You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    oh, I also decided to throw in the £100 hilo mtt into the mix, for the first time this year. it had 26 runners and after i while i noticed i was 12/12 - over half the field gone and i was still on my starting stack! dym strategy FTW. fortunately still had some time to get my mojo going as playing dyms certainly helps with your patience in low-stack situations. Found my double up when i committed myself and was pleased to eventually finish 2nd. That was a relief because i was a little worried that the dym playing had led me to lose my hilo mtt capacity.
    Posted by GELDY
    Good point gelders, it is true, playing a lot of DYM's DOES affect how we play MTT's. Well done on the 2nd place.

Were you "just" playing DYM's last night? (Saturday). I sensed you played MUCH better, & that you were really concentrating, & playing good DYM strategy. You "won" every game you were in, from what I saw. Well done you.

The last £11er of the night, in which the last 4 included you & I, was a cracker. I was cruising to the win, plenty of chips, but made a mis-step v you, doubled you up, & then it was nip & tuck all the way, before we both prevailed.

The "mis-step" annoyed me at the time, I was a bit cross with myself for the unforced error, but when I thought about it, it was not really a mistake. I was in the BB with A-10-9-2 Double Suited, you were in the SB. You shoved. I don't much like calling, & ordinarily, that is an easy Pass for me.

But......you had 4 Bigs, & of course, short stacks widen their range, often (& correctly) to "any 4", as mostly the shove does not get called. In fact you had better, A-K-J-10 or somesuch, which was good enough.

Anyway, it all ended OK, & we both got across the line.

Congrats on what looked to me like a good winning night.

• edited March 2014
    Hi Teeks, pleased to see your bankroll continuing to progress in a most satisfactory way. Hope you haven't put the muckers on it with your "If I end up with....." statement above. not playing much online as i'm very busy at the moment, even when i'm not passing through China. but managed a little over the last few days. was going to give the skill sng promo a go which meant i shouldn't be playing dyms. but i lost the first 2 6max's i played so then decided i would just play whatever, have a laugh, and see how it comes out. so last night i ended up playing NLHE 6-max and headhunters, hilo DYMs, alongside a few of my usual BH MTTs. all very confusing. even managed to "lose" a hh game behind my browser while replying to Paul on his thread. have to compliment you on all the outstanding advice you have been providing on this thread. my natural style is the antithesis of what's needed for dyms, the fact that i can score 4/5 on my first night back playing dyms i would like to think is a reflection of heeding your advice and not just due to positive variance. i know it may not reflect in some of the hands i play, but at least i have learnt how to fold AA and KK preflop if there has been action behind and i don't have a low. glad to see that not everyone is reading your thread though, and that there is a wider range of hands being played than even i would countenance.
    Posted by GELDY
    Thanks for the kind words Gelders.

5 out of 6 on Friday, then 6 out of 6 last night, was it?

Incred.

My bankroll? Yes, nothing exciting, but little & often, it just slowly (very slowly.....) increases. Short of the most spectacular implosion ever, I'll turn a profit for March, which will be 6 consecutive profitable months, & a profit of around £1,100. I'm very pleased with that, but more so, that we have now got such a thriving PLO8 Commmunity here. To be able to play 40+ PLO8 DYM's every night is quite something, unimaginable 6 months ago.

All good.     

• edited March 2014
    Hi Tikay,

thanks for your kind words. Yes I was on a bit of a heater last night. 6/6 Hilo DYMs, 3 Primo seats (2 hyper sats and an allin), FT-ed a BH and won the semi for the mega roller. lost a few 6max NLHE so any residual hope for the skill&go is out of the window. taken out of the Primo by the lovely Mrs Bromley, but knocked Adam out of a late running hypersat to restore family honours. went out of a speedy BH FH<FH.

so still the eclectic brain-numbing mix of varieties on the go at the same time, but i did feel much more "in the zone". guess i managed to hit some run good at the same time as i was playing well. if only that could continue for today.
  • edited March 2014
    well tikay thought i would finally put up a post and take both barrels(sigh) go easy on me lol! any1 else that has played me a bit please feel free too leave a comment as well.

well after the chats the last few nights (months even)i thought it was about time i really had a look at how i play the game and try and see where the leaks/flaws in my play are and see if i can improve,

i think too be fair i know most of my flaws myself but just can,t seem too get myself too stop the silly calls and plays i make anyway here goes and please feel free too point out anything i miss.

i know that i am a average(if that) player.but i also know  when i want and am fully focused on the game i can play well but far too often i play at the wrong times or just play really silly hands and am not focused enough or get distracted too easily.

as you know been playing hi/lo a wee while with varying degrees of success and gain but i know i,am losing too many games through getting drawn into pots/hands i have no need too be in.

1st im far too willing too get it in with marginal hands when there is no need.

2nd i play too many hands or limp too often

3rd i defend my blinds too much at times instead of letting it go and picking my spot better(as im sure u will remember from earlier tonight)

4th bankroll management..i,am a boom or bust kind of guy

i could go on and on i think but i will leave some for you.

as always thanks for any advice and as you can see also no need for me too pm u as it is here..churchy

EDIT thought i would throw this in as well..should i just bin aa hands they never hold?
    NAGGER Small blind   150.00 150.00 1430.00
    Mr Big blind   300.00 450.00 2090.31
      Your hole cards
    • A
    • A

elleben2 Fold        
    churchy18 Raise   1050.00 1500.00 2509.69
    PgdL Fold        
    NAGGER Fold        
    Mr All-in   2090.31 3590.31 0.00
    churchy18 Call   1340.31 4930.62 1169.38
    M Show
    • J
    • A

churchy18 Show
    • A
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• J

River

Mr Win high Straight to the 8 2465.32   2465.32
    Mr Win low 7-low 2465.30   4930.62
  • edited March 2014
    well tikay thought i would finally put up a post and take both barrels(sigh) go easy on me lol! any1 else that has played me a bit please feel free too leave a comment as well. well after the chats the last few nights (months even)i thought it was about time i really had a look at how i play the game and try and see where the leaks/flaws in my play are and see if i can improve,  i think too be fair i know most of my flaws myself but just can,t seem too get myself too stop the silly calls and plays i make anyway here goes and please feel free too point out anything i miss. i know that i am a average(if that) player.but i also know  when i want and am fully focused on the game i can play well but far too often i play at the wrong times or just play really silly hands and am not focused enough or get distracted too easily. as you know been playing hi/lo a wee while with varying degrees of success and gain but i know i,am losing too many games through getting drawn into pots/hands i have no need too be in. 1st im far too willing too get it in with marginal hands when there is no need. 2nd i play too many hands or limp too often 3rd i defend my blinds too much at times instead of letting it go and picking my spot better(as im sure u will remember from earlier tonight) 4th bankroll management..i,am a boom or bust kind of guy i could go on and on i think but i will leave some for you. as always thanks for any advice ..churchy
    Posted by churchy18
    Hi Churchy

I think you've identified the things that you need improvement on in this thread.
    You know the game and what you SHOULD do.
    Just a little more concentration & patience would do you the world of good.
    I think sometimes you play a DYM like its a MTT - just let your BB go , no need to defend if you haven't got a hand to defend with.

Anyway that's my humble, inexperienced, thoughts.
    See you at the tables soon
    Gl
    Mick
  • edited March 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Hi Churchy I think you've identified the things that you need improvement on in this thread. You know the game and what you SHOULD do. Just a little more concentration & patience would do you the world of good. I think sometimes you play a DYM like its a MTT - just let your BB go , no need to defend if you haven't got a hand to defend with. Anyway that's my humble, inexperienced, thoughts. See you at the tables soon Gl Mick
    Posted by VespaPX
    Hi churchy,long time player of plo8.It's always a good thing to know you have a problem with your play but a crime to keep on playing the same way.Players like Tikay, jason885 and probably myself don't play for the money but enjoy the challenge.We all see it every day complete newbies lucking every hand but 9 games later they are 1/10.It has to be said that plo8 is probably the most skillful game on skypoker and to play it long term needs strict rules of engagement.In your case if it's ok i'll give two bits of advice:1st:Know who you are playing against..make notes and adapt..even the best players are beatable:) 2nd:Never tilt..even if people are hitting one or two outers..always manage your chips and act accordingly..if for example i have Ak23 but 5,000 chips and 2 raisers..instinct says call but in a dym an instant fold in my opinion.i could write a book about the do's and don'ts of plo8 but vespas comments are valid and more valuable than mine:) I hope you do change a little as you are very lucky..skill and luck together will make you an almost unbeatable player gl m8
  • edited March 2014
    thank you mick i just seem too let myself get dragged into silly all ins when there is no need.

whizz thanks for the reply feel priveleged as only your 3 post in 4 years.... only joking seriously thanks for the advice and tips  that you and others have given..am i just lucky? or can i play a bit?

as i have said i know that i make some very bad decisions and plays.i.e the 1 v u earlier very bad call but as i said then i felt a bit under the cosh from u but i have no excuse was terrible play by me ..i am trying too tighten up and improve which slowly i feel i am doing(will open my sharkscope in the next month or so when i hit even again:@))

p.s had a wee look at my ss not the best but i have seen far worse and they have turned it around..hopefully by the end of may mine should be showing me in profit.

and if that happens i will be quite happy...anyway gl all and sorry for hijacking your thread tikay

• edited March 2014
    thank you mick i just seem too let myself get dragged into silly all ins when there is no need. whizz thanks for the reply feel priveleged as only your 3 post in 4 years.... only joking seriously thanks for the advice and tips  that you and others have given..am i just lucky? or can i play a bit? as i have said i know that i make some very bad decisions and plays.i.e the 1 v u earlier very bad call but as i said then i felt a bit under the cosh from u but i have no excuse was terrible play by me ..i am trying too tighten up and improve which slowly i feel i am doing(will open my sharkscope in the next month or so when i hit even again:@)) p.s had a wee look at my ss not the best but i have seen far worse and they have turned it around..hopefully by the end of may mine should be showing me in profit. and if that happens i will be quite happy...anyway gl all and sorry for hijacking your thread tikay
    Posted by churchy18
    No you are not just lucky but some of your all ins are dubious and i've seen you hit some amazing cards!! You even shocked tikay tonight:) I can promise you if you follow a few simple rules (all of which you know) i will put £10 to the charity of your choice (not joking) if you are not winning on your ss in 2 months...Iwill try to post more in future :)
  • edited March 2014

I'll introduce you all to Mr Whizzy tomorrow, he is one of THE greats of Sky Poker.

I'll reply to Churchy's stuff tomorrow, too.

• edited March 2014

Meanwhile, it is the last day of the month, so I have until Midnight for a last big push for Reward Points, & Bronze Leaderboard Points.

One last big squeeze, & I'll be there. Bit like having a baby, I imagine, I'll be mildly relieved when I'm finished. 

• edited March 2014

Sunday's results?

Ah yeah, been meaning to mention those.

Well, the thing is, things did not go quite as well as I'd hope.

Gory details tomorrow. And believe me, gory is seriously bad.

• edited March 2014
    Hello PLO8 community. That is it I am done. It has been fun and great banter but losing is just not THAT much fun.
    It is obvious that I am just not good enough and to be fair I have not played well in any form of poker for a while and my brain is scrambled.
    Goodbye and good luck
    Nick
  • edited March 2014
    Hello PLO8 community. That is it I am done. It has been fun and great banter but losing is just not THAT much fun. It is obvious that I am just not good enough and to be fair I have not played well in any form of poker for a while and my brain is scrambled. Goodbye and good luck Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi Nic, Sorry that you have not run too well. I'm sure others will be happy to give you some feedback and pointers to try and help you turn things around. My tuppence worth is that most of us play too many hands, after all look at Tikay, he plays about one hand every STT and he is a winning player.

If it's getting to you too much then have a break and come back when you feel like it again.

Good luck and I hope things turn around.

(Posted by Enut, who is also on a massive downswing - just look at my Sharkscope!)
  • edited March 2014
    Hello PLO8 community. That is it I am done. It has been fun and great banter but losing is just not THAT much fun. It is obvious that I am just not good enough and to be fair I have not played well in any form of poker for a while and my brain is scrambled. Goodbye and good luck Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Nick! Just take a little break from PLO8, that's all you need I think. We've played a lot of tables together and I can't really remember seeing you do anything daft. Anyone can hit a bad run at this game, IMO it's the most difficult form of poker here to be consistently winning at.  Many of the Regulars have negative ROIs, it isn't an easy game to win, so please, don't feel disheartened.
    If it makes you feel better, I ran super hot first part of my session today, 9 straight wins, then.. Whammy. Every great starting hand smashed to bits by any four cards rubbish, played by people in the strangest of ways. I often wonder if some who play the game get up at 4AM so they can drink for 15 hours before they start playing.
    Whatever you decide to do, chin up and all that.
    Best of luck to you Nick.
  • edited March 2014
    Hi Nic, sorry to see your on a downswing.

Like Macac I have played you a few times in hi lo and you are a tough opponent.

My advice is check your stats and see what your winning at and stick with that until you get your confidence back again.

In omaha if i dont win I always aim to lose with a good hand. So if you have a good hand be fearless.

You might look at choosing your opponents also as there are certain players I dont fare too well against so I try to avoid playing with a few of them at my table. 

Maybe even try a few low stakes its amazing what a few wins can do to your confidence.

Good luck whichever your decision

Ger
  • edited April 2014
    Posted by pompeynic
    Hi nic sorry i really have not played you enough too really have that much of an idea on how you play but the one thing i would say is just try get back too the basics and stick too it im sure that u will be able too turn it around as ger said try even looking at your previous games and look at who was playing when u win and who was on the table when you lose. and do a bit of bum hunting or just pick a table im on and then its only 2 u have too beat.

also try dropping down too the 60p or £1,15 games and start again from there and then u will have a lot more leeway too see the hands your opponents are getting it in with at a lot less cost and try and build your confidence up again. quite a few of the players who play the £3.30 and £5.50 games also play the lower stakes too. and 1 thing that has been getting drummed into me for a while is if it is a solid hand just get it in of course u will lose a few but overall you should win more than u will lose.

Make notes on players really does help..like the hands they get it all in with.do they slow play,do they barrel any card on the river and so on slowly u will build up a good reading on most players and then it is just a case of picking your spot.

I would agree with macac as well (hic) there is going too be alot of really bad play that gets rewarded but thats how it goes if we all played the game the way it should it would be very boring.

Anyway i hope you can turn things around and start enjoying the game again..all the best.. churchy
  • edited April 2014
    Slacking Mr Kendall ?

Had to search for this page!

How did March finish for you?
    Are you staying with the PLO8 DYM's?

Oh and Mother was back last night and reckons you were too scared to come and play her ! :-)
  • edited April 2014
    Slacking Mr Kendall ? Had to search for this page! How did March finish for you? Are you staying with the PLO8 DYM's? Oh and Mother was back last night and reckons you were too scared to come and play her ! :-)
    Posted by VespaPX

Ha!

Will do a full update, a March Report, + a 6 month Report, & what I plan to do next, either tonight, or tomorrow morning.

I will also reply at length to Pompeynic. We can sort that, no prob. I have a cunning plan......

(How typical of Team PLO8 that everyone was so supportive & kind, eh?).  

I've been a bit waylaid with other stuff this week, & have not been playing poker in the evenings. I'm going offline today, too, now, as I have some personal (non-Sky Poker) stuff to sort today. I'm going up to London. On a train. To see someone about a dog. Sort of.

PS - Tell the PLO8 Crew I miss them all, especially the fun & bantering. (Except MOTHER, obv).   

• edited April 2014
    My goodness!!

I go away for 2 weeks and look how standards have slipped

Get yourself sorted Mr K, stop chuntering around on other peoples threads, update your own and then slippers on, nice cup of coffee get the lappy out plonk yourself down on the sofa and PLAY SOME POKER!!

Phew rant over now breathe mother

See you at the tables

Mother

PS I know you missed me
    xx
  • edited April 2014
    My goodness!! I go away for 2 weeks and look how standards have slipped Get yourself sorted Mr K, stop chuntering around on other peoples threads, update your own and then slippers on, nice cup of coffee get the lappy out plonk yourself down on the sofa and PLAY SOME POKER!! Phew rant over now breathe mother See you at the tables Mother PS I know you missed me xx
    Posted by Amarie

Morning Mother, & thank the Lord for a cheerful person.

It's been a bit awkward for me this week, what with this & that, so not played all week. I don't find it easy to keep good focus on 6 or 8 Tables & try to field forum questions at the same time. Some days I can barely bring myself to even open the Community, I play poker, & engage with others on Forums to enjoy our great game, but the chunter levels seem to just get worse & worse. I have quite a stressy job, as many of us do, & poker is my escape, where I come to relax, & unwind. I guess we are all different, & each to their own. I probably enjoy playing poker more than anyone, but it's an exercise in fun for me, & I don't take it too seriously, in truth.  

Anyway, I'd best update my Challenge/results, reply to Pompeynic, & then discuss where I go from here.

Best regards to FATHER, I sometimes think life is a bit uphill, but crikey, I feel for him, what with you & THE DAUGHTER round his feet. He deserves a medal. 

PS - You are right, I did miss you a bit, in much the same way as I'd miss piles.

xx   

• edited April 2014

Sunday 30th March

Played 47

Won 17

Lost 30

Split....

£3.30 - Played 28, Won 11, Lost 18

£5.50 - Played 12, won 4 lost 8

£11.00 - Played 7, won 1, Lost 6

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £97.40

PROFIT/LOSS per game £2.07

REWARD POINTS = 214

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,205.19

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,640 (= £54.60)
  • edited April 2014

March to date........

Played 815

Won 456

Lost 359

Win-rate, January, 55.95%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £56.43

Profit
    /Loss per game February =
    £0.07
  • edited April 2014

Yikes!

How do these things happen?

In case you missed the headline numbers, I LOST at each of the three buy-in levels......

£3.30 - Played 28, Won 11, Lost 18

£5.50 - Played 12, won 4 lost 8

£11.00 - Played 7, won 1, Lost 6

Included in that was a run of 15 (FIFTEEN) consecutive losing games. This, in a format where 50% of 6 runners get paid.

How is that even possible, lol? FIFTEEN consecutive losing games. 

I'm very self-critical but I was not conscious of playing badly - perhaps a little too heavy on the aggro-pedal - but in a relatively low-variance game, it's not really likely that I could play my A-Game & lose so many games. So I guess I was making a good few mistakes.

If anyone had bet me I could lose 15 straight PLO8 DYM's, I'd have bitten their hand off, it's just not possible.

• edited April 2014

Monday 31st March

Played 21

Won 13

Lost 8

Split....

£3.30 - Played 8, Won 6, Lost 2

£5.50 - Played 9, won 5 lost 4

£11.00 - Played 4, won 2, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £6.10

PROFIT/LOSS per game £0.29

REWARD POINTS = 109

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,211.29

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 3,754 (= £56.31)
  • edited April 2014

March to date........

Played 836

Won 469

Lost 367

Win-rate, March, 56.10%

PROFIT/LOSS in March,
    £62.53

Profit
    /Loss per game March =
    £0.08
  • edited April 2014

A much better day, only £6 profit, but won 13 from 21, which is about par for me, I'd say.

Shame to end the month on a bit of a bad few days, but over time, it all evens out.

• edited April 2014

So, that's 6 months, & I think it's time to end this particular challenge, & move on to a new challenge.

I'm going to summarise everything (in approx terms) before putting it to bed. I'm therefore going to add in March's Reward Points, & also, I was very pleasantly surprised to get a £25 Bonus from the Bronze Leaderboard thing, so I'll include that as well. I know its not fashionable to say these things nowadays, but I thought the Gold/Silver/Bronze Leaderboards were really a first class idea, &, to my mind, a £25 Bonus just for playing the game I love is just wonderful.

So.....     

• edited April 2014

Starting Bankroll = £200

Closing Bankroll = £1,292.60

Profit = £1,092.60.

I'm chuffed to bits with that, & I'll probably put it towards playing a WSOP PLOL8 Event if I can get to Vegas this year. I've played 3 so far, & cashed in 2, so a third cash, variance being what it is, is unlikely, but, you know, it's all about living that dream. I had a nice cash in the UKPC Omaha, too, so I've got me a bit of a bankroll to do Vegas with, all being well.

In total (approx), I think I played around 3,300 PLO8 DYM's games in the 6 months, so I made a profit of around £0.30 per DYM, with an average buy-in of about £5. Not exactly crushing, or setting the poker world on fire, but it pleased me immensely, especially given my age. I'm not competitive at NLH these days, which batters the self-esteem a bit, so this went down a treat.

Teaching myself to 8 table was satisfying, too. And if I can do it, anyone can.   

Remarkably, of the £1,092 profit, I reckon around £300 came from Reward Points & sundry Promo Bonuses, so they added about 25%. Quite significant, really.

So that's the money side. 

Also.....       

• edited April 2014

I've made SO many friends amongst the PLO8 Community, who, to my mind, are the friendliest, & most sporting bunch I've ever met in poker.

I'd like to namecheck some of them, but I'll forget a few, & get myself in trouble, so I'd better not do that.

There are some grerat Poker "Ambassadors" amongst them though, which is a grand thing to see when so many folks seem to take recreational poker a bit too serious.

We've revved up the PLO8 liquidity & traffic a treat, too, & I'm pleased I played a part in that. There can't be too many Sites that have that amount of PLO8 SNG traffic these days.

All good, really.

• edited April 2014

I keep seeing reference to DYM's being riddled with collusion & jiggery-pokery, & this week has not helped in that regard, of course.

But in those 3,000+ games I played, I saw no evidence of it at all. And believe me, I'd recognize it if it happened, I'm not exactly wet behind the ears as to the poker world, & I've been exposed elsewhere to all the various dodges that some folks get up to.

From time to time, I'd see someone play a hand SO badly, that it could look like collusion, but generally, if you scratch beneath the surface, instead of hooting & hollering on the Forum without proper evidence, you can find a reason for "odd" plays.

One chap limped from the SB, & then folded when the BB shoved his last HALF a Big Blind in. Collusion? Nope. He was 12 Tabling, & simply not paying attention. It happens, I've done it, we've all done it. We don't have to assume everyone is dishonest, I much prefer to start from the other end. 

I did spot one multi-accounter though, as he repeatedly gave himself away by his chat, & everyone could see the score. I reported it, & he was never seen again.

And that was in a 3,000 game sample, so I don't think we need worry too much.