You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2014

So that was not so bad, & although I only drew the game-count 23-23, I won 4 from 5 @ £11, which made all the difference.

LOT of traffic, 46 games on a Monday is incred, & a rich haul of Reward Points, 195, so the 3,000 point threshold hoves nicely into sight ahead of schedule.

I have been treading water for a week now, the graph has gone almost flat. "Chartists" in the City, who use charts to predict the Footsie, & share prices,  would suggest a period of turbulence is about to follow. Up turbulence, or down turbulence?

Had a nice surprise, when I found out by chance that I'm in line for a Bronze Leaderboard payment, at present I am in the middle of the £25 band. £50 of Reward Points, & £10 or £25 of Leaderboard money, makes a HUGE difference to me at the stakes I play. Fingers crossed.    

• edited March 2014

Comical (?) moment last night.

There has been a lot of debate recently about the correct etiquette - if there is such a thing - as to how we play against AWAY players.

So, we are 4 handed, Melty is big chippie, the rest of us are all much of a muchness.

And Melty disconnects. Hmm, what now? Melty will probably win even if he stays AWAY, so the other 3 of us are fighting over 2 spots. Awkward......do we steal his blinds, or what?

At which moment, one of the three - a stranger in the PLO8 DYM games - types

faster

Someone types 

?

Stranger types

play faster, quick, before he comes back.

Takes all types, eh?

PS - Melty re-connected, & won.    

• edited March 2014

Tuesday 25th March

Played 44

Won 21

Lost 23

Split....

£3.30 - Played 29, Won 16, Lost 13

£5.50 - Played 9, won 2 lost 7

£11.00 - Played 6, won 2, Lost 4

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £61.20

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.39

REWARD POINTS = 192

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,267.59

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 2,921 (= £29.21)
  • edited March 2014
    March to date........

Played 648

Won 366

Lost 282

Win-rate, January, 56.48%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £118.83

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £0.18
  • edited March 2014

Ugh.

Just kook at these.....

£5.50 - Played 9, won 2 lost 7

£11.00 - Played 6, won 2, Lost 4

Yikes. Shocker. I say, SHOCKER.

Of my first 15 games, I lost 12.

Next 15 games, I lost 9.

Luckily, I finished like a train, wining 12 of the last 14, or else the damage would have been even worse.

OK, I ran a bit bad, & I made several mistakes, too. But I seemed unable to stop the rot, & my head got into a bit of a tizz.

Need to sort that out.

Anyway, 5 sessions remain in March, & I have some ground to make up.

Keep out of my way, OK?

• edited March 2014
    I'll be back on tonight to donate after having the in-laws here for a few days :-(

*Edit i may be a little tilty !
  • edited March 2014

New player arrives on the tables last night. Everyone welcomed him, "gl" etc. The PLO8 players are a sort of little community of their own, incredibly friendly.

Soon, he types......

why so slow

Followed by

zzzzzzzzz

Then

ZZZZZZZZ

He played EVERY hand, & was soon monsta chippie, with half the chips in play. And busted first. 

He turns up on the next table.

zzzzzzzz

y so slo?

ZZZZZZZZ

Rinse repeat, chip leader, first out.

Some wag types in the chat box....

well he needed an early night

I should not have laughed, really.

What is up with all this "hurry up" thing?

If he wants more action, better to play more tables imo. 

Takes all sorts, I guess.

Anyway, never mind that, I've got a recovery mission to embark upon.

Shocker. Absolute shocker. 

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    I'll be back on tonight to donate after having the in-laws here for a few days :-( *Edit i may be a little tilty !
    Posted by VespaPX
    Now THAT is a proper bad beat.

See you later.

Bit of good news for you - Dylan12 is playing these now.

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now THAT is a proper bad beat.   See you later. Bit of good news for you - Dylan12 is playing these now.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Ooooh good news !
  • edited March 2014
    Comical (?) moment last night. There has been a lot of debate recently about the correct etiquette - if there is such a thing - as to how we play against AWAY players. So, we are 4 handed, Melty is big chippie, the rest of us are all much of a muchness. And Melty disconnects. Hmm, what now? Melty will probably win even if he stays AWAY, so the other 3 of us are fighting over 2 spots. Awkward......do we steal his blinds, or what? At which moment, one of the three - a stranger in the PLO8 DYM games - types faster Someone types  ? Stranger types play faster, quick, before he comes back. Takes all types, eh? PS - Melty re-connected, & won.      
    Posted by Tikay10

haha. I was just giving you a chance :P

been having awrful problems recently when I go above 9 tables - everything just seems to lag.

I think its tricky to know what to do when there are multiple players on the table - I think you just have to play on as normal?

I do wonder though, if what the "stranger" was saying could be construed as collusion? asking other players to play quickly is trying to work together?

-------

I've been running hot the last couple of days! 10-1 is my record. although alot of that is pure luck (ATT4 rivering a flush to scoop for the win vs AK23 AIPF, winning a high with A high after the money went in on the flop + plenty more I'm sure!)

the thing that has suprised me most recently, is the (very) wide range of hands some people are willing to commit their tournament with! looking through my HH I found a peach: blinds @100/200, villain opens the button to 600 from a 2750 stack. I 3bet to 1900 with AKK3, and the villain calls, then calls the rest of his stack on the 7TJ flop. he had Q456 lol. 

anyway, apart from running well, I put my new found success in these down to playing (probably too many) pots postflop in the early stages so I can take advantage of some of the eclectic range of hands on display! 

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Now THAT is a proper bad beat.   See you later. Bit of good news for you - Dylan12 is playing these now.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Haha! 

Really enjoying these, taking tikay out on the bubble a couple of times has just made them even sweeter :-) 

Well done last night mate, was hoping that you would have lost more though. 
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Haha!  Really enjoying these, taking tikay out on the bubble a couple of times has just made them even sweeter :-)  Well done last night mate, was hoping that you would have lost more though. 
    Posted by dylan12
    BOOM!

/>Dylan.
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : haha. I was just giving you a chance :P been having awrful problems recently when I go above 9 tables - everything just seems to lag. I think its tricky to know what to do when there are multiple players on the table - I think you just have to play on as normal? I do wonder though, if what the "stranger" was saying could be construed as collusion? asking other players to play quickly is trying to work together? ------- I've been running hot the last couple of days! 10-1 is my record. although alot of that is pure luck (ATT4 rivering a flush to scoop for the win vs AK23 AIPF, winning a high with A high after the money went in on the flop + plenty more I'm sure!) the thing that has suprised me most recently, is the (very) wide range of hands some people are willing to commit their tournament with! looking through my HH I found a peach: blinds @100/200, villain opens the button to 600 from a 2750 stack. I 3bet to 1900 with AKK3, and the villain calls, then calls the rest of his stack on the 7TJ flop. he had Q456 lol.  anyway, apart from running well, I put my new found success in these down to playing (probably too many) pots postflop in the early stages so I can take advantage of some of the eclectic range of hands on display! 
    Posted by chicknMelt
    Morning melty.

Addressing a few of those points.....

Yes, with the chippie "AWAY", & the other 3 all scrambling for 2 spots, it IS difficult, & yes, we all have to play our game. We just do. Not nice, but a fact of life.

Was "faster" man guilty of collusion?

Call it what you will, I don't really know. Hardest thing in the world to prove, really.  I do know it was dirty, though, very dirty.

I saw a wonderful phrase elsewhere yesterday, which summed it up beautifully.

online pickpocket.

It's such a "low" thing to do.  

Q-4-5-6 man?

Yes, a most remarkable open. Generally, many players struggle with "ranges" in PLO8. Can't think of much worse than Q-4-5-6 to be honest. 

You can see why he continued though, he flopped a lovely inside wrap. Or he thought he had......

As a member of the more "traditional" way of playing PLO8, I firmly believe that playing for middle straights (e.g., 3-4-5-6-7) is the worst thing possible in PLO8. To hit our straight, a Low MUST come, and as many players chase Lows, we are almost never scooping. The game is about scoops.  We can easily lose both ends with those sort of straights, too. In short, very little upside, & tons of downside.

I've also been playing more pots early doors recently. Too early to judge the results yet. Some weird holdings do turn up, that's for sure. 

Talking of "low" things to do, there is a PLO8 DYM regular who, even if he is not in the hand, always types "YESSSS" when a player busts. That's one of those things, imo, that we think, but don't say/write. A little dignity & grace in defeat & victory is very very important. IMO, of course.   

How did you get on last night?

• edited March 2014

Wednesday 26th March

Played 40

Won 22

Lost 18

Split....

£3.30 - Played 26, Won 15, Lost 11

£5.50 - Played 10, won 6 lost 4

£11.00 - Played 4, won 1, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £14.80

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.37

REWARD POINTS = 168

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,252.79

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,089 (= £46.34)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 688

Won 388

Lost 300

Win-rate, January, 56.40%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £104.03

Profit
    £0.15
  • edited March 2014

On the face of it, another disappointing effort, losing £15, despite winning the game count 22-18. But losing 3 from 4 @ £11 made all the difference - a £60 swing. This is standard variance, & nothing to be troubled overly about really, we need to measure over proper (much much larger) sample sizes to see the real results & performance.

A £67 loss over 2 days hurts, no denying that, but I just need to keep doing the right things, especially as to opening ranges, & I'll be fine. Even so, a disappointing month so far.

I'm working tonight, so no poker playing today, but I'll give of my best Friday to Monday inclusive, & that'll be March done & dusted.

I'm undecided if I shall continue with this Hi-Lo DYM challenge in April, I may try something different. If I end up with the account north of £1,200 on Monday night (last day of March) I'll have turned £200 into £1,200, for a clear £1,000 profit. Not exactly nosebleed stuff, but it has pleased me no end, just proving to myself that I could.    

• edited March 2014

So I lost 3 from 4 @ £11 last night.

I ran into hands I would never expect to see in PLO8. J-9-9-8, 4-5-5-6, Q-J-6-6, K-Q-8-8, in each case, all-in pre-flop. 

Initially, I do a little sigh. How could he? sorta thing. A nana-second later, the truth dawns. It is only because of people playing hands like this that I turn a little profit. Variance does it's thing, we all know that. 

In a way, I'm glad they do, too. But a larger part of me wants people to understand, & play the 4 card games, better. That's part of what Sky Poker tries to do, too - try to help players poker £££'s go further.

Always conflicting thoughts & emotions.

Great fun though. 

Poker is such a wonderful game. No matter how badly or well we play, we'll win or lose if variance is at the table. 

Sheesh, I think I've had a passionate 15 year affair with poker, & variance, & now I've found the perfect partner, in the 4 card game. She's lovely.

• edited March 2014
    So I lost 3 from 4 @ £11 last night. I ran into hands I would never expect to see in PLO8. J-9-9-8, 4-5-5-6, Q-J-6-6, K-Q-8-8, in each case, all-in pre-flop.  Initially, I do a little sigh. How could he? sorta thing. A nana-second later, the truth dawns. It is only because of people playing hands like this that I turn a little profit. Variance does it's thing, we all know that.  In a way, I'm glad they do, too. But a larger part of me wants people to understand, & play the 4 card games, better. That's part of what Sky Poker tries to do, too - try to help players poker £££'s go further. Always conflicting thoughts & emotions.   Grwart fun though.  Poker is such a wonderful game. No matter how badly or well we play, we'll win or lose if variance is at the table.  Sheesh, I think I've had a passionate 15 year affair with poker, & variance, & now I've found the perfect partner, in the 4 card game. She's lovely.        
    Posted by Tikay10

Were those hands at the £11 level?
    I may have to move up !
  • edited March 2014

Yup.

I nearly fainted when I saw them.

They were enough to beat me, though. Yikes.  

• edited March 2014

I made the dumbest move ever ever ever last night.

4 handed, stacks are.....

Loosey Goosey 7,000

Steady Eddie 2,500

Old Bloke 2,000

AWAY player 500

Blinds are 100-200.

I just have to sit out here. I know that.

Loosey raises, I'm on 7 tables, & without thinking, I re-pot it with the nicest aces you ever saw, A-A-K-2 DS.

And Loosey looks me up. And busts me. Or, more correctly, I bust myself.

It cost me £5.50, big deal. But that HURT.

• edited March 2014
    I made the dumbest move ever ever ever last night. 4 handed, stacks are..... Loosey Goosey 7,000 Steady Eddie 2,500 Old Bloke 2,000 AWAY player 500 Blinds are 100-200. I just have to sit out here. I know that.   Loosey raises, I'm on 7 tables, & without thinking, I re-pot it with the nicest aces you ever saw, A-A-K-2 DS.   And Loosey looks me up. And busts me. Or, more correctly, I bust myself. It cost me £5.50, big deal. But that HURT.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    Funny i was thinking about things like this last night.
    I've come up with an idea to stop getting involved when you shouldn't.

If you've got a big stack or there's a shorty who is not at the table, just click the "AWAY" button yourself.
    May stop the temptation?
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Funny i was thinking about things like this last night. I've come up with an idea to stop getting involved when you shouldn't. If you've got a big stack or there's a shorty who is not at the table, just click the "AWAY" button yourself. May stop the temptation?
    Posted by VespaPX
    Well yes, I suppose we could. Slightly naughty though, I think, as it changes the table dynamic completely.

Bit like a "professional foul" in football.
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Teeks,

pleased to see your bankroll continuing to progress in a most satisfactory way. Hope you haven't put the muckers on it with your "If I end up with....." statement above.

not playing much online as i'm very busy at the moment, even when i'm not passing through China. but managed a little over the last few days. was going to give the skill sng promo a go which meant i shouldn't be playing dyms. but i lost the first 2 6max's i played so then decided i would just play whatever, have a laugh, and see how it comes out. so last night i ended up playing NLHE 6-max and headhunters, hilo DYMs, alongside a few of my usual BH MTTs. all very confusing. even managed to "lose" a hh game behind my browser while replying to Paul on his thread.

have to compliment you on all the outstanding advice you have been providing on this thread. my natural style is the antithesis of what's needed for dyms, the fact that i can score 4/5 on my first night back playing dyms i would like to think is a reflection of heeding your advice and not just due to positive variance. i know it may not reflect in some of the hands i play, but at least i have learnt how to fold AA and KK preflop if there has been action behind and i don't have a low.

glad to see that not everyone is reading your thread though, and that there is a wider range of hands being played than even i would countenance.

• edited March 2014
    oh, I also decided to throw in the £100 hilo mtt into the mix, for the first time this year. it had 26 runners and after i while i noticed i was 12/12 - over half the field gone and i was still on my starting stack! dym strategy FTW. fortunately still had some time to get my mojo going as playing dyms certainly helps with your patience in low-stack situations. Found my double up when i committed myself and was pleased to eventually finish 2nd. That was a relief because i was a little worried that the dym playing had led me to lose my hilo mtt capacity.
  • edited March 2014

Friday 28th March

Played 38

Won 26

Lost 11

Split....

£3.30 - Played 23, Won 16, Lost 7

£5.50 - Played 12, won 8 lost 4

£11.00 - Played 3, won 2, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £41.10

PROFIT/LOSS per game £1.08

REWARD POINTS = 159

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,293.89

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,248 (= £48.72)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 726

Won 414

Lost 312

Win-rate, January, 57.02%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £145.13

Profit
    £0.19
  • edited March 2014
    Oh nice win streak Tikay......5 more now and you hit your record.

I thought you said you never go on these big win streaks?
  • edited March 2014

Saturday 29th March

Played 42

Won 25

Lost 17

Split....

£3.30 - Played 26, Won 16, Lost 10

£5.50 - Played 11, won 6 lost 5

£11.00 - Played 5, won 3, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £8.70

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.21

REWARD POINTS = 183

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,302.59

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,431 (= £51.47)
  • edited March 2014

March to date........

Played 768

Won 439

Lost 329

Win-rate, January, 57.16%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £153.83

Profit
    £0.20
  • edited March 2014
    Oh nice win streak Tikay......5 more now and you hit your record. I thought you said you never go on these big win streaks?
    Posted by gerardirl
    Ha!

I added just one more, & that was that.

I don't really like trying to hit these winning "streaks", it puts pressure on me, & I play scared. How these guys & gals manage these long runs is quite beyond me, I've no idea how they do it, but fair play to them. A chap in the Skill & Go (Wooaga?) won 19 out of 20 DYM's. Wowzer.

The run ended in a spectacular exit. Had really good aces, Double Suited, A-A-K-2, & got the lot in pre against a goose of the loosest variety. I thought he may also have Aces, or maybe some A-2 combo. I nearly fainted when his hand was turned over, J-9-7-7. Flop J-7-7. BOOM!

Last night was a typical night for me - Longest Winning Run 4, Longest Losing run 3. Mr Average, me.