You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Friday 13th December

Played 6

Won 4

Lost 2

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 6, won 4, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £6.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.00

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £130.85

REWARD POINTS = 30

BANKROLL at close of Play = £606.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,692

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 242

Won 140

Lost 102

Win-rate, November, 57.85%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.54
  • edited December 2013

There was a slight error in Thursday's numbers, I stated I made a £1 profit, but when I re-checked my opening/closing balance, it was only £0.50.

The overall numbers are now correct. Probably. Almost.

• edited December 2013

Another very short session yesterday, been a bit awkward the last 2 days. Unlikely to be any today, but a monsta-session is planed for tomorrow (Sunday) & back to normal next week.

You lot are so boring. This is not Hold Em, its Omaha, what is the matter with you?

"You lot" was myself, & two other players - one of whom was AWAY.

The accuser had half the chips in play, with a total of 4 players left - him, myself, "alexis", and an AWAY player.

Mr AWAY had been away throughout.

It was now Level 6 or 7, & he had been blinded down to about 3 Bigs by now. 

Effectively, all three of us - excluding Mr AWAY - were GUARANTEED to win.

So we were just folding everything, & generally the SB walks the BB in these situations. Why would they not?

There is just no need to go to war if we are GUARANTEED to win. The only danger is Mr AWAY returning at some point.

So we got a bit of mocking for a few orbits until Mr AWAY eventually & (almost) inevitably perished. 

You just have to take these comments with a pinch of the old salty stuff.

A good session overall, only 6 games, but a 4-2 game count will do very nicely, as I try to steady the ship after that bad day on Wednesday. Wednesday - I believe - was just variance, & I've been there as million times, we all have. It's remarkable, though, how it can affect an already fragile & flaky self-confidence.

One day I'm dreaming of going to Vegas with my winnings, the next I think I'm going skinto.

The human mind is an amazing thing. 

• edited December 2013
    Things can stay with you for a long time.
    One game, I was in a very similar situation to the one you've just described. As you say generally walks all round.
    Here's the twist. The large stack was SB to the away players Bb. He kept limping into tge away player and then open folding every flop. Followed by "ha ha, f you idiots" in the chatbox.
    Eventually,  I was forced all in and inevitably lost the hand much to the amusement of big stack.
    Online is indeed a strange place at times

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Ahh, excellent, we've added a word to the Sky Poker lexioconic (?) portfolio. rubdowned That is right up there with crushings Sorry to hear you got some chatbox grief Gelders. The world of Online is THE most peculiar of places. If it helps, we rarely see rubdownness when we LOSE a hand, only when we win, or do well. Losing with dignity, which was so important back in the day, appears to be out of fashion.   
    Posted by Tikay10

Don't worry, it doesn't upset me personally. It is just that as you've been kind enough to share some of your choice chat box experiences I thought this one was worthy of sharing with you.

And the funny thing this time is that it was after I had been knocked out. To paraphrase, I was told "the standard of your play was not up to scratch over the last half hour". I'm just lost at the motivation for saying it. Was it some direct but friendly advice to take some lessons. Or was he concerned I hadn't noticed how badly I was playing? Did he feel that once I had managed to get the chip lead I had squandered the opportunity and might not have known why? Or does he just get a kick of putting the boot in once the man is down? I was just shaking my head in disbelief.

• edited December 2013
    Things can stay with you for a long time. One game, I was in a very similar situation to the one you've just described. As you say generally walks all round. Here's the twist. The large stack was SB to the away players Bb. He kept limping into tge away player and then open folding every flop. Followed by "ha ha, f you idiots" in the chatbox. Eventually,  I was forced all in and inevitably lost the hand much to the amusement of big stack. Online is indeed a strange place at times
    Posted by Jac35[/
    QUOTE]

I geninely believe that if they want to do this, fine, it is their right, & we can have no valid objections. It's daft, but its their money, & they can play as they wish, & we have to adapt our tactics accordingly.

But to be mocked by them, when clearly they have not grasped the realities, does grate a tad, especially as it would be quite improper to reply.

The key in these things is that the understanding is unspoken, we can't go typing "everyone pass, someone is away", that would be quite wrong. A subtle nuance.

Quite an interesting situation really.

I almost shout at the screen sometimes, "PASS for goodness sake", lol. It just makes no sense! 

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Don't worry, it doesn't upset me personally. It is just that as you've been kind enough to share some of your choice chat box experiences I thought this one was worthy of sharing with you. And the funny thing this time is that it was after I had been knocked out. To paraphrase, I was told "the standard of your play was not up to scratch over the last half hour". I'm just lost at the motivation for saying it. Was it some direct but friendly advice to take some lessons. Or was he concerned I hadn't noticed how badly I was playing? Did he feel that once I had managed to get the chip lead I had squandered the opportunity and might not have known why? Or does he just get a kick of putting the boot in once the man is down? I was just shaking my head in disbelief.
    Posted by GELDY
    The internet empowers people, that's the reason.

"All human life is there" as that dreadful organ, now gladly departed, the News of the World, used to say.
  • edited December 2013

No games played yesterday.

Action resumes just after midday today, looking for a big session today, am hoping to get 30 games in.

Positive variance would be a welcome guest.

Maybe see a few of you later.
  • edited December 2013

Elsewhere on the Community, a player said they had played 2 NLH Tourneys & barely seen a pocket pair, or decent ace, in either of them. Proper card-dead.

To those who have not played the 4 card game before, you should give it a whirl - we get big hands galore!

I don't know the actual maths, but we get SIX 2 card hands every time we are dealt a hand, so we are FAR more likely to get a nice hand, though of course they do not carry as much value as big NL hands pre-flop.

I've never counted, & it would not mean much, but every night, if we play 8 or 10 PLO8 DYM's, we get dealt Aces at least 10 or 15 times. Two-a-penny almost.

Even A-A-K-K pops up occassionally, ooohhhh.

Go on, give the 4 card format a try, & brighten up your game.

Whilst I do not recommend it, you also get a LOT more playable hands in PLO8, I could name several players who have never seen a PLO8 hand they felt they could fold pre-flop. 

So better starting hands, more of them, & always something to go to war with.

Beware though, the game is full of boring old people.  
  • edited December 2013
    Elsewhere on the Community, a player said they had played 2 NLH Tourneys & barely seen a pocket pair, or decent ace, in either of them. Proper card-dead. To those who have not played the 4 card game before, you should give it a whirl - we get big hands galore! I don't know the actual maths, but we get SIX 2 card hands every time we are dealt a hand, so we are FAR more likely to get a nice hand, though of course they do not carry as much value as big NL hands pre-flop.   I've never counted, & it would not mean much, but every night, if we play 8 or 10 PLO8 DYM's, we get dealt Aces at least 10 or 15 times. Two-a-penny almost. Even A-A-K-K pops up occassionally, ooohhhh.   Go on, give the 4 card format a try, & brighten up your game.   Whilst I do not recommend it, you also get a LOT more playable hands in PLO8, I could name several players who have never seen a PLO8 hand they felt they could fold pre-flop.  So better starting hands, more of them, & always something to go to war with.   Beware though, the game is full of boring old people.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Speak for yourself !
    See you later
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Speak for yourself ! See you later
    Posted by VespaPX
    ;)

Traditionally, PLO & PLO8 are games played by "less young" players, and it is a format in which they excel, due to the myriad of subtle nuances.

A friend of mine earlier this week finished 1st & 2nd in one of the big Full Tilt PLO8 nightly tourneys on successive nights. He is 67.

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ;) Traditionally, PLO & PLO8 are games played by "less young" players, and it is a format in which they excel, due to the myriad of subtle nuances. A friend of mine earlier this week finished 1st & 2nd in one of the big Full Tilt PLO8 nightly tourneys on successive nights. He is 67.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Never knew Orford was that old!!
  • edited December 2013

I said "friend".

Shame he never left, rather than Hartigan.

• edited December 2013
    afternoon tikay.

will you be playing much omaha today, 

i tried a couple this week and done ok, dont know anything about hi/lo but picked up a little on plo.

i did enjoy it eventually when i relised that i must use 2 of my whole cards lol, not 1 and certinly not 3 :)

my look of confusion when i think i have a boat or a flush and im losing to straights lol but clicked soon enough.

miby bump into you as i might play a few today.

• edited December 2013
    Hi All
    Just want to quickly send to all fellow PLO8'ers my very best wishes for the festive season, tonight will be my last night at the tables for a couple of weeks (jetting off to the sun!!)

Keep up the good work with the thread Mr K

Anne (Mother)

PS Putz!! ;)
  • edited December 2013
    Elsewhere on the Community, a player said they had played 2 NLH Tourneys & barely seen a pocket pair, or decent ace, in either of them. Proper card-dead. To those who have not played the 4 card game before, you should give it a whirl - we get big hands galore! I don't know the actual maths, but we get SIX 2 card hands every time we are dealt a hand, so we are FAR more likely to get a nice hand, though of course they do not carry as much value as big NL hands pre-flop.   I've never counted, & it would not mean much, but every night, if we play 8 or 10 PLO8 DYM's, we get dealt Aces at least 10 or 15 times. Two-a-penny almost. Even A-A-K-K pops up occassionally, ooohhhh.   Go on, give the 4 card format a try, & brighten up your game.   Whilst I do not recommend it, you also get a LOT more playable hands in PLO8, I could name several players who have never seen a PLO8 hand they felt they could fold pre-flop.  So better starting hands, more of them, & always something to go to war with.   Beware though, the game is full of boring old people.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thats the crux of the game tho! Wayy too many big hands.  I've had quad Aces, Queens & sixes as my hole cards!  Binned the lott & it broke my heart!  ;-)
  • edited December 2013
    Hi All Just want to quickly send to all fellow PLO8'ers my very best wishes for the festive season, tonight will be my last night at the tables for a couple of weeks (jetting off to the sun!!) Keep up the good work with the thread Mr K Anne (Mother) PS Putz!! ;)
    Posted by Amarie
    Have a LOVELY holiday Mother, you'll be much missed.

PS - I expect my results will show a downswing now, who am I going to be able to steal blinds from now you are absent?
  • edited December 2013

Sunday 15th December

Played 28

Won 15

Lost 13

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

£5.50 - Played 23, won 13, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £2.75

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.10

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £128.10

REWARD POINTS = 158

BANKROLL at close of Play = £603.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,850

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 270

Won 155

Lost 115

Win-rate, November, 57.40%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.47
  • edited December 2013

Just about managed to win the game-count by 15-13, but incurred a £2.75 loss in doing so.

Considering I played a big session, 28 games, not the most impressive set of numbers, need to do a goodly bit better than that on big sessions.

I felt a bit ring-rusty, as I missed Saturday completely, & only played short sessions on Thurs & Friday, amazing how quickly the rhythm goes.

Made a dreadful error in one, when I failed to notice Ice-Tiger had potted it pre in front of me, & I potted it, with the fairly decent A-K-2-4. Had I realised that Ice had opened, I'd have binned my hand in a heartbeat, instead of re-potting it. Once Ice came back at me, I knew I was in a world of pain, but it was too late to fold then, & I needed to rely on some undeserved luck. None was forthcoming.

Got coolered in Level One of my very first game, too. Holding A-K-3-3, I rather liked the 9-9-3 flop, & merrily potted every street. Matey Boy happily called with his K-K-x-x, especially when a King turned. Whoops. Not my greatest play, to be honest, underhouses are always so vulnerable in Omaha. Tough to get off, sure, as I was holding the case King, but deffo getoffable.

Most satisfying game was when I lost half my stack in Level One to be a bit of an outdraw thing. 1,000 chips in Level One is plenty, no need to panic, so I just sat tight for an orbit or two, & noticed that the rest of the Table were playing super-loose & aggro. Inevitably, the 3 biggest stacks banged heads before Level One was out, & it was all over in Level Two, before I'd even played another hand! Happy days.

It really is a bit odd that many players pay no heed to the stack sizes of other players in a DYM. It's the very first thing I look at, before I enter any DYM Pot - do I need to be busy, are there any shorties about? 

If a few players are on fumes, I generally leave them to fight amongst themselves. 

Mr Angry made a welcome return to the Tables yesterday. He was very angry, too. Oooohhh. One comment by him had 27 exclamation marks. That's proper angry, that.

Earned a very pleasing 158 Reward Points in the Session, to take me to 2,850. The threshold for the 50% Bonus is 3,000 Points, so that should be fine, & will ensure a nice bonus in January.

All good then, but need to up my game a bit I think, I seem to have got a big bogged down.     

• edited December 2013

Love this thread, keep up the good work. Have you set a target as such or will you just keep going until you make enough for a trip to vegas?
       Will probably join you for a couple of games this week, may get on tonight if i bust the DTD early.
       Was hoping to play a bit over the weekend but had a run in with a Bull Mastiff on Saturday morning which didn't go too well. Left me with a nasty cut to my hand and a compound fracture of the 5th metacarpel in my left hand.
        Was kept in hospital as i needed to have surgery to clean the bone but fortunately was discharged in time to watch the might REDS thrash Spurs.

See you on the tables.
  • edited December 2013

Monday 16th December

Played 15

Won 10

Lost 5

Split....

£5.50 - Played 14, won 9, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £22.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.47

PROFIT/LOSS in December, £148.10

REWARD POINTS = 80

BANKROLL at close of Play = £625.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,930

• edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 285

Won 165

Lost 120

Win-rate, November, 57.89%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.52
  • edited December 2013
       Love this thread, keep up the good work. Have you set a target as such or will you just keep going until you make enough for a trip to vegas?    Will probably join you for a couple of games this week, may get on tonight if i bust the DTD early.    Was hoping to play a bit over the weekend but had a run in with a Bull Mastiff on Saturday morning which didn't go too well. Left me with a nasty cut to my hand and a compound fracture of the 5th metacarpel in my left hand.     Was kept in hospital as i needed to have surgery to clean the bone but fortunately was discharged in time to watch the might REDS thrash Spurs.   See you on the tables .
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Thanks Pommy, appreciate that.

Good to see you on the Tables tonight. Oooh, you are VERY aggro! Scared the life out of me.

Glad that little problem got solved - impeccable timing, too!

I've no real target, no, just keep playing as long as I am having the fun I am, ideally without losing my starting 'roll, & even ideallier (new word that) trying to make a bit more profit. It is SO relaxing, too, to lock the front door, turn off the forums & stuff, & just relax in my own little world, with no hassle. It's Heaven.  

Not so much here, on Sky Community, but if you frequent the "Big Boy" poker forums, they are pretty abusive & dismissive towards old people ("they can't play") & nits. Well I'm King Nit, & I see no reason to feel ashamed of that. Nits don't go busto anything like as much as lags. What is being a "nit" deemed so bad by the in-crowd? Get outa here. ;)

I'm prety chuffed, too, thsat I've helped rev up the PLO8 DYM's here. There was a lot of moaning & groaning before, "come on Sky sort it out, we want some PLO8 action", but I don't buy all that stuff, I believe in self-help. If I want something, I go try & make it happen instead of sitting there chuntering.

I'd really like to move across to PLO DYM's, just to prove that with a bit of effort, players DO have power to change things. Whether I will or not, I don't know - I'm having too much fun with the PLO8 ones at the moment!

We'll just have to see. In my personal experience, when there is a lovely clear blue sky, big dark clouds & a dirty great thunderstorm usually arrive.

I've ordered a new brolly.      
  • edited December 2013

Ohh, Pommy, forgot to ask - how is your hand now?

Broken metacarpel on your hand, ouch. Metacarpel, that's a toe, right?
  • edited December 2013
    Ohh, Pommy, forgot to ask - how is your hand now? Broken metacarpel on your hand, ouch. Metacarpel, that's a toe, right?
    Posted by Tikay10

LOL, the one in the foot is the metatarsal. Its ok, pain relief is keeping it under control. I have to see the hand specialist, must be a technical term but i am sure you will google it. on Thursday. 
      Got to say i was really impressed by the treatment i received in both Liverpool and Wigan hospitals. The NHS takes a lot of stick but credit where it is due. Was also  equally impressed by the police woman who spent 2.5 hours in casualty with me and then gave me a lift back to my car, then telephoned me today to enqire  how things went at Wigan hospital. Lovely girl.

I am waffling now, on the tables i managed a very impressive(for me) 4/4.
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :   L OL, the one in the foot is the metatarsal. Its ok, pain relief is keeping it under control. I have to see the hand specialist, must be a technical term but i am sure you will google it. on Thursday.    Got to say i was really impressed by the treatment i received in both Liverpool and Wigan hospitals. The NHS takes a lot of stick but credit where it is due. Was also  equally impressed by the police woman who spent 2.5 hours in casualty with me and then gave me a lift back to my car, then telephoned me today to enqire  how things went at Wigan hospital. Lovely girl.  I am waffling now, on the tables i managed a very impressive(for me) 4/4.
    Posted by pomfrittes[/
    QUOTE]

Pleased to hear some praise for the NHS Pommy. It must be awful for NHS staff to be so frequently mocked & complained about, when the truth is, almost all of them do a tremendous job. Many countries don't even have a NHS, & yet here in the UK, we barely hear a good word about it. They are a soft target for the knocking brigade, who are, sadly, prevalent these days.  

Customer Care Staff, here at Sky Poker & in fact at ANY business all get verbally bashed up regularly, too, which is a dreadful indictment on society. They don't exactly get paid a fortune, & get angry folks shouting at them all day long. They are given generic answers to reply to most questions, so it's hardly the fault of the staff. They are not even permitted to defend themselves against the constant bellyaching, either. What a tough gig they have.  

4/4, wowzer, well played! I did notice your game had changed considerably since we last shared Tables. I'll not give the game away, but you were doing one thing in particular VERY differently to almost everyone else, & that is why your results will improve considerably. Keep doing it!

• edited December 2013

Tuesday 17th December

Played 15

Won 12

Lost 3

Split....

£5.50 - Played 11, won 9, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 4, won 3, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £45.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £3.03