You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    "FENTON!!! OY FENTON"   Quality chatbox last nite!  Best £5:50 I've spent in a while lolz
    Posted by Glenelg
    It was so much fun, eh?

Dan.

Dan.

DAN

DANNNNNN

DANNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

PS - I wuv you.
  • edited January 2014
    I have a new term i use when note taking ............ "Mechanic"
    Always turns up with a bag of spanners.
  • edited January 2014
    I have a new term i use when note taking ............ "Mechanic" Always turns up with a bag of spanners.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ahh, that is another story I really need to tell. Tomorrow, maybe. I did laugh when you mentioned spanners, after we got the lot in pre & my man turned up with 9-9-8-3. And beat me, obv. ;)

I spent THREE whole DYM's trying to get him to pass a single hand pre-flop. FAIL.

It'd be 10-20. Limp limp, then I raise. Call.

Someone between us now re-raises. I re-re-raise. Call.

So he has a hand worth limping for 20 chips, which is also worth calling for his entire stack. Think he beat me 4 games in 5, too. 

What a great game PLO8 is!  
  • edited January 2014

Monday 6th January

Played 11

Won 6

Lost 5

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 6, won 2, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £6.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.59

REWARD POINTS = 85

BANKROLL at close of Play = £843.69

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,011 (= £10.11)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 146

Won 76

Lost 70

Win-rate, November, 52.05%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £11.80

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.08
  • edited January 2014

Well I turned a profit yesterday, albeit a small one, though in profit per game, £0.59 is OK, but my January Batting Averages are wayyyyyy behind forecast, & I'll struggle to catch up now.

Only a short session again, somehow I was not "feeling it". Bit low on confidence at the moment, I think.

Bit of run-bad, but not a great deal, but I ran so good in December, so I guess it is just levelling out.

I was really trying last night, but could not make things happen. I was getting it in good, with hands like A-K-2-3 & getting looked up by dominated hands such as A-J-3-4. We ought to win at least one end of these babies, but I kept losing the lot. Guess I'm due for some of that.

I put a horrible beat on my good (virtual) friend Alexis. He is a guy who absolutely understands ranges, & he knows I do, too. When he bets, I generally fold, & vice-versa. Unless we are both short, we rarely clash in a hand, as we understand each others ranges so well. We both know what a good hand is, too, & neither of us hardly ever call.

Anyway, he Raised, & I had A-K-2-6 DS, & absent-mindedly re-potted, without realising he had opened. The moment he re-shoved, I knew I was in trouble, & I would need to hit my low. He only re-shoves with a High, or High-Low hand, never a Low only hand.

He had the Aces of course, & it came all paint. Including 10-J-Q, so I binked the straight.

He has been on a real bad run lately, & I felt pretty bad about it afterwards, but these things happen I suppose, & we are all big boys.

There was some nasty chat later, when a brand new player sat in, & promptly announced that he was a NLH player & had accidentally entered a PLO8 game. And it was soon obvious that he had no PLO8 technical skills, though he did understand pot odds & position.

Anyway, such is life, he won hand after hand, bit lucky at times, but nobody begrudges luck to others, do they?

So Mr Experienced got a bit narky with Mr Newbie, after a bit of a suckout.

Mr Newbie - not rude at all - delivered a smart alec reply, & soon it all kicked off. And, well you can see it coming, Mr Newbie busted Mr Experienced, inevitably, then it got really nasty. 

Think he desribed him as a ******* ***** **** ******* **** ******* ****** *** chap. 

To which Mr Newbie replied "ooh, I'm flattered, thank you".

It was both amusing, & really rather sad. If Mr Newbie was not so resilient, it is the sort of exchange which can put newbies off for life. Experienced poker players really should understand, if they don't make neew players welcome, there'll be no tomorrow.

Am, going to try & get back in the groove tonight, I've felt oddly out of it the last few days. My targeted 60% of Games won is looking very optimistic right now. Time to man up.   

• edited January 2014
    When the chips are down, bring out the mayo !

That my expression

I hope it helps with your conquest
  • edited January 2014
    Ooh, I forgot to mention, whilst playing my PLO8 stuff last night, I also played the Winter Wonderland Freeroll thing. Me & about 2,000 others. You'll probably be aware I'm not playing NLH so good these days, & mix that up with lack of confidence & a bit of run-bad & it all makes it rather uphill & into the wind.   Anyway, I had a decent table, but the kids were bashing me up a bit, I'd 3 bet & they'd 4 bet, that sorta thing. No worries, eventually I'll make a stand.   I still had plenty of Blinds, maybe 20, or 25, and I raised it up with 7-7, but the lad who had been bashing me up all night re-raised me AGAIN. Well I thought, enough is enough, I gotta draw a line in the sand eventually, lets do it, we are probably flipping at worst.  I re-raise all-in, & he snaps me off.   What shape am I in? I have 7-7, he has............6-6! Happy Days, see, I CAN play NLH, I don't care what they say, I'm a playa. i wont million.   Shame he rivered the 6 though.  Next case.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    EDIT think it was a different tournament

i finished 3rd out of 1800 in it tikay not bad for a hi/lo player :@)
    had a great chance of taking it down only the 3 of us left and had half the chips. but there was a player who was raising every hand so made a stand and shoved my jts and she replies with kk oops :@(went down hill after that but still a nice wee freebie

gl
  • edited January 2014
    When the chips are down, bring out the mayo ! That my expression I hope it helps with your conquest
    Posted by alex1229
    Ahh, thank you.

Not sure I'd describe it as a "conquest", more of a gentle ascent, with frequent descents thrown in.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : EDIT think it was a different tournament i finished 3rd out of 1800 in it tikay not bad for a hi/lo player :@) had a great chance of taking it down only the 3 of us left and had half the chips. but there was a player who was raising every hand so made a stand and shoved my jts and she replies with kk oops :@(went down hill after that but still a nice wee freebie gl
    Posted by churchy18
    BOOM, very well done Churchy.

I shared a table or two with you last night, & you seemed in fine form, hope you finished in profit for the session.
  • edited January 2014

Tuesday 7th January

Played 17

Won 11

Lost 6

Split....

£5.50 - Played 12, won 7, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £129.12 (£29.00 excluding December Reward Payment)

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £7.59 (£1.70 per game excluding December Reward Payment)

REWARD POINTS = 110

BANKROLL at close of Play = £972.81

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,121 (= £11.21)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 163

Won 87

Lost 76

Win-rate, November, 53.37%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £117.32

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.71
  • edited January 2014

Well for starters, yesterday's numbers were grotesquesly distorted - nicely grotequely - by receipt of my December Reward Points payment - £100-12, ooh! To put that in context, my starting 'roll was £200, so £100 in Reward points in a month is pretty nice to see. Whilst it distorts the DAILY numbers, it makes very little odds over a month, or longer, so I'm not too fussed, or kidding myself.

Even better the underlying numbers yesterday were much better, winning 11 from 17, & for the 2nd day running, that included 4 out of the 5 I played @ £11. Mixed stakes makes stat analysis a bit skewed sometimes, but there just are not enough £11 games going yet.

I played better & run better, too. I deliberately did not park myself on the sofa, in front of the telly, I went into my little "office" so I could sit up properly & concentrate. When you "slouch" on the sofa, I'm convinced it affects focus & concentration. I had Sky Go in the background, on my Ippy, so I could watch Man U thrash Sunderland, but that apart, I was in 100% concentrate mode.

Felt a bit of my mojo returning last night, but had to finish after 17 games as I've got a big day today, doing UKPC stuff. All being well, I'll try & up the volume tonight to 25 games or more.

My % of games won has crept up a bit, but nowhere near enough. Was 60% (just!) last month, this month it is not even 55% yet. Must do better. Must probably also accept that I ran a bit above expectation last month. 

RUN GOOD DYM OF THE DAY

I had TWO Big Blinds in an £11er, we were 4 handed, & I was in the BB very next hand. The two Billy Big Stacks then decided to go to war, the Bigger Billy beat the Smaller Billy, BOOM!

Bit of a mystery why players do not regularly "stack-scan" at the sharp end of these things, but I'll not complain. Oh no, sirree.

• edited January 2014
    I deliberately did not park myself on the sofa, in front of the telly, I went into my little "office" so I could sit up properly & concentrate. When you "slouch" on the sofa, I'm convinced it affects focus & concentration. I had Sky Go in the background, on my Ippy, so I could watch Man U thrash Sunderland, but that apart, I was in 100% concentrate mode. Felt a bit of my mojo returning last night,
    Posted by Tikay10
    This is great

I hope you also took the opportunity to consume some coconuts during this period as thats a great contribution to increased concentration and focus.

Pineapples are also quite good, lots of sugar for energy

The two together are lovely, the soft sweet bits of pineapple mixed with the moist crunchy coconuts are devine im sure if you eat them whilst sitting aleart in your office you win % will increase above 65% i am so sure i would wager on it
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : This is great I hope you also took the opportunity to consume some coconuts during this period as thats a great contribution to increased concentration and focus. Pineapples are also quite good, lots of sugar for energy The two together are lovely, the soft sweet bits of pineapple mixed with the moist crunchy coconuts are devine im sure if you eat them whilst sitting aleart in your office you win % will increase above 65% i am so sure i would wager on it
    Posted by alex1229
    I eat fresh pineapple - real pineapple, not tinned stuff - every night.

I only eat coconuts during Bounty Hunters though.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I eat fresh pineapple - real pineapple, not tinned stuff - every night. I only eat coconuts during Bounty Hunters though.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thats great i think that has played a big part in your impressive form over recent months, congrats
  • edited January 2014

Wednesday 8th January

Played 23

Won 13

Lost 10

Split....

£5.50 - Played 19, won 12, lost 7

£11.00 - Played 4, won 1, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £8.50 

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.37 

REWARD POINTS = 135

BANKROLL at close of Play = £964.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,256 (= £12.56)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 186

Won 100

Lost 86

Win-rate, November, 53.76%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £108.82

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.59
  • edited January 2014

Good session last night, if a losing session can be termed "good".

Losing 3 from 4 @ £11 has to be bad, & almost inevitably will lead to a red day.

The games were a bit odd last night, & all things considered, I can't complain.

I won the 1st 4 @ £5.50, & was cruising in my first £11er, & going for a perfect 5-timer to set the session up nicely.

4 of us left, one biggie, two mediums (including me), & one guy with about 2 Bigs. No need to get involved, we can wait for him to bust. I did not know the Big Stack, but he seemed to recognize the situation.

So, I get A-A-2-6, double suited on the Button. The Big Stack is BB, & the Shortie will be BB next hand. 

We gotta throw it in the muck, right? Yeah, obv. But I could not resist, so I potted it. I was pretty sure the Biggie would fold to ANY bet from me, as I'd barely played a hand all game, having doubled up early doors. 

Anyway, you know the rest, bla bla. It came 7-5-K, two of  my suit, so I have Aces, & both nut draws. And my man had 8-5-5-3.

8-5-5-3 must be the world record nut bad call, but truly, I don't mind those calls at all, we have to beat these guys over time. But I was so cross with myself for even playing the hand. Bleurgh. 

It was like that all night, I could not win the £11ers no matter how hard I tried, so a losing day ensued. Comically, I lost another £11er very early doors. I had A-A-K-2, & got looked up by the dominated-tastic A-K-9-2. I could not have been in better shape, I had him all locked up as tight as tight can be, every which way. He bust me. I got proper mugged, lol.

Still, my mojo is deffo returning, & I had a 23 game session, so all good really.

My January batting averages are not a pretty sight though, & I need to start having a few good winning days. 100 games after 8 days is not so clever, either, the volume needs revving up.

The liquidity remains excellent though, there were plenty of games going the whole evening. Chuffed to bits.

Was joined by Lord Geldy on a few Tables, think he won a few. Good to see him back.

Decent session planned for this evening, need to try & get 25% games in.The more games I play, the less I can blame variance. 

All good.    

• edited January 2014
    Lord Geldy
    yes
    I like the sound of that
    and they do seem to hand out the gongs for all sorts of trivial reasons these days.  So why not one for a skypoker suit wearer.

More seriously really enjoying the hilo dyms. Thanks for inspiring me to play by providing such good advice on hilo and dyms.

Even managed to win the one I "forgot"
    • I discovered it lying behind other windows while playing other mtts and the Orford cash hand out. I had already blinded out of half my stack but managed to get it together some how. 
  • edited January 2014

Thursday 9th January

Played 32

Won 14

Lost 18

Split....

£5.50 - Played 27, won 12, lost 15

£11.00 - Played 5, won 2, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £43.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.36

REWARD POINTS = 185

BANKROLL at close of Play = £920.81

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,441 (= £14.41)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 218

Won 114

Lost 104

Win-rate, November, 52.29%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £65.32

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.30
  • edited January 2014

Worse set of daily results ever ever ever.

Refuse to discuss it.

I'm sulking. OFFICIAL
  • edited January 2014
    Need to adjust your torque wrench settings.

Your nuts aren't tight enough !

Regards
    The Mechanic
  • edited January 2014
    Worse set of daily results ever ever ever. Refuse to discuss it. I'm sulking. OFFICIAL
    Posted by Tikay10
    look at mine that will cheer you up :@) it even made me smile in embarrasment but will try stick too it good luck tikay u will bounce back.
  • edited January 2014
    Worse set of daily results ever ever ever. Refuse to discuss it. I'm sulking. OFFICIAL
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hehe, i have really enjoyed following this thread, but that has to be the best post yet, sorry but cant stop smiling. (and laughing, even crying a little too)

Mother
    x
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hehe, i have really enjoyed following this thread, but that has to be the best post yet, sorry but cant stop smiling. (and laughing, even crying a little too) Mother x
    Posted by Amarie
    PS meant the post was funny not your results obv ;)
  • edited January 2014
    Tikay sorry too bother you but any chance of asking the bosses about putting on some £1.10 h/u hi/lo games on please. i think more of them would run than the 60p dyms. even a week/months trial and if they don,t work bin them again. cheers in advance churchy
  • edited January 2014
    Tikay sorry too bother you but any chance of asking the bosses about putting on some £1.10 h/u hi/lo games on please. i think more of them would run than the 60p dyms. even a week/months trial and if they don,t work bin them again. cheers in advance churchy
    Posted by churchy18
    I will ask, Churchy, but I can't promise they will agree, demand would be miniscule.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hehe, i have really enjoyed following this thread, but that has to be the best post yet, sorry but cant stop smiling. (and laughing, even crying a little too) Mother x
    Posted by Amarie
    No need MOTHER, no need at all. It was painfullllllllllllll