You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited July 2014
    Hi Tikay
    Mother went on holiday for three weeks just before you returned. she was wondering when you would come back as she missed you sooooooooooooooooo much.
    You are right breaking even did feel like a win, I also think I need to stop and think a bit more and as you said yesterday CONCENTRATE.
    Nick
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    Hi Tikay Mother went on holiday for three weeks just before you returned. she was wondering when you would come back as she missed you sooooooooooooooooo much. You are right breaking even did feel like a win, I also think I need to stop and think a bit more and as you said yesterday CONCENTRATE. Nick
    Posted by pompeynic
    Ahh, good, well I hope she has a very long holiday.

I agree as to concentration. TV, music, chatting at home or on the rail, surfing aircraft & concrete forums, stroking the dog, none of these things help.

With 2 or 3 tables open, my mind wanders, that's why I seem to do better with 6 or 7, as it makes me concentrate better.  

• edited July 2014
    Afternoon all PLO8ers
    I have been reading this with interest recently as it is a game I would be keen to learn.
    As Waller says, NLH seems to be getting harder (or I am getting worse).
    I have read the help pages elsewhere on this site a couple of times.
    The first read through went straight over my head, but I am slowly picking things up, I hope.
    With my modest BR, I don't want to be donating £5 a time to you regs, to learn.
    Last night I noticed a £1 DYM filling, so I jumped in.
    One player was v aggressive while the rest of us apperared to be just trying to work out what we were doing.
    I suspect I was not he only newby at that table.
    I didn't cash but enjoyed the experience anyway and shall try to play more when possible.
    My aim is to one day soon join you big boys on the £3 and £5 DYMs.

Good luck and keep up this excellent blog.

p.s. I don't chunter or abuse in the chat box, so I hope I will be welcome.

• edited July 2014
    Afternoon all PLO8ers I have been reading this with interest recently as it is a game I would be keen to learn. As Waller says, NLH seems to be getting harder (or I am getting worse). I have read the help pages elsewhere on this site a couple of times. The first read through went straight over my head, but I am slowly picking things up, I hope. With my modest BR, I don't want to be donating £5 a time to you regs, to learn. Last night I noticed a £1 DYM filling, so I jumped in. One player was v aggressive while the rest of us apperared to be just trying to work out what we were doing. I suspect I was not he only newby at that table. I didn't cash but enjoyed the experience anyway and shall try to play more when possible. My aim is to one day soon join you big boys on the £3 and £5 DYMs. Good luck and keep up this excellent blog. p.s. I don't chunter or abuse in the chat box, so I hope I will be welcome.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Welcome to the wonderful world of PLO8.
    GL at the tables
    Mick
  • edited July 2014
    How do we play pre flop in PLO8? Do we raise? Is limping acceptable/common? Do we cbet as per holdem?
  • edited July 2014
    How do we play pre flop in PLO8? Do we raise? Is limping acceptable/common? Do we cbet as per holdem?
    Posted by waller02
    How do we play pre-flop? That depends very much on the situation and the players around. A typical "it depends" answer to a typical poker question I'm afraid. The thing is to play hands that a chance of winning both pots. Almost never is it good play to chase one half only.

Do we raise? Yes. Agression is almost always good

Is limping acceptable/common? Yes. Way more common than in Hold'em. A raise is usually preferable to a limp (as in Hold'em) but a limp can more easily be defended pre-flop in Omaha High/Low as you're never going to be too far ahead or behind until you see the flop.

Do we cbet as per holdem? Yes, but in DYMs we don't have much wiggle room post flop once the blinds start to go up. You're making decision for stacks early on, especially if the pre-flop raise was "pot"
  • edited July 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : How do we play pre-flop? That depends very much on the situation and the players around. A typical "it depends" answer to a typical poker question I'm afraid. The thing is to play hands that a chance of winning both pots. Almost never is it good play to chase one half only. Do we raise? Yes. Agression is almost always good Is limping acceptable/common? Yes. Way more common than in Hold'em. A raise is usually preferable to a limp (as in Hold'em) but a limp can more easily be defended pre-flop in Omaha High/Low as you're never going to be too far ahead or behind until you see the flop. Do we cbet as per holdem? Yes, but in DYMs we don't have much wiggle room post flop once the blinds start to go up. You're making decision for stacks early on, especially if the pre-flop raise was "pot"
    Posted by FCHD
    N1 cheers for that.

The way my holdem dyms are going it won't be long before I try the change in format!
  • edited July 2014
    Curiosity got the better of me and I played my first £3.30 DYM. Had no idea if any of my play was correct. I didn't cash but at least made the final 4........although like I said, I was clueless.

Sorry to hijack this thread but just wanted to post 2 hands to see if I'm along the right lines or way off!!!

1. Is this Ok/bad? should I be folding river seeing as the board has paired??
    nick2109 Small blind  75.00 75.00 1738.75
    waller02 Big blind  150.00 225.00 2625.00
      Your hole cards
    • K

dawnwonder Call  150.00 375.00 1231.25
    jazzyjay05 Fold     
    tiga123 Call  150.00 525.00 3162.50
    tikay1 Fold     
    nick2109 Call  75.00 600.00 1663.75
    waller02 Check     
    Flop

• Q
    • J

nick2109 Check     
    waller02 Check     
    dawnwonder Bet  150.00 750.00 1081.25
    tiga123 Fold     
    nick2109 Fold     
    waller02 Call  150.00 900.00 2475.00
    Turn

waller02 Bet  600.00 1500.00 1875.00
    dawnwonder Call  600.00 2100.00 481.25
    River

• J

waller02 Check     
    dawnwonder All-in  481.25 2581.25 0.00
    waller02 Call  481.25 3062.50 1393.75
    waller02 Show
    • K

dawnwonder Show

dawnwonder Win high Full House, 5s and Jacks 3062.50  3062.50
     No qualifying low hand  
    2. Against the big man himself. Is this good enough to go to war with or is this a pretty average hand??? Clueless!! Although looking back I'm guessing it's pretty bad cos I already have some of my straight outs???
    tiga123 Small blind  75.00 75.00 2937.50
    tikay1 Big blind  150.00 225.00 1142.50
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

nick2109 Fold     
    waller02 Raise  400.00 625.00 918.75
    dawnwonder Fold     
    jazzyjay05 Fold     
    tiga123 Fold     
    tikay1 Raise  1125.00 1750.00 17.50
    waller02 ????
    Was fun though and I intend to play more after a bit more study!!!!
  • edited July 2014

I will post any other HH in the clinic so I don't spoil this diary. Just wanted to post a couple on here first cos all of the posters seem to be a knowledgeable bunch!

• edited July 2014

10th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 17

Lost 13

£3.30, P 19, W 11, L 8

£5.50, P 9, W 6 L 3

£11, P2, W 0, L 2

Opening Balance - £1,297.65

Closing Balance = £1,289.45

Profit Loss on Night - £8.30

Profit Loss on Month = £4.35

REWARD POINTS on night = 122

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 853 (= £8.53)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 211

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 115

WIN % = 54.5%
  • edited July 2014

On the face of it, not a good night, losing £8, despite winning 17 from 30, which is just about OK.

But I played 2 @ £11, & lost both, which completely skews the results. So I'm not too troubled, variance will take care of that, but it is a bit worrying that I'm not making any progress overall, being just break-even after 211 games, which is not much to write home about.

Plenty of traffic for most of the evening, & I knocked off 30 games in under 4 hours, which is remarkable for this time of year. SNG Traffic on Sky Poker is roaring along at the moment, the best its ever been at this time of year, so that's heartening for the winter.

I played OK most of the evening, but was a bit cross with myself for my early bath in the 2nd £11er I played. 

With Blinds medium sized & above, & unless I have an abso monster (A-A-2-x etc) I have a default of being "first to open" with hands like A-K-2-4 or similar. But if I have enough chips & time, if someone raises in front of me, I generally let these go. Why? Because by being the first to bet, at least 70% of the time, maybe more, I get it through without seeing a flop, & everyone folds. These are good odds, we can't lose if they fold pre.

But in this case, someone - might have been our mate Enut, opened first, & I re-potted. We had the same high hand I think (A-K), but he had a slightly better low, & he ended up with the wheel & got the lot. Think I should have just folded pre. Enut's range here is generally pretty solid, too, he does not open with spanners.

Anyway, no great damage, but a bit frustrating to lose those 2 @ £11, which equates to a £40 swing.

Am really enjoying these sessions now, & plan to play the next 4 nights in a row. I might go up to DTD @ the weekend, undecided at the mo, & I'm working Tuersday evening, but I reckon I might just decide to have 4 nights Online to really get my eye in.

• edited July 2014
    I will post any other HH in the clinic so I don't spoil this diary. Just wanted to post a couple on here first cos all of the posters seem to be a knowledgeable bunch!
    Posted by waller02
    Good to see you giving these a bash last night, & I hope you enjoyed yourself.

I'm going to start a dedicated PLO8 DYM thread in the Strategy section shortly, so feel free to use that to post any PLO8 hands.

Of the 2 hands you posted, my view would be.....

The first one, it's just a bit of a cooler really. You could not fold for less than 500, Dawn might just have three Jacks, but very often has the boat here. Not sure you should or could fold getting 5/1 though. It's a crying call I think. 

Aside from stack maths, generally if the board pairs in PLO or PLO8, it is very dangerous, & posts a great big "slow down" style red flag. We see LOTS of full houses in Omaha, so be careful, it's not like NLH where we almost never fold boats. If the board pairs on the flop, its easy to get away, on the river, when pot stuck, not so easy.

In the other hand, which was against me, I don't recall it, but judging from my stack size, I was looking for a spot. Whilst I don't recall the hand, I'd near guarantee that I had...

An Ace. 

Another high card, either K, Q or J. 

Two nice low cards with my Ace. 

Something like A-K-2-5 maybe. Just guessing, but that's my range here, given my stack size. You had a very pretty hand, nothing wrong with the bet, but in an ideal world, you'd want to see a high flop, as if the low comes you can almost never scoop.  Of course, if the Board does not come a low, you are near certain to scoopio.

Hope to see more of you in these games.

• edited July 2014
    Posted by waller02
    FCHD's answer was pretty much what I would have said.

Don't be a sheep & keep limping in, it has to be bad.

For balance, in Levels 1 & 2, it's not terrible to limp now & then, just don't get into the habit of doing it a lot, be very selective. If you see some players limping in every hand, as you often do, I can guarantee they are not profitable.

Limp in, catch a bit of the flop, call another bet, & it can soon get expensive. We need to preserve our ammo for the "aggro" stage from Level 5 onwards.

Limp-calling a raise is even worse. If the hand is good enough to limp-call, then we should have raised in the first place.

All IMO of course.

One little tip on C-betting. 

When we raise pre, 90% of the calls we get are LOW DRAWING HANDS. So even if we are on the Low, & have missed the flop completely, (lets say we have A-2-4-6 & it comes all high), we can still make that C-Bet, & mostly, they all fold quickly. When this one goes wrong though, & we get looked up, we don't 'arf feel daft.....      

• edited July 2014
    edited just to say, TK had answered you I think whilst I was typing this.

Hi Waller, regarding your 9 10 K A (ds) hand.
    (This is purely my opinion of course.....)
    It's the sort of hand that given the right situation, is worth seeing a flop with early levels, if you can get there v. cheaply that is. Later levels, given the right situation and if needs must, it's a sort of cross fingers and pot raise hand.

Someone will probably correct me, but it's something like a 70% chance that any board will produce a Lo hand. Given that you didn't have a drawing hand for any lo, you're gambling for the flop to bring flush/straight draws and high cards (or at least two) only, for you to scoop the lot.

If the 9c you held was a 2c or 3c, I'd be happy to get the lot in pre-flop if short stacked and at later levels. Actually, I would be pot raising with that if first to act every game of the week, but of course the usual answer regarding PLO8 is, it would depend on the situation, position, opponents etc etc.

That's what I think anyways, would be interested in what others think.
  • edited July 2014
    Hi Waller, regarding your 9 10 K A (ds) hand. (This is purely my opinion of course.....) It's the sort of hand that given the right situation, is worth seeing a flop with early levels, if you can get there v. cheaply that is. Later levels, given the right situation and if needs must, it's a sort of cross fingers and pot raise hand. Someone will probably correct me, but it's something like a 70% chance that any board will produce a Lo hand. Given that you didn't have a drawing hand for any lo, you're gambling for the flop to bring flush/straight draws and high cards (or at least two) only, for you to scoop the lot. If the 9c you held was a 2c or 3c, I'd be happy to get the lot in pre-flop if short stacked and at later levels. Actually, I would be pot raising with that if first to act every game of the week, but of course the usual answer regarding PLO8 is, it would depend on the situation, position, opponents etc etc. That's what I think anyways, would be interested in what others think.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    A brilliant analysis, imo.

Very interesting to note that, as you say, if we can add a suited deuce instead of one of the paint cards, this is then a premium hand to go to war with in any situation.

For example, this hand would rank as a Top 50 hand.....

A-2-10-9 DS.

Whereas this hand would be around 1,000 in the pre-flop hand rankings.

A-K-10-9 DS

See the difference thst 2 makes?

The difference that 2 makes is crucial, & huge. When we are dealt our starting hand, we always want to see A-2-x-x. We can go to war with most A-2-x-x hands. With A-K-10-9, as Maca says, we are gambling on a high only flop really.

• edited July 2014
    Thanks for those detailed responses Macacgirl and Tikay. Have to say I'm amazed at how much having the 2 in your hole cards improves the starting hand, will certainly take that on board.

Yeah it's a good idea introducing a PLO8 strategy section in the clinic because there is so much more to learn than certainly I ever realised. You can learn holdem (up to a certain level) just by playing but I definitely think PLO8 requires a lot more studying in order to become a competent player.

It's a very fun game though. I certainly won't be playing it instead of holdem just yet but it will be good to have some other form of the game to play during periods of boredom or run bad.

Thanks again. See you on the tables and best of luck.
  • edited July 2014
    Evening all

Thanks for all the advice you are putting on here for us new to this game.

I have put a hand in the SnG strategy section which I would like any advice with.

I don't know what I am doing still, so I don't know if I was correct or completely wrong.

Any help much appreciated.
  • edited July 2014
    Played a few games of this tonight with the regs. Very pre-flop focused but sat tight and made the last 4 in every game I played and turned a small profit.

I am fairly certain I made a few mistakes in not calling to try and eliminate shortstacks and I didnt have a clue which hands to play in the midstages so made very few steals. I will try a few of the mtts to try out plo8 with deeper stacks as it was a refreshing change from nlhe.
  • edited July 2014

11th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 31

Won 17

Lost 14

£3.30, P 21, W 12, L 9

£5.50, P 10, W 5 L 5

£11, P 0, W 0, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,289.45

Closing Balance = £1,287.15

Profit Loss on Night - £2.30

Profit Loss on Month = £6.65

REWARD POINTS on night = 115

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 966 (= £9.66)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 242

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 132

WIN % = 54.5%
  • edited July 2014

It all began so well.....

Best ever start to a session, I think, winning the first 8 games, but then it all went a bit pete.

Middle of the session was downhill, the last third I ran really ugly bad, but I was still on course for a profit, & was guaranteed to win more games than I lost. Ended up winning the game count 17-14, but losing 2 quid on the day.

The penultimate game was a disgrace. I got it in against some chap, & I had 137 outs twice, I was all over him, had him bang to rights. How well does that Jac35 run? Disrespectful to call my raises, too. 

War is declared.

• edited July 2014
    Played a few games of this tonight with the regs. Very pre-flop focused but sat tight and made the last 4 in every game I played and turned a small profit. I am fairly certain I made a few mistakes in not calling to try and eliminate shortstacks and I didnt have a clue which hands to play in the midstages so made very few steals. I will try a few of the mtts to try out plo8 with deeper stacks as it was a refreshing change from nlhe.
    Posted by jimb0d1
    Good luck Jim, enjoyed sharing tables with you last night.
  • edited July 2014
    Evening all Thanks for all the advice you are putting on here for us new to this game. I have put a hand in the SnG strategy section which I would like any advice with. I don't know what I am doing still, so I don't know if I was correct or completely wrong. Any help much appreciated.
    Posted by dragon1964
    Done!
  • edited July 2014
    It all began so well..... Best ever start to a session, I think, winning the first 8 games, but then it all went a bit pete. Middle of the session was downhill, the last third I ran really ugly bad, but I was still on course for a profit, & was guaranteed to win more games than I lost. Ended up winning the game count 17-14, but losing 2 quid on the day. The penultimate game was a disgrace. I got it in against some chap, & I had 137 outs twice, I was all over him, had him bang to rights. How well does that Jac35 run? Disrespectful to call my raises, too.  War is declared.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    Just seen this nonsense after I'd already posted on my fun little thread.
    I think you made your own bed in that hand. I do believe that I had raised initially. Now as you must have noted I was playing extremely tight. I was a little peeved that you had the temerity to repop it and so thought I'd teach you a lesson. You were holding ace high, king kicker in the end I believe. Admittedly, you did have a couple of outs and may have been a tad unlucky not to hit one of them. Nevermind eh, GG.
  • edited July 2014

12th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 31

Won 16

Lost 15

£3.30, P 22, W 10, L 12

£5.50, P 7, W 4 L 3

£11, P 2, W 2, L 0

Opening Balance - £1,287.15

Closing Balance = £1,298.05

Profit Loss on Night - £10.90

Profit Loss on Month = £4.25

REWARD POINTS on night = 119

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,087 (= £10.87)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 273

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 148

WIN % = 54.2%
  • edited July 2014

It was those £11ers that made the difference again, but this time, played 2 & won both. Makes such a difference if I can win those beauties.

One of them lasted less than an orbit. A new player arived & potted every hand, every street, it was most extraordinary. And then I found good Aces.

I'm not keen on getting it all-in pre in Level 1 of an £11er, but it had to be done, & some cheek-clenching ensued. He had 6-7-7-8 or somesuch, & I held without much of a sweat. "Phew" I thought, then a few hands later, no idea how, but it was all over. Yikes. Skill game.

On the run-bad side, mid-session I lost all connections for about 30 minutes. My Tables would not load, & I could not log out, log in, anything. It cost me 3 games @ £3.30, but fortunately, the £5.50 & £11ers I had Regged for did not start, so that saved me a few bob. 

It was fine once it "cleared itself", but a bit frustrating of course. It happens.

Had some great "cling-on" comebacks, most satisfying. Doubt I've ever seen a player who hangs in as stubbornly as FCHD though, he never gives up, great to watch. Never moans, either.

Jeez, there were some moans & groans last night. Moan when they lose, chirp when they win. It's extraordinary, every time they lose it is Sky Poker's fault, when they win, it's all skill. Guess they don't realise how daft they look when they spout that nonsense.

"Had a bad week, Sky has ****ed me over every night" said the geezer who ran his K-K-x-x into my A-A-x-x. Lordy lordy.....

My old adversary "Alexis74" was on the Tables last night. He is such a technically organised player, great to see, never wastes a chip.

Overall, I'm back in profit for July, by a smidgen, but I'm not quite clicking" yet, I should be winning more games. It might just be variance, I don't know, but I feel I ought to be doing better.

Even so, I've played poker most nights, it's not cost me a bean, & had some great fun with like-minded people. What's not to like?

Will be playing again this evening, though with the World Cup final mid-evening, I doubt it'll be very busy. Should be better tomorrow (Monday), but I'll be working on Tuesday, with Boycey & Lord Grumpy on The Open Golf Betting Preview Show on Ch 861.

Enjoy your Sunday.      

• edited July 2014

13th July Numbers & Stuff

Played 30

Won 13

Lost 17

£3.30, P 17, W 8, L 9

£5.50, P 10, W 3 L 7

£11, P 3, W 2, L 1

Opening Balance - £1,298.05

Closing Balance = £1,267.95

Profit Loss on Night - £30.10

Profit Loss on Month = £25.85

REWARD POINTS on night = 131

REWARD POINTS IN MONTH = 1,218 (= £12.18)

GAMES PLAYED IN MONTH = 303

GAMES WON IN MONTH = 161

WIN % = 53.1%
  • edited July 2014

Well that was a shocker, could not do right for doing wrong.

Lost the game count 13-17, just salvaging a bit of pride & money by winning 2 of 3 @ £11. Overall a loss of £30 though, which is quite embarrassing, not to say expensive.   

Not sure what I did wrong, but it felt like my hands did not hold. Some nights we run really good, others not so much. 

I made a really bad error early doors in a £3.30, when 2 of us had most of the chips, me with 3,900, & the Chippie 4,200. It was just a "sit & wait" affair, no need to do anything at all, just wait for a shortie to bust. He was BB to my SB, & I found great Aces & popped it up expecting him to pass, no need to get involved. You know the rest. Bad play by both of us really, but I guess I started it, & I could have folded at any point. Why do we do these daft things when we know for sure they are wrong? Ego, maybe, I don't know.

EvilPingu joined us late on, & he was completely bossing the last £11er that ran. I was shortie all the way, but picked my spots well & eventually doubled up, but Andy was still big chippie. Then I found the Aces, DS, & popped it up & Andy took me on with something like 2-3-4-6, but I held. Phew. Love to see these quality players in the PLO8 DYM's.

Much more traffic than I had expected, considering the World Cup Final was on mid-evening. 30 PLO8 DYM's @ £3.30 & above on a night like that must bode well.

• edited July 2014
    I have pm'ed you an invite to Our HitSquad Poker Tour leg, 3 Luton G , Tony!!!
    Sat 19th July, 3pm, £55 BI, Holdem.

Dont Know if you saw before you went to Vegas, 50 runners Max, nearly full, quite a few Guests form other Teams & Community, will find you a spot if you want!!

....Like Me....for some reason,  we are always welcome at a Poker table,lol.....tho prob diff reasons!!!
  • edited July 2014
    Also Tony...

Another invite for you & all on this thread actually as all welcome!!.....

The FOSP Holdem LEAGUE Tournie,  July Week 3 is Weds 16th July, 7.30pm, £5.50, ALL WELCOME!!!!!

NO PASSWORDS, NO REG THREAD, JUST JOIN IN & PLAY!!

Table & Admin c/o Carl, LuvBWFC, ty!!

Top of League at mo are jointly, Supercrazy & IrishRose Rosarie X

Best 2 agg scores to count..... 3 weeks & Chances to score left!!

Added Value Sky Prizes to be announced!!

Sky Lobby & registration HERE..

100 different people have played the 2 weeks so far..

Current Top 23, who have played both!

supercrazy 4
    IrishRose 4
    Brrrrrrr 14
    luvBWFC 26
    HITMAN_RV 34
    POKEY2011 38
    bbMike 39
    shirley02 40
    scwuffy54 41
    POKERTREV 41
    ELUNDERDOG 42