You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited January 2014
    BUMP!  #justsaying
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    BUMP!  #justsaying
    Posted by Glenelg
    Ha!

VERY busy right now Pad, but I'll try to Update later today. I am working the Show again tonight, 3rd night in 5, & I'm pleasantly occupied with UKPC stuff, too.

Updates resume later, hopefully before I lose all my money. It might be a close run thing, a major downswing is in progress. ;)

• edited January 2014
    OK fed up now, i feel like some kind of stalker when i keep checking to see whether this post has been updated, so write all you want Mr K but i will not read it!!!

Mother

PS I may check in 5 minutes but thats it no more...
    ;)
    xx
  • edited January 2014

Ha, behave Mother.

Will try & get back up to speed this weekend.

Cliffs - Lost a ton of money last two sessions, mainly due to Lappie problems.
  • edited January 2014
    "Lost a ton of money last two sessions, mainly due to Lappie problems."

Tikay, if you have a word with Support I am sure they will help you out!
  • edited January 2014
    "Lost a ton of money last two sessions, mainly due to Lappie problems." Tikay, if you have a word with Support I am sure they will help you out!
    Posted by Enut
    Oooh!

Nah, the probs were my end.

Seems to me very few people seem to understand the complexities of the internet. There's a lot of pipes, conduits, servers, routers & fresh air between one end & t'other, & responsibility for different parts sits with different parties.

It is, of course, very inconvenient when we lose a few bob of our poker money because the connection drops out. I was watching a "Water Aid" advert the other day, young kids in Africa have to WALK 7 miles every day just to fetch water to drink & bathe in. Guess that is inconvenient, too.    

• edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oooh! Nah, the probs were my end.   Seems to me very few people seem to understand the complexities of the internet. There's a lot of pipes, conduits, servers, routers & fresh air between one end & t'other, & responsibility for different parts sits with different parties.   It is, of course, very inconvenient when we lose a few bob of our poker money because the connection drops out. I was watching a "Water Aid" advert the other day, young kids in Africa have to WALK 7 miles every day just to fetch water to drink & bathe in. Guess that is inconvenient, too.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes we really have it very, very good if the worst of our gripes is losing a few quid on a poker table. Sadly I got home from work 1/2 hour ago to find the house in darkness and no sign of my other half. She has just turned up to tell me she's been next door for the last 2 hours as she found our neighbour dead this afternoon. A lovely old lady who spent all her time looking after her dogs, cats, pot bellied pigs and tortoises. She had a damn good innings but I'm still upset about it. Sorry, bit of a thread hijack.  
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Oooh! Nah, the probs were my end.   Seems to me very few people seem to understand the complexities of the internet. There's a lot of pipes, conduits, servers, routers & fresh air between one end & t'other, & responsibility for different parts sits with different parties.   It is, of course, very inconvenient when we lose a few bob of our poker money because the connection drops out. I was watching a "Water Aid" advert the other day, young kids in Africa have to WALK 7 miles every day just to fetch water to drink & bathe in. Guess that is inconvenient, too.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    This, this and only this.
  • edited January 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Yes we really have it very, very good if the worst of our gripes is losing a few quid on a poker table. Sadly I got home from work 1/2 hour ago to find the house in darkness and no sign of my other half. She has just turned up to tell me she's been next door for the last 2 hours as she found our neighbour dead this afternoon. A lovely old lady who spent all her time looking after her dogs, cats, pot bellied pigs and tortoises. She had a damn good innings but I'm still upset about it. Sorry, bit of a thread hijack.  
    Posted by Enut
    omg
    commiserations to all involved
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : omg commiserations to all involved
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks Geldy, it was bit of a shock for my other half, it was the first time she had seen a dead person. Looks like the old lady had a stroke or heart attack, probably died instantly, which is they way she would have wanted it. She was 82 but we thought she would go on for ever.

ANYWAY, onwards and upwards, come on Tikay, give us a progress report. I know I donated 3 out of 4 at £11 to you last night. Let's hope you are an upswing now.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Geldy, it was bit of a shock for my other half, it was the first time she had seen a dead person. Looks like the old lady had a stroke or heart attack, probably died instantly, which is they way she would have wanted it. She was 82 but we thought she would go on for ever. ANYWAY, onwards and upwards, come on Tikay, give us a progress report. I know I donated 3 out of 4 at £11 to you last night. Let's hope you are an upswing now.
    Posted by Enut
    Oh my, that must have been just awful for Mrs Enut.

The first newly deceased person I ever saw was my Dad, & I can tell you, that moment has stayed with me ever since, 30 years on. I remember just staring at him, wondering why he did not respond to me, the penny refused to drop. He was in Hossie, & the patient in the next bed had to explain it to me. Seems ridiculous, but some things you just can't bring to believe. It all sounbds a bit dreadful, but in a weird way, it was a lovely moment. Another story, for another day.    

At least she went quickly, &, one hopes, without suffering.

RIP.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Geldy, it was bit of a shock for my other half, it was the first time she had seen a dead person. Looks like the old lady had a stroke or heart attack, probably died instantly, which is they way she would have wanted it. She was 82 but we thought she would go on for ever. ANYWAY, onwards and upwards, come on Tikay, give us a progress report. I know I donated 3 out of 4 at £11 to you last night. Let's hope you are an upswing now.
    Posted by Enut
    Yes, I will try & get up to date today.

It has to be said, when we are winning, we can't wait to Update, when we are losing, not so much. Harsh, but true.

To be fair, I've been incredibly busy, & fatigued, this week, with 3 Shows in 5 nights, & in the Studio again tomorrow evening, too.

I also need to do the big "Month End" Update, too.

The further I get behind with Updating, the worse it gets, of course, & I've had the same problems in some other, non-Sky, areas of my life this week, too. So many things to do, so little time......

Will try & get started shortly.
  • edited February 2014

I've only played 3 nights this week, due to work, but I'll Update each, in order, next......
  • edited February 2014

Monday 27th January

Played 31

Won 13

Lost 18

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 23, won 8, lost 15

£11.00 - Played 8, won 5, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £25.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.82

REWARD POINTS = 190

BANKROLL at close of Play = £908.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,195 (= £47.93)
  • edited February 2014

January to date....

Played 502

Won 269

Lost 235

Win-rate, January, 53.59%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £50.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.10
  • edited February 2014

Monday

Was all revved up for a good session, & had 5 games going within 10 minutes, & was regged for 2 others. And then it happened - POWER CUT!

Jeez, my head was spinning. It did not last long, but by then, I'd blinded out in 4 of the 5 Games, & was low stack in the two I'd regged for, so I was £30 down before I started.

Even so, I can't hide from the fact I only won 8 out of 23 @ £5.50, & it was just as well I won 5 from 8 @ £11, to rescue me from a much worse evening.

I could never get "settled" in my mind after the power cut, & I ought to have been able to put it out of my mind, what is done is done, nothing to be gained from thinking about it.

The one bright spot in the session was that I went past the 3,000 Reward point threshold, so my Reward Point Dividend magically improved by 50%. Made more from that than actually playing, lol.

No play Tuesday, due to work, but Wednesday will be great, it is bound to be, right? 
  • edited February 2014

Wednesday 29th January

Played 27

Won 12

Lost 15

Split....

£5.50 - Played 20, won 10, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 7, won 2, Lost 5

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £27.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.00

REWARD POINTS = 170

BANKROLL at close of Play = £881.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,365 (= £50.47)
  • edited February 2014

January to date....

Played 529

Won 281

Lost 250

Win-rate, January, 53.12%

PROFIT/LOSS in December,
    £23.07

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.04
  • edited February 2014

WEDNESDAY

Unbelievably, Wednesday began worse than Monday.

All regged up, & 5 Tables on the go, when Rob Yong called me, about some urgent UKPC stuff. And the call went on. And on. And on.

I tried to concentrate, but it was awkward stuff, we were trying to sort a UKPC thing (a good thing) & I just could not spin both plates - or rather, 6 plates.

Anyway, was £30 behind before the call ended, losing 5 of the first 6, & I could never get my head in the right place after that, & made a series of unforced errors, trying to force it I think. You just can't force it, unless you get very lucky.

The realisation that January would be a shocker eventually dawned upon me, too.

Mental fortitude, mettle, strength in adversity, all these things come into play when the going gets tough, & I was pretty disappointed at how I dealt with it. At least I recognized it, though.

Anyway, no play Thursday, did the Show, so it's fast forward to Friday, to try to finish January with a bang. Maybe.....  

• edited February 2014

Friday 31st January

Played 15

Won 8

Lost 7

Split....

£5.50 - Played 6, won 4, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 9, won 4, Lost 5

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £4.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.30

REWARD POINTS = 105

BANKROLL at close of Play = £886.05

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,470 (= £52.05)
  • edited February 2014

January (COMPLETED)....

Played 537

Won 289

Lost 257

Win-rate, January, 53.82%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £27.57

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.05
  • edited February 2014
    Friday 31st January Played 15 Won 8 Lost 7 Split.... £2.25 - Played 0, won 0 , Lost 0 £5.50 - Played 6, won 4 , lost 2 £11.00 - Played 9, won 4 , Lost 5 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £4.50 PROFIT/ LOSS per game £0.30 REWARD POINTS = 105 BANKROLL at close of Play = £886.05 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,470 (= £52.05)
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not to argue with your maths but a profit for the day?
  • edited February 2014
     Headphones on listening to music la la la lah, not reading la la la la not peeping through my fingers to look la la la la, still not looking la la la, er just a little peep then la la la nooooooooooooooo read it all - damn you Kendall!!!

;)

xx
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not to argue with your maths but a profit for the day?
    Posted by belsibub
    Ooh, I have an Auditor, good spot!

You are right, too, an analysis of those 15 games suggests I LOST £2, not won £4.50, so I'll amend the Post shortly.

However........

The "Bankroll" figure I quote daily is the ACTUAL Bankroll at close of play. I've just checked it, & it is definitely £886.05, which is £4.50 higher than it was after the previous session, unless I logged the closing balance incorrectly on Wednesday.

I've checked the 15 Games I played, & the results are exactly as reported - which would mean a £4.50 loss.

Have to assume I logged an Incorrect Closing balance on the previous session.

For the OVERALL, & JANUARY figures, the closing balances have to be the correct means of measurement, so when I do the Monthly Rerport for January, they'll reflect the actual opening & closing Balances.

I can only assume that the numbers for Wednesday were incorrect, or maybe even Monday?

If you can spot where the error has arisen, I'd be most grateful, as I like the numbers to be just so.     
  • edited February 2014

FRIDAY

Wow, I finished with a winning day!

Oh wait, no I did not.......

Sums up January that, I even messed the numbers up.

Anyway.......

Determined to finish January with a bang, I promptly lost 4 of the first 4, & made mistakes in every one, too.

Just standard stuff, which I ought to avoid. Raise with good Aces into 5 Limpers, get one call, comes 10-2-2. Standard play here is to C-Bet, as 90% of the time, opponents call Raises with Low only hands, which is bizarre but true. So a C-Bet gets the job done. My man checked to me, I C-Bet, & he came over the top, lol. He has the 2, right? Obvious really, but I was a non-believer, & I had some back doors. 

He had the very reasonable A-Q-10-2, so he had flopped the boat, lol. I had Double Suited with the A-3-4 for the Low, so I was in a bit of a mess. 

Several other similar mistakes followed, just careless play on my part, being able to fold when clearly beat is key.

Later, I saw a really inexplicable play, when I button-raised with A-K-2-3 with Big Blinds & 4 handed, & got looked up by xxx who had 6 Bigs (plenty) & the extraordinary K-8-5-2. Explain that to me, but I'll take that all day & night. We can RAISE with poo like that when we are in shove-mode, but not sure Caling is ever a long term profitable play.

Anyway, I was just not feeling it, most unlike me, I normally play until the games dry up, but my head was in the wrong place, so I decided to quit after 15 games, & had an early night, & then promptly fell asleep on the sofa, & never woke up until 3am, freezing cold, with chin-dribble galore. 

I'll do the full January Report, in all it's glory, later.      
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not to argue with your maths but a profit for the day?
    Posted by belsibub
    My maths(not a strong point)

played 6 £5.50=£33 won 4=£40 profit=£7
    played 9 £11=£99 won 4=£80 loss=£19
    over all=£12 loss
  • edited February 2014

Normal service will resume shortly.

Cliffs - Lost on Feb 1, won on Feb 2.

Tonight - very shortly, I shall mainly be winning.*

* T & C's apply.

I'll be up for a session tonight, if anyone fancies some easy money.

• edited February 2014

BUMP.

Thought this needed bringing to the front, just in case you could not find it.
  • edited February 2014
    NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes i did put that many !!!!!!!!!!!!! as its important, now when we talk of aggregate once would assume we are talking football over 2 legs but no no no, ive found out aggregate is about concrete.

Il let mr kendall explain..........
  • edited February 2014
    NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes i did put that many !!!!!!!!!!!!! as its important, now when we talk of aggregate once would assume we are talking football over 2 legs but no no no, ive found out aggregate is about concrete. Il let mr kendall explain..........
    Posted by seppe
    Quite right Seppe!

Aggregate is the binding agent in concrete. Usually ballast, or even pea shingle, but it is the equivalent of flour in a cake, without it, the finished product is no good. Concrete is composed of cement, water, & aggregate.

Mortar, of course, as used in brickwork, only uses sand as the aggregate, but I'm sure everyone knew that. But it is important to distinguish between concrete & mortar.