You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Was unable to play on Thursday, as I was working.

Anna hosted a great show, & we had so much fun, what with Train Quizzes & BSA Bantams. Really enjoyable to do, though the Studio aircon broke down, & it was like a sauna in there. 

Over 5 hours under a battery of studio lights - they throw out a ton of heat -  no aircon & no air circulation was stamina-sapping, but we had so much viewer interaction, especially during the Sky Sports simulcast, that it was still enjoyable. Even got a memo from the Top TV Suit, "good show". First in 7 years I think, but thats partly as I work with Orford so much, & he's so bad.

Amnyway, BIG session yesterday to make up for the lost day. 30 Games (17-13 in my favour), & a whopping (for me) 175 Reward Points. Nearly got £50 worth now.

A profit of just £7.50 overr 30 games is pretty bad really, but it beats a loss I suppose.

Managed to lose three different games on the very first hand, which must be some sort of record for me. I had good aces all three times, & lost v Aces twice, in one I was drawing dead on the flop, he flopped the world. In the third one, the guy was new to PLO8, & we got the lot in pre. He turned over Q-Q-A-2, so I had him all locked up, I had A-A-Q-2 DS, so he was in real bad shape. Until the case Queen doored. So embarrassing to exit first hand!

Plenty of traffic last night, too, which was good to see. A few threads on the Community suggest there were problems with Tables not opening last night, but mine ran smooth as silk, & the amount of DYM traffic suggests it was the same for most others. It's really weird how these problems affect some, & not others.

Hoping for another good session today, as tomorrow will be a bit awkward, as I have some stuff to do for 861.

Bit busy today, so thats it for now, but enjoy your Saturday, whatever you plan to do.       

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Morning Tikay Could i ask your advice on this hand from last night on a table we shared. As soon as the board paired on the turn i thought a FH was possible. Just a sigh call on river??? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance Ice_Tiger Small blind   10.00 10.00 1975.00 boothy23 Big blind   20.00 30.00 1960.00   Your hole cards 2 A J 2       VespaPX Raise   70.00 100.00 1990.00 gayson75 Fold         tikay1 Fold         GELDY Fold         Ice_Tiger Fold         boothy23 Call   50.00 150.00 1910.00 Flop     10 K Q       boothy23 Check         VespaPX Bet   75.00 225.00 1915.00 boothy23 Call   75.00 300.00 1835.00 Turn     K       boothy23 Check         VespaPX Check         River     4       boothy23 Bet   120.00 420.00 1715.00 VespaPX Call   120.00 540.00 1795.00 boothy23 Show A K 3 4       VespaPX Muck 2 A J 2       boothy23 Win high Full House, Kings and 4s 540.00   2255.00   No qualifying low hand        
    Posted by VespaPX
    Yes Mick, a sigh call I think.

Late on, with the Blinds much bigger, we can let go of this one easily enough, but as this stage, yes, I think we have to call, as we have plenty of time & chips to recover.

Thats the key - we can recover.

He does not HAVE to have the house, of course, but as played, he probably does.

I still call at that Blind Level though, but deffo not when the Blinds are big. We have enough edge without taking risks like that.

Seeing that Ice-Tiger was on that table reminds me, Ice ran SO bad last night, it was criminal. We both had the Aces, but I won the hand, then Ice had Aces & lost again a few hands later. Horrible game when it goes like that, & I felt quite bad about it.

Nice mix of players last night again, plenty of "new" faces. 

One regular, who was in every game, limped into EVERY single hand the whole evening, incredible!

I tried popping it up, they still called, lol. Never folded a hand pre flop all night. DID OK, too. I still want him on every table I play though. ;)

Hope to see you on the Tables a bit later Mick. Am at the Office right now, but will be off home shortly, & firing up a few tables. Not literally, like. 

How did you get on in your maiden Main Event last night? Enjoy it?    
  • edited December 2013
    I still call at that Blind Level though, but deffo not when the Blinds are big. We have enough edge without taking risks like that.
    Not sure I agree with ya here tikay! When the blinds get bigger our skill advantage evaporates as it essentially becomes a shove/fold game.  Therefore if we are in a situation where a call is going to be very +ev it pays to take it later on since it's hard to find big +ev situations.

However early on there will be plenty of situations we can find ourselves in that are hugely +ev so we can pass up on making 'crying' calls because we want to preserve our chips in case we do find a really +ev situation. 

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes Mick, a sigh call I think. Late on, with the Blinds much bigger, we can let go of this one easily enough, but as this stage, yes, I think we have to call, as we have plenty of time & chips to recover. Thats the key - we can recover. He does not HAVE to have the house, of course, but as played, he probably does. I still call at that Blind Level though, but deffo not when the Blinds are big. We have enough edge without taking risks like that.   Seeing that Ice-Tiger was on that table reminds me, Ice ran SO bad last night, it was criminal. We both had the Aces, but I won the hand, then Ice had Aces & lost again a few hands later. Horrible game when it goes like that, & I felt quite bad about it.   Nice mix of players last night again, plenty of "new" faces.  One regular, who was in every game, limped into EVERY single hand the whole evening, incredible! I tried popping it up, they still called, lol. Never folded a hand pre flop all night. DID OK, too. I still want him on every table I play though. ;) Hope to see you on the Tables a bit later Mick. Am at the Office right now, but will be off home shortly, & firing up a few tables. Not literally, like.  How did you get on in your maiden Main Event last night? Enjoy it?    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks Tony

My maiden ME , best not talk about that.
    Be on later to do battle :-)
  • edited December 2013
    Not sure I agree with ya here tikay! When the blinds get bigger our skill advantage evaporates as it essentially becomes a shove/fold game.  Therefore if we are in a situation where a call is going to be very +ev it pays to take it later on since it's hard to find big +ev situations. However early on there will be plenty of situations we can find ourselves in that are hugely +ev so we can pass up on making 'crying' calls because we want to preserve our chips in case we do find a really +ev situation. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic[/
    QUOTE]

Thanks Sergeant Ivanovic.

I entirely get what you are saying, but I'm not wholly sure I agree 100%.

What matters is that we get ourselves 4 handed, with blinds, typically 150-300, & a stack of between 1,000 to 2,000, ideally 1,500 to 2,000. Nothing else matters.

Along the way, all decisions must bear that in mind. + or - Ev, bla bla, is all relative. We just need to get 4 handed with a playable stack.

Yes, 4 handed & blinds big, we are now in shove/fold territory, but I disagree it reduces the skill advantage. This is where our edge comes in, knowing when, & with what, to shove. It is VERY hard to call at this stage (I almost NEVER call at this stage, I only BET), & I bet with TWO WAY HANDS every time. It MUST be two wayers, no matter how weak the low end is, but it is the HIGH hand that really matters, because we an GUARANTEEE there will be a High. We can't guarantee there will be a low.

Anyone who wants to call these bets is likely to be behind at one or both ends. Generally, & for reasons which completely baffle me, many players call the first bet with a low only hand. When the flop comes high, & we fire again, they have to fold. 

To be fair to you, PLO8 plays VERY different to NLH, because of the "two pot" thing, which completely changes the dynamic.         
  • edited December 2013

Saturday 21st December

Played 26

Won 12

Lost 14

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 20, won 9, lost 11

£11.00 - Played 6, won 3, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £26.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.00

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £225.10

REWARD POINTS = 160

BANKROLL at close of Play = £702.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,455
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 371

Won 218

Lost 153

Win-rate, November, 58.76%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.61
  • edited December 2013

Them 1, Me 0.

I got a bit beat up yesterday, I even lost the Game-Count (VERY rare for me) by 14-12.

Think I probably deserved it in truth, I was not quite on my A-Game, & it only takes being slightly under par, & the results suffer. The margins are fine, we need to win 55% to break even, & winning 57.5% to 60% gives us a very workable profit. I won 46% yesterday, which is a LONG way short, especially as I played a decent sample size, 26 games.

So, £26 went the other way, & the roll goes back to £702 from £728.

Reward Points are ticking over nicely though, 3,455 now is close to £52, & I still have several days play left in December.

Plenty of £5.50 games yesterday, but scant action at £11. Thought there would be more £11 games, as the site was incredibly busy. So hard to predict these things.

Only playing a reduced session today, as tonight, I have to work.* 

• edited December 2013

* work?

Well not exactly work, & I'm not doing the Show tonight, that will be Stu Rutter & whatshisname.

But I will be playing THREE NLH Tourneys tonight - The Super Roller, the Mini, & another "special" Tourney which I had better not mention, as I can't yet see it in the Lobby. Assuming it goes ahead (the unmentionable one) I'll have a £50 Bounty on my head, & whoever busts me gets that.

I'll also be doing several Skype updates to the Show during these Tourneys.

All things considered, guess I'll need to abandon the DYM's this evening, as juggling that little lot, the NLH Tourneys, & Skype calls, it'll be a bit much for me.

The Skype calls are not just a 2 minute call either, to do it properly, I need to keep notes of what has happened on my Table, names for shoutouts, bits of promo, bla bla.

I resisted Skype initially, but everyone else on Ch 861 agreed, so I got a bit stranded, & had to agree eventually. The nice man installed it on my Lappie on Thursday, & it seemed to work ok, but I've never used it in my life, so it might be a bit interesting tonight. 

I don't play poker on my Company Lappie (where the Skype is installed) so I'll be juggling two Lappies tonight during the Skype-Ins. Gawd knows where I am supposed to look when I'm playing poker on one, & Skyping on the other. TV Gold it will not be. And Orford is in the Studio, so we can rely on him to be sympathetic, right?

Roll on tomorrow.   

• edited December 2013
    I am in awe of your technological wizardry, Tikay.

If all goes wrong in the poker world, I'm sure NASA will have an open door for you.
  • edited December 2013
    I am in awe of your technological wizardry, Tikay. If all goes wrong in the poker world, I'm sure NASA will have an open door for you.
    Posted by PokerNoon
    Awesome skills, eh?

Skype, at my age, who'd have thought?

Anyway, I'm having an off-air Skype-rehearsal @ 18.25 this evening.

Down with the kids. 

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Awesome skills, eh? Skype, at my age, who'd have thought? Anyway, I'm having an off-air Skype-rehearsal @ 18.25 this evening. Down with the kids.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Ha, yes. If you want to be totally down with the kids, you need to start replacing 's' with 'z', as in 'kidz' not 'kids' and 'skillz' not 'skills'.

Also if you start wearing a baseball cap back to front and saying things like 'totally rad dooodz', you will stay young forever. 

I should really be charging for this level of wizdom.

Anyway good luck on Zkype and on the tablez later.
  • edited December 2013
    That's if you wanted to be down with "kids" from 15 years ago!
  • edited December 2013

Sunday 22nd December

Played 2

Won 1

Lost 1

Split....

£5.50 - Played 2, won 1, lost 1

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £1.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.50

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £224.10

REWARD POINTS = 10

BANKROLL at close of Play = £701.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,580
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 373

Won 219

Lost 154

Win-rate, November, 58.71%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.60
  • edited December 2013

Just 2 DYM's on Sunday, as I was playing the MTT's & doing Skype calls to the Show.

It was really quite stressy for me. I had to do the Skype calls on my Company lappie, & play on my personal lappie, so it was all quite awkward. I'm not awfully comfy doing these in-vision Skype things, either. It was my first time doing that, & I'm a bit old to be learning new tricks. (See thread title....). 

I got beat up proper good in the MTT's, too, I played 3 of them & hardly got above starting stack in any of them.

In the Christmas Cracker - a fun concept incidentally - I lost a few pots early doors, running AK into a flopped straight, which cost me half my stack. There was a £50 Bounty on my head, so I now had to pick my spot with some care, as I'd obviously get called pretty wide......

Anyway, down to 6 Bigs @ 150-300, I jammed with A-6 & run smack into A-K, so that was that. Mr Angry in the chat box, doubtless miffed because HE hoped to get the £50, then types....

Call yourself an expert, what a shocking play with A-6.

Well I do NOT call myself an expert Sir, but I only had 6 Bigs

Yes you do, you're an expert on the Show

No, I'm an analyst, not an expert

Same thing

Yes yes, I'm sure you are right.  

Not much more I could say, really......the old "turn the other cheek" is the best answer I suppose.

I the Super Roller, I peaked at 14,000, but it was all downhill from there, & I exited in about 84th I think, A-10 into A-K when I had 9 Bigs. I'm hopeless, lol. 

I did 3 or 4 Skype calls to the Studio, & had to endure the (good-natured) non stop ribbing & mock abuse from Orford & Stu. Marv.....

A day later, Orford went & won the £2.20 @ 2.20. We shall never hear the end of it. I may have to do what Captain Oates did all those years ago.

After I'd exited the MTT's, in which I'd felt, correctly, right out of my depth, I decided to play a PLO8 DYM, as I'd not had chance all day, & I had the "hunger". I sort of wanted to regain my self-esteem, & I know I play PLO8 reasonably competently.

And I absolutely OWNED the Table, controlled the game throughout, & absolutely cruised to the win. Easy game, & I felt so much better after that. YES, I CAN PLAY THE GAME, I CAN. I mean, I totally owned the table, it was like a Piggott hard-held victory. BOOM, take that boys.

So I decided to play another. And exited in Level One.   

• edited December 2013

Monday 23rd December

Played 30

Won 19

Lost 11

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 23, won 17, lost 6

£11.00 - Played 6, won 1, Lost 5

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £0.75

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.03

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £223.35

REWARD POINTS = 178

BANKROLL at close of Play = £700.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,758
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 403

Won 238

Lost 165

Win-rate, November, 59.05%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.55
  • edited December 2013
    I'm guessing that you're not going to make it up to the Highlands this year, then?
    Pity.

I really hope you do find the time for yourself soon to do this. Get up there, no internet, some good books and your camera.
    February will be hugely rewarding but also stressful.

Not sure people always appreciate the work you do on here and other places.
    Putting out fires, patiently explaining things to people. You do it in such a marvelous way. A way, that I will never have the skill to do. You have a wonderfully persuasive manner and very subtlety get your point across.

I think you have had a huge influence on the way people view things in poker.
    Pet hates for you such as the abuse of players "fish" and "moron" for example, are now the exception, rather than the rule, when you see it.

You are hugely respected by myself and all the community on here.
    Have a lovely Christmas.

• edited December 2013

Back to DYM business properly yesterday, & played 30 games, winning the Game-Count 19-11.

19-11, pretty good, huh, almost two thirds?

Well I THOUGHT it was, until I saw I'd lost fifteen bob!

What?

Then I did the analysis, & realised I had played SIX @ £11, & lost FIVE of them.

How did that happen? Absolutely destroyed my returns, ugh.

Guess it is part of the problem of playing different stakes.

I never ran particularly bad - or good - just neutral really. One of those things I suppose, variance will sort it out eventually.

I only made one bad unforced error, or at least, I only recognized one. When we reach the shove stage, with Blinds huge & 4 players left, I'm obsessed with being first to open. 75% or 80% of the time I don't get called, so that's clearly the right route. Also, I like two-way hands when I shove. Anyway, a serial-raiser openedf, & I re-shoved weith A-K-2-3 double suited, which is a lovely hand. But he had the Aces, & held. My bad, I should have snap-folded once he opened & bided my time. Arrgh.

One DYM was especially noteworthy, & it was an £11 affair. Recent recruit to the PLO8 DYM's is "yamyamarmy", who I assume to be a Wolves supporter.

We chat in the box, & he's a good lad - & VERY good at both PLO8, & DYM strategy, a fearsome opponent indeed.

We were 4 handed, & he tangled with a big stack, & was presumably on the draw, & missed - & he FOLDED on the River with HALF A BIG  blind behind!

2 players had big stacks, I had a comfy stack, & him with half a Big. How can I not cash in this baby? I was just "running down the clock", (passing to the win), & all seemed fine. Then he doubled up. And again. And again. And again.......

It was not helped by the two Biggies, who were just open-shoving with any 4. Yamyam was so patient, just picking them off, bit by bit. It was pretty frustrating to watch the sub-optimal play by the biggies, but that's how the game works, we can't rely on others to do our work. And never double up the shorties if they play good DYM strategy.

Lovely to see patience & intelligence so rewarded by YaYam though, very well done him. We were on another Table shortly after, & I congratulated him, & he seemed a really smashing chap.

Any yes, in case you were wondering, he cashed, & I did not.....     

• edited December 2013

Another full session planned for today, so hope to see a few of you later.

As you may know, I don't celebrate Christmas, as I'm not a practising Christian, & I'm teetotal. I'm also a grumpy old sod. So tomorrow, Crimble Day, I'll play all day IF there is any traffic. I doubt there'll be much traffic during the day, but I reckon there will be a bit in the evening. We'll see.

No play on Boxing day, or not much, as I have guests coming. UKOPS starts Friday, & I don't know if 861 will want me to do any phone-ins or play some UKOPS stuff, & on Saturday I'm doing the Show, so not much DYM poker the next few days. Normal service will resume on Monday I guess, leaving 2 days to try & pump up my Reward Points. 4,000 should be easy, but it'd be neat to press on to 4,500 or so, my highest ever. We shall see.

Anyway, have a lovely Xmas, whatever you do & however you spend it. See you the other side, eh?      

• edited December 2013
    I'm guessing that you're not going to make it up to the Highlands this year, then? Pity. I really hope you do find the time for yourself soon to do this. Get up there, no internet, some good books and your camera. February will be hugely rewarding but also stressful. Not sure people always appreciate the work you do on here and other places. Putting out fires, patiently explaining things to people. You do it in such a marvelous way. A way, that I will never have the skill to do. You have a wonderfully persuasive manner and very subtlety get your point across. I think you have had a huge influence on the way people view things in poker. Pet hates for you such as the abuse of players "fish" and "moron" for example, are now the exception, rather than the rule, when you see it. You are hugely respected by myself and all the community on here. Have a lovely Christmas.
    Posted by Jac35
    Wow, thanks Paul, I'm incredibly touched by that.

I will reply - I want to - but let me reflect on a few things first.

I have a habit of getting very reflective at Christmas. I'm happily alone, & I think of my Dad, who went upstairs over 30 years ago, & my life, & all sorts of stuff, & I get quite emotional. Happily emotional, like, but deffo emotional.

For now, though, thank you very much, every word of that struck home, & means so very much to me. My Dad will be as proud as punch when he sees that. I talk to him every day, you know, & I'll tell him. 

Jeez, I'm welling up here, what a daft old sod I am.

xx  

• edited December 2013
    Seasonal greetings Tikay and don't worry that Jac wants to send you up to the Scottish Highlands where it is below zero blowing a blizzard with snow drifting everywhere lol.
  • edited December 2013
    Good morning Tikay
    Just a quick thank you for all you have done this year for the Sky Poker community.
    You were the first top player to join in the @2.20 for £2.20 DEEPSTACK, and you got peoples interest.
    As you know yesterdays game was won by Mr Orford, joking aside it was a brilliant game with some great players involved and some great banter.
    £2.20 was great value for the entertainment.
    My next top player i would like to take part is Mr Ryan Spittles a great player who has worked his way up the ranks. Ihave nothing but the upmost respect for him, and it would be an honour if he could join in one afternoon.
    All the best.
    AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS
    Rainman397.
    P.S Sky dave has added one level of late reg to the @2,20 for £2.20 DEEPSTACK thanks to Maxally.  
  • edited December 2013
    Good morning Tikay Just a quick thank you for all you have done this year for the Sky Poker community. You were the first top player to join in the @2.20 for £2.20 DEEPSTACK, and you got peoples interest. As you know yesterdays game was won by Mr Orford, joking aside it was a brilliant game with some great players involved and some great banter. £2.20 was great value for the entertainment. My next top player i would like to take part is Mr Ryan Spittles a great player who has worked his way up the ranks. Ihave nothing but the upmost respect for him, and it would be an honour if he could join in one afternoon. All the best. AND HAPPY CHRISTMAS Rainman397. P.S Sky dave has added one level of late reg to the @2,20 for £2.20 DEEPSTACK thanks to Maxally.  
    Posted by rainman397
    Ha, it was my pleasure Rainman, & I LOVE to see folks doing stuff themselves instead of just blaming everyone else, or Sky Poker, for whatever. You are doing a great job, self-help ftw.

Ryan? He WILL play it, I promise. He is a little unwell at the moment, he wrote to me last night to explain, but he'll be back fit & well very soon, & I know he'll play it one day, he's a smashing lad, & an absolute credit to Channel 861. 

Have a good Christmas.  

• edited December 2013
    Have a good one Tony.
    2014 will soon be here and a step closer to your Vegas trip.
    Regards
    Mick
  • edited December 2013
    Just want to echo everyones best wishes for 2014 Tikay.  Diary has been a great read.  Keep chuntering..... ;-)
    I was wondering,  are you are still planning a trip down under soon?  You've nearly got profit for a trip on the "Gann"? 
  • edited December 2013

Tuesday 24th December

Played 30

Won 19

Lost 11

Split....

£5.50 - Played 29, won 18, lost 11

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £29.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.98

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £252.85

REWARD POINTS = 155

BANKROLL at close of Play = £730.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,913
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 433

Won 257

Lost 176

Win-rate, November, 59.35%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.58
  • edited December 2013

Stats are weird things.

Monday -  P30, W 19, L 11. LOSS ON DAY £0.75

Tuesday - P30, W 19, L 11. PROFIT On DAY £29.50.

How strange is that? IDENTICAL game count, lost 15 bob one day, made nearly £30 the next.

Anyway, a good day I suppose, a profit of almost £1 per game played is as good as it's ever likely to get.

Good traffic @ the £5.50 Level, but only one @ £11 ran all day, & fortunately, I (just about) managed to win that one.

We are going along nicely now, around £250 of profit so far in December, & have almost £60 of Reward Money in the bank for January.

Doubt there'll be much traffic today, maybe a bit this evening, but as I don't celebrate Xmas, I'll be regged & waiting, if any other sad souls fancy a game.

I hope you all have a perfectly wonderful day, whatever you do.