You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : How are you going to win the jackpot again when you're only on one table? :)
    Posted by Sky_Poker

Haha, I would take winning any tournament these days :-) 

Seriously though, once it becomes doable to play two tournaments at a time on the iPad then I will be back on the Jackpot quest. 

• edited March 2014

Thursday 20th March

Played 40

Won 17

Lost 23

Split....

£3.30 - Played 26, Won 11, Lost 15

£5.50 - Played 9, won 2 lost 7

£11.00 - Played 5, won 4, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £30.30

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.76

REWARD POINTS = 173

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,279.49

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,292 (= £22.92)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 497

Won 286

Lost 211

Win-rate, January, 57.54%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £129.13

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £0.26
  • edited March 2014

Probably my worst set of results over 2 days since I began, bringing the 2 day loss to £50, so all the metrics have been badly disturbed.

I worry about nights like that, but they are going to happen repeatedly, they just are. The graph is stubbornly heading north, with repeated little setbacks, but it's just fine.

I played 40 DYM's last night, & fretted because I won less than half. But why fret? In March, I've played 500 of them, & I'm nicely in profit, & since this thing began, I've played nearly 3,000 & made a good average profit.

So why, when we have a little blip or two, do we fret? It's daft. Variance is not to be messed with. It exists. We just have to deal with it.   

• edited March 2014

You sort of sense a bad session though. I lost 5 of the first 6, ugh, but the first £5.50 one, I exited in Level ONE, lol.

A chap was playing "quite fast", potting it pre every hand, & potting every street. He was dangerous.

He was going to bust the whole table in no time, or bust himself.

I decided to sit quietly, & watch tricks. I could win this baby without even playing a hand.

It was awesome to watch, too. Pot pot pot, amazing scenes & he was getting to showdown with a really eclectic range of stuff.  

But then I found the old A-A-K-2, Double Suited.......

I tried to find the fold, but failed, & we went pot pot ppot pre, & got the lot in. You know the rest. 

He had four hearts in his hand, Q-J-9-6, then flopped the straight & turned the flush.

I did feel rather silly, "wp lads, gl all" sorta thing as I exited, tail firmly between legs.  

• edited March 2014
    Probably my worst set of results over 2 days since I began, bringing the 2 day loss to £50, so all the metrics have been badly disturbed. I worry about nights like that, but they are going to happen repeatedly, they just are. The graph is stubbornly heading north, with repeated little setbacks, but it's just fine.   I played 40 DYM's last night, & fretted because I won less than half. But why fret? In March, I've played 500 of them, & I'm nicely in profit, & since this thing began, I've played nearly 3,000 & made a good average profit.   So why, when we have a little blip or two, do we fret? It's daft. Variance is not to be messed with. It exists. We just have to deal with it.     
    Posted by Tikay10
    No one likes seeing thier balance go down, then negative thoughts come in and your ultimatly trying to hard to win back what you lost, well it is for me. If your still playing well and just getting unlucky then crack on otherwise a 48 hour break can do wonders. Very impressive play since the start of this, not easy feat grinding to over £1k on DYM's, Well done.
  • edited March 2014

I was rescued from an even worse session by the £11ers, 5 ran, & I won 4 of them. That made a HUGE difference to the numbers.

I felt I was a tad unlucky to win the other one, in fact. I did the Pot thing (with a PROPER HAND) when the blinds were big, & Mr Melt, he of the chickn, looked like folding, as the timebar edged round. And then....he called. 

He had spanners of the miniature variety - shocking call - but had me stone cold drawing dead on the flop. Outrage!!!!!!!!! 

Pretty sure it was a spite call.   
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : No one likes seeing thier balance go down, then negative thoughts come in and your ultimatly trying to hard to win back what you lost, well it is for me. If your still playing well and just getting unlucky then crack on otherwise a 48 hour break can do wonders. Very impressive play since the start of this, not easy feat grinding to over £1k on DYM's, Well done.
    Posted by alex1229

Ahh, thank you Alex. Best fun I've ever had since I thrashed Orford in TKO. 

Whatever happened to him? Is he still around, still getting away with it?

• edited March 2014
    Morning Tony

I made the mental decision to forget about the Promo and just concentrate my normal game and results and my play were better last night.

Funny thing these mind games eh?
  • edited March 2014
    I was rescued from an even worse session by the £11ers, 5 ran, & I won 4 of them. That made a HUGE difference to the numbers.   I felt I was a tad unlucky to win the other one, in fact. I did the Pot thing (with a PROPER HAND) when the blinds were big, & Mr Melt, he of the chickn, looked like folding, as the timebar edged round. And then....he called.  He had spanners of the miniature variety - shocking call - but had me stone cold drawing dead on the flop. Outrage!!!!!!!!!   Pretty sure it was a spite call.   
    Posted by Tikay10

hehe, you must mean this beaut...

I wish you could see the other players stacks, because it was significant in my decision... my thinking may well be flawed - but here it is anyway. Maybe you could comment?:

you were shortest, me 2nd shortest with xxx as big stack. Now xxx doesnt like to use the fold button much - and is in the BB when I'm SB, so I was extremely cautious about stealing without a big hand either from the D or when in the SB. You may have noticed in the earlier stages I was limping from the SB with hands i might normally raise with. I believe he was the JJ63 guy.

I know that you like to steal preeeeetty wide, especially when the blinds are big (and especially against me it seems!).

so yeah, it was close, but I felt I was far enough ahead of your range to take the gamble and make the call, and still have 3bb left if I got scooped. If I had folded and waited another rotation we would have had almost equal stacks, and would be playing for my tourney life to make a call next time. or I would have to risk my tourney life by trying to steal one of xxx's blinds. 

If I did win this, I wouldn't have to risk my chips (and tourney) vs the bigger stacked xxx with anything other than a premium for a while because I would be one of the big stacks myself.

Hand History #758088964 (22:13 20/03/2014)

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    tikay1 Small blind  150.00 150.00 1245.00
    chicknMelt Big blind  300.00 450.00 1960.00
     Your hole cards
    • A

xxx Fold     
    yyy Fold     
    zzz Fold     
    tikay1 Raise  750.00 1200.00 495.00
    chicknMelt All-in  1960.00 3160.00 0.00
    tikay1 All-in  495.00 3655.00 0.00
    chicknMelt Unmatched bet  865.00 2790.00 865.00
    tikay1 Show
    • K
    • K

chicknMelt Show
    • A

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

• A

chicknMelt Win high Flush to the Ace 1395.00  2260.00
    chicknMelt Win low 7-low 1395.00  3655.00
  • edited March 2014
    You sort of sense a bad session though. I lost 5 of the first 6, ugh, but the first £5.50 one, I exited in Level ONE, lol. A chap was playing "quite fast", potting it pre every hand, & potting every street. He was dangerous.   He was going to bust the whole table in no time, or bust himself. I decided to sit quietly, & watch tricks. I could win this baby without even playing a hand. It was awesome to watch, too. Pot pot pot, amazing scenes & he was getting to showdown with a really eclectic range of stuff.   But then I found the old A-A-K-2, Double Suited....... I tried to find the fold, but failed, & we went pot pot ppot pre, & got the lot in. You know the rest.  He had four hearts in his hand, Q-J-9-6, then flopped the straight & turned the flush.   I did feel rather silly, " wp lads, gl all " sorta thing as I exited, tail firmly between legs.    
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi TK - another question: you seem to only be considering folding or raising in a spot like this... what about just callind a raise in the early stages rather than getting it in vs a player like this, since you know you have no fold equity? I know this is about as big a hand as you can get, but your still only have just under 70% equity against his exact hand. My guessing is that he played badly postflop too, so if you flop well, can still get a decent amount of chips on average.

• edited March 2014

Friday 21st March

Played 30

Won 21

Lost 9

Split....

£3.30 - Played 18, Won 13, Lost 5

£5.50 - Played 7, won 4 lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £45.10

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.50

REWARD POINTS = 139

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,324.59

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,431 (= £24.31)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 527

Won 307

Lost 220

Win-rate, January, 58.25%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £174.23

Profit
    £0.33
  • edited March 2014

An interesting evening.

First, the numbers.

Played MUCH better last night, won 4 of 5 @ £11 for the 2nd successive night, & won the game count at each of the three levels, (£3.30, £5.50, & £11) by a total of 21-9.

I had 139 Reward Points on the board by 9pm, so I was heading for a 200 Reward Point evening, which I wanted as I can't play tomorrow (working) but the session had to be truncated early, as we all know.

Still, I was £45 ahead at the time, a huge night for me, & I recovered the lost ground from the last 2 nights, & it's possible I'd have given some of that back, so I guess I should not be displeased, & I'm not.

I have not included the games I was sat in when the DYM's were paused, as I've been refunded my Buy-In on those, so they don't count & have not been included. (See next post).

Anyway, we are going along nicely again, & I need to push on from here. 3,000 Reward Points (which gives me a 50% increases in my payment) is now well in sight, & I should cover that easily, & I'm making a bit of profit, too.

Big session planned for tonight, as I can't play tomorrow, so I want to try & reach 2,600 Reward Points by close of play tonight. Be nice to make a profit, too, but that, as we know, is down to Lady Variance, who remains as unpredictable as ever.
  • edited March 2014

So, the wheels fell off last night, & a lot of people are a bit cross, quite understandably.

And when these things happen - mercifully rarely these days, especially compared to the early days - therev are always people who have been disadvantaged. 

Those who bust out early ask for their money back, those with big stacks say "I would have won". And that's understandable, too. Whether it is logical, is another matter. 

Here's the postion in one of my "Paused" (then Voided) DYM's last night.

6 players remain, despite it being Level 8. Two have been "AWAY" from the very start, & have not been able to play a hand. 

Blinds are 400-800. 

Stack sizes.....

45 (AWAY)

560 (AWAY)

2,685 (Me)

So yeah, I reckon I was about 90% certain to "win". The two "AWAY" stacks had zero chance, & one player had 1.5 Bigs, & about to Post his BB. 

My Buy-In was Voided, of course, so I could take the view "I was robbed", as so many others have. 

But was I?

What if the two "AWAY" players (AWAY through no fault of their own) had been sat in from the start. Would the stack sizes still favour me?

Well we will never know. That's how it is, there is no way of knowing, & no way of settling these things in a manner satisfactory to all.

Just one of those things, & we have to roll with the punches.  

• edited March 2014

I tell you what DID annoy me though, & I was LIVID.

One of those AWAY stacks was my Latte Gopher, Dylan 12.

Unfair or not, I'd have LOVED him to have been blinded out & got nothing. I would, I would.

And I'll tell you why......
  • edited March 2014

Early in last night's session I had 7 Tables going, & so had not noticed that on one of my Tables was the Big Man himself, Lol-Dylan12.

Once things calmed down a bit, & I was down to 4 Tables, we chatted a bit in the Chat-Box as you do. (Another player did not approve, I gather, as whilst we were chatting, he typed "zzzz, yorn". I assume he meant "yawn", but that's another story).

Anyways, Lol-Dylan had over 5,000 chips. How do these things happen? Lol-Dylan, with 5,000 Chips in a DYM. WHAT? He must have got VERY lucky.

And then it happened, the old "spite call". 

I shoved. Can't remember my exact hand, but I had something like A-A-K-2 Double Suited. Ooohhhh.

"Come on Lol-Dylan, call THAT sonny boy", I'm thinking.

And he did call. (There ought to be a Station called "Dylan Station").

Guess his hand.  

• edited March 2014

Yup.

Can't remember it EXACTLY, but it was something like......

7-7-7-8

Worst hand ever ever ever, bad high hand, nut bad low hand.

I looked it up. The 28,937 best ranked hand in PLO8. Out of 29,000.

HE CALLED ME WITH 7-7-7-8.

OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Tikay, here is one for you showing the joys of Omaha HL Cash. It is from yesterday evening on another site (sacrilege I know but HL cash is a little sparse on here).

I have As Ah Ks 2d and 4 bet pre flop - I get called by one player.
    The flop comes down 6d 10s Js to give me an overpair, the nut flush draw and nut low back door draw. All the money goes in on the flop and my opponent turns over........
    5s 6c Ks 2d to show 3rd pair, second nut flush draw and bad backdoor low draw. I am loving life until......

turn is a 5h giving him 2 pair and river is a 9d, so he scoops me.

On the flop I was something like 75% for the high and 90% to win any low.

It was, of course, the biggest pot I played all night and the £140 made the difference between winning £10 and winning £150 over the session.

I typed 'nh, nice pot' and went to have my tea......
  • edited March 2014

Saturday 22nd March

Played 31

Won 15

Lost 16

Split....

£3.30 - Played 23, Won 9, Lost 14

£5.50 - Played 8, won 5 lost 3

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £8.70

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.28

REWARD POINTS = 103

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,315.29

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,534 (= £25.34)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 558

Won 322

Lost 236

Win-rate, January, 57.70%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £165.53

Profit
    £0.30
  • edited March 2014

Hmm.

Well, the least said the better I suppose.

Not entirely sure my Game-Count figures are 100% accurate, what with some being refunded etc, & I got a bit confused. But they are right within 1 or 2. The main thing is that the Account Balance is correct, that one is accurate, & that's the one that matters, the bottom line.

No poker-playing for me tonight, am doing the Show with Miss Fowler of the Anna. Normal service resumes tomorrow.  

• edited March 2014

Plenty of games last night, but almost all were £3.30, just a sprinkling of £5.50, but not a single £11-er ran.

Ran VERY well early, & won the first 5 games on the bounce. Easy game.

Then LOST the next SEVEN on the bounce. This variance thing is really quite something, eh?

It was all up & down after that.

Despite the problems,the vast majority of the PLO8 DYM regulars were in good heart, & we organised a bit of Karoake in the chat box, told stories, & discussed Cambridge United's big day at Wembley today.

Anyway, have a great Sunday, whatever your plans.    
  • edited March 2014

That hand against Melty, last post on the previous page.

First up, not the best shove from me (K-K-7-4) but you know how it is, sometimes you gotta do these things. As 80% of my shoves don't get called, it's not so bad though.

It was a good call by you. Personally, I rarely call with a pure low only, but that's just me. 

The game-dynamic in that game was incredible, & I was loving it.

You had position, but I had "first to open" advantage, sort of reverse position. And we both knew that the fella behind you was not folding to anything, so no good bluffing or shoving into him with spanners. So I had no choice but to shove into you.

And I knew that you knew that I knew, etc. 

Most enjoyable.  

PS - Fold next time. Calling my bets is disrespectful.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi TK - another question: you seem to only be considering folding or raising in a spot like this... what about just callind a raise in the early stages rather than getting it in vs a player like this, since you know you have no fold equity? I know this is about as big a hand as you can get, but your still only have just under 70% equity against his exact hand. My guessing is that he played badly postflop too, so if you flop well, can still get a decent amount of chips on average.
    Posted by chicknMelt
    You are probably right, yeah.

Don't forget, though, when I raise pre with any big hand, & I get called, I KNOW that 90% (?) of the time, the caller is drawing to a low. 2 High Cards on the flop, he cheacks, I c-Bet, game over, send me the chips. The amount of chips I gather in thst way is huge, & does more than compensate for when it goes wrong sometimes.  

I sort of "pre-programme" myself when 6 & 8 Tabling to do certain things in certain spots. If I had given thought, yes, I may have done that.

I sort of over-do the "never limp or peel" thing a bit sometimes. You make a fair point.

Mind you, on the rare occasions I do limp (usually a misclick), the chat-box explodes.
    OOH, KENDALL LIMPED! 

I got busted in a game last night, & the guy who bust me typed "tut tut, you of all people bluffing". Which sort of miffed me a bit, but I was on 8 Tables, so could not really reply.

I had decent aces, two suits, & A-3. I potted every street. My river bet was dubious, I had ONE pair (Aces) on a flushing board, & A-3 for 2nd nut low. He can't have nut nut very often, can he?  He did this time. Whoops.

But the thing is, the VERY essence of PLO8 is pressuring players who are drawing, ususlly to the Low. You get chips by forcing folds. It goes wrong sometimes, but it goes right more often than not.

Swings & things.     
  • edited March 2014
    Yup. Can't remember it EXACTLY, but it was something like...... 7-7-7-8 Worst hand ever ever ever, bad high hand, nut bad low hand. I looked it up. The 28,937 best ranked hand in PLO8. Out of 29,000. HE CALLED ME WITH 7-7-7-8.   OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted by Tikay10
    lol, your memory is terrible but it did feel good to bust you ;-) 

With the outage friday night I tried everything to open the table but couldn't, all I could see in the lobby was my chips decreasing and yours increasing, arrrrgh!! 

I thought there had been some threads written on the forum regarding a few issues with tables uploading and when I saw them I was happy enough then as I knew it wasn't a problem my end so I closed down and was going to contact CS Saturday morning about a refund but there was no need, full repayment received into my sky account so that made me happy but what made me even happier was the fact that you didn't actually 'double' your money from me :-) 
  • edited March 2014
    Early in last night's session I had 7 Tables going, & so had not noticed that on one of my Tables was the Big Man himself, Lol-Dylan12. Once things calmed down a bit, & I was down to 4 Tables, we chatted a bit in the Chat-Box as you do. (Another player did not approve, I gather, as whilst we were chatting, he typed "zzzz, yorn". I assume he meant " yawn ", but that's another story).   Anyways, Lol-Dylan had over 5,000 chips. How do these things happen? Lol-Dylan, with 5,000 Chips in a DYM. WHAT? He must have got VERY lucky.   And then it happened, the old "spite call".  I shoved. Can't remember my exact hand, but I had something like A-A-K-2 Double Suited. Ooohhhh. "Come on Lol-Dylan, call THAT sonny boy ", I'm thinking.   And he did call. (There ought to be a Station called "Dylan Station").   Guess his hand.    
    Posted by Tikay10

lol, as if! More like k393

• edited March 2014

Crikey, the days just whizz past.

I did not play Sunday, as I was working, but I played Monday & Tuesday.

Monday went OK..........Tuesday had a health warning, ugh.

• edited March 2014

Monday 24th March

Played 46

Won 23

Lost 23

Split....

£3.30 - Played 30, Won 13, Lost 17

£5.50 - Played 11, won 6 lost 5

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £13.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.29

REWARD POINTS = 195

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,328.79

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,729 (= £27.29)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 604

Won 345

Lost 259

Win-rate, January, 57.11%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £179.03

Profit
    £0.30