You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited November 2013
    Thanks for the tip Tikay had a few bob on it ew so made a few shillings. ;o)
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    U r  a putz, tekayy, a rite putz Putz!
    Posted by Tikay10
    What type of code is this?

• edited December 2013
    i had to look it up too - never heard that word in my life! lol @ him (or her) following you around to abuse you. funny stuff. are you ever tempted to provoke them one they start abusing TK? I have to say, I do enjoy doing it occasionally when I have been abused in the past after getting lucky and hitting a draw or something... something along the lines of abuser: "your such a lucky ****" abuser: "**** you, how can you shove there" abuser: "such a fish" me: "completely out skilled you mate" (obv it was all luck, but he doesn't need to know I know that) abuser: some other rant about how rubbish you are probably shouldnt do it, but I find it entertaining + quite often they will end up dpewing their stack to me. oh well. hehe.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I'm tempted, yes, it's only natural, but in my position, it would be fatal (job-wise), I'd be reported in a shot, & I've learned to just bite my tongue, turn the other cheek, & say nothing. I get a ton of it on Social-Media, & I make a rule NEVER to respond. I get a lot of lovely warm comments, too, a great deal more than I deserve, so like everything, it cuts both ways.

I must say, the warmth & friendliness on the PLO8 Tables is extraordinary. The fact I've mentioned only two or three examples of keyboard warriors in over 500 games this month proves the case.

How did you get on last night? The games ware quite tough, I thought, though, of course, I ran pretty good most of the evening.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Really enjoyed it thanks. Plays a lot different to the DYM's Lots of limping at high blind levels , so of course i potted it each time! :-) Just like to say thanks for your advice on this thread, really helped me play better.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha, good man!

In PLO8, we can Blind down very kow, 3 Blinds is OK in these, it really is, though I can see the NLH Big Boys rolling their eyes, but it's fine.

What is not fine, but we see every game, is limping in with 3 or 4 Bigs, which is absolutely NOT fine. Thry often fold to a bet, too. In some cases, of course, they do call the bet, but it begs the question, if you plan to call a bet, why not just pot it in the first place? Potting it gives us TWO ways to win, because more often than not, everyone folds. That means their stack increases by 50% without even seeing a flop. How good is that?

Anyway, glad you've joined the growing band of PLO8-ers. 

I'm pretty sure that regular PLO8 players are all a bit odd, like wicketkeepers in cricket, or goalkeepers in Football.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Really enjoyed it thanks. Plays a lot different to the DYM's Lots of limping at high blind levels , so of course i potted it each time! :-) Just like to say thanks for your advice on this thread, really helped me play better.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha, good man!

In PLO8, we can Blind down very kow, 3 Blinds is OK in these, it really is, though I can see the NLH Big Boys rolling their eyes, but it's fine.

What is not fine, but we see every game, is limping in with 3 or 4 Bigs, which is absolutely NOT fine. They often fold to a bet, too. In some cases, of course, they do call the bet, but it begs the question, if you plan to call a bet, why not just pot it in the first place? Potting it gives us TWO ways to win, because more often than not, everyone folds. That means their stack increases by 50% without even seeing a flop. How good is that?

Anyway, glad you've joined the growing band of PLO8-ers. 

I'm pretty sure that regular PLO8 players are all a bit odd, like wicketkeepers in cricket, or goalkeepers in Football.

• edited December 2013
    Thanks for the tip Tikay had a few bob on it ew so made a few shillings. ;o)
    Posted by a00rock
    Ahh, that'll be Rocky Creek, who I tipped in my Weekly UKPC Update!

Bit disapointed we only got 2nd, he looked like he'd come to win his race 2 out, but he was run out of it by a better horse in the end. Still, 8/1, quarter odds, is not so bad.

Will try & go one better this week. ;)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ahh, that'll be Rocky Creek, who I tipped in my Weekly UKPC Update! Bit disapointed we only got 2nd, he looked like he'd come to win his race 2 out, but he was run out of it by a better horse in the end. Still, 8/1, quarter odds, is not so bad. Will try & go one better this week. ;)
    Posted by Tikay10

You made someones day though.....taken from the Fancy a bet? section,

So Tikay said Rocky Creek at Newbury today and my mate said Triolo D'Alene... I'm not a big horse better so decided on a MASSIVE 50p reverse forecast and it only come in! £93 return... Nice one
    First: 21/6/2011
    Last: 30/11/2013

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You made someones day though.....taken from the Fancy a bet? section,                        So Tikay said Rocky Creek at Newbury today and my mate said Triolo D'Alene... I'm not a big horse better so decided on a MASSIVE 50p reverse forecast and it only come in! £93 return... Nice one ClintonH83 Posts: 360 First: 21/6/2011 Last: 30/11/2013
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Oh wow, wonderful news!
  • edited December 2013

Saturday 30th November

Played 26

Won 17

Lost 9

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 18, won 13, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 8, won 4, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £23.00

REWARD POINTS = 170

BANKROLL at close of Play = £472.19

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,951

• edited December 2013

November final position....

Played 568

Won 329

Lost 239

Win-rate, November, 57.92%
  • edited December 2013
    ps Tikay
    accrual accounting is better than cashflow accounting for understanding your results
    ie points earned in November should be included in November's result even though it's not paid until the following month
    would give you a better idea of your earnings development
  • edited December 2013
    Congrats on your month Tikay.  My results have been mixed but its been a MEGA grind!

• edited December 2013
    Congrats on your month Tikay.  My results have been mixed but its been a MEGA grind! http://gyazo.com/5fec702fbf7773741f60a1f9332b3802
    Posted by Donttelmum

How many?

HOW MANY?

64,000?

Jeez!

Thought I'd done well to get 4,000 - you've got 16 times that!

Holy Moly.

• edited December 2013
    ps Tikay accrual accounting is better than cashflow accounting for understanding your results ie points earned in November should be included in November's result even though it's not paid until the following month would give you a better idea of your earnings development
    Posted by GELDY
    I suspect, young Gelders, that is a subject only you & I would be interested in, enough to debate, anyway. But to me, this is a really interesting matter.

You are, of course, correct.

It makes a difference of around £60 overall, which is a big % of the original £200 'roll. On the month, it makes (approx) £20 difference, but £60 in total. My current reported balance of £472.19 is the ACTUAL balance, in the account as of now, so I've under-reported almost £60 really.

But.......

I spend the last 22 years of my working life running businesses for a chap named John Kirkland OBE, & he always preached "keep some wool on your back". He was BIG into financial prudency. On his office wall he had a plaque, Profits are vanity, cash is king.  

So, at month & year end, we would hold back profits where possible, usually by an accounting  "dodge" called WIP, ("Work in Progress").  

And my mind still works that way.

So I have £60 in reserve to get December started & if I encounter some heavy weather or rough seas, I'll have a bit of cushion.

I actually misappropiated another tenner, too. My last November DYM never ended until 10 minutes after midnight, so the result SHOULD go in December, & I'd start with a tenner loss. Not good for the mind, the psychological part, a good start always helps. But we made a good few bob in November, so it suits me better to slide that tenner loss into November, & start December with a nice clean slate. And I have £60 squirrelled away in my back pocket. That feels good. ;)

In truth, the important thing is to report consistently, & not move the goalposts to suit the results.

• edited December 2013

I never reported on my last day of November.

Started like a train, won the first 5, to go with winning the last 3 the day before, but then it steadied down, & the wheels nearly came off at the end, when I lost 4 of the last 5.

Ended the day a slighty disapointing £23 ahead, but I'd have taken that before play started.

No play on Sunday, as I was working.

Had a few visitors on the Rail, including Borinloner, & Lambert 180, always nice to see regulars pop in.

Anyway, ended the month on £472.19, so a profit on the month of £267, & we've saved the Reward Points money (just shy of £60) for December.

Chuffed to bits, & it's re-ignited my love of the game.

December here we come.

Toyed with the idea of switching to PLO for December, but it would take time to build liquidity, & being selfish, I want to sweat the Double Rewards week as best I can. Another month maybe.  
  • edited December 2013

Look away now, geeks only.

November summed up.....(approximate only)

£2.25, played 12, won 50%

£5.50, played 363, won 58.59%

£11, played 193, won 56.99%

Month Lowest balance £215.20

Month Highest balance £482.39

Month End balance £472.19

Biggest losing day £65.50

Biggest winning day £59.00

Most played in one day, 33

Total Profit, £257.99. (Includes OCTOBER Reward Payment (£40) but NOT November Reward payment of £60).

Total Games played = 568

Profit per game played £0.45
  • edited December 2013
    Look away now, geeks only. November summed up.....(approximate only) £2.25, played 12, won 50% £5.50, played 363, won 58.59% £11, played 193, won 56.99% Month Lowest balance £215.20 Month Highest balance £482.39 Month End balance £472.19 Biggest losing day £65.50 Biggest winning day £59.00 Most played in one day, 33
    Posted by Tikay10

33??? How did you do that?

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : 33??? How did you do that?
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    For someone of Tikay's skills....

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : For someone of Tikay's skills....
    Posted by Sky_Poker

I just assumed it was a typo where he slipped and pressed the 3 an extra time.

• edited December 2013

Monday 2nd December

Played 24

Won 17

Lost 7

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 17, won 13, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 6, won 3, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £33.23

REWARD POINTS = 306

BANKROLL at close of Play = £504.44

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 306

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 24

Won 17

Lost 7

Win-rate, November, 70.83%
  • edited December 2013
    Crushing!

Do you still get up at 5am when your up so late?
  • edited December 2013
    Crushing! Do you still get up at 5am when your up so late?
    Posted by Donttelmum
    5am? I wish!

I quit early last night, about 11pm, because I had to be up at 4am this morning, otherwise I'd have played on.

I was up at 4 this morning, on the road by 4.30, here in Leeds Head Office by 0830, & I'll be heading south again shortly. 418 miles in total, with 3 Latte stops each way.

Another DYM session planned for tonight. Gotta get them Double Rewards in whilst I can. ;)

It's quite a long day, really, & I had the Show on Sunday, that's tiring too, but I manage, though I'll have to slow down when I start to get old, obv......

How did Day One of your Double Rewards week go? 97 quillion gazillion points I guess?  
  • edited December 2013
    Is it just me, or were the £11 games tough last night?? 

I did rubbish in the first 2 I played, making mistakes... But the lasts one, I was determined to do well in. Think the blinds got to 500/1000 before 4th bust!
  • edited December 2013
    Is it just me, or were the £11 games tough last night??  I did rubbish in the first 2 I played, making mistakes... But the lasts one, I was determined to do well in. Think the blinds got to 500/1000 before 4th bust!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Seemed normal to me, though I was 3-1 behind on the £11 game count at one stage before eventually levelling the score @ 3-3. Think I just ran a bit below par, maybe played bad too, not sure.

Some tough players were in them though, so maybe you are right. You were there, even PatWallsh was in them, so the standard was pretty tough.

I was in that one where the Blinds got to 500-1,000. Which I lost......

Pat asked me if there was less of a skill-edge in PLO8. I'm not sure of that. Technically, yes, a huge difference, as in all poker, but the split pots, & need to understand DYM concept means, literally, anyone can win them, especially as these DYM's play so shallow. I think they are perfectly structured, actually, such that anyone can win a reasonable % of them. A complete newbie could do worse than try them, as the variance is so low.

See you later, & don't mess with me, right?

There was a cracking hand last night when there were 4 of us left, blinds were 400-800, & we were all about level in chips. The average stack was just under FOUR bigs, quite normal at that stage. I was in the BB, & ALL THREE players in front of me limped in! BOOM! I doubled up without seeing a flop, how neat was that?

It was, of course, most fortunate that I had a really good hand & so was able to pot it. Think it was A-A-K-K-2-2-3-3-4-5, or similar.    

• edited December 2013
    Easy game this aint it, especially when your sat with 1285, villain raises to 1200, you go all in and villain folds lol.

Did make me laugh, like to watch you play, but dont like to bother you in the chat so silent watcher.

Good Luck for the rest of the night.
  • edited December 2013

Tuesday 3rd December

Played 22

Won 13

Lost 9

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 14, won 8, lost 6

£11.00 - Played 8, won 5, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £5.00

REWARD POINTS = 300

BANKROLL at close of Play = £509.44

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 606

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 46

Won 30

Lost 16

Win-rate, November, 65.21%

Profit/Loss per game = £0.81
  • edited December 2013
    Easy game this aint it, especially when your sat with 1285, villain raises to 1200, you go all in and villain folds lol. Did make me laugh, like to watch you play, but dont like to bother you in the chat so silent watcher. Good Luck for the rest of the night.
    Posted by shuv
    Ha! Thanks Mr Shuv.

I love it when railers or friends pop on to my table to say hi, or exchange a few words, but I do find it hard to type a reply that does justice, at the same time as 4 or 5 Tabling.

MOTHER (Amarie) is prone to talking a lot, you know how it is, but I pillage her Blinds relentlessly, so I can't complain. She caught me out last night, when she re-potted me with a proper hand, but my spanners got the job done nicely, think I had Q-9-6-3 or somesuch. (I misclicked, actually). Well she was not supposed to call, see? Serves her right for not giving me the respect my Raises should get. She seemed very pleased for me, anyway. 

The hand you mention, yes, how bizarre was that?! We won't mention the chap's name here, but I've met him several times at Live Events, going back 6 or 7 years now. We get on fine, but he is extremely stubborn, (he is quite old, all old people are stubborn), & VERY competitive, & rarely folds to any bet from me. 

I had not even realised he had raised, I had poo, Q-J-10-9 I think, or similar, but I was on the nick, as I was short-stacked. I nearly fainted when I realised he had already raised, but then he folded, think it was one tenth of a BB extra to him!

Immediately, almost at the same moment, we both typed identical things in the chat-box - "what happened there?". 

It seems he THOUGHT he had called, but had pressed "FOLD" in error, just one of those Specsaver moments. Another weakness of old people, see, they misclick a lot.

Prety sure we've all done the same thing. It must have looked well dodgy to a stranger though! Luckily, everyone at the Table were regulars, & would have seen it for what it was.

• edited December 2013

The games seemed much tougher last night, but maybe that is just the mind playing tricks, as I did less well than hoped, & only made a fiver profit. 

A lot of the Big Boys are on the PLO8 Tables this week, maybe because of the Double Rewards, or perhaps it gives them a break from NLH or whatever.  

Lads like, say (just two examples) Chicknmelt & PatWalshh MAY not understand the nuances & technical side of PLO8 as much as the regulars do, but they DO fully understand DYM dynamics, which, I fancy, is 75% of the battle, so the usual soft spots are not so easy to come by. After Level 3 or 4, for example, they NEVER limp or peel, & they are not shy of finding squeeze situations.

I'm pleased they are here though, it improves the liquidity, which has to be good.

Plenty of games again last night, but I quit early, as I had ricked my back somehow, & I could not concentrate, as it was pretty painful.

I had to win both my last 2 games to turn a profit in the evening, too, oooh, the tension, I did a little fist-pump to myself when I finally won the last game. I'd been the Shortie all game, too, but a Big Stack kept limping into every hand, & would call ANY bet, so I was always hopeful I'd find the right spot & get a 2xup. And so it proved.

Really enjoyable session again.