You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Good banter, Tikay. Now: Have you sorted my Top of the Posts PM yet?!!!!!! Multiple exclamation points, because I know you love them. And - being a writer - you know how much I detest them.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Well reminded, thanks Susan.

I did send a note upstairs to set it up, but then needed a date from Rainman, & plum forgot about it, sorry.

Will get back in the case today.
  • edited February 2014

Apologies for lack of Updates this week (they will follow next) & not yet answering those questions/comments from Macacgirl, Alexis & MP33.

I played Monday, did the Show on Tuesday, & then played again last night. I was terribly fatigued yesterday, more mentally than physically, so much going on at the moment, & I ended up finishing last night's session early, so I could get an early night. I was not playing well, either. 

I'm up against it to get 3,000 Reward Points this month, due to it being a short month, & I have to spend a week up at the UKPC.

So the plan was to play every night this week, Wednesday to Sunday, to rack up some Reward Ponts, as I can generate around 1,000 in 5 days. Then, out of the blue, they asked me to do tonight's Show (Thursday) as Ryan, who was booked, is unwell.

I'm delighted, as Rob Yong of DTD is a Guest tonight, & he is a close friend, & has been for many a year (long before Sky Poker were born), so that's good, but it means I miss another pokler session (200+ points), & of course I'll be mentally wrecked again on Friday. The Shows are tremendous fun, even after 7 years, but you really have to be mentally sharp to be on "Live" for 5 hours. One slip of the tongue, & everyone is on the case, of course. 

UKPC is now less than a week away, never had such a mix of emotions, excitement, fear, stress, anticipation, worrying about this & that. Very excited, though, as all the signs are good.

OK, the numbers for Monday & Wednesday. Nothing exciting, or even good, but they have to be done.          

• edited February 2014

Monday 10th February

Played 39

Won 18

Lost 21

Split....

£2.25 - Played 9, won 4, Lost 5

£5.50 - Played 22, won 10 lost 12

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £33.25

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.85

REWARD POINTS = 217

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,120.11

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,669 (= £16.69)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 319

Won 189

Lost 130

Win-rate, January, 59.25%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £236.55

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.74
  • edited February 2014

The only good thing about Monday's session  was my consistency - I lost money at each of the three buy-in levels. Ugh, never done that before. So all the batting averages took a dent.

I was due a losing night of course, quite a relief to get it out of the way really, but I was behind from the get-go, & could never quite pull it back.

Made several unforced errors, too. Raised it up with the Aces in an £11er, got the usual call from a low-chaser, (which is good, as they chop or lose the majority of these when they flat call, & their hand is face-up), the flop came 2 high cards (perfect, the pot will be MINE.....). It was Q-J-7. The chap checks, & I then c-Bet, he then backraised me. Whoops.

Initial instinct, he has the 7.

But how often can he have the 7 here? We play co-ordinated hands, & hands with combos of 7,8 & 9 are utterly dreadful, they cost us money in PLO8. But he can have a dangler 7, say A-2-7-K for example. Anyway, I was a non-believer, which was stupid really, we don't need to stack off if in doubt. 

So the next instinct was fold. 

Brain sent message to mouse via finger, FOLD.

Mouse finger pressed POT.

Exit £11 DYM. I felt so daft, falling for it.

I sent my finger a Memo, DO AS YOU ARE TOLD NEXT TIME, OK?

The chat box was in fine form, though MOTHER was discussing some really weird subjects.

Losing session BOOKED, next case.
  • edited February 2014

Wednesday 12th February

Played 28

Won 17

Lost 11

Split....

£2.25 - Played 13, won 7, Lost 6

£5.50 - Played 13, won 9 lost 4

£11.00 - Played 2, won 1, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £10.75

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.38

REWARD POINTS = 124

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,130.86

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,788 (= £17.88)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 347

Won 206

Lost 141

Win-rate, January, 59.36%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £247.30

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.71
  • edited February 2014

Wednesday was better, was going along nicely, but was very tired.

With 5 games left, I was at break even AFTER regging for the current 5 games, so decided to just play those & then quit, & get an early night, & I was freerolling a nice profit, as any of those games won equates to extra profit. Managed to lose 4 of the 5, including 1 @ £11. So an expected handy £30 or £40 profit ended up as a tenner profit. Boo!

Good fun at the Tables, everyone nice & chatty, I love this game, & the people who play it.

The WSOP schedule was published yesterday. Just two PLO8 Events (plenty of Limit games, but I don't play Limit), one @ $1,500, & 1 @ $3,000. I've played & cashed in both buy-in levels in the last 2 years, so I'm keen - very keen! - to have another bash. The weird thing is that the WSOP schedule is 6 weeks duration, but the two PLO8 Events are, literally, back to back, Bit odd really, but I expect they have a reason. We shall see. 

No poker tonight again, as I'm doing the Show, with Rob Yong as Guest. What price he turns up late? He is THE most un-punctual person I have ever met!

Enjoy your PLO8 tonight, & I'll be back tomorrow, & all weekend, God willing. Gotta sweat those Reward Points, eh?   
  • edited February 2014
    The only good thing about Monday's session  was my consistency - I lost money at each of the three buy-in levels. Ugh, never done that before. So all the batting averages took a dent.   I was due a losing night of course, quite a relief to get it out of the way really, but I was behind from the get-go, & could never quite pull it back.   Made several unforced errors, too. Raised it up with the Aces in an £11er, got the usual call from a low-chaser, (which is good, as they chop or lose the majority of these when they flat call, & their hand is face-up), the flop came 2 high cards (perfect, the pot will be MINE.....). It was Q-J-7. The chap checks, & I then c-Bet, he then backraised me. Whoops.   Initial instinct, he has the 7. But how often can he have the 7 here? We play co-ordinated hands, & hands with combos of 7,8 & 9 are utterly dreadful, they cost us money in PLO8. But he can have a dangler 7, say A-2-7-K for example. Anyway, I was a non-believer, which was stupid really, we don't need to stack off if in doubt.  So the next instinct was fold.  Brain sent message to mouse via finger, FOLD. Mouse finger pressed POT.   Exit £11 DYM. I felt so daft, falling for it. I sent my finger a Memo, DO AS YOU ARE TOLD NEXT TIME, OK? The chat box was in fine form, though MOTHER was discussing some really weird subjects.   Losing session BOOKED, next case.
    Posted by Tikay10

Behave!! - it was very funny though, the PLO8'ers are a great bunch

Have a great night tonight (i'll be watching)

See you at the tables tomorrow

Mother
    xx

• edited February 2014

Friday 14th February

Played 45

Won 26

Lost 19

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£3.30 - Played 25, Won 15, Lost 10

£5.50 - Played 15, won 9 lost 6

£11.00 - Played 5, won 2, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £0.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.00

REWARD POINTS = 200

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,130.86

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 1,988 (= £19.88)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 392

Won 232

Lost 160

Win-rate, January, 59.18%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £247.30

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.63
  • edited February 2014

You HAVE to love poker.

I won 12 of the first 15 - HUGE profit incoming, I'm, thinking, & I also won 7 of the last 8.

And in a monstsa 45 game session, never won or lost a penny!

I ran very well indeed at the start & end, & ran bad, & I suspect played bad, for the middle of the session. My last game of the session was a £11er, & I had to win that to break even. Huge fun.

The new £3.30 ones were running, & were busy all evening, I played 25 of them!

Nice 200 Reward points, too. I need them badly, as I'm unavailable all next week due to UKPC, so I only have 6 possible sessions left in February.

Plan is for another big session tonight, & again tomorrow.

Ideally, if I play 45 games though, I'd rather like to actually make a profit.......still, break-even beats losing I guess.

Must try harder.

MOTHER called a raise of mine last night. Totally disrespectful, imo.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No need TK, she comes and she goes.... Once though? ONCE... you must have busted me half a dozen times yesterday.  not a fan of this new tweaked model at all, go back to phoning, cooking, watching TV etc. :)
    Posted by alexis74
    I do run good v you, yes, but I think you got a bit back yesterday!

I completely mangled one hand, after I opened with a reasonable holding but you re-potted it behind me. You only do that with 1 hand, assuming full stacks, & yet I still got the lot in.
  • edited February 2014
    Ahhhh, TK sounds all reflective today. I blame the diet, slimmer soup, tut tut, get some fruit in your tummy. TK is absolutely right, Ger is a diamond.  I love sitting at a table with him,  Not only is he a fantastic player, he's a very nice chap. I've found your comments about people playing low cards interesting TK.  There are of course lots of players [thankfully] who think A2xx is the best hand in the world, they play that hand super strong in the early levels. That's something I don't understand. However, in the later levels and especially if short stacked, A234 A245 A236, all those sort of hands, especially if dual suited, I think are worth going with. Right or wrong, I don't know, I'm no maths genius. If I play hands like that, I'm not doing so to hopefully take half the pot, I'm doing so with the chance of taking the lot. I always assumed everyone thought like that, I had no idea that it was a general opinion that people are playing those type of hands in an attempt to chop pot only. If you are talking about people who call a pot raise on the turn simply because they have a nut low draw and are drawing to nowt else, then yes I agree 100%. That's lunacy. And yes, Poker is the beautiful game. Forget that nonsense thing of grown men running around a field kicking a ball!  I've yet to see a game of poker end 0-0 with one player feigning injury! Have fun, good luck and eat your greens.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    I love folks like Ger, his passion for the game shines through. Very tidy PLO player, too, one of the most consistently profitable here I'd have thought. 

Eat my greens? I've never eaten "greens", be they vegetables or salad, since I was a little boy. Can't abide them. I prefer bad things. 

Low hands? Basically, I don't mind raising with them, especially when the Blinds are big, but I rarely call with low only hands, it just makes no sense to me. When I RAISE with them, part of the logic is that I don't get called. That's the point, really. 

On balance, I think being a serial caller with Low Only hands must be -Ev.

Hope you enjoyed your meringue last night. Please, no more discussiong food in the chat box whilst I am dieting. OK?

Have a great weekend.

• edited February 2014

Saturday 15th February

Played 44

Won 22

Lost 22

Split....

£3.30 - Played 13, Won 5, Lost 8

£5.50 - Played 20, won 10 lost 10

£11.00 - Played 11, won 7, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £31.40

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.71

REWARD POINTS = 249

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,091.46

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,237 (= £22.37)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 434

Won 254

Lost 182

Win-rate, January, 58.52%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £215.90

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.50
  • edited February 2014

Standard sort of session really, bvut I kept getting the wrong side of flips, by a mixture of poor judgement & a bit of run-bad.

I was going along OK up to Game # 21, when I ran up 6 wins in a row, hello, here we go.....and then I lost 11 of the last 14 games, lol. What a great game this is, just when you think you have it beat, it smacks you round the chops.

44 games, won exactly half of them, but dropped £31. I suppose playing a bigger volume means the daily swings will be bigger, but more games really ought to even out variance, so I need to keep looking at my game. Think I may have turned the Aggro Dial up a notch or two too much. The edges in these things are wafer thin, & do one little thing slightly wrong & it soon reflects in the figures.

2 disappointing days really, 89 games played for a £30 loss, but its just standard ups & downs I guess, & my average profit per game is never going to be sustainable above £0.50 per game, which I'm happy with. If I were not working, & could play 50 games every day, that'd be some £750 per month, plus Reward Points of £100, & that is about as good as I can ever expect really, it'd be a nice little pension for me.

Most satisfying overall, I so love this game.     

• edited February 2014

Quick "thank you" to all the players that visited my rail last night to wish me good luck @ the UKPC.

Fair to say, I'm stressed to death, as I always am in these situations, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'll settle down to enjoy the experience as soon as Late Reg on Day 1b closes, Thursday evening.

Don't forget, if anyone wants to come along to Rail the UKPC, you are more than welcome, & there are some affordable Tourneys most evenings. Should be worth it for the atmo alone.

Anna Fowler & Laura Cornelius from Ch 861 will both be present all week. 

Pretty much every "name" poker player will be present, too, so if you want me to introduce you to any of then, I'll happily do so.

I gather MOTHER, & maybe even THE DAUGHTER are considering coming along, too. Into each life, a little rain must fall, eh?

• edited February 2014

Today will be my last PLO8 DYM session until Monday week, boo!

I need to try & get a good haul of Reward Points today, so that the 3,000 Point threshold is achievable after I return. After today, I will only have 4 days to play before the month end, but if I can get to 2,400 points today (I am 2,237 at present) I might just stumble across the 3,000 line.

Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you have planned.  
  • edited February 2014
    Good luck with the UKPC Mr K. We know how much time and effort you've invested in this, and hope it really goes like clockwork from here on in (no chance!)
  • edited February 2014
    Good luck with the UKPC Mr K. We know how much time and effort you've invested in this, and hope it really goes like clockwork from here on in (no chance!)
    Posted by FCHD
    Thank you.

The whole Team at Sky Poker & DTD have done a great job. I'm just a sort of water-carrier, general dogsbody, & message carrier/intermediary between Sky Poker & DTD.

I'll try & do a daily blog, regular reports & updates, & Tweets, though it depends if time allows, as I have a ton of different little jobs to do next week. My Twitter handle is @Tony_Kendall

Hope the weather down there has settled down a bit now, I know it's been awful.  

• edited February 2014
    Thanks Tikay,

We've had lots of wind (several of the beach fronts in Newquay have suffered serious damage), and lots of rain (today might just turn out to be the first totally rain-free day since Mid-November apparently, but compared to the rest of the country we're OK. It's the people who have to rebuild their lives from the floods I feel sorry for - those in Humberside before Christmas, those on the levels for about 6 weeks now, and in recent days those in the Thames Valley. And taking a bad beat in a DYM or losing a buy-in at a cash tables makes some people "tilt". Sometimes you just want to say "get a grip".

Really enjoy playing the Omaha Hi-Low DYMs with  you and the rest of the regulars, even though I'm only breaking even at them I find the whole experience a lot more enjoyable than those at Hold'Em where I do make my small profits. Just a shame that I can only play one at a time and for about 45 minutes in a session due to the lack of contrast of all the shades of blue on the "new" software
  • edited February 2014
    Quick "thank you" to all the players that visited my rail last night to wish me good luck @ the UKPC. Fair to say, I'm stressed to death, as I always am in these situations, but I'm sure it will be fine. I'll settle down to enjoy the experience as soon as Late Reg on Day 1b closes, Thursday evening. Don't forget, if anyone wants to come along to Rail the UKPC, you are more than welcome, & there are some affordable Tourneys most evenings. Should be worth it for the atmo alone.   Anna Fowler & Laura Cornelius from Ch 861 will both be present all week.  Pretty much every "name" poker player will be present, too, so if you want me to introduce you to any of then, I'll happily do so. I gather MOTHER, & maybe even THE DAUGHTER are considering coming along, too. Into each life, a little rain must fall, eh?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    Was hoping to sneak out quietly on Thursday but the little one got wind of my plans and insists on tagging along!!

Good luck for next week i'm sure it will be fab-u-lous

Mother
    x
  • edited February 2014
    Good Luck next week Tikay, I trust that it will all run smoothly and that you get the credit you rightly deserve.

Just a small apology for having a bit of a moan at one of the OHL tables last night. Got a bit fed up with exiting a main event again with a dominating hand all in pre and vented a bit, shouldn't have done it so sorry to you and the others at the table, who I'm sure read this forum.
  • edited February 2014
    Good Luck next week Tikay, I trust that it will all run smoothly and that you get the credit you rightly deserve. Just a small apology for having a bit of a moan at one of the OHL tables last night. Got a bit fed up with exiting a main event again with a dominating hand all in pre and vented a bit, shouldn't have done it so sorry to you and the others at the table, who I'm sure read this forum.
    Posted by Enut
    Thanks Tuney. The credit goes to the Team in Leeds, & Rob Yong & his crew @ DTD, I'm just the site labourer & message carrier. We just need to get the job done now.

88 runners in tonight's Final, so 17 more seats, boom!

No need to apologise for yesterday, you were just chuntering at, & to, yourself from what I saw, which is a zillion times better than berating others for bad beats. I got a bit of grief last night, guy chased me from table to table, called me everything under the sun because I outdrew him. Outdraw in PLO8 shocker, there's a thing.

• edited February 2014

Sunday 16th February

Played 30

Won 20

Lost 10

Split....

£3.30 - Played 11, Won 7, Lost 4

£5.50 - Played 14, won 9 lost 5

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £41.90

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.40

REWARD POINTS = 154

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,133.36

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,393 (= £23.93)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 464

Won 274

Lost 192

Win-rate, January, 59.05%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £257.80

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.56
  • edited February 2014

Proper heater tonight, steady first 15 games, then won 12 of the last 15, including the last 8 on the bounce. Was getting good starting hands, & they were mostly holding. Some nights, the game seems so simple, other night it is uphill. Won the Game Count 20-10, & won @ each buy-in level. That's called run-good.

Had a short session, as I have to pack tonight, & clear up the house, as I'll be away all week. Need to leave the house tidy, to, as the cleaner comes on Friday & she gets all tetchy with me if I leave the place untidy.

Lovely atmo in the chat box tonight, plenty of craic & banter.

MOTHER was a bit out of line though, SHE BET INTO ME. Total lack of respect, imo.

MOTHER and THE DAUGHTER have threatened to come up to the UKPC on Thursday. And it was all going so well....

OK, that's me done with the PLO8 DYM's until Monday week. Seriously, I'll miss the regulars, I so enjoy these sessions, I completely forget about all my ills & woes when playing, & the regulars are a smashing bunch. 

Hopefully, fingers crossed, I'll do some Updates, & a Daily Blog from UKPC, so everyone can share in the fun. 

Night all, & have a great week. I'm stressed to bits & as nervous as a kitten, but once Day 1b gets started, all will be OK. Probably.    

• edited February 2014
    Thanks Tikay, We've had lots of wind (several of the beach fronts in Newquay have suffered serious damage), and lots of rain (today might just turn out to be the first totally rain-free day since Mid-November apparently, but compared to the rest of the country we're OK. It's the people who have to rebuild their lives from the floods I feel sorry for - those in Humberside before Christmas, those on the levels for about 6 weeks now, and in recent days those in the Thames Valley. And taking a bad beat in a DYM or losing a buy-in at a cash tables makes some people "tilt". Sometimes you just want to say "get a grip". Really enjoy playing the Omaha Hi-Low DYMs with  you and the rest of the regulars, even though I'm only breaking even at them I find the whole experience a lot more enjoyable than those at Hold'Em where I do make my small profits. Just a shame that I can only play one at a time and for about 45 minutes in a session due to the lack of contrast of all the shades of blue on the "new" software
    Posted by FCHD

It really is amazing when folks are suffering with their homes flooded out, & we see people moaning about bad beats in fiver DYM's, but it's the nature of things I suppose.

I hope the weather stays dry down there next week, I know the West Country have borne the brunt of it.
  • edited February 2014
    Have a great week Mr K see you Thursday

Mother (and daughter)
    x