You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited February 2014

OK, I best try & get back up to date.

Many thanks to all the players on my Tables, & on here, who asked me to get back on the Diary. Been a challenging week for me, away from the Tables, but all's well really. Just a bit, you know, uphill right now, what with this & that. AS it happens, playing poker is my little sanctuary, I can escape from ills, woes & aggravation whilst playing, & I love it to bits.

First up, I think we need to review January, then we can move onto February.

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : My maths(not a strong point) played 6 £5.50=£33 won 4=£40 profit=£7 played 9 £11=£99 won 4=£80 loss=£19 over all=£12 loss
    Posted by belsibub
    I can't quite see where I got my numbers wrong there, but you are right. The important thing, though, is the overnight closing balance - that over-rides everything else, & that is/was accurate.

I'm glad you spotted the error though, & I hope you continue to check the numbers, it is important to get them right.
  • edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Quite right Seppe! Aggregate is the binding agent in concrete. Usually ballast, or even pea shingle, but it is the equivalent of flour in a cake, without it, the finished product is no good. Concrete is composed of cement, water, & aggregate. Mortar, of course, as used in brickwork, only uses sand as the aggregate, but I'm sure everyone knew that. But it is important to distinguish between concrete & mortar.   
    Posted by Tikay10
    That would make you the aggregate of SkyPoker then !
  • edited February 2014

January was very disappointing, & so I needed to have a good look at the numbers, & see if I could put things right.

I looked back at Oct, Nov, & Dec, & tried to do an approx comparison.

Oct Win Rate 55%

Nov Win Rate 57.92%

Dec Win Rate 60.11%

Jan Win Rate 53.82%

Profit/Loss Per Game

Oct £0.15

Nov £0.45

Dec  £0.73

Jan £0.05

So, lowest ever win-rate, & lowest ever Profit per game. They are, of course, linked.

Why?

I've no idea, but there has to be a reason, or reasons.

Anyway, after some thought, I decided to change a number of things in February.

• edited February 2014
    OK, I best try & get back up to date. Many thanks to all the players on my Tables, & on here, who asked me to get back on the Diary. Been a challenging week for me, away from the Tables, but all's well really. Just a bit, you know, uphill right now, what with this & that. AS it happens, playing poker is my little sanctuary, I can escape from ills, woes & aggravation whilst playing, & I love it to bits. First up, I think we need to review January, then we can move onto February.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    great too have u back tikay hope things all settle down for you and all the best ..Churchy
  • edited February 2014

Those numbers could of course just be variance - either I ran bad in January, or ran good in the preceding 3 months.

Maybe, maybe not. Losing players tend to blame variance......

Anyway, I decided to introduce some changes to my game, & methodology in February. It will be a short month for me, due to UKPC, where I'll be away for a week, but it still needs addressing.  

The changes I intend to make are.....

1) Adjust my betting ranges.

2) Adjust my calling ranges.

3) Adjust the stage (Level) at which I Raise. Previously, I was reluctant to Raise in Levels 1 & 2, as folks won't fold. I think that was an error.

4) Stop limping, even in Levels 1 & 2. They were the ONLY Levels I ever limped at. No more, I will Raise or Fold only at Levels 1 & 2 now. I've never limped at higher levels though, & I never will. Players get a bit cross with me when I only Raise, but I believe it to be correct. I fold 90%+ of ALL dealt hands, so I don't raise that often, but I can't be doing with this limping malarkey, it is just wrong.  

5) Increase the volume. Volume removes the variance excuse. Hi-Lo is low variance, & I think 600 or more games per month is enough to remove the variance excuse.  

6) Move from "overlapped" Tables to "Tiled". I did try this before, but could not get comfy with it, my eyes are not so good, & the tables are so much smaller, ditto all the details (Stack Sizes, Levels, etc). Anyway, I am playing "Tiled" now, & I can now easily play 6 at a time, though I find 7 is the tipping point. Previously, 4 was my preferred maximum. 

7) Add £2.25's to my regular mix. This adds volume, & at 3 points per game, if I manage 10 per session, = 30 points, that comes to 600 points in a 20 session month, equal to 20% of my 3,000 Reward Points Target.

So, let's see how that little lot works out.......

• edited February 2014
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : great too have u back tikay hope things all settle down for you and all the best ..Churchy
    Posted by churchy18
    Everything is OK churchy, thanks, just little real-life things, & UKPC is quite a thing & it stresses me considerably. Some real headaches have beset me this last week, but we'll sort them. 

Once Day 1b is "shuffle up & deal", I can relax, job done. It is VERY important to me to do my little bit to make UKPC a great success, I was given certain responsibilities, & I take them very seriously. 

I don't want to tempt fate, but the way things are shaping, it looks like being a tremendous success, a celebration of British Poker at its best, with all the big names present. We shall see.....

I'm not an easy person to work with, I want everything just so, so I'm not too popular upstairs right now, I imagine, they must get fed up with my relentless torrent of e-Mails, questions, suggestions & daft ideas. That'll teach 'em to entrust stuff to me. ;)

• edited February 2014

So, onto February numbers, new methods, will they work? 

How can I possibly lose?
  • edited February 2014

Saturday 1st February

Played 23

Won 12

Lost 11

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 22, won 12, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 1, won 0, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £12.00

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.53

REWARD POINTS = 120

BANKROLL at close of Play = £874.06

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 120 (= £1.20)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 23

Won 12

Lost 11

Win-rate, January, 52.17%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £12.00

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.52
  • edited February 2014

That went well then.......

So, the Bankroll, which peeped over £1,000 for just one day in December, continues it's steady decline, & is some £130 beneath it's peak. 

It needs to stay above £1,000 for 10 days before it counts, I think.

Anyway, I'm still dribbling money away. but it was my first day with my new procedures, so let's see how it goes.
  • edited February 2014

Sunday 2nd February

Played 6

Won 5

Lost 1

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 4, won 3 lost 1

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £18.75

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £3.13

REWARD POINTS = 32

BANKROLL at close of Play = £892.81

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 153 (= £1.53)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 29

Won 17

Lost 12

Win-rate, January, 58.62%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £6.75

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.23
  • edited February 2014

I was working that night, so just a short session. Too short to mean much, but it did please me to book a proifit at last, I'd almost forgotten where to find the blue font!

Anyway, all set for a major session on Monday, the first real test.  
  • edited February 2014

Monday 3rd February

Played 27

Won 16

Lost 11

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 25, won 15 lost 10

£11.00 - Played 2, won 1, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £10.50

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £0.39

REWARD POINTS = 145

BANKROLL at close of Play = £903.31

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 298 (= £2.98)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 56

Won 33

Lost 23

Win-rate, January, 58.93%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £17.25

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.31
  • edited February 2014

Disappointing amount of traffic, due, I suspect, to the MNF, Man C v Chelsea, & there were just not enough games going to test my new system really.

Still, peeped over the £900 barrier again, at last. Seems a long, long, way from £1,000 though.

Very enjoyable session though, I guess that is the main thing. An enormously frustrating weekend, away from poker, so it was good to escape from it all for a few hours.

• edited February 2014
    Hi TK

Which part of your new strategy, if any, has had the greatest impact so far?

Looking forward to you calling me with spanners :-)

Gl sir!
  • edited February 2014

Tuesday 4th February

Played 48

Won 32

Lost 16

Split....

£2.25 - Played 11, won 7, Lost 4

£5.50 - Played 30, won 21 lost 9

£11.00 - Played 7, won 4, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £53.75

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £1.20

REWARD POINTS = 253

BANKROLL at close of Play = £954.56

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 551 (= £5.51)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 104

Won 65

Lost 39

Win-rate, January, 62.50%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £71.00

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £0.68
  • edited February 2014

Better!

Much more traffic, & I at last got used to tiled tables I think. I had 7 on the go at one time, which was one too many, but I somehow coped, & did not make too many misclicks.  

Goes without saying that I ran embarrassingly well, but that cuts both ways, & over a large sample will even itself out. For now, I'm due a few bad beats.

Was a personal record for games played on a Tuesday, probably on any day, actually, & a whopping 254 Reward Points, too.

3,000 Reward Points has to be the target, as I get a 50% Bonus at 3,000, but I only have around 17 days in February that I can play, so will be a big ask. Gotta try though, love a challenge.

Can't recall the last time I won 3 on consecutive days.

Chuffed to bits that I stuck with Tiled Tables, it made a HUGE difference.

• edited February 2014

Wednesday 5th February

Played 45

Won 26

Lost 19

Split....

£2.25 - Played 13, won 5, Lost 8

£5.50 - Played 21, won 12 lost 9

£11.00 - Played 11, won 9, Lost 2

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £106.30 (£54.35 ON DAY, net of Reward Points payment) 

PROFIT/LOSS per game
    £2.36 (£1.21 ON DAY, net of Reward Points payment)

REWARD POINTS = 254

BANKROLL at close of Play = £1,060.86

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 805 (= £8.05)
  • edited February 2014

February to date........

Played 149

Won 91

Lost 58

Win-rate, January, 61.07%

PROFIT/LOSS in January,
    £177.30

Profit
    /Loss per game =
    £1.19
  • edited February 2014
    n1 Teeks
    loving the 60%+ & £1000+ stats
    long may it continue
    interesting tweaks you have made
    not so sure i want to join you on the tables now :-(

(I did think you were making a lot of changes at one go whereas staggering them in might have been a more evolutionary way to do it and give you a chance to bed each one in but well done you)
  • edited February 2014

a whopping 254 Reward Points, too. 3,000 Reward Points has to be the target, as I get a 50% Bonus at 3,000, but I only have around 17 days in February that I can play, so will be a big ask. Gotta try though, love a challenge.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^EDIT tried to highlight that part never worked^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

seeing as your days are limited not sure about how it would fit in with other things u need too do but there is always a few games running through the morning/ afternoon mostly the same players as at night just a thought as have never seen u in the morning and every little helps

that was a good amount of points u got  have been doing ok with them myself got 550 so far which is quite good for me especially with 3 and a bit days play the £11 games really help confident i,ll make the 2000  hoping for the 3000 so i get in the 3 freerolls and hitting the 3000 would get that extra £15 cps as well so hopefully.. good luck and see you tonight
  • edited February 2014

Well hello £1,000+ Bankroll!

Great night again, really getting into tiled tabling now.

The daily numbers are of course meaningless in some ways - I got a £50+ Reward Points boost yesterday, & somehow won 9 out of £11 @ £11. Lose half of those £11ers & the numbers look a whole lot different.

I was down to 2 Bigs in one @ £11, but one guy made the mistake of doubling me up THREE times. I'm not chest-thumping here, but it is never wise to double me up when I'm short, as I never give up. 

Great session, though had to truncate it, as I was a little unwell, otherwise it would have been 50 games +.

Have slept badly the last 3 nights, my back problems have resurfaced, so I'm walking about like an old man, all stoopy.

No Online poker tonight, am off to The Vic, (Tube strike permitting) to play the GUKPT Omaha jobbie. Tremendously excited, I've not played Live poker in months, can't even remember when it was, so long ago, & I don't think I've played Omaha in Live Poker since Vegas last year. I'm like a kid on Xmas Eve, counting down the hours!

It's £165 Single Re-Entry, so I expect that'll be £330 down the swanee, but I'm so looking forward to playing, & catching up with so many pals. Think I'm having dinner with Jeff Kimber & a few other pals first, & of course I'll be UKPC recruiting non-stop. Simon Trumper is playing, too.

Excited! 
  • edited February 2014

Thanks Gelders, Spanner-Man & Churchy, I'll reply tomorrow, I need to get some kip now, to prepare for my night out tonight.

I really can't tell you how excited I am, daft for someone my age really. I'll actually be so nervous tonight my hands will shake, they often do when I return to Live poker after a break, & folks will make cruel age-related jibes. Too bad, we all get old eventually, & I'll enjoy it once I settle down.

I played 3 WSOP PLO8 Events, & in every one, I was SO nervous for the first hour or two, but eventually I settled down.

Tonight is PLO, not PLO8, & I'm far weaker at PLO, but I've had a dozen or more Festival Cashes down the years, so I'm not a complete buffoon at the game. Just need a bit of run-good, eh?

I'll prepare my excuses in readiness. Nothing like planning ahead, eh?

I think playing (2,000?) PLO8 DYM's in the last few months has helped me improve my game a bit, but PLO* & DYM's are not muchly similar to a PLO Tourney. We shall see.
  • edited February 2014
    Thanks Gelders, Spanner-Man & Churchy, I'll reply tomorrow, I need to get some kip now, to prepare for my night out tonight. I really can't tell you how excited I am, daft for someone my age really. I'll actually be so nervous tonight my hands will shake, they often do when I return to Live poker after a break, & folks will make cruel age-related jibes. Too bad, we all get old eventually, & I'll enjoy it once I settle down. I played 3 WSOP PLO8 Events, & in every one, I was SO nervous for the first hour or two, but eventually I settled down.   Tonight is PLO, not PLO8, & I'm far weaker at PLO, but I've had a dozen or more Festival Cashes down the years, so I'm not a complete buffoon at the game. Just need a bit of run-good, eh? I'll prepare my excuses in readiness. Nothing like planning ahead, eh? I think playing (2,000?) PLO8 DYM's in the last few months has helped me improve my game a bit, but PLO* & DYM's are not muchly similar to a PLO Tourney. We shall see.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Set your alarm clock !!
  • edited February 2014
    GL and have a great night Mr k

(Hope the back is better soon)

Mother
    xx
  • edited February 2014
    Hi Tikay just some observations....however I've played very little games with you and I know Im by no means an expert. 

When I joined hi lo from what I could see people were stealing your blind a lot knowing your most likely to fold. I guess its a case of the tight player becoming a target which Im sure is something you want to avoid in dym. I think the adjustment your making to your ranges is good, yes it might not be statistically the best move but we are playing humans and not robots so I guess by increasing your range of calling people will think twice about raising you. Also people were likely to fold to your raises knowing you got a monster but by changing your raise range now people might call you which is what you want when you have a good hand right?

You mention your new method.....isnt it best to vary your method to keep people thinking? Unpredictability.

Anyhow great start to the month for you and very best of luck at the tables.

Ger