You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Just wanted to ask for opinions, tonight I just stopped playing because I was playing really badly, do not know why maybe a little tired but making sloppy mistakes. Should you stop or just keep playing and try and get through the rough patch? thanks Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nick
    Apologies if my bad call, which got there, contributed to your overall feelings last night.
    From what i've seen you're more than good enough at this game.
    Just take a break and come back refreshed.
    Good Luck
    Mick
  • edited July 2014

Had another session last night, & once again managed 30 games in 4 hours, so traffic levels aren't too bad all things considered.

Pleased to say that 4 games ran @ £11, so thats another good sign. Less pleased to say I only won 2 of them, & I think I made a bad error in one of the two that I lost. I don't mind being bad-beated, not in the least, cuts both ways, but unforced errors make me a bit cross with myself. Harumph.

Made a loss for the 2nd night running, only about £8, and I'm defo a bit DYM ring-rusty, so thats not so bad I suppose, though I'll be relieved to post a winning night sooner rather than later, especially after I had a torrid time at the tables in Vegas. Somehow - don't even ask - I managed to play 16 games @ £3.30, & win exactly 25% of them. Ugh. Fortunately, winning 8 of 10 @ £5.50 saved me from a really bad night, but I really need to pay these £3.30 jobbies more respect.   

Lovely, really lovely atmo on all the tables last night. I'm really not able to chat much whilst mostly 6-Tabling (age, failing dexterity & all that), so pardon me for not joining in the banter as much as I'd like. 

Hope to see a few of you tonight, when I hope to get another 30 Games in, especially as I'll be AWOL tomorrow & Saturday, as I have to see someone about a dog.

The boring "numbers" report will follow shortly.   

• edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay,

Just wanted to say thank you for your blogs while you were away.  You put alot of work into them and I for one loved reading every one of them.  I'm heading out there next month and some of the info was really useful.

Welcome home and look forward to seeing you on the show soon.

DTM
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay, Just wanted to say thank you for your blogs while you were away.  You put alot of work into them and I for one loved reading every one of them.  I'm heading out there next month and some of the info was really useful. Welcome home and look forward to seeing you on the show soon. DTM
    Posted by Donttelmum
    Thank you!

I still have 3 or 4 Vegas Blogs to Post, but I just never had enough time in Vegas, as each one takes me 4 or 5 hours to do, I'm the original one-finger typist.

Where are you staying, & why are you going in August, if I may ask? Can't believe you are missing the UKPC 6-Max for a trip to the Nevada desert.....

Think my next Show is a week today.
  • edited July 2014

2nd July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 14

Lost 16

£3.30, P 16, W 4, L 12

£5.50, P 10, W 8 L 2

£11, P4, W 2, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,269.20

Closing Balance = £1,261.40

Profirt Loss on Night - £7.80

Profit Loss on Month = £32.60

REWARD POINTS on night = 136

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 246 (= £2.46)

• edited July 2014

Will you be just sticking to the PLO8 games this month Tikay? Or will you perhaps include some PLO games too? I often click on these games and there seems to be none running when I do. I confess that I do not understand PLO8, but I do get PLO, hence my question.

Welcome back BTW. Orford has been smashing* his BR challenge while you have been on that long 'holiday'

*may contain nuts
  • edited July 2014
    I tried to get Orford to move across from the Hold'em DYMs to "our world" last night, giving the extra incentive of how good it would feel to take Tikay's money but even that failed to convince him.

I've played 4 of these over the last two nights and managed to cash in all four (variance is due to hit any time now), watching you manage a short stack in one was a pure lesson in the game.

There was one player on one table last night who I just couldn't figure out, none of his hands seemed to make any sense when they went to showdown, and in the end I just decided to avoid confrontations with that player unless I had at least one end completely locked up.

Anyway, there may well be more value in these now if Macacgirl does "retire" from them, I still think she is the best player of PLO8 I've come across on Sky.
  • edited July 2014
    Will you be just sticking to the PLO8 games this month Tikay? Or will you perhaps include some PLO games too? I often click on these games and there seems to be none running when I do. I confess that I do not understand PLO8, but I do get PLO, hence my question. Welcome back BTW. Orford has been smashing* his BR challenge while you have been on that long 'holiday' *may contain nuts
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Yes, I may - almost certainly - have a few PLO nights Alan.

I had actually intended to make July a PLO only month, but I wanted to get my eye back in first. I looked frequently the last 2 nights at the PLO DYM Lobby, & it was very very quiet indeed.

But I guess if I bang the drum, make a bit of noise here & on Twitter etc, we could raise awareness & soon get the traffic up, though I'd be a bit diasappointed if it reduced the PLO8 traffic in doing so, which is very possible.

One game I will not be playing though is No Limit Omaha DYM's, as (personally) I think No Limit destroys the very essence & beauty of Omaha.

I was actually considering - still am - driving down to Cardiff this afternoon, as they have a GUKPT £75 Omaha jobbie tonight, but it's a pretty long drive, & my worry is it will only get 15 or 20 runners, so barely worthwhile.

Orford & his Bankroll Challenge? To be honest, Orford IS a challenge. An utterly hopeless lost cause, imo.

PS - Well done on your double World Cup Super Six thing bink. How on earth did you manage that? 

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? :   One game I will not be playing though is No Limit Omaha DYM's, as (personally) I think No Limit destroys the very essence & beauty of Omaha.    

.   PS - Well done on your double World Cup Super Six thing bink. How on earth did you manage that?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I agree with not playing the No limit.

I may of had a little help from my lad, who at 13 years, is still into football etc and not at the stage to get involved with girls yet :)

If Jac35 can make money at NLH DYM's, then I will certainly give it a whirl in the PLO ones if traffic builds in them.
  • edited July 2014
    I tried to get Orford to move across from the Hold'em DYMs to "our world" last night, giving the extra incentive of how good it would feel to take Tikay's money but even that failed to convince him. I've played 4 of these over the last two nights and managed to cash in all four (variance is due to hit any time now), watching you manage a short stack in one was a pure lesson in the game. There was one player on one table last night who I just couldn't figure out, none of his hands seemed to make any sense when they went to showdown, and in the end I just decided to avoid confrontations with that player unless I had at least one end completely locked up. Anyway, there may well be more value in these now if Macacgirl does "retire" from them, I still think she is the best player of PLO8 I've come across on Sky.
    Posted by FCHD

Orford is just scared to play me, thats the top & bottom of it.

I think I played in all 4 of those you cashed in. I may even have cashed in one. You are very solid & correct.

Me manage a shortstack? It's what I do best. Just as well, too.....

You mentioned last night in the Chat Box after I doubled up early that I was out of my Comfort Zone, & you were spot on.

I know the player you refer to when you say "makes no sense". Each to their own I suppose, but I saw you type "I'm confused". I can't comment on stuff like that really, I'd get in trouble, but I know exactly what you mean.

I lost a hand (all-in pre-flop) last night very early in a game, we both had full stacks, I had double suited Aces (A-A-K-3), & I nerarly fainted when I saw Villain's hand - Q-9-9-8! He scooped the hand though, lol.

I have a fairly good understanding of PLO8 strategy, especially as to starting hands, & I'm pretty sure (I'll check when I get home) that Q-9-9-8 will be ranked about 4,000th out of 5,000 ranked hands, so I'll take that match up all day & night, but we are never THAT far ahead in PLO or PLO8, so it's not a disastrous play. Wish I could have that match-up 10,000 times though, I'd be back on a 747 to Vegas in a few months. ;)

Macacgirl best PLO8 DYM-er on Sky Poker? I'd not argue with that. Whizzy (not seen much of him lately) & footsie are both pretty formidable, too.    
  • edited July 2014

Just a quick explanation as to why, in theory, hands like Q-9-9-8 are deemed to be really really bad in PLO8.

Generally speaking, in PLO8, we want to avoid playing hands which contain a combo of 7's, 8's & 9's, this even extends, to a degree, to 10's.

Why?

Because the WHOLE IDEA in PLO8 is to try & "scoop", & middle cards make it very hard to scoop with, you are almost never scooping. Any straight means a low is out, OR you have the bad end of a high straight. Over time, more money is lost playing middle cards than any other hands in PLO8.

A bare 7 (say, A-A-2-7) is not a disaster, but the 7 is invariably a dangler, and a bad dangler at that, it is a "dead card" in our hand. So we are effectively playing with 3 cards (3 x 2 card combos) not 4 cards (6 x 2 card combos).

So a bare 7. 8 or 9 is just about manageable, but if our hand contains (say), these Combos....

7-8

7-9

8-9

7-7

8-8

9-8

then these hands WILL COST US MONEY in the long run.

There is a table which lists some 5,300 PLO8 Starting Hands. I doubt any hand with 2 cards in the 7-8-9-10 combos is in the top (i.e., most profitable) 4,000 of those 5,300 hands.

They can still bust A-A-2-2 though. Just not very often.

• edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : I agree with not playing the No limit. I may of had a little help from my lad, who at 13 years, is still into football etc and not at the stage to get involved with girls yet :)If Jac35 can make money at NLH DYM's, then I will certainly give it a whirl in the PLO ones if traffic builds in them.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    You're just mean! (And incorrect. Jac35 doesn't seem to be able to make much money at them right now)
  • edited July 2014
    Totally agree with Donttelmum. The blogs were great to read. They make me want to get out there one day.
    Hope you're well and haven't also got the Vegas flu like the Bromleys.
    Maybe catch up with you at the £250 side at DTD?
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thank you! I still have 3 or 4 Vegas Blogs to Post, but I just never had enough time in Vegas, as each one takes me 4 or 5 hours to do, I'm the original one-finger typist.   Where are you staying, & why are you going in August, if I may ask? Can't believe you are missing the UKPC 6-Max for a trip to the Nevada desert..... Think my next Show is a week today.
    Posted by Tikay10

Hi Tikay.  Only have flights booked.  No accomodation yet.  It's not solely a poker trip as I'm going with my better half, so we are planning on lots of travelling.  L.A, San Diego, San Fran, Vegas etc etc.  If it was up to me I'd defo be spending the majority of time in Vegas but I don't wear the trousers or choose the colour.

Miss the UKPC.....YOU WHAT!  No chance!  Heading off after that.

We are going then as it was the only time the gf could get time off work.  Not ideal I know but better than not going at all.  

Top 3 Vegas things not to miss?  I read about your road trips in your red Mustang and shall definetly be getting my hands on one of them.  I fancy going to see the meteor crater near Winslow in Northern Arizona.  Have you been?

Best go, this isn't winning no rake races!

• edited July 2014

BORING STUFF, LOOK AWAY NOW.

I looked up 8-9-9-Q in my little chart, & out of approx 5,300 starting hands assessed in PLO8 (there are far more of course, but the Data only differentiates between NON Suited, SINGLE Suited, & DOUBLE Suited, it does not count all the suit permutations) it ranks as follows.......

NON-Suited - 3,004

SINGLE Suited - 2,325

DOUBLE Suited - 1,834

Note how much difference DS makes to NS.

NS 7-7-8-9 comes in @ 3,658, 7-7-8-10 comes in at 4,291. For DS, knock around 1,500 off those numbers.

#1 is, of course, A-A-2-3 DS, followed by A-A-2-4 DS & A-A-2-5 DS. 

In PLO8, Aces are incredibly powerful, as they count both ways. Best not to go to war without at least one, in an ideal world. The top few hundred ranked hands all contain an Ace, of course.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay welcome back to the UK..........also loved the blogs.

Just to let you know I have sent you a pm regarding a problem a have. I appreciate you probably receive a great deal of messages so there is no great rush, just thought I would let know.

Best of luck with your 500 game challenge
  • edited July 2014
    So what is the very worst hand pre-flop?
  • edited July 2014
    So what is the very worst hand pre-flop?
    Posted by FCHD
    Quads???
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Quads???
    Posted by VespaPX
    I'd agree with that.  Had quads TWICE last night and only played a few games..2's & 7's.
  • edited July 2014
    What a difference a day makes...... 24 little hours. Tikay will remember that song
    After my terrible play Wednesday tonight could not have been different

played 6 @ £5.50 won 5
    played 3 @ £3.30 won 3

Got lucky on a couple of occasions but I think a couple of times I played well after getting into trouble
    PATIENCE and the odd gulp shove did the trick.
    Hats off to people who multi multi table two at a time for me.
    some good fun again and a guest appearance from Maca who I am sure will be ruling her new domain in no time
    see you all later
    Nick
  • edited July 2014

Will pick up those questions in the morning, & also do the Report for Thursday.

I shall be back on the PLO8 DYM Tables tonight. I've had 3 losing nights from three so far, so come help yourself....
  • edited July 2014
    Will pick up those questions in the morning, & also do the Report for Thursday. I shall be back on the PLO8 DYM Tables tonight. I've had 3 losing nights from three so far, so come help yourself....
    Posted by Tikay10
    OK
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay, just wondering if you have had chance to read my pm yet? Apologies if you are busy!
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay, just wondering if you have had chance to read my pm yet? Apologies if you are busy!
    Posted by waller02
    Hi Waller,

Sorry I never replied, I had trouble accessing them fom Vegas, & when I got home, I had hundreds of them to wade through.

I have taken the matter up with Upstairs, on behalf of both you & the other Gent. Hopefully, I'll get a reply today. On the face of it - not that I have any sway in these things - it does not seem an unreasonable request at all. 

Fingers crossed.   

• edited July 2014

Will Update my last few days numbers shortly, then try & reply to some of the questions, apols for the delay, jet-lag is really quite something.
  • edited July 2014

3rd July Numbers & Stuff

Played 31

Won 17

Lost 14

£3.30, P 16, W 10, L 6

£5.50, P 13, W 6 L 7

£11, P2, W 1, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,261.40

Closing Balance = £1,255.10

Profirt Loss on Night - £6.30

Profit Loss on Month = £38.50

REWARD POINTS on night = 133

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 379 (= £3.79)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 91

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 45

WIN % = 49.5%
  • edited July 2014

So, since my retuern, have played 3 sessions, & lost all 3. Hmmph.

Not much loss, but a bit confidence deflating.

Definitely feel a little bit "ring-rusty", & my concentration levels keep wavering. I'm best when I stop perusing Forums & watching TV, but if I only have 2 or 3 Tables on the go, I can't seem to help myself. It's a ridiculous notion that we can do our best in anything if we do not give it our full attention.

Chatting at the table is an interesting one, as I like to say "hi", "wp", "ul" or whatever, but I find myself drawn into conversation, & of course it's rude not to reply to questions, but I find it quite hard to do when I have 6 Tables binging & binging. Pretty sure my mental dexterity is on the wane.

Anyway, need to make an effort to stop this little run of losses.   

• edited July 2014

7th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 20

Lost 10

£3.30, P 22, W 14, L 8

£5.50, P 7, W 5 L 2

£11, P2, W 1, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,255.10

Closing Balance = £1,287.00

Profit Loss on Night - £31.90

Profit Loss on Month = £6.70

REWARD POINTS on night = 111

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 490 (= £4.90)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 121

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 65

WIN % = 53.7%
  • edited July 2014

Better!

Made a profit at all 3 buy-in levels, which really felt good.

Phew, that was a relief.

Played better, but ran exceedingly well.

Put a proper cooler on one poor lad when I had a straight flush AND the nut low, & as played, I was 90% certain he had the nut flush, so I bet the Max & the poor lad had to pay me off.

Our resident chunterer has really become quite a celebrity on the PLO8 Tables, good grief, he never stops. Most of the regulars just laugh it off, or type "chuckles" in the chat box. In a way, I feel quite sorry for him, he cannot possibly enjoy his poker. He wins & berates the "clowns" who called him. He loses & berates the "clowns" who called him, or blames Sky for "fraud". Poker can't be much fun for him.

I sort of picture him in my mind, hammering away at the keyboard, steam coming from his ears, red in the face, bit like this.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ9wNT21c_s

None of this is to berate him, I genuinely wish I could help him, but it's hard to talk to him in a calm & rational way.    

I never played Friday, Saturday or Sunday, as I had a visitor, so was good to get back on the Tables.

Am pleasantly surprised by the amount of traffic, I knocked the 30 games off in under 4 hours, so that's fine. Mostly £3.30 games, & a few £5.50, & I'd prefer to play the £11 ones, but it's mid-summer, & the World Cup continues, so I'm really very optimistic that these games will get a ton of traffic once we get to September/October.

I'm still in loss since I returned, but not by much now, so I refer to the view of Alexander Pope, hope springs eternal

Mr Pope said Shakespeare was rubbish, in parts. He was also famous for something called, wait for it, heroic couplets.

ZZZzzzzz....   

• edited July 2014

8th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 20

Lost 10

£3.30, P 19, W 12, L 7

£5.50, P 9, W 8 L 1

£11, P2, W 0, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,287.10

Closing Balance = £1,304.80

Profit Loss on Night - £17.80