You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014

Friday 10th January

Played 15

Won 9

Lost 6

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 10, won 5, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £20.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.33

REWARD POINTS = 100

BANKROLL at close of Play = £940.81

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,541 (= £15.41)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 233

Won 123

Lost 110

Win-rate, November, 52.79%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £85.32

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.37
  • edited January 2014

A better day, & not before time.

Just ran better, no more or less to it than that.

Was over £40 up after 10 games, but then lost 4 from 5 to mess the numbers up. I was very tired, had been a long long day, up at 4am & had to drive up to the Midlands & back, & I started making silly mistakes, so decided to draw stumps after 15 Games & lock up a bit of profit. Think it was a good decision, nothing more daft than dumping money off due to tiredness & mistakes.

Will have a longer session today, I hope. Got a lot of ground to make up, Jsanuary is not going well. 

Good liquidity though, plenty of games, plenty of new faces. Like.

1,500+ Reward Points is OK (for me), at this stage of the month.Need to get 3,000 Minimum, to get the bonus rate of 1.5p, should get there OK.  

Have a great Saturday, whatever you do.   

• edited January 2014

Saturday 11th January

Played 7

Won 7

Lost 0

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 5, won 5, lost 0

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £33.25

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £4.75

REWARD POINTS = 38

BANKROLL at close of Play = £974.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,579 (= £15.79)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 240

Won 130

Lost 110

Win-rate, January, 54.17%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £118.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.49
  • edited January 2014

BOOM!

Played 7, Won 7.

Only a short session, had things to do, but ran wonderfully.

The win rate is inching back up, but at 54%, still has a long way to go before it becomes respectable. Last month it was 60%.

The profit per game for January is now £0.49, which is just fine, I'd be very happy to make that over the month, especially if I can up the volume.

Thursday was a disaster, when I lost £43.50, but Friday & Saturday made a combined £53, so the graph is heading north again.

• edited January 2014
    Hi Tikay

I've been on Sky a while now but really haven't visited the forum a lot until recently, hence I have only just found this thread. I have now spent the last few days reading it from start to finish, (I'm a slow reader!)

Can I just say thanks very much for writing it. I have certainly learnt a bit and was unaware that I was so poor at HiLo DYMs until I read your musings.

Your record keeping also takes me back a few years to my BS era, (BS = Before Sky, if you see people use it in the chat box that's what it means, honest), when I used to keep very accurate records of all the tourneys I played. I had it down to a fine art and knew exactly what types and levels I was profitable at. I don't play anywhere near as much now, mostly due to ear ache from my other half whenever I play for too long, but have enjoyed a couple fo STTs with you and the others. If I get a chance I will play some more soon.

So thanks again for your postings and all your work on Sky. I have to say you and Anna are just hilarious entertainment and you do well to turn anything with Orford in it into a moderately tolerable program.

• edited January 2014

Sunday 12th January

Played 10

Won 7

Lost 3

Split....

£5.50 - Played 6, won 4, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 4, won 3, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £23.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £2.30

REWARD POINTS = 70

BANKROLL at close of Play = £997.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,649 (= £16.49)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 250

Won 137

Lost 113

Win-rate, January, 54.80%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £138.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.55
  • edited January 2014
    I saw you had regged a £11 DYM yesterday I think it was and I thought I'd play one for old time sake!! But when the table loaded I realised you had vanished. I demand answers! I hope you weren't too scared after I had decided to register ;)

I cashed it in as well though, probably made easier by you not being there :)
  • edited January 2014

Feel like a batsman, on 99 runs. The 'roll is now within touching distance of £1,000 (£997.06) but I've got all nervous & jittery. Daft really, it's just a number, but I can't help myself.

Another short session, too, I was not concentrating properly, & made a daft, unforced, error, just when I was on a 12 timer (over 3 seperate days, lol), & so I decided to draw stumps, & watch the NFL properly instead.

Concentration is so important, & yet hardly anyone seems to mention it. Maybe it is just me. It makes me so cross when I make unforced errors. If I had got away with it, I'd not even have thought about it. I did not, though, & it proper ruffled my feathers.

Anyway, that apart, won 7 from 10, & ticked up a handy £23 profit in a short session. That'll do nicely, tyvm.

The January Win Rate is slowly recovering from a bad start, bit by bit, & the profit per game, at £0.55, is not far off where I think it should be. I think, given my abilities, I can't expect more than £0.60 per game, & a 57% or 58% Win Rate, but that'd do nicely.

Fun session.

Will try & play a proper session tonight, as I'll be mostly unable to play tomorrow or Wednesday, as I'm doing some UKPC work which will keep me offline all day, both days.

Maybe see a few of you later.    

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I saw you had regged a £11 DYM yesterday I think it was and I thought I'd play one for old time sake!! But when the table loaded I realised you had vanished. I demand answers! I hope you weren't too scared after I had decided to register ;) I cashed it in as well though, probably made easier by you not being there :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Ha!

Correct, sort of.

I was regged for an £11 & a £5.50, but I had made a bad error in the game I was playing, & I realised my head was not in the right place, so I just withdrew from the two I'd regged for. Was pretty sure you'd notice, & comment, too. You should be a policeman......

PS - Stop bottom-hunting me, & I'll stop hitting & running. Deal?

PPS - Don't go away, interesting discussion about Omaha hand strength incoming.
  • edited January 2014

I had 3 Tables on the go, & a chap I play regularly got into a debate about a hand he played. In fact, he never played it, he folded when I jammed on him, & after that, the debate began.

Hope people don't think I'm rude, but I just can't cope with 3 or 4 Tables, & at the same time, enter into a lengthy debate about hand strengths. The chatbox is hardly an ideal platform to have such a chat, anyway. And I'm a bit old.

Anyway......The chap said "I folded a very strong hand for you", & then told me the hand, & a bit of a debate ensued. So I said I'd Post my views on here, & hopefully, he'll come along, read it, & contribute. I am NOT speaking behind his back, not at all, & I did tell him that I would express my views on the hand in this thread.

Remember - the game was PLO8.

So, the hand......

• edited January 2014

The hand the Gent passed was......

K-K-9-4 (double suited).

I stated that this was not in my Top 500 PLO8 Hands, but I need to explain WHY.

Not sure where to begin, really, so I'll just list some random thoughts. These are just my personal opinion.

1) It has no low back up. I want two hands ideally, a High, & a Low. Don't go to war with one.

2) The cards do not work together, it is effectively a 1 pair hand. 1 pair hands in Omaha & PLO8 are not so good.....

3) Yes, he had 2 suits, but suited does not add much equity. In addition, neither of the flush draws were nut draws. This is Omaha. We want nut draws. 

4) There was no Ace in the hand. An Ace is incredibly powerful in PLO8, though another low card with it helps.

5) In Omaha & PLO8, (ideally) we need cards that work together. These 4 cards don't even know each other, the 2 Kings excepted. . 

6) The 4 is a completely dead card. We may as well play with 3 cards - it adds nothing to our hand.

7) The 9 is almost a dead card, short of a 10-J-Q flop, & even then we'd hate life if someone bet into us, as we only have a bad straight. 

8) We should always DISCOUNT 7's, 8's & 9's in our hand, especially in combos. They are called "killer cards", & are almost impossible to scoop with, or hold the high OR Low nuts with. They make nut-bad lows, & nut-bad highs. They are non-scoopers. If you see someone get to showdown with (something like) 7-8-9-9, you know they are a PLO player, NOT a PLO8 player. 

That apart, I quite like K-K-9-4. ;)

Seriously, for me, it goes straight in the muck, pre-flop, I would not even make up the SB with it in Level One. It can only get us in trouble, a bit like the flirty girl next door. 

I do need to expand on "cards that work together" though.

More follows......    

• edited January 2014

WARNING - This is for COMPLETE NEWBIES, or inexperienced PLO players, so look away now if you already understand 4 card logic.

This works for both PLO, & PLO8, but these notes apply to PLO ONLY, as PLO8 needs a lot of tweaking, as some cards in our hand work both ways, & we are playing for TWO pots, not one. Two completely different pots. It uses the same logic though. 

*                          *                           *                               *

With 4 cards, but we can only use two, we can break our 4 cards into SIX completely seperate 2 card hands. Let us imagine the 4 cards are called, with great originality, A, B, C, & D.

So our potential hands can contain the following combos.

A-B

A-C

A-D

B-C

B-D. 

C-D

So, SIX potential combos.

A good starting point is to muck, pre-flop, any 4 card starting hand that does not include THREE playable two card hands.

Now, let us use real cards.

We have, let us say.....

A-K-Q-Q.

We will ignore suits for the moment, as they don't have much pre-flop equity.

So, break that into 2 card hands, as if you were playing NLH, & how many of those hands would you go to war with in NLH? Let us break them into 2 card hands.

Q-Q

A-K

A-Q

A-Q

K-Q

K-Q

You'd play all of them, right? Yup. Great hand. 

A better hand.....

A-A-K-K

Gives us.....

A-A

K-K

A-K

A-K

A-K

A-K

Nice.

Now a more sensible example.

J-J-10-9

Becomes.....

J-J

J-10

J-10

J-9

J-9

10-9

Not too bad, we might consider at least 3 of them as playable.

Now one more random had. Well almost random.

K-K-9-4

Becomes....

K-K

K-9

K-9

K-4

K-4

9-4

How many playable NLH hands can you make out of those six? Yup, one, unless you are Matt Bates or Tommy D, & wanna go to war with K-9. 

So that is the basis of how we should analyse our pre-flop starting hand strength. All IMO, of course.

PS - Remember - this is aimed at newbies only. When I began playing PLO, I used to physically count the 2 card starting hands, but over time, you soon get to know them instinctively.

Remember, we want -

cards that work together 

• edited January 2014
    Hi Tikay I've been on Sky a while now but really haven't visited the forum a lot until recently, hence I have only just found this thread. I have now spent the last few days reading it from start to finish, (I'm a slow reader!) Can I just say thanks very much for writing it. I have certainly learnt a bit and was unaware that I was so poor at HiLo DYMs until I read your musings. Your record keeping also takes me back a few years to my BS era, (BS = Before Sky, if you see people use it in the chat box that's what it means, honest), when I used to keep very accurate records of all the tourneys I played. I had it down to a fine art and knew exactly what types and levels I was profitable at. I don't play anywhere near as much now, mostly due to ear ache from my other half whenever I play for too long, but have enjoyed a couple fo STTs with you and the others. If I get a chance I will play some more soon. So thanks again for your postings and all your work on Sky. I have to say you and Anna are just hilarious entertainment and you do well to turn anything with Orford in it into a moderately tolerable program.  
    Posted by Enut
    Ooh, thank you very much Mr Enut.

Well for starters, we can wholly agree about Orford. Not even mildly tolerable, imo.

Anna? All joking apart, what you see is what you get, she is THE most lovely person, & an absolute dream to work with, & I'm very lucky to do so. Don't tell her I said so though.

Record-keeping? At one time, I kept a database of every poker session I had ever had, Live or Online. But my Lappie got stolen, & I'd not backed up my data, so that was that. But yes, I'm passionate & a shade geeky about keeping records of these things. It definitely helps my game, too, as it gives me targets.

One thing which you always do at the start of a PLO8 DYM - & so do many others - is wishing everyone good luck. I love that. I try not to chat much whilst playing Online, as I struggle to cope, but I do think that is rather a nice thing. You will see people say on this Community - they don't mean it. But they do. They do.  People either get that, or they don't. It matters not. Those that do, do, those that don't, don't.

That warmth & friendliness is a huge part of PLO8, too, whether played Online, or Live. Part of the attraction to me. 

Thanks again for your kind comments.    

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I will ask, Churchy, but I can't promise they will agree, demand would be miniscule.
    Posted by Tikay10
    ty tikay must have missed this the other day.
  • edited January 2014
    "One thing which you always do at the start of a PLO8 DYM - & so do many others - is wishing everyone good luck. I love that. I try not to chat much whilst playing Online, as I struggle to cope, but I do think that is rather a nice thing. You will see people say on this Community - they don't mean it . But they do. They do.  People either get that, or they don't. It matters not. Those that do, do, those that don't, don't."
    Posted by Tikay

I try to be polite. I got told off the other day for typing 'sry' in the chat box when I outdrew someone when they had me dominated. I can't see the problem with that yet apparently it is not right to apologise, putting 'unlucky' is OK but not 'sry'. Each to their own.
  • edited January 2014
    Maybe it wasn't taken kindly to because sry is not a word. Sorry is though ;)

@ Tikay: Yeah the detective in me correctly assumed you had just decided to give up the day! I mean, who wouldn't want to join a PLO game with some value (me?) playing!!

re. KK94... agreed, it isn't a very good hand at all. The only time I'd consider playing it would be is if I got very short and was the first in the pot. Just with a quick mess around of propokertools I can see that even if you are raising 50% of hands tikay (almost as likely as TommyD folding a hand on the button) then KK94ds is STILL a 47.39% equity dog.
  • edited January 2014
    You are perfectly correct, 'sry' is not a word.

What I should have typed was 'I am terribly sorry good sir (or lady), I was treated very kindly by the poker gods during the last hand and, due to the positive side of variance, my ace of diamonds and jack of hearts ended up winning against your ace of spades and king of hearts. This was quite fortuitous, for which I extend my humble apologies.' However life is too short and I simply typed 'sry'. Sry.
  • edited January 2014
    Things like "ul" or "wp" do bug me slightly, How much more effort is to type something in real English. "thx" is another one. There isn't even an "x" in "thanks".
  • edited January 2014
    Things like "ul" or "wp" do bug me slightly, How much more effort is to type something in real English. "thx" is another one. There isn't even an "x" in "thanks".
    Posted by FCHD
    I'm usually multi tabling and this, when combined with my very slow brain, normally means I abbreviate. My view is something is better than nothing. I did see someone really throw his rattle out of the pram once because he thought ul meant U Lose and that the guy who had knocked him out was rubbing it in! It was hysterical. He was most apologetic when it was explained.
  • edited January 2014

Morning all.

Been a bit remiss with Updates, first time I've not updated daily since I began, but I've been away on 861 & UKPC business for a few days. I planned to play in my Hotel room on Tuesday evening, & paid £7.50 (!) for Internet Access. Which did not work......

Anyway, I have Monday's results to Update.

• edited January 2014

Monday 13th January

Played 19

Won 9

Lost 10

Split....

£5.50 - Played 14, won 6, lost 8

£11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £12.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.63

REWARD POINTS = 120

BANKROLL at close of Play = £985.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,764 (= £17.64)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 269

Won 148

Lost 123

Win-rate, January, 55.01%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £126.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.47
  • edited January 2014

On the very cusp of breaking the £1,000 barrier, I seem to be wading through treacle, & I can't get over the line. It really is like a batsman in the nervous nineties. Makes no sense at all, it is all between my ears, but that's how it is.  

I keep making little, silly, unforced errors, & seem to have lost a bit of discipline. In these things, discipline is maybe THE most important thing, along with solid PLO8 technique, & an understanding of DYM techniques.

Anyway, maybe the little break will do me good, serve as a wake up call.

I'm behind target & December's numbers, on every KPI, so it's time to man up & sort myself out.

I have just 11 nights left in January when I'll be able to play, so I now need to up the volume, concentration, & self-discipline. I've even sent myself a Memo. Do try harder.

• edited January 2014
    Good luck
    I may see you on the felt later
  • edited January 2014

Thursday 16th January

Played 15

Won 8

Lost 7

Split....

£2.25 - Played 2, won 0, Lost 2

£5.50 - Played 11, won 6, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 2, won 2, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £14.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.93

REWARD POINTS = 86

BANKROLL at close of Play = £998.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,850 (= £18.50)
  • edited January 2014

January to date....

Played 284

Won 156

Lost 130

Win-rate, January, 54.93%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £140.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.49
  • edited January 2014

Refreshed after a few days absence, I really focussed hard last night, determined to get back on track, & improve the batting averages.......and promptly lost the first 7 games on the bounce, to go £29 down.

........and then won the next 8, to finish in profit!