You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Message in reply to deleted Post.

I could not agree more, & I DID see your (also now deleted) Post last night.

Honestly, I totally empathise. So much chuntering, it does my head in. Chuntering is for real life, our jobs, the baby crying all night, the next door neighbour moaning because my fence blew down in the winter storms. Poker, & poker forums, are where we (should) come to relax, unwind, have our fun. Each to their own, I suppose.

Everything looks & feels different, I suppose, at my age. Life's too short, & all that. Literally.

See you soon mate, we'll have a chat then.   

• edited April 2014
    People complain because they like complaining its part of human nature. Its not just on this poker forum its in life in general.

I worked in customer service for about 7 years so I know!

When people are happy they generally say nothing. 

I wouldnt take much notice of most of the complaints here i think its people just venting their annoyane but they get over it pretty soon.
  • edited April 2014

Morning you pair of grumpy old men sitting in the corner of the cafe putting the world to rights : )

Been a good read this 'diary' has, so TY for taking the time doing it Tikay. I have never got my head round PL08 but I do love playing PLO. As you would say,.....each to their own.

Just put bets on FIVE horses (was going to limit myself to only 3, oops). 
  • edited April 2014

Ha, not wrong, Ger.

And keep up the "Ambassador" work mate, you are a diamond, and EXACTLY the sort of person I admire so much in poker. What was it Kennedy said?

"....ask not what your poker can do for you, ask what you can do for poker...."

Or something like that.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Morning you pair of grumpy old men sitting in the corner of the cafe putting the world to rights : ) Been a good read this 'diary' has, so TY for taking the time doing it Tikay. I have never got my head round PL08 but I do love playing PLO. As you would say,.....each to their own. Just put bets on FIVE horses (was going to limit myself to only 3, oops). 
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Ha!

Fair comment. It's what old folks do, once we get too old to ride high horses.

I'm not going away, a new challenge awaits.

I HAVE to have some sort of discipline, or my bankroll just sort of dribbles away, so yes, I'll be doing another challenge.

The previous one was a bit intense, though, I got so caught up in the fun, it left little room for other stuff in my life. As you know, I have another, much bigger forum to look after elsewhere, which I own a goodly lump of, & I've neglected that a bit. I keep (used to keep.....) a Diary there, it has over a million views, but I've just not had time whilst doing my little Challenge here. I help run a little Betting Club/syndicate, too, ditto ditto, I've not had enough time to devote to that either. Our ROI has plunged from 5%, to 2.5% in the last few months, so I need to give it a bit more tlc. I also have a little dream to try to help make the Sky Poker Forum a nicer place to visit, but I'm not doing so good on that one, lol. 

But I'll be starting a new Challenge almost immediately. I have things to do today & tomorrow, I am up in Leeds on Monday, and a new (work) "project" has landed on my desk  recently, so I need to get up to speed on that, but we'll get started pretty sharpish, all being well.

Good luck with your National bets.     
  • edited April 2014
    Lol you were quick to see that It just looked a it attention seeking (which it wasn't) I was depressed reading all that stuff Going for most post/delete in 24 hours :) This one going too (please dont mischievous Maxally)
    Posted by Jac35

Would I?  

• edited April 2014
    Sky ever thought about bringing on some dude who plays the nosebleeds on the site, or even just a crusher 1/2 reg like Sikas on or something?
  • edited April 2014
    Sky ever thought about bringing on some dude who plays the nosebleeds on the site, or even just a crusher 1/2 reg like Sikas on or something?
    Posted by SkyWages
    Hi Mr Wages.

Not that I'm aware, no.

Not sure it would be a good thing, to be honest, to have a "sicko" who busted everyone left right & centre!

The traffic at those Levels has increased a good bit pf late, from what I can see, & I think it just has to be allowed to grow organically.

Guess they could give Orford a spin.....

• edited April 2014

I've not forgotten Pompeynic, I'll deal with that next, but first, the next Challenge.

For me, I really need it to be PLO or PLO8, as I suck at NLH. I SO enjot the 4 card game, too, I absolutely adore the nuances & thought processes needed. Swimming in a shallower pond helps, too.

JockBMW proposed a fw ideas, & I will have another look st that, & maybe try & help him with it. 

Burt one I REALLY liked was sent to me by Squawky (Haek7112), who is a good guy, he's the chap who often helps out with "running updates" when we do Community stuff.

This is, with the personal stuff removed, is what he sent me......

"....I was wondering if its possible to have a word with the powers that be to run an Omaha Hi-Lo evening and have the schedule rearrange slightly.

Starting at 8 have 3 tournaments

8PM £1.10

8:30 £2.20

9PM £3.30

Best 2 finishes out of 3 for a bit of fun, im quite happy to do updates for it during the evening

Maybe call it 123 Hi Lo or Hi Lo 123 its Omaha we go.

Just thought it may add some fun and get some more interest in the wonderful game of Hi Lo......"

I think it might need a little bit of tweaking, but I do think it ticks a LOT of boxes, mainly that it is reasonably affordable, & so not elitist, & "only" requires folks to 3 table at the very max.

We could also, maybe, alternate it with a PLO version.

I'd need to see if the Suits would amend the Tourney schedule, of course, & I'm not sure I want to do that, I send them e-Mails by the score, & I sense they get a bit fed up with my constant stream of suggestions. But I'm up there on Monday, & if they seem to be in good heart, maybe I'll float the idea.  

Maybe we could so something along those lines, maybe 2 or 3 nights per week.

All comments & suggestions welcome.

Oh, & thanks go to JockBMW & Squawky for the ideas.

• edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Mr Wages. Not that I'm aware, no. Not sure it would be a good thing, to be honest, to have a "sicko" who busted everyone left right & centre! The traffic at those Levels has increased a good bit pf late, from what I can see, & I think it just has to be allowed to grow organically. Guess they could give Orford a spin.....  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Fair enough, you guys have your demographic and I respect that. Just think it could be cool to have analysis from that perspective on the show. Make players aware of the more abstract side of the game, as well as learning the fundementals from the team of solid guys you have already.

Thanks for the response, used to watch u lot on PNL and always been a fan.

Sincerely,

Someone who wants free reads on Sikas.
  • edited April 2014
    This thread has been a great read and great achievement but all good things come to an end so they say so onwards and upwards :o)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Fair enough, you guys have your demographic and I respect that. Just think it could be cool to have analysis from that perspective on the show. Make players aware of the more abstract side of the game, as well as learning the fundementals from the team of solid guys you have already. Thanks for the response, used to watch u lot on PNL and always been a fan. Sincerely, Someone who wants free reads on Sikas.
    Posted by SkyWages
    Ahh, I'm sorry, I completely misread your intention.

I thought you meant Sky Poker engage a high roller to PLAY on the Site, but you meant as an Analyst on the TV Show, apologies.

Well that's a very different question.

As you perceptively note, the bulk of the Analysis addresses fundamentals. For me, that's about my limit, or it is in NLH, though I think I can manage a level or two higher in PLO & PLO8. 

I would have thought that several of our regular Team can do the bigger stuff though, the likes of Redmond, Scotty, Ross & co all play, successfully I believe, the bigger stakes. 

We (Ch 861) do have some plans to bring, more regularly, some "faces" onto the Channel, respected guys who play the biggest games. More news soon......

You watched PNL? Good grief, it amazes me how many players who watched that are still around, & remember it with affection. Happy days, but a lot of water has flowed under the old bridge since then.

• edited April 2014
    This thread has been a great read and great achievement but all good things come to an end so they say so onwards and upwards :o)
    Posted by a00rock
    Ooh, thank you Mr Rock.

I'm not quite done yet though, we shall find a new Challenge & have a bit of fun. If it ever ceases to be fun, I'll be off like a shot, I promise you, I really don't take the game as serious as many seem to.
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Tony

Just like to say thank you for encouraging me (and others) to start playing PLO8 with this thread.
    I like the idea of a PLO8 MTT evening.
    I would certainly join in with that.

Just as an aside i posted a question on the forum yesterday about a late reg issue in PLO8 (non guaranteed) mtt's at the moment.
    There is late reg in the PLO games but not in the PLO8 ones.
    Is there a reason for this?

Cheers
  • edited April 2014
    Hi Tony Just like to say thank you for encouraging me (and others) to start playing PLO8 with this thread. I like the idea of a PLO8 MTT evening. I would certainly join in with that. Just as an aside i posted a question on the forum yesterday about a late reg issue in PLO8 (non guaranteed) mtt's at the moment. There is late reg in the PLO games but not in the PLO8 ones. Is there a reason for this? Cheers
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick. Yeah, it was fun, eh?

Yes, as it happens, I did see your Post yesterday, & I made a little note to ask the Suits on Monday. There may be a logical reason, & I'm not assuming otherwise, but it does look a bit odd to me. Maybe, with so much going on up there at the moment, it just got overlooked. If so, it should be easy to change. We'll see.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ahh, I'm sorry, I completely misread your intention. I thought you meant Sky Poker engage a high roller to PLAY on the Site, but you meant as an Analyst on the TV Show, apologies. Well that's a very different question.   As you perceptively note, the bulk of the Analysis addresses fundamentals. For me, that's about my limit, or it is in NLH, though I think I can manage a level or two higher in PLO & PLO8.  I would have thought that several of our regular Team can do the bigger stuff though, the likes of Redmond, Scotty, Ross & co all play, successfully I believe, the bigger stakes.  We (Ch 861) do have some plans to bring, more regularly, some "faces" onto the Channel, respected guys who play the biggest games. More news soon...... You watched PNL? Good grief, it amazes me how many players who watched that are still around, & remember it with affection. Happy days, but a lot of water has flowed under the old bridge since then.       
    Posted by Tikay10

Sweet, great news :). Look forward to it.

Haha! Weird how far you guys have come! JohnBoyRebel still my hero lol.

• edited April 2014
    Hi Tikay

Congratulations on reaching your target, it's just a shame that it sees an end to the challenge. Many of us have thoroughly enjoyed playing against you and also reading the 'daily' updates.

I hope that it does not mean it's the last we see of you at the PLO8 tables. Whilst all of us enjoy the banter and chat on the PLO8 tables they just wouldn't be the same without you. If you stop playing I will have to set up a direct debit to 'Help the Aged' as I only play to ensure that you have enough funds to keep the heating on during the cold winter months!

Finally I love the idea of a few more PLO8 MTTs, but any chance of slightly higher buy ins? £5.50, £11 or even £22? It's not a lot to pay for an MTT where you can have hours of fun.

Keep up the good work Tikay and good luck with your next challenge. 
  • edited April 2014
    Hello PLO8 community. That is it I am done. It has been fun and great banter but losing is just not THAT much fun. It is obvious that I am just not good enough and to be fair I have not played well in any form of poker for a while and my brain is scrambled. Goodbye and good luck Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick, (hope you are still here!).

First up, how lovely that so many of the PLO8 Crew offered supportive words.

I know that on the night in question, you ran a bit bad, & lost 4 on the bounce. That hurts when you have a "thin" bankroll, I've been there, believe me. I play off a 200+ Buy-In 'roll at present, & it hurts me when I lose 3 or 4 on the trot, so I know it must have pinched a bit.

I have watched you play, & I don't see any glaring weaknesses, you don't serial call or limp with rubbish. A few things need tweaking, but easily enough sorted.  I use the "notes" to colour-code every opponent, & I have you as Green - & there are THREE colours beneath Green, so you look OK to me.

I will not & must not encourage you to play beyond your means, so if you've quit, or want to take a break, fine.

Howevva.......

If you fancy it, here's the deal.

We'll swap phone numbers (by PM, NOT on the open Forum), & I'll play a PLO8 DYM (you must NOT play it) with you on the other end of the 'phone. 

And I'll "think out loud" on every single hand, or action, & you can ask questions or whatever.

We play hands on auto-pilot if we've played enough, but there is still an instictive "check-list" before every single action, or play. 

Betting & Raising ranges are crucial, position, how to change our game at early/mid/late levels of a DYM, why we might pass very good hands on occasion, what we should or should not shove with, when, & why, that sort of thing. Every single action & thought process.  

If you are interested, let me know, & we'll do it. We'll need to swap phone numbers, but I'll wait to see if you fancy doing this first.

I'm able to do it any day next week except, maybe, Tuesday, as I'm doing the Show that night, so the day gets a bit crowded. I'm offline most of Monday (day) too, but that apart, you can take your pick. 

Up to you, Nick.

Hope, poker apart, life is good.    

• edited April 2014
    Hi Tikay Congratulations on reaching your target, it's just a shame that it sees an end to the challenge. Many of us have thoroughly enjoyed playing against you and also reading the 'daily' updates. I hope that it does not mean it's the last we see of you at the PLO8 tables. Whilst all of us enjoy the banter and chat on the PLO8 tables they just wouldn't be the same without you. If you stop playing I will have to set up a direct debit to 'Help the Aged' as I only play to ensure that you have enough funds to keep the heating on during the cold winter months! Finally I love the idea of a few more PLO8 MTTs, but any chance of slightly higher buy ins? £5.50, £11 or even £22? It's not a lot to pay for an MTT where you can have hours of fun. Keep up the good work Tikay and good luck with your next challenge. 
    Posted by Enut
    Hi Tuney,

Thank you.

DEFFO not the end of me at PLO8, though I may mix it with PLO. I'm in love with PLO8, might even marry it, & have kids, so no, I'll not be abandoning my first poker love.

Take the point about bigger buy-ins. Personally, yes, I'd prefer to play higher stakes, but many folks, especially those new to the game, can't manage that yet, & I'm determined not to leave those guys behind.

Maybe we could have different nights, with (any two from) "Mini", "Midi" & Maxi nights perhaps?

Thinking cap on.

Keep the ideas & suggestions coming, please.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Sweet, great news :). Look forward to it. Haha! Weird how far you guys have come! JohnBoyRebel still my hero lol.
    Posted by SkyWages
    Ooh yes, I remember him, JohnBoyRebel! One of the original Team Laggy.

Who was your favourite Presenter on LNP? I still see most of them from time to time.  
  • edited April 2014
    Wow Tikay thats pretty amazing. I knew you were a top guy but this tops it all.

You know we are all wonderng what colour we are now? haha

So hope nic comes back he is a great guy and a great player.
  • edited April 2014
    Wow Tikay thats pretty amazing. I knew you were a top guy but this tops it all. You know we are all wonderng what colour we are now? haha So hope nic comes back he is a great guy and a great player.
    Posted by gerardirl
    +1 To all of this!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Mick. Yeah, it was fun, eh? Yes, as it happens, I did see your Post yesterday, & I made a little note to ask the Suits on Monday. There may be a logical reason, & I'm not assuming otherwise, but it does look a bit odd to me. Maybe, with so much going on up there at the moment, it just got overlooked. If so, it should be easy to change. We'll see.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Not was , still is!

Just to reinforce the point:
    Was playing last night with Maca (Twiggy) and a couple of others, one whos name was D96RNWE.
    As an ex-Navy engineer i soon worked it out D96 was HMS Gloucester, RN Royal Navy , WE Weapons Engineer.
    So a convo was started and low and behold Maca was ex-Navy too.
    And the 4th player was Army engineer.
    Small world eh?

And yes we all had spanners in common :-)
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ooh yes, I remember him, JohnBoyRebel! One of the original Team Laggy.   Who was your favourite Presenter on LNP? I still see most of them from time to time.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Probably Casper or Dr Tom. Remember really liking the way they thought about the game! Casper if I had to pick one, but you were all good.
  • edited April 2014
    Oh no! If you go, who is going to entertain us with stories of concrete, trains, planes and bentos pies?
    Looking forward to 'seeing' you again when you pop in for your fix, but please don't make it too often, I do so much better when you ain't around!
    I'll celebrate your success and wish you luck in your next endeavour, by tonight having not one, but two bags of twiglets.

Love the idea of x3 PLO8 tournies a night starting in quick succession. Hope it comes to fruition. As well as potentially being great fun, also sounds just like the sort of thing I need to give me a kick in the bum. A new challenge and whatnot. If the tournies do indeed occur, hopefully more people will be attracted to the game. I enjoy it so much, I want everyone who plays Holdem to give it a go too.

Take care and eat your greens.
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Not was , still is! Just to reinforce the point: Was playing last night with Maca (Twiggy) and a couple of others, one whos name was D96RNWE. As an ex-Navy engineer i soon worked it out D96 was HMS Gloucester, RN Royal Navy , WE Weapons Engineer. So a convo was started and low and behold Maca was ex-Navy too. And the 4th player was Army engineer. Small world eh? And yes we all had spanners in common :-)
    Posted by VespaPX
    One of these days, we three, AND HMS Amazon AND Artificer1 will be on a table at the same time.

Funny how we all seem fond of a drink!
  • edited April 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Nick, (hope you are still here!). First up, how lovely that so many of the PLO8 Crew offered supportive words.   I know that on the night in question, you ran a bit bad, & lost 4 on the bounce. That hurts when you have a "thin" bankroll, I've been there, believe me. I play off a 200+ Buy-In 'roll at present, & it hurts me when I lose 3 or 4 on the trot, so I know it must have pinched a bit.   I have watched you play, & I don't see any glaring weaknesses, you don't serial call or limp with rubbish. A few things need tweaking, but easily enough sorted.  I use the "notes" to colour-code every opponent, & I have you as Green - & there are THREE colours beneath Green, so you look OK to me.   I will not & must not encourage you to play beyond your means, so if you've quit, or want to take a break, fine.   Howevva....... If you fancy it, here's the deal.   We'll swap phone numbers (by PM, NOT on the open Forum), & I'll play a PLO8 DYM (you must NOT play it) with you on the other end of the 'phone.  And I'll "think out loud" on every single hand, or action, & you can ask questions or whatever. We play hands on auto-pilot if we've played enough, but there is still an instictive "check-list" before every single action, or play.  Betting & Raising ranges are crucial, position, how to change our game at early/mid/late levels of a DYM, why we might pass very good hands on occasion, what we should or should not shove with, when, & why, that sort of thing. Every single action & thought process.   If you are interested, let me know, & we'll do it. We'll need to swap phone numbers, but I'll wait to see if you fancy doing this first.   I'm able to do it any day next week except, maybe, Tuesday, as I'm doing the Show that night, so the day gets a bit crowded. I'm offline most of Monday (day) too, but that apart, you can take your pick.  Up to you, Nick. Hope, poker apart, life is good.      
    Posted by Tikay10
    Hi Tikay and all the pl08 community.
    Firstly sincere congratulations on the completion of your challenge,a wonderful achievement a £1,000  profit at these stakes...incredible.
    However you will probably not be remembered for rinsing us all at the tables! For at least tripling single handedly the traffic on pl08 comes a very close 2nd.Your outstanding achievement over the last 6 months has to be summed up by your post to pompeynic...To do all this for one person? surely not! All who have played the 'best game' on Skypoker for the last 6 months know it's true,and you have helped and motivated at least another 100 lost souls along the way.
    On a personal level,as you know i foolishly declared i would not be playing dym's anymore..for several reasons all of them petty!Idid carry on watching the games and realised that our true friend/foe Miss Varience hits us all.For this reason i am back with a new attitude and hopefully in my own small way will help others to enjoy the game.
    Lastly in 6 months i never heard you once say a bad word to anybody,something i shall take forward into my poker life.Thank you Mr.Kendall for being a fine teacher,and all the best for your future conquests.
  • edited April 2014

Congrats on achieving your goal TK.

All the more impressive to do it while retaining a good natured patience despite some of the odd questions / comments and worse which only you are subject to on the tables. 

Good luck with the next challenge.
  • edited April 2014
    Vwp tikay
    If it wasn't for you i would never have started playing dyms.
    Your advice has been phenomenal.
    And your enthusiasm contagious.
    You might be a little thin skinned - jac style - but there are a lot worse things one could be.
    If you do get a 123 night going i will do my best to support it.
    Gl gl

• edited April 2014
    hmm still waiting on my reply  tunnocks!!!!!!!

even got an older picture for the lets just say more mature man :@)

lol no seriously has been great playing and watching and trying too learn fro, you and of course reading this diary really well done on a very tidy profit for playing a game you love.

really hope you still visit us and continue too try and get this great game more recognition and hopefully soon sky can muster some sort of league or the idea jock had.

maybe you could ask the bigwigs too reschedule the 10.25 game for an hour(most say it is too late as they have work was spamming tables on wed and friday night  managed too get 12 in them compared too 5 on thursday when i did not annoy people so people will play but the timing needs tweaked a bit) earlier and the same with the game at 7.55 move it too 7.25 and up it too £2.20 and put a £50 gtd on it. so the line up would be...7.25 £2.20 entry £50 gtd..8.25 £5.50entry £100 gtd..and then the last 9.25 £3.30 again £50 gtd

pretty sure sky could try this for a week or 2 too see how it works out and it won,t break the bank just a thought and maybe do a league nothing major prize wise maybe 1st gets a free entry too the 100gtd and so on

anyway just a thought and hope too see u back on the tables soon ..all the best churchy