You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Have a great week Mr K see you Thursday Mother (and daughter) x
    Posted by Amarie
    Sigh. Must you?
  • edited February 2014
    hope you have a great week tikay all the best  and run good..churchy
  • edited February 2014
    come on tikay your week off is done now back too work old yin!

p.s do all us hi/lo players have a stake in your win:@) after all i probably paid half your buy in myself in the last few months.. seriously really pleased for you as is all the others hope too win some off you later all the best ...Churchy

• edited February 2014
    Just a quick note to offer my congratulations on a fantastic result in the plo tournie at the weekend.
    I have also donated a few pounds to you in plo8 ( I just do not seem able to grasp this game)
    I said in the tournament thread that you were an inspiration to us mere mortals of the poker world and one day I hope that I will be brave / good enough to attend one of the live events and give it a go!!
    Nick
  • edited February 2014
    Well desreved
    Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke

Mick
  • edited February 2014
     VWP TK!!     IIRC I've got at least 5%??   Altho I'm pretty sure Orford will still say "It was only second!"  
  • edited February 2014
    EXCELLENT RESULT
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Tikay, 

Was good to meet you at the UKPC

Incredible result for you in the PLO, WP!

Out of interest, how do you approach PLO tourneys? From the few I have played (low stakes) I have nboticed that people tend to overvalue their hands ALOT. As a result I've found that playing pretty tight has worked for me. I'm sure thats a bit different for a £550 PLO tourney though as you are bound to be playing against better players.

could do with a post highlighting a couple of hands from the tourney if you get time??

• edited February 2014
    Hi Tikay,  Was good to meet you at the UKPC Incredible result for you in the PLO, WP! Out of interest, how do you approach PLO tourneys? From the few I have played (low stakes) I have nboticed that people tend to overvalue their hands ALOT. As a result I've found that playing pretty tight has worked for me. I'm sure thats a bit different for a £550 PLO tourney though as you are bound to be playing against better players. could do with a post highlighting a couple of hands from the tourney if you get time??
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Thanks Melty.

Yes, once time permits, I'll Post a few interesting situations from the Tourney. I'm a little under the weather at the moment - man 'flu, + an adrenelin hangover I think - but I'll Post a few hands & situations later.

Generally, I take the "tight is right" approach. That has some hidden advantages, too, as when I did play a hand, or 3 bet someone, I got respect.

Ben Vinson was easily the most aggro player, & I got him off three hands early doors. (I was Button to his BB, & he knows I am weak passive, so he tried bullying me).

In the Final, I had the dream seat, as Alex (eventual winner) was opening light a lot, & Ben spotted this & was squeezing him. I was able to re-squeeze twice with near air, as I knew what he was up to. Eventually, of course, he sussed what I was doing, & called me, eek, but I was ahead pre, & held. Just......

There were some truly good players in it, too. Chris Brammer - I have a bit of man-love for Chris, I respect his game immensely - folded to me on our opening Table in a most peculiar spot. EPT winner Zinayd Zimnan (sp?) was in the hand, as was Ben Vinson, so I was a bit out of my depth with those lads.  

The hand was weird, 4 way, & checked down to the river. I had top pair (Ace) queen kicker, but one pair 4 way is rarely any good, but I thought I'd take a stab as nobody seemed interested.

The Turn & river were BOTH deuces, & Chris dwelt for nearly a minute before folding.

I bumped into him later, & he said "I put you on Aces full once the deuces paired, & I folded the under-house, as you could ONLY have Aces full as played".

Err.......not quite.

This was one of those spots where we are against someone who does not quite know what they are doing, & so get overly aggro with a poor hand, & force better hands to fold. Except I was the "bad player" on this occasion, & it was by accident rather than design that I got it through. Chris said "you could not possible do that with just an ace Tony".....

Whoops.  

• edited February 2014

Incidentally, what was simply astonishing, was that in a £550 Event, a lot of players were playing EVERY hand, Albert Sapiano style. In a fiver DYM, yes, we expect that, but not in a £550 jobbie.

I doubt I played more than a hand every 3 orbits, on average, though when we reached the Final, I unveiled my Aggro-Gear & really did open a lot of pots.

I'd say I play PLO (& PLO8) "competently" rather than well, but most players play it really badly.   

• edited February 2014
    Hi Tikay. Congrats on your bink in the Omaha, no mean feat that and im sure well deserved. Im sure your thrilled with how the whole week went, hope to be there next time!
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Tikay. Congrats on your bink in the Omaha, no mean feat that and im sure well deserved. Im sure your thrilled with how the whole week went, hope to be there next time!
    Posted by Wacko90
    Thanks Wacko.

The Omaha, yeah, I dodged bullets pretty darn good. I'm obviously disappointed I could not go one spot better, but I ran well above Ev throughout, so can't complain. The structure was perfect, or at least, it was for my game. (Plod, plod, plod....).

And yes, the whole week was every bit as good as I dared hope, & I'm sure the Business thinks the same. The Head Office Team @ Sky Poker & Rob Yong, Simon & Nick @ DTD are very unlikely bedfellows indeed. On one hand, a Corporate entity, with all the bureaucracy & admin that exists in any well-run Corporation, & on the other hand, the entrepreneurship @ DTD, where they are very much seat of the pants, & often do cranky & weird things seemingly on a whim. Sitting between those two was a very uncomfy chair at times, but there was no bad blood, & it all came together a treat.

My personal role was really just message-carrier & go-between, plus helping with the spam & puff, but even so, I'm proud to have been part of it. 

Hope you & your young lady are both hale & hearty, & we'll see you somewhere soon.     

• edited February 2014

Never give up.......

Towards the end of Day One, a lad named Adam Picken had been playing very snug, & had built a decent stack. He is an Online PLO8 & PLO Pro. 

Suddenly, he & one other got the lot in, Adam calling all-in, cards went "on their backs".

Adam says "phew, I can't lose, we both have A-K for top two pairs, chop it up".

His hand was tabled. We all stared at it. I even walked round the table to see it better. A-K? What? I can't see the King?

Suddenly Adam physically jolted bolt upright in his chair, & picked his hand up.

"Oh no, (or words to that effect) I've misread my hand! I have A-Q, not A-K". 

We've all done it. 

So that was that, a classic misread, & Adam was out, busto, gone. 

But when they counted his stack, he had 2.5 Bigs left. In truth, he would prefer to be out, it's such an embarrassing thing to happen in front of a table full of poker players, & now he had to wait another hand to lose the rest of his bowl.

Next hand, first to speak, & paying no heed to his mini-stack, (I'd not considered it really) I min-raised. And got THREE callers. Then Adam shoved over the top. So 4 of us all called the extra half a Big Blind, lol. 

We check it down, all three streets, as you do. 

"On their backs" says the Dealer. Everyone is reluctant to show, so we all know nobody has much.  I sheepishly show one pair, someone else does the same. Eventually, it becomes clear that Adam, with a rivered top two, has won the pot, & suddenly he has north of 10 Bigs!

Adam went on to finish 5th, for £2,400. 

Fair play to him.

Never give up

• edited February 2014
    Congratulations on the success of last week. Personally and business wise.
    I think with yourself, Sky and the DTD team it was never in doubt that it was going to work out well. Still a relief when everything does go pretty much according to plan though, I guess.

I imagine it's a tough balancing act for the business. 

Clearly, this kind of event must do wonders for the brand name. However, does it bring new players to the site?
    The site is wonderful at bringing new players into poker and providing games for all bankrolls.

I can only assume that there will be more festivals such as this. It would be nice to think that we won't lose the smaller buy in SPTs as a result though. I've found, from a very small sample, that the smaller events have been a little bit more fun for the recs like me. Also with the smaller buy ins, the field has been mainly made up of regular Sky players. It would be a shame to lose that.
  • edited February 2014
    Congratulations on the success of last week. Personally and business wise. I think with yourself, Sky and the DTD team it was never in doubt that it was going to work out well. Still a relief when everything does go pretty much according to plan though, I guess. I imagine it's a tough balancing act for the business.  Clearly, this kind of event must do wonders for the brand name. However, does it bring new players to the site? The site is wonderful at bringing new players into poker and providing games for all bankrolls. I can only assume that there will be more festivals such as this. It would be nice to think that we won't lose the smaller buy in SPTs as a result though. I've found, from a very small sample, that the smaller events have been a little bit more fun for the recs like me. Also with the smaller buy ins, the field has been mainly made up of regular Sky players. It would be a shame to lose that.
    Posted by Jac35
    long live the SPT

Maybe they can add a UKPC Main event seat for each winner. Maybe they should backdate it too?!

:D

• edited February 2014
    Good to see you again my sweet. Was lovely to catch up, rail, and see Jen again too .... railing skillz ftw ;-)    Chat soon x
  • edited February 2014
    Congratulations on the success of last week. Personally and business wise. I think with yourself, Sky and the DTD team it was never in doubt that it was going to work out well. Still a relief when everything does go pretty much according to plan though, I guess. I imagine it's a tough balancing act for the business.  Clearly, this kind of event must do wonders for the brand name. However, does it bring new players to the site? The site is wonderful at bringing new players into poker and providing games for all bankrolls. I can only assume that there will be more festivals such as this. It would be nice to think that we won't lose the smaller buy in SPTs as a result though. I've found, from a very small sample, that the smaller events have been a little bit more fun for the recs like me. Also with the smaller buy ins, the field has been mainly made up of regular Sky players. It would be a shame to lose that.
    Posted by Jac35
    I imagine so, yes. Very difficult indeed. Nice problem to have though, eh? Far better than a failure, but success breeds its own problems, so yes, some head-scratching will undoubtedly ensue Upstairs, & whatever they do, they'll upset some. Personally, I'm not convinced it makes sense to do both, but my view holds no weight. I'm sure there is a solution that sort of half-pleases everyone though. And so half upsets everyone, too....

Thank you very much for the kind comments. I'm physically & emotionally drained (& full of 'flu) so I've not reflected on the whole UKPC properly yet. There are still some residual details being sorted out, too, which are a right pain, to be honest, but it's standard stuff really, I suppose.

I do wish I could have my time again, & do the whole UKPC thing again, knowing what I know now. The journey began 18 months ago, & it's been quite something.

The week was a blur, there were long-standing friends of mine there from 10 or 15 years back, & I never even knew they were there, never spoke to them. Some regulars from Sky Community, too, I barely remember even speaking to them, my head was all over the place, I was so nervous & stressed out. 

The Omaha "distrction", whilst the greatest fun ever, did not help, as I felt sorta bad, as I was supposed to be working. XXXX (Big Cheese, from Upstairs) had repeatedly suggested I play the Omaha Event, so eventually I did, Registering at around 11pm, after ensuring everyone else had got a seat. (There were no spare seats until then).

I doubt he expected, & certainly I did not, that it would take nearly 2 days!

Anyway, what's done is done. Just gotta clear up the residuals now.
  • edited February 2014
    come on tikay your week off is done now back too work old yin! p.s do all us hi/lo players have a stake in your win:@) after all i probably paid half your buy in myself in the last few months.. seriously really pleased for you as is all the others hope too win some off you later all the best ...Churchy
    Posted by churchy18
    Ha, but.....NO!

Thanks Churchy, really appreciate the kind words.
  • edited February 2014
    Just a quick note to offer my congratulations on a fantastic result in the plo tournie at the weekend. I have also donated a few pounds to you in plo8 ( I just do not seem able to grasp this game) I said in the tournament thread that you were an inspiration to us mere mortals of the poker world and one day I hope that I will be brave / good enough to attend one of the live events and give it a go!! Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Very kind of you Nick, thank you. I've not read that Thread yet, but I will, eventually.

I've been watching you play the £3.30's lately, I might be wrong, but I get the impression you are playing much better now, & winning a few bob. Well done, keep it going, & if I can help in any way, feel free to ask. Winning is fun, even if it is only beer money.  

• edited February 2014
    Well desreved Couldn't have happened to a nicer bloke Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Spanners!

Thanks Mick, appreciated.

Any good last night? I saw we shared a few Tables, but when I'm 6 Tabling, I sort of miss the finer details.  

• edited February 2014
    Good to see you again my sweet. Was lovely to catch up, rail, and see Jen again too .... railing skillz ftw ;-)    Chat soon x
    Posted by COFFEENCRM
    HoldyFoldy!

Thanks Michelle, honestly, you guys Railing me meant so much, I really appreciated it.

Anyway, when we having that Latte-Chatty you promised me? Time we did it.

Was GREAT to see you, & I mean that.

xx 

• edited February 2014

Best get the numbers up to date now. Been flu-ridden all week - still am - so pardon the lack of Daily Updates.

Doubt I'll play today, bed awaits, so I'll do the Month End Summary, too.  

• edited February 2014

Monday 24th February

Played 14

Won 5

Lost 9

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£3.30 - Played 10, Won 4, Lost 6

£5.50 - Played 4, won 1 lost 3

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £21.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.40

REWARD POINTS = 50

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,112.36

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,443 (= £24.43)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 478

Won 279

Lost 201

Win-rate, January, 58.36%

PROFIT/LOSS in February,
    £236.80

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £0.50
  • edited February 2014

Shocking session.

Felt unwell, flu, heavy cold, eyes streaming, was daft to even try to play, but I'd not played for 10 days & was itching to play again. Mistake, big mistake.

Luckily, there were no £11 Games running, or I'm sure I'd have lost more. Decided to quit early & went to bed. 

One of my worst nights ever, stats-wise, really poor show. 

Sent myself a Memo.  

• edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear that you are unwell Tikay. Get some rest and I hope you get better soon.

Is there any chance of Sky sending Anna round to rub some Vic into your chest? Although, come to think of it, you wouldn't want that as they may send Orford around as a last minute substitute! (If anyone who reads this now has that mental picture in their heads then I sincerely apologise).
  • edited February 2014
    Sorry to hear that you are unwell Tikay. Get some rest and I hope you get better soon. Is there any chance of Sky sending Anna round to rub some Vic into your chest? Although, come to think of it, you wouldn't want that as they may send Orford around as a last minute substitute! (If anyone who reads this now has that mental picture in their heads then I sincerely apologise).
    Posted by Enut
    Thanks Tuney.

I had more than enough of Anna the Diva last week.

It's just the annual dose of flu, combined with an adrenelin hangover from last week. I'm rarely unwell, but when I am, I make a shocking fuss......

But it's really bad. Imagine childbirth - it's TEN times worse. Honest, it is.

• edited February 2014

Tuesday 25th February

Played 19

Won 2

Lost 7

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£3.30 - Played 7, Won 1, Lost 6

£5.50 - Played 2, won 1 lost 1

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £18.10

PROFIT/LOSS per game £2.01

REWARD POINTS = 31

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,094.26

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,474 (= £24.74)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 487

Won 281

Lost 208

Win-rate, January, 57.70%

PROFIT/LOSS in February,
    £218.70

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £0.45
  • edited February 2014

So if Monday was my worst session ever, what was Tuesday?

P9, W2....!

Ugh ugh ugh.

Just got my session started, & my internet went down, everything, the lot. I had SIX Tables on the go, & was Registered for 2 more. I lost the lot, except one x £5.50, as it took me nearly an hour to re-connect. Apparently, the whole area suffered problems that night.

Marv.

We can get uppity about these things, but the Internet is not perfect, not by a long way, & it happens.

Anyway, I was still a bit mardy with the 'flu, & just decided it'd be best to quit for the night, & start afresh Wednesday.

Ugh.