You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014

Oi oi!

Got there at last, chuffed to bits.

Was going along in neutral after 9 games, break-even, then went rat-a-tat-tat & won 11 of the next 13, which booked a nice profit on the day, & took me over the £1,000 mark at last. Pretty sure I'll dip back into the nine hundreds tonight.....

All the Stats looked better after that, & the January Win-Rate at last exceeded 56%, for the first time this month. Needs to improve a goodly bit more yet, but at least it is going in the right direction.

Not sure if I should continue this, but I just love the game, & the challenge, so I may try & push on to £1,200, for a £1,000 profit.

It definitely shows how difficult it must have been for GaryQQQ, who began with ZERO cash, & got to £1,000 mostly via Freerolls & the like, that must be 10,000 times harder than my thing.

On another "Challenge" thread, GaryQQQ also gave a chap some great advice - you must Post updates EVERY DAY, including the bad days. If it were not for that, I think I'd have swerved the bad days, as it is no fun reporting that we lost money. Anyway, I reported after every single day I played, win or lose, good or bad, & never once - I hope - complained of run-bad, or made excuses for bad days.

Chuffed to bits.         
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Well done Mr K!! Brilliant achievement (Hope this doesnt mean the end to this thread)  See you at the tables ;) Mother xx
    Posted by Amarie
    MOTHERRRRRRRRRRRR!

Thank you very much.

As they say at the Oscars, "this would not have been possible without you".......;)

I've made so many virtual friends via this thing, the PLO8 regulars are a lovely bunch, they really are. I don't chat very much, as I struggle a bit when I am 4 or 5 Tabling, but before almost every one, pleasantries are exchanged, "good luck all" that sorta thing. I love that to bits, proper people.

Word must have got out last night that I'd at last crawled over the line, as loads of regulars came to my Tables to say "well done". In fact, the atmo went a bit jolly, & there was some interesting fun in the ChatBox, see next post.....    
  • edited January 2014

Richard Orford sends his congratulations and regards. He would of posted himself but he is busy grinding 32 tables to overcome his slight drop in his BR to prove he is the much better player out of you two.

...OH.....your tip this week on UKPC update.....go stick yer head in a concrete mixer #thatisall

(apart from WD from me.....ish)
  • edited January 2014

So, unusually, we are all chatting, 6 players, & we all "know" each other. I've run out of Tables, I only have one on the go, so I can chat a bit if need be.

Someone asks what my favourite film is, the start of the convo goes a bit like this......

Me - I don't watch films.

Them - What? You serious?

Me - Yeah, can't be doing with them. I'm into concrete.

Them - Concrete?

Me - Yeah, concrete.

Them - Really?

Me - Yeah, I have a thing about concrete.

The rest of the convo is exactly as written, & is cut & pasted, below. I've removed the names, as it would be a little rude to publish them. Several of those in the Convo read this Diary, though, & will confirm it is all true.

Player A: so you like multi storey carparks and stuff like that?tikay1: oooh, yesPlayer B: loltikay1: That has got me a little, you know, a bit, err, excitedPlayer C: and dont forget concrete motorway barriers22:43tikay1: +1 to that, tooPlayer 1: spaghetti junction must beem like the caribbeanPlayer 2: i used 2 be a groundworker on roadstikay1:oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhPlayer C: lololol22:44tikay1: I need to excuse myself brieflyPlayer B: lolPlayer C: :@)22:45Player A: i've only just got itPlayer B: lolPlayer B: im splittinb my sides ere22:46tikay1: Excuse me, but this is not a laughing matter.tikay1: You are talking about the love of my life22:47Player A: i saw a documentary once about a chap who had been arrested a few times for having 'sex' with roadstikay1: I spent a whole career in Reinforced Concrete22:48 tikay1: "sex" with concrete roads? DISGUSTINGPlayer B: lol22:49tikay1: With a concrete crash barrier, yes, but roads? Thats just pervertedPLAYER C: pmsl

• edited January 2014

Bet the NLH regulars don't have that much fun.
  • edited January 2014
    Richard Orford sends his congratulations and regards. He would of posted himself but he is busy grinding 32 tables to overcome his slight drop in his BR to prove he is the much better player out of you two. ...OH.....your tip this week on UKPC update.....go stick yer head in a concrete mixer #thatisall (apart from WD from me.....ish)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ha, thanks Alan.

Orford? No chance. Utterly helpless, hopeless, & hapless.

• edited January 2014
                            BOOM ! Congratulations Sir. Just as an aside i only dropped in for a couple of £2 games but experienced both ends of the poker spectrum. 1. Had my first ever Royal Flush 2. Won a hand with Ace high (which must be unheard of in Omaha). Onwards and upwards.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks!

I would guess that we might almost see Royal Flushes more often than we see A high win in Omaha. I won a 3 way High pot with 2-2 a few days ago, lol.

• edited January 2014
    Yeah the call does look somewhat marginal, not too sure if it's correct or not. Tikay needs 32% equity but ofc because this is a DYM we have to factor in ICM. My general rule of thumb is that I want at least 10% more equity than the BE equity. (but this % can vary depending on our chip stack and whether or not we can pass up on this spot and easily cash. If tikay had passed up on this spot he'd be in no immediate danger of going out and would still have a v good chance of cashing. Whereas calling now has the potential to win the DYM right then - but if we lose we're right in the mix of it again. So based on all that I think 10% more than BE equity is OK and so we need 42% to call. Against a 15% range of hands we have 42.81% and so calling would be marginally correct. If he's shoving a tighter range then I think we can pass up on the spot. A looser range and it becomes a clearer call. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    I keep thinking about this hand, because I so rarely Call in a spot like this, I almost never call actually, I'm much more of a Bettor than a Caller.

I'm not convinced your equity calculations are correct, surely, with 2 Pots, they must change? I admit, of course, I'd struggle to win the Low, as I had no Low cards.....;)

I have tried to reconstruct my thinking as to the Call. I agree, it is VERY marginal, & I'm a Super Nit. I just don't normally Call there.

I think the reason was a sort of "I know that he knows that I know" sort of thing, where I managed to out-think myself, & then get lucky. I KNOW that Vespa knows I rarely call, & I sort of convinced myself that he was betting because he was sure I would not call, as I so rarely do. 

Think I'll just accept it was a shocker of a call.

Next case.  
  • edited January 2014
    So, unusually, we are all chatting, 6 players, & we all "know" each other. I've run out of Tables, I only have one on the go, so I can chat a bit if need be. Someone asks what my favourite film is, the start of the convo goes a bit like this......   Me - I don't watch films. Them - What? You serious? Me - Yeah, can't be doing with them. I'm into concrete.   Them - Concrete? Me - Yeah, concrete. Them - Really? Me - Yeah, I have a thing about concrete. The rest of the convo is exactly as written, & is cut & pasted, below. I've removed the names, as it would be a little rude to publish them. Several of those in the Convo read this Diary, though, & will confirm it is all true.   Player A : so you like multi storey carparks and stuff like that? tikay1 : oooh, yes Player B : lol tikay1 : That has got me a little, you know, a bit, err, excited Player C : and dont forget concrete motorway barriers 22:43 tikay1 : +1 to that, too Player 1 : spaghetti junction must beem like the caribbean Player 2 : i used 2 be a groundworker on roads tikay1 : oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh Player C : lololol 22:44 tikay1 : I need to excuse myself briefly Player B : lol Player C : :@) 22:45 Player A : i've only just got it Player B : lol Player B : im splittinb my sides ere 22:46 tikay1 : Excuse me, but this is not a laughing matter. tikay1 : You are talking about the love of my life 22:47 Player A : i saw a documentary once about a chap who had been arrested a few times for having 'sex' with roads tikay1 : I spent a whole career in Reinforced Concrete 22:48   tikay1 : "sex" with concrete roads? DISGUSTING Player B : lol 22:49 tikay1 : With a concrete crash barrier, yes, but roads? Thats just perverted PLAYER C : pmsl      
    Posted by Tikay10

omg what can i say - actually crying with laughter here, omg, so wrong but so funny

• edited January 2014
    VWP TK!  The plo8 crew really are a most pleasant bunch.  
  • edited January 2014
    no tumbleweeds here
    nor discusions about concrete either
    but at least in Hong Kong one can log into the site
    which is better than in the rest of China.

Next stop Macau.

ps congrats on breaking the £1000 barrier
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : ;) Supposing it all went wrong in the last hour, & I failed to get over the line?........ Sorry to see you met with some rudeness in the Chat Box last night. The chap concerned does not usually play these, so I don't know if that was his normal manner. You seemed to handle it fine, so I kept out of it, but I did really have to resist the urge to say to the chap that what you were doing was engaging in an increasingly rare thing known, I gather, as conversation .  If he did not want to chat - or know how to - fine, he can ignore, or turn chat off. Why the need for such rudeness is competely beyond me.   I hope, that episode apart, you had an enjoyable evening.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Thanks for those kind words Tikay. Yes I was a little suprised by his comments as I was only having a bit of a banter. Sadly it did ruin that game for me a bit, well that combined with missing every flop when I played a hand and hitting every flop when I folded! I knew I was going to bubble that one but at least had the compensation that it wasn't him that knocked me out.

Congrats again and I shall enjoy helping you up to £1,200!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : omg what can i say - actually crying with laughter here, omg, so wrong but so funny
    Posted by Amarie
    +1
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : omg what can i say - actually crying with laughter here, omg, so wrong but so funny
    Posted by Amarie
    +1
    Coffee spitting moment :-)

Oh and i ran into our friend from the Black Country on a table, unplayable at times !
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : +1 Coffee spitting moment :-) Oh and i ran into our friend from the Black Country on a table, unplayable at times !
    Posted by VespaPX
    YumYum.
  • edited January 2014
    So, unusually, we are all chatting, 6 players, & we all "know" each other. I've run out of Tables, I only have one on the go, so I can chat a bit if need be. Someone asks what my favourite film is, the start of the convo goes a bit like this......   Me - I don't watch films. Them - What? You serious? Me - Yeah, can't be doing with them. I'm into concrete.   Them - Concrete? Me - Yeah, concrete. Them - Really? Me - Yeah, I have a thing about concrete. The rest of the convo is exactly as written, & is cut & pasted, below. I've removed the names, as it would be a little rude to publish them. Several of those in the Convo read this Diary, though, & will confirm it is all true.   Player A : so you like multi storey carparks and stuff like that? tikay1 : oooh, yes Player B : lol tikay1 : That has got me a little, you know, a bit, err, excited Player C : and dont forget concrete motorway barriers 22:43 tikay1 : +1 to that, too Player 1 : spaghetti junction must beem like the caribbean Player 2 : i used 2 be a groundworker on roads tikay1 : oooooooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh Player C : lololol 22:44 tikay1 : I need to excuse myself briefly Player B : lol Player C : :@) 22:45 Player A : i've only just got it Player B : lol Player B : im splittinb my sides ere 22:46 tikay1 : Excuse me, but this is not a laughing matter. tikay1 :
    You are talking about the love of my life 22:47 Player A : i saw a documentary once about a chap who had been arrested a few times for having 'sex' with roads tikay1 : I spent a whole career in Reinforced Concrete 22:48   tikay1 : "sex" with concrete roads? DISGUSTING Player B : lol 22:49 tikay1 : With a concrete crash barrier, yes, but roads? Thats just perverted PLAYER C : pmsl      
    Posted by Tikay10
    that was hilarious i think player a is still puggled whether you really like concrete..was a good laugh

WELL DONE ON HITTING THE £1000 VWP
  • edited January 2014

WARNING - ADULTS ONLY, THIS IS NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH
  • edited January 2014

Thursday 23rd January

Played 31

Won 9

Lost 22

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 22, won 6, lost 16

£11.00 - Played 9, won 3, Lost 6

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £100.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £3.23

REWARD POINTS = 200

BANKROLL at close of Play = £930.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,575 (= £25.75)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 403

Won 218

Lost 187

Win-rate, January, 54.09%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £73.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.18
  • edited January 2014

Think I'll spare you the grisly detail, nobody wants to read whiny moany "poor me" stuff. I got beaten up last night, taken to the cleaners, leg lifted, the whole works, it was so bad it was funny.

Fortunately, if properly rolled, which I am for £5.50 & £11 DYM's, you take these things in your stride, & the only pain is pride, & ego. Both are a touch bruised today.....

Comedy moment of the evening?

I was near the end of my biggest ever losing session at these. Outdraw City?, you've never seen the like. Well, you have, we all have, but you know what I mean.

Anyway, I get it in bad, good Queens v bad Aces, & I get there. Yay, at last. And the geezer EXPLODED in the chatbox, you've never seen such an outpouring of toxic bile! To be fair to the lad, I checked his SS, & he was on a bad run, too, losing 6 for 7.

I feel a little embarrassed that many folks congratulated me yesterday on achieving the magic £1,000 mark. It was a brief & passionate affair, but it was soon over. A reconciliation is planned, but it may take some time. The fence-mending starts tonight...... 

Have a good weekend, all of you.
  • edited January 2014
    Not only me on a bit of a downswing then !

Only a temporary blip i'm sure.

• edited January 2014
    We've all been there Tikay.

Some of us more than others.

Just one of those things eh?  One day you can run golden, the next youre practically setting fire to money.  Its the beauty of poker.

Either way, best not show this post to Orford.  He might start to feel slightly better about himself and convince his bad start on his diary is due to 'variance'.  :)

Gl on the tables.  
  • edited January 2014
    On a lighter note did you read the story yesterday about part of the tube being closed due to concrete?

Apparently some contractors were pouring concrete and forgot to close the door to the local switch room!

Amateurs huh !
  • edited January 2014
    Getting over £1,000 was a tremendous achievement Tikay, but so is being over £900.

You will recover I am sure. Do you think you changed your style a little, I know I have before when I reached a certain milestone or had a good win, I then had to make a conscious effort to get back to grinding rather than playing too many pots because I suddenly thought I was better than I am! Just a thought, I am sure you're far too disciplined for that sort of rookie error.
  • edited January 2014
    On a lighter note did you read the story yesterday about part of the tube being closed due to concrete? Apparently some contractors were pouring concrete and forgot to close the door to the local switch room! Amateurs huh !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ah and there we have the reason for the downturn. How could Tikay be expected to concentrate with the thought of wet concrete oozing all over public transport. I'm suprised he played at all, one would have thought he would have just locked himself away with the TV news playing on a loop!   
  • edited January 2014
    On a lighter note did you read the story yesterday about part of the tube being closed due to concrete? Apparently some contractors were pouring concrete and forgot to close the door to the local switch room! Amateurs huh !
    Posted by VespaPX
    It was grout, Mick, grout. GROUT.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It was grout, Mick, grout. GROUT.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Harry?

• edited January 2014
    Getting over £1,000 was a tremendous achievement Tikay, but so is being over £900. You will recover I am sure. Do you think you changed your style a little, I know I have before when I reached a certain milestone or had a good win, I then had to make a conscious effort to get back to grinding rather than playing too many pots because I suddenly thought I was better than I am! Just a thought, I am sure you're far too disciplined for that sort of rookie error.
    Posted by Enut
    That's a perfectly plausible explanation.

The fact I lost so many last night suggests that a "tweak" to my game, intentional or otherwise, could not have such a drastic effect.

My gut reaction was that it was just (long-overdue) adverse variance, & it'll self-correct, but I will be looking at my game closely. I remained very-disciplined last night, too. 

I did notice that the games last night were very limpy-stationy, more so than usual. 5 Limpers, I pot it, 5 callers, that sort of thing. Bizarre, really, if you can call 5X, why limp in the first place? But they all did, every time. Not an excuse, by the way, we need to find ways to combat that sort of thing. It does make you think though.

I lost the lot with good Aces, all-in pre, against.....J-9-8-3. The guy said "I knew you had Aces mate, because you potted it, you always do, thats why I called". I was not sure how best to respond to him.......

Another chap limped, I had A-K-2-3 Double Suited, so I potted it. He then......RE-POTTED!

Whoops. He must have the Aces, but I was pot stuck, & had a great 2 way hand, in we go. He had A-J-9-6. Explain that one! What can A-J-9-6 EVER be beating, as played?

What a great game, eh? 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Harry?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Thinking of Porridge....

One older, wiser, street-wise gentleman with a younger, better looking but gullible lad...

Remind you of any other couple?.....
  • edited January 2014