You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's a perfectly plausible explanation. The fact I lost so many last night suggests that a "tweak" to my game, intentional or otherwise, could not have such a drastic effect. My gut reaction was that it was just (long-overdue) adverse variance, & it'll self-correct, but I will be looking at my game closely. I remained very-disciplined last night, too.  I did notice that the games last night were very limpy-stationy, more so than usual. 5 Limpers, I pot it, 5 callers, that sort of thing. Bizarre, really, if you can call 5X, why limp in the first place? But they all did, every time. Not an excuse, by the way, we need to find ways to combat that sort of thing. It does make you think though.   I lost the lot with good Aces, all-in pre, against.....J-9-8-3. The guy said " I knew you had Aces mate, because you potted it, you always do, thats why I called ". I was not sure how best to respond to him....... Another chap limped, I had A-K-2-3 Double Suited, so I potted it. He then......RE-POTTED! Whoops. He must have the Aces, but I was pot stuck, & had a great 2 way hand, in we go. He had A-J-9-6. Explain that one! What can A-J-9-6 EVER be beating, as played? What a great game, eh?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I've seen this a lot recently and i'm scratching my head as how to combat it too.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : It was grout, Mick, grout. GROUT.
    Posted by Tikay10
    You better ring the BBC and complain about their description.
    Headline says concrete.
    Caption below picture states cement!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25873252

Sort it out TK !!
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thinking of Porridge.... One older, wiser, street-wise gentleman with a younger, better looking but gullible lad... Remind you of any other couple?.....
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Same dress sense :-)
  • edited January 2014

Better-looking

Orford? Better looking? Are you serious?
  • edited January 2014
    Better-looking Orford? Better looking? Are you serious?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not 100% sure he is younger now you mention it.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : That's a perfectly plausible explanation. The fact I lost so many last night suggests that a "tweak" to my game, intentional or otherwise, could not have such a drastic effect. My gut reaction was that it was just (long-overdue) adverse variance, & it'll self-correct, but I will be looking at my game closely. I remained very-disciplined last night, too.  I did notice that the games last night were very limpy-stationy, more so than usual. 5 Limpers, I pot it, 5 callers, that sort of thing. Bizarre, really, if you can call 5X, why limp in the first place? But they all did, every time. Not an excuse, by the way, we need to find ways to combat that sort of thing. It does make you think though.   I lost the lot with good Aces, all-in pre, against.....J-9-8-3. The guy said " I knew you had Aces mate, because you potted it, you always do, thats why I called ". I was not sure how best to respond to him....... Another chap limped, I had A-K-2-3 Double Suited, so I potted it. He then......RE-POTTED! Whoops. He must have the Aces, but I was pot stuck, & had a great 2 way hand, in we go. He had A-J-9-6. Explain that one! What can A-J-9-6 EVER be beating, as played? What a great game, eh?     
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi TK, 

Been pondering about something you touch on in your post recently...

In PLO8, how good a hand do you need to have when you KNOW your opponent is going to call preflop regardless. for arguments sake, lets say you have 2k chips with 2 others on the same amount and a big stack. Blinds are 100-200.  The big stack limps - and judging by his play previously will call any bet you make preflop. you are on the big blind.

In holdem we know we can get our opponent to call with only 20-30% equity in alot of situations, but its a different ball game with PLO8... i guess their equity would be alot higher than that in almost all cases + its harder to bluff post flop.

so I guess my question is, vs opponents like this, and when relatively short, do you think a viable tactic is to check your option even with very strong hands. The intention is to give yourself more options postflop against an opponent who is more likely to make mistakes than you,  and reduce varience while on the bubble.

I went out of one of the DYMs i played last night in a very similar spot to this. big stack limper who limped every hand, i potted from the BB with AK45 and they called. On the flop I was first to act and had a resonable shot at both pots so shoved for about 2/3 pot. villain calls with 234J or something and scooped to knock me out...

If I had checked my option preflop, I'd have more fold equity, and way more options post flop. Its not like I need to double up either, a small pot would also put me in a good position to cash.

would be interested to know your thoughts.

• edited January 2014

Great question, Melty.

I can't find a way to like flatting if I think I have the best hand, I just can't. This is PLO8, not NLH.

If I DON'T think I have the best hand, I won't enter the pot anyway.

If my man LIMPS, I'm SURE my hand is better. Why would he limp with a better hand than mine? I ONLY play quality starting hands, assuming I have a playable stack.

So......

I know he'll suckout a few times, yes, but I want to play this hand 10,000 times. I'll win it, what, 6,000 times? That'll do me fine.

Every decision I make is based on that logic. If we do this 10,000 times, how often will I win?

I'll get a black eye a good few times, but if my man keeps getting it in bad, he HAS to lose over time.

A man got a little upset with me last night, as I ONLY raised or folded. To me, I can't think outside of that box when we are playing so shalllow, as we are in these. In a deep-stacked Tourney, that's different, but in these, if I have the best hand, I'll take my chances.

Great question, I'll muse on it further over the weekend, thank you.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi TK,  Been pondering about something you touch on in your post recently... In PLO8, how good a hand do you need to have when you KNOW your opponent is going to call preflop regardless. for arguments sake, lets say you have 2k chips with 2 others on the same amount and a big stack. Blinds are 100-200.  The big stack limps - and judging by his play previously will call any bet you make preflop. you are on the big blind. In holdem we know we can get our opponent to call with only 20-30% equity in alot of situations, but its a different ball game with PLO8... i guess their equity would be alot higher than that in almost all cases + its harder to bluff post flop. so I guess my question is, vs opponents like this, and when relatively short, do you think a viable tactic is to check your option even with very strong hands. The intention is to give yourself more options postflop against an opponent who is more likely to make mistakes than you,  and reduce varience while on the bubble. I went out of one of the DYMs i played last night in a very similar spot to this. big stack limper who limped every hand, i potted from the BB with AK45 and they called. On the flop I was first to act and had a resonable shot at both pots so shoved for about 2/3 pot. villain calls with 234J or something and scooped to knock me out... If I had checked my option preflop, I'd have more fold equity, and way more options post flop. Its not like I need to double up either, a small pot would also put me in a good position to cash. would be interested to know your thoughts.
    Posted by chicknMelt

personally, I think where you say " they called" is the key-- surely it's a waste of time pot betting here when you know he'll call----- if you have to shove every flop--- shove pre innit?-- two chances?-----

hi Tikay? ---good luck!
  • edited January 2014

Dont know much about omaha, but surely turning up with a AK47 would get more respect.....whatever your cards are.
  • edited January 2014
    Great question, Melty. I can't find a way to like flatting if I think I have the best hand, I just can't. This is PLO8, not NLH. If I DON'T think I have the best hand, I won't enter the pot anyway.   If my man LIMPS, I'm SURE my hand is better. Why would he limp with a better hand than mine? I ONLY play quality starting hands, assuming I have a playable stack. So...... I know he'll suckout a few times, yes, but I want to play this hand 10,000 times. I'll win it, what, 6,000 times? That'll do me fine. Every decision I make is based on that logic. If we do this 10,000 times, how often will I win? I'll get a black eye a good few times, but if my man keeps getting it in bad, he HAS to lose over time. A man got a little upset with me last night, as I ONLY raised or folded. To me, I can't think outside of that box when we are playing so shalllow, as we are in these. In a deep-stacked Tourney, that's different, but in these, if I have the best hand, I'll take my chances. Great question, I'll muse on it further over the weekend, thank you.   
    Posted by Tikay10

I do agree with you that in general we should be trying to get the money in with better hands...buuut, that doesnt take into account ICM.

If we know we are 60% fav in a hand, then should we go all in with 4 left in a DYM, when folding would also leave us a resonable chance of cashing? I dont think the answer is yes in every scenario.

In my example above, we have 58.5% equity vs the villains hand

so by potting it pre, we are basically committing ourself to the pot, and therefor give ourselves a 41.5% chance of not cashing.

I guess we just have to figure out is checking our option increases or decreases the chance of not cashing... If we deem our opponent to be weak post flop, I think it may actually increase our chance of cashing??

EDIT - Im definately not saying this should always be how you play it... but I never even considered it as an option until now...

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : personally, I think where you say " they called" is the key-- surely it's a waste of time pot betting here when you know he'll call----- if you have to shove every flop--- shove pre innit?-- two chances?----- hi Tikay? ---good luck!
    Posted by oynutter
    Pot limit... NLO8 would be interestig though :)
  • edited January 2014
    I have played a few PLO8 STTs but by no means would I call myself a good player, or even competent but there does seem to be a case for getting active very early in these rather than waiting for 'premium' hands as you can then build up good stack before the 'shove fest' stage.

There is no such thing as a huge favorite pre flop in PLO8, unlike holdem. So if we can avoid getting to the stage when we stand the chance of getting called as even a 60/40 favorite by an opponent who has us covered then maybe we should?

Obviously building up a big stack early on is often easier said than done but sometimes these calling stations seem to do it!

Just some thoughts, feel free to shoot me down.
  • edited January 2014

Love it, keep it coming guys, I'm playing tonight but I'll reply to everyone in the morning.

Thought for the day.......

I've steadily made money, week after week, month after month, & reported every single day. I guess it's pretty boring to read. But then, one day, I do a bunch of money, & the Diary goes BOOM! & springs to life. And all good, solid, constructed, well-intentioned stuff.

What an amazing thing human nature is, eh?  

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I do agree with you that in general we should be trying to get the money in with better hands...buuut, that doesnt take into account ICM. If we know we are 60% fav in a hand, then should we go all in with 4 left in a DYM, when folding would also leave us a resonable chance of cashing? I dont think the answer is yes in every scenario. In my example above, we have 58.5% equity vs the villains hand http://www.allinpokerodds.com/index.php?gametype=omahahilo&hand%5B0%5D=ackd4c5h&hand%5B1%5D=2s3s4djh&hand%5B2%5D=&hand%5B3%5D=&hand%5B4%5D=&board=&nsimulations=5000&task=process so by potting it pre, we are basically committing ourself to the pot, and therefor give ourselves a 41.5% chance of not cashing. I guess we just have to figure out is checking our option increases or decreases the chance of not cashing... If we deem our opponent to be weak post flop, I think it may actually increase our chance of cashing?? EDIT - Im definately not saying this should always be how you play it... but I never even considered it as an option until now...
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Just one reply for now, because this one set me thinking. But I think you have missed something.

Where does MOST of my profit arise from? I'll tell you, & this happens again & again. Sometimes it fails, but mostly this is where the gains arise.

It's, say, Level 4, & we find good Aces in good position, with 2 Limpers in already. We POT it, the BB comes along too, & so do both of the Larry Limpers. Good, we are 4 way to the flop.

What range of hands do you think these guys have?

I'll tell you. LOW drawing hands. They want to catch a low-flop.

The flop arrives.....

Q-9-10

They all check, we POT it, they all fold. Even Sally Station can't call on that flop with 2-4-5 in her hand.   

Honestly, its that straightforward.

Now, if this flop comes......

7-5-3

Then we MUST give up, there & then. It'll be 2 pair city, & with a made low, they'll never fold, & now (unless we keep 2 or more callers) we are trying to win HALF the pot. That's of no interest to me. 

So, ICM & all that stuff, I'm not convinced it allows for that, very very profitable, scenario. If we limp in, we lose all that profit.

One possible explanation for last night's debacle was that I was perhaps a bit gung-ho & adrenelin filled, & was still in pot-pot-pot mode on part or all low flops.

Food for thought Mr Melty, yes, no, stop talking out of your rear orifice Mr Kendall?

See you on the Tables later.  

• edited January 2014

PS to Melty - I've never sen a PLO8 Odds Calculator befote, wowzer!

Not sure how useful it is to me, but jolly interesting.
  • edited January 2014
    does anyone no the password for the social freeroll plz
  • edited January 2014
    does anyone no the password for the social freeroll plz
    Posted by gaz211
    Give over.

---------------------------------------------

Love how you take it (everything) in your stride Tikay. Credit to Sky and the game in general.
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Tikay

I enjoyed this evenings play, although I only played 3. Can you give me some feedback on a hand we played ? Hand ID

Sorry I don't know how to post it properly. 3 players before me (including you) were limping and I had top FH, I potted it hoping for more than one caller, sadly only you called with the nut low, hence we split it and only made a small profit. Should I have raised less? I know with the benefit of hindsight I should.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Pot limit ... NLO8 would be interestig though :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    sorry chicknMelt--- shows what i know
  • edited January 2014
    Hi Tikay I enjoyed this evenings play, although I only played 3. Can you give me some feedback on a hand we played ? Hand ID #736616338 Sorry I don't know how to post it properly. 3 players before me (including you) were limping and I had top FH, I potted it hoping for more than one caller, sadly only you called with the nut low, hence we split it and only made a small profit. Should I have raised less? I know with the benefit of hindsight I should.
    Posted by Enut
    Hi Enut. (Why that name, please?).

I've no idea how to find that hand in my hand histories, but no matter, I don't think you did much wrong, to be honest.

PLO & PLO8 are very different to NLH, & we see lots of Full Houses. They are ALWAYS "visible" (they need a paired board) so we rarely get paid, unless someomne has an under house.

In PLO8, of course, the parameters are totally confused by those drawing, or on, the low, & you are never going to get players off the "locked" nut low.

For this reason, if you flop it, & there are two low cards on the Flop, you MUST Pot it, to try & force them off, otherwise you are only ever going to get half the pot no matter what.

We split that hand, but you could never get more than you did, the way the hand played out.

• edited January 2014

Friday 24th January

Played 30

Won 16

Lost 14

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 21, won 11, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 9, won 5, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £4.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.15

REWARD POINTS = 195

BANKROLL at close of Play = £926.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,770 (= £27.70)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 433

Won 234

Lost 201

Win-rate, January, 54.04%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £68.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.16
  • edited January 2014

Well the hoped rebound never arose, but I just about won the game Count 16-14, which resulted in a £4.50 loss on the day, but at least I steadied the ship. I had a scary first hour, too, losing 6 of the first 8, but it got better later & I finished with a proper rattle.

Loads of games going, & I rattled though 30 of them in under 4 hours.

I was making repeated silly mistakes though, & getting a bit cross with myself, so even though there were still games running, I drew stumps early.

Lovely atmo on the tables last night though, & it was a really enjoyable session.

I put a horrible beat on FCHD, which upset me for some reason, he is such a nice chap, & I played the hand bad, but rivered the miracle card to scoop.

In one DYM, I had noticed a "stranger" was potting every hand pre, time after time, but never geting called, so I girded my loin things & hoped I could find something to go to war with. Soon enough, I found A-K-K-2 double suited, facing a raise from my man. I Pot, he repots, etc, we get the lot in, & he turns up with 8-9-10-J. I bust him, & he mentions that I got lucky, so I say, "ul mate, that'd be a great hand in PLO, but it does not play well in PLO8". He then replies "yeah, but this IS PLO". Umm, no it's not mate.....

We once again saw some rather regrettable language in the chatbox from the same chap who abused me the previous day. This time he made, imo, a bad call when I potted it pre & he called with a Low Only hand. Personally, I think that is dreadful play, we can RAISE with Low Only hands pre, but calling is a no-no. IMO, of course. Anyway, the chatbox lit up with expletives, it was almost comical. Guess I'll not be getting an Xmas card from him this year.

PS - Have a lovely Saturday.         

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Enut. (Why that name, please?). I've no idea how to find that hand in my hand histories, but no matter, I don't think you did much wrong, to be honest.   PLO & PLO8 are very different to NLH, & we see lots of Full Houses. They are ALWAYS "visible" (they need a paired board) so we rarely get paid, unless someomne has an under house.   In PLO8, of course, the parameters are totally confused by those drawing, or on, the low, & you are never going to get players off the "locked" nut low.   For this reason, if you flop it, & there are two low cards on the Flop, you MUST Pot it, to try & force them off, otherwise you are only ever going to get half the pot no matter what.   We split that hand, but you could never get more than you did, the way the hand played out.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Enut is my surname (Tune) backwards, it's as simple as that. First name Paul by the way.

Thanks for the feedback, I was actually thinking that if I played it slower I could have kept more people in drawing to the low, or with made lows, and taken 1/2 of a much bigger 3 or 4 way pot, however often when trying that at cash PLO8 I would get outdrawn for the high too!

p.s. I have just read through Orford's laughingly titled 'build a bankroll' challenge. Whilst the 'who's the better player' debate was never in doubt I can also confirm that you win the 'who writes the better posts' competition by a country mile too. With Rich Orful playing at them I am sorely tempted to try the 5/10 holdem cash tables if it wasn't for the fact that I am truly bad at cash. (Only joking he won an MTT once didn't he?)
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Just one reply for now, because this one set me thinking. But I think you have missed something. Where does MOST of my profit arise from? I'll tell you, & this happens again & again. Sometimes it fails, but mostly this is where the gains arise. It's, say, Level 4, & we find good Aces in good position, with 2 Limpers in already. We POT it, the BB comes along too, & so do both of the Larry Limpers. Good, we are 4 way to the flop.   What range of hands do you think these guys have? I'll tell you. LOW drawing hands. They want to catch a low-flop. The flop arrives..... Q-9-10 They all check, we POT it, they all fold. Even Sally Station can't call on that flop with 2-4-5 in her hand.    Honestly, its that straightforward. Now, if this flop comes...... 7-5-3 Then we MUST give up, there & then. It'll be 2 pair city, & with a made low, they'll never fold, & now (unless we keep 2 or more callers) we are trying to win HALF the pot. That's of no interest to me.  So, ICM & all that stuff, I'm not convinced it allows for that, 
    Posted by Tikay10
    Some interesting points...The assumption that people limp call with low hands drawing hands: I'm not sure it's as black and white as u make out...there are people that limp every hand, and there are some that do it occasionally. While I can see how the range of hands limped would be weighted towards the low draw hands, there are clearly players that will have a pretty much random hand. Judging by some of the hands you have discussed on here there seem to be plenty limp calling with random hands.

I think good aces in position is probably a good example of when not to do it, but maybe a slightly weaker hand and out of position. 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Some interesting points...The assumption that people limp call with low hands drawing hands: I'm not sure it's as black and white as u make out...there are people that limp every hand, and there are some that do it occasionally. While I can see how the range of hands limped would be weighted towards the low draw hands, there are clearly players that will have a pretty much random hand. Judging by some of the hands you have discussed on here there seem to be plenty limp calling with random hands. I think good aces in position is probably a good example of when not to do it, but maybe a slightly weaker hand and out of position. 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    I think that is mostly fair comment, Melty, though I feel the limpers are more liklely to have low drawing hands.

In these spots, if the flop comes 3 high cards, or even 2 high cards, then I c-bet, they almost always all fold.

I just think limping with Aces, especially in the 4 card game, is SO dangerous, anyone can catch 2 pair with spanners. We MUST learn to bin our Aces if the betting tells us we have a problem though.

Bad Aces I can even fold pre in the early stages, they are just so hard to play.  

• edited January 2014

Saturday 25th January

Played 31

Won 18

Lost 13

Split....

£5.50 - Played 25, won 15, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 6, won 3, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £6.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.21

REWARD POINTS = 180

BANKROLL at close of Play = £932.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,955 (= £29.55)
  • edited January 2014

Sunday 26th January

Played 7

Won 4

Lost 3

Split....

£5.50 - Played 7, won 4, lost 3

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £1.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.21

REWARD POINTS = 35

BANKROLL at close of Play = £934.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,990 (= £29.70)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 471

Won 256

Lost 217

Win-rate, January, 54.35%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £76.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.16
  • edited January 2014

£8 profit in 2 days is not exactly setting the world on fire, but at least I've steadied the ship.

Only a short session on Sunday, as I was working, but I got a few games in.

Friday's session felt good, won 18-13, but the Game Count @ £11 was only 3-3, & that makes a huge difference, winning 4-2 instead of drawing 3-3 makes a big difference.

I'm still trying to work out if I've developed a few leaks, or it is just variance messing with me. Or even maybe it was variance where all the earlier profit came from.

Anyway, I need to run really good for the rest of January to make these numbers a bit more respectable, as this has not been a great month so far.

I only have 3 sessions left, as I'm working the Show on both Tuesday & Thursday, so I'll try & get big sessions tonight, Wednesday & Friday. I'd rather win a little more, & play a little less, if need be, as profit is the key, but I'm convinced we need volume to dilute variance.

We shall see.

See you on the Tables tonight, & I hope you all had a grand weekend. 

PS - Am starting my thrice annual diet today, need to lose half a stone in 3 weeks. I can guarantee I will. Anyone wanna bet I don't?