You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2014

Very short session yesterday, as I was very fatigued, & could not focus properly, or concentrate. I was making a ton of mistakes, but variance being the fickle beast she is, I made a good profit, so it seemed sensible to draw stumps early, & get to bed.

It's all going a bit wrong this month, despite a goodly profit so far. I need to get to 3,000 Reward Points, but things keep getting in the way. Monday, quite unexpectedly, I had to go out to that Awards thing, so that cost me 200 Reward Points.

Tuesday I did the Show, so I planned a big session last night. And managed 8 games.....

Doing the Show tonight, so that's another night missed. 

It's all a bit frustrating, but with any luck, three big sessions on Friday, Saturday & Sunday will make up some of the leeway. The plan was to reach 1,000 Reward Points by Sunday, no chance of that now, but we'll see, maybe I can re-set the daily Target & find a way to get there.

• edited March 2014
    It's so frustrating - I can't play poker because I'm on tv and getting awards.

Hard life eh TK?

:)
  • edited March 2014
    Morning TK

Just a thought whilst reading through your summaries:
    What would be more important to you?

Hitting your Reward points target
    or
    Keeping your win rate above 60%

Hope you're feeling better this morning.

Oh and as for the beard, i have noticed they seem to becoming more fashionable recently.
    Lots of footballers have them and even guys in ads on TV's are sporting them.
    Setting the trends again sir !!

Have a good show tonight.
    Regards
    Mick
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    It's so frustrating - I can't play poker because I'm on tv and getting awards. Hard life eh TK? :)
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Behave!

I felt so weird last night. I was incredibly tired, so had an hours nap when I got home. Which became 3 hours.

When I awoke, I felt groggy & nonplussed, & just wanted to go back to bed. I soon had 6 Tables on the go, but I was really struggling to focus properly, & felt totally out of sorts.

I started my session, but was not "with it", & was making terrible mistakes galore. I threw one £5.50 away by sheer lack of concentration. I had Raised with a decent two way hand, & had double average. The other Big Stack, a perpetual Caller/station, then RE-RAISED me. He can ONLY do this with Aces. But I still got the lot in, & did 80% of my stack. An unforgiveable mistake, & I was livid with myself. It was a trivial fold, the simplest of folds.   

Then I did an unforgiveable thing, a beginners error, & I think Vespa may have been in the same pot. (Post to follow).

So I just decided to give up for the night.

So I then watched a bit of TV to calm myself down & unwind, it was about an orphaned Elephant named Aisha, & the lady who looked after her, Daphne, this lady....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daphne_Sheldrick

How about that for a real-life hero?

Anyway, she manages to save Aisha (the baby, orphaned elephant) from death, & he started to grow up & become a regular elephant. He was perfectly lovely. But then.....

....the elephant died.

FFS, I ended up in floods of tears.

I've not forgotten your earlier questions about optimal strategy (I may disagree, & side with Gelders actually...) or the question about NL Omaha. That's an interesting & intriguing one....

Just a bit busy at the mo, what with this & that. Need to do tonight's Show thread, & I'm up to my neck still in UKPC & other stuff. I've no idea how I will die, (I actually think about that a lot these days) but it won't be from boredom, that's for sure.

All good, except the bad. Why did Aisha have to die? It's all wrong.

• edited March 2014
    This is the hand that i made a mistake in (i think)?
    After i called the turn i realised i can only be splitting the low.
    Thoughts?
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tikay1 Small blind   15.00 15.00 2235.00
    DEKSCAR531 Big blind   30.00 45.00 585.00
      Your hole cards
    • A

ACESHIGHAA Fold        
    VespaPX Raise   90.00 135.00 1880.00
    55013 Fold        
    gerardirl Fold        
    tikay1 Call   75.00 210.00 2160.00
    DEKSCAR531 Call   60.00 270.00 525.00
    Flop

• K

tikay1 Check        
    DEKSCAR531 Check        
    VespaPX Check        
    Turn

tikay1 Bet   270.00 540.00 1890.00
    DEKSCAR531 All-in   525.00 1065.00 0.00
    VespaPX Call   525.00 1590.00 1355.00
    tikay1 Call   255.00 1845.00 1635.00
    River

• K

tikay1 All-in   1635.00 3480.00 0.00
    VespaPX Fold        
    tikay1 Unmatched bet   1635.00 1845.00 1635.00
    tikay1 Show
    • A
    • K

DEKSCAR531 Show
    • A
    • Q

tikay1 Win high Full House, Kings and 3s 922.50   2557.50
    tikay1 Win low 7-low 922.50   3480.00
  • edited March 2014

That was the hand Mick, yes, but I thought I had made a bad mistake, but now I can see it again, in fact I played it OK. You never made a mistake, or not that I was aware of. (Well, now I can see the hand, yeah, you needed to fold the flop as you were on half at best, & doubtful even for that).

The coup here is like this....

When we are 3 way, & have a player all-in, & there is a dry side pot, we should NEVER force the other player with chips to fold IF there is a possible Low. So we should just check it down, even though I have the nut high Full House.

By forcing the other guy with chips (you, in this case) to fold, we MAY allow the all-in player to hit his low, & get half the pot, & so survive. An unforgiveable crime.

As it happens, I can now see I had nut-nut, so in this case, me betting, & forcing you out, was not so bad really, in fact, I think it is the correct play.

See, I did not even know I was doing the correct thing, that's what a mess my bonce was in.   

• edited March 2014
    Part of me wants to just shove the turn there. Being results orientated it's good that we got away!! But we have a LOT of potential high outs plus a few outs to give us the new nut low. We're almost never crushed unless villain has A256 with the NFD. (but that's just so unlikely even more so with us having a 5s which means he has to have 2 spades in the A26 combination)
  • edited March 2014
    Part of me wants to just shove the turn there. Being results orientated it's good that we got away!! But we have a LOT of potential high outs plus a few outs to give us the new nut low. We're almost never crushed unless villain has A256 with the NFD. (but that's just so unlikely even more so with us having a 5s which means he has to have 2 spades in the A26 combination)
    Posted by F_Ivano
    vic
    Have to say, on the flop, I MUCH prefer his hand to mine. But I just run better, & got rescued by the Full House. ....;)

Would have been horrible if I filled up with a spade, that woulda been a right cooler for Mick.
  • edited March 2014

Friday 7th March

Played 43

Won 29

Lost 14

Split....

£3.30 - Played 25, Won 17, Lost 8

£5.50 - Played 12, won 8 lost 4

£11.00 - Played 6, won 4, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £38.70

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.90

REWARD POINTS = 195

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,268.30

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 461 (= £4.61)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 99

Won 65

Lost 34

Win-rate, January, 65.65%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £129.74

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £1.31
  • edited March 2014

A really strong set of numbers last night, felt completely in the zone, played well, & crucially, ran well.  

Still have a problem with Reward Points though, been a very stop & start week, but 461 Reward Points by 7th March is not enough, & I need to try & crack on this weekend. Never seem to feel comfortable until I get to 2,000 Points, after which 3,000 seems relatively achievable.

Plenty of games running last night, & the chat & banter ewas excellent, though one or two individuals - relative strangers - were running their mouth when they lost a hand. I suppose it was always so, some folks can't take a beat. Pretty sad, really.  

• edited March 2014

How do these things happen?

I ran well all evening apart from Games 19-23 incl, where I lost 5 on the bounce, which included 2 @ £11, & so this dented the numbers badly, but that apart, everything went just as I'd wish, with a strong start & end, winning 11 of the first 15, & 15 of the last 18, so I can't complain at all.

Even so, on the very last game, an £11er, I needed to win to lock up a £40 profit on the night, but only £20 if I lost, so I applied full concentration & focus.

And it all went wrong......

Early doors, two "call every hand" chaps BOTH doubled up by busting others, so we were 4 handed in Level 1.

I had 1,900, Alexis the same, & the two Chippies both had about 4,000, so this was an awkward situation. 

Neither of them would pass to any bet pre, so I had to keep one eye on Alexis, (doubtless doing the same to me), & see if I could outlast him.

I could not find a spot, or a hand I was happy to go to war with, & just blinded down & down.....

Eventually, I was down to about 600 @ 150-300, going 200-400 next hand, (or nearly so) which would be my BB. Ugh.

And then the strangest thing happened - the two Big Stacks went to war!

Raised pre, called, on the flop, Bet, 3 bet, re-raise, call. And one of them BUSTED.

How on earth do these things happen? Why would they do that, knowing I had 1.5 Bigs?

I run good.   
  • edited March 2014

Saturday 8th March

Played 35

Won 24

Lost 11

Split....

£3.30 - Played 23, Won 15, Lost 8

£5.50 - Played 8, won 5 lost 3

£11.00 - Played 4, won 4, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £56.10

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.60

REWARD POINTS = 149

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,324.40

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 610 (= £6.10)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 134

Won 89

Lost 45

Win-rate, January, 66.42%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £185.84

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £1.38
  • edited March 2014
    Saturday 8th March Played 35 Won 24 Lost 11 Split.... £3.30 - Played 23, Won 15, Lost 8 £5.50 - Played 8, won 5 lost 3 £11.00 - Played 4, won 4 , Lost 0 PROFIT / LOSS on Day £56.10 PROFIT/ LOSS per game £1.60 REWARD POINTS = 149 BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,324.40 REWARD POINTS at close of play = 610 (= £6.10)
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think I played 4 or 5 yesterday evening and won all of them! Nice to see that you crushed the tables and I luck boxed my way to some wins. In a way it compensated me for going out of the Primo within the first hour (I hate that). Was on a tough table made tougher by running queens on a J32 board into pocket 3s and then 66 on a J65 board into a backdoor flush (my exit hand).

Hi lo was my saviour!! Some interesting chat too.

Off to play some tennis now, have a good Sunday Tikay
  • edited March 2014

Wow, proper heater this.

We all try to play our best all the time, sometimes no matter what we do, we end up losing. but right now, I'm enjoying the mother of all heaters.

I lost the very first game when my flopped nut flush ran into a flopped straight flush, ooh-er, but recovered to win 10 of the first 15 games, then 11 of the next 15, only blotting my copybook by losing 2 of the last 5. Played 4 @ £11 & won all 4. That's called run-good.

Decided to end the session early - hit & run merchant, me - as the traffic, which had been amazingly high all evening, dropped to a trickle just after 10pm. These days, I don't play so good when I only have 2 or 3 Tables on the go, my concentration suffers, I've become an action junkie, so I decided to quit, & in the process, lock up a lovely profit.   

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I think I played 4 or 5 yesterday evening and won all of them! Nice to see that you crushed the tables and I luck boxed my way to some wins. In a way it compensated me for going out of the Primo within the first hour (I hate that). Was on a tough table made tougher by running queens on a J32 board into pocket 3s and then 66 on a J65 board into a backdoor flush (my exit hand). Hi lo was my saviour!! Some interesting chat too. Off to play some tennis now, have a good Sunday Tikay
    Posted by Enut
    Well done Tuney, good to see you running a little better, you were due, I saw you had a torrid time a few nights back.

Interesting chat? Err, yes, see next Post.

Enjoy your Sunday, & your Tennis.  
  • edited March 2014

A man of few words

Geezer in one game played EVERY hand, & run up a huge stack very early, 5,000+, & we were 5 handed in Level One.

He was showing up with a really interesting array of eclectic starting hands, this was "range-balancing" hardcore.

Suddenly, he loses a hand, & immediately types in the chat box.

donk

"Tom", who takes his beats like a good 'un, a really splendid chap, never moans or groans, was the recipitent of the chips. 

I was always ahead though, pre flop, flop, turn & river.

donk

A few hands later, Tom flops a monster draw, & gets there.

donk

I had nut low draw, nut flush draw, straight draw, & top two

donk

A few hands later the 2 of them get the lot in, Tom has a lovely 2 way hand & flops the world. 

donk

But I had everything mate, could never fold.

donk 

Our man busted a few hands later, getting it all-in pre with the rustiest spanners you ever saw.

Silence in chat box. Total silence.

Moments later, all 4 players type the exact same thing in the chat box.

donk

• edited March 2014
    Morning TK Just a thought whilst reading through your summaries: What would be more important to you? Hitting your Reward points target or Keeping your win rate above 60% Hope you're feeling better this morning. Oh and as for the beard, i have noticed they seem to becoming more fashionable recently. Lots of footballers have them and even guys in ads on TV's are sporting them. Setting the trends again sir !! Have a good show tonight. Regards Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    That is a great point, Mick.

Logically, trying to keep the win-rate north of 50% ought to be the only target, but I seem to be equally fixated by the Reward Points thing.

The thing is, all things being equal, I can just about make 3,000 Reward Points on a regular month, & that is worth £45 to me. Based on the starting 'roll of £200, £45 is a lot of money.

In truth, of course, it is only £15 extra really, compared to, say, 2,950 Reward Points.

Bit silly really, but having targets really helps me. Carrot & donkey, I suppose.  

• edited March 2014

Been a really stop start week.

Monday I had to unexpectedly go out for the evening, Show on Tuesday, Wednesday I was unwell, did the Show again Thursday, but Plan B was soon in place, have a monster weekend, Friday to Sunday, & try to get 600 Reward Points & get back on target.

Was rattling along nicely last night at about 9pm, profit asured, & the Sunday session still to come, BOOM, soon be back on target. 

And then......I got a text. Stu Rutter is unwell, would I do the Show tonight?

Well my policy is NEVER to say no when the Bosses ask me to do something, so the answer was "yes, of course, thank you". In truth, I'm a little tired & jaded, what with UKPC, flu, & this week has been really heavy, with 2 Shows done already.

So, no poker tonight, boo!

Anyway, I'll get some kip this afternoon, & try & be fresh, bouncy & zingy tonight. Don't even know who the Presenter is. Dear Lord, please don't let it be Orford.   

• edited March 2014
    Oh Tikay
    We all have our crosses to bear and yours i'm afraid is Mr Orford......... anyway only played a few last night as I have had a horrible week and a bit on the dym tables. After having some success at 5.50 and 11.00 nlh suddenly just unable to win a game coupled with paying way to much to get into the 30k game sunday and throwing it away early (just being an idiot and I was to blame no one else) I felt that playing some plo8, which I enjoy but am still struggling with was the way to go. my Problem seems to be not knowing what hands to play with when the blinds go up and my stack is being withered by blinds.
    In one game I was lucky got on top kept getting obvious starting hands and got a large stack only to see it all go and in the end I only just finished in the top three.
    I appreciated your answer in the chat box last night when I asked about calling a small amount even with nothing trying to bust the small stack so do you have any advice on starting hands later on?
  • edited March 2014
    Love the "donk" post hahaha

• edited March 2014
    Oh Tikay We all have our crosses to bear and yours i'm afraid is Mr Orford......... anyway only played a few last night as I have had a horrible week and a bit on the dym tables. After having some success at 5.50 and 11.00 nlh suddenly just unable to win a game coupled with paying way to much to get into the 30k game sunday and throwing it away early (just being an idiot and I was to blame no one else) I felt that playing some plo8, which I enjoy but am still struggling with was the way to go. my Problem seems to be not knowing what hands to play with when the blinds go up and my stack is being withered by blinds. In one game I was lucky got on top kept getting obvious starting hands and got a large stack only to see it all go and in the end I only just finished in the top three. I appreciated your answer in the chat box last night when I asked about calling a small amount even with nothing trying to bust the small stack so do you have any advice on starting hands later on?
    Posted by pompeynic
    Morning Nick.

I watched you with interest in that game - you had over 4,500 chips, over 5,000 even, very early. I know how badly you wanted to win it, & I watched, almost in horror, as your stack just got smaller & smaller, & eventually you were Billy Low Stack I think. Fortunately, you held your nerve, hung in, & got the win. BOOM!

Starting hands later on, when the Blinds are big?

Well personally, I think it's a combo of starting hands, "situational awareness", & making a rule to try to be FIRST to act whenever possible.

Starting Hands.

We want 2 way hands, just in case. If we have something like A-K-2-4 we are rarely in terrible shape, even if we bump into Aces, we still have a shot.

Very rarely (only if I am very short) will I play a Low Only hand. It is a very bad thing to commit our DYM to a Low Only hand, we can be in so much trouble if it comes all high.

High Only hand? A-K-K-J, that sort of thing? Well better than a Low Only hand, for sure. 

But ideally, a two way hand.

So, in order of preference.

Two way hand

High only hand

Low only hand
    . (Only if really desperate).

Situational Awareness

Look around the table ALL the time.

Are there shorties who may be getting desperate?

Is someone limping in out of a 5 BB stack? (Likely to go Busto).

Do we HAVE to play this hand?

Just try to avoid risk, really, let the others fight it out if our stack permits.

NEVER limp or call at this stage. Raise or fold, ideally being first to act.

By being the Raiser not the caller we give ourselves TWO ways to win the hand, as most of the time the others will pass when we bet.

I would jam with, say, A-J-5-2 if nobody opened in front of me. But if someone Bets first, or even just limps in, I'm now throwing my hand away. It's a very odd thing that from a short stack, some players will limp, then call a shove, they are playing their hands backwards, only giving themselves one way to win the hand. Two ways beats one way, all day & night......

My ideal spot, the DYM "sweet spot", is with blinds at 150-300. A pot sized bet is now 1,050, & nobody (in their right mind) calls a bet of that size. If they re-raise, so be it, we have to call.

150-300 is "move time", & in fact, I often don't play a SINGLE hand until Blinds are 150-300. This is the crucial Level, that seperates winners from losers. Forget 25-50, we ain't interested in winning pots at that stage. 150-300 is where we start to play.  

It is MUCH harder at 100-200, as we can only bet 700. That might get called. We don't want a call really, if we don't see a flop, we can't lose. 

At 200-400, now we must widen our range a lot. 

At 300-600, we now have little choice, any half decent hand - ideally ANY 2 way hand - & we must pot it. We rarely get called, anyway. 

Bet, don't call.

I played 35 games last night, & 43 on Wednesday. I never limped in ONCE.*

*Except for, maybe 4 times in total, over those 78 games when I was in the SB & had a good hand at medium blinds & so I "made up". I would not do this after the 100-200 Level though. Just let the BB have your SB, we don't need to fight him out of position. People "making up" the SB at 100-200 upwards is the daftest thing ever.      

Actually, I DID limp in once, I had 8 Tables going, & must have misclicked. The whole chat box came alive - "TIKAY LIMPED", lol. 

We can peel a few hands (in position) though. Not many, mind, but a few.

Hope some of that helps, & let me know how you get on, please.

• edited March 2014
    Tikay you talk about a "low only" hand like it can't win the high, but a low only hand can still win the high whereas the same can't be said for vice versa.

3456 for example has 53% equity over a high only hand like AKKJ. So surely that's a better hand to go in with? And against A2KQ (a potential high/low hand) our 3456ds this time has 50% equity.
  • edited March 2014
    Tikay you talk about a "low only" hand like it can't win the high, but a low only hand can still win the high whereas the same can't be said for vice versa. 3456 for example has 53% equity over a high only hand like AKKJ. So surely that's a better hand to go in with? And against A2KQ (a potential high/low hand) our 3456ds this time has 50% equity.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    3-4-5-6 IS a "High" hand.

Put it another way, it's deffo not the sort of Low hand I'd ever play!
  • edited March 2014
    I guess Ivan is saying 'a Low only hand can win the Hi AND Lo part of the pot, where a Hi only hand physically cannot win the Low part of any pot'.

But then lots of pots won't even have a Low half to the pot, so you want a higher chance of winning the part of the pot that will 100% be there, and I'd imagine in the late stages of a DYM even a chop is a very welcome outcome

Interested in the game and would of course only be able to play it for fun atm as oppose to actually expecting to win money but all your advice on this thread has been really great. Obviously a lot of the advice is DYM specific things about survival etc. This is probably a really newbie question but how do you find PLO8 cash, is it a game that ever really gets played? Does the rake in PLO8/the number of chopped pots not make it really hard to beat?
  • edited March 2014
    I guess Ivan is saying 'a Low only hand can win the Hi AND Lo part of the pot, where a Hi only hand physically cannot win the Low part of any pot'. But then lots of pots won't even have a Low half to the pot, so you want a higher chance of winning the part of the pot that will 100% be there, and I'd imagine in the late stages of a DYM even a chop is a very welcome outcome Interested in the game and would of course only be able to play it for fun atm as oppose to actually expecting to win money but all your advice on this thread has been really great. Obviously a lot of the advice is DYM specific things about survival etc. This is probably a really newbie question but how do you find PLO8 cash, is it a game that ever really gets played? Does the rake in PLO8/the number of chopped pots not make it really hard to beat?
    Posted by Lambert180
    Yes, I get his point, & it's great to thrash ideas & thoughts back & forth, especially if we want to improve.

Melty mentioned PLO8 & NL08 Cash a few days back & I've yet to reply.

I've been having a look at it, &, to my astonishment, I've noticed that over on 'Stars, NL08 (NO Limit, not Pot Limit) Hyper SNG's have seen an astronomical rise in traffic recently.

If Sky Poker introduced them, or have something similar already, in fact any form of NL08 DYM or SNG, I'll maybe give them a whirl soon.

Not so sure about NL08 Cash, or even PLO8 cash, I suck at Cash these days, though again, I suppose I ought to try.

The problem is I'm making a steady little profit, month after month, in these PL08 DYM's, & I'm content with that, in truth. £150 to £200 a month is like a little pension to me, I could, if I retired, (or get the tin tack) & was able to play more hours, maybe increase that to £300 to £400 per month, & that'd do me, job done.

I have no aspirations to win big money Online. What would be nice is to use my profit (if I still have it) to enter a couple of PLO8 WSOP Events this year. Now that would be epic!  
  • edited March 2014
    OK, so what do you mean by low only hands then? :S
  • edited March 2014
    Hey Tikay love to see the honesty in your posts about being called in tonight and not veen knowing who the presenter is haha priceless!!!

Hope your feeling well soon. You mentioned a while back a possible omaha incentive for this month which obviously hasnt happened. Do you know if anything is in the pipeline?

Looks like you could do with a motivationally boost!

Ger