You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014

Well I dodged a bullet there, eventually ending £14 up on the day, but once again, failing - by £1.94 - to get over the £1,000 mark. What a wonderfully challenging game poker is!

Anyway, the final game of the session was an £11er, & I needed to win it to be in profit for the session. Should be easy enough, right? Wrong.

In Level One, I ran my good two way Aces into one way Aces, but the board came a broadway straight, & my oppo got there, so I was left with 364 chips. Whoops.

The beauty about this happening in Level One is that there is time to recover, though some luck is needed, as well as patience. For some reason, this table was super-limpy, everyone limping in most hands, so I was able to squeeze a few times, & either get it though, or win the hand.

Soon, one player busted, then another, & I was still hanging in, bubble time, but I needed to make my move with care. I found my spot eventually, but shoving A-K-2-J into Aces was probably not wise, but I outdrew the Aces & was now chip-leader! Ironically, the big 2xUp was against the poor chap who had earlier busted my Aces with Aces.

A few more hands passed, then BOOM, I got over the line. Very satisfying.

The quest to get the 'Roll over £1,000 continues. At the current rate, it will be around August time. Next year.   
  • edited January 2014

Friday 17th January

Played 6

Won 1

Lost 5

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 5, won 1, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £28.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £4.75

REWARD POINTS = 35

BANKROLL at close of Play = £969.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,885 (= £18.85)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 290

Won 157

Lost 135

Win-rate, January, 54.14%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £112.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.39
  • edited January 2014

Shocker! It's barely possible to report a worse set of numbers than that. Yikes.

Don't think I did much wrong, I just got knocked about by variance. In one hilarious exit, I jammed a full stack with good Aces on a rainbow flop of K-Q-4, & got looked up by 2-5-7-J. Which got there. We need those calls of course, but that is supreme optimism!

So, the £1,000 threshold remains out of reach. I'll get there, eventually. Probably....

There was a rather annoying incident when a regular - a real-life acquaintance, with whom I get along fine - thought I was Customer Care, & wanted an answer to a bit of a chunter he was having about Sky Poker. I typed, "bear with me please, I am on 5 tables, it's a bit awkward". I might as well have been talking to a brick wall, he carried on regardless, lol. It was not even a closed question, it was an open question, & very complicated to answer. I doubt he intended to be so selfish as to ask the question in such awkward circumstances, I guess he just never thought. It was not even a time-precious question. 

Anyway, I had to turn the chat off eventually, I can't be doing with that at 9pm on a Friday evening. It did, I confess, rattle my cage a bit though.

Never mind, onwards & upwards/downwards, as we continue to try & breach the £1,000 barrier.

Enjoy your Saturday, whatever your plans.     

• edited January 2014

Saturday 18th January

Played 6

Won 1

Lost 5

Split....

£5.50 - Played 5, won 3, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £8.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.42

REWARD POINTS = 35

BANKROLL at close of Play = £961.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,920 (= £19.20)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 296

Won 160

Lost 138

Win-rate, January, 54.05%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £103.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.35
  • edited January 2014

Only a short session on Saturday, as I had a visitor, & nothing on Sunday as I was working.

Another losing day, too. No excuses, though sample size is small.

January has gone badly so far, & I'm not sure why. Think I need to increase my volume significantly, this should remove the excuse of variance.

So, Plan B is to try & fit in 150 Games in the next 6 days (average 25 per day) & aim to win 60% of them. That would leave me (excluding 2 Show nights) 4 days next week to press on.

We shall see..........

Hope you all had a great weekend. I spent my Sunday evening in a TV Studio, with this man. 

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Only a short session on Saturday, as I had a visitor, & nothing on Sunday as I was working. Another losing day, too. No excuses, though sample size is small.   January has gone badly so far, & I'm not sure why. Think I need to increase my volume significantly, this should remove the excuse of variance. So, Plan B is to try & fit in 150 Games in the next 6 days (average 25 per day) & aim to win 60% of them. That would leave me (excluding 2 Show nights) 4 days next week to press on. We shall see.......... Hope you all had a great weekend. I spent my Sunday evening in a TV Studio, with this man.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    a great show as usual tikay hope your week goes well
  • edited January 2014

Monday 20th January

Played 21

Won 15

Lost 6

Split....

£5.50 - Played 18, won 13, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 3, won 2, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £38.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.81

REWARD POINTS = 120

BANKROLL at close of Play = £999.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,040 (= £20.40)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 317

Won 175

Lost 144

Win-rate, January, 55.20%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £141.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.45
  • edited January 2014

Better.

Won the Game-Count 15-6, & booked a lovely £38 profit.

Had hoped to play 25 games minimum, but the traffic was a bit thin. Might struggle to reach 3,000 Reward Points now, but need to try, as it gives me a £15 bonus, which is a significant sum in the context of this little challenge.

Very pleased with the session though, I controlled  my stacks well & played OK.

Meanwhile, the elusive £1,000 remains........elusive! Current 'roll is a teasing £999.06. Yikes.

Hope to be on the tables later, though I left home at 4am this morning, & I'm up in Leeds Head Office now. As Captain Oates once said, I may be a while.......  

• edited January 2014
    Better. Won the Game-Count 15-6, & booked a lovely £38 profit. Had hoped to play 25 games minimum, but the traffic was a bit thin. Might struggle to reach 3,000 Reward Points now, but need to try, as it gives me a £15 bonus, which is a significant sum in the context of this little challenge.   Very pleased with the session though, I controlled  my stacks well & played OK. Meanwhile, the elusive £1,000 remains........elusive! Current 'roll is a teasing £999.06. Yikes. Hope to be on the tables later, though I left home at 4am this morning, & I'm up in Leeds Head Office now. As Captain Oates once said, I may be a while .......     
    Posted by Tikay10
    C'mon Tikay I was sure that you would get over the £1000 last night as I played 4 and managed to donate 4 losses to the cause. Note to self, stop getting all the money in the middle with 2 pairs and nut low draw against an overpair and no low draw, no low comes, the other card on the board pairs and I'm dead. Other than that I butchered about every hand I played. Multi tabling with holdem MTTs is not easy! Did OK in the ME though despite running badly at the crucial late stages, so that compensated me for my donation to your bankroll.

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : C'mon Tikay I was sure that you would get over the £1000 last night as I played 4 and managed to donate 4 losses to the cause. Note to self, stop getting all the money in the middle with 2 pairs and nut low draw against an overpair and no low draw, no low comes, the other card on the board pairs and I'm dead. Other than that I butchered about every hand I played. Multi tabling with holdem MTTs is not easy! Did OK in the ME though despite running badly at the crucial late stages, so that compensated me for my donation to your bankroll.  
    Posted by Enut
    Ha, yes, I thought I'd got over the £1,000 line, but when I finished playing & checked my Account I was just short. 

I lost an £11er early doors, & that made the difference. It was an odd game, but I thought I had it under control. One guy had half the chips, I had more than enough, & there were two shorties, so I was just keeping out of trouble.

But.....Mr Big Stack was limping in EVERY hand, & this totally destroys the Table dynamic, & of course he doubled both shorties up more than once.

Anyway, Mr Shortie - now Mr Medium  thank to Mr Big Stack Limper - just"made up" in the SB to my BB with blinds at a mighty 300-600. I had A-K-2-3 Double Suited, so potted it. He then called with A-J-4-5, so I had him all wrapped up, but he somehow scooped. It completely baffles my why someone would play a hand like that, to be honest, it's the daftest thing in daftville. Obv, bit disappointed that I lost the hand (& game) but in truth, we want him to play his hands like this all day & night, & twice on Sundays.

I was not especially watching you, but I saw you exit horribly in one game, & in another, you had a decent stack 4 handed, & (correctly imo) potted it with a nice 2 way hand, but walked smack-bang into good Aces & got felted. Some nights it goes that way. Tonight, you'll be just fine, & it will go the other way. 

Some nights it just goes like that, the only answer is to......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPhUr-T6UM
  • edited January 2014

Tuesday 21st January

Played 33

Won 18

Lost 15

Split....

£5.50 - Played 26, won 14, lost 12

£11.00 - Played 7, won 4, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £5.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.17

REWARD POINTS = 205

BANKROLL at close of Play = £993.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,245 (= £22.45)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 350

Won 193

Lost 159

Win-rate, January, 55.14%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £136.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.39
  • edited January 2014
    It's like a batsman in the "nervous nineties"!

(Not an England batsman of course, for them it's like the "twitchy twenties")

• edited January 2014

A £5.50 loss on the day sounds all rather routine & mundane, but nothing could be further from the truth, it was real harem-scarem stuff, & I've never had so much fun losing a fiver.

I manged to get myself in a proper big hole, having lost 10 of the first 15 (how that happen?), & was £35 down, so I had to really get my head in gear. I had been playing whilst loafing on the sofa, half watching Man C give West Ham another drubbing, but once I realised I was in a hole, I moved the set-up to the study, turned off all the distractions, & just totally focussed on trying to claw back some of the losses.

From then on in, I was HOTTTTTT, & won 12 of the last 14, including the last 9 on the bounce. It was like Piggott riding The Minstrel in the Derby, boom boom boom. Except he got there on the line, & I fell just short. Still, a £5.50 loss after all that was as good as it gets, & it was tremendous fun to go on a little heater.

LOTS of traffic last night, incredible I could play 33 PLO8 DYM's in a 3 or 4 hour session, very few sites can boast such liquidity in PLO8. Good banter on the Tables, too. Most of the big-name regulars were absent, but Whizzy, Macacgirl & Yammy joined late on, & Alexis played a bunch earlier in the evening. 

Have to say, it is a joy to share a table with macacgirl1, who plays the game so technically correct. On several occasions last night, there'd be FIVE limpers in a pot. Ugh. Never mind "value", I can't buy that, so I either folded, or Raised it up. On one occasion, FIVE players limped into my BB, so I potted it. Every single one flat-called me. Go figure, what is THAT about? Your hand is only worth limping with, but when it gets 5x'd, you can still call?! Yikes, I must have read the wrong books. I'm not complaining, like, but it is rather sad to see. 

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Nope, still not reached the magic £1,000. Pfft. One day...........      

• edited January 2014
    It's like a batsman in the "nervous nineties"! (Not an England batsman of course, for them it's like the "twitchy twenties")
    Posted by FCHD
    Dead right, I've gone all jittery!

If it were a England batsman, I think it'd more likely be the nervous nines, never mind nineties or twenties.....
  • edited January 2014
    Sort it out Sky !!!
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    VespaPX Small blind   300.00 300.00 1385.00
    tikay1 Big blind   600.00 900.00 3590.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

terry1959 Fold        
    vagasbin Fold        
    VespaPX All-in   1385.00 2285.00 0.00
    tikay1 Call   1085.00 3370.00 2505.00
    VespaPX Show
    • K

tikay1 Show
    • Q
    • A
    • J

Flop

• A

Turn

• A

River

VespaPX Win high Straight to the 7 1685.00   1685.00
    VespaPX Win low 6-low 1685.00   3370.00
  • edited January 2014

I got a right haul of Reward Points last night, 205, think that is the most I've ever got midweek, except when they have "Double Reward" weeks.

I should just about be OK to get over 3,000 for January now, so that's quite a relief. I have 8 nights left when I am available to play, & need 755 points, so I just need to average close to 100 Reward points per session. Should be easy, as easy as getting the 'roll over £1,000.....  

• edited January 2014
    Sort it out Sky !!! Player Action Cards Amount Pot Balance VespaPX Small blind   300.00 300.00 1385.00 tikay1 Big blind   600.00 900.00 3590.00   Your hole cards 10 K 4 3       terry1959 Fold         vagasbin Fold         VespaPX All-in   1385.00 2285.00 0.00 tikay1 Call   1085.00 3370.00 2505.00 VespaPX Show 10 K 4 3       tikay1 Show 9 Q A J       Flop     7 A 6       Turn     A       River     5       VespaPX Win high Straight to the 7 1685.00   1685.00 VespaPX Win low 6-low 1685.00   3370.00
    Posted by VespaPX
    Ha!

I thought your play was correct there - you had to make a move, & you had a two-way hand. I think we really do need to have a two-way hand when we make the old kamikaze shove.

I rarely call in such spots, and I'm not sure I liked my call there, think it was pretty marginal to be honest, but it just "felt" right. Calling with a one way hand, tut tut.......

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! I thought your play was correct there - you had to make a move, & you had a two-way hand. I think we really do need to have a two-way hand when we make the old kamikaze shove. I rarely call in such spots, and I'm not sure I liked my call there, think it was pretty marginal to be honest, but it just "felt" right. Calling with a one way hand, tut tut.......     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I was a bit suprised by your call tbh but not complaining about the result !
    I've potted lesser hands before against people i expect to fold but they do call sometimes.
    Gl at the tables Sir
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah the call does look somewhat marginal, not too sure if it's correct or not. Tikay needs 32% equity but ofc because this is a DYM we have to factor in ICM. My general rule of thumb is that I want at least 10% more equity than the BE equity. (but this % can vary depending on our chip stack and whether or not we can pass up on this spot and easily cash. If tikay had passed up on this spot he'd be in no immediate danger of going out and would still have a v good chance of cashing. Whereas calling now has the potential to win the DYM right then - but if we lose we're right in the mix of it again.

So based on all that I think 10% more than BE equity is OK and so we need 42% to call. Against a 15% range of hands we have 42.81% and so calling would be marginally correct. If he's shoving a tighter range then I think we can pass up on the spot. A looser range and it becomes a clearer call. 
  • edited January 2014
    Yeah the call does look somewhat marginal, not too sure if it's correct or not. Tikay needs 32% equity but ofc because this is a DYM we have to factor in ICM. My general rule of thumb is that I want at least 10% more equity than the BE equity. (but this % can vary depending on our chip stack and whether or not we can pass up on this spot and easily cash. If tikay had passed up on this spot he'd be in no immediate danger of going out and would still have a v good chance of cashing. Whereas calling now has the potential to win the DYM right then - but if we lose we're right in the mix of it again. So based on all that I think 10% more than BE equity is OK and so we need 42% to call. Against a 15% range of hands we have 42.81% and so calling would be marginally correct. If he's shoving a tighter range then I think we can pass up on the spot. A looser range and it becomes a clearer call. 
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Luckily Tikay was able to do all these calculations in his head before calling, sadly he was not rewarded for his superior brain power on this occasion.
  • edited January 2014
    SPOILER ALERT  ******  SPOILER ALERT  ******   SPOILER ALERT  ******  SPOILER ALERT  ******

CONGRATULATIONS Tikay, Can you lend me £1,000 ?? Ha ha
  • edited January 2014
    SPOILER ALERT  ******  SPOILER ALERT  ******   SPOILER ALERT  ******  SPOILER ALERT  ****** CONGRATULATIONS Tikay, Can you lend me £1,000 ?? Ha ha
    Posted by Enut
    ;)

Supposing it all went wrong in the last hour, & I failed to get over the line?........

Sorry to see you met with some rudeness in the Chat Box last night. The chap concerned does not usually play these, so I don't know if that was his normal manner. You seemed to handle it fine, so I kept out of it, but I did really have to resist the urge to say to the chap that what you were doing was engaging in an increasingly rare thing known, I gather, as conversation

If he did not want to chat - or know how to - fine, he can ignore, or turn chat off. Why the need for such rudeness is competely beyond me.

I hope, that episode apart, you had an enjoyable evening.   
  • edited January 2014

Wednesday 22nd January

Played 22

Won 16

Lost 6

Split....

£5.50 - Played 18, won 14, lost 4

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £37.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.68

REWARD POINTS = 130

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,030.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,375 (= £23.75)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 372

Won 209

Lost 165

Win-rate, January, 56.18%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £173.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.47
  • edited January 2014
                            BOOM !

Congratulations Sir.

Just as an aside i only dropped in for a couple of £2 games but experienced both ends of the poker spectrum.

1. Had my first ever Royal Flush

2. Won a hand with Ace high (which must be unheard of in Omaha).

Onwards and upwards.
  • edited January 2014
    Well done Mr K!! Brilliant achievement

(Hope this doesnt mean the end to this thread) 

See you at the tables

;)

Mother
    xx