You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited April 2014

Crikey.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate all of those comments, & I'll try to reply to every one, not because I have to, but it just feels right, & I'd like to. Give me a bit of time though, please.

In case I did not explain myself properly, I WILL still be playing the PLO8 DYM's, but just not every night. I was chasing Targets (self-imposed), & I tend to get a bit obsessive with things, all or nothing. So it left no time for other stuff in my life, Monday Night Football on Sky, an early night with a good book, Masters Golf later this week, updating my Diary elsewhere, and, now the summer is coming, I like to take long walks in the evening, along the banks of the Thames, with my little camera, trying to get good photos of ducks, swans, geese & the like.

I'll probably play the PLO8 DYM's a couple of nights per week, plus, if we decide to go the PLO8 Tourneys suggestion, a couple of nights per week playing those, too. I'll definitely be starting a new Challenge of some description, otherwise my bankroll will just bleed away in dribs & drabs, I HAVE to have some sort of discipline. I learned that lesson the hard way. Scores of times......

I might just play a couple of the PLO8 MTT's tonight, too. I have to be up at 4am tomorrow, & out of the house by 0430, for the long drive to Leeds, so I'll not be playing any stuff tonight which runs on until midnight or whatever.

See you all soon, & thank you again, & I'll reply to each of you soonest. 

• edited April 2014

Just like to reiterate all the comments above, Sir. A great achievement and an excellent thread. 

With regards the 123 thingummyjig  I AM IN .  Would like to suggest the suits be asked if it could be run

along the lines of the O'Mahartigan leagues with some prizes up for grabs (would certainly boost the numbers).

Anyway, that's my 2pennorth, once again well done and look forward to the next instalments.
  • edited April 2014
    Hello plo8 community
    One week after the action man,rubiks cube and  Atari video games system went flying out of my perambulator, I am back and having looked through the community threads I have missed a fair bit. Then I came "home" to Tikays' thread and a few words come to mind. Embarrassed, humbled,overwhelmed and greatfull. A big thank you to all who took the time to write some very nice and constructive things and I will no doubt talk to all of you when we play this great game again over the coming days.
    Then I came to the very best post of all. I wonder if the "suits" realise and appreciate just what they have in Mr K?
    For you to take the time and interest in someone you have only had the slightest  of contact with, is incredible. 
    Your humour and obvious love of the game,people and life in general shine through the sometimes gloomy outlook on the forum and I really am amazed you would make such an offer to me.
    At some point I may have to explain a few things on this thread or maybe a thread of my own, but I now feel I have a few friends on this site which was not the case before.
    Tony it would be a privilege to have your input and I look forward to talking to you later this week.
    Thank you all very much
    Nick
  • edited April 2014
    Welcome back Nick. Sky is the only site I know where the players actually try and help one another improve. This is even more noticeable with the PlO8 crowd. You have been offered 'one to one' coaching by one of the legends of the game (this is something that many would pay literally 5 or even 10 pence for!) Make the most of it, enjoy the game and, if all goes well, make a bit of profit too. Good luck!

• edited April 2014
    Really enjoyed reading your diary Tikay.  You br management sets a great example but it's your patience and treating people the way they are suppose to be treated that I will take away from this diary.

I know well that its all to easy to get caught up in the grind.  I've been caught up for years now.  I think its important to take time away and give time to things that really are important to us.   These things often require us to get up and make them happen but are worth more than any pot I've ever won.
  • edited April 2014

Yikes, some lovely people in PLO8.

I promised to reply to everyone (because I want to, rather than have to), and I will, but my batteries need a bit of a re-charge at the moment. Should be fully-charged in the next day or two though.
  • edited April 2014

just shows how more will play with late reg and there was over 30 in the afternoon one usuallly about 15.

Tournament Complete

Finished at 21:51 - 09 Apr

Registered
    46 / 1000
    Players Left
    0 / 46......
    Started At
    21:20
    Prize Pool
    £31
    Registered
    31 / 1000....
    compared too this

Tournament Complete

Finished at 21:53 - 07 Apr

Registered
    25 / 1000
    Players Left
    0 / 25

Tournament Complete

Finished at 22:28 - 07 Apr

Registered
    7 / 1000
    Players Left
    0 / 7
  • edited July 2014

Afternoon PLO & PLO8-ers.

Just back from Vegas, where I did not exactly set the world on fire, but my appetite is as great as ever for PLO8 & PLO, so I may join you in July, starting today, all being well. I've really missed playing these DYM's.

I need to tweak my game, so will be playing a little different to previously. ;)

Not sure what the traffic is like at present, but I'll have a look tonight, & then set a July target. Nothing too ambitious yet, maybe 200 or 250 games, but I'll first see how much traffic there is. Think I'll stick to the £3.30, £5,50 & £11 levels.

My Account Balance remains exactly what it was when I ended the challenge, @ £1,292, so I'll use that as the starting point.

Go easy on me, not played these for about 3 months.

Hope to see a few of my old friends & foes soon at the Tables soon.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Afternoon PLO & PLO8-ers. Just back from Vegas, where I did not exactly set the world on fire, but my appetite is as great as ever for PLO8 & PLO, so I may join you in July, starting today, all being well. I've really missed playing these DYM's. I need to tweak my game, so will be playing a little different to previously. ;) Not sure what the traffic is like at present, but I'll have a look tonight, & then set a July target. Nothing too ambitious yet, maybe 200 or 250 games, but I'll first see how much traffic there is. Think I'll stick to the £3.30, £5,50 & £11 levels. My Account Balance remains exactly what it was when I ended the challenge, @ £1,292, so I'll use that as the starting point.   Go easy on me, not played these for about 3 months. Hope to see a few of my old friends & foes soon at the Tables soon.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Welcome home Tony
    Traffic's been down as expected this time of year but all the regs still around.
    Looking forward to seeing your new "plays" !
    See you later at the tables
    GL
    Mick
  • edited July 2014

Welcome back, sure you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the bloggage. I asked a Q on 1 of them but you obv. missed it so here it is again.  If you slept in every hotel bedroom in Vegas on consecutive nights how long would it take to sleep in them all.

On another note, my BR is almost identical to yours (i have you covered.....just) but has stagnated a little recently so if you don't mind i will challenge myself alongside your goodself. Won't derail your thread with updates etc. but will just keep a note myself on how i am doing.

STT's, are i beleive the weakest part of my game (as SS confirms )  so i would like to make a concerted effort this month to reduce the deficit.....we shall see.
  • edited July 2014
    Afternoon PLO & PLO8-ers. Just back from Vegas, where I did not exactly set the world on fire, but my appetite is as great as ever for PLO8 & PLO
    Posted by Tikay10
    Smouldering springs to mind? ;-))  Good to see your back SAFELY which is the most important thing.  LIghtness of pocket is temporary.  REALLY enjoyed the blogs.  It gives us rec players a real taste of what it's like.  Not been on the Plo tables of late BUT I might look you up over the next few days and donate as per!
  • edited July 2014
    Welcome back Mr T.
    Brilliant news that you loved Vegas, impossible not to of course!
    Not meaning to derail your thread thingummy, just popping in to welcome you back and to say cheerio.
    After considering it for a few weeks now, I've decided to pack it in.  It doesn't feel right calling myself an old dog, but this old bird can't learn new tricks and for a while I've struggled with how the game is being played these days.  Rather than play and being bewildered at what's happening, It's time to retire from the PLO8 game methinks.
    So cheerio everyone, have fun, for 99.99% of the time it's been a pure delight playing with the PLO8 mob, for the most part, a fantastic crowd. A pleasure to have 'met' you all. For any Holdem players who have yet to play the PLO8 game, I strongly recommend you give it a go. When things go wrong it can be painfully frustrating, but when things go right, it's a joy. Incredibly hard to describe unless you play the game, but doing the right thing, at the right time, win or lose, is often appreciated and acknowledged by others at the table. Most play it because they love the game and love seeing it played well, even when on the bum end of it and losing! Yep, a strange bunch, but a wonderfully brilliant strange bunch.
    Run good, enjoy it and I may see some of you on the holdem tables when I get bored.

Karen

ps. Anyone want a twiglet?
  • edited July 2014
    HOLD ONE THERE OnE SECOND MAC!!! 

I refuse to let you quit .....REFUSE I say!!!

Play the occasional game my dear please please please. 2 or 3 games a day ...you will enjoy it I promise!

These tables will not be the same without you so please dont go cold turkey on us.

You are a Legend and those that know the game will agree with me.

Ger
  • edited July 2014
    HOLD ONE THERE OnE SECOND MAC!!!  I refuse to let you quit .....REFUSE I say!!! Play the occasional game my dear please please please. 2 or 3 games a day ...you will enjoy it I promise! These tables will not be the same without you so please dont go cold turkey on us. You are a Legend and those that know the game will agree with me. Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    BIG +1

Dont go Karen please!
    Shipmates stick together.

Oh and i'll have a twiglet please :-))
  • edited July 2014
    Welcome back Mr T. Brilliant news that you loved Vegas, impossible not to of course! Not meaning to derail your thread thingummy, just popping in to welcome you back and to say cheerio. After considering it for a few weeks now, I've decided to pack it in.  It doesn't feel right calling myself an old dog, but this old bird can't learn new tricks and for a while I've struggled with how the game is being played these days.  Rather than play and being bewildered at what's happening, It's time to retire from the PLO8 game methinks. So cheerio everyone, have fun, for 99.99% of the time it's been a pure delight playing with the PLO8 mob, for the most part, a fantastic crowd. A pleasure to have 'met' you all. For any Holdem players who have yet to play the PLO8 game, I strongly recommend you give it a go. When things go wrong it can be painfully frustrating, but when things go right, it's a joy. Incredibly hard to describe unless you play the game, but doing the right thing, at the right time, win or lose, is often appreciated and acknowledged by others at the table. Most play it because they love the game and love seeing it played well, even when on the bum end of it and losing! Yep, a strange bunch, but a wonderfully brilliant strange bunch. Run good, enjoy it and I may see some of you on the holdem tables when I get bored. Karen ps. Anyone want a twiglet?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Crikey, was it something I said? ;)

That's terrible news for Team PLO8, you are furniture here, but really, if you are not fully enjoying it, you've made the right decision.

You make some good points, too, especially as to PLO8 players being stoic as to defeat & victory, & taking beats in their stride. There seem to be very few bad losers in PLO8, the exceptions are so rare we remember them. (There was one last night, lol). So yes, a strange bunch, but wonderfully strange, they are my kind of people, & PLO8 has no place for bad losers.

You have been an absolute credit to Sky Poker, & poker generally, playing the game in exactly the right spirit. You'll be much missed, you really will.

• edited July 2014
      Welcome back, sure you had a wonderful time and enjoyed the bloggage. I asked a Q on 1 of them but you obv. missed it so here it is again.  If you slept in every hotel bedroom in Vegas on consecutive nights how long would it take to sleep in them all.   On another note, my BR is almost identical to yours (i have you covered.....just) but has stagnated a little recently so if you don't mind i will challenge myself alongside your goodself. Won't derail your thread with updates etc. but will just keep a note myself on how i am doing.   STT's, are i beleive the weakest part of my game (as SS confirms )  so i would like to make a concerted effort this month to reduce the deficit.....we shall see.
    Posted by pomfrittes
    Hi Pommy,

I did see your question, but, well, when in Vegas, it's all go, & the Blogs took me 4 hours apiece, so I did not get round to replying to the kind comments.

The hotel rooms question? Well there are said to be 125,000 hotel rooms in Vegas, so I guess about 340 years?

Glad to hear you plan to do a little Challenge to freshen up your game, feel free to use this Thread to do Updates, I need the company.
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Welcome home Tony Traffic's been down as expected this time of year but all the regs still around. Looking forward to seeing your new "plays" ! See you later at the tables GL Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks Mick.

Well I tried a few new plays last night, & they worked incredibly well, as I only lost about £20 on the night......
  • edited July 2014
    WELCOME BACK MATE!!!

Sounds Great time!!

If you not tired, lol.....& free...

How about THIS TONIGHT!!

In Lobby NOW!!!

The 'FOSP' League Holdem Tournament!!!!
    7.30pm, Weds July 2nd, £5.50.
    5000 starting chips, 1 hour late reg, Blinds 12 mins

Here is Tournie lobby description!!

""" This is an 'Open' Tournament for ALL Sky Community, All are Welcome!!
    A Monthly League will be run by The FOSP, Friends of Sky Poker Group.
    ...with added value Monthly Prizes from Sky Poker!!!
    Enjoy!!"""

Get In....[limited to 1000 runners, be quick, lol!!]

Me & PokerTrev are First to be registered...DOUBLE VALUE!!!!

GL ALL Enjoy!!

https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=go_tnmt_lobby&game_id=9560814&guid=481731be-f3a7-4723-81a1-642458b815e4

Also PS
    Macagirl/TK we have a frienldy PLO/PLO8 [alternates weekly],FOSP tournie every Sunday 7.25pm £3.30
    Password 'FOSP', you BOTH & ALL welcome!!

GL
  • edited July 2014

Had a great session last night, & it was lovely to see all the regular faces. Won't mention them all as I'll forget some & get in trouble, but must make special mention of Cornwall Bloke, aka FCHD, who has done such a great job with the Vegas WSOP Updates.

Amazingly, I managed 30 Games, so the traffic was much better than I had expected, though not many @ £5.50, & none @ £11, but still, given World Cup Football was on Telly, I thought that was remarkably good.

I had a good "first-half", made a nice bit of profit & won 9 from 15, but I fell to bits for the rest of the session, & ended up with a score of P 30, W 16, L14. Unforch, I lost 6 out of 9 @ £5.50, so that skewed the figures baddddddddddly.

Have to say, really enjoyed it, & will have another bash tonight & tomorrow, but will have to swerve Friday & Saturday, as I have to see a young lady about a dog.

Think I ought to be able to manage 20 poker nights in July, & if so, 500 Games is quite achievable. 500 Games profitably, not so sure.....

• edited July 2014
    WELCOME BACK MATE!!! Sounds Great time!! If you not tired, lol.....& free... How about THIS TONIGHT!! In Lobby NOW!!! The 'FOSP' League Holdem Tournament!!!! 7.30pm, Weds July 2nd, £5.50. 5000 starting chips, 1 hour late reg, Blinds 12 mins Here is Tournie lobby description!! """ This is an 'Open' Tournament for ALL Sky Community, All are Welcome!! A Monthly League will be run by The FOSP, Friends of Sky Poker Group. ...with added value Monthly Prizes from Sky Poker!!! Enjoy!!""" Get In....[limited to 1000 runners, be quick, lol!!] Me & PokerTrev are First to be registered...DOUBLE VALUE!!!! GL ALL Enjoy!! https://www.skypoker.com/secure/poker/sky_lobby?action=go_tnmt_lobby&game_id=9560814&guid=481731be-f3a7-4723-81a1-642458b815e4 Also PS Macagirl/TK we have a frienldy PLO/PLO8 [alternates weekly],FOSP tournie every Sunday 7.25pm £3.30 Password 'FOSP', you BOTH & ALL welcome!! GL
    Posted by HITMAN_RV
    Thanks Dave.

I don't play NLH these days, but I will join you for your next PLO/PLO8 Sunday Evening Jobbie.

The kids play NLH too well, & I find it quite hard to make any money, so I've switched almost 100% to the 4 card game, where it is (imo) a lot easier to turn a profit. It amazes me that more don't try the 4 card game, as NLH is so tough these days, but each to their own I guess, I prefer playing something that even I can beat, or nearly so.
  • edited July 2014

1st July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 16

Lost 14

£3.30, P 21, W 11, L 10

£5.50, P 9, W 3 L 6

Opening Balance - £1,294

Closing Balance = £1,269.20

Profirt Loss on Night - £24.80

Profit Loss on Month = £24.80

REWARD POINTS on night = 108

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 108
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Thanks Dave. I don't play NLH these days, but I will join you for your next PLO/PLO8 Sunday Evening Jobbie. The kids play NLH too well, & I find it quite hard to make any money, so I've switched almost 100% to the 4 card game, where it is (imo) a lot easier to turn a profit. It amazes me that more don't try the 4 card game, as NLH is so tough these days, but each to their own I guess, I prefer playing something that even I can beat, or nearly so.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Great Mate!!
    Solarcarro Dave & Mark Cenachav are running a Monthly PLO League for FOPS too, be great if you in!

again ALL WELCOME, sunday password is FOSP..

No Password needed tonight...JUST ENTER!!
  • edited July 2014
    Had a great session last night, & it was lovely to see all the regular faces. Won't mention them all as I'll forget some & get in trouble, but must make special mention of Cornwall Bloke, aka FCHD, who has done such a great job with the Vegas WSOP Updates. Amazingly, I managed 30 Games, so the traffic was much better than I had expected, though not many @ £5.50, & none @ £11, but still, given World Cup Football was on Telly, I thought that was remarkably good.   I had a good "first-half", made a nice bit of profit & won 9 from 15, but I fell to bits for the rest of the session, & ended up with a score of P 30, W 16, L14. Unforch, I lost 6 out of 9 @ £5.50, so that skewed the figures baddddddddddly.   Have to say, really enjoyed it, & will have another bash tonight & tomorrow, but will have to swerve Friday & Saturday, as I have to see a young lady about a dog.   Think I ought to be able to manage 20 poker nights in July, & if so, 500 Games is quite achievable. 500 Games profitably, not so sure.....   
    Posted by Tikay10
    With all your experience TK, I;d wager that you could teach a young dog some pretty good old tricks!
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : With all your experience TK, I;d wager that you could teach a young dog some pretty good old tricks!
    Posted by tsarina
    Shush! I think you've sussed my code.....
  • edited July 2014
    Welcome back Mr T. Brilliant news that you loved Vegas, impossible not to of course! Not meaning to derail your thread thingummy, just popping in to welcome you back and to say cheerio. After considering it for a few weeks now, I've decided to pack it in.  It doesn't feel right calling myself an old dog, but this old bird can't learn new tricks and for a while I've struggled with how the game is being played these days.  Rather than play and being bewildered at what's happening, It's time to retire from the PLO8 game methinks. So cheerio everyone, have fun, for 99.99% of the time it's been a pure delight playing with the PLO8 mob, for the most part, a fantastic crowd. A pleasure to have 'met' you all. For any Holdem players who have yet to play the PLO8 game, I strongly recommend you give it a go. When things go wrong it can be painfully frustrating, but when things go right, it's a joy. Incredibly hard to describe unless you play the game, but doing the right thing, at the right time, win or lose, is often appreciated and acknowledged by others at the table. Most play it because they love the game and love seeing it played well, even when on the bum end of it and losing! Yep, a strange bunch, but a wonderfully brilliant strange bunch. Run good, enjoy it and I may see some of you on the holdem tables when I get bored. Karen ps. Anyone want a twiglet?
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    So sad u feel that way macacgirl .hope u still have the odd game and come and say hello as others have said it will be weird loading up tables without you being there been great playing you and trying too learn from you and you have always been one of the first too offer help too people that reg for the wrong games. and you will definitely be missed good luck in all you do. all the best churchy

• edited July 2014
    Thanks chaps, but I am most certainly a non-plo8er from now on. As fun and as great as the game is, for me, 90% of the time, it's simply been a much needed pastime whilst stuck behind a desk for hours on end. Some people play minesweeper, I played PLO8!  
    There's absolutely no complaints or moans from me, nothing wrong with sky, nothing wrong with plo8ers, nothing wrong with the beautiful game, the time is just right.
    I'm not disappearing, before moving to warmer climes next year, I'll play the odd NLH DYM, the odd DTD thingummy and I've also 17000 poker points to try and use in freerolls! I need to learn NLH again as I've already found a weekly live game for next year when we move! Priority #1!
    This is the last message here from me, we need to hear about trains, concrete, vegas, meat pies and TKs new job in Vegas as an Alec Guinness impersonator.
  • edited July 2014
    So get home from work (got off early so I could get home and play some plo8 with the gang) and what do I find........ BOMBSHELL. Maca I beg you to reconsider, you have been fantastic to me and many others on the tables and to think you will not be playing again is horrible. I must,and will, respect your decision but hope you may reconsider at some later date. If not please know I am greatfull for all your help and the funny bits you added to our games.
    Nick
  • edited July 2014

Just wanted to ask for opinions, tonight I just stopped playing because I was playing really badly, do not know why maybe a little tired but making sloppy mistakes. Should you stop or just keep playing and try and get through the rough patch?
    thanks
    Nick

• edited July 2014
    Just wanted to ask for opinions, tonight I just stopped playing because I was playing really badly, do not know why maybe a little tired but making sloppy mistakes. Should you stop or just keep playing and try and get through the rough patch? thanks Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Morning Nick.

You did EXACTLY the right thing.

Sometimes we do play bad, or sub-par, but it's just lazy to blame variance, bad calls by others, the software, or whatever, when in truth we sometimes just need to self-examine, & realise we have nobody to blame but ourselves. It's oh so easy to blame other factors for our own failings.

Well played you, very few are prepared to admit they are just playing poorly.