You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Last night was the first time I'd seen the new "AWAY" feature for when a player is absent.

Perfect, does the job just right.

Knowing when a player is AWAY is an absolute vital element of DYM's, so it's a big help.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    The games seemed much tougher last night, but maybe that is just the mind playing tricks, as I did less well than hoped, & only made a fiver profit.  A lot of the Big Boys are on the PLO8 Tables this week, maybe because of the Double Rewards, or perhaps it gives them a break from NLH or whatever.   Lads like, say (just two examples) Chicknmelt & PatWalshh MAY not understand the nuances & technical side of PLO8 as much as the regulars do, but they DO fully understand DYM dynamics, which, I fancy, is 75% of the battle, so the usual soft spots are not so easy to come by. After Level 3 or 4, for example, they NEVER limp or peel, & they are not shy of finding squeeze situations.   I'm pleased they are here though, it improves the liquidity, which has to be good.   Plenty of games again last night, but I quit early, as I had ricked my back somehow, & I could not concentrate, as it was pretty painful. I had to win both my last 2 games to turn a profit in the evening, too, oooh, the tension, I did a little fist-pump to myself when I finally won the last game. I'd been the Shortie all game, too, but a Big Stack kept limping into every hand, & would call ANY bet, so I was always hopeful I'd find the right spot & get a 2xup. And so it proved. Really enjoyable session again.    
    Posted by Tikay10

hmmm, I wasn't playing last night

...the value will be back tonight for a few games though I imagine!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Thanks Mr Shuv. I love it when railers or friends pop on to my table to say hi, or exchange a few words, but I do find it hard to type a reply that does justice, at the same time as 4 or 5 Tabling. MOTHER (Amarie) is prone to talking a lot, you know how it is, but I pillage her Blinds relentlessly, so I can't complain. She caught me out last night, when she re-potted me with a proper hand, but my spanners got the job done nicely, think I had Q-9-6-3 or somesuch. (I misclicked, actually). Well she was not supposed to call, see? Serves her right for not giving me the respect my Raises should get. She seemed very pleased for me, anyway.  The hand you mention, yes, how bizarre was that?! We won't mention the chap's name here, but I've met him several times at Live Events, going back 6 or 7 years now. We get on fine, but he is extremely stubborn, (he is quite old, all old people are stubborn), & VERY competitive, & rarely folds to any bet from me.  I had not even realised he had raised, I had poo, Q-J-10-9 I think, or similar, but I was on the nick, as I was short-stacked. I nearly fainted when I realised he had already raised, but then he folded, think it was one tenth of a BB extra to him! Immediately, almost at the same moment, we both typed identical things in the chat-box - "what happened there?".   It seems he THOUGHT he had called, but had pressed "FOLD" in error, just one of those Specsaver moments. Another weakness of old people, see, they misclick a lot. Prety sure we've all done the same thing. It must have looked well dodgy to a stranger though! Luckily, everyone at the Table were regulars, & would have seen it for what it was.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just one word Mr K...  p--z!!
    ;)

PS Hope the back is ok
  • edited December 2013
    Last night was the first time I'd seen the new "AWAY" feature for when a player is absent. Perfect, does the job just right. Knowing when a player is AWAY is an absolute vital element of DYM's, so it's a big help.
    Posted by Tikay10

Yes, credit where credit is due - this is probably even better than the way of showing an "Away" player on the old tables. I have been fairly vociferous in my disliking some elements of the new tables, and am happy to say this has solved one of the two major issues in my eyes.
  • edited December 2013
    Lads like, say (just two examples) Chicknmelt & PatWalshh MAY not understand the nuances & technical side of PLO8 as much as the regulars do, but they DO fully understand DYM dynamics, which, I fancy, is 75% of the battle, so the usual soft spots are not so easy to come by.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    That's a very respectful way of saying we have no idea what we're doing in 0/8. Hahaa only joking Tikay, some fantastic games tonight. I was just ending a session and the 0/8 DYM was the last open, so I could really get into it and see it through. Good jest in the chat too! 

Best of luck, 

patwalshh
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just one word Mr K...  p--z!! ;) PS Hope the back is ok
    Posted by Amarie
    MOTHER!

putz indeed. Loved being called that, I feel like a Member of an exclusive club, not many get called that.

The back, sadly, is worse, no idea what has caused it. Luckily, I lost a lot of weight recently, so that must help. I am struggling to sleep, but managed to drop off eventually last night, only to be immediately awoken by a text from a poker friend, a vey nice text it was, too. Except he sent it at 01.15 this morning...... Jeez.

Hope you made a few bob last night.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes, credit where credit is due - this is probably even better than the way of showing an "Away" player on the old tables. I have been fairly vociferous in my disliking some elements of the new tables, and am happy to say this has solved one of the two major issues in my eyes.
    Posted by FCHD
    Have to agree, the new "AWAY" thing is excellent, far better than before, & it was definitely needed.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's a very respectful way of saying we have no idea what we're doing in 0/8. Hahaa only joking Tikay, some fantastic games tonight. I was just ending a session and the 0/8 DYM was the last open, so I could really get into it and see it through. Good jest in the chat too!  Best of luck,  patwalshh
    Posted by patwalshh
    Well I do have to phrase things with a little tact & decorum, yes........;)

In truth, I've no idea how good (technically) you are at PLO8, but I don't believe it matters if you fully get DTM strategy, & you clearly do.

The chat box banter was pretty good last night, yeah.

There were mutterings last night that I was "triple Barrel tikay" (which came out as "TRIPE barrel tikay" first time), but I do actually get very aggro when these are 4 handed.

I even surprise myself at how aggro I become when 4 handed, especially compared to my play 5 & 6 handed, when I sit there with the "PASS" button red-hot from constant clicking, & rarely play any hand. My style does not suit playing many hands early, I prefer to conserve chips until it matters. I mean, these whole things revolve around 4 handed play, everything else is irrelevant.

Tremendous fun.

It helps my results when you are in the game, too, as you generally amass a big stack & bully the Table, so I just sit there quietly with my mid-stack & let you do all the work for me. ;)

• edited December 2013

Wednesday 4th December

Played 19

Won 13

Lost 6

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 12, won 8, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 7, won 5, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £35.00

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £74.23

REWARD POINTS = 260

BANKROLL at close of Play = £546.44

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 866

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 65

Won 43

Lost 22

Win-rate, November, 66.15%

Profit/Loss per game = £1.14
  • edited December 2013

Variance is being very kind to me at the moment, lat night was my 4th winning session on the bounce, & the 'roll has raced from £472 to £544. The downswing must be very imminent, this can't possibly last. 

Still, on Friday, I get my November Reward Points money, just shy of £60, which goes into my December numbers, so I've got a bit of downswing insurance at the ready.

Great atmo on the Tables last night again. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Omaha players seem much more relaxed & stoic about bad beats than most, & I can't prove that, but I'm convinced it is true.

There was one Mr Angry last night, who limped in, then called a raise, three times running, & lost all three. Then he began a "rupert's mob are a joke" tirade. Everyone else just sat quietly, & said nothing. Eventually, it was clear he was mega-tilted, & he raised three hands in a row with total spanners, ran into big hands each time, & somehow won all three hands, busting 2 players in the process, & then went on to win the DYM outright. Not a word in the chat box though. ;)

The sheer variety of characters in poker is a thing of wonder, we all handle the game, & it's inevitable ups & downs, differently. A cracking character test, this game.

• edited December 2013
    Morning Tikay
    Did you see who won the main last night ?
  • edited December 2013
    Morning Tikay Did you see who won the main last night ?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Groan.......

How do these things happen?

Still, it looks like it cheered him up. You should see him when he's miserable.

• edited December 2013
    He'll be wallowing in the glory (or mud) this morning !
  • edited December 2013
    Variance is being very kind to me at the moment, lat night was my 4th winning session on the bounce, & the 'roll has raced from £472 to £544. The downswing must be very imminent, this can't possibly last.  Still, on Friday, I get my November Reward Points money, just shy of £60, which goes into my December numbers, so I've got a bit of downswing insurance at the ready. Great atmo on the Tables last night again. Someone mentioned elsewhere that Omaha players seem much more relaxed & stoic about bad beats than most, & I can't prove that, but I'm convinced it is true.   There was one Mr Angry last night, who limped in, then called a raise, three times running, & lost all three. Then he began a "rupert's mob are a joke" tirade. Everyone else just sat quietly, & said nothing. Eventually, it was clear he was mega-tilted, & he raised three hands in a row with total spanners, ran into big hands each time, & somehow won all three hands, busting 2 players in the process, & then went on to win the DYM outright. Not a word in the chat box though. ;) The sheer variety of characters in poker is a thing of wonder, we all handle the game, & it's inevitable ups & downs, differently. A cracking character test, this game.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I would argue that in omaha you expect to be outdrawn frequently, so when it happens, you dont mind so much. I holdem, when you get it in good you almost "expect" to win. I know that I take beats better when playing omaha.

you thought about trying to get some traffic going at the standard PLO8 SNGs instead of DYMs? I'd certainly be interested, and I'm sure youe edge would be even greater against PLO8 noobs like me...

• edited December 2013

Thursday 5th December

Played 18

Won 10

Lost 8

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 13, won 7, lost 6

£11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £3.00

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £77.23

REWARD POINTS = 240

BANKROLL at close of Play = £549.44

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,096

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 83

Won 53

Lost 30

Win-rate, November, 63.86%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.93
  • edited December 2013

Most peculiar day.

Won 8 of the first 10, & was heading for a great session, then promptly lost 6 of the next 8. 

It was a pleasant surprise when I checked my balance afterwards to find I'd sneaked a mini-profit, for a 5 day winning streak. Two of those days were only £5 & £3 profit, so Variance remains very much in love with me. So far.

One poor chap last night had entered a PLO8 DYM in error, he thought it was a NLH DYM (how DO you do that?) & had a super-rant, where every other word was the f-word, suitably spaced to get round the swear filter. He was VERY cross indeed. Everyone else at the table just said nothing, as they gleefully took his chips.

Not as many games going as I had hoped, so finished early. 

Need to up the volume tonight & over the weekend, it would be such a waste not to take advantage of the Double Points week. The weather is not looking good, & the November Reward money is paid today, so we might see a very busy weekend, fingers crossed.

Talking of Reward Points payments, I get my November money today, just shy of £60, so that will momentarily (until I play tonight....) take the 'roll above the £600 threshold for the first time. Am chufffed to bits. I started with £200, & was playing NLH cash, but no matter how hard I tried, the 'roll just bled away, & it was down to £131 before I decided enough was enough, & I just can't play NLH cash these days, & switched to PLO8. Was a good decisiion.

Will be trying hard tonight to stay in the £600's, after racing through the £500's in a matter of days, but variance owes me a right good kicking, & I sense a few days of downswonging is much overdue.

We shall see. You just never know with poker.

Have a good weekend, all of you.   

• edited December 2013
    One poor chap last night had entered a PLO8 DYM in error, he thought it was a NLH DYM (how DO you do that?)      
    Posted by Tikay10
    HaHa
    Its easy, even i've done it. Just as I was regging in my highlighted tourney the last place went, consequently I regged for the tourney that was directly below it. Fortunately I lend my hand to all forms of the deck (Well at least I try to) and managed to double my money :)

Variance is a peculiar little fella. You could easily be on the up for the next 2 years or 2 hours, but you are right....eventually it always comes back to give us a right good kicking :)

Have a good weekend sir.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : HaHa Its easy, even i've done it. Just as I was regging in my highlighted tourney the last place went, consequently I regged for the tourney that was directly below it. Fortunately I lend my hand to all forms of the deck (Well at least I try to) and managed to double my money :) Variance is a peculiar little fella. You could easily be on the up for the next 2 years or 2 hours, but you are right....eventually it always comes back to give us a right good kicking :) Have a good weekend sir.
    Posted by POKERTREV
    Thanks Trev, & you are right, variance is such a fickle mistress. Every time we think we have cracked the game, it comes along & gives us a good slap to put us in our place. I've run embarrassingly well of late, & was even thinking of stopping the daily updates, as they are starting to look a bit "chirpy", which is not the intention at all. Variance will not let me down though, she'll be back with a vengeance, & very soon I suspect. That's the sheer beauty of the whole poker thing.

I'm still unsure how one  accidentally enters a PLO8 DYM, surely the best way to ensure you enter the correct format is to use the filters & be in the "dedicated" lobby for that format? I can't accidentally register for NLH or Omaha, as I only use the PLO8 Lobby. I guess Murphy's Law comes into play though, if it can go wrong, it will.

You have a great weekend, too, & good luck with the December Orfordable League, starting tonight. You've done a terrific job with that. 

• edited December 2013
     One poor chap last night had entered a PLO8 DYM in error, he thought it was a NLH DYM (how DO you do that?)
    Posted by Tikay10

This is how I discovered PLO8, Same scenario as Trev.  (Quite a while ago obvs!)  When I announced to the table what I'd done and I was a newbie, 3 of the players were offering advice, and one was "away"!  I thought to myself "where else would your opponenst give you advice so you could beat them?" By a strange stroke of luck I cashed.....been downhill ever since.    ;-)

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I would argue that in omaha you expect to be outdrawn frequently, so when it happens, you dont mind so much. I holdem, when you get it in good you almost "expect" to win. I know that I take beats better when playing omaha. you thought about trying to get some traffic going at the standard PLO8 SNGs instead of DYMs? I'd certainly be interested, and I'm sure youe edge would be even greater against PLO8 noobs like me...
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Expect to be outdrawn more in Omaha? Yes, I guess that is fair. But we must expect to be outdrawn in NLH, too. The maths say we MUST & WILL be outdrawn x% of the time. Do people not understand that?

I see people chuntering that they "always" lose 60-40 shots. They don't, but they do lose 40% of them, & 40% is a lot.

Much of it is careless wording. "I never win with J-J/A-K" or whatever, is total nonsense, they are telling porkies. But we know what they are trying to say.

Revving up the traffic in PLO DYM's? Yes, I think about it constantly. I really must. Together with a good few others, we have built some reasonable liquidity (relative to the size of the site) in PLO8 now, & so the challenge is there, teasing me!

I'm not sure I'd do so well, mind. But it is 75% about DYM strategy, & as for the Omaha itself, I have a good technical understanding of the game, & much experience playing it. My weakness is lack of aggression, but I'm plenty aggro enough at the sharp end of DYM's so I'd be OK. Maybe. I'll definitely experiment with it, but every time I go to the PLO DYM Lobby, there is no traffic, & I need 4 or 5 games at a time ideally. I can't mix PLO & PLO8, either, I just can't do it.

Probably give it a try one evening soon, & if I can drum up some interest, I'll have a "Challenge" on it, rather like the PLO8 challenge thing. If you & a few others agree to help out, I'm sure we could soon rev up dsome decent liquidity.

I'd miss the PLO8 though, I genuinely enjoy it a great deal, it is such a lovely "thinking" game. And, like, say, golf, we keep trying to tinker with how we play it, try & be better, make adjustments, fettle fiffle & faffle, but we can never get it just right. I am playing it far far better now than I ever did, but still a longgggg way short of where I'd like to be. I leave a lot of equity in the middle in certain spots, as I'm not best sure how to proceed post-flop in certain situations. If I have an A-K type hand, & flop the Ace on a low only flop, I pretty much give up quickly, as I know I'm probably chopping at best.

It still astonishes me that players CALL all-in with low only hands, too. They win sometimes, of course, & I'm glad they do, because I need them to keep calling with such hands. I often RAISE with such hands, that is a very different thing, as we get (say) 75%% of our pre-flop raises through unchallenged in the late stages, but unless stack dynamics dictate it, I'm not a low hand caller, ever. I'd rather raise an unopened pot with poo than call a raise with a Low Only.  

Anyway, I started waffling there, sorry. As you were.         

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : This is how I discovered PLO8, Same scenario as Trev.  (Quite a while ago obvs!)  When I announced to the table what I'd done and I was a newbie, 3 of the players were offering advice, and one was "away"!  I thought to myself "where else would your opponenst give you advice so you could beat them?" By a strange stroke of luck I cashed.....been downhill ever since.    ;-)
    Posted by Glenelg
    You are so SCARY, pad, you turn up with all sorts, & I'm scared of taking you on!

You enjoy it though, & that's all that matters.

It is interesting though that when it happens, most of the Table are instantly there with helpful advice. There are some lovely people in poker.  

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Expect to be outdrawn more in Omaha? Yes, I guess that is fair. But we must expect to be outdrawn in NLH, too. The maths say we MUST & WILL be outdrawn x% of the time. Do people not understand that? I see people chuntering that they "always" lose 60-40 shots. They don't, but they do lose 40% of them, & 40% is a lot. Much of it is careless wording. "I never win with J-J/A-K" or whatever, is total nonsense, they are telling porkies. But we know what they are trying to say.   Revving up the traffic in PLO DYM's? Yes, I think about it constantly. I really must. Together with a good few others, we have built some reasonable liquidity (relative to the size of the site) in PLO8 now, & so the challenge is there, teasing me! I'm not sure I'd do so well, mind. But it is 75% about DYM strategy, & as for the Omaha itself, I have a good technical understanding of the game, & much experience playing it. My weakness is lack of aggression, but I'm plenty aggro enough at the sharp end of DYM's so I'd be OK. Maybe. I'll definitely experiment with it, but every time I go to the PLO DYM Lobby, there is no traffic, & I need 4 or 5 games at a time ideally. I can't mix PLO & PLO8, either, I just can't do it.   Probably give it a try one evening soon, & if I can drum up some interest, I'll have a "Challenge" on it, rather like the PLO8 challenge thing. If you & a few others agree to help out, I'm sure we could soon rev up dsome decent liquidity.   I'd miss the PLO8 though, I genuinely enjoy it a great deal, it is such a lovely "thinking" game. And, like, say, golf, we keep trying to tinker with how we play it, try & be better, make adjustments, fettle fiffle & faffle, but we can never get it just right. I am playing it far far better now than I ever did, but still a longgggg way short of where I'd like to be. I leave a lot of equity in the middle in certain spots, as I'm not best sure how to proceed post-flop in certain situations. If I have an A-K type hand, & flop the Ace on a low only flop, I pretty much give up quickly, as I know I'm probably chopping at best.   It still astonishes me that players CALL all-in with low only hands, too. They win sometimes, of course, & I'm glad they do, because I need them to keep calling with such hands. I often RAISE with such hands, that is a very different thing, as we get (say) 75%% of our pre-flop raises through unchallenged in the late stages, but unless stack dynamics dictate it, I'm not a low hand caller, ever. I'd rather raise an unopened pot with poo than call a raise with a Low Only.   Anyway, I started waffling there, sorry. As you were.           
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think you misunderstood the question slightly teeks - I was asking if you would be interested in pushing for some volume on the PLO8 SNG's with a "standard" top 2 paid structure, instead of the DYM's... 

I enjoy PLO too, so if you wanted to have a go at them instead I would be happy to donate the odd tenner like I have been at PLO8. 

on another note, I dont think I have ever heard a grown man, especially of your ripeness, using the word "poo" so much. rather amusing. 
  • edited December 2013
    Tremendous fun. It helps my results when you are in the game, too, as you generally amass a big stack & bully the Table, so I just sit there quietly with my mid-stack & let you do all the work for me. ;)    
    Posted by Tikay10
    I love to bully the games, but I think I should tone down on that somewhat within 0/8 DYMs. I hope the games have been treating you well and the results are trickling in Tikay. All the best.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : You are so SCARY, pad, you turn up with all sorts, & I'm scared of taking you on! You enjoy it though, & that's all that matters. It is interesting though that when it happens, most of the Table are instantly there with helpful advice. There are some lovely people in poker.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Why thanx, I think?  Anyhoo, just a heads-up, it's the Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown tomoz.  Get ya pokerz winnings on Somersby!   But shhhh!  don't tell a soul rite?
  • edited December 2013

BOOM!

My Reward Points money arrived safely, £59.63, so hello to the £600's.

That is BEFORE I commence tonight's session. I'll probably be back in the mid £500's after, but at least I temporarily trebled the 'roll.

Happy days, & good luck tonight, whatever you play.

• edited December 2013
    BOOM! My Reward Points money arrived safely, £59.63, so hello to the £600's. That is BEFORE I commence tonight's session. I'll probably be back in the mid £500's after, but at least I temporarily trebled the 'roll.   Happy days, & good luck tonight, whatever you play.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Wise words, it turned out......ugh!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Why thanx, I think?  Anyhoo, just a heads-up, it's the Tingle Creek Chase at Sandown tomoz.  Get ya pokerz winnings on Somersby!   But shhhh!  don't tell a soul rite?
    Posted by Glenelg
    I well remember the great Tingle Creek, trained by Bob Turnell, & ridden by his son, Andy, if I'm not mistaken. Was a standing dish at Sandown.

I actually stopped for a coffee at a hotel named "Tingle Creek" in the beguilingly beautiful Kyle of Lockalsh a few years ago, which stands at one end of the Skye Bridge. Yikes, I so want to go back there soon.  

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I love to bully the games, but I think I should tone down on that somewhat within 0/8 DYMs. I hope the games have been treating you well and the results are trickling in Tikay. All the best.
    Posted by patwalshh
    Not at all - you have got the balance just right, I wish I had your ability, if I did, I'd try & do what you do. I do agree, though, that PLO8 is not the best vehicle for unbridled aggression, at least not in Levels 1 to 4. From Level 5 onwards, yes, I fully agree, & even I get mega-aggro in the late stages, you have to.

"Abuse" may be too strong an adjective, but you play these beautifully.

My results have been very pleasing, on the whole, though I had a shocker last night, lol. I'm not fussed about bad days though, the long-term results are all that matters, & we must expect a few down days.