You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited December 2013

Short session last night, as I had company, but I rattled throgh 16 games in around 2 hours.

No £11 games ran, so it was £5.50 all the way, woo-woo.

First 2 games I was controlling the table like a champ, plenty of chips, good discipline, & bossing them. I lost both, lol.

In both cases, the same opponent bought about my downfall.

He's a regular, & a fearsome opponent, so I'm always wary of him. He plays the exact polar opposite of me. I play very few hands, sometimes just 3 or 4, rarely more than 8 or 9, per DYM. He plays, literally, EVERY hand. Limps in, someone raises, Call, da de da. Each to their own, 100 ways to skin a dog.

Anyway, in both cases, he & I had 75% of the chips. 

I find the Aces, & almost fold them, but decided to play them, & pot it. He flats me, gets there, & I do my stack. Both times.

The weird thing is that one of the shorties had less than 2 bigs on both occasions.

Now I don't know about you, but in those spots, I'm not taking on a Big Stack, I'm coasting to the win.

Shame I never heeded my own logic. 

Sure, we can blame him, it makes no sense for him to battle with me. But I know his game, so it was pretty dumb of me to play those two hands really. I KNOW he never folds, so why did I get involved?

Anyway, another lesson learned, which is good. Keep improving these little details, & I have to get better. Probably.   

• edited December 2013

Slight change of plan tonight, as I'm playing two UKOPS Tourneys, & doing Skype-ins - like that expression? - every hour.

So I may be able to play a handful of PLO8 DYM's alongside the UKOPS stuff, but I do find it hard to juggle the two disciplines at the same time, especially with the Skype things every hour, which need a bit of prepping & concentration.

I played the Super Roller last Sunday, same deal, & made a complete idiot of myself, & got roundly mocked by the 861 Presenter & Analyst, especially that damn Oxford chap. And tonight I'm playing BOUNTY HUNTERS, & I don't recall taking a Head Prize in a BH since about 2008.

Ah well, into each day, some good, some bad. c'est la vie as the Spanish say.  

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Thursday 26th December Played 16 Won 10 Lost 6 Split.... £2.25 - Played 0, won 9, Lost 0 £5.50 - Played 16, won 10, lost 6 £11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £12.00 PROFIT/ LOSS per game £0.75 REWARD POINTS = 80 BANKROLL at close of Play = £757.56 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 4,150 (= £62.25)
    Posted by Tikay10

Now that is impressive ROI. Playing none and yet still managing to win 9 of them
  • edited December 2013
    I noticed that on here you're Tikay10, but on the telly you're Tikay1.

Would the real Tikay please stand up!? (please stand up, please stand up)
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :  Now that is impressive ROI. Playing none and yet still managing to win 9 of them
    Posted by Talon[
    /QUOTE]

Whoops.

Edited now, sorry.

Just making sure you were paying attention.
  • edited December 2013
    I noticed that on here you're Tikay10, but on the telly you're Tikay1. Would the real Tikay please stand up!? (please stand up, please stand up)
    Posted by PokerNoon

• edited December 2013

Friday 27th December

Played 7

Won 4

Lost 3

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 6, won 4, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £4.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.57

REWARD POINTS = 40

BANKROLL at close of Play = £753.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 4,295 (= £64.42)
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 485

Won 288

Lost 197

Win-rate, November, 59.38%

Profit/LOSS per game =
    £0.59

PROFIT
    /LOSS in December,
    £286.41
  • edited December 2013

Sunday 29th December

Played 41

Won 26

Lost 15

Split....

£2.25 - Played 9, won 6, Lost 3

£5.50 - Played 26, won 14, lost 12

£11.00 - Played 6, won 4, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £16.43

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.40

REWARD POINTS = 217

BANKROLL at close of Play = £770.19

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 4,512 (= £67.78)
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 526

Won 314

Lost 212

Win-rate, November, 59.38%

Profit/LOSS per game =
    £0.60

PROFIT
    /LOSS in December,
    £302.84
  • edited December 2013
    December to date.... Played 526 Won 314 Lost 212 Win-rate, November, 59.38% Profit / LOSS per game = £0.60 PROFIT / LOSS in December, £302.84
    Posted by Tikay10

hi tikay,

how many games do u play a day and how many tables at a time, i know its PLO u play, is it dym's or cash?

ive only played a few games of omaha but find ive done quite well at very low stakes tho, entered a tournament and felt i done well, my only problem to begin with is what sort of hands are good pre- (high pairs) (suited conectors)??  took me w hile to get the just of the basics but gettin there. 
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : hi tikay, how many games do u play a day and how many tables at a time, i know its PLO u play, is it dym's or cash? ive only played a few games of omaha but find ive done quite well at very low stakes tho, entered a tournament and felt i done well, my only problem to begin with is what sort of hands are good pre- (high pairs) (suited conectors)??  took me w hile to get the just of the basics but gettin there. 
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Hi Chris.

How many games per day? It varies, depending on my workload & availability. I try & play between 20 & 30 most evenings.

How many at a time? Usually no more than 4 or 5, I guess 3 or 4 on average. It is a factor of liquidity - I Register for every £5.50 & £11 that runs during my sessions, so if 5 run at once, I play 5, if 3, then 3.

I am playing exclusively PLO8 DYM's @ present.

What starting hands should you play in PLO?

Well we all play differently, but personally, I'd not play "high pairs" or suited connectors really. High pairs are essentially "one pair" hands, & 1 pair hands are rarely favourites if we are against more than one opponent. "Bad" Kings, for example, need to go in the muck pre, even Bad Aces should be mucked UNLESS you can get it heads up.

By "bad" (Kings or Aces) I mean Kings or Aces with no back-up or extensions/improvers. A-A-9-4, (4 suited), is NOT a hand to go to war with multi-way, you must learn to bin these pre in most cases. It has no improvers except hitting a set, so we are on a two-outer really.

Suited connecters, as such, are not much cop either, unless they are "nut suited" (A-K), but the straight part of A-K can only improve at one end, not both ends. UNsuited connectors are fine, as long as we only draw to the nut end. With middling suited connectors, we are NEVER drawing to the nut flush.

Omaha is largely a game of BIG cards - paint. We can play rundowns of course (7-8-9-10 sort of thing) but ONLY draw to the top end of the potential straight in these - if you are drawing to the bottom end (flop, say, J-Q-x) then THROW THEM AWAY.

Really, (imo), the key to Omaha is hands that work together.

So we want rundowns, suited aces, that sort of thing. If Matey Boy showed me his bad aces pre-flop & I had, say, 9-10-J-Q double suited, I would take a flop 100% of the time. If I hit the flop HARD, we go to war, if I miss the flop, or hit the wrong end, bin the hand.

If you are a NLH player, where hands like A-K, A-Q, Q-Q & J-J are enough to get it all-in, forget all that, you need a completely different range of starting hands in PLO.

I hope you enjoy it, & if you have any more questions, fire away. PLO & PLO8 are truly beautiful games, but you do need to think a bit, & apply a bit of nous.

Good luck.   

• edited December 2013

Had a monster session yesterday, & was around £40 ahead almost all day - then ran into turbulence (mostly poor decisions on my part) in late trading, & lost 6 of 7 between Games 31 & 37 to pull my numbers back to less exciting returns.

Still, a decent day overall, on most of my KPI's - won the Game Count 26-15, made a small profit to get me over £300 profit in December, the Profit Per Game figure is steady @ £0.60, & I netted a monster bag of Reward Points. 

I'm tantalisingly close to 5,000 Reward Points in December, but I can't play a full session today as I'm doing some other stuff tonight, shame really, I'd get a "free" £25 if I could have reached 5,000 points. Never mind, no need to be greedy, & my Reward momey will still be north of £70. 

Lots of £5.50 games ran yesterday, & loads of new players appearing almost daily. All good.  
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Tikay

Remember this hand we both butchered?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    yamyamarmy Small blind   10.00 10.00 2010.00
    vagasbin Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

VespaPX Call   20.00 50.00 1980.00
    alexis74 Fold        
    tikay1 Call   20.00 70.00 1980.00
    mowgli11 Fold        
    yamyamarmy Call   10.00 80.00 2000.00
    vagasbin Check        
    Flop

yamyamarmy Check        
    vagasbin Check        
    VespaPX Check        
    tikay1 Bet   80.00 160.00 1900.00
    yamyamarmy Call   80.00 240.00 1920.00
    vagasbin Fold        
    VespaPX Call   80.00 320.00 1900.00
    Turn

yamyamarmy Bet   320.00 640.00 1600.00
    VespaPX Call   320.00 960.00 1580.00
    tikay1 Call   320.00 1280.00 1580.00
    River

yamyamarmy Check        
    VespaPX Check        
    tikay1 Bet   1280.00 2560.00 300.00
    yamyamarmy Call   1280.00 3840.00 320.00
    VespaPX Call   1280.00 5120.00 300.00
    tikay1 Show
    • A

yamyamarmy Show
    • A

VespaPX Show
    • K
    • A

yamyamarmy Win high Flush to the Ace 2560.00   2880.00
    VespaPX Win low 5-low 1280.00   1580.00
    tikay1 Win low 5-low 1280.00   1580.00
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Chris. How many games per day? It varies, depending on my workload & availability. I try & play between 20 & 30 most evenings.   How many at a time? Usually no more than 4 or 5, I guess 3 or 4 on average. It is a factor of liquidity - I Register for every £5.50 & £11 that runs during my sessions, so if 5 run at once, I play 5, if 3, then 3. I am playing exclusively PLO8 DYM's @ present.   What starting hands should you play in PLO? Well we all play differently, but personally, I'd not play "high pairs" or suited connectors really. High pairs are essentially "one pair" hands, & 1 pair hands are rarely favourites if we are against more than one opponent. "Bad" Kings, for example, need to go in the muck pre, even Bad Aces should be mucked UNLESS you can get it heads up. By "bad" (Kings or Aces) I mean Kings or Aces with no back-up or extensions/improvers. A-A-9-4, (4 suited), is NOT a hand to go to war with multi-way, you must learn to bin these pre in most cases. It has no improvers except hitting a set, so we are on a two-outer really.   Suited connecters, as such, are not much cop either, unless they are "nut suited" (A-K), but the straight part of A-K can only improve at one end, not both ends. UNsuited connectors are fine, as long as we only draw to the nut end. With middling suited connectors, we are NEVER drawing to the nut flush.   Omaha is largely a game of BIG cards - paint. We can play rundowns of course (7-8-9-10 sort of thing) but ONLY draw to the top end of the potential straight in these - if you are drawing to the bottom end (flop, say, J-Q-x) then THROW THEM AWAY.   Really, (imo), the key to Omaha is hands that work together . So we want rundowns, suited aces, that sort of thing. If Matey Boy showed me his bad aces pre-flop & I had, say, 9-10-J-Q double suited, I would take a flop 100% of the time. If I hit the flop HARD, we go to war, if I miss the flop, or hit the wrong end, bin the hand.   If you are a NLH player, where hands like A-K, A-Q, Q-Q & J-J are enough to get it all-in, forget all that, you need a completely different range of starting hands in PLO.   I hope you enjoy it, & if you have any more questions, fire away. PLO & PLO8 are truly beautiful games, but you do need to think a bit, & apply a bit of nous .   Good luck.         
    Posted by Tikay10
    thanks for the advice,

i plan on playing more of these games and try too learn moire about the game, 

i have not played plo8 yet but watched a couple of videos to see the basics miby reg for one and see what i learn as i go. 

i have enjoyed playing the games just wasnt too sure what my starting range should ne and the difffrences from hold'em, 
    was a few times at the start thought i was solid until i relised u can only use two of your whole cards :)

after that tho things where going a lot smoother. 
  • edited December 2013
    just another quick one sorry,

in plo8.

if i have say,         

me - A547 HEARTS             opponent has - Kc Kd 10h Jc 

FLOP    2D 3D  Kh      TURN Ks     RIVER 6d

would this be split on the pot,    me with the straight (low).     and opponent with quads  (high)

sorry to be a pain on your thread lol
  • edited December 2013
    Hi Tikay Remember this hand we both butchered? Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance yamyamarmy Small blind   10.00 10.00 2010.00 vagasbin Big blind   20.00 30.00 1980.00   Your hole cards 10 K 2 A       VespaPX Call   20.00 50.00 1980.00 alexis74 Fold         tikay1 Call   20.00 70.00 1980.00 mowgli11 Fold         yamyamarmy Call   10.00 80.00 2000.00 vagasbin Check         Flop     7 5 4       yamyamarmy Check         vagasbin Check         VespaPX Check         tikay1 Bet   80.00 160.00 1900.00 yamyamarmy Call   80.00 240.00 1920.00 vagasbin Fold         VespaPX Call   80.00 320.00 1900.00 Turn     3       yamyamarmy Bet   320.00 640.00 1600.00 VespaPX Call   320.00 960.00 1580.00 tikay1 Call   320.00 1280.00 1580.00 River     3       yamyamarmy Check         VespaPX Check         tikay1 Bet   1280.00 2560.00 300.00 yamyamarmy Call   1280.00 3840.00 320.00 VespaPX Call   1280.00 5120.00 300.00 tikay1 Show 6 A 2 6       yamyamarmy Show A 10 8 10       VespaPX Show 10 K 2 A       yamyamarmy Win high Flush to the Ace 2560.00   2880.00 VespaPX Win low 5-low 1280.00   1580.00 tikay1 Win low 5-low 1280.00   1580.00
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha!

Vividly. Was a shocking play on my part, a moment of madness, & it made me cross for hours afterwards. Rookie mistake, really was, & I got proper suckered & punished for my error.

I must add - & I said as much in the chat box - that Yammy played it beautifully, & cleverly extracted the Max. I should have called, yes, but re-potting the river, thinking I could apply enough pressure to force a fold from any flush by repping the Boat was pretty dumb. In fairness, I COULD have had the boat, & many players might fold there, but in High-low, with plenty of probable lows in the hand, it was not a good play.

I watched you play an earlier DYM, & if I may say so, I thought you were foot-perfect, you played really (technically) good PLO8, & I never saw you make a single error. You barely played any hands, in fact, just fold fold fold, but NO LIMPING or calling at all - brilliant. You must be the most improved PLO8 DYM player on here right now. We earn our profit in these from those who LIMP or Call too much. 

It was the one you exited somewhat unfortunately, you had good Kings (K-K with a great back-up low, 3-4 I think) but you ran smack into Aces with a good low, & lost the lot. Given the stack sizes & Blinds, I think you had to go broke there. But if we keep making the right decisions, we will win more than we lose, & it is a numbers game - the more of them you play, the more you'll win, as quantity dilutes variance.   
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Vividly. Was a shocking play on my part, a moment of madness, & it made me cross for hours afterwards. Rookie mistake, really was, & I got proper suckered & punished for my error.   I must add - & I said as much in the chat box - that Yammy played it beautifully, & cleverly extracted the Max. I should have called, yes, but re-potting the river, thinking I could apply enough pressure to force a fold from any flush by repping the Boat was pretty dumb. In fairness, I COULD have had the boat, & many players might fold there, but in High-low, with plenty of probable lows in the hand, it was not a good play.   I watched you play an earlier DYM, & if I may say so, I thought you were foot-perfect, you played really (technically) good PLO8, & I never saw you make a single error. You barely played any hands, in fact, just fold fold fold, but NO LIMPING or calling at all - brilliant. You must be the most improved PLO8 DYM player on here right now. We earn our profit in these from those who LIMP or Call too much.    It was the one you exited somewhat unfortunately, you had good Kings (K-K with a great back-up low, 3-4 I think) but you ran smack into Aces with a good low, & lost the lot. Given the stack sizes & Blinds, I think you had to go broke there. But if we keep making the right decisions, we will win more than we lose, & it is a numbers game - the more of them you play, the more you'll win, as quantity dilutes variance.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thank you very much for the vote of confidence.
    Like you i still make the odd "rookie" error, but striving to iron them out of my game.
    I remember the KK34 hand well, but such is the game you will run into better hands on occasion.
    I've just passed my 2nd anniversary playing on Sky (or anywhere for that matter).
    Spent the first 18 months playing Holdem DYM's but was getting quite bored , then i discovered PLO8.
    It has changed my whole outlook on Poker.
    My BR is at its highest point to date and still haven't deposited anymore.
    Happy Days
    Long may it continue.
    GL at the tables.
    Mick
  • edited December 2013
    just another quick one sorry, in plo8.  if i have say,                me - A547 HEARTS             opponent has - Kc Kd 10h Jc                        FLOP    2D 3D  Kh      TURN Ks     RIVER 6d would this be split on the pot,    me with the straight (low).     and opponent with quads  (high) sorry to be a pain on your thread lol
    Posted by Chris_Mc

You are both right and wrong here.

He has the Hi pot with quads. And You have the Lo pot bot with  A 2 3 4 6. Which on this board would be the nut Lo. The straight does not play except as a potential for the Hi.

The Lo pot is the 2 lowest card in your hand that are not contained on the board which in this case is A 4
  • edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :  You are both right and wrong here.  He has the Hi pot with quads. And You have the Lo pot bot with  A 2 3 4 6. Which on this board would be the nut Lo. The straight does not play except as a potential for the Hi.   The Lo pot is the 2 lowest card in your hand that are not contained on the board which in this case is A 4
    Posted by Talon

a little confused,

would my two low card not be 4.5 for 2 3 4 5 6 
  • edited December 2013
     The ace as we all know is both a high and a low card.

So an ace is always the lowest card.

The way you read a Lo is similar to a flush. You start from the highest card and work downwards

So for example   6 5 4 3 2 against
                              6 4 3 2 A.

We can see the second card in the second hand is lower and therefore this is a better Lo hand. Suits and straights are irrelevant here. Just the lowest possible 5 card combination
  • edited December 2013

The way to look at it is to divide your aims into 3 parts and they are in this order.

1) Win the Hi. (there is always a Hi hand but not always a Lo)
     2) WIn both Hi and Lo pots.
     3) Win the Lo

Do not play hands that are just basically cards that draw to the Lo only. At best all you can get is your chips back. Hi is the way to go always
  • edited December 2013
      The way to look at it is to divide your aims into 3 parts and they are in this order.  1) Win the Hi. (there is always a Hi hand but not always a Lo)  2) WIn both Hi and Lo pots.  3) Win the Lo   Do not play hands that are just basically cards that draw to the Lo only. At best all you can get is your chips back. Hi is the way to go always
    Posted by Talon

my head hurts :( lol

gonna go reg for a game just now and give it a go,
  • edited December 2013

Monday 30th December

Played 27

Won 19

Lost 8

Split....

£2.25 - Played 2, won 2, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 16, won 10, lost 6

£11.00 - Played 9, won 7, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £56.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £2.09

REWARD POINTS = 176

BANKROLL at close of Play = £826.69

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 4,793 (= £71.89)
  • edited December 2013

December to date....

Played 489

Won 293

Lost 196

Win-rate, November, 59.91%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.62

PROFIT
    /LOSS in December, £359.34

• edited December 2013

Strange day yesterday. Once again, I played two UKOPS Events, with my bustout hands shown on the Channel, & once again, I did a disastrous FAIL. I had good chips in the Main, but did most of them in a bad spot with A-K (one diamond) on a 3 diamond low flop, but I'd been called by 8-10 of Diamonds, & I never improved. Needless stack off, really.

Playing those meant I played less PLO8 DYM's, but in those, I had just about my best day ever. The message is clear - it's time I stopped playing NLH MTT's.

Anyway, the DYM's went wonderfully, in just about every way. I began well, winning 10 of the first 11, & though I came off the top a bit, the results were still very good. Won the Game Count 19-8, & crucially, 7 of the 9 I played @ £11. The Profit per game on the day was over £2, & for the month, the average profit per game is now £0.62. 

I had hoped to win 60% if my games in December, but with one day to go, I am a nadge shy of 60%, @ 59.91%.

Melty joined us for a game or two, & even the aged JAKALLY played one, though I believe he was asleep throughout. He still busted everyone though. Meanwhile, in the game he was in, I played exactly ONE hand. And I cashed. Happy days. 

Been a good month, just need to avoid a silly day today now.

Not sure how much traffic there will be today, what with NYE & everything. Shame really, as I'mn going to fall just short of 5,000 points, which would be worth an additional £25 to me. If I get close to 5,000, I may have to sit in a £50 or £100 NLH DYM. Oh, wait, I'm useless at NLH.....

Interesting maths sum there, though, if I played a £50 NLH DYM & it took me over the 5,000 threshold & thus a bonus £25. Presumably it would be deemed +Ev to do so, I'm not sure.   

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : my head hurts :( lol gonna go reg for a game just now and give it a go,
    Posted by Chris_Mc
    Hi Chris,

I watched you closely yesterday, but did not want to say too much in the chat Box, other players get uppity, "no coaching", & it may have appeared rude.

A few points.

1) This is PLO8, not PLO, you need to adjust your starting hand criteria. Early doors, you opened with (something like) Q-Q-J-K. This is a nice PLO hand, but at that stage, with Blinds small, not a hand I'd play in PLO8. Really, we want TWO WAY hands. We might be playing the paint pair, but if we have A-low with it, it gives us some insurance at the bottom end. So, Q-Q-A-4 is MUCH better than Q-Q-J-K, as we are now playing both ends. If someone spikes a K or A, we still have the Low in play.

2) You doubled up early. From that stage, you DID NOT NEED TO GET INVOLVED. Look around the Table all the time, at stack sizes & player tendancies. There was a guy in that game, 4 handed, who had TWO Big Blinds @ 200-400. And he limped in a hand on the Button. It was checked down, & his hand was shown - it was 9-9-9-7. That is a catasatrophic play, that is not a PLO8 hand, it is a bag of rusty spanners. The point being, if you have a big stack, & you see play like that, you can be pretty sure they will bust out, so there is no point in you getting involved with other big stacks. We do NOT have to win hands to win these things, sometimes we can let other players do the work, & bust themselves.

3) An Ace is a powerful card in all poker formats, but ESPECIALLY so in PLO8. The Ace plays both ends, so really, I almost never go to war without an Ace in my hand. OK, 4 handed @ the shove stage, I may be shoving without an Ace, but before then, I ALWAYs want an Ace in my hand. Even K-K becomes much more playable if I have A-4 or similar with them, as that Ace is an insurance policy against our Kings getting busted. Early doors I will throw K-K-7-9 in the muck, pre, not invest a chip, but K-K-2-3 or K-K-A-4 I'll play. In fact, K-K-2-3 is a BEAUTIFUIL hand, as the Ace Insurance works perfectly.  

4) When we rach the shove stage, 4 handed, try & find two-way hands. We cant wait for hands that contain an Ace, but hands like K-J-2-5 are just fine.

5) You do NOT need to play many hands, or even make up the Small Blind. Conserve your chips until you are 4 handed, you have more muscle to shove with then. I rarely play any hands at all before we are 4 handed, & I ONLY play A-A type hands until then, too. Most players play far too many hands in these. It is not about "chip-getting" it is about chip conservation. By conserving my stack, I give myself a healthy shoving stack 4 handed.

6) When 4 handed, ALWAYS try to be first to act when shoving. This gives us 2 ways to win - they all pass (perfect) or our hand holds. A hand such as A-K-2-5 is a lovely shoving hand when 4 left, & Blinds big, BUT......if someone opens in front of us, we can now consider passing it, as we only have one way to win. Two ways beats one way, all day long.

These are just my personal opinions, & I doubt they coincide with the Coaching Videos or the lads in Team Swinging Appendage, but they work for me.

Good luck      

• edited December 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Chris, I watched you closely yesterday, but did not want to say too much in the chat Box, other players get uppity, "no coaching", & it may have appeared rude. A few points. 1) This is PLO8, not PLO, you need to adjust your starting hand criteria. Early doors, you opened with (something like) Q-Q-J-K. This is a nice PLO hand, but at that stage, with Blinds small, not a hand I'd play in PLO8. Really, we want TWO WAY hands. We might be playing the paint pair, but if we have A-low with it, it gives us some insurance at the bottom end. So, Q-Q-A-4 is MUCH better than Q-Q-J-K, as we are now playing both ends. If someone spikes a K or A, we still have the Low in play. 2) You doubled up early. From that stage, you DID NOT NEED TO GET INVOLVED. Look around the Table all the time, at stack sizes & player tendancies. There was a guy in that game, 4 handed, who had TWO Big Blinds @ 200-400. And he limped in a hand on the Button. It was checked down, & his hand was shown - it was 9-9-9-7. That is a catasatrophic play, that is not a PLO8 hand, it is a bag of rusty spanners. The point being, if you have a big stack, & you see play like that, you can be pretty sure they will bust out, so there is no point in you getting involved with other big stacks. We do NOT have to win hands to win these things, sometimes we can let other players do the work, & bust themselves. 3) An Ace is a powerful card in all poker formats, but ESPECIALLY so in PLO8. The Ace plays both ends, so really, I almost never go to war without an Ace in my hand. OK, 4 handed @ the shove stage, I may be shoving without an Ace, but before then, I ALWAYs want an Ace in my hand. Even K-K becomes much more playable if I have A-4 or similar with them, as that Ace is an insurance policy against our Kings getting busted. Early doors I will throw K-K-7-9 in the muck, pre, not invest a chip, but K-K-2-3 or K-K-A-4 I'll play. In fact, K-K-2-3 is a BEAUTIFUIL hand, as the Ace Insurance works perfectly.   4) When we rach the shove stage, 4 handed, try & find two-way hands. We cant wait for hands that contain an Ace, but hands like K-J-2-5 are just fine.   5) You do NOT need to play many hands, or even make up the Small Blind. Conserve your chips until you are 4 handed, you have more muscle to shove with then. I rarely play any hands at all before we are 4 handed, & I ONLY play A-A type hands until then, too. Most players play far too many hands in these. It is not about "chip-getting" it is about chip conservation. By conserving my stack, I give myself a healthy shoving stack 4 handed. 6) When 4 handed, ALWAYS try to be first to act when shoving. This gives us 2 ways to win - they all pass (perfect) or our hand holds. A hand such as A-K-2-5 is a lovely shoving hand when 4 left, & Blinds big, BUT......if someone opens in front of us, we can now consider passing it, as we only have one way to win. Two ways beats one way, all day long.   These are just my personal opinions, & I doubt they coincide with the Coaching Videos or the lads in Team Swinging Appendage, but they work for me.   Good luck        
    Posted by Tikay10

cheers tikay, 

thanks for taking the time too write all that lol, 
    will help me i think,  miby play another one or two games today although i was confused for the most part i really enjoyed the game.

• edited January 2014

Tuesday 31st December

Played 40

Won 25

Lost 15

Split....

£2.25 - Played 5, won 2, Lost 3

£5.50 - Played 30, won 20, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £29.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.73

REWARD POINTS = 213

BANKROLL at close of Play = £855.69

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 5,006 (= £100.12)
  • edited January 2014

December final totals....

Played 529

Won 318

Lost 211

Win-rate, November, 60.11%

Profit/Loss per game =
    £0.73

PROFIT
    /LOSS in December,
    £387.34