You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Monday 9th December

Played 8

Won 7

Lost 1

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 4, won 3, lost 1

£11.00 - Played 3, won 3, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £36.75

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £163.35

REWARD POINTS = 48

BANKROLL at close of Play = £640.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,397

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 194

Won 117

Lost 77

Win-rate, November, 60.30%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.84
  • edited December 2013

Just a short session last night, as I was a bit below the weather, but had a cracking set of results - won 7 from 8, including all three @ £11. Happy Days!

The end result was a £36 profit in little over an hour, though a mere 48 Reward Points was a disappointing number.

Just variance up to mischief I suppose - I lost 5 of the last 7 on Sunday to give me a curly lip, then promptly won 7 from 8 yesterday. What a grand lark this poker is.

it has skewed my figures quite a bit, average profit per game has shot up, but its best never to look at one line of stats, they can be so misleading. Anyway., I'll probably give it all back tonight.  
  • edited December 2013
    Are you aware that a sharkscope star may be beckoning? :)
    0.84 ave profit would place you 7th on the leaderboard over a 500 game streak.
    That's on the $2 to $5 games only, so your average profit on those might be a bit lower, as I know you're playing higher stakes as well.

Sorted your back out yet?
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Are you aware that a sharkscope star may be beckoning? :) 0.84 ave profit would place you 7th on the leaderboard over a 500 game streak. That's on the $2 to $5 games only, so your average profit on those might be a bit lower, as I know you're playing higher stakes as well. Sorted your back out yet?
    Posted by Jac35
    Ha, I don't think it counts for much over a 117 game streak though!

My average stake is around £6.50 or £7 at a guess. £, not $, that is.

My back is worse, to be honest, thats why I truncated my session last night. Its very rare for me to be unwell, or suffer aches & pains, so when I do, I'm a bit of a cry baby. It'll clear soon enough, & I hope to manage a full session on the tables tonight. 

Had some cracking games last night.

In one, with 5 of us left, one player was AWAY, Chicknmelt had 75% of the chips, & there were two shorties, being one other & me. Mr AWAY had more chips than us two shorties.

It was a right tactical struggle, as Melty had Position on me, which negated my position on Mr AWAY.

He was - quite correctly & reasonably - Potting it pre every hand, making it tough for us two Shorties to find a spot. The other Shortie was none too pleased, & I understand why, but Melty was doing nothing wrong, in fact, he was, in a way, being fair to Mr AWAY, because if either shortie did not find a spot, Mr AWAY wins. Very interesting situation! Anyway, I hung in, & just did enough.

Later, a new player joined another game, never seen him before. He raised pre the first three hands, & I thought, aye aye, we have a lively one here, probably a NLH player. But as the game went on, it became clear that he was good at PLO8 - VERY good indeed, one of the best I've seen in these. He never made, that I could see, a single technical mistake.

I was shortie 4 handed, but patience paid, & I got my double up, all square now. 

And the game just went on...and on.....soon the Blinds were 400-800, & the AVERAGE stack was LESS than 4 Bigs! I managed to nick the blinds 2 hands running to be monster chippie, then tried to sort of sit out & let the others bust each other. That was a fail, & soon I was down to less than One Big, & was forced to get it in bad 2 hands running, but luckily chopped both of them, to survive. By now, someone else was in deep trouble, the SB to my Big, & eventually, with just 100 chips behind, I was forced to call the SB's shove & I held.

Oooh!         
  • edited December 2013
    Urgh
    Horrible in Dyms when that happens. As you say, Chickn did nothing wrong. However, it's really frustrating. I've been in Chickns position a few times and generally I do fold in those spots. It's quite a difficult position to be in and it has bitten me a fair few times when the 'away' player has returned.
    The 'away' player causes a whole new dynamic to the games. Had a strange one the other day when there was a guy sitting out throughout. I was low and with around 600 chips left he returned. He was sb to my bb and he shoved. Happy days I had 9's. Darn it, lost to K4. 

Does Gerardirl play in your games? His record at Omaha is stunning.

I'm a bit sulky myself at the moment. Chipped a tooth a couple of weeks ago. Split one in two, last night. No pain fortunately, other than the bill. Lost a few roof tiles during the winds last week as well. Nice timing, just before Christmas!
    These things happen. Hopefully, that's all 3 out of the way, now :)
    Really annoys me when I get grumpy. Nothing to get grumpy about really. Then I get grumpy because I'm grumpy.
    I shall endeavour to stop being grumpy.

• edited December 2013

Tuesday 10th December

Played 13

Won 8

Lost 5

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 8, won 5, lost 3

£11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £11.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.85

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £174.35

REWARD POINTS = 90

BANKROLL at close of Play = £651.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,487

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 207

Won 125

Lost 82

Win-rate, November, 60.39%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.84
  • edited December 2013

Another short session last night.

Swung & swong a treat, LOST 4 of the first 5, then WON 7 of the next 8, at which stage I called it a night before the swing turned back to swong again. Won 8 out of 13, & made £11, which will do very nicely. I'm such a nit.

Copule of the Big Boys were back, & there seemed plenty of games - I was mostly playing 4 at a time - pretty surprising, considering it was a big Champions League night.

The chap who is a new name to me, who I mentioned yesterday, was busy again, in several the games, & he is deffo very good indeed. Looks like he is a Heads Up player, his aggression levels suggest so, & he knows his betting & calling ranges to a tee. Good to have these really good players in the game, it really is.

Good fun, & immensely relaxing evening, even if it was a short one.

Might be a very short session again tonight, as I have a Vera Lynn Meeting today - don't know where, don't know when - & I imagine I'll not be back home until mid-evening.

Probably be having a couple of nights off between Thursday & Sunday, too, life issues to deal with.

All good.  

• edited December 2013
    Urgh Horrible in Dyms when that happens. As you say, Chickn did nothing wrong. However, it's really frustrating. I've been in Chickns position a few times and generally I do fold in those spots. It's quite a difficult position to be in and it has bitten me a fair few times when the 'away' player has returned. The 'away' player causes a whole new dynamic to the games. Had a strange one the other day when there was a guy sitting out throughout. I was low and with around 600 chips left he returned. He was sb to my bb and he shoved. Happy days I had 9's. Darn it, lost to K4.  Does Gerardirl play in your games? His record at Omaha is stunning. I'm a bit sulky myself at the moment. Chipped a tooth a couple of weeks ago. Split one in two, last night. No pain fortunately, other than the bill. Lost a few roof tiles during the winds last week as well. Nice timing, just before Christmas! These things happen. Hopefully, that's all 3 out of the way, now :) Really annoys me when I get grumpy. Nothing to get grumpy about really. Then I get grumpy because I'm grumpy. I shall endeavour to stop being grumpy.
    Posted by Jac35
    Morning Paul.

Yup, an AWAY player totally changes the game dynamic, & in so many ways. Very uncomfy, in so many ways. Not everyone realises, & everyone treats the situation differently. It just makes me uncomfortable, but the game has to go on. The thing I dislike to see is someone making inappropriate comments in the chat box in these spots. It all needs to be "unspoken" really. The moment someone says "RAISE YOU FOOL, THE PLAYER IS AWAY" then that amounts to collusion, & should never happen. But we DO often think exactly that......!

The new software identifies AWAY players so much better, incidentally. 

Do I know "gerardirl" & does he sit in the PLO8 games?

He only plays PLO as far as I know, & plays it very well indeed from what I observe. I may well be joining him soon, I'm seriously thinkng of having a crack at livening up the PLO DYM traffic after Christmas, see if I can rev up some interest & liquidity. Not many games run above £3 at the moment.

He came into the chatbox of one of my Tables recently, & was very cross with me. Apparently, during a TV Show, I had misread his name, which displeased him. I understand people are fussy about their names being correct, but it's not easy in the TV Studio, & we don't do it deliberately.

I had called him "gerardGirl" not "gerardirl".

Anyway, I apologised, & I hope he has forgiven me, & I think we are cool like Fonzy now.

This was a month or two ago, but the TV Show when I got his name wrong was.....3 years ago! I was a bit surprised such a thing troubled him for so long, but I suppose these things do upset some folk.

How is the Jac GrumpoMeter this morning?

Must confess, I'm having a few grumpy moments right now, think my back is not helping, it just "niggles" me so much. I go into a little petrol station every morning at 0530 or 0600 to get a 'paper & my first Costa, & they have a little Promo, "buy 6, get one free", they give you a little card & stamp it every time you buy a coffee. Today was THE day, my freebie was due, so I give the chap my little card with 6 stamps on it expecting my freebie.

"Sorry mate, the Promo finished yesterday".

"Uh? you stamped my card every day for the last 6 days & never told me it would expire?"

"Not my fault mate".      

Well, I made a bit of a scene, got all shouty-wouty with him, told him what I thought, proper Mr Angry style. Sort it out mate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

Anyway, I get back in the car & set off, & realise I've just made a song & dance for.....£2.30. How daft is that?! Puts the "name wrong" story into some sort of perspective - I doubt he'd get as angry as I did, & this was all over £2 quid!

We are very strange things, us people.
  • edited December 2013

A coffee promotion similar is running at that place where 'the old man has a farm'...you know the one? Runs till dec 2014, so you should be ok.

Perhaps you and  that other grumpy old man, Jac, can meet for morning coffee over the next few days there and put the world to rights.
  • edited December 2013
    A coffee promotion similar is running at that place where 'the old man has a farm'...you know the one? Runs till dec 2014, so you should be ok. Perhaps you and  that other grumpy old man, Jac, can meet for morning coffee over the next few days there and put the world to rights.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Good grief Maxy, I would NEVER set foot in one of their establishments.

Have you ever tasted that stuff they laughingly describe as "coffee"?

Jac & I are MUCH better class. Wimpy beats a Big Mac, all day.  
  • edited December 2013
    I find the coffee in McD actually pretty good, at least matching what you pay an extra pound for in one of those establishments with "coffee" in their name.
  • edited December 2013
    I find the coffee in McD actually pretty good, at least matching what you pay an extra pound for in one of those establishments with "coffee" in their name.
    Posted by FCHD
    I have to disagree. Frightfully bitter.
    Starbucks would have to be number 1. They've just opened a new franchise on the route to the golf club. Starting to get expensive now.
    Costa at 2. Probably the place where I drink most of my lattes. Costa just seem to be everywhere. Start most days with a latte from the Railway Station
    LP4 at 3 Could actually be the be the best of the bunch. Just not many about. 

A bit like Crypto, I fondly remember CoffeeNation.

• edited December 2013

Wednesday 11th December

Played 22

Won 7

Lost 15

Split....

£5.50 - Played 18, won 5, lost 13

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £53.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £2.40

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £124.35

REWARD POINTS = 130

BANKROLL at close of Play = £598.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,617

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 229

Won 132

Lost 97

Win-rate, November, 57.64%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.54
  • edited December 2013
    Wednesday 11th December Played 22 Won 7 Lost 15 Split.... £2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0 £5.50 - Played 18, won 5, lost 13 £11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £53.00 PROFIT/ LOSS per game £2.40 PROFIT / LOSS in December, £124.35 REWARD POINTS = 130 BANKROLL at close of Play = £598.56 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,617
    Posted by Tikay10
    Were you on tilt from your coffee incident earlier?
  • edited December 2013

Well that blows a hole in all the stats & numbers!

Yikes, I got beat up proper good, by everyone.

My timing was so bad, too. With 4 left, hands like A-K-2-3 play themselves, but I ran them into Aces every time last night. Not bad luck, just variance evening things up, I've run embarrassingly well for weeks now.

Made a few errors, too. With double average & 5 players left, I had no need to go to war with A-K-2-3, but when the guy pushed, I was sort of stubborn, stupidly so. He had the Aces of course. And I had not noticed a THIRD player called all-in before it got back to me.....they chopped it, I sat in the corner with a curly lip.

Nothing else to be said really, just one of those nights.

I used to get School Reports. "Must try harder". That was 60 years ao, & I've still not learned the lesson......

The recovery trail starts here.

Very little Online Poker the next few days, goota go sort out my allotment.
  • edited December 2013
    Well that blows a hole in all the stats & numbers! Yikes, I got beat up proper good, by everyone. My timing was so bad, too. With 4 left, hands like A-K-2-3 play themselves, but I ran them into Aces every time last night. Not bad luck, just variance evening things up, I've run embarrassingly well for weeks now.   Made a few errors, too. With double average & 5 players left, I had no need to go to war with A-K-2-3, but when the guy pushed, I was sort of stubborn, stupidly so. He had the Aces of course. And I had not noticed a THIRD player called all-in before it got back to me.....they chopped it, I sat in the corner with a curly lip.   Nothing else to be said really, just one of those nights.   I used to get School Reports. " Must try harder ". That was 60 years ao, & I've still not learned the lesson...... The recovery trail starts here. Very little Online Poker the next few days, goota go sort out my allotment.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Frost on your sprouts would be a bad thing!
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Frost on your sprouts would be a bad thing!
    Posted by VespaPX

Actually, sprouts that have been subjected to frost taste WAYY better!  Makes them sweeter.  ;-)

• edited December 2013

Thursday 12th December

Played 7

Won 4

Lost 3

Split....

£5.50 - Played 5, won 3, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 2, won 1, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £1.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.14

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £125.35

REWARD POINTS = 45

BANKROLL at close of Play = £599.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,662

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 236

Won 136

Lost 100

Win-rate, November, 57.62%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.53
  • edited December 2013

Despite the fact I had company last night, I managed a brief session, (that went down well....) & just edged the game count by 4-3, & won a whole quid. Just the one, like.

Still, it stopped the rot from the previous day. Hardly a heater, more a Gas Mark 1 job.

Some unsavoury Rail Chat from one or two players last night.

Mid hand, one guy types "I just KNOW you have A-2 of hearts". Which was fairly unlikely, as at showdown, he had both those cards in his own hand......

Then, with 4 left in another, & when I had the Button, the BB types "IF YOU BET, I CALL". I bet, obv, & he called. Not sure what he thought I'd do if he said that. He only had spanners.

Then, in another game, after an opener had Potted it, guy behind (A-2 hearts man again) types I HAVE A-A-2-K" then repots it. The Opener repotted it. The "I have A-A-2-K" man snap-folded......

I think he was telling porkies.

You see all sorts in poker, eh?  

• edited December 2013
    There is a player in the NL Dyms that does this constantly.

Everytime they go all in they type something like "KK". On their BB, they will write "I will call anyone who shoves" or when you do shove they will write "bad timing AA" then fold.

Unfortunately, they are generally rude throughout the games. One of the sharkscope abusers, as well.
    Unsurprisingly , when I sharkscoped them, they had a dreadful record.

• edited December 2013
    There is a player in the NL Dyms that does this constantly. Everytime they go all in they type something like "KK". On their BB, they will write "I will call anyone who shoves" or when you do shove they will write "bad timing AA" then fold. Unfortunately, they are generally rude throughout the games. One of the sharkscope abusers, as well. Unsurprisingly , when I sharkscoped them, they had a dreadful record.
    Posted by Jac35
    Please tell me you used this against him ;)

Loving the thread sir. Not as dry as I'd like it, but it's all gravy :)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Please tell me you used this against him ;) Loving the thread sir. Not as dry as I'd like it, but it's all gravy :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Obviously I wouldn't even consider using it against them. 
    That would be a clear breach of forum rules. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Please tell me you used this against him ;) Loving the thread sir. Not as dry as I'd like it, but it's all gravy :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Excellent news.

The number of thread readers can now officially be stated as a plural.

I just like to keep a track of how I am doing, but a daily report with acres of Hand Histories is not my bag at all. Now - imo of course - that WOULD be dry. ETTO of course. 

• edited December 2013
    There is a player in the NL Dyms that does this constantly. Everytime they go all in they type something like "KK". On their BB, they will write "I will call anyone who shoves" or when you do shove they will write "bad timing AA" then fold. Unfortunately, they are generally rude throughout the games. One of the sharkscope abusers, as well. Unsurprisingly , when I sharkscoped them, they had a dreadful record.
    Posted by Jac35
    whereas i've just been rubdowned (well it should be a word) by a silver star shark
    each to their own eh!
  • edited December 2013

Ahh, excellent, we've added a word to the Sky Poker lexioconic (?) portfolio.

rubdowned

That is right up there with crushings

Sorry to hear you got some chatbox grief Gelders. The world of Online is THE most peculiar of places. If it helps, we rarely see rubdownness when we LOSE a hand, only when we win, or do well. Losing with dignity, which was so important back in the day, appears to be out of fashion.