You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can an old dog learn new tricks?

Comments

• edited October 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    " a run of NINE straight wins, 10 x £5.50 & one by £11." Obviously your poker is better than your maths! Seriously, I watched a couple of the Omaha Hi-Lo DYMs last night, I didn't see a single mistake.
    Posted by FCHD
    Whoops!

Thanks, Edited now.

I try to play technically correct, & I get very cross with myself when I make a mistake, & I made one or two late on in the session due, I think, to tiredness, & so I decided to up stumps & give best for the day. PLO8 is a VERY technical game.

My logic is that, notwithstanding swings, swongs & variance, if I play technically correct, I'll be profitable in the long run. The fact that these play so shallow makes it quite awkward, as my game style is not ideal for that, but I'm improving I think.

Some of the plays I see make my eyes water, but we all play differently, & I'm fine with "each to their own".

I saw a Level One all-in preflop last night when one lad had 7-7-8-9. It's tough to imagine a worse PLO8 hand than 7-7-8-9. In PLO, it's OK, but not PLO8. 

7's, 8's & 9's are known as "killer cards" in PLO8, as if you play combos of them, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose over time, as you have no nut draws to either pot, & you are so thin to good High & Low hands, stranded in the middle, neither here nor there. The 7-7-8-9 hand won though. ;)

• edited October 2013

My "October Challenge" effectively ends today, as I have several Meets lined up in the day tomorrow, & the Show in the evening.

My Reward Points are currently worth £47.79, so it'd be good to reach £50, but it takes a lot of £5.50 DYM's to earn £20 worth of Reward Points in a day, so I might fall a shade short.

I'll be keen not to give back too much, or any, profit, too. 

If I can break even today, I'll have made £40 in profit, plus nearly £50 in Reward Points payments, in a month, off a £200 Bankroll. £50 of Reward Points payment off a £200 'Roll in one month seems quite good to me, & shows how low-variance PLO8 DYM's are, despite the daily swings.

I'll start again on Friday, and am undecided whether to stick to PLO8 DYM's, or switch to PLO. I need to commence dithering immediately.

I really enjoy PLO8, more than any other game, but I love PLO as well, & I fancy I could get more volume on PLO, as they must end much more quickly. Not sure if the liquidity is there, though, oddly, uniquely maybe, the PLO8 DYM liquidity here is better than PLO I suspect.  

• edited October 2013
    Hi Tikay, sorry to hi-jack you thread but did you see my PM regarding Fantasy SPT prizes?

Thanks
    Simon
  • edited October 2013
    My "October Challenge" effectively ends today, as I have several Meets lined up in the day tomorrow, & the Show in the evening. My Reward Points are currently worth £47.79, so it'd be good to reach £50, but it takes a lot of £5.50 DYM's to earn £20 worth of Reward Points in a day, so I might fall a shade short.   I'll be keen not to give back too much, or any, profit, too.  If I can break even today, I'll have made £40 in profit, plus nearly £50 in Reward Points payments, in a month, off a £200 Bankroll. £50 of Reward Points payment off a £200 'Roll in one month seems quite good to me, & shows how low-variance PLO8 DYM's are, despite the daily swings.   I'll start again on Friday, and am undecided whether to stick to PLO8 DYM's, or switch to PLO. I need to commence dithering immediately.   I really enjoy PLO8, more than any other game, but I love PLO as well, & I fancy I could get more volume on PLO, as they must end much more quickly. Not sure if the liquidity is there, though, oddly, uniquely maybe, the PLO8 DYM liquidity here is better than PLO I suspect.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Quite happy to join you for some PLO on Friday and beyond 

• edited October 2013

Wednesday:

Played 26, Won 12, Lost 14

The 26 were composed of....

1 x £2.25, Won 0, lost 1

22 x £5.50. Won 9, lost 13

3 x £11.00, Won 3 lost 0

Total invested yesterday = £156.25

Total invested this month = £1,522.65

Wednesday's Average Game Stake = £6.01

Overall Average Game Stake = £6.77

Wednesday’s Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.24

PLO8 DYM Average Profit/Loss per game = £0.15

Net Profit/Loss on Day = £6.25

Original Bankroll - £200

Current bankroll £215.20

Loss/Profit on month = £34.00

Loss/Profit overall = £15.20

Reward Points earned Wednesday - 243

Reward Points in month = 3,329

These Profit & Loss numbers EXCLUDE October Reward Points payment, currently worth £49.94

• edited October 2013

October PLO8 DYM's.....

Played 225

Won 124

Lost 100
  • edited October 2013

Just when you think you've cracked it......

Ran well early doors yesterday, & was soon £34 ahead on the day, but then ran into hewavy weather, & gradually gave the whole lot back, eventually finishing £6.25 DOWN on the day.

The damage was in the £5.50's, where I only won 9 of 22. Luckily, of the only three I played @ £11, I won all three, so that limited the damage.

So, having started the month @ £181.20, & little likelihood of playing today, due to work, ended the month on £215.20, for a profit of £34, & on top of that, I have earned a Reward Points payment of £49.94, so that means the profit on the month wil be £83.94. This is about 46%, so I'm pretty pleased really. Hardly likely to get me to Vegas, but I might get to Luton.....

Have got a bunch of meetings & stuff today, & the Show tonight, so that's probably about the lot for October, but I'll be starting again on Friday.  

• edited October 2013
    Hi Tikay, sorry to hi-jack you thread but did you see my PM regarding Fantasy SPT prizes? Thanks Simon
    Posted by Slykllist
    Hi Simon,

Yes, sorry I never replied. Am working from home this morning, but will sort out the Free Entries when I get to the office, early afternoon.
  • edited October 2013
    Hi Tikay, sorry to hi-jack you thread but did you see my PM regarding Fantasy SPT prizes? Thanks Simon
    Posted by Slykllist
    All sorted Simon, sorry for the delay.
  • edited October 2013
    No problem, thanks for your help as always.
  • edited November 2013

Dusting off the tumbleweed.....

With UKOPS, the SPT, & the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships stuff, not been updating this regularly, or playing as much as I would like, but I plan to continue in November.

The story so far.....

Began with £200, & played NLH cash only. That went well - not - & went down to £134.

Then reverted to PLO8, & recovered to £182 by the end of September. 

In October, I just played PLO8 DYM's, & ended October @ £215.20, a profit of £34 on the month, & about £15 overall. This EXCLUDES the £49.97 I am due for October Reward Points. I'll add that in when I receive it, probably Thursday.

In total, in October, I played these DYM totals....

Played 225

Won 124

Lost 100
  • edited November 2013

I had considered playing PLO DYM's in November, instead of PLO8, but liquidity is not adequate yet.

Hopefully, there'll be a PLO Promotion soon, & I'll get behind that, & we can, together, make a difference. I could play a LOT more PLO DYM's, as they are faster to finish, but I need enough games going, & they don't seem to run very often above £0.60.

So, PLO8 DYM's it is again in November.
  • edited November 2013
    OK, November scores on the doors so far.

Friday 1st November. 

Played 24

Won 16

Lost 8

Split....

£2.25 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 16, won 11, lost 5

£11.00 - Played 7, won 4, Lost 3

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £26.75

REWARD POINTS = 253

Great day, plenty of volume, played well, ran well, ran up a 9 game winning sequence, but then tapered off at the end.

Was not satisfied with my game in October, so had a long hard think, & decided to implement some tweaks to my aggression factor, calling & shoving ranges, & most of all, concentration. Seemed to make a big difference, but one day tells me nothing really.

BANKROLL at close of Play = £241.95

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 253 

• edited November 2013

Saturday 2nd November

Played 6

Won 4

Lost 2

Split....

£2.25 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

£5.50 - Played 6, won 4, lost 2

£11.00 - Played 0, won 0, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £7.00

REWARD POINTS = 30

Had to do the Show on Saturday, so missed the busy evening traffic, but pleased to get a few games in. Ran very good, got fortunate by default twice when we were 4 handed, as big stacks took each other on with fatal results for one of them.

These results all count though, paying heed to the other Table Stacks is a crucial part of these DYM's.

I TWICE (different DYM's) passed A-A-x-x pre-flop when I was dominant chip leader, 4 left, with 2 shorties on the table. In each case, I was SB to the deep-stacked BB, so it just made no sense to go to war with him. 

BANKROLL at close of Play = £248.95

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 283
  • edited November 2013
    Dusting off the tumbleweed.....   With UKOPS, the SPT, & the Sky Poker UK Poker Championships stuff, not been updating this regularly, or playing as much as I would like, but I plan to continue in November. The story so far..... Began with £200, & played NLH cash only. That went well - not - & went down to £134.   Then reverted to PLO8, & recovered to £182 by the end of September.  In October, I just played PLO8 DYM's, & ended October @ £215.20, a profit of £34 on the month, & about £15 overall. This EXCLUDES the £49.97 I am due for October Reward Points. I'll add that in when I receive it, probably Thursday. In total, in October, I played these DYM totals.... Played 225 Won 124 Lost 100
    Posted by Tikay10

What happenened to the other game????
  • edited November 2013

Sunday 3rd November

Played 25

Won 13

Lost 12

Split....

£5.50 - Played 22, won 12, lost 10

£11.00 - Played 2, won 1, Lost 1

PROFIT/LOSS on Day
    £5.25

REWARD POINTS = 330

My old problem returned to haunt me - concentration.

Was sailing along nicely, sun was shining, breeze behind me, when suddenly a storm blew up, & I managed to lose 5 on the bounce, out of nowhere. Hard to recover from that, & I did not. Did not do much wrong, just ran a bit bad in several crucial spots. Did not bother me, variance, da de da, but then......

In the Evening, I was playing the UKOPS Main, & also had to do 4 phone-ins to the Show. Now comes the concentration fail.....

For the phone-ins, I needed to be aware of UKOPS numbers generally, & also make notes of Table Companions, so I could give shoutouts on the Show. The Show rings me, then I have to wait for 3 minutes, listening to the Show feed, then they stick me through. Need to be all buzzy & oomphy, bright & cheery, fielding questions & stuff. Meanwhile, 3 DYM's are popping up & buzzing, plus the UKOPS Main. I find it quite a challenge to play a NLH MTT & PLO8 DYM's at the same time, too, as the formats are chalk & cheese, stack sizes are so disparate, everything is different mindset.

Some friends were on my UKOPS Main table too, including a close pal, "beardyjohn", & "High-Vis Natalie Bromley", so there was obviously plenty of chat & banter.

So excuses a-plenty, but I blame nobody but myself, I should either deal with the problem, or not play the DYM's when sort of "semi-working". Bit cross with myself really, but I suppose it could have been worse.   

BANKROLL at close of Play = £243.70

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 513

• edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : What happenened to the other game????
    Posted by shuv
    Ha!

Marv, I write a ton of stuff, & the only comment is about a missed number! Bleurgh.

No idea, messed up somewhere I guess, apologies.
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 55

Won 32

Lost 23

That's about a 58% win rate. Needs to be at least 60% really. Won more games than I lost yesterday (just!), but the rake turned me into a loser.

Must try harder. 

CONCENTRATE....... 
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Marv, I write a ton of stuff, & the only comment is about a missed number! Bleurgh. No idea, messed up somewhere I guess, apologies.
    Posted by Tikay10

Pfft.....what a fiasco!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Ha! Marv, I write a ton of stuff, & the only comment is about a missed number! Bleurgh. No idea, messed up somewhere I guess, apologies.
    Posted by Tikay10
    haha sorry, do read this on a daily basis (when its updated) and really enjoying seeing how you get on.  I do like to watch your games as well.

For someone who could be playing much higher, and has played in wsop events how do you motivate yourself for playing £5.50 DYM's???
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : haha sorry, do read this on a daily basis (when its updated) and really enjoying seeing how you get on.  I do like to watch your games as well. For someone who could be playing much higher, and has played in wsop events how do you motivate yourself for playing £5.50 DYM's???
    Posted by shuv
    Ha, no worries man, it's normal on any Forum to find mistakes & mention them, my bad, I should have double-checked. Lack of concentration, see? I'm pretty sure my mental dexterity is not what it used to be. Guess it's to be expected at my age, but I do feel it very keenly.

I'm glad you commented, too, the thread does not get many replies, & we all like to see replies on our "own" threads of course.

The "motivation" thing is a terrific question, it really is. Not sure I know the answer though....

I don't know really. Whenever or whatever I play, pride comes into it. I want to do whatever I do well, or better than before. Hence the thread, it "outs me", & so it adds pressure having to Post the numbers, especially bad ones. And we live in a knocking society, so plenty of folks would enjoy seeing me fail, & I'm not short of detractors, though I generally get great warmth on the Tables, I must say.

Many of my daily opponents - it is largely the same bunch of players - don't know I've cashed in 2 from 3 WSOP PLO8 Events, & I often get told I have no idea how to play, you know how it is when you stick a beat on someone...... 

I think it's just because I really love the game, & the whole thought process needed for PLO8. I am on auto-pilot for hand ranges, as I've played it for a goodly while, but the more important part in DYM's is stack dynamics v other stack sizes when 4 handed. That's actually the key part really, knowing who will give a walk in the blinds when 4 handed. I almost NEVER make up my SB 4 handed, or after Level 5, for example. Not enough chips to be splashy in these things.

Always strikes me as odd 4 handed when I am Billy Big Stack in the BB, & the other Big Stack is in the SB, & the two shorties both fold. Why on earth does the SB feel the need to "make up" the BB, what has he got to gain? We are both playing the shorties, or should be. In reverse spots, I never make up the SB here. If I do, the BB had better be careful, as I'm seriously strong.....;) 

Of course, these thoughts must NEVER be commented on in the Chat Box, that'd be close to collusion, but any thinking player should know the drill.

I do know that when I am the Shortie 4 handed, I LOVE to see the Biggies go to war!  

I should mention that I played 3 UKOPS Events last week, all of them NLH in various guises. Cashes? 0 from 3. Butchered hands (ALL shown on TV), plenty. Pretty embarrassing, to be honest, if truth to tell, but it comes with the territory. 

I shared tables with some players in last night's UKOPS Main who blew me away with their standard of play, & aggression levels, notably "bolly580", "MOX1958", "Herbie356, "beardyjohn" & others. Honestly, I've watched more poker than almost anyone, as a commentator on TV, & at Live Events, & as a player over 15 years, but I still don't know how these guys do it. Fact is, NLH has left me behind, I'm deffo the value these days, & yhat stings a bit, it just does.

Maybe that is why I fell in love with PLO & PLO8, because I still genuinely feel I have the game, & am not scared of any player's ability. So that may just be the "motivation" answer.

I stil burn with ambition, too, despite waning mental powers. Every single day I dream of returning to Vegas next year to play some PLO8 Events, especially WSOP ones. My 3 WSOP PLO8 Events are the most enjoyable & thrilling 3 Tourneys I have ever played, bar none. I play little PLO8 Events all over Vegas when there, too, & turn a nice profit every year, without fail. I generally sell a bit of action to personal friends elsewhere, & it's a lovely feeling to send them back a bit of profit each year.

2014, who knows? We shall see. 

Sorry to have rambled on a bit (a bit?...) but I'm in that sort of mood today. Sort of "after the SPt/UKOPS/Sky Poker UK Poker Champioships/Big Week for Ch 861" activity of the last few weeks, the calm after the storm.       

• edited November 2013

LOOK AWAY NOW…… 

…unless you are a real geek.  

I played an odd POLO8 hand yesterday, & it set me thinking about the wonders of poker & a deck of cards, & why is it such a universally loved game, it can do THE most improbable things. 

The hand was odd, because….well, let’s go through it.  

Firstly, an explanation may be needed to understand PLO & PLO8.

In NLH, we get TWO cards, & can use 2, 1, or even 0 of them. 

In
    PLO, we get 4 cards, & within those 4 cards, we MUST use 2. So we have SIX x Two card hands.  

For example, if we have A-K-Q-J, we have this “team” of different hands. We can & must only use one team.  

A-K

A-Q

A-J

K-Q

K-J

Q-J 

In PLO8, we play for two, completely unrelated pots.

In both cases, again, we must use 2 cards.

The High & Low hands can use different cards, OR they can be the same two cards, or one of the two in both.

The Low hand does not conform to normal poker rules - pairs, sets, flushed, Full Houses don't play.  

So now we are playing TWELVE Two Card hands, 6 with one set of rules, 6 with another. If we plan to win both pots - & we should never enter a pot unless we do -  that’s a lot of combos.  

So, this hand yesterday. 

I had A-A-K-K, double suited.

A cracking PLO hand, but a long way short of great at PLO8, as it has no low capabilities.

Not even a Top 100 PLO Hand I'd say. (Start with such as A-A-K-2, A-K-K-2, A-K-2-2 for "Best" PLO8 hands).

But 4 handed, with 6 Bigs, it has to be played, & what will be will be.

Matey Boy had, intriguingly, K-K-2-3, four suited.

So he at least had a Low possibility, which was more than I did.

His High has to be in a world of hurt though!

Now lets’ break each of our hands into two card teams. 

I had these 6 hands (ignore the low hands).  

A-A 

K-K 

A-K 

A-K 

A-K 

A-K 

He had..,…. 

K-K 

K-2 

K-2 

K-3 

K-3 

3-2.    

And he won the hand. There was no low, but it came 2-3-9-10-J, so he won the HIGH with 2 pairs!  God bless the old 3-2.   

The surprising thing there is that because so many of our “outs” were gone, he was still a 25% shot pre-flop to win the High. He was freerolling the Low, too.  

How can you not love this game?
  • edited November 2013
    Everybody loves some rambling from you TK. :)
  • edited November 2013
    Everybody loves some rambling from you TK. :)
    Posted by GreekWay
    Shush George, shush.

How are you, anyway? Still studying?
  • edited November 2013
    The maths of this game just hurts heads.

From a rough calculation (that may well be wrong!), there is ~51% chance of any 5 card board containing low possibilites (that there are at least 3 separate A-8 cards on the board). The chance though that your low cards will connect with the board and therefore qualify are going to be a bit lower, and then, once you've managed all that you've got to have a better low than the opponent to win half the pot!

I'm very new to this game but the dymanics are very interesting (for geeks??!).

Based on the above is there ever an argument for entering a raised pot playing with a high hand only if you know your opponent is only entering pots with high and low potential (and therefore their high potential is reduced?)?  I guess the answer to this is no, perhaps because we see the flop multiway a lot of the time??
  • edited November 2013
    The maths of this game just hurts heads. From a rough calculation (that may well be wrong!), there is ~51% chance of any 5 card board containing low possibilites (that there are at least 3 separate A-8 cards on the board). The chance though that your low cards will connect with the board and therefore qualify are going to be a bit lower, and then, once you've managed all that you've got to have a better low than the opponent to win half the pot! I'm very new to this game but the dymanics are very interesting (for geeks??!). Based on the above is there ever an argument for entering a raised pot playing with a high hand only if you know your opponent is only entering pots with high and low potential (and therefore their high potential is reduced?)?  I guess the answer to this is no, perhaps because we see the flop multiway a lot of the time??
    Posted by bbMike
    In fact, I think that just makes my question irrelevant!
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Shush George, shush. How are you, anyway? Still studying?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Don't shush me. :). I am telling the truth. I like your poker ramblings. I don't like your train ramblings though.

I am not too bad thanks. I am still studying yes, but I am dealing with some health issues my dad has, so I haven't been involved in poker for quite sometime which is a shame but certain things come first and health is one of them.
  • edited November 2013
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Don't shush me. :). I am telling the truth. I like your poker ramblings. I don't like your train ramblings though. I am not too bad thanks. I am still studying yes, but I am dealing with some health issues my dad has, so I haven't been involved in poker for quite sometime which is a shame but certain things come first and health is one of them.
    Posted by GreekWay
    OK, no trains. Concrete interest you?

Sorry to hear about Dad, hope things soon improve. Dads are the best thing in the world, ever ever ever.

• edited November 2013

Monday 4th November

Played 15

Won 9

Lost 6

Split....

£5.50 - Played 13, won 7, lost 6

£11.00 - Played 1, won 1, Lost 0

PROFIT/LOSS on Day £9.25

REWARD POINTS = 78

Reasonable session yesterday, won 66% of DYM's played, which is OK, we need 55% to break even, above that & we are in profit.

Plenty of games going all evening, they were starting evey 15 or 20 minutes, but almost no interest at the £11 level, unfortunately. Luckily, I won the only £11 that ran. 

I register for every £5.50 & upwards, the moment the new Table spawns in the Lobby. This has the effect of attracting others to Register, & once 2 are Regged, they fill soon enough.

Yesterday's profit was only £9, but that made up for the small loss on Sunday, & a bit more besides.  

October's Reward Points Payment is due on Thursday, just under £50, if I can avoid a downswing by then, we'll be over £300 from the starting £200, so that is a nice goal to aim for.

This month's Reward Points stand at 594, (just under £6), after 4 days. Would love to hit 3,000+ again, but that's a big ask given my time constraints. Think 2,000 would be hard, actually, but I plan to try.Free money, gotta love that.  

BANKROLL at close of Play = £252.95

REWARD POINTS at close of play = 594
  • edited November 2013

November so far.....

Played 70

Won 41

Lost 29

Win-rate, November, 58.5%

Break-even is 55% (assuming level stakes), so I need to get that win-rate up a bit, 60% minimum really. Then it just needs volume.