'd push with that draw last night, & I was able to correctly predict every one of his plays.  But me play like that, no way, I just don't have the gamble in me.   I might play Sunday's Super Roller, I dunno. I'd make a seperate Deposit if I did, it'd be wrong otherwise. Maybe I'll " flick it in " (God, I LOATHE that expression!) for a few Satellites though.  If I made that much in PLO8 DYM's over the weekend, yeah, maybe, but that's a long slow "bit at a time" process, so that's not gonna happen. If I can make £50 over the weekend, I'd be chuffed to bits, & would take it right now.   I "organise" my Tables similar to you, in my case, "most important/stack critical" at the front right, & so on. But you play tons of Tables, I only play 4 at a maximum at present. I'm, hoping that the new Software, & increased liquidity, will help me gradually increase that number. Must remember, though, that I'm not a young man, & my mental dexterity is not what it was.   "Good PLO8 players don't have much edge over each other"? Well that's true, very true, much less than in NLH I'd say, but it is also VERY misleading.  The "edge", or perceived edge, comes from the gulf in ability between the best & worst. In this year's $3,000 WSOP PLO8 Event, just before the money bubble, one kid got the lot in, & tabled his hand with his chest puffed out, sorta "ship it me baby, ship it". He had ONE heart in his hand on a 4 heart board, & genuinely thought his hand was a winner. How can someone SO bad get that far in a $3,000 Event?  In last year's $1,500 WSOP PLO8, with 3 tables left, a lad tabled three deuces, with 1 deuces on the Board, & claimed quads......how could he even BE IN THE HAND with 2-2-2 in his hand?! And that was with 25 players left out of a starting field just shy of 1,000. Life's great mysteries, eh, but THAT is where the edge comes from.    I know it's a bit early, but your initial thoughts on the new software?  
    Posted by Tikay10

Oi, stop it with the great questions! - stop moaning, you love the attention ;)

re not much gamble: yeah thats the part I just dont get, how can you know what to do, but just not do it. I was playing live cash recently with a good solid older player on my left - much like you I expect - I was opening about 50% of hands - he knew exactly what I was doing (isolating the weaker players that limped every hand) but still did nothing about it. he even commented on how he was getting anonyed with me raising all the time... yet the only time he 3bet me he had KK.

re edge/good players: yeah thats what I meant to say, the edge comes from the bad players. although, I have to say, I'm shocked by the standard of some of those plays you mentioned in a $3k tourney! how can you enter a $3k tourney and not even know the rules! on the other side of that argument though, Matt perrins won a bracelet in a game he had never played before entering the tourney. I guess this is why everyone loves the WSOP so much. I have to go at some point! just dont have the BR atm though.

software: i didnt have a problem with it at all last night. it was actually my first good night in ages! I didnt really like it before when it popped up for the mini while all my other tables were the old layout... but having them all the same was fine. I like the bigger fold/check/ raise buttons which appear as soon as you are able to make a decision (like before the action is on you) - good for multi tabling. I dont think it will be long before the niggles are gone and everyone has forgotten about the old sw.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oi, stop it with the great questions! - stop moaning, you love the attention ;) re not much gamble: yeah thats the part I just dont get, how can you know what to do, but just not do it. I was playing live cash recently with a good solid older player on my left - much like you I expect - I was opening about 50% of hands - he knew exactly what I was doing (isolating the weaker players that limped every hand) but still did nothing about it. he even commented on how he was getting anonyed with me raising all the time... yet the only time he 3bet me he had KK. re edge/good players: yeah thats what I meant to say, the edge comes from the bad players. although, I have to say, I'm shocked by the standard of some of those plays you mentioned in a $3k tourney! how can you enter a $3k tourney and not even know the rules! on the other side of that argument though, Matt perrins won a bracelet in a game he had never played before entering the tourney. I guess this is why everyone loves the WSOP so much. I have to go at some point! just dont have the BR atm though. software: i didnt have a problem with it at all last night. it was actually my first good night in ages! I didnt really like it before when it popped up for the mini while all my other tables were the old layout... but having them all the same was fine. I like the bigger fold/check/ raise buttons which appear as soon as you are able to make a decision (like before the action is on you) - good for multi tabling. I dont think it will be long before the niggles are gone and everyone has forgotten about the old sw.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Well, I promised not to comment yet awhile, but I must say, my first reaction was identical, with those lovely big action buttons, & being able to pre-act, it helped me immensely.

Today will be my first multi-tabling effort on the new software, so I can't wait to see how it goes, & if I can up my volume. There are rarely enough £5.50 & £11 games going at once to play more than 4 at once (so far....), so I'll add some £2.25's if necessary, just to test myself.

I used to be scared of playing more than one table, but if someone of my considerable vintage can easily - & profitably - manage four, then anyone ought to be able to.    
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Well, I promised not to comment yet awhile, but I must say, my first reaction was identical, with those lovely big action buttons, & being able to pre-act, it helped me immensely. Today will be my first multi-tabling effort on the new software, so I can't wait to see how it goes, & if I can up my volume. There are rarely enough £5.50 & £11 games going at once to play more than 4 at once (so far....), so I'll add some £2.25's if necessary, just to test myself.   I used to be scared of playing more than one table, but if someone of my considerable vintage can easily - & profitably - manage four, then anyone ought to be able to.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'm going to show this to stayorgo...he struggles with 3 :D   ..he does have a rediculous ROI though.

re the forum getting better: I think you have a big part to play in that too. 

I may try to help with the liquidity of the £11 games tonight by playing 1 or 2 if I can fit them in.

• edited November 2013
    hope you don't mind me interjecting into your personal conversation guys

great hilo advice as always Tikay, particularly for DYMs which i don't/won't play regularly but good info for when i do

I managed to FT / cash my first ever PLO8 tournament (finished 4th iirc), which was live. Less an indication of natural brilliance it was more a confirmation of the wide skill gap of the field. at least i had read up on basic strategy beforehand. the pot / repot aggression of some of the players was totally inconsistent with their hands and/or good bluffing positions. so i kept my head down, played safe sensible poker and did ok. and that was with knowing a tenth about hilo as i do now.

as for the supersat mattbates hand TK, you may remember i folded my top two to his river shove. yes i know it is mattbates, but the river also paired the board, so matt could have made his flush, or even have just an 8 in his hand for trips. or a turned straight. and the thing about matt is sometimes he does have it - one of the reasons he does so well is peeps will pay him off light when he has the goods. so to me my choice was to shove to rep the nuts or let him have it and save my chips for a better spot when not so many better hands have got there. but it is very situation dependent. and being a rebuy didn't help as this widens everyones range but he knows i know he knows .......
  • edited November 2013
    hope you don't mind me interjecting into your personal conversation guys great hilo advice as always Tikay, particularly for DYMs which i don't/won't play regularly but good info for when i do I managed to FT / cash my first ever PLO8 tournament (finished 4th iirc), which was live. Less an indication of natural brilliance it was more a confirmation of the wide skill gap of the field. at least i had read up on basic strategy beforehand. the pot / repot aggression of some of the players was totally inconsistent with their hands and/or good bluffing positions. so i kept my head down, played safe sensible poker and did ok. and that was with knowing a tenth about hilo as i do now. as for the supersat mattbates hand TK, you may remember i folded my top two to his river shove. yes i know it is mattbates, but the river also paired the board, so matt could have made his flush, or even have just an 8 in his hand for trips. or a turned straight. and the thing about matt is sometimes he does have it - one of the reasons he does so well is peeps will pay him off light when he has the goods. so to me my choice was to shove to rep the nuts or let him have it and save my chips for a better spot when not so many better hands have got there. but it is very situation dependent. and being a rebuy didn't help as this widens everyones range but he knows i know he knows .......
    Posted by GELDY
    Lol @ "private convo" Gelders, you know me, I'll talk to anyone. Almost. I ignore The Hippo, of course.

Yeah, I remember that hand last night, & fwiw, I do the same as you. That's the thing with Batesy, we know he is usually light, but he CAN have it, & he puts pressure on you EVERY hand, & EVERY street. Never limped in in his life, & no free streets in a pot with him. I genuinely love watching him play. If he ever checked to me, I think I'd muck blind!

He came to Vegas with us last year (2012), & it was a joy to see him do so well. There is a "Rio Turbo Daily", which is like a Sky Poker Turbu-Wurbo, & he consistently ran deep in that, think he cashed in three in the space of a week, & those things were getting huge fields.    
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I'm going to show this to stayorgo...he struggles with 3 :D   ..he does have a rediculous ROI though. re the forum getting better: I think you have a big part to play in that too.  I may try to help with the liquidity of the £11 games tonight by playing 1 or 2 if I can fit them in.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Umm, not to be rude, but please don't.....;)

If you do, & I pot it, I've always got it, right?
  • edited November 2013

Afternoon Tikay!

You should do a diary! :)   (call it something like 'ask tikay')

I went out last night (Thirsty Thursday) but hope to catch  last night's show on repeat. I am interested to see Rob on it (and Anna ofc). I then watched the cricket....would love to be over there, if truth be told, away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life here. Looks like I have wrote my car off in a crash on Tuesday but I walked away scratch free. The copper at the scene said I was very very lucky to do so! So a bit of run good mixed in with a bit of run bad.....life variance maybe.

I will be up all night again watching the Ashes again today, so will have to see if there are any decent games running later. I don't play cash, so if no MTT's take my fancy, I may have a dabble in some DYMs. May have a go at some PLO though, as I still haven't got my head round PLO8.

Whatever you are doing, hope you have a good w/end.
  • edited November 2013
    Afternoon Tikay! You should do a diary! :)   (call it something like 'ask tikay') I went out last night (Thirsty Thursday) but hope to catch  last night's show on repeat. I am interested to see Rob on it (and Anna ofc). I then watched the cricket....would love to be over there, if truth be told, away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday life here. Looks like I have wrote my car off in a crash on Tuesday but I walked away scratch free. The copper at the scene said I was very very lucky to do so! So a bit of run good mixed in with a bit of run bad.....life variance maybe. I will be up all night again watching the Ashes again today, so will have to see if there are any decent games running later. I don't play cash, so if no MTT's take my fancy, I may have a dabble in some DYMs. May have a go at some PLO though, as I still haven't got my head round PLO8. Whatever you are doing, hope you have a good w/end.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ouch at the car crash, glad you are OK, that's the main thing. Hope your lad was not with you in the car when it happened.

You have a great weekend, too.
  • edited November 2013

Friday 22nd November

Played 30

Won17

Lost 13

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 10, won 8, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 20, won 9, Lost 11

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £15.00

REWARD POINTS = 5

BANKROLL at close of Play = £413.14

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,716

• edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 404

Won 237

Lost 167

Win-rate, November, 58.66%
  • edited November 2013

HUGE session yesterday, 30 games, with an incredible TWENTY games @ £11, which for a site like Sky Poker is an extraordinary volume of PLO8 DYM's.

The less good news is that I pretty much trod water all session. 

Won 6 of the first 7, & the outlook was good, but then the wheels went awry, & I fell into a bit of a hole, got myself out of it, then lost 3 of the last 4, all @ £11, to turn a decent winning day into small losing day. Bleurgh.

I threw away 2 @ £11 earlier due to errors on my part, whilst I was experimenting with how best to tile my tables with the new software. When Mr footsie potted it, & I re-potted, leaving myself half a Big, then he re-potted, as expected, accidentally folding was probably a bad - & pretty infuriating - misclick......ha! In fact, I did that TWICE. 

Anyway, eventually I got my new "layout", to suit the new software (which I loved) & so that's all good now.

There was a "new" player on the scene, clearly VERY good, & he battered the regulars. Good - very good - PLO8 HU player, & it took me a goodly while to suss out how best to combat him. With position, it was OK, out of position, quite difficult. He's far better than I will ever be, but never be afraid of one player, three get paid, & these guys can bust everyone else along the way, so, where possible, I kept out of his way. When needs must, of course, I tangled. He's got a cracking game though.

The £11-ers were running back to back all evening, & I always had three on the go at once, an unbelievable situation, unheard of a month or two back. Chuffed to bits. Peeps complain at Sky for all sorts, why don't they do this that or the other to improve liquidity in these minority interest games, but the players can do this too, & between us, we have. Power to the people.

There was one really weird game where one poor chap was AWAY all Tourney. Unforch, the other players never thought this through, & kept limping into his Big Blind. All they had to do was min-raise, & he auto-passes. And of course, whilst not even present, he kept doubling up in these limped pots! You can't say anything in the chat-box, that'd be improper, but I was sort of talking to the screen, RAISE lads, BET! Naturally, he kept doubling up, & I managed to lose that one, despite being 4 handed with one of the 4 away......all's fair in the end, but what a weird thing. 

Chicknmelt graced us with his presence, & I think he adapted pretty well. Footsie was in eveey £11 game, & Gelders joined us briefly late evening, & won his £11er I think. I know I didn't.....

Mr Chunter paid us a visit, chuntered for England, non-stop, ****** Sky did me over again, this site is ****, what a pile of ****, they **** me over on the river deliberately.

I had a long think about him, & - whilst I'm not 100% sure of this - I sort of get the vague impression that he does not always enjoy his poker. All joking aside, what a shame that is. Not sure I could play the game if I did not really enjoy the whole experience, the anticipation of every game, hand, flop, turn, river, winning, losing, highs & lows (in every sense), the whole thing gives me a buzz.

Blaming others for our demise is not a human trait much to be admired, whereas losing with a modicum of dignity is something I always grew up to believe, is how a grown-up should conduct him or her self. 

Guess it takes all sorts, eh?

• edited November 2013
    Chicknmelt graced us with his presence, & I think he adapted pretty well. Footsie was in every £11 game, & Gelders joined us briefly late evening, & won his £11er I think. I know I didn't.....

Posted by Tikay10

yep, your training notes were very helpful. although winning was a sweet & sour experience, as I had to knock you out to save my own skin. not allowed to say sorry I know but sorry.
  • edited November 2013
    Love your work Tikay!  There is a Mr chunter at the nl tables in the form of ALLEYKITTY at the mo.  So far he has wished I died from cancer 3 times.  Lovely individual.  

Have a great weekend and win, lose or draw isn't life just wonderful!

Ohh and before I forget......Merry Xmas!
  • edited November 2013
    Love your work Tikay!  There is a Mr chunter at the nl tables in the form of ALLEYKITTY at the mo.  So far he has wished I died from cancer 3 times.  Lovely individual.   Have a great weekend and win, lose or draw isn't life just wonderful! Ohh and before I forget......Merry Xmas!
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Life truly is wonderful, incredibky so, though you'd not think so at times! The Community seems to be very chuntery today.

Xmas not quite so wonderful......

• edited November 2013
    Hello T & all you Guy`s Just found this thread while browsing the forums and it`s an Excellent read  . Plenty of info for me to digest ...:o) I would luv to share my experiences  profits n losses  over a period of a month , But I seldom find the time as I am usually at the tables way too much. I do put in many ...many hrs per month and have done so for quite a few years, Hopefully I will find  time ,to post and help , whenever possible in the future. Best Regards
    Posted by footsie66
    Hi Kevin,

You'd be a great addition to the thread.

Many of the readers have tried The Beautiful Game as a result of this thread, so a few words of wisdom from you can only be good.

Been very quiet on the Tables so far today, I've only logged 10 or 11 games so far, maybe it will liven up a bit later.

• edited November 2013
    With a Happy Hour running on all cash tables this weekend, it seems like almost everyone will be in the cash world. :)
  • edited November 2013
    With a Happy Hour running on all cash tables this weekend, it seems like almost everyone will be in the cash world. :)
    Posted by DimTzar
    I've been there, too.

Racked up a bunch of Reward Points, equivalent to 10 x £5.50 DYM's, in about 20 minutes!

May have another session this evening, on the PLO8 Cash Tables.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I've been there, too. Racked up a bunch of Reward Points, equivalent to 10 x £5.50 DYM's, in about 20 minutes! May have another session this evening, on the PLO8 Cash Tables.
    Posted by Tikay10
    What did you play Tikay? NLH or PLO8?

• edited November 2013
    Just popped in for a quick read & catch-up!  Too busy doing family stuff over w/e to play :-( but will be donating next week! As Tikay knows I REALLY enjoy plo8.  I'm fairly new to the game and have one MAJOR flaw which I am addressing with some success.  30 secs decision time would also help me enormously!!

@Tikay - "chunter" is a marvellous word. I also am a bit of a logophile!

p
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : What did you play Tikay? NLH or PLO8?
    Posted by DimTzar
    PLO8.

I never ever play NLO8, for me - just a personal thing - both 8 or Better & Omaha are nothing like as enjoyable when NL, & I dislike it so much that I never play it. Hardly anyone does, actually, & with good reason.

If the only available format of both games was NL, I would quit both in a heartbeat.

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : PLO8. I never ever play NLO8, for me - just a personal thing - both 8 or Better & Omaha are nothing like as enjoyable when NL, & I dislike it so much that I never play it. Hardly anyone does, actually, & with good reason. If the only available format of both games was NL, I would quit both in a heartbeat.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    My question was if you played Holdem or PLO8 cash not if you you played No limit Omaha 8 or better or PLO8.

Where is your mind? Haven't you had your latte yet?